Throne of Glass (Open Signup)

N

Nimbeon

Original poster
Our story so far...

Conquer, conquer, conquer. To the king of Vitreus, all a map is is a reminder of what he has taken by force. His conquest extends from sea to shining sea and he is nowhere near done as magic still lives on in hidden parts of his land, a threat that he seeks to destroy. But as any great man eventually does, he begins to grow paranoid, of what is happening in lands too far from his throne of glass, of what his own trusted men of nobility are plotting. Outlawing magic and enslaving is not enough anymore. He needs someone; a certain someone to drench their hands in blood for his sake; a certain someone to be his weapon.

A competition he calls forth, a spectacle sponsored by men of high status all throughout the capital. They each come forth with a ruthless champion of their own, bidding money and honor on the lives of these warriors as they battle to the death to be the king's assassin, to be a lapdog to be spoiled with riches until the day they can fight no more.

Days turn into weeks which turn into months and the numbers of competitors dwindle down to a mere six 'champions' and their sponsors. The king takes personal interest in these finalists. They are all brought into the quartz castle in the capital of Ithiel, the glass city, to be trained under the same hands that train the royal guard. Together they must reside, honing their skills until the tests resume cutting their numbers down even further. But in this time together, this time so close to the king, will hearts change about the competition? Or will warriors continue to spill blood for the sake of getting a piece of the royal life?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The competition began with 96 warriors of all different locations within Vitreus' conquered lands. These people are everyone from the common working folk that may be skilled to jailed criminals released for the event, but for the sake of the King's pride he deems them warriors and champions instead of murderers. Not all of the smaller competitions that resulted in these six being chosen were created equal. While they all contained mutual tests of skill (to eliminate people who weren't well rounded enough) and battles to the death, you may decide what combination of this your character's particular location put them through. So if your particular character came from a rougher location and you'd like to make it so that it was week after week of fight to the death battles, you can.

These smaller preliminary rounds were held at the same time and over the course of fourth months. Eliminations were weekly and all held in the military buildings to hide the competition from the general public who the King wanted to keep in the dark. What the contestants did on the other six days of the week was up to them, but no matter what they were always followed around by guards who needed to make sure they didn't let anything about the competition slip.

All of the characters are given equal opportunity to succeed in this environment, but not all characters are created equal~ Your character's competition now may be more than they have had to deal with in their particular locations.

The king is looking for an assassin. Someone to spy, steal and kill in his name if necessary. This is why he opened his competition to a large amount of people to try and find the most well rounded "warrior" to be his tool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all~
This RP is greatly based off a book series I have recently read and really loved.

These are the following positions and please note that each contestant has a sponsor, they don't need to be a large part of the story if you don't want to play two characters are once, but they must at least have a name, status and vague description.

King of Vitreus:
Contestant 1: Sylvia Fairwether [Nimbeon]
Contestant 2: Leonidas "Leon" Caradhwen [Damien Nyr]
Contestant 3: Felindor "Feli" Mouse [Sarre]
Contestant 4: Aoi Homura [StarryNIGHT]
Contestant 5:
Contestant 6:

I am leaving the position of King open in case anyone is interested in that in particular, however there are a few characteristics he has that must be maintained such as his paranoia, ruthlessness, hatred of magic/magical creatures. If no one wants to take this role I will volunteer to do it.

Character Sheet:
Name:
Appearance: (Pictures are fine)
Best Skill: (Swordplay, poisons, archery, etc. If it is magic, remember that they are NOT allowed to use it at all during the competition.)
Weakest Skill:

Sponsor Name:
Why they chose this champion in particular:
Rank/Title:
Appearance:

Rules:
- Follow all Iwaku rules~
- Feel free to add to the story in any way! (Lore, Characters, Royal Family, Mythical creatures, etc.)
- Romance is perfectly fine!
- Swearing is perfectly fine!
- No God Modding
- No One Liners

Last edited by a moderator:
A few questions, if you don't mind:

- How many people were in the competition in the very beginning? I'm curious as to how many people each of the six already had to kill. Do they all have the blood of around two to three people on their hands, or ten to twenty?

- How long and how hard has the competition currently been running, and how was it structured. Is it a series of 1v1 battles, or were large groups put into arenas and told to fight it out? How often did these fights last, and were there breaks in-between? If they were in arenas, was it like a coliseum, or a vast Hunger Games-esque field?

-Are stealth based characters and heavily armoured characters given equal opportunity to succeed? This kind of ties in to the arena question. I'd imagine a shadowy, dagger-wielding character wouldn't do well in a coliseum setting, and a heavily armoured knight would have problems in thick forest.

-What is the king looking for, exactly? A public assassin to be both a hero and a terror to the people, or one that works in the shadows; to investigate leads, bring in reports, and kill people in their beds. Is the king the flexible sort that will change the role to match the winning contestant? You've used the words "champion" and "warrior" which, in my opinion, don't mesh perfectly with the word "assassin." Is the King, in his reckless paranoia, carelessly assuming that the best knight will be the best assassin?

-Is the beginning of the rp the moment they are all introduced to the king and shown their rooms? If so, how much time will pass, either in days/weeks or in post count, until the competition is resumed?

-How much of this can I (or anyone else) "feel-free to add"? Is there a rule that we have to suggest the idea in this thread before we introduce it in the actual plot. (I'd prefer if there was, to prevent confusion and such, but it's your rp.)

Eeks, that turned into a rather large wall of text; sorry about that. I am a little obsessive over detail, heh...

Name:
Leonidas "Leon" Caradhwen

Blacksmith's apprentice

Appearance:

Best Skill:
Offensive strikes, speed, parrying

Weakest Skill:
Magic (cannot perform it, very weak to it),

Sponsor Name:
Strantham Reminis Knightbane

Leonidas' uncle was a blacksmith in the city of Molathen, of which the Reminis Knightbane clan is one of the leading families. When Leonidas' uncle was murdered by a member of the corrupt Oedanite faction, which is a contending faction for control of Molathen, Leonidas sought revenge. Unable to determine which of the thirty-two Oedanite faction members had murdered his uncle, due to them covering up for one another, Leonidas hunted down every single one of them to ensure that the killer was dead. He turned himself in to the Molathen Guards following the murder of the last surviving member. Hearing of the inadvertant part Leonidas played in consolidating his clan's power in Molathen, Strantham had Leonidas spared from execution and began to train him with his own militia.

Rank/Title:
Second of the Twelve Supreme Lords of the Vitrean Court
High Lord of Molathen
Former commander-in-chief of the Vitrean army
Second-in-command of the Vitrean army

Appearance:

A few questions, if you don't mind:

- How many people were in the competition in the very beginning? I'm curious as to how many people each of the six already had to kill. Do they all have the blood of around two to three people on their hands, or ten to twenty?

- How long and how hard has the competition currently been running, and how was it structured. Is it a series of 1v1 battles, or were large groups put into arenas and told to fight it out? How often did these fights last, and were there breaks in-between? If they were in arenas, was it like a coliseum, or a vast Hunger Games-esque field?

-Are stealth based characters and heavily armoured characters given equal opportunity to succeed? This kind of ties in to the arena question. I'd imagine a shadowy, dagger-wielding character wouldn't do well in a coliseum setting, and a heavily armoured knight would have problems in thick forest.

-What is the king looking for, exactly? A public assassin to be both a hero and a terror to the people, or one that works in the shadows; to investigate leads, bring in reports, and kill people in their beds. Is the king the flexible sort that will change the role to match the winning contestant? You've used the words "champion" and "warrior" which, in my opinion, don't mesh perfectly with the word "assassin." Is the King, in his reckless paranoia, carelessly assuming that the best knight will be the best assassin?

-Is the beginning of the rp the moment they are all introduced to the king and shown their rooms? If so, how much time will pass, either in days/weeks or in post count, until the competition is resumed?

-How much of this can I (or anyone else) "feel-free to add"? Is there a rule that we have to suggest the idea in this thread before we introduce it in the actual plot. (I'd prefer if there was, to prevent confusion and such, but it's your rp.)

Eeks, that turned into a rather large wall of text; sorry about that. I am a little obsessive over detail, heh...
It's perfectly fine! I think I shall update right after I post this, but to answer your questions:

The competition began with 96 warriors of all different locations within Vitreus' conquered lands. These people are everyone from the common working folk that may be skilled to jailed criminals released for the event, but for the sake of the King's pride he deems them warriors and champions instead of murderers. Not all of the smaller competitions that resulted in these six being chosen were created equal. While they all contained mutual tests of skill (to eliminate people who weren't well rounded enough) and battles to the death, you may decide what combination of this your character's particular location put them through. So if your particular character came from a rougher location and you'd like to make it so that it was week after week of fight to the death battles, you can.

These smaller preliminary rounds were held at the same time and over the course of fourth months. Eliminations were weekly and all held in the military buildings to hide the competition from the general public who the King wanted to keep in the dark. What the contestants did on the other six days of the week was up to them, but no matter what they were always followed around by guards who needed to make sure they didn't let anything about the competition slip.

All of the characters are given equal opportunity to succeed in this environment, but not all characters are created equal~ Your character's competition now may be more than they have had to deal with in their particular locations.

The king is looking for an assassin. Someone to spy, steal and kill in his name if necessary. This is why he opened his competition to a large amount of people to try and find the most well rounded "warrior" to be his tool.

I would like to hear input from others about how long until the competition should begin and how it should be gone about.

Similar to how Damien has, you can create factions, cities, corruption, etc. There are very few things set in stone about this world and how it's run for everyone to be able to get some elbow room. As for plot, I would prefer if anyone wants to take it in a certain direction to propose it as an idea here and get an okay from a majority of the people before proceeding so everyone is aware of what is going on.

I hope I answered everything... if I didn't let me know!

Name:
Leonidas "Leon" Caradhwen

Blacksmith's apprentice

Appearance:

Best Skill:
Offensive strikes, speed, parrying

Weakest Skill:
Magic (cannot perform it, very weak to it),

Sponsor Name:
Strantham Reminis Knightbane

Leonidas' uncle was a blacksmith in the city of Molathen, of which the Reminis Knightbane clan is one of the leading families. When Leonidas' uncle was murdered by a member of the corrupt Oedanite faction, which is a contending faction for control of Molathen, Leonidas sought revenge. Unable to determine which of the thirty-two Oedanite faction members had murdered his uncle, due to them covering up for one another, Leonidas hunted down every single one of them to ensure that the killer was dead. He turned himself in to the Molathen Guards following the murder of the last surviving member. Hearing of the inadvertant part Leonidas played in consolidating his clan's power in Molathen, Strantham had Leonidas spared from execution and began to train him with his own militia.

Rank/Title:
Second of the Twelve Supreme Lords of the Vitrean Court
High Lord of Molathen
Former commander-in-chief of the Vitrean army
Second-in-command of the Vitrean army

Appearance:
I think something may have gone wrong if you tried to copy and paste or place a picture for appearance. Perhaps it is just my computer, but it is blank for me, could you try and fix that?

Beautiful detailed answers make me very happy! (Yes, you did answer everything.)

Name:
Felindor (Feli) Mouse. Her actual last name is unknown; she made that up on the spot (mice are her favourite food!) and is regretting choosing something so easy to make fun of.

While she is actually just eighteen, she and her sponsor are saying she is nineteen, so as to be in accordance with the rules of the competition.

She was a hunter that supplied a local butcher. There was no formal agreement between them. She just brought him stuff whenever she felt like it and needed some cash, and he was happy to take what she brought. (She was / is not aware that he was ripping her off.)

Appearance:
Every aspect of her is thin and very spidery, from her long, mousy hair to her spindly limbs. Even her face appears a little bit gaunt, with long nose and high cheekbones. All this makes her look rather tall, though really she's a bit below average in height.

Best Skill:
The classically effective combination of archery, stealth, and nimbleness. She also makes heavy use of naturally found poisons, but despite this, she is not particularly good at (or interested in) mixing her own. It is simply a matter of lazily rubbing her arrows or quarrels every time she stumbles across something she knows to be toxic.

Weakest Skill:
Close-combat fighting. To circumvent this she has a small handheld crossbow, which she can fire quickly while running for the hills or scampering up trees. Spectators usually do not like her very much.

Sometimes she will have either arrows or quarrels that are able to pierce through some standard armours, depending on what Lord Farwin has sent her, but these only usually work in close range and do not go very far into the skin, so she'd only make the attempt after safely nestling herself in a high spot and taunting her opponent.

There was one particular match in which she literally sat in a tall oak tree and waited for her opponent to succumb to poisons, which made for a very boring four-hour long fight that angered half the spectators, and made the other half leave or fall asleep.

She is kind of concerned that her competition would have heard of her due to this rather infamous match, and will make a plan to beat her.

Sponsor Name:
Lord Farwin Arrd

Not particularly fond of either the odds or purpose of the competition, he elected not to send any of his devoted star soldiers.

Instead, he went and found the people in his kingdom that he knew were good fighters: the people that had showed prowess at his festival contests, or soldiers that had left his army in favour of family or otherwise.

Naturally, they all declined.

Well, except Felindor; his last resort.

So then he tossed a couple simple tests her way (an examination of her general skill, whether she was capable of cold-blooded killing, that sort of thing) which she passed quite easily, and that was that.

At first he had worried that little Feli would be one of the first to fall (which would have revealed that he chose his champion carelessly), but she has proven to be a pleasant surprise. He is now quite fond of her, and dutifully sends her packages of varied ammunition types, poisons, and jars of pickled mice resentfully prepared by the mildly suriphobic castle cook.

Rank/Title:
Formerly one of the twelve Lords of the Vitrean Court, he now simply rules over a large chunk of the Western Rock Forests, which is a collection of flat mountains with productive fields and forests nestled within. Most of the other Lords, while they respect his experience, do not take him very seriously. They treat him like that grandfather that spends half the day napping, and the other half reading and drinking tea: Harmless and friendly. With Felindor's recent success in the competition, they are also seeing him as a shrewd gambler that hides a gentle smirk behind that beard and those smiling eyes.

Appearance:
Old, small, and meek-looking, his battle days are long over. Now he sits in his castle, tossing out smiles and small favours and playing the political game to keep everyone happy. He also sports a rather majestic beard that everyone, including himself, frequently jokes about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that, it's blank intentionally, I was just going to add a pic when I found an appropriate one for the character

Name: Sylvia Fairwether

Occupation: When she was a child, Sylvia's father was sent to the mines to be a slave for the rest of his life and left his wife, two daughters and son to live as common folk under the King's rule after they escaped from their country. But Sylvia's mother was a vengeful woman and became bitter and resentful to all that had to do with the royal family, the nobility and the army. The woman joined an assassin's guild, selling her life time of servitude for her three children's training, care and nourishment. Sylvia took to a murderer's life well and made a career out of being an assassin like her mother.

Appearance: Sylvia stands at a slightly above average height, but not taller than most men. Her hair is very long, too long and slightly impractical for an assassin, reaching her mid back and is a dark chocolate color that becomes a very light shade of brown in the sunlight. Out of habit she constantly keeps it in a very tight bun and lets her bangs frame her tanned face. Sylvia is a thicker girl with toned limbs and bright hazel eyes, the one feature she appreciates that she received from her grandmother. While not unattractive, she is not a girl to make head turns on the streets, but with a few cosmetics she could pass as your average court lady.

Best Skill: Swordplay, daggers and speed. Those three skills she honed in on as she worked with her mother and sister who were long ranged fighters. She is the type of assassin to kill quickly and cleanly and refuses to be without some sort of weapon on her at all times.

Worst Skill: Bows, crossbows. Sylvia can fire an arrow, but it will never be a bull's eye. She spent most of her life working with people who could work long ranged while she worked close and so never gave the skill much importance. Magic is also a weakness of hers because while she can perform it, she can't control it.

Sponsor Name: Nathaniel Sardothien

Why they chose this champion in particular: Nathaniel and Sylvia share a past that he would rather ignore ever existed. But when he heard that she had been caught at the murder scene during the foiling of a slave trade, he sprung her out of her holding cell with the reason that the King ordered her release for the competition.

Rank: Duke of Ishiim, a cloudy large port city used often for the trading of foreign goods and slaves.

Appearance: Nathaniel is very tall with pale skin from all the time he spends away from the sun in his city. He has medium length hair combed back neatly that show his green eyes and face dotted with faint freckles. While not overly bulky, he does have broad shoulders and muscles from his time in the army and scars that are concealed by clothing on his arms and legs.

Name:
Aoi Homura
青い炎
"Prefers to be called Ao for short"

http://japanese.about.com/library/media/audio/ao.mp3
(^^For people who have no idea how to pronounce Ao^^)

Information Broker
(He's paid to collect otherwise difficult to obtain or unknown information. It all depends on the client really. He is not beyond anything but murder to get the desired data.)

Appearance:
kaito__by_i_Riya.jpg

299200.jpg

male_black_rock_shooter_vocaloid_genderbend_hd-wallpaper-1528049.jpg

Best Skill:
Ao is naturally talented with anything that has a blade (basically everything sharp and pointy) and was born with extraordinary eyesight matched with his incredible precision skills with ranged weapons, Ao has never failed to shoot an accurate shot from any distance. His best skills are an odd combination of melee and range. Though kept as a secret for obvious reasons, he harbors a pure and deep rooted magic that is incredibly powerful but dangerous if not kept under control. His signature magic is blue hell fire that's able to burn as bright as day underwater with no hindrance. One of the many things he can do with it is to coat the sword blade with the blue flames and make it virtually able to cut through anything. Reloading guns and other ranged weapons would no longer be hassle for he is able to shoot out blue flames or blasts of light/arrows continuously (unless he is unable to preform magic).

Weakest Skill:
Heavy punches or direct hits. Since Ao relies on his ability to dodge and block, he wears no armor or heavy armor to not hinder his moves or ability to fight.

Sponsor Name:
Edgar Ashenbert

As far as anyone's concerned Ao volunteered and Edgar accepted.
That was all there was to it.

Rank/Title:
The Earl of Evertus rules over rich farmlands and the rolling hills near the outskirts of the Kingdom. Its a peaceful place where the King's rule just barely touches and its citizens are more than content with that notion.

Appearance:
Edgar.png

Yay another person! Hello! :D

Only two more now ~

Feel free @Enjolras~ Just fill out the character sheet and post it here. :)