Times of War: Chapter One- The Night Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Times Of War

Maker's breath, she is much faster than the rest of us. The forest is most definitely her home.

Having ignored the dwarf's wise crack, he kept up the steady pace. Ox watched as Anne just took off like a cannon. She even managed to give the dwarf a decent lecture. By the time he got there, the idea of waiting until nightfall was presented. Not a bad idea, but there would need to be some perimeters met first. Panting slightly, he managed his spoken words carefully.

"Ok, I have a plan of action. Anne, you know the forest best, scout the area. Come back, either before nightfall or if you find something good. We need to know the land, if we are going to travel by moonlight. Scathach, if you are able to sneak, scouting will go faster with two. Separate and more ground will be covered. If EITHER of you run into trouble, don't rush in. We need you alive. Be careful. I will stay here and begin to make a suitable camp here. Sound good?"

Ox gave them a nod, hoping they wouldn't mind that he took initiative.

Re: Times Of War

Scathach turned his eye towards Ox, who had managed to approach from behind him, despite the warrior overlooming the elf by a noticeable amount. Ox seemed a respectable man enough, and so Scathach hadn't really minded Ox taking a hold of the reigns for their group. Scath didn't really think anyone would be capable for the job of the boss besides the human, the thought only fortifying his confidence in Ox.

Scath glanced at the forest area that surrounded the clearing they stood in. Scouting huh? Well, it wasn't the hardest thing to do, and he did have nimble toes, at least Scath thought so.

"I'll do my best commander." Scathach responded with a turn towards Ox's direction briefly He then nodded at his other members of the group and mouthed good luck as he turned into the forest behind him quickly yet silently as best he could possibly manage.

Scathach sprinted through the forest silently, taking mental notes of different landmarks and interesting points as a scout ought too and he started to see odd signs in his path. Broken branches, flattened grass, all of them pointed at inhabitants nearby. Scathach kept silent and wondered if he had approached a camp. Or at least a path that would lead to one. It was a dangerous thing to be near and his hand tightened on the handle of the Sol Katti.

"..From our camp..about sixty five to seventy three degrees west..Darkspawns?" Scathach thought, trying to memorize it so that he could report when he got back, but his mental note ended in a self-asked question. Was it Darkspawns?

It was when he heard rustling farther down the path did he conceal himself within the confines of thick bushes that lined the pathway he was examining. His eyes focused intensely, trying to see through the cracks the leaves created.

Anthea was a bit relieved by Scathach’s interruption. She didn’t want to deal with the dwarf and his poor excuses for not doing the mission properly. Also, she liked the idea that Scathach proposed. The darkness of the night would benefit her much more. When she had lived in the forest alone she actually had lived nearly nocturnal much of the time. However, she didn’t think that the dwarf would be any quieter during the night. However, Ox soon took the initiative and brought forth a plan she liked even more.

“That sounds like a fine plan to me,” she said, the sternness gone from her voice. She liked the idea of traveling alone, for this way she wouldn’t have to worry about the dwarf making noise and giving away her position. “We will return later then,” she said with a smile and a nod, then silently vanished into the woods.

Now that Anthea was out of the others’ sight she wondered if she should use her magic. It would be best though if she transformed in a hidden area, for there was always the chance that somebody would see her, Scathach could even be in the same area and happen to see her. For now, she decided to remain in her natural form and examine what she could until she found a suitable place to transform. There wasn’t much evidence of human activity in the area she examined. There were broken branches and tracks in some of the areas, but they were definitely done by animals and not humans.

As Anthea explored she came across a cave. This seemed like a very likely place for someone to hide. She approached the area cautiously. If someone was using the cave as a hiding place they could still be in the area. Slowly she peeked into the entrance. She didn’t see anything, though it was rather dark. However, there was a strong smell of rotting meat. She held her spear in front in a defensive position and carefully walked into the cave.

It appeared she had been right about the rotting meat. There was the dead body of a humanoid in the cave; she couldn’t tell whether they had been an elf or a human, for the body was quite destroyed. The corpse appeared to be fairly fresh as well for it hadn’t decayed much. She covered her nose with her free hand to keep out the horrible smell it emanated, but still remained in the cave to search for any clues for who they were or how they were killed. Many people might have reacted worse to such a thing, but she was fairly used to such sights so it bothered her less.

Anthea exited the cave after finding nothing of use. The corpse was stripped of all belongings and had been partially eaten so she couldn’t determine the cause of death. If it was the deserter then they must have either hid the supplies and documents somewhere else or they were taken from them when they were killed. Since she found nothing in the cave she decided it was time to search elsewhere. If she could get up high then she could get a better look at the area, but since she was so large it would probably be too dangerous for her to go tree climbing, unless she changed her form of course. She walked back into the cave.

Anthea came out of the cave in the form of a great horned owl. She propelled herself into the air with her large powerful wings and flew up above the trees. As she flew she noticed a bunch of birds fly up from an area north-east of the camp, or at least somewhere in that general direction. She decided to investigate. She flew till she was just a little ways from the area and landed in a tree, not wanting to land too close just in case there were hunters or darkspawn with bows. Once in the tree, she migrated to an area where the leaves were clustered more thickly and turned into a striped brown wildcat and climbed onto one of the tree's limbs. A little ways down the path she thought she heard something hide in the bushes.

He listened to Oxes plan and noticed right away that he wasn't mentioned at all in that who plot. He watched as the other two walked off and he walked up to Ox in anger. He most likely thought that because he was short he wouldn't be able to do anything. That was an insult to all dwarfs everywhere. He was going to pumble the man before he got a grip on his dwarven anger. Ox was too valuable to kill, he would take his anger on something else. Hibce poked a finger at Ox "What about me? You didn't mention me at all!" He voice boomed before he took his ax off his back, grabbing it from mid handle, and looking at him sternly "I will go raid some camps." He turned to go, a dwarf couldn't just let go of anger, they needed to get rid of it in some way. He always just swung his ax around for a while.

He couldn't even enjoy their positive exits. The dwarf decided to get short with him, and already had Ox looking down on it all. Ever since they met, Hibce was nothing but an over-zealous nuisance with terrible excuses to back up the behavior. Trying his best to contain emotion, the warrior tried to speak firmly, but not angrily. Things had to get straightened out and quick.

"I will tell you this, once. If you leave, don't come back. Because, I refuse to put others at risk so you can play war. This isn't a game. You weren't suppose to be on this mission? Boo sodding who. Me? I am not even suppose to be here in Ostagar at ALL. I am not even a damn mercenary Yet, here I am trying to make sure this task is done right and you don't even want to make an effort. It's only about killing darkspawn. Be mad, I don't give a sodding damn. You are acting like a reckless, selfish child and I won't have it."

Ox stuck the bottom of the warhammer 's handle into the ground. He hoped that Hibce would see to reason, but with the recent track record a fight more likely to happen than civility. Either way, he was ready. The angry powder keg would not get the drop on him.

"You have a choice. Pick carefully, Hibce. You can chase your dream of blood lust ..and never return. If you do, I will be the first to put your selfish, beaten body down. Or...you can take that ax...angrily cut down a tree or two...and make a good shelter for OUR team. Rest assured....you blood lust will be sated...we just need to find this deserter first."

'You weren't suppose to be on this mission? Boo sodding who. Me? I am not even suppose to be here in Ostagar at ALL. I am not even a damn mercenary Yet, here I am trying to make sure this task is done right and you don't even want to make an effort.' Did he ever say he wasn't supposed to be on this mission? No... this giant was just trying to have a pity party. He said dwarfs weren't fit for this mission, not the way this giant wanted to go at it any way.

Humans were despicable... Dwarfs may not be great with strategy they were smart enough to give up mission plans to the entire army! And they were loyal enough to each other where no one would turn like this deserter. These humans even had a word for such an action. Dwarfs were strong enough to charge into battle and kill whatever was needed to be killed for their people and yet humans had to slowly and stealthily move to catch a single man.

'You are acting like a reckless, selfish child and I won't have it.'
A sobbing selfish child! Another short joke, this man was trying to get on his last nerve and judging by the way that he moved his war hammer he was ready for a fight. Hibce would gladly show this over grown wimp what's what. No one insults a dwarf in such a manner... he would still not kill the man but he would learn his lesson.

'Or...you can take that ax...angrily cut down a tree or two...and make a good shelter for OUR team.' That was it, this man was trying to call them a team now? He was trying to say he had a blood lust? No dwarf had a blood lust, they loved fighting, whether blood be involved or not! "Aye, a team. After you constantly insult me and my people with your little short jokes and referencing our warrior spirit as a blood lust!" He spun and let his ax go through a sapling and listened as it slammed and stuck into a tree. "Theres your tree for your 'team'." He continued to rage "Now bring up your fist and fight like a man." He was expecting another short joke, this giant clearly thought his height was a rite of passage, that reasoning would not last long.

Scathach shifted uncomfortably within the thorny bush. As much as he hated to admit, he never really liked staying still for too long and the rustling continued even more but nothing passed nor approached the bush. Scathach twisted around as he decided that it would just be better to hide in the trees then this. He twisted a little bit too quickly though and a longer thorn managed to scratch his cheek.

"Sheesh. First one to get hurt in the group probably. Unless Hibce and Ox are having problems back at the campsite..." Scath muttered under his breath, the last sentence, being a thought that lingered as he crawled out of the small opening he had in the first place. A sturdy oak tree with a low branch was just a few paces to his left and so he proceeded to climb it quickly.

Much to his surprise, a strong yet slender wild cat walked below him in a calm, controlled pace. It was brown and had many stripes which varied in different palettes. Scath never really thought that he would encounter one in this forest. Scath climbed a little higher just in case this cat could climb and held his blade, and breath, tightly.

This damn dwarf act as if he wants to be offended.

Somehow...everything was taken as an insult. As much as Ox would love to spar, now isn't the time. If Hibce forces the issue, he wouldn't hesitate to the fight, but it's isn't smart to pommel when darkspawn could just be waiting. He wishes that the situation could be diffused, but there was uncertainty in would should be said. Why force this issue of pride and fighting? Why get mad when you are effectively called an ally?

"Why are you trying so hard to make a case that you are a great warrior? Being a warrior, doesn't mean you go looking for unnecessary trouble. My grandfather taught me that the strength of a warrior is in his heart and not the weapon. A mind and spirit can be more dangerous than the axe you wield, Hibce. If you weren't a real warrior, you would not have been picked. We need you to be the dwarf that you strive to be. But this may surprize you...Hibce of the Dwarven People...is a warrior. You need not to try it prove it. Good things come to those who wait. Don't worry, the darkspawn will come. You will have your fight, but wouldn't be more glorious to be fighting with allies at your side? All I am asking is for you to wait...until the time is right."

If that didn't get through...then nothing will.

Anthea was surprised to discover that the thing she had actually heard had been Scathach. She looked up to see him climbing in the treetop above her. He looked wary of her and she watched as he held his blade up in front of himself defensively. She reacted in a similar manner. She hissed as she looked up at him with wide yellow eyes, her ears turned back, and the hairs on her back arching upwards, acting as any normal wildcat would react to a sudden threat. However, she kept her tail fairly low and did not approach him as to make it appear that she had simply been startled and that this was simply a warning for him to stay away, which it was in a sense. She then slunk away into the bushes across the path. She wondered what he would say to the others when they returned to camp. Wildcats weren't normally in this area, though some did show up occasionally.

Anthea decided to search further into the forest. After all, she still had a few hours of daylight left. It was much easier to maneuver in the forest as a cat then it was as a human, not that she had that much trouble moving in her human form, but it was still easier, and her senses were also much sharper this way. There were a lot more broken branches in this area and she thought it smelt like and looked quite like it was caused by humans. Whoever had been this way had been in quite a rush.

As she explored she thought about what she would say when she returned to camp. It would actually probably be best that she turned around soon, or at least went somewhere else, for if she had seen Scathach then he most likely would have seen some of the evidence here already, or at least some that looked similar. Also, when they had initially split up, Anthea and Scathach had both gone in very different directions. There would be no way to explain how she got to that area in such a short amount of time and saw the evidence. It would be best that she didn't mention that she had been in the same area at all.

Having decided that she no longer needed to search in this area it was time for her to move back once again. She began looking for a place to hide and transform, she didn't want to chance someone seeing her, especially if she had already seen Scathach in the area. She ended up finding a small hollow under some roots and crawled down into it. When she came out again she came out as the horned owl that she had been before and flew up over the treetops and headed back towards the other end of the forest where she had been initially exploring. Flight made traveling much faster, and soon enough she was already halfway towards her destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Why are you trying so hard to make a case that you are a great warrior?' Hibce was ready to knock this man out, he clearly was setting up to throw out another short joke and his fist tightened. The giant must have thought he wasn't strong enough to even hurt him. The giant was sadly mistaken.

'Being a warrior, doesn't mean you go looking for unnecessary trouble. My grandfather taught me that the strength of a warrior is in his heart and not the weapon. A mind and spirit can be more dangerous than the axe you wield, Hibce. If you weren't a real warrior, you would not have been picked. We need you to be the dwarf that you strive to be. But this may surprize you...Hibce of the Dwarven People...is a warrior.' Hibce slowly started to lower his fist... this giant wasn't make any short joke? No he was being a forked tongue snake. He was going to throw in a short joke and lash out right when his guard was down... but he seemed so censer? This was confusing him so much, why would the man that continually insulted him be saying such thing? Was he not meaning it... no everything he said was a short joke. He just wasn't seeing it yet...

'Good things come to those who wait. Don't worry, the darkspawn will come. You will have your fight, but wouldn't be more glorious to be fighting with allies at your side? All I am asking is for you to wait...until the time is right.' ... Hibce's fists were now at his side and he looked at the man with no reaction, his head was almost hurting now. Quickly realizing the long pause and knowing Ox was waiting for a response he crossed his arms "Well I knew that. Of coarse dwarfs were the original ones to find that bronze and spirit were the deadliest combination." He had left out mind... he never used mind, he just swung at the closest opponent and yelled as he did it. Naturally he would forget to mention mind. "But fine, you tell me when I can swing my ax then." He turned away and grabbed his ax out of the tree then turned with it in his hands.

"Finish up that tree, you and I are going to build a fire and possibly a small, tent-like structure." He told him.

Finally, that was over. Surely one of them would have been needlessly injure in the ensuing battle. It felt good to win with words as opposed to force behind a fist. Neatly, Ox placed his weapons and shield down. They were all sat very particularly. It was intended to make them easily accessible, if needed. Taking his knife, he started cutting a bit of a hole in the grass. This was where the kindling would be put. This way, the bears won't blame us for forest fires.

He wondered how the scouts made out on the search. At best, he excepted a trail to be found. Not that they didn't have skill but the deserter certainly had enough to time to put distance between him and the camp. Still, he hoped for better. Ox just wished he had more people to at least have them a suitable partner.

Doesn't matter much now. Better get this fire going and wait.

Scathach's body tensed as the wild cat hissed at him from below his perch. He knew these kind of animals were very capable of scaling up trees very much like the one that he had chosen to evade on fro the time being. He continued to stare down the clearly dangerous animal until it decided to leave, why hadn't they been briefed on that animal.

You could easily escape a bear by climbing this tree but it was clearly evident that this situation was pivoted by luck, and Scat was very lucky. After making sure that the cat had left the premises Scathach hopped down onto the ground and decided it was best that he get more scouting done before daylight was completely gone.

Anthea probably was doing a way better job as a scout then him considering how she was so comfortable in the forest and Scath didn't want to be shown up or anything. Scath sprinted off silently the opposite direction of the cat, but for extra measures, and for scouting purposes Scathach took to the trees during the rest of his scouting.

Nothing of interest really shouted out to the elven scout. And when he glanced back at the setting sun he decided to set off towards home, hoping Anthea was getting better luck then he had, he made his way back concealing himself within the trees.

Hibce nodded and walked over to the tree his ax was wedged into. He looked between the sapling and the large tree... the sapling would be enough wood but the large tree would be more fun to cut down... stupid tall tree... After a few seconds of debate he pulled his ax out and started to chop the sapling with powerful, muscle backed, swings that ended with his ax in the dirt. He continued this, clearly not in any control of the power he used when he swung, but still getting even cut pieces... well fairly even anyways. The way wood chops can be strange at times and tree knots like to pop up and mess everything up. When he was finished he returned his ax to his back and stacked the small logs in a neat, triangle styled stack before grabbing some rocks dried leafs and sticks.

When he returned with enough of everything he made a fire ring where the grass was cut before dumping the tinder into the dirt area. "You get the fire." He said as he walked over to another tree and got out a large thing cloth which he used to set up a make shift shelter. Really he just laid it over a branch and weighed the sides down with a rock. Though, this wasn't good and he frowned. Their was no use for a tent anyways, they would rough it like a dwarven army. Everyone slept under the stars, or rain, with just a blanket. These men... and crazy woman, couldn't be so much of a woos where they couldn't even do that.

Anthea landed in some thick brush not far from the cave she had transformed in before. When she exited she was once again in her natural human form. She pulled out a few leaves and twigs that were stuck in her hair and headed back towards the camp. The sun was getting quite low now and she wanted to get back before it was dark. She ran swiftly through the woods till finally she reached the camp.

It had taken her no time at all to reach the camp. She emerged from some bushes at the far side of the camp. There were a few more leaves and twigs caught in her hair again from running in the thick brush. However, she didn’t bother to pull them out. They were too tangled into her hair at the moment. She would pull them out later when it was time to rest.

“I’ve returned,” she announced as she strode into the camp.

This is what I was doing, dwarf.

Ox just shook his head, and continued working. Good thing that the shelter wasn't elaborate, they would be moving tonight. In fact, the shelter might even be a bit too far. Doesn't matter now, it will be here if the deserter isn't found. He planned on staying out here until the problem was solved. Grabbing some flint, the warrior began to scratching them together. Slight sparks and cracking sounded. He smiled, as smoke began to fester, and bent over to blow on the flame. Of course, it might have been easier to do without the helmet. Sod it.

As sound as Anne arrived, the first was self-sustaining. Ox stood, at attention, to her presence. His gaze was light and the stomach was heavy.

"Greeting, Anne. What did you find?" He asked, finally seeing there was some shit in her hair. It happens.

The commute back to the chosen campsite wasn't particularly eventful except for one event, about halfway from the designated distance, while atop the branches he came upon a rather plump wild hog that caught his eye. Scath hadn't had a warm meal since he first made his way here on that caravan and he was sure no one else had either, after all they had departed the moment they met up.

Scathach drew his blade quietly as he watched the animal snort below. It would be best he killed it on the first blow, but he had to make sure to not damage the edible meat.

The branch he sat on swayed alerting the attention of the hog but before it could react to the new presence Scath was already on the ground agilely meeting the animals meaty throat with his sharp metal blade. A small amount of blood splattered across the grass but Scath didn't really care. He got on one knee and began the process of skinning its rough furry hide.

By the time it was fully skinned, sliced up, and packed into his bag he knew he was probably the last to arrive at the camp, but hey he had meat and the only thing they needed was fire, which if Ox and Hibce did their job, they would already have.

The new weight of the rather meaty parts of Wild Hog slowed down him a bit but his natural quick pace counteracted that factor and it wasn't too long before he finally arrived, with his assumptions of him being the latest arrival correct.

"I'm back. And I have meat." Scathach spoke his hand raising the bag, before tossing it to Hibce who happened to be nearby.

The dwarf had made quick work of the tree, stacking it in the burning pile to last them through the night. The final, thudding chops of Hibce's axe echoed through the forest, scaring a group of opalescent white birds from their nesting places in the treetops. They swirled around one another, turning around the camp as if watching, taking in the group before heading back into the thick of the forest.

The silence of the depths was broken by a slow eerie grind, like branches snapping or flexing with the breeze.

By the time the moon was full in the sky, the group had settled in with the meal that the rogue had returned with, sitting around the fire and doing what they could to to pass the time. Since earlier in the day, their surroundings were quiet, as if the fallen tree had set fear into the veins of the forest.

The time to find the dererter was running out, and the simple fact was straining on everyone.

Soon enough, all but Ox had taken to sleep, curled up around the fire as the large warrior poked at the remaining embers of the dying flame. He had promised to keep the first watch, though his eyelids drooped from the day of travel. He had dozed, once or twice, before suddenly being awoken by a tremor; ground shaking under him and causing his armor plates to clank against one another.

"What..." He spoke under his breath, pulling himself to a standing position as fast as was possible with his heavy armor.

The opalescent birds had returned, but with them was a protector of the forest; a Treant.

The guardian moved stangely graceful, as if the trees themselves parted to let it pass. It's long root-like fingers wrapped around the thick trunks, pulling it's body though and turning its goliath face towards the parties camp.

Without warning, the guardian spoke, wise and with meaning.

"To me the words of pain were brought, you see this forest, my home; my plot..." The massive being took another, quaking step towards the group, reaching down it's lengthy fingers to slowly trace along the ground.

"Guided I am to your sleeping place, this wood is mine, grown in good taste..." It's blackened eyes fell on Ox, finally lifting it's barked brow to ask a question.

"Hrrrrm... what manner of beast be thee, that comes before this elder tree? Be you like the others, dead yet alive? My forest, I wish, now to revive..."

ancient_treant_final_1x.jpg

Marker's breath! This might be an issue.

Ox was not ready to have a large tree to come into camp. Lack of energy has overtaken him. His weapons were just far enough away to screw him in this situation. Not that he planned to attack but instead be ready to defend. The creature spoke of being lead and how his wood is being mishandled. When the lumbering tree asked a question, he relaxed and chose to have civil conversation.

"None of us here are dead or have ever been dead. We are as alive as you walk. In fact, we search for a deserter from Ostagar. If their is anyway you could help us find this person, or know of any info on these dead things, I personally will return to help revive your forest."

Anthea's eyes shot open when she felt the earth shake beneath her. She was used to waking suddenly from her sleep. Life in the forest had made her a very light sleeper and very reactive to loud noises as danger could appear at any moment when living alone in the woods. In just seconds she was wide awake. She quickly reached for her spear that lay by her side and carefully stepped out from her shelter to see what had caused the noise, ready to fight if necessary.

Anthea's eyes widened with surprise after she had exited the shelter. Only a few metres away she saw a giant tree-like guardian. What was it doing here, she wondered. She eased her stance a little as to not appear aggressive and walked carefully towards Ox while listening to the guardian as it spoke.

The guardian spoke of strange creatures that were dead, yet not dead that threatened their forest. It sounded like it might be darkspawn, Anthea thought to herself. They were very much similar to the undead. She then turned towards Ox, who she now stood beside, and listened as he spoke. She nodded in agreement when he said they were not enemies, or undead really. However, she was not sure if he should promise to revive the guardian's forest. It is best not to make promises one can not keep, or that was at least how she felt, for she was not sure if it was something that he could guarantee. Although, perhaps it was fine to say such as thing, for the guardian would be more likely to regard them as friends then. Still though, such beings usually expected such promises to be kept.

Anthea's brow furrowed slightly as she thought about what they should do. Did this guardian perhaps know where the deserter was? Ox had asked them for information and she wondered if they did indeed know anything about their whereabouts. It would certainly make their mission much easier, or at least she hoped it would.

"The one you seek, with sweat and greif, is dead- pulled and singed by the greedy hands of the walking ones." The Treant took one quaking step closer to the two adventurers, leaning it's heavy body down with a loud creak. "They took his corpse, hidden in a cave off towards the north" His long tangled fingers pointed out at Anthea. "This one has seen it, smells of ash and regret, this one..."

With that the tree stood tall again, twisting with a regal stance to point deeper into the forest. "belongings though, were taken back to the burrow..."

"Inside my wood, they broke the ground and came forth. Find their nest and rid my brush of their poison. For this I will reward you..."

Status
Not open for further replies.