Through Beakers and Test Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saki smiled up at him knowing that it was one that would knock him back in his senses as she'd used it many times before she'd been thrown in the lab. "Thank you so much we got in a fight with our friends on a road trip and they threw us out the car. Can you believe that?! In the middle of nowhere! I only had enough time to grab my bag but I dropped my phone in the car!" She climbed into the truck as she spoke and then sniffed at the end as if she were going to cry at the throught. "We've been walking for god knows how long they didnt even let my boyfirend get his shoes." She looked at the trucker as Nilo climbed in with a watery smile. "Thank you so much for stopping...no one else would."

"Aw, its no problem at all Miss. I'm happy to help a nice couple such as yourselves. Its a shame your friends dumped you. Give 'em a right talkin to when you get home," he replied, a smile on his face. "The town's an hour and a half drive from here, so go ahead make yerselves comfortable."

Nilo gazed out the window of the truck, watching the trees zip past at an impossible speed. He'd been in a car before, when they took him back to the lab after his escape, but that had been the first time. The experience was still new to him. The jostling and bumping and the noise of the tires on the road. The sensations assaulted him. He could smell the acrid wrongness of the truck, and his body felt heavy with the pressure of moving so fast. The zipping trees threw his head for a whirl, and the twists and turns made his head spin even more. He could feel his headache from before threatening to come back. He rested his head in his hands, trying to block out all the strange and uncomfortable sensations jostling him.

The trucker glanced at him. "You alright boy? If you gonna be sick, tell me, or at least do it outta the window."

Nilo shook his head. "Not sick," he muttered.

Saki rustled through her bag and pulled out a few more tablets she would need to find a permanent syrum for Nilo soon she held them in front of his downcast face, "Here to ease the pain." Her voice was soft, she smiled when he took them and rubbed his back she glanced at the trucker apologetically.
"He gets migraines that come on suddenly it's like being hit between the eyes with a sledge hammer." She pulled out a bottle of water and handed it to Nilo once he swallowed the pills.
"Some water might ease it as well since we've been walking a while."

Nilo quickly took the pills and the water, downing the liquid in minutes. The motions and sensations were clashing painfully with the treatments she had administered to him a few days previous. He hoped the pills would help the problem go away.

The trucker smiled in sympathy and shook his head. "Is alright, miss. My wife got those all the time. Terrible things. If I were you, I'd get him into a doc if its bad, there could be tumors there. Thats what got my wife. Tumor in the head, t'was causin her migranes." He glanced at them. "Its a terrible thing, but ya dont wanna risk yer family."

She smiled at him, "He's had them since he was a kid they're hereditary; he doesnt look it but it's stress that kicks them on." She looked at Nilo as she spoke stroking his back trying to let some of her calm and peacefulness ease the sensery overload; she kissed his forehead on impulse. They'd been trapped together as experiment and scientist for years and now being free she felt the chain of detachment that had been breaking slowly fall away. She wanted him to make it to town before she worried about getting him any farther.

Nilo smiled appreciatively, the pain starting to ebb a little. Throughout most of the rest of the drive, he remained silent, resting his head on Saki's shoulder and keeping his eyes closed. He even dozed off a couple times. An hour or two later, the trucker pulled up to a gas station well inside the city. Nilo roused reluctantly and crawled out of the truck. "I dont like vehicles," he mumbled to no one in particular.

"Here ya go, and good luck to ya. Give yer friends a smack for me, and dont let em leave ya behind again, ya hear?" The trucker told them as he began putting gas in the truck.

Saki gave Nilo an amused glance at his mumbled words and nodded to the trucker, "Oh you bet I will, I have five hours of seething anger waiting for their pussy asses." She laughed taking Nilo's hand and started in the gas station. "Let's get some junk food for the road I spoted a motorcycle parked a few blocks away I'm sure that it might be easier on you; you could very well just have car sickness. I use to have it as a kid and if i didnt have a window open while riding I felt like I was going to hurl." She laughed at the memory and smiled at him faintly, "It may be a little late in your life but we can make plenty of memories for you that other take advantage of as a child." The door bell jingled as they entered the store she went to the chips and jerky she paused wondering if she should get one of each of the smaller bags so Nilo could figure out what kind of chips he liked.

Nilo wandered around the store, picking up various packages that looked interesting and examining them a minute before setting them back down and continuing on. After a while, he found himself beside Saki in front of the chips. "There's so much stuff here." he said to her quietly. He poked at a few bags. "These ones feel empty." He looked at her, "They're not selling empty bags, are they?" The headache had lessened since he'd gotten out of the car, and was beginning to perk back up, his curiosity coming with it. The store was fascinating. He'd never seen so much food in one place before. It seemed a bit... wasteful. "Wont all this go to waste? There's so much..."

Saki watched in amusement as he wandered the asiles looking at the food; she shook her head at his question. "No it's just to keep the chips from breaking and not the food here can last for years because it has no moisture to mold or rot. Also the items usually sell pretty fast in a week; they restock the shelves every night." She waved her hand out at the shelves, "See anything you might like? We need stuff for the road and chips and jerky are easiest to carry out worrying about chilling or going bad."

Nilo nodded. That all made sense once he thought about it. He looked over all the bags of chips. They were all so colorful and bright and different. He wanted to try them all. Instead, he picked up one that was in a blue bag. He handed them to her. "I'll try this one." His jaunt around the store had showed him just how much he had yet to learn about this world. It was all still so new. His previous jaunt outside hadnt shown him much. His escape had led him to a small camp before. Only three or four people had been there, and Nilo had made a point of avoiding them, he hadnt trusted them to not attack him. Already, he'd learned so much more this time around than he had ever before. Just how big was this world? he wondered.

Saki chuckled as he handed her the chips and took a few more off the shevles as well as some cookies, jerky, and a few more bottles of water. She hoped that the cash she'd stashed away in her things would be enough, she was sure it was but if Nilo kept having these migraines they wouldnt get far from here before they got caught. If she could only make it to a safehouse; one that the group that she'd been with knew about. They all probably thought she was dead by now but she was sure there was one near by...she just needed a map. She snatched one out of the little round about thing and set all their items on the counter. The lady looked at it with a raised brow, Saki gave her a pathetic smile, "Got ditched by our ride now we're walkin it." The lady made a sympathetic sound and rang everything up and put it in a bag for her as she pulled out the money for it. "Thanks." She took her change and the food, turning she looked around to find Nilo.

Nilo was waiting quietly behind her. He was still scanning the store, although now he wasnt focusing on any one thing in particular. His mind was focused inwards instead, playing over their escape and the hours since. Although there was a lot of excitement and new things for him - the large truck had been particularly frightening - one other thing stood out the most: his headaches. Something about them bothered him. In all the years he'd spent at that lab, all the things they'd given him, he had only ever gotten migranes of this level and frequency once before. The memory flew around his mind, clinging to his waking mind and determined to not dissappear. A large change had occured in his powers at the time, and the change had not been pleasant. Worry crossed his face. He couldnt deal with such things now while freedom was so close.

She touched Nilo's shoulder lightly, "Let's get out of here." She took his hand and lead him onward. Saki scanned the parking lot and then started towards the lot a block away seeing that the motorcycle was still there. "I need to see where we are so I can find a safe place to stablize your abilities or the migraines will continue; I was able to with mine because mine is more passive and yours is agressive. The new strain on your mind is like workng a muscle too much and waking up the next day weak kneed. Only this is a little more dangerous than weak knees..." She pause the pull out the map she carefully unfolded it and scowered the map knowing the exit that they'd stopped at

Nilo hesitated for a moment, debating his next question. He wasnt entirely sure he wanted to ask the question now or later, although it would be better to get it out of the way quickly he supposed. "Saki, will you actually be able to fix it? I mean, out here, it doesnt look like you have all the stuff you need..." He paused again, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sure it'll fix itself eventually, so you dont need to go to all that trouble..." He hoped his words were true, but he wasnt entirely sure.

Saki paused, glancing up from the map with a small smile, "It's why I need a map, the people that I use to run with have safe houses in each state, some more than others. I was looking for the closest one; if I can get us there I can fix it." She gave into her compulsion and hugged him tight. "I wont leave you behind I swear; we're connected now, one of a kind..." She laughed, "Well two of a kind."

Nilo stiffened a bit at her sudden contact. It was very warm, and comforting. Is that what a hug is? He wondered. Its nice... His worries calmed down a bit and relief washed through him. He didnt understand why, though. Not too long ago, he didnt care either way about her, she was one of the people testing on him after all. But now... his worry for her surprised him. Two of a kind, he repeated to himself with a smile. He nodded to her. "Thanks." She was right. He wasnt alone anymore.

Saki's smile brightened before turning back the the map and studying it for the next ten minutes. "Okay" She spoke suddenly folding the map back as it was and put it in the plasitc bag; the same that she then put in the backpack and handed to Nilo. "I know where to go and until I can teach you to drive you'll have to sit behind me." She gave him a smirk, "I'm sure you'll come to love motorcycles, you look the type..." She trailed off as she started for the bike as if it was zeroed into her vision.

Nilo slung the backpack onto his back as he'd seen Saki do it before. He itched and picked at it, the weight and feel of the thing against him strange and uncomfortable. "Driving?" He repeated doubtfully, peering at the motorcycle, apprehension clouding his features. "I dont know if I want to learn that... It looks terrifying."

Saki laughed at his words; as they reached the bike she glanced around quickly to see if anyone was near by that would try to stop them. She took the helmets and strapped hers on and helped Nilo with his. She popped the pegs down for Nilo to put his feet on and threw her leg over the bike. Once Nilo got on she glanced back at him. "If you start getting migranes again tap my shoulder okay? Cause we wont beable to talk once I get us going. Now turn this baby on." The edge of excitement seeped into her voice. "And hold on."

Nilo peered doubtfully at the motorcycle. He sighed. "Alright." He closed his eyes and focused on the machine. It was complex and some of it was fragile. He had to be careful and use the right amount of energy to get it going without breaking it. The motorcycle stuttered a minute as he tried to get it going. IT was harder than he had thought. Finally it roared to life. Nilo smiled and rested his head against Saki's back, his arms wrapped around her middle. Trying to get something like that started had exhausted him. He was just glad he didnt have a migrane yet. He figured all he needed was a little rest. He'd used his power more in that day than he had in a long time. "Lets just get to this safe house of yours," he replied, his voice muffled by her back.

Status
Not open for further replies.