Threads of Fire

Before Sabelle quit Looking, but viewed the world with her naked eyes, she knew. Her eyes went wide as she looked upon a familiar face that in her view she had only lost less then a week ago. Instinctively she sought out his eyes, her own beging to water as she beheld him. Sabelle covered her mouth, oh trecerous mouth that wished to sing out his name.

He toppled, he laughted and even that was the same. The way he smiled, the way he said her name. She took a step to him and stopped, shaking her head. It took every strand of her intellect to keep her from running to him and calling out the name that was still on her lips. "Oh what have I done," her voice throbbed as she looked at him. "First his memories, now his form, I am truly wicked."

Covering her face, she bowed her head, guilt overtaking her and fear. Fear that he would not forgive her. Which 'he' she didn't even consider. If her eyes were like the sky, then it was once more raining.

Ny stood, crossing to her side and pulling her into his arms, alarmed at her tears. "Oh no! The magic! It didn't harm you, did it? Sabelle? Oh please, Sabelle, do not cry." His calloused fingertips brushed at her tears and stroked at her hair and he found that comforting her was the most important thing in the world right now.

"Am I not... did I not do the spell right? I did not wish to damage you." He tipped her chin up, seeking her eyes with his. For what seemed like an eternity, he reveled in the fact that he could actually look into her eyes without chancing entrancement. "Sabelle..." He found himself drawn to her, lean down and brushing his lips across her cheek. The dragon made man winced at the sudden jolting sensation that shook him, eyes widening. He'd not expected any such feeling. And his lips had the moisture of her tears. Without thinking, he licked his lips.

"Ah, well, good to know that salt water is the same no matter what form I'm in," he muttered, then sighed.

It shouldn't have been a surpise, but when he came up and wrapped his arms around her she was startled. She couldn't look up at him though, she just couldn't, she was so ashamed. That he didn't even know why seemed worse. But he would not allow her head to be down turn and she looked up into his eyes, her own light blue eyes blinked back tears. It seemed so like him that she was even able to forget until he pulled his lips away from her cheek and muttered.

"No," she said finding voice again, pulling her eyes down and looking at his chest. "No, the spell functioned as it should. I was not harmed." Sabelle continued to look at his bare chest wondering how to even tell him. It was best to just say it. "You did your part perfectly. It is what I have done which... which...." Bare chest that she had laid a hand upon to feel his heartbeat. This wasn't right somehow. "It is the form. You're...."

Suddenly Sabelle looked up at him, her eyes wide and a her face beginning to flush. She pushed out of his arms and turned her back to him. He was naked. He was Calden. He was naked! "Y-you need cloths!"

"Ah, yes. You humans do tend to like to clothe yourselves. Hrm. I can see why." He looked down at himself, holding his hands out to either side and wiggling his toes in the grass. "Let me see if I can conjure some clothing without making it explode." He focused, closing his eyes. It was a bit more difficult in this form, and for a moment, he worried that it wasn't going to work. With a sudden Pop!, a set of clothing and pair of boots appeared mid air and crashed to the ground. And Ny's very human foot.

"A'dilestia Nor Cafrenis!" he cursed, grabbing his foot and collapsing to the ground to examine it. "You humans are very fragile!" Still grumbling in draconic (and then grumbling more as some of the words sounded wrong in this form), he began to pull the newly made clothing on. He'd made the pants a size too small, and they were slightly uncomfortable. The shirt had the opposite problem and it was only by virtue of it having laces that he got the thing to stay on. Thankfully, a belt was a belt and, by some miracle, the boots fit.

"There, all clothed."

Slowly she turned back around. Why she thought she would see anyone but Calden posing for her, she did not know. After all even if some of the words that had been uttered were very dragonish, it had still been with his voice. Worse was the fact that she was glad he still wore Calden's face. What was wrong with her? Surely she was the wickedest woman alive.

"That's good. We would have been driven out of the village most defiantly otherwise," she had tried to sound light hearted, but had failed. "Though I am starting to worry this had been a bad idea. I.... Oh I don't want you mad. I did not do it on purpose. Perhaps I shouldn't have thought to help. It's obvious I would go from memory. Not that is how one normally goes about it. In fact quite the opposite because it should be a distinct person, not a... but maybe I wasn't rational, I thought I had and...." she was rambling, and worse yet did not know how to stop. She wanted to try to explain things clearly to him and in the process got herself all tangled up.

He stepped close again, slower this time. Wrapping her in his arms, he sank slowly to sit in the grass, pulling her onto his lap. He was struck by how much her beauty and her gentle nature affected him in this form, making him want nothing more than to keep her safe. But now, she was in his arms, so warm and so close. He felt intoxicated, pressing a kiss to her forehead, then lifting her chin gently.

He'd never felt such power in anything. The draw to her was irresistible. One hand moved to the small of her back, pulling her as close as he could to himself. The other hand lingered on her jaw as his lips found hers, pressing softly against the sweetness that framed her mouth. He couldn't help himself for a moment, and now that he'd come this far, part of him wanted and needed this. He deepened the kiss, tasting her mouth, knowing that this was right, this was where he was meant to be. As he broke the kiss, he didn't think, merely spoke.

"I love you."

When he took her in his arms she stopped speaking. In fact she couldn't speak as he looked at her and brought her to the ground, onto his lap. All she could do is look at him in wonder. After all being with him, in his embrace felt so right. She felt like everything was as it should be, finally, as she looked at him. Every touch was familiar.

Then his lips found hers and what thoughts that had been left vanished. Closing her eyes she put her arms around his neck as she kissed him, with need and passion. Sabelle only opened her eyes as he pulled back, wishing it had not ended, but smiling as she heard his words. "Oh Calden, I love you too."

Her arms lost their strength and her face began to grow pale. Reality began to sink in once more.

Calden. Calden. Calden. CALDEN! The name dug into his mind, tearing through the haze, batting away the blocks that had been carefully constructed against the torrent of memories two days prior. Only, now that he was in this form, the memories did not feel intrusive. They were almost consuming! Gods, no, this was not possible. How was he... how was he a dragon? He'd never paid much attention to tales of reincarnation. But that had to be it. How else could be be this beast? This... Ny'v'thalnosan? No, no, this human form was Calden. Only the dragon was Ny. And he was... both?

Calden wrapped both arms around her, loosely so she would not feel trapped. He remembered. His eyes were haunted with the pain of his death, of the thought that he had lost her. But his smile was that of pure joy. Somehow, he'd found her again.

"Sabelle. I've missed it, missed hearing you tell me your feelings. I'm sorry, Sabelle. I didn't know. I couldn't have known who I was. But I do, now. I missed you. Gods, touching your skin again, seeing you smile. It has been wonderful. I wish I'd known it for what it was. Don't let me forget again, Sabelle."

Barely believing what she was hearing, of what the implications were, Sabelle brought a hand over and touched his check. His eyes seem to tell a long tale, one punctuated with pain, but that did not stop him. It barely slowed him down. Instead it seemed that wasn't his concern at all. A self conscious grin snuck upon her lips as she realized all his focus seemed to be on her.

"Calden, is it truly you my beloved?" Tears once more escaped, but this time she was not crying in sorrow, pain, and lost. She was amazed, relieved and overwhelmed. Wrapping her arms tightly abut him she rested her head on his shoulder. She tried to speak several times, each time never getting a word out. She still wasn't completely sure she had not caused something horrible, yet she wanted to believe in blessings and that maybe she had been granted one, unworthy as she might be.

"How? You... I don't understand." She almost didn't care. Calden was here and nothing would cause him to leave her again. She was sure of that. Despite the wild emotions flying through her though, she knew that it was foolish to throw away knowledge, especially knowledge that might be vital to both their future.

He shook his head slowly. "I don't know. I feel as though it is a certainty, though. I'm Calden. I'm Ny. Both love you so very much." His lips found hers again, and this time he didn't hold back even the slightest, sliding his hands into her hair and kissing her deeply and passionately. He wanted to stay like this, wanted her with him forever. His lips found her cheek, her ear, her mouth again. Finally, he forced himself to stop teasing her with kisses.

"I remember this. Remember you, and grass, and warmth and the setting sun. I never want to forget. I can't believe any force could ever make me forget again." He gave a heavy sigh. "We truly should be on our way, if we are to reach town."

His kisses in her skin, his hair between her fingers, so close together again. Sabelle had never been so desperate for Calden's touch, but she had never thought she had lost him before. Even when they were younger and she was stuck in lessons while a festival was going on, knowing all the village girls would be there flirting, she never worried about losing him. Though she was always happy for the reassurance later as he laughted about the antics she missed.

Sabelle did not move off his lap though when he suggested they get going. "You're amazing you know that?" She couldn't quite keep her hands off him. His arms, his chest, his face, she kept gently touching as though to reassure herself of the reality of him being there. There was a smile on her lips so bright, that she almost seemed innocent in her wonderment. "You came back, you found me, you released me. You are truly amazing."

Giving him a brief, but forceful kiss she finally leaned back and then got up off his lap. It would have been very easy for her to stay with him in that spot for much longer, but they were going to be traveling together and they were going to go home. Their long, strange, nightmarish adventure was nearly over. Things had changed. She did not know this time, he was not wholly human, but they were together and they would get through these new challenges together.

Oh how he wanted to pull her back down with him, to stay there in the grass and moss with her until they were both dizzy and covered in twigs and grass blades. Instead, he climbed to his feet and took her hand, not ready to relinquish her touch yet.

"Sabelle. I don't understand how it happened. I'm just glad it did. That I found you." He looked around, then smiled at her and gestured toward town. "We have a good deal of walking to do before nightfall. Are you up for it or do you want to camp here?" The breeze picked up then, playing through their hair and tugging at clothes. He looked up at the clear sky, then sighed. "On second thought, we should definitely head home. It is going to be cold here tonight."

"I think you're right," she said as she squeezed his hand, for she was just as much wanting his touch. As they headed for the road, Sabelle kept looking at him, grinning the whole while. If this was all a dream she knew she did not wish to wake, because any reality now without him would be too much to take after this blessed bliss. The nurse logs that had to be climbed over and the uneven ground and divots caused by roots and gophers made the situation more real and she soon was comfortable in the knowledge that despite all this being too good to be true, it was no dream or fantasy. It was real.

The wooden area had blocked the wind, but once they were on the road, in much better repair then she ever remembered it, she found herself shiver briefly. Her robes were now mended, but the early spring breezes at times could still bring a cold weather, weather she had not needed to worry about when the nightmare had started. Calden's presence though was warming and as long as they continued to walk she knew the cold would be barely noticeable.

"A room tonight, and then tomorrow we go exploring." It had always been the plan, but now it wasn't about her telling the tale of what had been, but them together seeing what was now.

They walked along, talking companionably and stopping on occasion just to embrace. The sun dipped below the horizon and the air's chill was only offset by their proximity to a major village. Home. Calden remembered Blue Meadow, the friendly people and the festivals. He mostly remembered his time working for the old jeweler and the time he spent with Sabelle. He could hardly wait to go sit by the river with her once more.

"I wonder if--" Whatever he'd been planning to say was cut short as they approached. The village was huge! Calden rushed forward in disbelief, very nearly taking a spearbutt to the gut for his trouble. "Wait, now, what's this?! Blue Meadow doesn't have gate guards!"

One of the guards chuckled.

"Foreigners," the other muttered, then both had a good laugh for about ten seconds. "I suppose you think you can just walk in without us checking you over for dangerous devices, huh?"

Dangerous....

"Not to mention weapons, contraband, evidence of danger." Guard number one smirked.

Calden bunched his hands into fists but then forced himself to relax. "If it must be, then just do so quickly. We want to get into town before dark."

"Now now, these matters take time. Though that time can be expedited..."

Rolling his eyes, Calden withdrew a gold coin. The part of him that was Ny cringed at the thought of giving away gold to some coward extorting gate guard, but the part of him that was Calden desperately wanted to be home. He passed the coin over to the guard, who blinked. Grinning at the bit of currency, he stepped aside after only the quickest check of their pouches and packs.

Walking through the streets, Calden soon found his annoyance evaporating. The town was remarkably different, but in a way, he was glad. It would have been hard to see all the old familiar shops and be constantly reminded that he couldn't walk in and talk to Henry the Smith or Margaretta from the sweets shop.

Gate guards? Weapons check? This was not how she remembered her home town, but then again it had been three hundred years since she last walked these streets. It was strange to be home and yet not recognize it. Absently she squeezed Calden's hand. She was still glad of her decision, to come here. If they stayed or if they traveled, it was good to start here.

The town seemed busier too. There were people walking about, doing their errands, dressed a lot like the people in the town close to the mountains had. The way the guard talked made Sabelle realize the change in emphasis of words was universal, or at least wide spread. She had no trouble understanding the words, but she knew that she must sound odd. Eventually she might adjust, perhaps.

"There's so much to see. I don't even know where to start," she admitted as she whispered to Calden. While she was proud of her role as a priestess they got many second glances from people as they passed and she wondered if it would be prudent to get some more modern clothing. She didn't want to do so at that moment though. She was a bit hungry and tired from the long day of travel. "Do you want to just get a room for tonight?"

"Perhaps that would be best. We could take some time to relax. Perhaps we should find something to eat, first. I think I remember a shortcut to the dining district, unless the streets have been terribly altered." Grinning, he ducked down an alley, tugging her along excitedly. They were home! From here, all things were possible. They'd have a life together! He looked over his shoulder at her as he went, smiling brightly. "Do you think we should eat outside or within?"

"Oh, I don't think you'll be eating much, what with no money." Calden turned to face forward again, looking down slightly at the scrappy looking man standing before him. "Your money. All of it." The mugger was broad shouldered and dark haired, a greasy beard on his face. Missing more than a few teeth, he blew fetid breath at them as he waved a rather wicked looking knife.

"Come on, then. I saw you bribe Frederick at the gate. I know you have gold. Now hand it over," the man swiveled the knife to point at Sabelle, "or the girl won't be so pretty when they patch her up. Trust me, I know how to make some scars you won't forget."

Sabelle had giggled when Calden pulled her down the alleyway, remembering the times she would come into town and he wold lead her around to anywhere she wanted to go. Then there would be the festivals and it would be hard to get around, except Calden always had a plan. It delighted her and made her feel more at ease.

That is until the man stepped in their path. No one with any respect would pull a knife on a priestess and her companion, though it was obvious this robber had no respect. Even then no one would have been an idiot enough before to pull a knife on her or one of her sisters. While Sabelle was rare in the strength and versatility of her abilities, she was not the only one who wheld mage power. Sabelle hoped that this was due to him not recoiling her as a priestess and not something else.

"You would threaten us? With that?" Sabelle pointed at the knife with the look of disgust as the weapon started to warp and change shapes. It was because he was threatening her, not attacking, that she was able to do this spell as it took a bit of concentration of the object you were trying to twist. For a blade that pointed at the person holding it was a useless thing indeed.

"You little mage bitch!" The mugger tossed the knife aside, balling his fists and making to attack her. He swung, attempting to get to her. He never made it.

The entire alley was filled with the noise of a dragon's roar as Calden moved, stepping sideways, the punch meant for Sabelle crashing into his arm instead. He took the hit, eyes flashing quicksilver as the dragon-made-man reached out and grabbed the assailant's fist. There were sickening pops as Calden tightened his grip, causing the mugger to cry out in pain. Calden, however, was enraged, one fist drawing back and slamming forward, cutting across the air between the two men and impacting the side of the attacker's face.

The man fell from the force, thrown first forward due to Calden's grip on his arm, then slumping backwards, unconcious, a dark bruise already beginning to form on his face. Blinking, Calden released the now broken and mangled hand, stepping back. It had taken so little to break this human, to injure him in such a way that he'd likely never be the same. A few seconds. That was all it took.

Seeing the fist, Sabelle started to wince until she heard the roar. There was her Calden, not just taking the hit, which did not harm him in the least, but grabbing the offending hand. The sound it made was distressing, though perhaps not deserved. One punch from Calden and the would be mugger was out cold. It was shocking!

"We should go," Sabelle said as she took Calden's arm, rubbing her hand in a soothing fashion. She was more concern with Calden's feelings then this man and she thought for his sake leaving the alleyway was for the best. Clinging to his arm, Sabelle lead Calden out of the alley. She was beging to get a fuller picture of how he was Ny as well as Calden. That raw power was nothing her beloved has before. He was a jeweler. He could only at best trade blow for blow. During that horrible time that the red dragon had persued them it had been their wit that had kept them safe, though in the end all that had not been enough. He was Calden, but he was Ny, and all the awesome power of a young dragon was his birthright.

If he thought for a second that he wouldn't ever fight again after seeing what had happened, the thought was dismissed just as easily. No one would touch his beloved. The man wasn't dead, and for that, he was lucky. Calden had not known he would have Ny's full strength, and it would have been easy to have destroyed the creature of a man that had attacked them. Power surged through the human form of Calden Evanson and felt right. He was no bully, he would not terrorize others, for even as a dragon, he'd been gentle. But he would fight for what was his. And Sabelle was his.

He allowed himself to be led from the alley, glancing back now and then at the unconscious form. Right now, the biggest worry was that someone had heard the roar. He glanced at Sabelle, taking note of her odd expression before once more taking the lead.

"Come along, perhaps it is best we do find lodging. I suppose we can find something to eat there. I no longer wish to be out among the ruffians and the whores that seem to have sprung up in town." He was speaking in Ny's patterns, not Calden's. He was both, but it was clear who the more dominant was when it came to combat. Calden would give his life for Sabelle. Ny would fight for both their lives.