Tips for an advanced writer new to group roleplaying?

I

ironspine

Original poster
Hello! My name is Aeon and I have been roleplaying off and on for nearly 9 years. However, almost all of my roleplays have been one x one private roleplays. I have only participated in a few group roleplays a very long time ago, and from what I remember they were pretty poorly executed (can anyone say 'neopets roleplaying board'?).

That being said, my comfort zone is definitely with one x one. However, after joining this forum and seeing some of the incredibly creative and fascinating group roleplays that are going on, I am inspired to join in! I consider my writing skills pretty advanced, however I'm not even sure where to begin with getting into a group roleplay. Anyone have any tips?

I would start first by looking for plots that interest you! But that is prolly obvious. O__O

If you are super concerned about finding a roleplay that also has advanced writing, you check to see if the RP already has an In character thread up and give a quick look at the posts. You'll get to see how the GM sets the standard and who follows through.

If it DOESN'T, a good thing to do is browse the the GMs recent posts to see where they have roleplayed before to get an idea of how they roleplay or have done previous plots. You can do the same thing for any players that posted applications. :)

A lot of people also have their roleplay resume on their profile too and give writing samples. So that's always convenient!

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
I would start first by looking for plots that interest you! But that is prolly obvious. O__O

If you are super concerned about finding a roleplay that also has advanced writing, you check to see if the RP already has an In character thread up and give a quick look at the posts. You'll get to see how the GM sets the standard and who follows through.

If it DOESN'T, a good thing to do is browse the the GMs recent posts to see where they have roleplayed before to get an idea of how they roleplay or have done previous plots. You can do the same thing for any players that posted applications. :)

A lot of people also have their roleplay resume on their profile too and give writing samples. So that's always convenient!
Thank you so much! I hadn't even thought of going through older posts and roleplays!
Any tips on character interaction or posting pace? I am used to an environment where characters are directly interacting with each other, so I'm unsure of how that works with a group of people as opposed to two. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, haha. I'm just unsure of how to phrase exactly what I'm questioning.

It's going to work pretty much exactly the same, but a bit slower! Because you have to give other players a chance to post too. If you do too much back and forth, it'll progress the scene too fast and leave other characters behind. Some GMs have stuff like posting orders or instructions about when and how to post. So it's always good to ask them how they like it done in their roleplay. :D

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
It's going to work pretty much exactly the same, but a bit slower! Because you have to give other players a chance to post too. If you do too much back and forth, it'll progress the scene too fast and leave other characters behind. Some GMs have stuff like posting orders or instructions about when and how to post. So it's always good to ask them how they like it done in their roleplay. :D
Great! Thank you so much for your help, it's really appreciated!