4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
High fantasy, modern fantasy, gaslamp fantasy, Anything Fantasy, dark comedy, supernatural, paranormal, psychological, essentially everything except slice-of-life and historical.
My google-fu is failing me so I'm hoping y'all might be able to help me with my horrible word finding difficulties, because really I'm not good at English

ALL RIGHT so you know when you're trying to calm someone down, and while you're speaking to them you try to soothe them with words that might not really be true... uhh... like 'sweet nothings' except definitely not that, because that's for romantic things. Like white lies. I'm stuck on 'placidities' ("he had no [placidities] to offer") but that's not it

does anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I remembering a word that doesn't actually exist :'(

Last edited:
Er... Soothing words? x.x that's the best I can do, but I suspect it's something like that anyways.

Oh I know the feeling, quite frustrating.

Hm, consolation perhaps?

My google-fu is failing me so I'm hoping y'all might be able to help me with my horrible word finding difficulties, because really I'm not good at English

ALL RIGHT so you know when you're trying to calm someone down, and while you're speaking to them you try to soothe them with words that might not really be true... uhh... like 'sweet nothings' except definitely not that, because that's for romantic things. Like white lies. I'm stuck on 'placidities' ("he had no [placidities] to offer") but that's not it

does anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I remembering a word that doesn't actually exist :'(
Thinking... Closest word "placidities" with definition match is platitudes.

Platitudes: "a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful."
Related: banality, triteness, truisms.

Ex: "It's okay, bad things happen to everyone!" Stated Sally, who offered naught but platitudes to George in an effort to calm him down.

That's as close as I can think to what you're looking for.

Reactions: Indabayou
Is placate the word you're looking for?

There's also this word I found:
Palliate: to make (a disease or its symptoms) less severe or unpleasant without removing the cause.

Thinking... Closest word "placidities" with definition match is platitudes.

Platitudes: "a remark or statement, especially one with a moral content, that has been used too often to be interesting or thoughtful."
Related: banality, triteness, truisms.

Ex: "It's okay, bad things happen to everyone!" Stated Sally, who offered naught but platitudes to George in an effort to calm him down.

That's as close as I can think to what you're looking for.
!! PLATITUDES THIS IS IT

thank you so much!

!! PLATITUDES THIS IS IT

thank you so much!
1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.