Things you WISHED you love but CAN'T because of STUPID reasons!

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
AKA an excuse for me to complain about the Howl's Moving Castle movie by Studio Ghibli.

Listen. The BOOK by Diana Wynne Jones is my absolute FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME. A friend sent it to me and I loved it so much I read it twice in one day and then proceeded to read it another three times that week. To this day it is still my favorite book and I can read it a thousand times.

So imagine my excitement and glee and joy that I was going to not only get to see it made into a movie, but it was also by Studio Ghibli who makes AWESOME movies!

And then I watched it and they changed key characters which altered things I loved about the original story and left out cool tidbits that also really made the story. >:[ I won't give any spoilers, but they changed important things. It's a different story. It's an INSPIRED BY Howl's Moving Castle retelling.

Now every time I see people happy about the Howl's Moving Castle Movie I go into a silent rage about it not being MY Howl. ;_; It was a good movie and as always Studio Ghibli made a banger. ...but it's not MY beautiful favorite bestest story. And thus... even though I want to love it, I cannot.

What is something you too wish you could LOVE but for some really dumb reason you CAN'T?

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Bubs
This was me with the movie adaptation of The Outsiders. Personally, I couldn't envision some of the actors as the character they played. In my head, there was already a picture painted.

100% agree with Howl's Moving Castle, the development of Howl and Sophie was extremely misplaced. Or not expanded on enough at all. The presence of some characters in the books I wish got more love than others. HUGE things were hinted at about Sophie in the movie that was fully explained in the books. It was one of the things, I wish they just followed through with and added in.

@Diana have you read the sequels/spin-off books of Howl's Moving Castle?

By all means Hannibal should have been tailor made to my tastes but I did not enjoy it. I couldn't even finish the entire show and I tried my hardest. :( I had to tap out in season 3 during the Red Dragon arc. I think I might have been more into it if it hadn't been hyped up so much before I watched it; I went in thinking it was going to be the Best Show Ever but found it slow, pretentious, and difficult to watch. Great acting, loved the artistry and cinematography, Hannigram is a fun ship but I didn't walk away from it particularly moved.

I HAVE! 8D I have all the books. They are not as beloved as the first one, but I really love Diana Wynne Jones' books in general, so they were still delightful.

• Love
Reactions: Bubs
Ugh. The Wonder Woman movie.

Look: there's no bigger WW fan than me. I've been reading her comics and watching the DC shows with her since I was a kid. I STAN Wonder Woman. So when I heard she was getting her own standalone movie and that the director was a fellow wOmAn, I was like YES. Do her justice!!! Don't make this a stupid chick flick!!!

Ok look, I'm not saying the movie was horrible. But it definitely disappointed me. I felt like too much focus was placed on Steve Trevor and his forgettable entourage. The romance was fine, but frankly, again: too much focus on it. I wanted to see much more of WW in action. WW in the comics is a brawler and a warrior, the best fighter of the DC heroes. So I was very disappointed by that wack villain fight with Ares at the end. I felt like they could have shown so much more of her abilities and her fighting capabilities, and instead they decided "nah, let's end this quick and get back to the LOVE story. That's what the audience wants."

Overall, the movie was decent I guess. But like the thread title says: I was salty for dumb reasons.

I HAVE! 8D I have all the books. They are not as beloved as the first one, but I really love Diana Wynne Jones' books in general, so they were still delightful.
I haven't got around to the next two, mostly because I'm scared it just won't have the same magic appeal. My goal is definitely to finish it off though! Feeling the need for the reread with the first book then following through. Personally, just love Howl and the sass. It's needed right now.

Ugh. The Wonder Woman movie.

Look: there's no bigger WW fan than me. I've been reading her comics and watching the DC shows with her since I was a kid. I STAN Wonder Woman. So when I heard she was getting her own standalone movie and that the director was a fellow wOmAn, I was like YES. Do her justice!!! Don't make this a stupid chick flick!!!

Ok look, I'm not saying the movie was horrible. But it definitely disappointed me. I felt like too much focus was placed on Steve Trevor and his forgettable entourage. The romance was fine, but frankly, again: too much focus on it. I wanted to see much more of WW in action. WW in the comics is a brawler and a warrior, the best fighter of the DC heroes. So I was very disappointed by that wack villain fight with Ares at the end. I felt like they could have shown so much more of her abilities and her fighting capabilities, and instead they decided "nah, let's end this quick and get back to the LOVE story. That's what the audience wants."

Overall, the movie was decent I guess. But like the thread title says: I was salty for dumb reasons.
I totally agree, found it sad because it gave the vibe of: "if we're to appeal to women, we shall make it a chick flick. chasing around the pov of beautiful men." WW felt like it lost a lot of substance and that was really annoying. So, for me. I didn't even bother watching the sequel. She's a Demi-God and it felt like they just shied so much away from who she is and what she is. It was like the moment she saw Steve, it was: omg this is the first man I've ever met. So, I'm going to love him and steer emotionally away from my mission.

I enjoyed their actress choice. But, they should have really looked into what WW is about. 100% agree with you. Kuno.

Breakfast at Tiffany's Novella that the movie is based off... I loved the movie and was horribly shocked when I read the book.

The first Scooby Doo Live action movie. Like it's mature and has some great and memorable quotes but that villain reveal has and always will make me go " Nope". What's funny is the video game is better because it has a different villain

Game of Thrones.

Best worst show that I hate to love and love to hate. It's weird because I still consider it my favorite show ever, and yet I can't bear to rewatch it anymore.

I'mma take a turn here. I freaking love dairy. I used to amaze my parents and their friends by requesting an ice cold glass of milk over soda as a kid. I was able to bond with my German SO's family over a shared love of cheese. Iced mochas, super frothy lattes, tall milkshakes and better-than-mc-flurrys were my weekends and date nights.

Then over the course of a month, I completely lost my ability to digest lactose - the sugar that is in milk and all dairy produce. If I so much as look at a glass of milk without taking tablets, I end up with horrific stomach cramps and a host of digestive issues. It's unusual for lactose intolerance to kick in during adulthood and so suddenly... but apparently it's one of those quirks that pops up every other generation of my mother's side of the family.

Edit://

Fun fact: Most cats are lactose intolerant, which is why you shouldn't give them milk.

You also shouldn't give them lactose free ice cream, no matter how much you think she'll like honeycomb, because that's my favorite too dad.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Kitti and Astaroth
I'mma take a turn here. I freaking love dairy. I used to amaze my parents and their friends by requesting an ice cold glass of milk over soda as a kid. I was able to bond with my German SO's family over a shared love of cheese. Iced mochas, super frothy lattes, tall milkshakes and better-than-mc-flurrys were my weekends and date nights.

Then over the course of a month, I completely lost my ability to digest lactose - the sugar that is in milk and all dairy produce. If I so much as look at a glass of milk without taking tablets, I end up with horrific stomach cramps and a host of digestive issues. It's unusual for lactose intolerance to kick in during adulthood and so suddenly... but apparently it's one of those quirks that pops up every other generation of my mother's side of the family.

Edit://

Fun fact: Most cats are lactose intolerant, which is why you shouldn't give them milk.

You also shouldn't give them lactose free ice cream, no matter how much you think she'll like honeycomb, because that's my favorite too dad.
Similarly, I really like the idea of eggs.
They're pretty cheap, healthy, you can obtain them in a way that's friendly to the chickens by raising your own even!

Oh but I'm allergic to eggwhite and didn't know it so now I can't bear the taste of egg even if it's just the yolk because I conditioned myself by accident.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Absinthe
The Star Wars sequel trilogy. They thoroughly enrage me. I hate Disney, I don't care for Jar Jar Abrams, and Rian Johnson can subvert the expectation of deez nuts. And the only good thing I got out of them was Kylo Ren because Adam Driver is such a praiseworthy lad (well, and BB8 because he's fuckin adorable). I envy those who can adore the whole movie series in its entirety, honestly. I ruined it for myself with my high expectations and geeky obsessions. It definitely is 'stupid reasons.'

Last edited:
Reactions: foodforpigs
Dry wine. Moscato or no-go for me. Wish I could be more in-depth but my taste buds do not allow the consumption of reds.

I nearly forgot the most important thing: cats and dogs. I wish I could love them and have them and hold them and pet them, but I'm allergic to the pet dander ( and while an allergy pill and some anti- allergen dog are fine), my body doesn't always take too kindly to them.

Oh and flowers. I would love to love flowers but I'm allergic to pollen.