Things You Find Tasty

• Thread starter Laggy Lagiacrus
  • Start date
L

Laggy Lagiacrus

Original poster
So, a restaurant me, my family and lots of other people ate at regularly, has had to close down. Why? Because that wasn't pork or beef or what-have-you.
They were serving dog.
It got me thinking, though - if dog tastes so good, what else does?
So, I ask you, Iwaku - what kind of things not normally seen on your nearby eating establishment's menu, do you like?
There is no wrong answer, what could be considered disgusting here may be a delicacy in another country.

http://www.iexaminer.org/editorial/cnn-its-wrong-eat-dogs/

Nick Wong
In China, people eat dogs. Yes, unfortunately, the stereotype of the Chinese eating, well…everything, is somewhat true even in the context of what we consider a household pet. Earlier this month, CNN published a video covering the dog meat market in Guangzhou, China. I cringed at the thought of my own family's black lab and Chesapeake mix being served on someone's dinner plate. However, in reading many CNN viewer comments referring to Chinese society as "barbaric," "backwards," and "uncivilized," I realized that my personal opinion, too, was based on a cultural perspective. After thinking about it objectively, I don't see anything wrong with eating dog meat. Now before readers start claiming animal cruelty or labeling me as an inhumane animal hater, hear me out.
First, China is not the only country to incorporate dog meat in their gastronomy, nor is eating dog distinct to Asian culture. In the times of the Aztecs and other tribal societies in the Americas, dog-eating was common, culturally accepted and exemplifies a historical precedence of the practice. The people of Switzerland have cured dog meat into jerkies and sausages, while in both Switzerland and Poland, dog lard has been reportedly used for medicinal purposes. Also, in times of severe depression or war, dogs were commonly eaten out of necessity in every part of the world.
But regardless if these customs are practiced in Asia, the Americas, Europe, or in times of need, it is the thought of consuming dog meat that troubles most Westerners. While I am unaccustomed to eating canines just as much as the next person in this country, I also began questioning from where that discomfort manifests.
Much of it largely resides in the level of adoration we place on domesticated animals. In a society that can sometimes treat animals more humanely than people, where there is a growing service industry of dog hotels and pet psychiatrics, it's no surprise the thought of eating dogs generates almost a comparable level of shock and disgust to cannibalism. But this reaction is largely due to the association of dogs as our companions, not because there is anything inherently wrong with the practice. If that was, in fact, the case, why don't we question all meats we consume?
In India, beef sales are banned throughout nearly the entire country due to the sacred reverence of the cow in Indian society. Therefore from an Indian perspective, the US American beef-heavy diet could be considered barbaric, perhaps even sacrilegious. Yet according to the US Department of Agriculture, we plow through 27.3 billion pounds of beef a year. What gives us the right to disregard the beliefs of another culture, yet disallow another nation from having that same right? Clearly then, it isn't necessarily that using dogs as meat is innately offensive, but rather, just offensive to us.
If it's an issue of humane treatment towards animals raised for consumption, the overcrowded and caged settings of the dogs shown in the news clip are just as, if not less, inhumane as America's own slaughterhouses for cattle, chicken and pigs. So maybe it's not so much that dog eating should be considered barbaric or uncivilized, but rather the way in which we treat animals that are raised for the purposes of consumption. If that were the case, the American meat industry could take a lesson or two in humane animal treatment as well.
Of course people still hold the right to enjoy the company of domesticated animals like dogs, but we should do it in a manner without imposing our beliefs onto the rest of the world or denigrating another society just because it doesn't live in accordance to our norms. Allegedly, none of the dogs featured in the news bit were household pets, so beyond our own cultural dispositions towards this particular animal, what's the problem?

LOL WESTERN CULTURAL NORMS R SHOWIN'

Says the westernized and americanized Asian.

I'll try almost anything once or twice. Nothing too strange, really. Tripe in burritos and soup, headcheese, blood sausage, live scallops, sea urchin. Those are among the 'different' foods I've tried. Not really all that weird.

I would try dog or cat. Just to say I did.

Actually, in my discussions with some americans it's very interesting to hear that they have a strong aversion to seafood. Lobsters being 'gigantic sea bugs' and all that, crabs, fish, squids, etc, etc.

I've eaten lots of things. My family is German and my grandfather makes a tantalizing rabbit stew.
My step-grandfather is from the south and has cooked both squirrel and turtle for us. As much as the American in me cringes at the thought of eating dogs, I can recognize that it's because my family, like many others, treats the animal as part of the household.

It would be the same for us if our culture had commonly taken to keeping pigs as household pets instead of dogs - bacon wouldn't seem so appetizing to people, I'm sure.

Squid.
I shouldn't have eaten it.
My parents tricked me!!!
I feel bad...
poor Squidward.

I can't think of anything really strange that I've eaten... >< I guess the strangest to ME would be the gator.

I love Koori's article though. XD

I'd prolly try just about every animal at least once... EXCEPT CAT. t_____t I couldn't eat a cat. I love cats too much, I would cry.

Whale-meat.

....Sometimes I like raw stuff...

I kind of like raw pancakes x. x or raw rice...

I like a wide variety of food and likely would try just about anything. I don't know what the weirdest thing I've eaten was, but I must say salmon roe is intense. It's like the taste of a whole salmon in a little pearl. I still don't know if I like it or not, but it was intense!

Salmon intense? Hmm, I don't know if I should try it. What does it taste like?

Like they put a king salmon's flavor in a pearl! Aaaaaaaal the flavor, in one tiny power punch!

Salmon roe? It's just a small, tense, salty fluid filled sack.

Eww, Unanuny! 'Filled Sack' sounds like something I would probably puke.

Now you're just being picky. It's no different the a grape!

It makes it better if I think of a grape. Yum. I am not picky....well maybe a bit but still. I am going to try the Salmon when I have the chance. Hopefully I won't die from nasty taste