Threads of Fire

Taking the map, strangely at ease with the large dragon surrounding her, she put it away for the time being. "If you wish to rest here longer there are ways I can misdirect the people from the town," she told him as her hand found its way to his face. "They are not bad people, just misguided. I can do it in such a subtle way that even if they bring several priests with them they will not find us here."

At another time, in a different circumstance she might not have been so confident, but Sabella was completely at ease here with Ny. The spell that had kept her safe for all the ling centuries might have evaporated with time, but within her was the intent, and the cave had for so long mimicked her sorrow, that she knew the natural magic of the area would recognize her as part of this place and that because Ny had released her, he her protector. As she rubbed those soft scales she was impressed with how easy it would be.

"We both need time to make decisions, and those decisions do not need to be rushed. Will you let me do this for you, for us?" Sabella was being practical, but she knew that deep down she wanted the time just to be able to stay with Ny. Truly the ly thing she feared being with the dragon was the time when she would have to be parted.

At first, he wanted to tell her that they should be underway immediately. And yet... her touch was soothing, everything about her made him feel safe. He managed to agree before her petting carried him to slumber, his chin sinking to the ground.

He was walking down a sundappled road, his footsteps unusually clumsy. Nerves rattled him, and half of him wished to run away, to turn back. Something was clutched in his hand and he kept fearing that it would be covered with sweat by the time he reached her side.

She was down by the lake, her usual place for this time of day. Her hair was pushed back by a scarf and she was wearing one of the summer dresses the girls of the village seemed to favor. It was nice to see her in something other than robes for once. Walking down the incline, he approached from behind, wrapping his arms around her. The embrace lasted a long moment, and neither wanted to move. Eventually, though, she sighed softly.

"I was beginning to think you wouldn't make it."

"I'll always come for you, you know that. I had to go by my house and get your gift."

"A gift?" She sounded excited. "Is it more velum? I've almost gone through the pieces you brought me last time."

"This is better, so very much better." He opened his right hand, revealing the treasure within. The little bracelet shimmered in the evening sun, complimenting the colors she wore that day. It was the perfect moment for the reveal. He didn't expect her reaction, though.

"You... this is for me? You shouldn't have done this. It must have cost all you have. Love, I don't understand. Why would you ever risk your future for me?"

He chuckled. "If anything, I have assured my future. I'm now a jeweler, and I will have my mastery soon, and be able to provide for us." Taking her hand in his, he unclasped the bracelet, wrapping it round her wrist and fastening it. "You inspire me, so much so that I now have a future much better than what I would have."

"I... I don't know what to say. Thank you, Calden. Thank you so very much." She turned to him, and he saw her face, that same face he knew and loved. Sabelle.

Ny'v'thalnosan
awoke with a startled gasp, panic surging through his veins. No... it couldn't be. Something was very, very wrong.

Upon his agreement, Sabelle stod. It seemed that Ny was already starting to slumber again. She hoped he would be able to rest peacefully. Walking out to the cave she blinked a few times at the sun filled sky. After so long hidden from it rays, it felt like such a blessing to stand below the open sky.

Their safety though took priority over her reveling to the sun, so Sabelle picked a place to sit and let herself meld with the ground, the mountain, the whole range. She was a part of it and wanted nothing more then to nestle with it for a time, without any interruptions. Individually she called pon each aspect of the mountainous area, and was delighted at the exceptince she was given. By the time she was completed with ensuring her and Ny's safety in the cave she found more energized, not less. She gave her thanks to the spirits that inhabited the area, the good for their assistance and the malificiant for not interfering.

Delight filled Sabelle and she spun around with her arms out wide, her light red hair flying along with her robes and the sound of her bracelette accompany the song in her heart. It had been hard yesterday waking to this new world, and though she knew there were still struggles ahead, the sun would still shine, the rain would still quench the thirst of the land, the throat, and the heart, and she would still move on. This was her way of praying and give thanks to the creator.

With a smile on her lips and sorrowful tears in her eyes she knew life would continue for her as she headed into the cave to check on the dragon. That he was awake, and seemed very upset worried her. Had something escaped the protection of the mountain to bring them harm? She couldn't imagine anything other then "him" to be worried about. "What is the trouble?"

Ny knew not what had happened. He was confused by the fact that he had dreamed of Sabelle and had dreamed himself to be her lover. When she returned, he felt a surge of guilt and moved out of her way almost instinctively.

"It was... simply a bad dream." It has been a wonderful dream. If only it could have been true, that she could know such happiness. But then, she'd lost it all. He felt doubly guilty that his unconscious mind could ever hope to compare with someone she'd loved so much. He hunkered down again, this time as compact as he could. More than ever, he refused to look at her but to sneak peaks when he thought she wasn't looking. Vivid images tore around his mind. The sight of her smile, the sunset. These were accompanied by other sensory input: the smell of her hair, the feel of her skin on human hands... He shook his head, trying to clear the thoughts from his brain.

Sabelle looked at him in concern. That he had a bad dream could have explained what she first saw, but his reaction wasn't making sense to her. After a moment she resolved to make things better and so she walked over to him. There was no reason for him to avoid her, she was his friend after all!

"Ny, seeing you troubled so worries me. I would much rather have to deal with angry villagers once more then to see you as distressed as you are now. Please, talk to me. Share your concerns. No one should have to walk a path alone," with a soft gasp she covered her mouth with both hands. Again she caught herself echoing words from so long ago. What was with these slips? There was little chance even if he was not intimately familiar with human behavior that he missed her reaction and she wished that this had not been the time for words to turn traitor for her. All she had wanted to do was comfort him, why was it becoming so difficult to do such a simple thing? She had to keep trying though. "Please just tell me if I can do anything."

At her words, he flinched. It wasn't right! These memories were not his own. Perhaps they had been transferred when he'd broken the crystal. He looked at her in sorrow. Telling her would be nearly impossible, but he felt he needed to. She deserved the truth about his state of being.

"I've been having dreams. Dreams I believe are... about your Calden. Before you get excited, these are dreams of then, not now. I keep finding myself looking from his eyes. Seeing the world as though from his perspective. The last dream... you were there. You were next to water and he... took a place in the grass behind you and gifted you with the bracelet you wear. I do not know if this is stress or something from the crystal you were encased in, but somehow, I believe I'm experiencing his memories. I understand that this is wrong, that it should not happen, and I wish that it would not. I do not wish to hurt you. I would fight til the end of time to protect you, Sabelle. It hurts to be the potential cause of your pain."

His tail lashed with such violence that it send a cascade of dust floating to the ground. It was very clear that the dragon was in discomfort, and an uncomfortable dragon is a dangerous dragon.

What Ny said was so unexpected, that Sabelle found her hand atop the bracelette on the opposite arm, held against her chest. Though she was wide eyed with shock, she did not take a step back. In fact she took a step forward. She did not recognize the potential danger, not out of ego or pride, but through ignorance.

"I am the one that is sorry. You have never asked to mixed up in my sad tale, but I must admit I am boggled by why this is occurring. Calden is, was a great man, the best. He was not a Mage though. His only source of power was his heart and I know he would not wish to make another suffer." Though she wanted to comfort Ny. Wanted to let him know that she was okay. Wanted to find the answer to why he was seeing Calden's memories. No more words would form, for when she was reminded that he was gone the tears broke once more and she hung her head. "I... am... sorry..." she fought to get the words out.

He'd known she'd cry, and yet he was unprepared for it. The human capacity for tears was such an odd thing, something a dragon just couldn't understand. But he knew what she was feeling and found himself wishing he had some way to express his own feelings of sorrow at the sight. He gently pressed his muzzle to her cheek, being extra careful so as not to wound her. It was only because of the special nature of these scales, able to clamp down tighter to allow nothing between them at all, that he even dared do this. She shouldn't be harmed by this.

Her tears were warm against his scales and he reached out a paw as he lifted his face away from hers, pulling her close to his chest plates. His neck curved protectively around her and he uttered a soft, rumbling draconic murmur.

"By all that flies and all that falls, I will help you find happiness, Sabelle. I may not be able to bring back the happiness you had, but I will endeavor to create a world for you in which you can shine like the gem that you are." He paused a moment, then spoke words that came unbidden to his mouth. "I can understand why he loved you so. You are a rare and wonderful soul and you would make a fine dragon mage, were you only draconic in nature." Now why would he think something like that? He cleared his throat and continued.

"I've known you for such a short time. You are kind, and sweet, and I would fight a thousand armies for you to find your happiness again."

Try though she might, Sabelle could not stop the tears before they started. Calden was gone, and that knowledge hurt worse then any physical injury she had ever recieved. Each time she was reminded of the fact it was like when she first broke out of the crystal protection, and her memory raced back to before that moment, to when that dragonic monster attacked them, as her protections started to falter, and Calden stood between her and all danger.

The grief was hard to keep at bay, her memories and her guilt cascaded upon each other, but there was something else, a warmth. Sabelle did not realize it at first, but she soon felt protected. Fighting past the emotions, she realized while moments before Ny had been nuzzling her cheek, and now had drawn her close to him. She felt safe because he was trying to comfort her. His words she felt as well as heard as she pressed up against him, wanting to stay near him and the warmth of emotion it brought.

"I believe that you would if you had to," she told him in a slow, soft voice as she leaned against him. "That you would, it is a comfort, but I much rather see you fight for your own happiness." Sadly she sighed. "Once I've rested a little, I shall try to find the solution to this problem. You are a true friend, and it would be easy to find me at fault for these memories you are experiencing. It is no delusion, or any other sympathetic residue you are experiencing. Calden did indeed gift me with this bracelette at sunset. It was by the river, and it was the first time we spoke seriously of a future together. He wanted up together and ..." Sabelle paused, the emotions starting to swell again. "Forgive me, I miss him terribly."

"I understand. I am sure that he loved you greatly. I. I felt his love for you." Like it was my own... He rumbled softly again, still holding her close. He didn't wish to let go, to lose one moment of time with her. It was confusing and he blamed Calden's memories. But he found he couldn't blame Calden. However he'd gotten these memories, he felt a kinship with the man that he couldn't explain. Suddenly, her words caught up to him. Find a solution for the problem... His heart gave a lurch.

"Wait!" He sounded nearly panicked. It felt as though someone had said they would find a solution to his very soul, and he didn't like that thought at all. He knew she'd never hurt him, but at the same time, something about trying to find a way to remove the memories seemed very, very wrong. As though a fragment of Calden was somehow trapped within him. But how could he explain this without hurting her? It wasn't fair of him to keep this part of her beloved within him. It wasn't fair to, if this was some soul fragment, not let him move on. He felt a sudden illness and stepped back, pressing the scales of the left side of his face to the cool wall.

"I don't... believe that we should rush into finding a solution. This could be a soul fragment and I do not wish to damage it and risk your beloved's eternal self by being hasty. I promise that we will find a safe way--" even that made him feel ill,"-- and that I will keep this part of your beloved safe until we do."

Confussion was written all over Sabelle's face. Ny's sudden reaction at first did not make sense and even as he explained himself she was confussed. "Soul... fragment....?" She then shook her head fiercely. That somehow Ny was being haunted by Claden's memories she had been able to except, but that his soul was not whole, that was worse then death. Not only that but she cold not except it. Emotionally, theologically, it couldn't be, or so she felt as she finally stopped shaking her head and looked at the dragon.

"That you are confussed, that you are frightened, I understand," a small voice in her head told her she was the one confussed and afraid, but she ignored it and continued on. "Calden's soul was light and bright and would have no reason to struggle, to return to the Source." The voice inside continued to speak to her. It spoke of how Calden would not have hesitated on anything important and wold have turned his will to what was important, but upon death, with her at risk, would he have continued his journey? She tried to deny her inner voice, but the doubt would not be brushed away, no matter how adamant she spoke to Ny. Her eyes, that had looked upon the dragon harshly, quickly softened as she started to ring her hands together. No longer was talking with confidence, but instead was nearly pleading. "He wasn't so scarred by life, he should have chose peace. His soul can not be anything but one piece."

Ny winced, hunkering down into a pitiful looking ball. He would have wept if he were only able. He'd hurt her, she was arguing with him, and for some reason, these two things combined into incredibly remorse for the dragon. His scales flattened and he covered his head with his tail. She wasn't yelling, but she was upset. He'd done the unthinkable and hurt his lover. And then there were thoughts like that which intruded. He wondered if it was the fragment within him that was causing it.

There was only one thing to do. He'd heard of possessions before, how sometimes, when a good entity was possessing, it was best to just let them ride and fade into the background. If this was a soul fragment and was so desperate to be heard that it was altering his thoughts, perhaps he could do the same. For a time, perhaps he could let this fragment speak. He wasn't thinking clearly, but it was the only way out of this situation to his panicked mind. Desperately, he sought the back of his mind, attempting to slip from the waking world, to give what rested within his body a chance to speak, to comfort the one he had hurt, to right the situation.

He never anticipated what happened. He did not fade, could not retreat. The sudden influx of memories, tastes, sensations, feelings, passions, smells, sounds, and love slammed into the dragon. He staggered as though ill, thrown to his feet and very nearly crashing into Sabelle. His wings unfurled and he leapt into what should have been sky only to crash into the ceiling. Roaring in pain he could not feel, he stumbled, crashing to the ground and starting to shake. So many visions. So many things. Too much! TOO MUCH! SABELLE! HELP ME! It was a thought, a feeling, a desperate plea and nothing could change the fact that he didn't have the voice to shout it, for he was still screaming in roars that even failed draconic.

Calden. I'm Ny, I'm Ny'v'thalnosan I'M NY I'M CALDEN! CALDEN EVANSON AND I...

Behind the flood, behind the deluge of memories, a fainter one hovered. He looked at this, looked beyond the rest and remembered. A path. A walk through purifying white light. Being Calden and then being Ny, newhatched and tiny and... NO! It was fading! It was there, but there was so much else that he could no longer even find sense. Struck momentarily blind and deaf, the dragon slumped, unconsciousness finally taking hold.

Belatedly, Sabelle realized her selfishness. Ny was it seemed distraught by her words or perhaps her tone. This was not what she wanted. She only wished to establish the fact that Calden had been too strong to have fractured. If his soul was somewhere it was whole. She had not wished to accuse Ny of saying falsehoods, just that he had to be ignorant.

As she opened her mouth to apologize, the dragons whole body shifted, and he suddenly started walking though he did not seem to be looking where he was going, in a haphazard pattern. Sabelle looked up, wondering what was wrong. Had she somehow done something? In her concern she didn't realize he was coming in her direction until it would have been too late to flee. Fortunately he did not step on her. Instead he tried to fly, in the cave. The results were sadly not surprising.

Sabelle watched him crash into the rocky floor, his body shaking, his voice nearly deafening. It was a frightening sight to see and Sabelle covered her mouth with both hands. She stood there for only a moment though. There was a need, greater then she had consciously ever known before. She had to do something for him!

Desite the risk of him lashing out, despite how frightening the sounds he was making were she went to him and took from herself the bulk of her power. She had to calm him, she had to sooth this frenzie. She did not understand what was transpiring, but she had to help him, to tend to him, to protect him. With power wrapped in her hands she went went up to his face, and despite those sharp teeth put her hand to his muzzle.

"Shhhhh, dearest. Be at ease. Be at peace. I am here, and I will always be by your side. Calm. Relax." She poured not thought but the very feeling of comfort onto the dragon until he did not seem to fight any longer, but slip away. Only then did she release the spell. "I am sorry. I do not know what has transpired, but if I was the cause I hope you will forgive me when you waken."

Sitting, Sabelle closed her eyes and petted his muzzle. Time, even the cold of the floor, became meaningless.

Something was stroking the soft scales of his muzzle. Somehow, when he woke, it was to peace. Whatever had happened to cause his panic had faded, leaving him with a jumble of what seemed like far too many memories. Slowly, he opened his eyes. Sabelle was there, so close to him that her scent overwhelmed his senses. He twisted his mouth into a smile and spoke softly.

"How long have you been sitting here with me?" Quicksilver eyes fixed on her, tiredly avoiding her own eyes. He felt too relaxed and too tired to move more than his face and the tip of his tail, which twitched slowly back and forth. Oh, he was so happy she was still here. He could vaguely remember the panic and the pain that it had caused and was suddenly incredibly grateful that he hadn't crushed her. His tongue flicked out once, barely brushing her cheek to show his thanks for her friendship and loyalty.

"Mmm, awhile," she said after a thoughtful pause as she moved her hand back to her lap. She was glad to hear his voice, that he was awake and seemed clear minded once more. She then giggled in surprise as his tongue found her cheek. She touched the spot with one hand and smiled at him, a smile of adoration

The moment passed and her expression became more serious, but none the less caring. "Are you alright? Physically I mean. You bumped around quite a bit in the cave." There were other things to wonder about, but Sabelle wanted to be sure there were no serious injuries first. Then they could delve into the matter of what just transpired, but she wanted to be careful, less there was a repeat of the episode that just occurred.

Absently, as she looked upon him, she went back to caressing the soft scales of his muzzle, not just to comfort him, but the act of doing so comforting herself too. Sabelle was in great need for comfort, but she could not ask for that with the current situation. All she could there was be there with Ny and hope that together they cold make it through.

"I am uninjured aside from some bruising, as far as I can ascertain. I am just glad that I did not harm you." A sudden rumble echoed through the cavern and Ny sighed. "It seems, however, that I am rather famished. I cannot remember the last time I ate. It has been days and I must journey to hunt sometime soon. But not quite yet. I can easily go another day without food." He chuckled, nuzzling her hand. He found himself wishing more than ever that he was talented enough to polymorph his body so that he could give her a human style hug.

He watched as she touched her cheek, then his scales. Oh, how he wanted to hold her. To give her happiness. She deserved so much more than being stuck in a dull cave. "If you wish to journey somewhere, if there is a place that has even the smallest chance of making you smile or feel better, I shall carry you there." He paused, a sudden thought striking him. "I might even be able to stay by your side in the place itself. Do you know of the principles of shape change enough that you could use your magic to aid me in shifting forms?"

"There is no reason for you to go an extra day without food. This place is now much more secure then when you first came upon it and besides," she gave him a smirk, "us humans must take nourishment more regularly and I will have to hunt for my own food soon in any case." She was very glad he was not seriously injured and briefly placed her hands firmly under his jaw, bringing her cheek to his muzzle. It wasn't exactly a hug, but it was the sentiment of one for how she was sitting at the moment.

Peas he brought up taking her somewhere, one and only one thought sprung to mind, home! Rationally she knew it would be different. She could not expect to see friends, the town she knew would look utterly different, even the trees would have changed. Yet there was no where else she could think to go, and she yearned for even the faintest wiff of the familiar.

"I think that I might be able to. Would you really? Would you stay with me?" she hadn't meant to sound so desperate. She wouldn't have wanted him to be offer simply out of some feeling of guilt, but that he offered, how she wanted him with her. In fact the very thought of the opposite left an ache in her heart. "If we can, if you would, I would take you home. I.... I wish to go there with you, please."

Two days later, a well fed dragon and priestess set down a few miles north of a village, being sure to keep out of sight. As they set down, a flock of rather angry birds erupted from the trees ringing the area of touchdown. The clearing they found was hardly large enough for Ny, yet he insisted on pacing back and forth anyway. It was obvious that the thought of letting someone that deeply under his skin, so deeply to help him polymorph, was a nerve wracking thing for the dragon. While he trusted Sabelle, it was a sacred thing for a dragon and he felt almost as though he was cheating. But then, some things were more important than unspoken, under enforced rules. She needed him and he needed her, at least until they solved the problem of him having memories from her beloved.

Finally, he seemed to settle, crouching down. Somewhere in the near forest, a branch of deadwood cracked and fell, causing the dragon's head to snap about as he tried to spot any intruders. Satisfied that the two of them were the only sentient beings within at least a mile, he nodded to her before starting to breathe a ring of that magical, violet flame around the edges of the clearing. It didn't seem to burn anything it touched, merely appearing to adorn it as though it were ghost flame. Once the flames were in place, the dragon felt himself calming, feeling the magic of the place begin to flow up through him. It was the equivalent of a mage's circle, and he knew it necessary for a first time of such a difficult spell. Hopefully, repetitions would be easier.

"When you are ready, M'lady. I trust you to guide my body to a suitable form."

Flying was an interesting experience. Sabelle did not dislike it, but she had not decided if she liked it. After all it was not like she could really enjoy the view of the world below. It was though much faster then walking or riding. Once upon the solid ground she undid her braided hair, the blush like color flowing out for a bit as she ran her fingers through the strands.

The priestess then waited for her dragon companion to settle before she sat on the ground in front of him. Humming very softly she looked at Ny and willed her magical vision to go deeper then her eyes ever could. Her own job was going to be easy. She was to give him a bases and to guide him. The true work would be all him. It wasn't unlike what she had tried to do with him in the cave in regards to his hoard, but this time it was all internal. She now had a better idea of how much force dragon magic could put into even the simplest spells so this time she was going to emphasizes on the delicate nature of this spell. Polymorphing was not easy, but the trick about it was that once a form was established the mage could come back to it with more easy with repeated use.

Sabelle's voice continued to hum in her body, but her magic all but sang as it gently sank into the dragon, all but flirting with his own immense power as she tried to coax and guide him into the form of a human male. Not too tall, nor overly muscular, definitely on the the younger side, with the hands of a skilled artist-maker, and gentle eyes. All was near ready, all that was left to make the dragon form flow into this new human form. Sabelle did not think too hard on the form, she wanted to be sure Ny got this right, that he was able to marry into ths new form with ease and that her presence was hopefully going to superfluous. It was just as well she didn't think about the whole package of the familiar human form or her panic could cause both their undoing.

It was still odd to have someone else help him form magic. The coaxing touch of her magic was so soft and appealing that he took a fully thirty seconds just to feel it before beginning to embrace it. It was a struggle at first to understand what she was trying to help him do. Where he'd always felt it must be about forcing one's form into that of another, this seemed incredibly different.

It was more about speaking the form into being and just letting his body form within the spoken and woven space. It was a perfectly Ny sized space in existence. It just wasn't dragon shaped or sized. When the spell took, he had an instant of panic that it would hurt, that he would feel his bones popping and changing and where would his wings go? But then... then his body started to move and change. It was a strange sensation, not painful, almost numbing. It was as though he had a thick blanket protecting him from the changing as it acted. In a way, it was almost pleasant, like coming home to a place one never knew they missed.

It was because of the form's very familiarity that it was so easy to achieve. His body shrunk, twisted with light into the new human form. Hair! Hair was such a strange sensation! And now that he wore skin and not scales, he could feel the breeze more clearly. As he crouched on hands and knees in the moss and grass of the clearing, he marveled at the new perspective, standing a bit to fast and toppling to the ground before he could regain any sort of object permanency. This human body was resilient, though, and he laughed, his voice gentle and rich and warm. Grass green eyes had replaced quicksilver, a hint of tarnish grey in one. Long, red hair framed a face with a strong jaw and nose and soft mouth. His hands were calloused, a few burnscars on the back of them.

Rolling onto his stomach, he laughed more at the feeling of grass, then grinned up at Sabelle. "This is amazing!"