Threads of Fire

Sabelle stood straighter as the dragon commented that he thought she enchanted him. It was not very long ago she had been accused of being a witch and she found a retort on her lips, but she realized as he laid his head close to her that he was not accusing her of evil sorcery. In fact she wasn't positive what he meant at all. Her defensiveness faded in an instant, as though she had not been alarmed at all.

"They never got a chance to hurt me, do not worry," her voice much softer and her hands now loose at her side. "You were there before they had a chance." She started to reach a hand to touch him then stopped. "Though, I must ask, and please do not think I'm trying to pry into any secrets of magic dragons hold, but how did you catch me?" Then her eyes went even wider as something even more fundamental occurredto her. "Even before that though, how did you know I was in need of help?" She had not actually thought to send out a calling spell after all.

He moved slightly, pressing the softer scales to her hand like a cat wanting to be petted. He was still trying to come up with an answer to her first. rather baffling question when she asked the second. This only served to confuse him more and he blew out a long stream of warm air as he tried to work out what exactly was being asked.

"You called for me, did you not? I merely responded to your call. As for catching you, why should I not have been able to? M'lady, you may run fast, but you cannot outrun a dragon." He chuckled and closed his third eyelids over his eyes. He was gone again, but this time, there was no dance. This time, his memories were of a shopfront, of a display of jewelry. His eyes were on something inside, though, and he wouldn't be distracted by anything less. He stepped inside, moving to collect and pay for the item. He knew it was important, he'd save for it for months. But now, he'd -- It was gone. The spot the necklace normally sat was gone.

"Shopkeep? The necklace that was here? The silver one with the gold design..."

"Sold it last week, son."

"Can you make another?!"

"Fraid not. I only make one of a kind pieces. However, I could teach you. You'd have to pay, though. I don't take on apprentices for nothin'."

He sighed. He'd never have the money for something so extravagant after paying to become an apprentice. However, he might still have the money for something...

"Alright. When do we start?"

Sabelle stroked the scales, her fingers finding the texture new and inviting as her mind worked on other things. Had she called him? She didn't believe she had. She had been panicked and had wanted, well help, maybe she had and not realized it in the rush. It must have been a subconscious call. That was very startling, for she didn't like the notion that her magic was working in a wild matter, though in this case it had ended well. Absently she noticed a lid closed on his eyes as she continued to stroke the soft scales. It was very relaxing to do so.

There was still the second matter, though she almost loathed to bring it up. "I must have called. I think I was too surprised by everything in town to have remembered, but when I talked about catching me, I was not thinking about speed. Indeed, I was not the fastest among my peers. I had placed upon myself a spell of misdirection. I did not want to be captured after all, nor shot. How is it that you did not even need to slow to swoop me up?"

Her words snapped him out of his reverie and he made a face, trying to reconcile the images that had flashed behind his eyelids and find an answer for her at the same time. However, this proved impossible and he dismissed the former to deal with the latter. Even fully focused upon the problem at hand, he couldn't think of a satisfactory answer.

"Perhaps," he said finally, "it is because I am dragon and not human? Or perhaps it might be something to do with the aftereffects of my freeing you from your spell. I am unsure. I will endeavor to understand, though. The important thing is you are safe." He stood, shaking his scales and stretching. "We should leave soon, though. They might trek up this mountain to find us. I'm sure at least someone must have seen which way we flew." He didn't add the fact that they likely thought her dead and would be hunting only him, trying to kill the priestess eating dragon. No need to cause her any worry. Not that she's really going to worry about a silly dragon.

While his answers were within the realm of possibility, they didn't seem likely. As he said, the important thing was she was safe, but the question would still be there in the back of her mind. Wrapping her arms around herself she shook her head with a smirk. "They would very much regret that. I might have had a hard time deal with today, but that was do to surprise and a desire to escape and not attack. To try to attack me where I am sheltered they would find me far less forgiving."

While she had very much not wanted him to go out to the town and attack them, she wasn't intending to be a victim if anyone came looking for trouble, she was a priestess yes, but she was blessed with a great deal of arcane power and excellent instruction. "But I do need to move on. I do not know where you must head, but I think I'd very much like to go home." The look she had was meloncoly in nature. She knew it would not be the home she knew, but she hoped it would be a start.

"Are you sure that is wise, after what happened? The chances that your reception will be similar are rather steep. I would prefer to take you someplace safe." Never mind the fact that he didn't really know of anyplace safe, but with her there, he was determined to find a place. He certainly didn't wish her to have to run again, and he knew the next time that he would not be able to stop himself from defending her no matter the cost.

"At the very least, you should wear garments more suited to this time period. Perhaps it would--" He stopped, suddenly sniffing loudly. "The gold I gave you! You didn't lose it, did you?!" The dragon looked truly dismayed that part of his hoard might be unaccounted for. The fact that he had given it to her didn't matter, what mattered was that it was safe. He pressed his nose close to her, sniffing more, trying to find the scent of gold upon her.

Sabelle did not wish to be safe if it meant hidden away in a dragon's cave. She appreated the sentiment, but she needed to be able to live her life, no matter disjointed the world around her became. He was right about her cloths, but she wasn't sure what to do about that at the immediate moment.

"The gold? Yes, it's right here. What I didn't spend that is," she started to pat the place the pouch was hidden, the smile on her face couldn't have been wider if she tried. Was he actually trying to sniff out his treasure? It took a great deal of effort not to laugh at the large creature, but she managed. Slowly, perhaps a bit slower then was nessisary she withdrew the pouch and opened it. The sapphires of course were all still there, as was nearly all the gold and a few silvers now that had been her change. She then tilted her head. "You do realize that I will still need this, right? Just because my first attempt to get my life back on track was a failure doesn't mean I should hide myself in the hills forever." She then dug around and found the map she also purchased.

To say he looked relieved would have been an understatement. The dragon let out a large huff and practically shook upon seeing the treasure. He looked at it, then at her and nodded.

"Of course. I just don't want anyone who shouldn't have it to do so. It's important. The more gold, the more control someone has. It's the only way for those without talent to make a mark in the world, you see. Gold, gems, these things are equalizers. They can give even the most unfortunately untalented the power to hire those of talent, or give them the status to reach prominent positions of power. For dragons, a hoard is more than this, of course, but even humans realized the value of gems and metals.

"You see, the bigger a dragon's hoard, the more successful he must be to have gotten it. It is a way to prove that, even without fighting prowess or the ability to do magic, one is competent. It is a way to rise to a seat at the Dragon's Moot and, even better, be so successful that you need never attend. In fact, there are very few things of greater importance. To give over your wealth is to give a part of your power, and, as in magic, it is always very important to know where your power lies." By now, he had turned and was stalking into the depths of the cave. A hand lifted and indicated the relatively small pile of precious things.

"I have only begun to collect. Unlike some dragons, those of my kind tend not to rob humans outright, though some do employ trickery. Believe it or not, much of what I have comes from protecting humans from lesser threats. It is a profitable venture and something even a magical weakling like myself can do so long as there is no siege equipment to contend with. It is amazing just how much gold a human settlement will be willing to part with... But then, there are several humans that do not appreciate the aid and presence of a dragon, and enemies do appear and feel that the dragon is the bigger target than the town. So yes, that is how I've accumulated what I have. That and from winning duels in my youth. I was very careful in choosing my fights. I would only battle those I could triumph over or those I knew would best me honorably."

He began to weave the magical web around his hoard again, snorting softly at the concentration it took to do so.

"I will admit I have never been overly concerned with gold. It's useful of course, I do understand that, it's just as a priestess, and a young one besides, I did not really own that much or should." With a sigh she touched her bracelette. "This was my most prized possession, but even with it the monetary value was not what made it important to me."

"I shall be more mindful of the need for gold now I suppose. I have no one else to rely on and my old assumptions are useless for now." Sabelle still hoped she might be welcomed back into her Order, and even with all the changes in the world she would have those willing to help her as she helped them. Her fair share she knew she could provide easily, her arts she did not lose after all.

"And where will you go now Ny. You have not mentioned where you are going when you advised me not to return home." In all honesty she wasn't sure if they were soon to part ways again, though she did not want to. The thought of leaving him actually caused an ache to her heart, as though she was considering parting from someone dear to her.

He shook his head a bit, pulling the magical webbing tight. Glancing at her, he was struck with an odd sense of seeing an old friend after a long time away. This, coupled with the dreams and visions, created turmoil in his mind. Perhaps he had not been sleeping enough. He was forging a familiarity with her that bordered on the dangerous. Particularly if he was going mildly mad. But she needed him. He did not know why he thought that, but he had a pressing desire to feel that it was true.

"To be honest," he spoke, tearing his thoughts away from the worrisome, "I do not know where I am going. Once I see you safe and taken care of, I shall resume my search for a home. Should that fail, I suppose that I will have no chance but to apprentice and become servant to another dragon." He narrowed his eyes, unhappy with that thought. Independence and self reliance was a part of his people, a part of him particularly, and to give that up for protection would be a strong blow to his pride. Not to mention the fact that he would have to give up any prospect of a hoard to do so.

"Oh," she said simply. She had no notion of how dragon society worked and she was hesitant to ask too many questions, not for worry of sounding ignorant, but as being too nosey. Dragons were truly a mystery to her. Instead she chose to focus on the more purtanent part. "Then I suppose we need to decied where I am going."

Normally she was a patient person, but Ny seemed ready to leave already, but it would do them no good to do so without discussing where. Kneeling down she unfolded the map she had purchased and smoothed it onto the cave floor so she could see all the names and geographic features. It was her sincer hope that the map maker had been as good as his reputation in the town. A bad map could be worse then no map at all.

Looking up at the dragon she wished they were not rushed, for she wanted to spend more time in his company. Why, she wasn't certain, but she wanted to be with him none the less. It was a longing, there was no ther way to explained it.

Ny frowned and cursed in draconic as the magical net came unraveled, sending treasure everywhere. Slowly, carefully, he started to seek it out and move the scattered bits back to the pile. He nosed a few pieces, picking still others up in his teeth and trying to stay clear of her map.

"I would prevail upon your kindness if you have any safer way I might manage to transport my hoard. I find that I am having difficulty. I've yet to have rest enough to allow me to recharge what magical resources I do possess. However, you seem to be much more adept than I." He forced his face into a smile, trying his best to be charming. It was very akin to young men asking women to stitch their clothes or do their lessons for them on sheer compliment power and a winning smile, only this time, the smile was full of sharp, shiny teeth.

Thoughtfully she walked around her map and over to Ny's hoard. Holding out a hand in the direction of the treasure she half closed her eyes. Sabelle then turned and looked at Ny. "I think that your shielding is very confused and not grounded well," she said in examining the net's magical remains. Her interpretation being how she recognized the patterns. She didn't want to critizes but explain where he might be having difficulties.

"But if I were to try to move this and keep it together I would do something differently all together." Reaching over she took up to pieces of the hoard and released the merest whisper of magic. Looking at Ny she held the two pieces far apart, then dropped one of them. Instead of falling, the piece raced to the other piece. Holding the piece with two fingers she quickly moved it around, but the other piece didn't drop from its companion. "Like returns to like." Then she let go of the piece, as it started to fall she brought her hands out as though grasping something and the two pieces stopped in mid fall and then found their way to the middle of the imaginary space. "More attraction, not I am like to them."

Sabelle didn't think herself a good teacher, but she would do what she could if her demonstration wasn't initiative to Ny. demonstrations was her preferred form of teaching anyways and even enjoyed doing so in explanation of non magical discussions. Calden always seemed to encourage her to explain by showing, seeming to enjoy her demonstrations as much as she enjoyed doing so.

He watched her closely, trying to figure out just what she was doing. However, he found himself distracted from watching her by watching her. The demonstration was secondary to the sudden closeness he felt. He moved to her side, nearly treading on the map, only missing it by a few inches. He knew he should try to mimic what she was doing, though. As much as he wanted to feel her hands on his scales again, he needed to at least make some effort.

Turning, he concentrated on trying to charm the treasure into moving together. He was suddenly self conscious, glancing at her nervously with quicksilver eyes before looking once more at the treasure. He focused, the treasure starting to shake and slowly pull together. Perhaps he was a bit overzealous, for the magnetizing magic started to tug at everything gold or gem related in the room! His lack of control soon had the spell dragging anything of value toward it. It even went so far as to start prizing tiny crystals from the cave wall! And that wasn't all. The explosion of draconic magic dragged the map to the wood and debris in the packrat nest, sending it shooting across the room! But, far worse than anything, the cave started to shake, threatening to draw itself together, spirals of dust dragging toward one another.

"Ah! AAH!" He shook his head, trying to undo the spell, but by now, the dragon was in a panic, scales on end.

Sabelle realized there was a problem too late. At first it seemed he had the basics of the spell, but she was unprepared for the sheer volume of magic he brought forth. Sabelle might even had try to say something, but then she felt the spell drag her to the pile. This was most unexpected, though she should have thought about that before hand, he still considered the gold she had as his, but she felt nearly pinned, and when small crystals started being added from around she understood the problem, somewhat.

"Ny, Ny you need to tell it to stop," she yelled at him, ignoring the groaning of the cave. "Don't tie it up trying to stop it!" Quick action was needed and Sabelle closed her eyes and tried to be with the magic. "Just do what I do. Put your hand over mine and I'll guide you." There was in fact no hands involved, but the metaphor would work well enough if he would trust her enough to allow her to guide his magic this once. He had little time to make the decision.

Ny turned a circle, trying to command the spell to stop, but by now, it was more in control than he was. Desperate, he turned to Sabelle, letting her guide him. He hoped she would be able to help him before the cave collapsed. The sudden fear that he might lose her was overwhelming, for though he felt he could survive, he knew a fragile human would not.

He wasn't, however, in the state of mind for a metaphor and ended up actually putting his paw gently atop her, half so she could guide him, half to shield her from the flying crystals that were zipping to the pile more and more rapidly. For a moment, fear took over completely, freezing him there, unable to act. He couldn't lose her! Not now! Not again! In the flurry of panic and quartz, he didn't register his own thoughts or their importance, he just knew he had to save her.

"Sabelle, please, show me what to do!" Desperation, fear, hope, and something else, some loving longing, wove through his voice as he spoke.

Sabelle was surprised, but smiled at Ny softly despite the danger. Closing her eyes, completely confident in her safety she spoke. "See the energy, how you gave everything a spark and those sparks are multiplying? Do not try to snuff out the spark. Embrace it, command the sparks back into you."

As she spoke, her voice like a breeze, she sent her own power into the growing hoard, shepherding the energy that Ny had put into the spell back to him. The true work would have to be done by him, it was his spell, and for her to counteract another's spell that she was wrapped up not would have taken a lot more strength, with the spell powered by dragon magic she would need either more power or time then she had.

Opening her eyes once more, Sabelle looked at him, amazed at what she saw. Her was this mighty dragon, looking to her for assistance. She did not find it assured, just amazing. She honestly believed it was the amazement that filled her heart at the moment and made her smile so adoringly at him.

He nodded, looking back and forth with a last second of panic before following her guidance. At first, it was uncomfortable to do so, to shepherd the sparks back to himself. But once he had a few under control, the dragon's confidence grew, and his command grew. Within moments, he held the spell controlled. Smiling, he commanded it to simply hold what treasure he wished to stick together as it was. The walls stopped shaking, dust cleared, and the map rolled up, bouncing down the packrat nest. And, thankfully, Sabelle seemed safe. And... was she smiling at him?

Sighing, the dragon sat down heavily, taking his paw from atop the girl. For a moment, he simply groomed himself, much like an embarrassed cat, though cats do not often clean themselves with fire. When he was finished, he'd cleaned his chest and front legs so insistently that they shone softly in the dim fungal glow of the cave.

"Darling, I was so very worried that you would be harmed, that some piece of the ceiling or perhaps one of the crystals might impact you. I find myself overwhelmed with joy that you are not injured." Despite the manner of speech, the sympathy and adoration seemed clear. It was this that startled the dragon into genuine embarrassment, and he began to groom his claws. "Of course, if you hadn't been there, I might have brought the whole place down on myself and someone would have to rescue me from rocks."

It was odd seeing Ny brush himself with fire, and it took her a bit to realize that it must have been some sort of cleansing ritual. After having ones magic run amuck, it was understandable to the priestess for the need for ritual. Watching him, she sat on the ground, leaning against the treasure hoard like it was but a backrest of a chair.

Despite how serious things had been a moment ago, Sabelle couldn't help but laugh a bit at the near disaster everted, simply because she could imagine that having to be rescued from being burried under the ceiling would be more annoying then dangerous for him. As for the danger that had nearly befallen her, she didn't give it a thought, after all Ny had been there to protect her. "This was a good lesson for both of us. I'm sure there are surprises that still await me in regards to dragon magic, but now I know to be careful of the gusto should I ever show you another spell."

Sabella knew she couldn't sit on the ground for long, the cold already seeping into her body, but after her flight earlier and the surprise from the spell, she didn't want to be on her feet at the moment. For the moment she would stay content sitting. "You do now understand the spell, right?"

"I do," he said, moving closer to her and curling his tail around her again. He found he could not look away from her, that whenever he touched her, he felt she was meant to be with him. But that was silly. She was a human, a human out of time, no less. He snorted softly, then leaned down, pressing the softer scales near his eyes and ears against her again. He wanted her touch, needed to be near her, and he didn't understand why.

"I believe I have been overexerting myself. I've been having dreams that make no sense at all, sometimes when I merely close my eyes for a moment. It is disconcerting and I feel mildly disoriented when I wake." His eyes slid half shut as he spoke, and the dragon hunkered down. He moved only to retrieve the map and give it to her. He found himself hoping that his kindness would be rewarded, that she might tell him more of herself or pet him more. He'd never felt this way about a human, and at the moment, it seemed silly that he should so desire her continued closeness.

"You are very nice for a human."