To Change Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Then we'll simply have to improvise." Ronin answered simply, taking another cookie. It was one he almost choked on then as he started to laugh, his companion's words creating genuine mirth in his gaze as he alternated between chuckling and coughing, unable to do both and yet unable not to. When he finally got over the latter, he replaced the former with a wide grin, pale green eyes glittering in mischief.

"Oh, many times. I find it a compliment. Too many people don't know HOW to be children. It's quite sad." He practically inhaled another cookie and then made himself stop, knowing they had to last a little while. It was thinking like that which actually gave doubt to his words. Ronin actually did know how to be a responsible adult - and had to be one too often, so when he got the chance to goof off...he did. And when being childish could actually solve a problem - like with the flour - he was more than willing to do it that way instead.

It was that kind of thinking about food, though, that made him as thin as he was - that and the constant running - but Ronin hardly seemed to note it. He didn't eat that much anyway. Too busy. Too distracted.

"So, we don't know where we are landing. We don't know how many of them there are. We don't know what they want, not yet and we don't know what kind of weapons they have. And that's all well and good, but Anya, what kind of plan would you make going on that information?"

True. Few could find their inner child once reaching adulthood, but Anya preferred to be her inner child while also being the responsible adult. To have fun and play around while also being responsible was something that had to be balanced, or else it could turn out badly. Ronin seemed to have the balance somewhat under control though, even though he was far too keen on improvising instead of actually thinking up a plan.

But was it even possible to come up with a plan in their current circumstance? Anya had to think on that for a while, because she did not want to give him the sad answer of 'I don't know' when she just had told him to not improvise and make a plan instead.

"Blackmailing." She suddenly said. "If they had wanted to simply kill the prince, then they would have done so already. The logical explanation for why they want him is blackmailing. We might not know for what, with whom or why, but at least we know they need him alive." Anya said, now mumbling to herself more than actually talking to Ronin.

"If that's the case, then he would be of no use dead." Duh, that was the point of wanting someone alive. But when the wheels was turning in her mind, then she said every little thing out loud even if they were far too obvious. "If someone were to threaten the prince life, then they would have to do something to stop it, even if that meant back away so that they didn't become the cause of it." Well, that was more than a plan than his improvising plan.

"Though if they don't care if he's alive or not, then we will all get killed and everything will have been in vain." Anya then said, knowing that such a thing also could be a possibility. But, she had come up with both a theory and a plan if that theory was correct, and thus proven that based on the little they knew, they could at least speculate and come up with some ideas. Then if they could be used or not, they would not know before they could land.

Ronin listened to his companion attentively, catching even the words she didn't direct at him and a small smile sat on his face, not mocking or condescending, but interested, almost proud in an odd way. He was glad she was smart. He rather liked smart people, but more if they were using that intelligence to do something worth while, something beneficial and good, something noble and honorable was even better. The fact that Anya seemed to possess this rare and special quality was delightful to him.

So he listened and only when she'd finished did he start to poke holes - small ones - in her plan, more to see how she'd problem-solve than to be cruel or antagonistic or even a know-it-all. He wanted to know how she thought, how she would do if she had to think quickly, on her feet so to say.

"All right, say they want the Prince alive and will do whatever it takes to keep him that way - are we going to threaten his life? What if we later need him to trust us? If we've threatened him, he's not going to do any such thing and we will have another problem to solve. One that might require we do something neither of us want to do or are even willing to do."

He tilted his head, genuinely curious about her answer. "And what if we do threaten to kill him, but thinking we are the enemy, he escapes us? Then we have a Prince to find an no leverage against his enemies who will now want us, too. Most-likely they will want us dead, but perhaps alive so they might know who we are and who we are working for, as they will assume we are acting under orders."

Good points all of them, and maybe something a bit hard to get around. It would all depend on the situation. Did the prince even know he was being kidnapped yet? And even if he did, which of two evils would he rather face?

"The man on the phone said that they were going to poison his body guards after having taken off, so the chances are high that the prince already knows that something is wrong even if they haven't told him that they're kidnapping him. On top of that they will be landing in a different location than planned. They would need a pretty good lie to make him think that nothing is wrong." Anya pointed out. Sure even if the prince knew that he was being kidnapped already, being kidnapped a second time wouldn't make it any better.

"We don't need him to trust us, we only need him to think we are better than the people whom are already kidnapping him." She said before coming up with a proposal. "Maybe if we gave him a message. First off we would have to make sure what they actually wanted with him, so we would have to follow them. During that time we could try to get a message to him, telling him that we shall try to get him out of there."

Towards the end of her sentences she started to mumble once again, not entirely sure how that would work. "Though if we don't dress up as one of the kidnappers and are able to fool them, then I don't see any way of getting close enough to giving him a message. If they aren't incredibly bad guards that is."

It was definitely not a realistic plan to think that they would be tricked just because they wore clothes that looked like theirs. It couldn't possibly be that simple. They would notice immediately if the person getting close was someone they knew or not. Except if they were a big organization, then they would know that they might not have met everyone that worked with them. The problem was that they didn't have that information yet.

Good points and Ronin nodded slowly, thinking about what she'd said, finding flaws, yes, but until they knew all the facts, they would make errors. It was to be expected. At least he'd not been wrong about them not checking the cargo. Ronin knew as much as they abruptly heard the plane start to come to life again and the dark-haired male sighed, but scooted back into their shelter once more, expecting that Anya would follow, both of them getting as comfortable as they could for the next half of the flight.

"We might be able to get him a message. That's a good idea. We'll just have to see where they take him and what kind of access we might have to his location, but it's a very good idea. Hmm..."

Biting his lip, Ronin ran a hand through his hair, the shaggy length sliding through his fingers and growing even more messy and slightly spiked, too. "'Course, we will have to wait until we are there and seeing things to make a lot of decisions." He smiled, shrugging slightly. "Hence the reason I try not to worry about plans overmuch. Most plans are broken rather quickly anyway."

In his experience, plans rarely worked and when people planned, they tended to have nothing to fall back on and they panicked and made worse decisions than they might have if they'd just improvised in the first place. But that was just his way of looking at the world and he was able to acknowledge that Anya might view it differently than he did.

And he was willing to listen to her plans if that was what she needed to feel more prepared for this rescue mission. But whether those plans would work or not...was anyone's guess.

As the engine started once again, Ronin and Anya moved back to their little hideout which warmed and comforted them. Anya moved up beside him once again, like a child in their fathers loving arms. It would be some agonizing hours, and hopefully they would be able to get through them with their lives intact.

She thought of what he had said for a few moments, in her mind she agreed. Plans was rarely followed. "Plans are only guidelines. If they don't work correctly, then you either have a few back up plans, change your original plan, or throw away the plans all together depending on the situation. Never trust a plan blindly, but always make sure that you have at least one so that you don't find yourself completely lost." Anya told him, giving them a middle ground in the discussion.

The height steadily increased and even though it still hadn't gotten cold, nor had the oxygen levels sank, Anya was still feeling uneasy. Of course it could have to do with the fact that they were hundreds and soon thousands of meters up in the sky and a crash would most certainly kill them. "Five hours." She mumbled, even though she knew it wasn't a fact. It could be five minutes or it could be fifty hours. They did not know for certain. But at some point they would land. If it was in a landing or in a crash, they did not know. Hopefully they would land safely.

"How many time periods have you visited?" She suddenly asked him. It would probably be hard for him to remember all of them if he had traveled for a long time, but now when they soon would enter a height with little air for them to breath, it would probably be better to talk about something fun instead of plans that might or might not be useful to them.

Middle ground. He liked it and Ronin accepted the compromise with a slight nod and a smile before going silent again, leaning his head against the boxes behind them, his mind wandering as he studied the boring metal 'ceiling' until Anya's voice stirred him from no one particular thought, more like a jumbled mess of random sayings, images, ponderings and the occasional meaningful memory. He made a 'hmming' sound as if questioning her and then registered the question, 'hmming' again for an entirely different reason as his brow furrowed in thought.

"Good question. Let me think about it."

And he did, carefully, before finally tilting his head and looking down into the green eyes that watched him, his own pale version thoughtful, but sure. "Around six hundred and fifty, I think. Maybe closer to seven hundred. And I think I have been more to the past than the future, but both ways you go are pretty interesting."

He smiled, curiosity in his gaze. "When we leave here, in what direction do you want to go next?"

"S..six hu..hundred?" The number was so high, and still he did not seem to be very old. Either the time machine stopped his aging or he did not stay very long at those destinations. "Wow..." She breathed. That was more adventures than she could stomach. Did he never get bored? Did he never think about quitting? Or was that the only life he could imagine? There would always be something new to see, every culture had different things in every time period, so just visiting every country in the world during one time period would take one to two hundred trips depending on which time period you were in and how many countries existed during that time. Then there were hundreds, or thousands of time periods to see. There was an unlimited amount of possibilities.

After having calmed down a bit, she could finally analyze his question. "If I go even further forward I won't know anything of what I see. It will be exciting at first, but in the end only confusing." She confessed. Forward was something that couldn't be done too often, or else the magic of it disappeared. If she would travel forward with him again, then they had to wait until the events of this trip had sunk in.

"If we go back, then I'll know it from what I have read in books, but it will also be new as books only tell pieces of it." Even though Anya seemed to be arguing on where to go, she had since long made up her mind.

"I want to go backwards next time. Somewhere far back. To something familiar yet completely strange." She had some ideas to where she wanted to go, but her mind was not yet made up, and if it never were then she would not mind him deciding for her, or have them flipping a coin over it. A surprise was always interesting.

"Backwards it is then." Ronin replied with a chuckle, still thinking over her words and how they differed in opinion. In the end, he spoke those opinions because there was nothing else to do and no harm in it. They were merely getting to know each other after all. It would soon start to sink in to Anya - and it would - that she'd hopped into a time machine with a complete stranger who might not have her best interests in mind. For all she knew, he did this all the time and the pretty girls he took with him never came back. She knew nothing about him, nothing about his intentions and still she'd come with him.

That both intrigued Ronin, made him willing to take her, but also concerned him on some level because only someone who felt they weren't worth much or that they had nothing to go back to - or just simply didn't care if they were hurt - would do something like that. Maybe Anya wasn't severe in any of these ways, but there was still some part of her that was....willing to take a dangerous risk and that was both useful when needed, but also hazardous in and of itself.

He would know.

So he wanted her to know as much about him as she could - and as much as was safe for both of them - before that realization hit, that she was with a complete stranger.

"I like the future the most. I have to travel to the past so often that...well, it gets wearisome. I am willing to do it with you because seeing another person's reaction makes it exciting again, but I like the future. I like being confused. I like not knowing anything, but that's perhaps because I know too much." He shrugged, starting to shiver again.

"I like the challenge of figuring everything out and seeing what we've done with ourselves, good and bad."

Could the past get wearisome? It sounded impossible. How could it when there was so much to see? Thousands of books could come to life right in front of ones eyes. Anya could never imagine getting bored by it, only more and more intrigued. While the future was completely unknown, you'd never know what you'd find. Maybe it would be dangerous, maybe it would be harmless. At least history books would give you some ideas of how it was, but the future... Nothing could tell you before you got there.

Maybe she did fear the unknown. Maybe that was why she had not left her home earlier. She did not know what would happen if she left. She did not know how far she would get before something got in her way and pulled her down into the darkness. Something inside her had just waited for a chance to get away. And finally she had found it. It wouldn't have mattered if it had been a sailor or a time traveler. As long as it had been someone willing to give her the adventure she longed for but was too scared to face on her own. Someone that could push her into the unknown so that she then could continue on her own.

It was quite lucky that it had been Ronin of all people. Someone else might have used her or hurt her, or even killed her. At least she seemed to have left with someone that wouldn't leave her lost on the roads when they got tired of her.

"How do one know if something is good or bad? What is the deciding factor?" She asked, pulling a blanket closer to her as the temperature lowered once again. "Something one person might consider bad might be considered good for another. No two people will look at something and have the exact same opinion of it. Thus good and bad becomes quite irrelevant."

Well, that was quite a question!

Ronin blinked, thoughtful and sat back a bit more, head tilted and his eyes slowly roving the floor, back and forth as he thought about a response. And he didn't just want to give Anya one, but wanted it to be what HE believed, how HE saw right and wrong because if it wasn't HIS opinion, then what use was it? He'd just be repeating what someone else had theorized and that wasn't the same. She wasn't asking someone else or looking it up in a book, she was asking HIM.

"I think what you say is true; that everyone will see good and bad in their own light, but I weigh those things on a more extreme level. I don't just see 'good' and 'bad'. I see 'righteous' and 'evil. I see 'benevolent' and 'malevolent'. There are ways to judge both an action by the intent behind it and then by the results of the action itself."

The dark-haired male sighed, breath starting to fog and bit his lip, thinking of a way to explain. Finally, he seemed to come up with an example.

"All right, say I break your arm. Just knowing that, could you say if what I did was good or bad? Most would say bad, but I say look deeper into the reasons behind it and to the results after the action. Say I am angry with you because you hurt me and I want you to hurt as much as I do. So I break your arm and for the next few months you are unable to move it and are then terrified of me. Would you say that was good?" He raised a brow, not really expecting an answer, but wanting her to think before he went on.

"Now, say your arm was recently broken and is now healing, but it's not healing correctly. So to be kind, even though it will hurt, I break your arm again. I did it with the intent to help and the end result is that you are in pain for a time and your arm is useless for a few months, but it heals straight and you can then use it properly when it's healed. Would you say that was bad?"

Ronin shrugged, one arm still around Anya, offering warmth, but the other was picking at his jeans at his knee, pale green eyes watching his fingers even as they started to go numb with cold. He didn't seem to note it, lost in some other time or memory even as he continued to speak rather intelligently, only sounding slightly distracted. "There are always gray areas, but there are also ways of categorizing good and bad by intent and result."

Anya listened to his words intensively. He did certainly have some good points, though she could not agree with his view completely. On the other hand, who could ever agree with another persons views completely? They would always differ in one way or another, though those differences was very seldom brought to light.

"Good points." She agreed. "But when it comes to humans, aren't the grey areas usually the biggest area?" She then asked as she curled up a bit more as it became even colder. "An action can be bad or even evil, but that does not mean that the person is. People have through all times done evil actions and justified them all with either religion or politics or other things. Would you say that they are evil even though they themselves thought they did good?" Of course she did not expect an answer to her question, just like he had not expected one of her.

"Let's take your example with the breaking of ones arm. If someone broke you arm on purpose, but then said that it was to save your life from the devil, something they could not prove was true or false, would that be a good or a bad act? In reality, most people believe that their acts are justified for one reason or another, sometimes it's logical reasons and other times it's reasons no one can understand other than the person giving the reason." Anya explained. Most people in her own time period would probably have told her that she was completely wrong and simply gone with the, if you break the law or hurt someone then you're bad, explanation without looking more into it.

"An act can be good or it can be evil, but the intention is very often good, or at least justified in one way or another for the person doing the act. Even a thief, when stealing, can think that they deserve to own the thing they are stealing and thus in their own mind it becomes a justified cause. In their own minds the believe that simply because they could not afford it doesn't mean they shouldn't own it. Doesn't that leave almost every human that does evil in the grey are because they believe it is for a justified cause? We can only really say that an action is bad or evil, but the people doing the action will more often than not both have good and bad attributed, putting them in the middle of the scale."

She might have rambled away a bit, but how could she not? It was seldom she found someone whom wanted to discuss such things on a deeper level than what the law book said and the eyes saw.

Ronin listened very carefully to Anya, thoroughly enjoying her own theories and the cleverness of her mind. It was not often he found such thinking in his travels, or the time to hear such thoughts come to fruition in a conversation. So, just as much to distract himself from the building cold, and in pure interest, he listened to his new companion very closely indeed and finally the dark-haired male frowned thoughtfully, not upset by her logic, but seriously debating whether he had a legitment argument against it.

Or even just anything to add.

After a time, he knew he did. "While what you say is very much true, and I won't refute it, I will point out that you're combining two very different aspects of this debate. Yes, they go together so tightly it's hard to distinguish the two, but there IS a difference between them." He smiled a bit, showing he wasn't upset. "You asked me how to know if something is good or bad, not someone and there is a line between the two things."

Ronin shifted his body a bit, growing numb on the side closest to the opening in the boxes and he instinctively curled a bit more over Anya even as she curled into him. There was nothing but a protective inclination that made him do so, but even that was strong in the dark-haired male and he'd rather sacrifice his warmth for hers. It was just the way he was wired and always had been.

"It is very true that with humans, there is rarely a black and white method, but for actions, there still are for most. A good person might think they are doing something good that causes far more harm than it ever does good. That action, therefore, is defined as bad. Whether the person committing the action was bad is another question all together. A bad person thinking they are doing something bad that actually results in something good did a good action, no matter their motivation behind it."

Ronin tilted his head, thinking over his own words and smiled a bit sheepishly. "All right, so perhaps I mixed people's intent with the results of their actions, too when I spoke a few minutes ago. It is hard to separate the two, but I still hold to the idea that actions themselves can be measured whether there is certain intent behind them or no intent at all. Some actions are just bad and some are good, and most times you can judge them based on the outcome they produce."

"I stand corrected." Anya giggled, entertained that both of them seemed to have gone away from the real topic without realizing it before later. But she wasn't quite ready to let the topic go just yet as one thought had stricken her when Ronin had spoken. "Though while certain actions almost always are bad, there are always times when the exact same action is good or gray zoned because it's done in a different culture or for a different reason or just by a different person whom the law can't touch so easily."

"Killing is always bad they say, but then we start wars and send out our soldiers to kill other people both in defense and for greed. How is it right to kill random people in another country because of war when it's wrong to kill random people on the street when one aren't a soldier in war? Both versions has the same outcome. In both versions innocent people will die, and still one is completely acceptable by almost all societies while the other isn't."

Her father would have raged if he had heard such an argument. Soldiers were heroes that saved the country from evil from across the earth. How could anyone doubt their goodness? Well, the other side also believed that they were the good side, so that argument didn't say much about the morality of the matter.

"I would argue that the supposedly good act of killing in war is the worse one. Not only does it take much more lives from both sides, but during many wars people have been raped, robed and tortured by enemy soldiers no matter which country they came from. Still that is what people usually praise and worships. They are our nations savior, let's not care about all the people who suffered because of them since they speak a completely different language. As long as we can't understand them then we don't need to care about their feelings."

The last sentence wasn't entirely correct as she made fun of the population of the earth. The dispute between America and England had nothing to do with language barriers. At the very least they weren't killing each other. Yet. Anya was certain that at some point they would get into a war, and England would be doomed.

"I guess you can't have that excuse though, since you understand every language in the world because of that machine." She laughed and noticed that she now could see her breath when she breathed out. In just some hours they would land and it wouldn't be cold any longer.

Well, she certainly had firm opinions!

Such a thing, Ronin found he liked and he nodded slowly, debating his words carefully and finally speaking softly. "I concede to your argument. I don't have one against it. You make very valid points and speak them well."

A frown flickered across his eyes, though, and the dark-haired male shifted his body a bit, this time in indecision before he finally decided to speak. Anya had been rather open with her opinions and she had yet to shrink from his. Maybe, just maybe....something might come out of this trip despite how messy it was likely to get. Ronin....he'd like that. To maybe have a friend again. But friendships started with honesty and openness - for the most part.

"I...I am one of those people who say killing is wrong, Anya. I don't...care who's doing it or why or how. It's wrong." He sighed and shook his head, hair falling into his eyes, ignored. There was some tinge of bitterness unspoken in his voice. "I'm not saying that killing is never necessary. It is. Sometimes it is horrifyingly necessary, but it's still wrong. A necessary evil, but still an evil."

Ronin paused for a moment, memory flickering through his thoughts before he shrugged a bit and made himself relax again - well, at least as much as he could while shivering - and he gave a slight smile to the blond. "I'm not trying to debate that. It's just my opinion, that's all."

Never would Anya have been praised for her thoughts at home. Mostly because her family had strong beliefs which included a non thinking housewife. A woman should be seen and not heard. A thinking woman was dangerous to both herself and people around her. Both Anya's free spirited behavior and her philosophic mind did not fit her parents world views.

But it wasn't like that with Ronin. He listened, and made his own arguments when he had some, or agreed or disagreed when he could. That was more than anyone around her at home would ever even think of doing. Not only was the subject far too taboo, but she was also a woman whom raised them. Both was a big no no.

Anya looked up at Ronin as he started to speak again. He seemed awfully tense all of a sudden, and it couldn't all be because of the cold. Her eyes studied him. There was something he wasn't telling her, something that seemed to be painful to his mind. Memories maybe. She could never imagine what a time traveler could have seen during his life, but at the very least she was sure that death was one part of it.

"Killing is sometimes necessary." She agreed. "And it's always wrong." She continued, still agreeing with his opinion. "Sometimes you have to do wrong to make things right. Though if possible, it should be avoided." She continued before she ended it. "And that's my opinion." It was nice to meet someone with the same opinion as oneself now and then. Sure, most of the people Anya had met were against killing, but they weren't against killing in war, or executions of criminals or any so called legal ways of killing someone. It seemed that Ronin was the only one that had ever agreed with her over the matter. No life should ever be taken if it wasn't a necessary evil for the greater good.

"I do hope we won't end up as ice cream before we land." Anya mentioned with a shaky laugh since it was far too cold. After such serious discussions about death, maybe it was time to change the mood. Or else they might just loose faith in humanity and decide to let themselves freeze to death up there.

Her comment elicited a laugh from Ronin as well and like that, the tension was broken.

The two spent the rest of the flight exchanging more stories, most about growing up, going more into their elder years than younger, but they found most of the time they got sidetracked with Ronin having to explain a cultural difference or what something he'd mentioned was. It was lengthy conversation, useful and it kept their minds from sleeping as the flight stretched into hours.

Eventually, though, they were once more descending and it was starting to warm again marginally, but enough to be noticeable to the two who were so cold and hope rose within them again, but also nervous apprehension as they realized that while landing would help them with their chill and oxygen deprivation, it would also present its own challenges. Namely how they were going to rescue this prince.

But even without a true plan and knowing there was danger ahead of them, they could not help but be relieved when the plane finally landed and then stopped, the engine cutting off after a time. They both crept out of their shelter, toward the hatch that would let them out, but keeping close to the boxes they'd have to duck behind if the door opened.

And then it did and Ronin grabbed Anya, pulling her down with him as a middle-eastern man with a gun came up into the hold, going to the trunk closest to the door and one that Ronin and Anya had not opened without even looking around, seeming not to care about the state of boxes around him or just not familiar with how things should have looked. Spinning in the combination on the lock, he opened the case and started pulling out more guns, studying them. At that point, the time traveler took his companion's hand and carefully stood, giving Anya a look and then tilting his head toward the ramp.

They needed to sneak out now or they might be in here for a very long time. If that hatched closed, they weren't going to be able to get out from the inside. And there was no guarantee that these men would need anything else in this cargo hold.

It took hours for them to reach their destination, and it was incredibly hard not to fall asleep. But they had many stories to tell, many facts to share, many conversations to partake in, and even though it didn't help them to breath better, at the very least it kept them awake and alive. Eventually the plane started to go down and the temperature started to rise, and the air came back to their poor starved lungs.

Now the big issue was how in the world they would help the prince, and how they would get out of the plane without being seen. It would be one of the hardest challenges of all, especially since they did not know how many men awaited them out there, nor if they even landed on an airport.

Once they landed, Ronin and Anya sneaked out from their warm little boxes made igloo and kept near some boxes, so that they would be able to hide if worse came to worse. And eventually the big doors opened and someone came in. Ronin and Anya hid behind the boxes and watched a man, with clothes and appearance Anya did not recognize, enter into the back of the plane.

Ronin gave her a nod towards the exit, suggesting that they needed to get out of there now. She nodded back, showing that she understood and the two of them made their way out, sneaking behind the guard without him even realizing it. Anya looked back worriedly, hoping he would not turn around, luckily he seemed busy with observing those strange things. They did look similar to a rifle, but slightly shorter but thicker. She only recognized her own times weapon from books, and had never seen them in real life before.

Right before they were going to exit the flying machine, they noticed men standing in a group, seemingly waiting for something. With great carefulness, they sneaked out and hid before they were noticed. As the man had been talking to each other and not payed much attention to their surrounding, they had not seen the two strangers. They probably did not expect much trouble since the only one on the plane should have been one defenseless prince.

The plane had landed outside an old abandoned storehouse, in which the two had sneaked in. There were old unusable cars, rosty and dusty, not having been used in many years. Then there were a few new ones, probably the kidnappers vehicles to get to and from the place.

"If you have a plan, then I would love to hear it right now, because there comes the victim." Anya murmured as they finally opened the main door and brought out the prince. He was not tied up, nor had he been made unconscious, probably since he would not escape with so many guns directed towards his body. The men on the ground immediately stopped chatting and looked intensively towards the plane, ready to do something if he against all odds would try to escape. Would they truly not kill him if he did? They had a lot of weapons. But if they wanted him dead, then the amount of people they had was a bit outrageous as they didn't need that many to kill one man.

"Should we hide in a car?" Anya then asked, as that might be their only way to follow them. Though they might get found that way.

Ronin hissed softly through his teeth in indecision, tilting his head slightly this way and that as he thought over their options, going through as many results as his brilliant mind could conjure up before he made a choice. All the while, he could feel a faint buzzing, pain growing at the back of his skull, a warning that he was running out of time and the dark-haired male finally came to a decision, knowing it was likely that any choice they made would go wrong somehow.

But HOW wrong was something they had to choose carefully.

"Yeah, we'll hide in a car. We don't have any time or information to do anything now." He didn't much like the idea - at all - of being stuck in a car with a gun pointed at his face if they were caught, BUT, Ronin was also still pretty sure that if they WERE caught, there would be an 'ask questions and then shoot' idea going on. These people would want to know who they were and how they'd gotten here, what they knew and who they might have told. Of course, neither Ronin nor Anya were working for anyone, but that wasn't the point and it could be used to their advantage.

He was truly counting on it as he and the blond moved from their hiding place, carefully inching toward the car Ronin had chosen. It was a covered jeep of sorts and it looked to him like there was some stuff in that back, bags and such, that they might be able to hide among. It was worth a try and as they climbed into the back, Ronin realized he was shaking slightly and made himself stop.

They'd be fine.

And Karen's plan in this would be stopped.

Everything would be fine.

The traveler looked to his companion, speaking softly, barely more than a whisper as the men grew closer, pushing the prince into a car. "You all right?"

Anya waited for the time traveler to make a decision. He was the more experience of them and should know what to do. Maybe she was depending on him a bit too much. But what other choice were there when they were stuck in a different time with things she did not understand, and in a situation that most people would have been running away from? Besides all that, she did trust his judgement. And if it did turn out badly, they would just have to make their way out of the mess. She was definitely over confident on the point of surviving, but she had decided that she would not die, thus she wouldn't no matter what.

Finally Ronin decided. To the cars. Anya followed him. They could hear the men's voices come closer from the outside and they would have to hide fast or else they would be seen. Luckily they find a place that might give them invincibility from the foreigners. They climbed into the back of a car and hid among the things.

The car door opened and the prince seemed to be protesting the rough behavior, then some muffling sounds and then he was silenced. He had probably gagged him. Anya took some time to answer the question Ronin had asked her, as she didn't know what to say at first. But she did not want to lie to him.

First when the engines on the cars started, the girl decided to speak. "I'm not hurt." She whispered. "But I'm a bit scared." She then confessed. There was no way she could lie to someone whom had told her he would never say something false. How many cars had started? Two or three? It was hard to hear over their own engine, but there were at least one more.

"Maybe you should worry about yourself. You're quite pale." She teased him, trying to calm both of them down a bit. "See it from the bright side. at the very least it's warm now." Anya joked. They had to be just as close to each other as they had been on the plane, or else they wouldn't hear each others whispering over the noise of the car, and they couldn't raise their voices any louder or else they would definitely get caught. Luckily the men in their car were talking a lot, and were still unaware of their free passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.