Tiberian Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never done a military science fiction roleplay before so I'm afraid I won't be having another character sheet come in unless otherwise stated.

That's fine. :3

I actually am trying to avoid the military aspect of this, though that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be combat. On the contrary, I'd expect it to be a significant portion of the roleplay, depending on how the characters fit into things. :o

Might be interested! Just wanted to ask a couple questions if you don't mind.

What's the posting expectations for this game? I would like a general idea for post length and posting frequency. I tend to write a few paragraphs, and I don't want to be the odd man out if I'm posting 3 paragraph posts twice a week and then find out it's one liner speed posting, for instance.

Is the setting following Tiberian Sun technology and setting wise? I think having information and links to stuff from the source materials for people who may not be familiar with the series or are a bit rusty. It would be a bot jarring if say I mentioned that there was a Mammoth Mk. II in the area, and some of the players have no idea what the hell that is, let alone its pants filling destructive potential, or if players don't know what Tiberium exposure can do, or anything like that.

Is it alright if I make reference or use upgraded weapons like some of the ones found in Renegade like the laser chain gun or Tiberium flechette rifle? Maybe if there was a section writen up describing some of the tech would be beneficial.

Is there a character sheet? What's expected in it?

You mentioned this is after the events of Firestorm. What effects will CABAL have had on Nod and civilians in the yellow and red zones?

@Dervish To answer your last question, as @Sammy Khoa stated,
Character creation will be simple, because I prefer to allow people to flesh out their profiles throughout the roleplay as it suits them than to force the regurgitation of various psychological traits for the purpose of quality auditing. Nothing more than a name and an archetype are absolutely required, though any additional sections you'd like to add will be met with gratitude and favor as we start to integrate your character into the plot. Verbose applications are perfectly acceptable if you wish to write them.
That is all that is required, but you are free to do more. (:

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO
I'm happy to answer! :3

I'm usually very relaxed with posting expectations, but it is generally my habit to write a few paragraphs each post and to do so on a roughly weekly basis, depending on how frequent replies are. I might do some storyteller moderating to bring the extremes closer to the party's collective preference, so hopefully we don't have one-liners and novellas next to each other too often. ^.^

A lot of the details of the canon are likely going to be revised, since this is an AU roleplay — mostly to get rid of the bits I reckon to be too over-the-top or outright stereotypical — so you may find yourself somewhat out of your comfort zone if you were expecting a roleplay full of iconic canonical elements (though that is not to say I won't be including such elements on a regular basis). Incidentally, there was a link in the interest check (now roleplay advertisement) that referred unfamiliar writers to the CnC Wiki, but I think you're right; it'd be a good idea to include that here. c:

If I'm honest, Renegade is responsible for a lot of the cliché canonical material that I intend to avoid, so if you'd like to refer to that content, you might on occasion notice me trying to guide you toward a different flavor text. I typically avoid outright GMing in favor of storytelling unless things are getting disruptive to the roleplay at large, though, so have at it! :D

The character sheet, as @Unsun has kindly referred to, isn't expected to be anything in particular with the exception of a name and archetype. While I enjoy reading and writing thorough character sheets, I'm also aware a lot of players prefer to describe characters through their actions. With the name and archetype, though, I can at least plan the story according to the characters' general flavor (action, political thriller, scifi adventure, et cetera). :o

Good question! I hadn't thought of that.
Winging my explanation, here, I reckon CABAL's influence was very destructive to the Brotherhood's public image, especially in the eyes of those who may be looking to it for safety. Despite there being a different mind behind their actions, those acting on CABAL's behalf flew the Nod flag and shared many of its beliefs. It might be intimidating to civilians if the Brotherhood were fielding nearby their homes given the atrocities their affiliate committed. o.o
I'll have to think more on that. ^.^;

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys! I think I'll draft up a sheet, this sounds exactly in my comfort level.

And don't worry! I do understand this is it's own story that doesn't relate to the events of the games, I do similar things in my own fandom games. :D As for the hokey Renegade things, need not worry! I was just thinking that it's the only time in the series you see what kinds of weapons exist in this universe, since it's usually an RTS series. It helps establish what infantry technology may exist past typical rifles.

I think infantry weaponry is going to be pretty standard late modern stuff. Maybe personnel railguns or particle beams lategame, but none of these lightning rays or handheld miniguns things that for some reason made sense in Renegade.

Sorry about the wait, guys! I barely got on the computer today. D: I am aiming for tomorrow.

If not, you can steal my lunch money.

It's all good! :3

Name: Janek Voijtek

Archetype: Demolitions

Appearance:
Janek stands at 6'03" and weighs 195 lbs with a surprisingly muscular frame, given his occasionally poor diet on account of living in the Yellow Zone, where the primary benefactor for the populace is Nod forces. His dark brown hair is slicked back to keep it off of his face, and because he shaves infrequently, he often has several day's worth of stubble on his face. His brown eyes have crows feet under them, a testament to his approaching age. His jawline is pronounced, and his facial features are otherwise unremarkable from an average Eastern European.
post-1-0-19491200-1367331506.jpg
[/IMG]

Other: Carries a small photo album on his person, reminding him of happier times in life. He carries a non-military folding knife he was given by his father on his 16th birthday that remains a connection to his past. He carries a muffled pouch of dog tags of the GDI soldiers he has killed.

Brief History: Life for Janek has always been one of constant movement and the pursuit of what little steady work in the Tiberium-ravaged Yellow Zone could afford. Like many other able-bodied men, he often found himself working in construction and labour projects to ensure a steady, if meager, supply of rations and currency to spend at the inevitable marketplace that even the apocalypse couldn't suppress. He would end up meeting his wife Denisa in Prague and have two daughters, Anna and Johana. Life carried on for the next several years, and with a family to look after, Janek did his best to ignore the overtures of Nod, whose religious fanaticism seemed dangerous to him and the legions of fighters they recruited were never seen again, likely to be used as cannon fodder so the elite units could carry out their clandestine missions Nod seemed so fond of.

Things changed rapidly for the Voijtek family when a fierce battle broke out between the Nod forces in Prague and a GDI assault, forcing the family to relocate out of necessity. Anna, the youngest, fell sick to Tiberium radiation exposure when she was separated in the chaos and forced to traverse a Tiberium field. When the family reunited, the damage to Anna was done; Tiberium assimilation had begun and Anna's condition was getting worse by the day. Janek had no choice but to euthanize his daughter to save her from suffering a prolonged, excruciating death as new crystals sprouted from her body, and the ultimate fear she would mutate into a Visceroid, a mindless blob-like creature of fluid and flesh that would consume anything organic it came across. It soon became apparent that Janek could not ignore the GDI any longer. So began a grieving father's crusade against the callous rich nations that had had torn his and countless other families apart.

Being close to the Blue Zone, GDI territory, in Europe, Janek joined a regional militia that received arms and supplies from the Brotherhood of Nod to act as insurgents. With a strong group and more rations and medicine than they'd ever seen before, Janek would spend the next several years as a member of unit called Gunther's Wolves that specialized in sabotaging GDI interests and planting explosives in areas thought to be secured. While only loosely affiliated with Nod, the Wolves and its members none-the-less share a mutually beneficial relationship with the Brotherhood.

Little did Janek know, eyes had been on him for some time, and the opportunity to become a valued member of the Brotherhood and the protection it promised loomed ever closer.

Last edited:
Looks great! I'm loving your rendition of the atmosphere. :3

It sounds like everybody so far is favoring the elite combat unit sort of tone for this roleplay's pogression; that sound about right to you guys?

Sounds good to me! I set my character up to be flexible about the plot.

Don't let the "Demo" in "Demo Guy" define the guy, and all that stuff, yeah, Sam? ;3

But so far I only see one character (not yet posted in the thread, *wink* *wink*) that really fits into the non-combatant category, and even then they seem to be fairly suited to the elite combat unit theme. Is this by design or have I read into something that isn't there? :o

I didn't quite know how else to really define him other than Demolitions, because he kind of does everything an insurgent working behind enemy lines would be expected to do; bombing stuff and leaving dirty Tiberium gas bombs around like lethal Skittles is just a part of it. XD

As for character archtypes, I think it's because C&C by nature is a military series, so anyone who's a fan of it probably is going to follow that mold to a degree. I mean, occasionally people do explore the non-violent story lines, like when I made what was basically a mad scientist Jedi in one game, and a Deku scrub merchant in another, but squad-based RPs have a pretty straight forward and low bar of entry.

It's all fine; I'm just making sure I'm not accidentally pushing you guys into something you weren't looking to get in on. :3

Elite combat... Well, I'm a noob. I really just put down the only character archetype I could think of... I honestly had no idea what I was doing so just went with fighter because I felt it was a convenience considering my weak point is action scenes. I thought it might help me out a little but that's just me. :P

It's all fine by me. :D

So, where are we at?

Hoping for @Fendisteel's character before going ahead full into an IC thread; a party of three seems reasonable considering that late-entry characters won't be too problematic. :3

• Thank You
Reactions: Dervish
Status
Not open for further replies.