Thomas's Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trail​
Thomas started to slow down a bit from his quick pace, and began to speak to the group as a whole again.
"Mirkeil has the right idea, the settlement, you may know, was once proudly governed by my ancestors. Look it up online, and they'll tell you that inclement weather caused enough damage to ruin the whole thing."

He turned back towards them, flashing them a grin before turning back, as his voice goes into full storytelling mode.

"So we're looking at an isolated, formerly self sufficient island settlement that has just gone through the misfortune of having the majority of their crops drowned. That's how the story begins. It ends with only my ancestors, and not even all of them, making it off. My family has passed down the stories, and..."

The treeline gave way on one side of the path, revealing a clear, rocky stream, complete with tiny black fish darting around the water, and insects darting across the surface.
"And we're very close. I'll stop rambling now before you all realize that after all these years I've finally gone completely mad."

He continued walking at the same pace for a few seconds, putting his hands in his pockets and not turning back.
"I'm certainly going to have plenty of time to tell scary stories later, as in, when we're actually at the location pertaining to the stories."

He turned back again, and spoke quickly.
"Luckily, I had enough time to clean out the cabin and stock it with provisions."

The moment he turned around, his face caught on a bramble, leaving a red scratch on his left cheek. He immediately brought a finger to the cheek, and found the cut, shaking his head for a moment.
"...Bad luck today, little things like that all day. Let's make haste towards the cabin before any insects take a liking to this scratch.

His hand brushed against an ancient tree riddled with holes where pegs meant for climbing once were. He looked up at the tops of the trees.
"This has been on my mind a little, how many of you believe in ghosts?"

Cabin​
One of the older lamps in the kitchen was flickering. Little else of note occurred.

It was a pretty rare occurrence, but the cabin unsettled Matt for reasons he couldn't put his finger on. "I've never seen such a place before." He said more to himself than to the other two. Matt admitting he never saw such a thing was quite rare as well, since he usually has something smart-ass to say.

"Boys, one of you go and make me some margarita. The other one massage my feet. I think I pulled a quad from all that running, come now. I'll reward you handsomely after your services." Michelle wasted no time in making herself at home. Matt chuckled, briefly running his eyes on her legs. He wanted to look around the cabin but the opportunity to mess with his twin was something he couldn't possibly pass.

"Well, Mishy. Have I told you I learned a little something about massages?" He put his backpack down near her chair and jerked his bangs away from his eyes. He leaned one knee where Mishy's legs were, hands at the ready. "Let me show you-"

Matt stopped when he noticed a shadow suddenly flicker. "Mitch, you jealous?" He was about to laugh it off when he noticed that Mitch looked aghast as he faced the kitchen. "Mitch...?"

Matt knew when to quit mocking his little brother. "Was it from there?" Matt asked him calmly. "It could be poor wiring, judging by how...old-ish this place is." Matt gave Mishy a grin. "Would you believe this guy?" He made a noise between a laugh and a scoff as he straightened up and patted Mitch. "I'll go peek."

Matt came closer and noticed nothing too strange about the cabin. It was just really unsettling. "Nothing wrong here, jeez. Just because Tom's into creepy stuff doesn't mean he'll chuck us into a creepy reality show. But that'll be hella funny."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Arabella walked with the group. The boy who was named Mirkeil spoke up as the group headed towards the cabin. "Kinda cool, isn't it? It would be fun to run around here, especially the abandoned buildings where the settlement was." Mirkeil was speaking to everyone, trying to make conversation she guessed. Dorian pipped up with a solid "Yes". Arabella wondered if Dorain shared Thomas' and Matt's interested in unconventional things. "I wonder how Matt and Mitch are, being suck with that one." Arabella's mind was pulled back by the sound of Thomas' voice. He was touching on the history of his families island. Out of the blue Thomas came out with a question. "This has been on my mind a little, how many of you believe in ghosts?"

Arabella chuckled at the thought. Her mother was unmistakably atheist, and turned her nose to anything religious or spiritual in nature. Her mother told her as a child that "Only the observable universe can give you answers, not shamans or a book. People get spooked and make up things to answer the unknown." Arabella realized how much she missed her mother, since it has been 6 months since she went on a research job out of the country. While remembering this little conversation her own thoughts came out her mouth. "I have never thought about ghosts. Is it anymore far fetched than believing in aliens? I am curious now." Though Arabella did not actual believe in aliens, she found herself being more and more interested in strange things, thanks to Thomas and Matt. With that thought she pulled out her phone. "Heading your way. Is the cabin nice?" She was now texting Matt. She figured Mitch was keeping a certain person busy. Why was he also so nice to that man eater? She could not understand anyone wanting to hang out with someone so rude and obnoxious but Thomas was also friends with her. She sighed out of pity for the group. She shifted her purse on her back since her luggage was kinda heavy. A girl needs her shoes.

Speaking of girls, Arabella took a glance at the only other girl on the trip. Her hair was very pretty, but other than that she seemed to be calm and collective, which Arabella liked. She weaved her way through the little group to get closer to the girl, but not seem like she was trying to. "Its nice to also meet the three of you." She looked at everyone. "So your Dorian, Mirkeil, and you are?" She nodded off to the corresponding people and was now looking at her. "If you don't mind me asking." Arabella was hoping she would not be uncomfortable being put in the spotlight like that.

"Oh?" Michelle arched a perfectly sculpted eyebrow towards Matt, feeling intrigued by his words. "And what could you possibly know about massages? Unless.." She leaned forward and whispered seductively in Matt's ear, grinning a little bit as she teased "You've already had experience. Perhaps massaging your twin? Givng him a happy ending?" The cheshire grin never left her lips as she leaned back and motioned for Matt to start, feeling a bit excited that her sore feet will have some relief.

Just when Matt was about to start the massage, Michelle saw something flicker that immediately made her tense up. She knew Thomas was a cult fanatic and lot of crazy stuff but he wouldn't dare use his knowledge to scare them right? She tried to laugh it off when she saw Mitch looking aghast and Matt trying to lighten the mood.

"J-Just ignore him, Matt. He's just trying to take you away from me" Michelle said, trying to keep herself composed. To be honest, she was feeling a bit spooked now. She's not used to such creepy and unsettling atmosphere. She tried to act tough by standing up and looking around, crossing her arms to hide her clammy hands. She's starting to feel odd about the cabin but she shrugged it off thinking that it was just her emotions muddling her logical thinking.

"Matt's right. Thomas wouldn't do that. He loves me" she said, trying to compose herself once more. She then looked at Mitch who seems really quiet at the moment and couldn't help but want to play with him. She kinda wants to piss him off just so he'll give her attention. Michelle walked towards Mitch and intertwined hr fingers with his, smiling sweetly at she began to tug and lead him towards the bar "How about we loosen up? You seem awfully tensed Mitch!" She then looked at Matt and gave him a smile as some sort of invitation, wanting him to join them as well. She din't want any of them feel out of place nor feel like they're fighting for attention. Besides, she wanted to treat them equally, so that there will be no fights.

Once at the bar, she went behind it and started mixing cocktails, moving her hips from side to side as if dancing to a beat only she can hear. She made sure to turn around and bend down really low when grabbing the bottles of liquor she needed. She then started working on the drink by mixing lemon vodka, peach schnapps and triple sec on a collin glass filled wifh ice cubes before adding grapefruit juice and orange juice, stirring it vigorously.

"I'll let you guys taste my special sweet blend~" Michelle said as she served them the drink, looking at both men in the eye and smiling seductively "its called.. Screw me sideways. Hope you enjoy~"

It was nice here.

Pretty, even.

The daylight filtered through trees and tall brush and dappled on the ground. It was cooler here so close to the ocean though the humidity had her shirt sticking to her back. Little nuisances, but nothing that could distract her from this strange little island as they made their way to the cabin.

It was not a difficult hike. Hike, may have been too strong a word for this nice walk up a gentle grade. She didn't mind this, the air was too thick for a real hike and this way she could really take in her surroundings.

Then, Mirkeil said something and she looked in his direction, giving a smile and a shrug before Thomas started talking about the island and it's history. He was vague about it and she found that rather amusing since he seemed to suggest that the story he was telling was scary. She found it rather dry.

He continued to prattle on as they walked, keeping the rest of them quiet and what she could only assume was polite attentiveness as he talked about his family's history on the island. Stopping and starting again before he paused in a more definite way at a tree, and then the ghost talk began. It was only a matter of time.

"You know what I think, Thomas." She said after the other girl in the party spoke up.

She would not have much time to dwell on what Thomas was up to before that other girl came toward her, talking briefly to the two boys and then to her.
She stared, listening, her gaze flickering past the girl to Thomas only briefly before returning. She was tall. Merkatie had not noticed this before, she was only a little shorter than she was.

"Merkatie." She replied and then added. "I know it's weird, you can just call me Katie if it's easier."

She shifted her weight from one leg to another hoping she wasn't about to put her foot in her mouth.

Reactions: koolkat4595
It didn't take much longer for them to reach the cabin, and once it was in sight, Thomas slowed his pace while looking back.
"Ands there it is! The Island house of the O'Reilly family. It was much more ominous a few days ago, believe me... dust and cobwebs everywhere, faulty lighting, a vast assortment of unpleasantries... It's a pretty interesting building, built right on top of the dusty carcass of an older one, I think it's cool, at least. I'm about eighty percent sure the former building was lived in by my old ancestors."

He stopped just short of the welcome mat, and addressed the group.
"In case any of you need it, there should be an extra key hidden under this mat here."

He took a single step in the direction of the door, opening it and stepping inside in a single precise movement. He spoke to his guests;
"Great news! Everybody I invited joined!"
He turned back and opened the door wide for the rest to come in. The fact that Michelle was in the middle of handing the twins an alcoholic beverage shook something in Thomas's gut, for... a few reasons. He chose to let it slide, hoping it wouldn't be the root of any problems.
"I'll give you some time to get acquainted with each other, and then we can discuss what I've got in store for the next few days. Oh, and if you come across a rusty old key, inform me, I've been looking for one... I lost it while tidying up."

He headed over to a couch, promptly sat down, and looked over his map, marking where he knew certain points of interest would be. He turned towards Mirkeil.

"Excuse me, Mirkeil, did you happen to read my first publication?"

Mirkeil never responded to the question about ghosts as they moved even more quickly to the cabin. He assumed they were in an enthused rush to get together for the fun, hence why Thomas bumbled into a branch and they sped up their gait. The short blonde boy assumed Thomas knew his feelings on the supernatural already. They had spent nights chatting about it long distance in the past.
Mirkeil practically skipped up the stairs once they reached the building. He squeezed through the door after a couple of the others and then blinked about the room, appreciating the architecture. he gave a whistle.
"Very cool."

He dropped his sportsbag near the foot of the stairs, happy to set it down. The weight had been starting to dig into his shoulder. Perhaps he should have packed even less. Mirkeil rubbed at his shoulder too distracted to be bothered by this minor discomfort.

When he heard his name he turned to face Thomas, taking a few strides toward him, though he couldn't help still glancing around the room. He shook his head at the question and gave a chuckle.
"I didn't know you had a first one...or it slipped my mind. Some things do," He rubbed his neck seeming almost embarrassed, "You don't happen to have a copy?"
Then his eyes lit up and he snapped his fingers. "Which reminds me, I brought you a gift."

Dorian entered last. He had been busy sulking at the rear of the group, listening to Thomas wax poetic from afar. Upon entering the cabin, however, even he had to perk up a little bit. It was pretty nice in there. Old, maybe. But spacious. And it had character. Despite its shortcomings, it was the sort of place he could get used to, at least for a week.

And apparently there was alcohol at this party, he realised, as he noticed a blonde girl with drink in hand. He hadn't taken it for that kind of party. Everyone here was far too young to be drinking, including himself. But, at the same time...

Before he could finish his train of thought, he was distracted by the short kid in front of him snapping his fingers. "Which reminds me, I brought you a gift," he heard the kid say to Thomas, and felt anxious all over again. He had gotten Thomas a gift himself, in a flurry of eagerness to make amends for the radio silence between them. Now, though, he had doubts. Knowing his luck, lately, Thomas probably wouldn't be impressed, or maybe someone else had even gotten him the same thing. That would be embarrassing.

He rubbed his neck and tried to distract himself from his exaggerated fears by checking out the hot people he hadn't met yet.

Arabella was thrilled to finally know Merkatie's name. Arabella had a bad habit of fangirling over interesting people. Her day to day life consisted of rubbing cheeks with old business men who probably needed to retire, but were too greed to let the next generation take over. There were hardly any people in her father's company worth getting lunch with, and the young guys just wanted a piece of her family fortune. That is why she liked hanging out with Thomas, Matt, and Mitch. They were tourniquets of fun and laughter. The group arrived at a well build cabin after a while. Arabella checked quickly for spiders. Though she knew that Thomas would have of course had the place aired out and cleaned before the get together, but she had to be sure. "Ah finally here! these bags are very heavy. Maybe Horus was right about packing light. Oh well that was my workout, now i get to have a drink." Arabella parked her giant luggage back where everyone else were leaving theirs, and made her way over to the bar.

The young boy, Mirkiel, mentioned to Thomas about having his gift. She was glad that at least one other person had brought something. Arabella usually got money, vacations, and other impersonal gifts from co-workers and her father. That is why Arabella made sure to get Thomas something personally from her. She couldn't wait to give it to him. With sorely visible smile on her face, she went to the bar to make herself a drink. Michelle was already there with the twins drinking. "Hey Mitch, Matt! Got here okay?" She gave them both hugs. "Man i could use a glass of wine right now" She walked towards to the storage of the bar, passing Michelle. "Oh hello Michelle" Arabella said kindly to her. It was important to keep some type of mature interaction with the woman, as being petty was not one of her strong suits. Seeing a brand she liked, Arabella proceed to pour her a deep glass.

• Thank You
Reactions: Banana-senpai
Merkatie had not brought Thomas anything and when Mirkeil had mentioned he had brought something, she wondered if this was a situation where being told not to bring anything actually meant that you definitely ought to bring something.
What did you get someone who had everything anyway? And, what did you bring someone you didn't know terribly well and had everything?

She found an empty place to stand and pocketed her hands so she wouldn't fuss about what she was doing with them.
Her gaze dragged it's way across the room and across the people who had already been in the cabin. They had apparently been mixing drinks, and this struck her as odd, though she caught herself in that thought. Why was it odd? People did that sort of thing all the time. She had done that sort of thing.
As the chubby blond boy rummaged through his pack she cleared her throat and jerked her head at Thomas to banish her thoughts.

"You published a story? Congrats." She said without as much enthusiasm as she had meant to have. "You gotta have a copy we can read."

Status
Not open for further replies.