'Tis The Season Of The Spoopy' Film Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
HEY. SO HALLOWEEN'S TOMORROW. AND IF YOU'RE AN ANTISOCIAL REPROBATE LIKE ME WHO DOESN'T WANT TO GO OUT DRESSED UP AND GET HAMMERED, THAT MEANS BUT ONE THING.

HORROR MOVIES.

Since the vast majority of horror movies made at the minute are utterly devoid of anything that even vaguely resembles a redeeming quality, however, I thought I'd chuck a thread up for people to fling movie recommendations about for the season of the spooky.

I'mma start with more recent horror films that have been released in the last year or so.

IT FOLLOWS

YES I KNOW IT WAS FILMED LAST YEAR BUT IT WAS RELEASED IN 2015 SO I'M COUNTING IT AS A 2015 FILM. I've watched this movie roughly four times now, and I'm still noticing things I missed in the previous viewing. It's weird, dreamlike, excellently-written and the titular 'It' happens to be fucking disturbing. Probably one of the best horror movies to come out lately. CHECK IT OOT.

THE BABADOOK

Okay, confession time. I don't really rate this movie all that highly. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent horror film in its own right, but I'm still a little perplexed at the amount of praise that's been lumped on it compared to some similar films. That being said, everybody else I've spoken to or seen this thing with absolutely fucking loves it and can't recommend it enough. So hey, maybe I'm just being a pedantic fuck. Either way, it's better than most of the shite they put out at the minute.

AS ABOVE, SO BELOW

I was... genuinely not expecting this one to be as decent as it was. 'As Above' ticks all the boxes that denote a shitty horror movie; low budget production, shot in that tired old 'found footage' style. But they actually manage to do something interesting with this one, sending an archaeologist and a team of urban explorers down into the Paris catacombs in a plot heavily steeped in Kabbalic mysticism and alchemical theory. It doesn't always work, but its good for a watch.

HONEYMOON

A'ight, can't recommend this one personally as I've yet to sit down and watch it, but the fiance has been screaming this one's praise for the last two weeks and demanding that I watch it. So I dunno. The reviews are good (surprising for a horror movie), the premise seems interesting and it has Rose Leslie of Ygritte fame as one of the main characters. Might be something you'll enjoy.

GOODNIGHT MOMMY

GODDAMN AUSTRIA, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE HORROR MOVIES THIS FUCKING CREEPY.

I'd colour this one as another of the standout horror films of the last year. It shares a lot of similar themes with The Babadook, but in execution and pacing its a very different movie. Plus the two child actors can actually, y'know, act. Which sets it above The Babadook right off the bat. I don't really wanna say too much, lest I wind up spoiling something, but seriously: this one's fucking brilliant.

THE GREEN INFERNO
'The Green Inferno' Trailer #2 (2014): Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy

Alright, I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for an Eli Roth movie. I've liked his shit since Cabin Fever, and The Green Inferno is Roth on bath salts. This thing's been in production since 2012 and they've had to fight tooth and nail to get it released this year, so I was most excited. If you're familiar with Roth's stuff (he's the guy who made Hostel), you'll know what to expect. If you're not, then prep yourself for excellent building of tension and a metric shit-ton of gore. This one's not for everybody, but I fucking love it.

---​

That's all I got for now. I'll try and scrabble together another list later, but for now WHAT YOU CHUMS RECOMMEND WATCHING THAT'S SPOOPY?

Suggesting Paranormal Activity will result in you being called a pleb

• Love
Reactions: Darog
Aranormal Plaquetivity?

I'd say Unfriended. Great watch from a teenage perspective. Plus, if you're a Mac Geek, you may geekgasm. Jussayin'.

I feel like this year was pretty weak for Halloween horror releases. I mean I am going through the list right now and am having a hard time. I am going to edit once I find something of note.

HEY, SO I FOUND AN OLD LIST OF DECENT ASIAN HORROR MOVIES THAT I THREW TOGETHER A WHILE BACK. HAVE IT.

KAIRO (PULSE)
It's not necessarily aged well (something that's inevitable, given the film's focus on technology), but Kiyoshi Kurosawa's 2001 exploration of the way computers and information technology isolates humanity is one of my favourite films to come out of the J-Horror scene. It's a slow movie, as is often the case with Japan's horror films, but it's also one of the most overwhelmingly depressing pieces of cinema I ever done did saw. There's an American remake, too. You shouldn't watch it. It's fucking abysmal.

AUDITION
I'll try not to mention Takashi Miike too much in this list, but that may be difficult; he is, hands down, my favourite horror director to come out of Japan. I went with Audition over some of his other horror flicks, as it was the first film of his I saw and a damn great introduction to Miike's style overall. Though it retains the brilliant and unflinching brutality he's known for, Audition isn't the most excessively graphic thing he's produced.

If you wanna see how far Miike's willing to go, check out the episode he directed for the Masters Of Horror series. It's pretty fucking grim, as a heads up.

I SAW THE DEVIL
Korea's home-grown horror scene has been starting to garner some much-deserved international attention of late, and it's films like this wee doozey that show why. The violence in this film isn't the overblown, numbing gore a lot of American horror goes for, so overdone it doesn't inspire much of a reaction; I Saw The Devil makes you feel it, keeps it gritty and grounded enough to seem real. Combine that with Choi Min-sik's brilliant performance and you've got a classic, right here.

THIRST
Let me sell this movie to you in one sentence.

Korean director makes the best damn vampire movie you're gonna see in a long time.

Let me add another sentence just to sweeten the deal.

This film was made by Park Chan-wook, the same guy who made Oldboy and the other two phenomenal entries that make up the Vengeance trilogy.

Sold? Fucking right you are. Now go watch it.

No classics? ; ;

I watched this with my aunt when I was younger. it scared the crap out of me, and it still does. I'm a wuss. =/

An obscure, old movie. I think the kid in the movie is scarier than anything else. They used to play it all the time when I was younger, and the damn thing haunted me all my life. Watching when I was older (With kids!) makes it even creepier.

The Lazarus Effect is pretty spoopy.

Any J-Horror film will do.

Crimson Peaks was a really nice movie. Not overly spoopy. Like, 4 bones out of 10. But super pretty.

One of the J-horror that really gets under my skin is The Locker. If you think watching people being haunted by a fetus sounds like a good time, then I totally recommend it. I think its still available in DVD form through Netflix.

Ah horror movies my old nemesis, I want to watch them cause being scared can be fun but I'm weak when it comes to gore or if it gets to me enough I start to sleep walk again. Damn you horror movies I want to like you damnit!

That being said I did just watch a top 11 list of guilty pleasure horror movies and one that stuck out to me that I want to try and watch with the family tomorrow was one called Trick 'r Treat with the monster/killer/whatever being advertised as a trick or treater which seemed neat. Also heard it really captured the look of Halloween very well.

Crimson Peaks was a really nice movie. Not overly spoopy. Like, 4 bones out of 10. But super pretty.
>:[ 10/10, would gothic horror again! XD I loved that movie when I went to see it with school. XD

ALSO, ALSO. WATCH 28 DAYS PREVIOUSLY AFTER. GREAT FILM.

>:[ 10/10, would gothic horror again! XD I loved that movie when I went to see it with school. XD

ALSO, ALSO. WATCH 28 DAYS PREVIOUSLY AFTER. GREAT FILM.
Overall score I'd give it a solid 8, But it turned out to be less a horror movie then I anticipated

Overall score I'd give it a solid 8, But it turned out to be less a horror movie then I anticipated
That's how gothic horror kind of is XD It's not so much scary as very creepy. And of course, with gothic horror, the scariness doesn't start immediately, which I found pretty cool.
The sink and the ghosts were the best!
:D

CRIMSON PEAK.

THAT IS ALL. YOU ARE ALL HEATHENS IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

The vast majority of "horror" films don't frighten me. Sorry... not sorry...?

That said, here's a duo of horror films that I enjoyed.

...and the sequel...

Status
Not open for further replies.