1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Pseudo-Historic, Romance, Gothic, Urban Fantasy, Steampunk
There was silence and then there was an evening of hoarfrost. Outside the mansion, the air was so clear and still that Astrophel could practically see the shimmer of tiny ice crystals forming. His room faced the snowy countryside, which was a most curious juxtaposition of movement and perfect calm. The bare branches of trees didn't move a whit, a thick blanket of snow covering all in a smooth, motionless wash of white — but oh, how it all shimmered! If he tilted his head just so or moved but an inch, the warm light pouring out from the mansion's windows would dance across the frost, slowly cooling under the pallor of the moon when his gaze wandered toward the horizon.

He was far more accustomed to the rhythm of the ocean, of the pattering rain or murmured conversation to soften the sound of pure isolation. What he wouldn't give for an old-fashioned fireplace, something to crackle cozily while he took in the view!

Instead, he got the jump-out-of-your-skin suddenness of his phone going off. With a sigh, he ran a hand through his hair and answered the damn thing with facile warmth. "Quoi de neuf? It must be important."

The voice on the other end of the phone was equal parts energetic and defeated — an odd mix that was all too fitting for a father who'd just finished melting his credit card for his children's presents. "And I must be lucky, actually being able to catch you right now. We didn't have any real time to talk about the whole Bancroft situation, and —"

"I'm going to stop you right there. This stopped being a company issue well before I got on the plane, and I already know you're committing sin against your wife by thinking about work right now." Astrophel smirked, almost as amused as he was annoyed.

"Look! I know you've decided your own agenda and all, but half the country wants to know what's going on with the world's most exclusive Christmas party. If there's even a sniff of scandal —"

Astrophel filled his mic with a long, breathy sigh that quieted the man once again. "I am aware of the situation's gravity, Marcus. Also, it's Christmas. You shouldn't underestimate the importance of your own festivities."

It was Marcus' turn to wordlessly hiss his exasperation into his phone. "I don't like being in the dark, Astrophel. This shit is bigger than baking sugar cookies with the kids."

"Mn, la famille n'est pas quelque chose d'important. C'est tout ce dont on a besoin. Take it from a man who has none."

Marcus groaned. "You always weaponize sentimentality at the worst times."

"You think so? I believe the timing is absolutely perfect. I will call you if I need anything. À la prochaine." Astrophel wasted no time in hanging up and promptly silencing his phone. It disappeared into his pocket, along with any further thought about the world outside.

Tonight he would dedicate to his yet-unknown friend. Astrophel was certainly dressed for the formal occasion, all done up in a white suit with a black satin waistcoat and matching tie. The immaculately tailored clothing fit his slim frame perfectly, the added accent of dark half-gloves and a midnight-colored bat orchid boutonnière marking him as a gentleman of fashion as much as intrigue. His pale blonde hair was fine as it was messy, framing his elegant face with a roguish air before tucking behind his shoulder in an equally untamed ponytail. The pin he'd been told to wear, a glossy black thing shaped like a treble clef, had cheekily been pinned to the band keeping his ponytail in check.

After gathering up a modest rectangular package that awaited on the bed and slipping on a plain white mask, Astrophel took to the halls at last. He didn't wander long at first, finding a temporary perch by one of the many tall windows where he couldn't help but take in more of the snowy countryside.

@LuckycoolHawk9

Maya Brooke didn't know why she agreed to come to a mansion to do a Secret Santa with a mystery person with an even more mysterious benefactor. Actually, she did know the answer. She was looking for an escape from her life, from the fact that she was going to be unable to feel things until she found some sort of love. It was the blessing or curse, depending on your point of view that she had received from her mother. Of course, she had had boyfriends before, but due to her father not knowing his own father, she had managed to have bad luck in that department. To make a long story short, she had briefly dated her half-uncle. The thought still made her sick when she thought about that. She would tie her brown hair into a bun and slid on her decorated blue mask.

She had slid on an aquamarine dress which held loosely onto her shoulder as well as a bracelet which had the treble clef on it. It was kind of ironic considering that it was her musically gifted friend that had convinced her to do this. She had her watch on as well, as well as her gold earrings for the special occasion. Her green eyes darted around, debating between the heels and the sneakers on her bed and decided to pick the sneakers, they had better traction and it did look like it was snowing. She would leave her room to notice someone sitting on the window. " Well, that's not the first thing I expected to see before I leave."

Astrophel could likely have been mistaken for a statue — the combination of moonlight and the pale light reflected off the snow washed nearly all the color from him, even the warmer tones of his hair turned an ephemeral white. He didn't immediately respond to the sound of a door closing nearby, rather pensive in his posture as he watched the world outside. One leg was half-hitched over the windowsill, folded neatly under his opposite leg that kept him propped up. His back had a lazy straightness to it, framed against the window while he held the gift he'd prepared close.

And then a woman decided to address him rather than simply walk by. Even before looking at her, the woman's aura of malcontent was obvious. Was she trying to mock him? Had he made her uncomfortable, having unintentionally appeared so close to her exit? The latter seemed more likely.

His first instinct was to declare that now was a time for cheer and indulgence (and therefore the perfect opportunity for many unexpected sights), but something stopped him the moment he laid eyes on her. Did he detect a tired sort of resignation from that pretty face? Her dress had a note of brazenness in the cut of the shoulder, the jewel-like aqua of the fabric reminiscent of a slender, fragile icicle washed out by the moonlight. He was careful not to react to the symbol on her bracelet, the curve of his brow only drifting upward in surprise when he caught the tell-tale signs of sneakers on her feet.

He'd met many hot-headed, shameless creatures, but never one with the gall to wear sneakers with a formal dress.

He had to keep his sarcastic smile in check, the glimmer of his green eyes sharp as he lifted the knuckle of his index finger to his lips. When he spoke, he was careful to keep his tone warm and polite with a mild French accent — he had the feeling she wouldn't react well to an overdose of 'charm.'

"Better to be a memorable first than a forgettable last, I suppose. I don't wish to stall your leaving, but perhaps you'll forgive my concern in asking what has caused your abrupt departure?" He canted his head, softening his expression into the very picture of amicability. "Or perhaps I'm misreading the mood entirely, and you're headed off to find your designated partner?"

With his own symbol for partnership hidden behind his head, she wasn't likely to see it, and curiosity — always that sly, unrepentant curiosity — kept him from revealing it.

Maya had learned a long time ago that people tended to mistake what was just small comments as malcontent since they were often spoken without any emotion or inflection in his voice. It also was the fact that unlike most things, sarcasm was easier to deal with then trying to figured things out.

It was surprising when the man didn't react to her with a douse of how Christmas was supposed to be a happy time. But he didn't do that. However, she did take note of something that he did do. He had paid attention to the fact that she was wearing sneakers with a formal dress, and she had a feeling that at some point of the night, he would comment on, but it seemed to not be his priority at the moment. This was going to be interesting.

There was something about his smile that reminded her of herself, but then she heard him speak. Well, that was something to say the least.

"Well, that depends on your definition of first and last, but that's beside the point. Oh no, you would be correct to say that my departure was quick and abrupt. I want to be able to enjoy some winter time snow before everyone decides to have fun by going outside and making it so that I can have some time to myself. If I find my partner, I find them. I'm sure eventually, they will find me."

Maya would adjust herself. "Hence why I'm not wearing heels, those don't get very good traction in the snow," she added, watching how he reacted closely. She had a hunch, but decided to wait and not say it, in case she was wrong.