This is what's wrong with the world today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schools told us my dad made "too much money" for us to qualify for free lunches, so we didn't GET lunch. In elementary school we "charged" lunches so often and built up a debt to the point where they finally refused to server us. An elementary school did this. middle school and high school was fine with letting us not eat, period. c__c
I had that issue in elementary school too. It lead to me bringing my own lunch to school. However the school system where I live HAS to feed you. It's pretty much the law here.

I'd like to say the system here is different in regard to food at school. But I remember the "Moderate" party deciding that all school lunches had to be payed for out of the blue where I live. Several of my friends who come from poor immigrant families no longer afforded to eat. We got "meal tickets" every weak, I remember giving most of mine away to my friends becouse I knew I could eat decently when I got home, something they could not.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Never seen it.

Read the plot. Should've put the gang members under with the Garand. It's all they're good for, target practice.
You should watch it. It's a good movie.

As for school lunches, most states make kids pay if they don't qualify for free lunch. The sad thing is, for kids that don't qualify for it and their parents can't afford to pack a lunch, the schools will call Social Services, who will make the suggestion of applying for assistance. The family doesn't qualify for assistance the pattern starts all over again. It's really stupid.

As for school lunches, most states make kids pay if they don't qualify for free lunch. The sad thing is, for kids that don't qualify for it and their parents can't afford to pack a lunch, the schools will call Social Services, who will make the suggestion of applying for assistance. The family doesn't qualify for assistance the pattern starts all over again. It's really stupid.
That's retarded to me because school lunches should be free for EVERYONE regardless of income. They just want an excuse to suck more money out of people. That shit needs to STOP!

That's retarded to me because school lunches should be free for EVERYONE regardless of income. They just want an excuse to suck more money out of people. That shit needs to STOP!
That's because mostly every state cuts funding for schools whenever budget times roll around. They can maintain and build new stadiums that aren't always needed, and they can give themselves raises, but they can't see to the needs of kids who might not be getting what they need at home. I'm not talking about just the poor. There are kids out there who have parents that don't give a damn if their kids eat healthy, or even eat at all. My former neighbors fed their kids nothing but Popsicles and soda, and then wondered why their 8 year old was 150lbs...... The only time they got any kind of actual food was when they went to school.

That's because mostly every state cuts funding for schools whenever budget times roll around. They can maintain and build new stadiums that aren't always needed, and they can give themselves raises, but they can't see to the needs of kids who might not be getting what they need at home. I'm not talking about just the poor. There are kids out there who have parents that don't give a damn if their kids eat healthy, or even eat at all. My former neighbors fed their kids nothing but Popsicles and soda, and then wondered why their 8 year old was 150lbs...... The only time they got any kind of actual food was when they went to school.
And that is ANOTHER thing that needs to change. Selfish fucking pigs! >:( Oh and those parents need a beatdown

And that is ANOTHER thing that needs to change. Selfish fucking pigs! >:( Oh and those parents need a beatdown
I agree. I like what Colorado did. They legalized marijuana and use most of the profits to go toward their schools. Not only does it cut down on crime and the number of people in jail for drug offenses, but do you really think they'll ever run out of money for education? If every state was smart they'd follow their example.

• Love
Reactions: SacredWarrior
I agree. I like what Colorado did. They legalized marijuana and use most of the profits to go toward their schools. Not only does it cut down on crime and the number of people in jail for drug offenses, but do you really think they'll ever run out of money for education? If every state was smart they'd follow their example.
Yeah exactly but people still get their panties in a bunch over weed (which needs to legalized) and the southern states are still stuck in the past with a hillbilly mindset so you already know THEY aren't smart at all.

Harassment. Public attacks of a personal nature and nasty comments directed at another member.
Why isn't food free for everyone all the time then? Oh right, it costs money.

Food service is attached but not directly affiliated with the school board they work alongside. How do I know? I FUCKING WORK THERE.

Free lunches are expensive. They're costing the school's loads of money that needs to go to actual education. Not only that, but what happens when school gets out? The parents think the schools should feed them then too. Over spring break some of our schools are open to feed the kids.

Yeah exactly but people still get their panties in a bunch over weed (which needs to legalized) and the southern states are still stuck in the past with a hillbilly mindset so you already know THEY aren't smart at all.

Nevermind. You'll just label everyone stupid or a hick.

Waste of time discussing with you it seems.

@Nydanna

Ok, so, like, I kind of hate to make this comparison, but, like, remember the time that Donald Trump tried to claim he was a hard-worker and that he started out with only a "small loan of a million dollars" and worked his way up from there? Basically implying that anyone could rise to his status if they worked hard enough, despite the baffled responses from everyone sitting at home in front of their TV or computer screens of "but what if you don't have a million dollars??"

I'm sorry, but that's what you sound like. Every time you mention what little you had, and the work you had to do to make that little amount work, all I can think is "but what if you don't have that little amount to start with?"

Particularly with statements like these,

I'd get $100's in gift cards, and out of that money I might have spent $1 on myself for a candy bar.
It's like, "but what if you aren't getting $100's in gift cards? What if you can't even save $1 for yourself?" You're talking about all these ways to make ends meet, but what if it just straight-up isn't possible for some people? Because they have even less than you had?

We laugh at Trump's "small loan" quote because A) he's calling a million dollars "small", when, to most of us, it most certainly is not, and B) he's acting as if his own experience gives him the tiniest speck of credibility when he says that he knows what it's like to work your way up from the bottom, even though many of us sitting at home know that the only reason he had the opportunity to become as rich as he did was because of how rich he was to start with. Maybe he did work hard and do impressive things with his money -- I don't know. Point is, he only had that opportunity to rise to his current rank because of how well-off he was to start. And if he didn't have that money to begin with? Then I highly doubt he'd ever become the public figure that he is today. And I'm sure that's what many of us think of when we hear that quote of his.

There are people out there who see those $100 gift cards and think of them as being just as "small" as the rest of us think of Trump's million-dollar loan as being "small". Sure, what you did might be impressive, but what if you didn't have that to begin with? Then you might not have been able to make quite so many ends meet, or been able to ensure that your kids had everything they needed. So no matter how well you did with the hand you were dealt, just remember that there are always people out there who were dealt a shittier hand than you. And saying that if they just "work harder", they can be as successful as you were? That's like Trump saying that the reason we here aren't all millionaires is because we simply aren't "working hard enough". But our obvious answer to that is -- we didn't have the same "small loan" that made all that "hard work" possible in the first place. And that's what makes his claim laughable at best and infuriating at worst.

Ordinarily I would hesitate to compare people to that monster of a man, and I'm certainly not trying to say that you're comparable to him in any way other than that one tiny thing he said -- but, I just felt it was important to put all this out there, to perhaps put things in perspective. Because, yeah... that's what you sound like, and it's all that could come to mind every time I read those parts of your posts. You might not have been super-fortunate, but there are always those who are less-fortunate than you -- and what was possible with "hard work" under your circumstances may not have been possible in any way at all for other people. And if that's the case, then I can most certainly see how people would resort to theft. I'm not trying to condone it, but I can definitely understand where they're coming from. And saying that it would've been preventable if they just "worked harder", is, well... I can only imagine how insulting it must sound to someone who's already doing absolutely everything they possibly can.

Why isn't food free for everyone all the time then? Oh right, it costs money.

Food service is attached but not directly affiliated with the school board they work alongside. How do I know? I FUCKING WORK THERE.
@Nydanna just described a good way on how to pay for school lunches. Like she said, other states need to follow suit and stop being prudes.

Nevermind. You'll just label everyone stupid or a hick.

Waste of time discussing with you it seems.
Don't be patronizing got it? It's not my fault if the southern states still hold onto religious traditionalism and some of the states (looking at you Alabama) are still trying to stop gay marriage. So I'm perfectly justified in my reasoning. Plus I live in Tennessee since you wanna use confirmation bias.

Harassment. Public attacks of a personal nature and nasty comments directed at another member.
@Nydanna just described a good way on how to pay for school lunches. Like she said, other states need to follow suit and stop being prudes.

Don't be patronizing got it? It's not my fault if the southern states still hold onto religious traditionalism and some of the states (looking at you Alabama) are still trying to stop gay marriage. So I'm perfectly justified in my reasoning. Plus I live in Tennessee since you wanna use confirmation bias.

It is no small wonder everyone groans and rolls their eyes when we see a thread you started.

There's a whole lot more that needs to happen before marijuana is legalized. Largest of all is the government admitting the war on drugs was a mistake and classifying pot as class 1 is ridiculous.

As for states, let them do their thing. Do the majority of Alabama voters not want gay marriage? That's fine. Democracy.

You're the one who stated the entire south was wrong. Not me.

Edit: Going a ways off topic it feels like. This is usually why I actively avoid getting into discussions. I don't articulate it well and come off sounding like Sacred most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disruptive Behavior. Arguing and hashing out drama in public.
It is no small wonder everyone groans and rolls their eyes when we see a thread you started.

There's a whole lot more that needs to happen before marijuana is legalized. Largest of all is the government admitting the war on drugs was a mistake and classifying pot as class 1 is ridiculous.

As for states, let them do their thing. Do the majority of Alabama voters not want gay marriage? That's fine. Democracy.

You're the one who stated the entire south was wrong. Not me.
You have no proof of this. YOU are the one who groans and rolls their eyes. Got an issue with the thread? Ignore it and don't post. Plain and simple. Last time I checked, you're not a moderator so don't make your feelings my responsibility. Flock off and stop being an ass. At least I don't sound patronizing while stating my opinions. Passionate maybe but not a patronizing pain. Plus I actually make sure to read properly before replying.

No shit Sherlock. The chances of the government doing that are probably zero percent for obvious reasons.

When it comes to things like gay marriage, the states should NOT be separate for obvious reasons and there's a reason why the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage across the country last year. If it were left up to the states, the southern states would not have legalized it which is why I said what I said about them.

And you're the one who used shitty confirmation bias as for why people should pay for school lunches when we already have to buy food to eat at home. Not me. See how your logic fails? If it can work against you, don't use it in the first place.

Ok, so, like, I kind of hate to make this comparison, but, like, remember the time that Donald Trump tried to claim he was a hard-worker and that he started out with only a "small loan of a million dollars" and worked his way up from there? Basically implying that anyone could rise to his status if they worked hard enough, despite the baffled responses from everyone sitting at home in front of their TV or computer screens of "but what if you don't have a million dollars??"
For starters, I never said everyone was lucky to have family that would help out during holidays and special occasions. Where in this entire thread did I say that? You think I had birthdays and Christmas every damn month? That's two times a year, compared to the other 10 months when I'd be lucky enough if we even managed to get enough together to pay our rent.

The minute that you put me in the same category with Trump, I lost any respect for anything you had to say, because there were only two words that I wanted to really say.

tumblr_n6fng8iIxX1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Nevermind.

Not worth the time arguing with a wall.

For starters, I never said everyone was lucky to have family that would help out during holidays and special occasions. Where in this entire thread did I say that? You think I had birthdays and Christmas every damn month? That's two times a year, compared to the other 10 months when I'd be lucky enough if we even managed to get enough together to pay our rent.

The minute that you put me in the same category with Trump, I lost any respect for anything you had to say, because there were only two words that I wanted to really say.
I did clarify that I in no way wanted to compare you to all the other things Trump is known for -- only that one comment of his.

Anyway, you never explicitly stated that everyone had that money, but you seemed to imply that everyone should be able to make ends meet if they just "work hard enough", citing numerous examples from your own life -- but the reason those arguments fell flat for me is because they all seemed to rely on you having some opportunity or privilege to begin with. And if you didn't have that, then, well, who knows what would've happened.

I never wanted to imply that you were a horrible person, and you're certainly no Donald Trump. I just wanted to explain why that part of your argument didn't really work, imo -- by comparing it to another argument that I think is flawed in pretty much the same way. It's just that the example argument is more obvious about its flaws.

Again, I was just comparing that one argument. The only reason I went for Trump was because it was a well-known quote that I thought would help illustrate my point -- again because of how ridiculous it is.

There've been times when I've used the anti-vaccine movement as an example in order to explain to people why correlation does not equal causation. That's not to say that I meant to place the people I explained it to in the same category as anti-vaccers. The people I had these conversations with were good people, they were just using arguments that I thought were flawed, and I wanted to explain why that was the case. And I knew that using a ridiculous example that they'd probably agree is ridiculous would make it easier to see why a certain argument fails. If I had picked an argument that was too easy to defend or wasn't so blatantly wrong, then I wouldn't have been able to get my point across as easily. That's the only reason I brought up Trump -- he makes for an easy target.

Sorry, I should've clarified that better. :/

Last edited:
This topic threatens my upper middle-class white male privilege.
But in all seriousness, this is a tragedy, but I feel inclined to side with the homeowner and their right to defend their property.

Status
Not open for further replies.