Through Beakers and Test Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saki smiled, it hidden by the helmet, he was so much better than they had lead him to believe; she was sure he could have done these things before the enhancement if he'd simply had instruction. She kicked the pedestal stand up and shifted to first gear and took off out of the parking lot and to the highway; the safe house was a half a days drive away, they must have been keeping tabs on the lad she'd been working in for a while. She hoped that when they got there they wouldn't turn her away.

Nilo nervously clutched Saki tighter as the bike began to move. The noise of it hurt his ears. More than once he thought for sure that they were going to fall off, but they never did. Once he got used to the bike, he felt like he was flying. It was marvelous. At first, Nilo had thought that riding a motorcycle would affect him the same as riding in the truck, but after a couple hours on the bike, he was still migrane free. He didnt understand it, but he wasnt about to complain.

Saki after the second hour of no taps she felt a small relief fall off her shoulders, she'd guess right, the new motion of the speed of the truck mixed with the small space could have triggered his migraine. Spotting a pitstop she pulled off and parked the bike, "If you would kindly shut it off please?" She waited until he turned it off then motioned him to get off, she kicked the kickstand down and got off stretching her arms over her head and twisted her back from side to side, "Oh god, I forgot how your body aches after so long, you doing okay?"

Nilo stretched for a full minute before replying. "Mhm, I'm great." He looked around the pit stop. There wasnt anyone else there except them. A small restroom stood nearby. Nilo headed towards it, but stopped abruptly only a few steps later. He looked curiously down at his still bare feet and the grass he was standing on. He cocked his head to the side and knelt down, running his hand through the lush grass. It was so different from the stuff he'd walked over in the forest, and in the city. It was really soft and cool against his sore feet. He watched a small bug crawl up and over one strand of grass. Once again, he was struck by how little he knew about the world. He'd heard stories, and the rare book on occasion, but that was all. He had so much he wanted to learn and experience. He smiled at himself. This was an adventure he was looking forward to, and he wouldnt let anything or anyone take it away again.

Saki watched as Nilo ran his finger over the grass and almost cried, he's missed so much in life he didnt even know what something as common as grass was. She glanced around wishing she had something to keep as a momentum for his moment. She leaned against the wall watching him as she realized how much she took advantage of her world.

Nilo reluctantly stood back up and glanced back at Saki. "I'll be right back." He continued on his way to the restroom. When he was finished, he splashed water on his face, letting his anxieties and worries wash away with the water. He headed back outside and layed on the grass. He let his eyes follow the many little birds as they flitted about their day chirping and twittering about. Finally, he glanced around for Saki, but he was too comfortable where he was so he didnt get up.

Saki took her restroom break when Nilo got up and when she came back out he'd laid out on the grass; she silently walked his way and laid on her stomach next to him. Crossing her arms she laid her head on her arms and closed her eyes to enjoy the sunlight toasting her back. When was the last time she'd just napped out on a beautiful sunny day? When would they be far enough and safe enough to lazy about on a sandy beach?

Nilo let his eyes drift closed, the sunlight warming his whole body and making him drowsy. It was so peaceful laying there in the soft grass with the sun shining. It was a peacefulness he'd never been able to experience before. It was wonderful, and relaxing, and he hoped it could last for a lot longer than he knew it would. He hoped that someday, they'd never have to worry about being chased down and taken back to that awful lab. He could still smell the acrid scent of sanitiser and cleaner, the feel of it on his skin. The sensations sent shivers down his spine. He sighed and sat up, still staring at the bright blue sky. "We should probably get going. The sooner we get to your safe house, the better off we'll be."

Saki sat up hiding the startle of almost falling asleep, "You right, I just got lost in the moment for a bit." She gave him a sheepish smile and stood holding her hand out for him to take. She walked back to the bike and threw on her helmet while Nilo did as well; throwing over her leg she steadied the bike for him to get on before having him start it. Then they were off towards the safe house. She knew they'd need to stop in the next hour or so for gas and that was going to be an interesting deal for Nilo, she giggled at the thought.

Saki ditched the bike at the edge of the city and walked the rest of the way with Nilo, she wasnt sure if he could handle a tarc bus yet and what as 5 or 8 miles? She'd made a detour to a shoe store so Nilo wouldnt be barefoot though the infested city. By the time they made it to the safehouse the sun has set long ago and the water and chips had dwindled down to nothing. She paused near the door and took and deep breath, letting it out slowly. She reached for the long sliver chain around her neck, unclasping it she pulled out the silver oval pendant that had undiscriptive markings on it. She slid the hidden pannel open and held the pendant infront of the scanner as the green light scanned over it.
"Acess Granted. Welcome Shadow Cat." The Door slid open silently and the dim hallway lay before them; the walls covered with paintings from the children and adults that stayed here pictures hung over it from gatherings and faded memories. Saki sighed happily and glanced at Nilo with a smile.
"I know it's closed in like the lab but it will never feel, hear, or smell like it." She held out her hand, "come on I'm sure someone's here."

NIlo hesitated, glancing first at the hidden panel, then at the hallway before them. There were practically no similarities between it and the lab beyond the fact that it was a hallway. He stepped tentatively inside, peering cautiously down the hallway, noting the location of every door. He glanced back at the open door behind him, then let his gaze settle on Saki. They'd made it this far without being caught. She said it was safe, so then that had to be true, right? The thought surprised him. When had he gained so much trust for her?He pushed the thoughts aside. It didnt matter. He smiled, and returned his attention to the hallway. "Alright. I believe you," he replied, waiting for her to take the lead.

Saki nodded at him and started forward, she could feel the presense of other people in the building, it surpised her how accurate her new abilites were she could almost tell the difference between genders, but that would take time and practice. Time that she would spend on helping Nilo stablize. The hallway opened up into a common room that was fairly large with couches and a table scattered and a large tv mounted on the wall. The adults looked up as they entered and a few males stood, tension running through their shoulders.
"Who are you." Saki held her pendant out in front of her straightening her spine and tipping her head back slightly.
"I am the freedom that will come." And just like that the tension flowed away and all but one male sat down. The man made his way to them eyeing Nilo.
"I can tell he is not one, why did you bring him here." Saki starred the man down.
"Because we escaped the lab a half a days drive from here. He was what the lab was built for." The man looked at her in surprise.
"You must be Shadow Cat then, Saki Hanayuma. Your commander comes through here every few months. I believe they expected you to have left years ago." Saki glared at him.
"There was on chance to and I wouldnt have left him behind in such a horrid white washed place. Do you have a room for us?" The man nodded knowing she wouldnt respond to his answers anymore and led them to a small apartment. Once the man left she sighed locking the door. She made it to the couch before collapsing onto it, "Sorry about the whirl of questions he hammered out, we've always been on the cautious side of things when it came to unfamilar faces."

Nilo followed silently, taking in all the images on the walls. The room they entered at the end was large enough to quell his nervousness a bit. He hesitated behind Saki, his eyes glued on the strange people. He'd never seen so many in one room before. His gaze immediately went to the man aproaching them, and he had to stop himself from taking a step back. He didnt like being around so many strangers, he could feel his heart rate increase just a little. He remained still during their breif conversation, his eyes never leaving the man.

Once they got into the room, Nilo retreated to the chair farthest from the door. He spotted a few other doors, but none of them led out to the other people, so he left them be. He then eagerly removed the shoes he'd had to wear. His feet were absolutely killing him. He gently rubbed them, his eyes darting back up to the door every few seconds. "They wont make me go back, will they? I cant go back. I wont." Nilo asked nervously, his voice hushed as if they were listening in.

Saki lifted her head up and gave Nilo a gentle smile, "No, they're not going to take you back, they're just curious as to who you are is all; besides they couldnt make you go back if you didnt want them to now." She sat up with a jaw cracking yawn and got up and walked over to Nilo, taking his hand lightly. "Come on I locked the door; these apartments only have one room, lets get you to bed." She tugged at him until he stood and led him to the left side of the living room and opened the bedroom door. A large queen sized bed sat in the center with a side table and a lamp on top of it, a clock sat just in front it's red glaring lights reading 4 in the morning.
"Jeese no wonder I'm tired we've been awake for almost a day and a half." She grumbled and pulled the blankets down and sat Nilo down, "sleep well, I'm sure this is the first time sleeping on something comfortable so enjoy, dont worry I locked the door they;ll have to breack the door down to get in and I'm sure we'll both be awake before that happens."

Nilo glanced once more at the door, then nodded and layed down. He couldnt believe how soft the bed was. It was like laying on a cloud. He'd never felt something so soft before. He fell into a deep dreamless sleep almost instantly.

Sunlight streaming in through the window woke Nilo the next day. He groaned and sat up, rubbing his eyes groggily. He wondered what kind of special tests they'd make him go through today, hopefuly nothing too tiring, he wanted to go to the gym room for at least a little bit. A nice long run sounded nice. He paused, lowering his hand and looking around. He wasnt on a cot in a blindingly white room. He was on a comfortable bed in a normal, comfy room. It took him a second to remember everything that had happened. They'd escaped. They were free. It still seemed a bit too good to be true. He got to his feet and padded into the living room, looking around for Saki.

Saki had striped down to a T-shirt and her underwear, tucking herself into a blanket that she'd kicked off in the middle of her sleep; she lay on her side curled into the couch her lower half twisted so one leg was hanging off the couch and the other was curled into the cushions of the couch. She had two pillows, one thrown over her head and the other beneath her head. She'd been so tired, the couch had almost instantly enveloped her into sleeping deeply. But not before she had double checked the door and then blocked it with a chair half afraid that she would be too tired to feel any threat coming their way. And that's how Nilo found her sleeping peascefully in such an in appropriate state.

Nilo spotted her draped on the couch almost immediately, and couldnt help but laugh quietly. He shook his head and veered towards the kitchen area, sending a quick glance at the front door. Seeing the chair there blocking anyone from entering relieved him quite a bit. Someone trying to get in past that would get everyone's attention, and it would take long enough that Nilo could easily defend himself. He poked around in the kitchen, trying to find something that looked edible, but couldnt find anything he knew was good to eat. He'd never really been in a kitchen before, afterall. He gave up the search a few minutes later and returned to the living room. He found a couple books adorning a shelf and picked one at random, then settled on one of the unoccupied chairs to read while he waited for Saki to wake up.

Saki slowly woke yawning as she rolled onto her back which caused her to fall off the couch with an awakening thud; with a groan she opened her eyes, ones that seemed to have stuck themselves together. "I havent slept that deeply in years. Stupid couch for running out of room." She morning grumbles were cut off when she spotted Nilo in one of the chairs and blushed a dark red to her ears. "G-good morning."

He set his book down and glanced at her. "Good morning," he replied, chuckling to himself. "I see you slept quite well." He couldnt fathom how she'd been able to sleep so well in such a position. It looked incredibly uncomfortable. Some people just sleep strangely, he supposed. He glanced at the door. "So far, no one's come by. What are we going to do today?"

OOC//: Sorry been doing stuff and forgot about Iwaku XD

She pulled the blanket around her laughing lightly, "Yes like the dead, the place never felt safe enough to sleep deeply like it did." She let out a jaw cracking yawn, "Most people that come to the safe houses are use to being alone so we try not to bother one another with trivial things. They'll probably be contacting my commander soon so we'll have a few days to relax under the radar until he comes with my traveling things and a car."

OOC: Thats fine XD

The thought that they wouldnt be bothered much let out tension he didnt even realize he was holding. "Thats a relief." He replied. He didnt want to interact with the people here too much. He didnt trust them. "A few days, eh? Where will we go once they return?" He could only imagine what the rest of the world was like. He knew it was large, but just how large? Pictures and words only went so far afterall, and he found himself getting excited at the idea of seeing more of that world he was so much a stranger to.

Status
Not open for further replies.