To Anyone Who Uses MagicSetEditor (MtG Related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerziQuerzi

Failures don't get into paradise
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy of varying types. Some sci-fi.
I'm working on a new set (my first in over a year) and am immediately hitting that dreaded roadblock: mechanics. I know what I want the general theme to be (memories), but I can't really expand on that or start designing cards until I have the base mechanics down.

Now, there are two already existing mechanics that fit well into the memory theme: Threshold and Flashback. It'd be nice to be able to use both, but they don't play well together (since flashback removes cards from your graveyard, making Threshold harder to trigger) so I'll have to choose between them.

I've also got a tentative new mechanic that fits in with either of those: Remnant. A pseudo-keyword like Threshold that cares about being on top of your graveyard. Examples:

Remnant — During your upkeep, if Elvish Poet is on top of your graveyard, gain 1 life.
Remnant — {W}: Target creature gains first strike until end of turn. Use this ability only if Silver Duelist is on top of your graveyard.

One idea I had for the story was that there was a conflict between two planeswalkers native to the plane, revolving around the Mortistone. A magical landmark that allows the spirits of the world to live on - in a way - even after death.

The first planeswalker would be supporting it, under the argument that death no longer seperates you from your loved ones, and it allows the past and present to work together.

The second planeswalker would be against it, under the argument that the lack of change causes the world to stagnate, and the increased influence of the past prevents the present from creating a better future.

A potential mechanic tied to this would be Intangible.

Intangible (You may have this creature assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.)

Does anyone have any ideas for other mechanics, or comments on the ones above? For new ones, it'd be nice if it wasn't graveyard focused, in order to 1) expand design space, 2) diversify strategies, and 3) avoid having the set become a thematic and mechanical Innistrad 2.0.

Last edited:
Current keywords I've decided upon for now (so I can at least start making cards):
  • Threshold (Pseudo-Keyword)
    • Threshold -- {EFFECT} as long as there are seven or more cards in your graveyard.
  • Intangible (Keyword)
    • Intangible (You may have this creature assign it's combat damage as though it weren't blocked.)
  • Surge (Keyword)
    • Surge {COST} (You may pay {COST} and discard a card to cast this card from your graveyard.)
  • Ordeal (Keyword)
    • Ordeal (At the beginning of each end step, if this creature dealt or was dealt damage this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

And now, a bunch of 1-drop commons to provide examples:
ywIgWov.jpg

I25oylB.jpg

YyTjgbL.jpg

xMGtITs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.