3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
I would like to preface this list of alternatives to the word 'said' by pointing out that 'said' is a perfectly useable word. It notes that a thing was spoken without pausing or disrupting the sentence, and there is nothing wrong with using 'said' as a go-to. The problem only arises when you need a more specific or attention-drawing word, and using the unobtrusive, quickly-read 'said' fails to provide necessary tone, as in the scene below.
"We need to get out of here" Aaron said, pointing at the shaking ceiling

"I know" Sarah said "But how do we do that when the door is blocked?"
The door was indeed blocked; heavy parts of the roof had already fallen down and jammed their only exit "Okay", Aaron said "That is a setback"

You see how that was weirdly monotonous to read?

Let's try it as...

"We need to get out of here" Aaron cried, pointing at the shaking ceiling
"I know" Sarah agreed, "But how do we do that when the door is blocked?"

The door was indeed blocked; heavy parts of the roof had already fallen down and jammed their only exit "Okay", Aaron admitted, "That is a setback"
Acknowledged
Added
Admitted
Advised
Agreed
Announced
Answered
Approved
Argued
Assumed
Assured
Asked
Babbled
Bargained
Began
Bellowed
Boasted
Bragged
Called
Claimed
Commanded
Commented
Complained
Cried
Decided
Demanded
Denied
Described
Dictated
Emphasized
Estimated
Exclaimed
Explained
Expressed
Feared
Giggled
Grinned
Grunted
Indicated
Insisted
Instructed
Laughed
Lectured
Lied
Mentioned
Moaned
Mumbled
Murmured
Nagged
Noted
Notified
Objected
Observed
Ordered
Pleaded
Pointed out
Prayed
Predicted
Questioned
Reassured
Related
Repeated
Replied
Responded
Requested
Restated
Revealed
Roared
Ruled
Scolded
Screamed
Shouted
Shrieked
Snapped
Sneered
Sobbed
Spoke
Sputtered
Stammered
Stated
Stormed
Suggested
Taunted
Thought
Told
Urged
Uttered
Vowed
Wailed
Warned
Whispered
Yelled

Last edited:
I think there's a list of 500 words out there, can't remember where it was.

I enjoy seeing more than just "said" as a dialogue marker as the next person, but it's the most used marker for a reason. It is used so much that our eyes skip over it and continue with the rest of the story without interruption whereas using multiple markers halt the flow and force us to focus on it instead.

Also, you're going to get some knuckleheads who will replace "said" entirely and their dialogue becomes this:

"Don't leave me!" she screamed.
"I have to," he whispered.
"Why?" she begged.
"Because," he muttered.

And so on. Hopefully with more words. The markers force you to acknowledge and focus on them. The best alternative to "said," in my experience, is to use an action. Here is the same rather terrible example using actions to mark the end of the dialogue:

"Don't leave me!" She clutched his jacket sleeve in a desperate hysteria. Fingers white around his arm, she refused to tear herself away from him. She couldn't let him leave.
"I have to." He clenched his eyes shut and looked away. Her claws dug uncomfortably into his wrist.
"Why?" Tears streamed down her cheeks, smearing artfully done makeup. She shuddered as she wiped away the wetness from her eyes with her other hand.
"Because." Without glancing towards her, he wrenched his arm out of her grasp. His coat fluttered from behind him and he ignored the tightening in his chest as he slammed the door shut behind him.

With this (also quite bad) example, you get a better feeling for the characters' emotions without slogging through the dialogue markers.

Something people don't realize in writing: characters can talk and do things at the same time.

Just food for thought.

Also, remember that sometimes you don't have to use anything like 'said'; you can simply let the dialogue flow without any outside descriptions and use them only when they change tone of the scene somehow.
"You're such a fool." and "You're such a fool," she teased lightly, create two very different mental pictures.

Also, remember that sometimes you don't have to use anything like 'said'; you can simply let the dialogue flow without any outside descriptions and use them only when they change tone of the scene somehow.
"You're such a fool." and "You're such a fool," she teased lightly, create two very different mental pictures.
Yes! If context has already been set up, we can fill in the said/teased/shouted/etc blank ourselves!

Nothing works like a good balance, is - I believe - what everyone is trying to say.

Some time ago, I was reading TV Tropes' 'Said Bookism' page, and they considered Said Bookisms -- going out of your way to avoid using the word 'said' -- to be a Discredited Trope. In some cases, the words used to avoid using 'said' were considered violations of the Show Don't Tell guideline.

In any case, I think it's okay to use 'said' every now and then, as long as you have a few other words to use in that place as well. Sometimes different words can help with the tone of a scene and establish the character's tone, and sometimes it's just to avoid being overly repetitive.

he's+right+you+know.jpg

Also, you missed the greatest alternative of all for hammy characters:

BELLOWED!

Added it in!

• Thank You
Reactions: Random
Status
Not open for further replies.