Status
Not open for further replies.
Co-post with @Dovahkiin

"I also remember you owe me a ring."

The same low voice came from behind her, and she turned her head enough to shoot Nuit a half-grin, half-glare. "I've got no idea what you're talking about," Keevah replied, her expression a wordless warning for him to silence himself, though mischief still glinted in her eyes. The memory replayed itself seemingly on its own volition: sneaking into the woman's pristine house, Keevah's bobby pin slipping through the floorboards with a muttered curse, and the duo's mad dash for the nearest exit, scurrying out of a window faster than a couple of cats who were caught in the cream. Unable to hold her serious demeanor, she broke into a devious smile. With a shake of her head, she turned away from her old friend, but her grin melted when Jeanna approached Nuit with a demand for an apology. Oh no, oh no, oh no oh no oh no. She bit on the inside of her cheek and swiped up her goblet, peering between the two as she attempted to take a sip. It was empty. Her eyes latched onto Nuit, and they bore a silent plea. Please, for the love of all that's holy, don't start a fight.

She should have anticipated his snappy remark, but what she truly could not have foreseen was Jeanna's willingness to move on from the confrontation after a child servant had delivered her news. It was an admirable quality. Keevah's gaze lingered on the boy servant a moment, and a tinge of sorrow softened her features. He seemed too young to be invested in the court, his timid nature almost bizarre in a place filled with drinking nobles. Like a lamb among wolves, she thought, then, brows furrowing, forced her attention to the table. There wasn't a point in getting worked up over it -- for all she knew, child servants could have been common in Gyrus. Still, she wondered how the boy got here.

"Oi! Come here. I wanna see Benedict's new thief and the pretty lass," bellowed a man with mead in hand.

She shot a look to Nuit as she stood, beginning to make her way over to the red-faced mead-holder. "He seems the jolly sort," she remarked, casting her old friend a glance.

Impressive, so the woman did know how to swallow down her own words like a bitter pill. If anyone could see his face, they may have noticed the eye raise. People like that tend to rub him the wrong. Perhaps because it all came to the question, why people thought they were special.

They come straight out of the womb. Birthed red and with so much meaning. Even when your five your taught very clearly, there's some meaning to your life somehow. Someway, there is a meaning. And the things that surrounded you were a miracle.

People tended to always believe they were the main characters in the story. Forgetting that everyone else too saw themselves as their own main characters in their story. And him, he opt to burn the whole entire book.

He opt to not play a part in it. Perhaps he was an obstacle. A brick wall. Maybe he was a question, that they had no answer to. Not a villain. Not a hero. But an obstacle nonetheless. He would have pulled more attention to Keevah, when one of the nobles called them over.

He knew them, maybe not personally, but names always slipped through the cracks of the court. Like children passing notes through the slits of door. Aapo and Udolf, and from the looks of it Aapo was already shit faced. While Udolf pleaded with the man that enough was enough.

Though he wondered if Aapo knew how loud he was being, when he made comments about him being a thief. Silly man. He was not a thief. He was a blade. He was the reaper's scythe.

He turned to Keeva, there was a smirk that played on his face, he leaned in so those two could not hear, "Want to play a game? Want to try and get away with stealing something from his pockets while he pissing wasted?" he practically chuckled in her ear. While leaning more up and addressing the men.

"Steal," Nuit addressed Aapo, "I assure you sir. Everything I own is borrowed. Call it, renting it before buying it." he chuckled with a smile. While grabbing another glass of wine, "To what do we owe the address."

Just as Selia opened her mouth to reply to Coby that she was hardly helpless, a servant (from what she could tell) approached them with news of a summons from Sir Jackal. Her brow furrowed. The name sounded familiar, but she couldn't quite place its origin. Glancing at Coby with a shrug, she stood from the table and followed the boy's general direction. She assumed that "Sir Jackal" meant the man sitting off by himself, as it seemed quite unlikely any of the pompous noblemen stuck in their own conversations would call on their ragtag group.

She assumed Coby was following along, and she walked with confidence. The temporary lapse in awareness had hurt her pride greatly; she still had much to learn about the Sight. Without a proper teacher, she was--quite literally--fumbling in the dark when presented with something new. This entire situation was quite "new" indeed. When she finally reached the man, Selia noticed there was a strange look about him. With the Sight, one could sometimes tell a little bit about a person just by looking at them, but you had to know how to interpret what you saw. She didn't know what she was seeing, but it was certain this "Sir Jackal" was no ordinary fellow--certainly not one of the pretentious nobles.

"You called?" she said confidently, hoping that she wasn't mistaken about this man being Jackal. That would hurt her pride all the more. When she noticed the familiar form of one of her companions, though, Selia knew she had chosen right. With just the slightest sigh of relief, she took a seat once more, grabbing food to eat with less hesitation than before. She just had to get used to her surroundings, and she was succeeding.

"Selia Mallory is the name. Is your name really Jackal or is that a title?" Her curiousity would almost always kill the cat.

Some nourishment may not be a bad idea, agreeing with one of the other more plain looking individuals of the new group. At some point later on if the king deems us all worthy for this mission I'll start remembering their names. However, just as Udolf finishes eating a single grape he hears a voice call his name, looking over to his left to see Udo and then Aapo as well along with other knights. Actually cracking a soft smile at such familiar faces. Henry Udolf did personally know the two as was evident from Aapo's comment a moment ago. Being a knight of the kingdom of course but also that the two have known of Henry ever sense he was a knight in training at a young age in addition to his whole family producing many knights so visits and conversations of the like were not all that uncommon.

With Aapo's joke towards Udo, Henry let loose a small chuckle of his own along with the laughter of the other knights as he made his way over a took a seat with them all. Looking to Aapo as he spoke in a more relaxed tone. "No I am not fancy enough to do so. Though I believe if such a man of glimmer existed...well...he wouldn't be a "man" anymore would he? Henry raising his now half filled goblet towards Aapo with a toast to the knights about the table reviling in laughter at the joke before drinking a long sip of the wine. Putting the cup down as he looked to Udo with an understanding nod of Aapo's usual drinking habit as well as his views on things at hand.

Then Sir Henry's expression of grief would match Udo's as Aapo would mention over two members of his new party after realizing that one of them was that trouble maker. Upon the knights laughing heartily once again at Aapo's words he turned to the two other members of his party to see them exchanging whispers that he couldn't hear but based on them already being seen as trouble it couldn't be anything good. Then as the man continued his sly remarks about how his stealing was borrowing only fueled such biases. But he got an idea, perking his head up with a smile, addressing basically all at the table while pointing his thumb back over his shoulder towards Nuit. "Aye, that's right everyone. This one borrows a lot and do you think Sir Benedict would waste his time on some common thief? Finishing his drink before resting his arms upon the table once again and speaking again still in a relaxed tone. "Best watch him closely."

Turning back to Udo after assembling a small plate of whatever food was about that hasn't already been claimed. "In other matters, I hope most other things have been alright on your end commander Udo." He says before beginning to take bites of food here and there.

Last edited:
[BCOLOR=transparent]Nuit's brow twitched. How daft did these people have to be, to know he was not a thief? Sure, he'd play along with the story. But to be fair, a good thief would never been seen. Just like a good assassin would never been seen. Nuit was seen when he wanted to be seen. He was hidden when he wanted to be hidden. He gave his companion his attention though.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent] "Aye, that's right everyone. This one borrows a lot and do you think Sir Benedict would waste his time on some common thief?[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Nuit gave a small chuckle.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Well yes I borrow a lot, I regret to inform you calling me a mere common thief is an insult to most thieves. Call me a low budget thief, because a real common thief would not boast about their escapades," Nuit responded, "I am not a trouble maker. Far from it. I simply make fun where there is none. A trickster so to speak."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Nuit paused, and played with the rim of the wine goblet for a moment. Allowing his right hand fingers to go around in a circle.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I am who you want me to be," Nuit responded.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It was better this way though. For them to underestimate him. Though there was an inch of him, that was cold blooded enough to envision his companion choking on their own blood. It wasn't a pleasant thought. It was not a fearful thought. It was merely how he envisioned an end. To choke on one's own words. This team seemed to have the problem he saw with a lot of teams.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Knights and the like who thought themselves better than the others. He hated the type. If Benedict had told him the personality of these companions, he might have been less inclined to join. Everyone spoke like someone had put them on strings. Everyone spoke like they did not enjoy an ounce of life no matter the dramatic tension in the air.,[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Aapo was the only thing cheerful about this place. And if cheerful meant, fat and drunk. Then that's what cheerful meant. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]It sickened him to no end. He had been the target and ire of these two since he spoke. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He finished his glass of wine, and had a small smirk on his face.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Say Aapo, good sir knight, how about we have a little game?" Nuit asked, "A drinking one."[/BCOLOR]

The summons was not entirely unexpected. There was always a summons. The who it was and when it eventually came was what was different. Coby purses their lips from behind their mask, holding onto a particularly gooey chunk of fruit between leather covered fingers and inspecting it closely. They bounce it up and down as they talk within their head, No, Coby. Don't go. Eat more of our sweet deliciousness. They hold up a split grape and begin to wriggle it like a flapping mouth, But Coby, he looks so interesting. He could have the best Words for you to hear. Not like over here. And look. Selia is getting up and leaving. Coby looses a brief awkward squawk as their internal dialogue switches back over to the fruit goop and they look over, Oh no, Selia is going. Yup. Time to go.

Coby drops the fruit and pushes themselves up, fingers sticky and trying to wipe them clean as they go to scurry after Selia. That is, until remembering something quite vital and scurrying back to retrieve it. Their pace slows as they start to pass by Nuit, Henry and Keevah. Coby stops altogether and begins to listen intently, eyes darting back and forth as if watching a match of birdie before they raise their hands and rest their head upon them lazily.

They knew words like Henry's. They were usually words cut short by poison, blade and foolhardy pipedreams of glory, greed and ambition. Yet, were the words of Nuit so different. Their gaze glosses over the other assassin and behind their mask a smile curls. They knew people like him in Vulgo. Most of them angry youth who fell to the life to strike out against the world... They usually found their death too. A bored expression begins to glaze across Coby's eyes at their Words. The sort that had been being spat since Benedict had left their side and had only grown more barbed. With a harsh tone to their voice, or as much as they could manage with the ages of disuse, Coby pipes up, "Watching," to remind them where they were, what the point of this all was. They nods toward the king and nobles. Towards the people of power all around this room that would be scrutinizing them all within this room, who even if they were not the ones they were trying to win the approval of, they likely had influence of the King and therefor the overall say upon their acceptance as a team.

They snort before moving to depart and on to more important things, like their emergency induction port. Coby plucks from the goblet at their previous seat the reed straw and taps the droplets off of it before looking down the table at the nobles, curiosity beginning to burn that they were still so fiercely locked in conversation. Glancing back, Selia appeared to be making it well enough, and Jackal appeared to have a small gathering already. They would be fine without Coby for a little bit. Attempting to not make much of a scene with their emerging presence, Coby moves to try and gain a position to overhear just what was going on.

Plucking another glass of wine from a passing servant, Keevah's eyes skimmed over Aapo and his knights from the rim of her goblet as she took a sip. The merriness was a familiar sight and, in some sense, comforting. The knights reminded her of the mercenaries she'd seen chugging tankards of ale and exchanging lewd jokes in taverns back in the Western Vulgo, her home -- apart from the overall higher moral integrity and shiny armor. Amongst them, she recognized a face from the group she traveled with. Sir Henry Udolf, Keevah recalled. He carried himself like the knight he was, with a practiced demeanor of authority and strength. Seeing so many trained knights in one area was almost intimidating. She stole another drink of her wine, reminding herself to stay on her best behavior, before Nuit spoke.

"Well yes I borrow a lot, I regret to inform you calling me a mere common thief is an insult to most thieves. Call me a low budget thief, because a real common thief would not boast about their escapades. I am not a trouble maker. Far from it. I simply make fun where there is none. A trickster so to speak."

Keevah quirked a brow. Frankly, she had to disagree on one thing -- he was a bit of a troublemaker. Of course, so was she, especially given her past steeped in devious antics with the assassin. Was he a nuisance? No, not necessarily. But was he wily? Absolutely. He was her companion all the same, and Keevah bit back a rebuttal.

"Say Aapo, good sir knight, how about we have a little game?" Nuit asked, "A drinking one."

Keevah nearly choked on her wine. Madman. Lifting a hand and placing it on Nuit's shoulder, she gave a squeeze. She couldn't get words out before she heard a single word grumbled from nearby: "Watching." With that reminder and a snort, Coby left.

Turning her head to Nuit, the corners of Keevah's lips lifted into the ghost of a smile. "Remember. You need to be coherent for the King," she said gently. She attempted to lighten his spirits, motioning to his goblet. "And there won't be any more free wine or food if we get kicked out." Giving another squeeze to his shoulder, Keevah directed her gaze to Aapo, her grin spreading as she glanced at the drink in his hand. Mead. Not wine. Her attention cut to Udo. "A little bit of a liveliness never hurt anyone," she assured Udo in response to his apology for Aapo's less-than-sober behavior. "Pleasure to meet ya' both."

[BCOLOR=transparent]Aapo reminded Nuit of a baby. It wasn't meant as an insult, he reminded him of a baby. Well a drunk baby, but a baby nonetheless. The pure joy on his face, compared to those around playing the game of courtly politics made Nuit smile. Made Nuit want to join him. Though maybe there was just a part of his boyish heart that made him want to impress Keevah just a little bit.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The sourly knight, and sourly queen had all, but ruined that chance of fun. They had also ruined his chances of having any ability to impress Keevah. He just wanted to see her. Wanted to speak with her. And you had these two blockades of justice in front of him. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]So he had suggested the game of drinking just to make the knight lighten up a little. Call it a little vengeance. He wanted the tin head of justice to puke in his helm while fighting because it gave Nuit a little satisfaction.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He turned to Keevah who suggested it a poor idea to have a little fun, he smiled at her.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Trust me my dear, it's called being functionally drunk," he told her.[/BCOLOR]

"Ah, thank you for partaking in my little invitation" Jackal said to Jeanna dryly as he took another conservative sip of his wine. His eyes carefully inspecting her covered up weapon.

"That weapon, is rather cumbersome isn't it?" he said slowly "I know that some of the soldiers in Ardit's rebellion used scythes and other tools. But those were compromises, something used because there was nothing else" He folded his hands in front of his face, his eyes staring directly into hers. Jeanna could not get a read on him. She had no idea what was going on inside his head.

"And yet, you are a professional soldier. I hear you fought in the wars of Ragabash. Why keep using such an awkward weapon, when there are swords and axes all around you?" Jeanna now could hear a hint of a ulterior motive. He wasn't just curious about her weapon or how she fought in battles. There was something else going on, he wasn't even truly questioning her combat skills. Not really at least.

"Thank you for inviting me sir, and forgive me if I let a occasional nasty word escape from my tongue. I am 'fraid that a low-born mercenary like finds polite words hard to use," Jeanna replied. "As for this son-of-a-bitch, appropriately named the Reaper," she said putting one hand on the covered scythe: "Is definitely cumbersome, heavy as fuck and would be unusable by any poor shithead without enough strength and experience with scythes. But it is not improvised at all. It had been crafted to my fucking specification from the finest steel and by the best smith on that goddamn peninsula. To this day I still have to find a bastard with a shield or armor capable of stopping it if I swing it at full strength." She took a bit longer pause here, taking a sip of watered wine before continuing to answer Jackal: "As for my damn reasons, I will start with the reasonable ones. To start of it is a fucking powerful weapon, despite being cumbersome, allowing one that can use it to chop off limbs, tear into bodies and even calve people in half, no matter their armor or shields as its weight is greater then most weapons on the battlefield. Then there is also the fact that it burns into the memories of enemies and once they see it in action they will fucking fear it and the one which wields it, making them usually ether freeze in fear or run for their lives." She made another pause to take a sip of the wine: "As for the less reasonable reasons. It is fucking harder to fight with it then normal weapons, and if I made my fights easy it would make for shitty fun. I fucking live on the edge, always looking for that split second in combat between life and death and using this bastard makes finding that moment much easier. And in the end, I guess unlike how most owners pick their damn weapons in this case the fucking weapon picked the owner. I simply stared by using a sickle and moved onto a scythe when the sickle became to light and unpractical for me as I grew up. But you could have heard most of what I told you from any trader or refugee from that forsaken, blood-smeared, shit-hole peninsula." Not being one for subtle gestures Jeanna never noticed that Jackal was actually interested in more then her weapon. Instead she awaited to see what will the man say, killing time by slowly munching the small amount of food that she gathered on her plate.

Jackal, at first doesn't show a reaction to Jeanna. He simple stares back into her eyes and then glances over to her weapon before taking a large gulp of wine. Placing the goblet down, Jeanna can see the man is smirking, evidently satisfied.

"Heh. You'll do very nicely." Jackal said, popping a piece of cheese into his mouth. "I knew Benedict would recruit good people." He turns his head over to the king and the nobles. He could see the Good knight and Klemetti bickering in front of an increasingly apathetic king. It looked like things were about to wrap up soon.

"That noble over there arguing with Sir Benedict has a rather nasty personality. Seems he is already finding problems with your little group" He said, sighing wearily. "Be careful not to give him any reason to complain other than the ones he conjures up himself."

With that said he turned his attention away from Jeanna and towards the others he had invited. He was very pleased with Jeanna, now he wanted to see if Benedict struck gold with the others.

"Ah and you must be the girl with the last name those high status people like to talk about" Jackal said, turning his attention to Erin. She seem especially nervous and meek. He made a mischievous smirk as he considering teasing and toying with her, but thought better of it. A village girl like her already must have been intimidated by all the spectacle the King put on.

"You're a druid right? I assume you are." he said as he popped another slice of cheese into his mouth. "That Grandfather of yours is a druid so I assume you take after him. The stubborn old mule" he joked, scratching his thin beard. "Long ago some rather mean cultists crossed the border from the Western Wild Lands into Gyrus, looking to raid. Your Grandfather helped us drive them back into the swamplands. That's how he first gained our notice."

He shrugged as he grabbed a piece of bread and ripped it into tiny pieces before chewing on the crust. "As a Druid you can defend yourself right? Well I assume you can, otherwise you'd be a pretty useless druid." While Jackal could speak rather diplomatically. It was clear that there were times where he didn't care to be anything else other that blunt and direct. It was moments like these where it became clear why the nobility didn't like him.

Still, those like Selia, could ironically see there was more to the man than was generally let on. He obviously wasn't the villainous upstart the elites made him out to be. He stared at the blind woman for a brief moment before gulping down the last of his wine and politely asking the servant for more.

"I have only one title dear, "adviser to the King", and around here that's not fancy enough. Jackal is what I've been for many decades now. It's got a nice ring to it." He leaned forward towards her, inspecting her eyes.

"Are you really a blind swordsman? Or is that just an act? If it's true I once had a friend who I would have loved to introduce you too." The servant place a goblet of fresh wine in his hand, taking a small sip. "What a shame that he's probably dead. But since Benedict has recruited such talented individuals. I'm certain that you'll complete this little assignment without much trouble."

"Borrowing?!" Aapo laughed out, spitting a gruel of mead all over the floor before wiping his beard, chuckling. "Yeah, And I borrowed the farmer's daughter back in my day" the other knights laughed, slapping their knees as Aapo chugged a tankard of mead before snatching another one out of a servant's hands and chugging that one too. When he was given his third tankard, he drank a little more conservatively.

"Aapo, you shouldn't say such crude things too loudly, we'll start to get stares." Udo said.

"I'll borrow their wives if they got anything to say about it! Bad enough I'm stuck here instead of back up north. I'm gonna enjoy myself."

As Aapo went on his rant, Udo leaned back into conversation with Henry, lowering his tone so only the two could hear.

"Thing's are getting very worrisome. The Goblin tribes in the Eastern Wild Lands have been very panicky. Along the middle road, I've been getting reports that they're tearing each other apart. But its not because they're conquering each other." He glances around, making sure no one is listening.

"They're afraid Henry, A lot of those tribes used to have lands a little more up in the north. But they've been running away. Scared to death. Killing each other over control of the southern lands. I'm honestly surprised they haven't poured into Gyrus yet." Udo's eyes were dark, maybe even trembling. He was never a cheerful person to begin with. But this was something completely different than what Henry had seen from Udo.

"Some of my scouts have been to the edges of the Northern road-they won't go any farther-and they've reported sightings of... creatures. Abominations seems to be a more apt term. They look like Goblins, but... different. They have a hard time explaining it to me. At night, it seems they openly patrol the road. I've even heard these things head out down south, but only to scout. They never attack. At least, they haven't attacked my scouts yet."

Udo, unlike Aapo, was a very conservative drinker. In fact, the Goblet he was holding was probably still his first glass of wine. So it was surprising to suddenly see if take a large gulp of it.

"When we've tracked their movements. They usually head back to the same place, the dead city of Hen Drwg"

Udo glared at Henry, looking him right in the eye.

"Whatever your mission is, stay away from that road. And stay away from that place. There is something unnatural in that Elven city."

"OH A GAME!" Aapo burst out. Thankfully interrupting Udo and bringing the conversation back to something more merry. Udo politely bowed his head to Keevah, giving her a small, cheerful smile.
"I'm afraid Aapo's definition of cheerfulness can get quite out of hand at times. Would you believe me if I told you he's actually behaving himself today?"

"Listen." Aapo bellowed to Nuit "I'm on my 9th damn tankard. And that's not counting what I drank this morning. You on the other hand gotta look ol' Lysander in the eye without puking over your boots... and preferably his. Don't wanna end up like Udo now do we?"

"Oh shut up!" Udo yelled over the cackling knights as Aapo recounted the time that Udo for the first time in his life drank too much and threw up all over Jackal and his brand new silk robe.

"Oi, forget your silly game. The food is coming out" Aapo roared as he pointed towards the back doors of the banquet hall. Licking his lips.

Concern flashed across Renvar's face before he nodded and thanked the servant, sending him on his way. Although many at court knew or surmised what he was, very few knew his true name. Quickly dismissing Shay's invitation as a trap, he surmised the Xabsigan simply wanted to talk, or perhaps gloat to the former Draco Cauda. He approached and politely nodded to the merchant, "Master Shay, I am honored to make your acquaintance."

"O-oh please, Master Setn, the pleasure is all mine." Shay stuttered, gulping another large swig of wine from his goblet. "Us fugitives have got to stick together, eh?" he said, trying to joke but falling flat. There was an awkward pause, followed by another chug of wine. Anyone could tell that Shay had erratic nerves but Renvar picked up that Shay wasn't drinking so much because of his deep love for wine. He was trying to calm himself through alcohol. Though what from remained hidden from Renvar. Though he himself had been a former member of the Draco Cauda, it was clear that Shay didn't regard him as a threat. There was something else that made him like this. Perhaps, there were Draco Cauda agents tailing him? Or something more sinister was ailing his mind.

"Ah! Master Setn," Shay burst as he gestured towards Balton. "I'm know two of you know each other. But Balton is an old acquaintance of mine. A fellow brother in Arms as it were. Ha!"

While it was true that Balton knew Shay from his time in Xabsiga, he didn't know him all that well to really consider him a friend, even in the loosest terms. It was a badly kept secret that Shay dealt in Demonic artifacts and other "occult" items as the Xabsigan government called it. However for years Shay was allowed to operate freely. A Balton secretly knew why.

Shay constantly sold the Artifacts he found to the various violent cults that plagued Ardit from its inception. Making them more bold to plunder and take arms against Ardit and their King. The Xabsigan crown found this to their advantage and gave Shay a special privilege that even most Draco Cauda weren't given. Even when King Novatian violently murdered his father, he still granted Shay permission to sell these heretic artifacts to the enemies of Ardit. Balton knew that Shay's claim of Novatian's disfavor simply because of his merchandise was false. Or at least a half-truth. Something else was going on.

"I've actually invited you two specifically. As not only do we three have a grand connection to each other. But because I wish to ask a favor to you two masters." Renvar caught a small bead of sweat rolling down Shay's temple as the merchant munched on cheese.

"You see, I have a number of stops to make with my cargo later on. I plan on traveling by boat. But even without going through the wildlands, there are many dangers. There are Draco Cauda affiliates in many cities. I know a few and managed to evade them, but others are a mystery to me. I would ask you two to name some of the cities for me. So I know to be even more careful for my life."

He fished inside his vest and pulled out two small pouches that clanked with coin pieces.

"O-oh my dear good sirs! Please don't think I'm a charity case! I am a merchant after all, and I always pay people their just dues."

The bag of gold clinked enticingly in Shay's hand. Renvar knew of some Draco Cauda agents within the Kingdom; he kept tabs on them whenever he could. He began to reach out for the bag when he paused to reconsider. Shay was nervous, and that set off alarms. He had no desire to help the Draco Cauda, and neither did he want to incur their wrath. No amount of gold is worth that.

He coughed politely, "I believe you have me confused with someone else, Master Shay. I can hardly blame you; Renvar and Revna are rather similar. I'm afraid I cannot help you."

Looking at Renvars response to the favor asked of them, Balton took a deep swig of yet another wine-glass. Whether Renvar like him sensed something behind the spoken troubles of Shay the prospect nonetheless intrigued the peddler.

"Come now Shay, you know I am in no need of coin. But we could always agree on something... more exotic. If I can indeed help you of course!" he said laughing.

As he grabbed a piece of pie and took a bite Balton looked again at Renvar, it was clear why the man didn't want to help Shay. The Draco Cauda, they had quite the reputation for removing any unwanted elements. His own run-ins with them had always made him want to be somewhere else, far too much violence in that bunch. It made it hard to keep civilized.

"Now, I'm not saying I know where the Xabsigan uniforms have their informers here in Gyrus. But I might know where messages for them have come from, frequently so. What ship are you going on if I might ask?" the last was added more as an afterthought from Balton, that strange homesickness had assaulted his mind more often as of late. Nothing a brown sip couldn't fix however. The potion went surprisingly well with the wine, while his two current banquet-buddies gave him sideways stares.

"Have you ever been on a ship Renvar? And I don't mean those bulky slow things made for transport. No, have you been on a real ship made to fly the waves as swiftly as a sea serpent? The salty wind in your back and the prey in your sight..." he fell silent. Maybe that second sip had been to much. A strange light dissipated from Baltons eyes as he looked back towards the merchant, awaiting a continuation to his proposal. This had really been a good idea.

Shay frowned as Renvar rejected his offer, in a huff. He quickly scooped up Renvar's pay and put it back into his vest. "Oh, well then. Fair enough I suppose. Old loyalties die hard I see." He turned his attention to Balton. Paying the the healer no mind at this point.

"W-well, you see I'm leaving on a ship from the docks of Voima. Earlier I let the king... inspect some of my wares and in return he has allowed one of his ships to take me anywhere within reason. I suspect no Draco Cauda members among the ranks of the crew" He beamed, evidently proud of himself. Then something happened which caused Balton to give pause. Shay's facial expression changed, at first to a frown and looking down at the floor awkwardly. It wasn't apparent at first, but Balton realized this man was thinking deeply. Concentrating on something. What that was would be revealed soon when Shay looked up to Balton with a honest, genuine smile. The first Balton had seen.

"Exotic eh?" Shay asked. "Well most of my wares are accounted for at this time. So I would only have a small token to give to you." He once again reached into his vest and pulled out another sack, but this one was different from the other two filled with gold. This one wasn't made out of thread, but out of animal skin. The leather looked cracked, aged and rugged. Shay reached in one of his fat fingers and fiddled around before pulling something out.

A bronze coin.

"In return for your information, along with the money, please take this coin. I must admit it's a rather meager gift. But it's of a demonic origins. Picked it up from some worshipers over in the Western Wild Lands recently. Can't figure out what it does specifically. But the cultists said it brings protection and good luck. Maybe you can unlock its secrets."

As Shay places the coin into Balton's hands. Balton notices the image carved into both sides of the coin. It looks like some kind of insect, like a slug or a leech. There are no words inscribed, though the carving is exquisite with its fine details. A lot of hard work went into carving something into so small an object.

"I wouldn't recommend selling it. I doubt most people would take it, in fact in some cities they might get a tad upset with you."

Even though food started pouring out. Shay still held Balton's hand as he waited for any information the man might have.

As Coby moves closer to get a better listen on the King and his group of nobles, the doors in the back swing open and out comes groups of servants carrying huge platters of food, dozens upon dozens of stuffed birds, pigs and only the most tender slices of beef and lamb. Coby even spotted dishes of seafood, from traditional fishes like salmon and Tuna, to strange delicacies like eel, octopus and squid. There was already enough commotion from the hungry nobles as is. But what turned it into an outright uproar was the last meat. Bear.

Two skinned and gutted bear corpses were carried out on spitroasts by four servants each and placed in the center of the banquet. Nobles quickly smacked the servants as they barked at them to get them a slice of the meat before it was picked clean. And so like ants to food, the servants swarmed the two roasted bears. No one noticed the often out-of-place Coby eavesdrop on the King's conversation.

"You confirmed sightings of him?"

"We've seen multiple instances of a man covered completely in large robes travelling the northern roads. However, whenever we sent troops from Fort Sorto to intercept him, he simply disappeared ."

"That sounds like him alright, the slippery rat" Coby recognized this voice as that of the King

"He isn't the only man who travels in a robe! We have no basis that he's wandering the countryside."

"Than why can't a small outfit of soldiers catch one man?! They can't even talk to him before he vanishes"

"It's probably just a wizard using one of his many tricks. Probably fleeing some nasty business in the Western Vulgo and trying to pass through."

"We can't just let this go!"

"We can't focus our resources on baseless claims and paranoia. Especially when we have real threats to the east!"

Coby managed to spot the man who said that last sentence. It was Klemetti. Scowling and puffing up his lower lip. The glare in his yellow-hued eyes could cut through most men.

"...Good Klemetti is right, we have more important issues to deal with. I'm tired of this chat. Spread out, all of you. I want to enjoy my meal in peace before inspecting Benedict's men.

And that was Coby's cue to leave.

Last edited:
Selia listened quietly to Jeanna's little story about her almighty scythe, and it both interested and exasperated her. How could a woman put so much faith in such a weapon? Though, she supposed she could only see the scythe's "shadow" in the first place; perhaps it was as terrifying as she made it out to be in its full vibrancy and color. Her eyes narrowed only slightly when she noticed a change in Jackal--a change she had long since learned to be one of pure satisfaction. What was his goal in all this, in calling them over here? She took a sip of wine, brows only slightly furrowed in thought.

Jackal then turned to Erin Fable, the girl who apparently was more well-known among the nobles than the rest of them (save, perhaps, Sir Udolf). He remarked almost wistfully on her famed grandfather--a man even Selia had heard of--before asking without hesitation if the girl could defend herself. It was a rather interesting question, by all accounts, given that it was safe to assume that Sir Benedict would not be foolish enough to choose those who could not hold their own in a fight. Still, it caused Selia to wonder; after all, she only knew a select few of the names in her company. Everyone else was completely foreign to her, though she had no reason to doubt them--yet.

"I have only one title dear, 'Adviser to the King,' and around here that's not fancy enough." It took Selia a moment to realize that Jackal was now speaking directly to her. Adviser to King Lysander? Why was he not sitting with the other nobles surrounding the king, then? They seemed to be in important discussion, even to Selia; the fact that Jackal, the supposed Adviser, was not invited seemed completely nonsensical. Her eyes searched his form carefully, looking for any signs of a lie. She found none, but that meant little in a court of scandal and intrigue. She had little time to ponder it, though, as he asked her a rather surprising question.

"Are you really a blind swordsman? Or is that just an act?" He asked before remarking on some friend (she assumed the friend had been blind, from his manner of speaking) of his that was likely dead. Selia cracked a somewhat rare smile, her eyes that were usually quite devoid full of something quite different. It was as if she had been challenged, and she was no stranger to such things. She took a long sip of wine, preparing herself to answer. After all, she wasn't going to reveal every secret she knew of the Sight; it was a magic that she had yet to find in anyone else. Of course, not many people were born blind, and even fewer were born also with an affinity for magic--at least, that's what the old man had told her. How he had known she would eventually be able to use the Sight was beyond her comprehension, but perhaps it was something she would learn in time.

"I am blind in the traditional sense, yes. It is through a bit of magic that I am able to see you inspecting my 'sightless' eyes and sipping that fresh goblet of wine. However, I could neither tell you the color of your hair or the color of the wine, though I assume the wine is red. That's the catch, isn't it? Miraculous sight but without the wonder of color, though I have little reason to complain. After all, I don't even know what red really is; I only know what I have been told." With that, she took another sip of that supposedly red wine. When a brand new commotion erupted in the room, she turned to its origin, her stomach growling in response to the feast being brought out by the servants. The smells were absolutely delightful, though she could do without the increased volume of the nobility.

• Love
Reactions: Silvir
Though it mostly was from Jeanna's bashful and colourful language the young Erins eyes widened a bit whilst looking at the fearsome woman's weapon of choice. Even though wrapped up it stood out, Erin felt a cold line along her spine as her neck strands stood imagining the sight of the weapon based on the description. How horrifying she thought but still wasn't sure if she was to pity Jeanne or be impressed. "What a dark history that must amass to" she said with a low voice to herself not really noticing Jackal turning to her. Until the girl could feel his eyes linger on her like a predator sizing up it's prey.

A druid?
Her shoulders rose a bit as she tensed up to the fact that he spoke to her. "Ah yes I am" She managed to respond. As he spoke she avoided eye contact standing behind the plate and goblet like they where protection.
" I..I wouldn't say I take after him, druid craft is difficult to take in and I'm have a long way to go…" She went silent realising that she was supposed to show of her strong sides not humbly speak of her weaknesses. With that her cheeks took a brighter tone of red "But well he does say im far stronger then him or anyone he knows in the channelling of the elemental forces. Not that Druid craft is meant for violence it's meant for mediating between man and.. nature" The last part was added with a bit more force in her voice but then faded out as speaking loudly in a room like this was still a bit too much for the young woman. You could see the air leave her tense body when he turned to the other blind woman.

Aside from a quick and polite interjection of, "Revna," to correct the usage of his name, Renvar listened silently to Balton. Crossing his arms at the conclusion of his question, he smiled and simply said, "What a vivid imagination you have. I am Xabsigan, that is no secret, so it stands to reason I sailed here, but I am no hunter, so what prey would you be referring to? I am but a simple healer working for the courts." It was a thin facade, but one he was rather determined to hold, even if neither Shay nor Balton believed him.

@kimsim12
The first to respond to Jackal's questions, after Jeanna, was a blind woman that appeared to posses some interesting ability and talent with the sword. To her Jeanna quickly said after Jackal finished talking with the other two: "Jeanna. You might heard rumors from Ragabash about a scythe-wielding mercenary, which would be me. I hope we get a chance to spar on our journey. I am rather interested in how skilled with a sword are you actually and how does your, umh, "sight" work."
@Silvir
The last one that Jackal spoke to before Jeanna could say anything was introduced as a druid, which was to Jeanna's a type of mage. Jeanna had little interest in magic so she didn't know much about druids. After all Jeanna's magical knowledge was the bare minimums she needed to deal with mages in combat. Still she introduced herself and give a remark, remembering the mages she previously faced in combat: "Jeanna is the name. Scythe-wielding mercenary from Ragabash. Hope you do your job well mage. In Ragabash mages usually died after meeting my scythe, but some of them were good enough to push me to the limits of my ability. Hopefully you will be close to those in skill."
With that said Jeanna took a bit of the food that was bough into the hall and went on chewing it to kill time. She was not particularity hungry and wondered if they will be called and released by the King before desert arrives. And if they will be able to stick around after their bussniess with the King is finished. Jeanna liked sweet food, but her self-imposed spartan way of life meant that outside of banquets she would never buy some for herself.

(BG: @Slade)

Sir Henry Udolf's more relaxed expression slowly began to wain as Udo gave him the worrying news regarding the goblin tribes fighting each other in the Eastern Wild Lands. As Udo looked around and said that they seemed to be afraid and running from something, fighting over the southern lands Henry put down his goblet and begin to rest his elbows upon the table. Cupping his hands together in serious thought beneath his chin. His attention now completely focused upon Udo's words and nearly trembling expression as all other noises and distractions would slowly drift into the background. This was a truly serious matter if Udo was in the way that he was currently.

Then not a moment after the commander mentioned his scouts sightings involving abominations Henry would break out in a cold sweat as his expression became just as if not more worrisome than Udo's. The only other time the seasoned knight has heard that term being used was of tales involving the 12 warlords and the horrific magical abominations that were apart of it. The immediate fear of such magic being so close to the kingdom frightened him greatly but out of pure caution continues to keep his attention on the conversation at hand. They patrol, openly? They scout? "Either these aren't simple minded beasts...or...they are receiving order as they operate like troops." Henry would interject before letting Udo continue.

The Dead City of Hen Drwg... The knight knew full well of the northern road in regards to the tales of something gravely "unnatural" and corrupting happening up there and that those who venture there are never heard from again. "Unnatural" translated to magical in Henry's mind as it was usually the case and this whole thing simply made things worse and worse. Henry takes his shoulder cape gently into one hand so as to wipe the sweat from his brow. "I truly hope I won't have to venture there though I fear the importance that this mission seems to in tale may prove otherwise." Only such a horrifying threat of magic and unnatural phenomena could make this man so upset and those that knew said fact about Henry would easily know while others may just seem like Henry has just received some grave news as if he'd just heard a close family member had died in comparison.

As the food came out and the uproar began Henry stayed in his elbow resting worried position in deep thought as he was no longer hungry and new he had to contain himself drinking, pushing his goblet away from himself. Not even the sweet scented memory of tasting bear for the first time on the eve he was officially knighted could wet his appetite or distract his worried thoughts.

Balton held the coin up to see the images better illuminated, wracking his memory to find anything like it in there. "I'll carry it with caution, now then." he said. Stepping close to Shay to whisper in his ear, for one with good hearing they would hear an assortment of different cities being named, some in Gyrus, some in Ragabash, even some in the Eastern Vulgo. The peddler eased back with a smirk, turning towards Renvar. "The Draco Cauda has a long arm, but I prefer to think of mine as... more attentive. And I think you are being far to modest, Revna." the smirk encompassed both of his partners as he finished, an intrigued eye surveying the inbrought food.

A quick look around the hall showed Balton his new companions all sorted out to some influental individuals. Heh, maybe we will harbour opposing interests during our journey, he thought, the smirk at this point turned to lines around his eyes, an almost hungry look flying past them.
"Actually, my new friend, you wouldn't be interested in helping me with some... tinkering later on? I haven't had a fresh eye look at my work in a long time." he said. Making sure he had gotten the right impression of the Renvar, a mere healer wouldn't have made Benedict's list. "I hope you don't find us excluding you Shay? So many new bonds to make before the journey. Is everyone else starving, haha?" a few slices of meat an yet another wineglass soon rested in Balton's arms. Truly a wonderful night.

Reactions: Slade and Silvir
They follow along the conversation from their perch and suck the fruit juices from the leather fingertips of their glove idly, blinking curiously at all of what had to be said. To think of someone running about in a great robe conjured visions in their head; thoughts and words. Curiouser and curiouser. Coby hesitates upon that thought, pondering if curiouser was even a real word before the meats began to be brought out.

Behind their visor, their mouth begins to water at the great buffet of meats on display. It was a fight to not just reach out over the shoulder of the king and grab a slice of bear to gnaw upon... And surely it would be to gnaw upon, because they imagined bear would be a tough meat indeed. So, their attention (and feet) began to drift along down the table towards other aspects with the resolution of the conversation. After all, the Jackal fellow had summoned them to their side some time ago and would surely have noticed their absence by now.

However, Coby was not want to forget about their rumbling tummy along the way. In passing the noble whom they had pestered earlier, they reached out and grabbed from their plate a many-legged creature. Octopus, they thought. The noble looked aghast at Coby's horrible manners until Coby took a grip upon the octopus by its head and began to wriggle many of its legs with their fingers making slurping and popping noises.

The noble paled and looked sickly, turning away from Coby even as Coby turned about with their prize and began to tear pieces of the octopus apart to feed beneath the mask and chew. All the while they walked towards Jackal, studying him. It was perhaps in his face that Coby found the psuedonym befitting. The eyes, more in particular. The way they gleaned across people and the very room, they had the same sense as the creature he was named after.

As Coby makes their way to the group gather about the man... surprisingly all female. Coby cannot help but raise their brows behind their mask, wondering for a moment about the man and inclines their head respectfully towards him and offers up the remainder of their prize octopus.

Jackal raised his eyebrows slightly at Coby, before letting out a small coy smile. He accepted her offer of Octopus, but not with his hands. He moved forward over the table, stretched his neck out and bit into the very tip of the tentacle before slurping up the rest of it right out of Coby's hand. Licking his lips before sitting down, his hands firmly placed on the table, having not moved a finger. He gave her a mischievous look, almost like that of a playful child before it hardened into something a bit more stern as if he potentially caught on to something. He did wonder where Benedict recruited these people, it was as if the fates were...
No. Such things were nonsense.

"That mask of yours is quite intriguing. Carved from wood with the design influenced by a combination of animals and perhaps even Demons." A servant runs over and puts down a large chunk of the bear meat along with a variety of mushrooms and greens as a side dish. He grabs a free empty plate and lightly tosses it on the other side of the table, where Coby stood. With his hands, he rips the rough meat in half and haphazardly throws it into Coby's plate. He then places his goblet of wine between their two plates. Taking a mushroom, he casually dunks it in his wine and pops it into his mouth, sucking the wine of the mushroom cap before crunching in to it. He picks up a handful of his mushrooms and drops them into Coby's lap, gesturing her to follow suit.

"There are few assassins in the Western Vulgo who wear such wooden masks. It makes me wonder who...helped to hone your skills" The way he said it, it sounded like he already knew the answer, though Coby like everyone else, could not possibly gauge into the mind of Jackal, he was a complete blank slate, an enigma of sorts. A sore thumb that stuck out badly in this sea of elitist upper class sensibility.

"Not that it's really any business of mine" Jackal began again, "But I do wonder if you've had any experience in..other-worldly influences." If Jackal answered how he thought she would, it would confirm his suspicions. Though even if he was right about the girl, it wasn't as if it mattered much. She was a torch in a sea of bonfires.

Their eyes flicker behind the mask, passing between Jackal and the mushrooms now scooped in their hands. Their stomach was in a knot. Or was it their thoughts. Their teeth grit into a snarled grimace of pain momentarily as they try to work through the words that come to mind and flicker at the forefront of thought even as they struggle to fixate on something else, anything else.

This opportunistic creature, carrion eater before them that smirked with wicked fangs; it sent to room too restricting, the air too cloying, their collar clawing at their throat. Coby drops the mushrooms back to the plate and scratches at the collar of their tunic to loosen it, breath a bit shallow and eyes luminous pinpricks. And in that moment that stretched on for all too long, that their gaze met Jackal's.

Coby hesitates and picks up the bear, or at least, a chunk of its torn meat and jams it in their mouth to chew. It was what they observed people do when they were buying time to talk. They smack loudly the rough meet in their mouth and try to fixate upon it and its gamy quality, pushing words... no, memories... to the back of their mind.

As eventually they swallow, Coby takes the wine and takes a sip, not paying much heed to the fact Jackal's fingers had been in there moments before. Calm, collected, use words. That is what Coby needed. Their eyes flicker across the cadre of women otherwise about Jackal and Coby looses a whisper of a chuckle, "Attempt to flirt?" Coby sets the wine back down, "Could use work."

Jackal nearly chokes on his food as his thumps his chest with his hand and coughs loudly. "I don't know what you're talking about" he gasped out, somewhat regaining his composure. "I don't flirt in the first place. All the noble women start out pretty, but then get fat."

With his hands he takes the meat and violently rips it off with his teeth, chewing wildly as throws a few spinach leaves in for good measure, stuffing his face before wolfing it down his throat. He lets out a breath, evidently having held it in the entire time he gorged on that large mass of food, before stiffening his shoulders and looking at Coby, as if he could see right through the mask.

"Plus I'm getting older, I really should leave skirt-chasing to the younger folks." He grabs the wine goblet that the two were now sharing and takes a sip. "In fact there are quite a few things that we're all leaving to the younger folk". When he placed the goblet down, he pushed it towards Coby, offering her the final last sips of it.

"Though I have a feeling you already know about Masters leaving things to the younger generation" His eyes glared at hers, though they weren't murderous or even accusatory. Just a reminder that Jackal, the commoner who advised the King and was widely mocked, knew more than it appeared at first.

Coby's eyes flicker down the table to where the King Lysander was seated before they snort in amusement and nod. "Yes," they answer. They grab hold of a piece of long greens and hold it up, inspecting it for a moment before their gaze drifts idly across to Selia, the druid and the scythe-bearer. "All do, though." They smile behind their mask before setting to drop the greens and take up a napkin to attentively clean the residue of all the food so insofar from their gloves.

Co-post with @Clyde

Keevah perked a brow at Nuit's response, taking a glance to his goblet. Is he already drunk? "And trust me, my dear, I don't wanna nurse you through another hangover."
Nuit gave Keevah a crooked side smile.

"Please," Nuit responded, "You won't nurse me from anything. I function well drunk." He gave a small, heh, while grabbing another goblet.

Meanwhile, the Noble had ignored him. Typical. Only as useful as a bird with unique feathers.

Keevah couldn't keep the chuckle from bubbling from her throat. "Oh, that so?" she asked him, stealing a sip of her own wine before a devious grin curled her lips. "That's not what I recall happening last time."

"The last time I recall they spiked the drink with much harder liquor," Nuit told her.

He took a second.

"If this wasn't a deadly mission, that embarked us on a journey, this would almost feel like an unusual date," he told her. He wanted to gauge how she react or respond. Plus he was always about taking risk. That or four glasses of wine was starting to go his head and he was only now starting to feel it.

Which is fine. He'd much prefer to feel that, then the uncomfortable tightness in his left arm he couldn't necessarily massage out.

Words were quick to flee from Keevah. Giving a thoughtful noise, she tore her eyes away from the man to survey the room: nobles with alcohol in hand and meals sat in front of them, the knights, Udo, and Aapo bantering with one another, and at the other people of the group she'd joined were all places she looked to avoid meeting Nuit's eyes, in fear she'd somehow make a fool of herself. She took a drink of her wine -- too big a drink -- to bide her time to a muster up a response, and, when she'd managed to find one, she willed her gaze back to the man.

"Food, wine, music," she began, "Not half bad for a date if you ask me." She peered at him over the rim of her goblet as she took another drink, a smile touching her eyes.

"Well let's be honest, I'd borrow a noble's home for our first date if I had a choice. Instead we have been peacefully summoned," Nuit frowned at the wording choice, but nonetheless he smiled back at her.

Keevah was something he uniquely considered. While everything in his life he did not consider with such heavy thought. She was a woman he remembered fondly.

Especially whenever he heard a lute, there were times in his life it were in fact her. Secretly admitting he would look at every lute player in hopes it was her.

They had always had a habit of meeting in unlikely places. And beyond meeting in unlikely places, got themselves into a bit of a trouble. But he swore she liked it. It was the only reason he did it. To keep things interesting.

He wasn't sure he was too interesting beyond the random young man she stumbles upon here and there. And yet, it felt like destiny.

Like those stupid tales they tell you of romance, where some child placed their eyes on one individual. What's the term of first sight. But for him it was perhaps, first heard of a song's voice.

Yet the irony, was they knew very little of each other. He often came in ridiculous dress like now, wearing Jermaine's freshly pressed and cleaned clothes.

With a mask to cover his eyes. The last few times he wore other things in disguise. It made him really consider if he were a man there was someone to get to know behind all the mask and disguises and trouble- fun making.

"What have you been up to the last time we met?" he asked her modestly.

And now they got to the trivial, boring part of the date. Where they asked each other questions about their simple lives. Except none of his answers would be simple.

Keevah's eyes wandered around the room as Nuit spoke, and it wasn't long before her attention drew to the arriving food; she felt herself salivate. Stealing a glance back at Nuit, she gave a quick smile. "Practicing," was the response she gave, rolling off her tongue almost mindlessly as her gaze snapped back to the incoming meal. And she had been practicing -- everything. Her music, her archery, her social skills, day in and day out, with the aid of her mercenary father. Though the years have aged his appearance, scarred face wrinkled and hair silver, they hadn't yet touched upon his fighting abilities. He still possessed the battle prowess he'd obtained in Keevah's earliest memories, and seemingly had no intent of halting his career as a mercenary any time soon. She'd fought with her father over this more times than she could count. Time was not going to freeze for her father forever, and, eventually, Keevah had the sickening feeling he was going to hurt himself horribly. Scoffing, her father would reply, "Little one, I'll be damned if I give up before my heart does." Keevah, disgruntled, would shake her head and go back to strumming her lute or loosing arrows.

Keevah turned to Nuit, smiling. She gave a gesture to a couple of nearby seats, not too far from where Udo and Aapo were sitting. "Eat and chit-chat? I haven't had a meal that looked that good in.... ever."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Sir Salty
Once the feast really began it continued uninterrupted for an agonizingly long hour and a half. Gyrus Nobles were known for their massive appetites and liking to eat their meals in peace. Any real discussions happened before or after eating, never during, it was considered a major faux pas, even among the peasants for one to interrupt one's eating with important talk unless it was an absolute emergency. Therefore, other than the occasional small comment about how the food was delicious, it was eaten without a word, and the only ones Benedict's group had to talk to were each other. Though the Banquet hall was still loud with the sounds of plates and silverware clacking against each other and the mushy sounds of food being chewed and wine being gulped down. For those among Benedict's group who were accustom to more social meals, this must have been strange, and also incredibly boring due to the lack of good conversation. Even the bombastic braggart Aapo, spoke not a word as he scarfed down two plates of bear with mushrooms and another three tankards of mead. Udo's appetite was surprisingly larger, eating four plates of the gamey bear with fresh baby spinach and washing it down with cold water.

In fact the only one who bothered to make any conversation was Shay, but he only talked to Balton, ignoring Renva. It was a clue as to how he viewed people. Those who deemed to have no value to himself he wanted nothing to do with. It was a harsh, unpleasant and selfish view to have of others and of the world at large. But not entirely unsurprising for a successful merchant. Even so, Shay spoke to Balton in hushed low voices as to be disturb or display rudeness to his Gyrus hostesses. Though this conversation would do nothing to alleviate the stagnate and boring atmosphere for Balton as Shay only talked about small casual things such as the weather in certain cities, the locals rudeness/pleasantness, how the buyers of his wares for either cheapskates or total suckers, or the most amusing, Shay's grumblings at the prices of local whores in various cities. It was troublesome to even imagine a man as nervous and cautious as Shay even having sex at all, and perhaps the image wasn't all that pleasant to begin with.

Jackal was quiet throughout the dinner as well. Silently eating with his head down, only glancing one eye over to the King. But to the four women that he had asked to join him, it was clear that he was just as bored and irritated by the lack of conversation, even after 25 years of serving the King he still hated this depressing scene of the Gyrus people silently eating. It showed two things to the four girls who ate with him: this further showed the gap of friendly relationships between himself and the nobility, and two, it was looking more and more like he had been born in a foreign land, originally unaccustomed to Gyrus's customs. A true citizen of Gyrus, from Peasant to King, would find the silence peaceful and refined, but Jackal only saw them as drab and dull.

Eventually, the more the two bears were stripped of flesh and reduced to strings of poor meat hanging off of brown and yellow bones, conversation began to slowly pick up as the food that had been prepared was slowly starting to run out. Even the poor servants were looking ragged and tired from running all of the banquet hall serving goblets of wine and carrying multiple heavy plates of bear. One of child servants got so tired he nearly fell down, only to be caught by another, older servant and quickly rushed to one of the side doors. Not one noble would have broken the silence to ask if the child was alright, but on the other hand, no one would have bothered berating the boy or another servant for "bad service" as could be seen in places like Xabsiga, where the treatment of servants was much more harsh; at least those in service to Lysander were paid.

Now the real commotion would soon begin, the Nobles, with their previous stuffy inhibitions now gone due to stuffed bellies, would lean back against their chairs and simply call for wine. Except now the wine that was being served was no longer Red wine. It was red in color but with a slight pinkish hue and was called "dessert wine". A popular wine among Gyrus nobles... and no one else. It was considered too sweet and sugary for others to call it tasteful. What it was was a Strawberry wine which after the fermenting process was mixed in with bag after bag of various molasses, syrups, and juices that all came from Sugarcane. Nobles rarely got drunk off of red wine as they had been drinking it like it was water since they were children, but they always got quite intoxicated off of Dessert wine simply because they drank so much of it. Proof of this was that the servants didn't even bother bringing out goblets, they brought out bottles and laid out six or seven of them group groups of nobles to drain and demand more. Leaving their lips pink and sticky.

Which is why Lysander made a signal to his guards and they began to slam the butts of their lances on the floor loudly, attracting the attention of everyone. He wanted to get this done and over with now before they all got drunk and were playing lutes and reciting awful love poetry. He shivered in disgust at the thought as he popped the cork off of a bottle of dessert wine and drank a gulp out of the bottle before pouring the glass himself, rudely shooing the servant away when she tried to pour it for him.

He stood up, alone on his throne aside from his guards and raised a his goblet in a toast. His back was slightly hunched, a side effect from his injuries during the War of Kaldra which he never fully recovered from and age only exasperated. But his shoulders were still broad and his legs, even if the muscle was absent still took a wide, powerful stance.

"What a meal that was!" he said to mild applause "I haven't eaten bear in decades. Let us off our cups to Commander Udo and his guards at Fort Seima for tracking down and hunting these two beasts near the borders of the Eastern Wild Lands! Truly a manly and dangerous feat!"

The applause grew louder as Udo bashfully stood up, a towering giant and gently bowed, placing his hand on his chest as he did so as a form of respect to his liege, before shyly sitting back down.

"Now this leads me to some rather unpleasant business that we must attend to before we continue the merriment." He reached over and grabbed a spear out of one of his surprised guard's hands. Quickly inspecting it.
"What a measly disgrace this weapon is. All of these soldiers guarding us with this old piles of garbage. How shameful!" the banquet went deathly quiet, as if most of the nobility were afraid of him. Udo grimaced and Aapo even looked down. Klemetti had the same stern face he always had, but now it was matched by Lysander's whose face grew would slowly morph into a terrible fury.

"But what are these soldiers to do! In this rich and powerful land that I and my fathers built from nothing, this is all we have?! Where are our Vulgo caravans?! Who has dared stolen our weapons that we have paid for?! Who is to answer for this disgrace?!"

He threw the spear on the ground, the force of the toss bouncing it back up a few feet before rattling to a stand still. Lysander, for a brief moment, his rage reaching its apex, roared. "BBeennedict!"

Sir Benedict appeared suddenly, in a calm, dignified manner before the king. One could even see a small smile as he knelt before the king.
"I have commissioned the talented Knight Benedict to recruit a group of professionals to enter the Eastern Wild Lands to find the source of these caravans disappearing. Gyrus will not be a laughingstock for someone to take advantage of!" Benedict rose from his kneeling position, with his head still bowed.

"Present your group in front of me in a line! And show not only me, but the rest of us, this group you have produced."

Benedict turned, his face no longer smiling, but was now given a stern, harsh look as he snapped his fingers loudly. That was the group's prompt to begin quickly moving forward to the king. They were being paid quite a lot but in order to earn that pay, they had to do two things: First, show to everyone that they were equipped for the job in the first place, and secondly, to carry out the job. Benedict's eyes shifted to Klemetti, with him around, Benedict honestly couldn't guess which one would be harder.

"Oh and furthermore" the King added with a sly smile. "Let them introduce themselves to me" Benedict gulped, finally showing an expression of nervousness. Lysander truly loved his loyal knight, but he at the same time delighted in making the charismatic and calm man sweat and Klemetti was going to be the one to really apply pressure.

One could see the noble, leaning forward against his table, almost standing rather than sitting. His shoulders hunched with tension, like a cat ready to pounce. Klemetti was ready to go on the attack and humiliate this group that Benedict had gathered. Mostly because Klemetii, in all of his elitism, paranoia and extreme loyalty to Lysander, believed that he was the only one, above all of the other noble families, fit to advise the King and carry out his will.

It explained why he hated Jackal so much. He was the epitome of everything Klemetti hated. Though it was not only Benedict who was nervous now, as Klemetti felt a droplet of sweat run down his temple when he caught Jackal looking dead ahead at him, giving him a toothy smile so wide he showed his canines.

Renvar quietly ducked out of the conversation once he realized Shay was ignoring him. He didn't mind escaping the attention of the Xabsigan, but his moment of solace only made him realize how out of place he was here at court. He may work for nobles, but it was not his place to be amongst them. The feeling only grew once the food was brought out. Food and conversation went hand-in-hand in Xabsiga, and to see them so thoroughly divorced only highlighted the fact that he did not belong here. The nobles, so unguarded in their self-interest and hedonism was bizarre for the Xabsigan. The nobles at home would be- No, that place is no longer home. Not anymore, so get some food and stop bemoaning the past. He did so, finding some small solace in that the food was delicious, and a far sight better than what he was used to.

Once the feast concluded, the dessert was promptly brought out. Renvar couldn't help but spot the flagging servantry, and was mildly disgusted with their performance. Were such a thing to happen in the Court of the God-King, the offending servant wouldn't get away with a simple scolding or beating, the would be handed over to Renvar, or one like him, for such failure in the presence of the Dragon God. He took a goblet of dessert wine and took a sip, only to grimace at the saccharine flavor. He was about to call one of the servants to bring him some water to dilute the mess when the guards began calling for attention with their spears.

The King made his speech and summoned Sir Benedict. Renvar saw this as time to come forward and pushed through the crowd politely to be at hand for his introduction to the court. When it came time to do so, he stepped forward and knelt before King Lysander. "Your Majesty, I am Sten Revna, a torturer and interrogator. It shall be my duty to suss out the source of these disappearances, and punish them accordingly. I have served your vassals loyally for two years, and shall continue to serve both you and Sir Benedict with the same fealty I have shown them."

[BCOLOR=transparent]Collab Balton (@Windstormugly) & Erin (@Silvir)[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The Gyrus banquet made truth for it's name, the chatter died away and Balton found himself more than slightly put off by it, maybe something to do with his upbringing among pirates. Luckily he had gotten the only meal-partner who kept talking. Ok, maybe it wasn't so lucky, heh, he could have done without the nonsense, but what didn't you do for friends and… money, heh. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"Maybe you'd better frequent some of the more… organized establishments instead? I have a few acquaintances that would make sure your tastes are met for a decent price, heh." Balton saw Shay's eyes turn calculating at that. How could anyone find merchants less horrid than thieves, heh, maybe it was due to the clothes.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]After a while the food and drink started to get the mood lighter in the room, the Gyrus nobles were likely going to drink themselves silly on the dessert wine. The king suddenly interrupting seemed perfectly planned. Fueling a fury towards the problem at hand before giving Benedict's group as the solution was also masterfully done, the peddler had to admit to himself.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Time to introduce themselves then, after giving Shay a sideways smile Balton stood up, and was ready to go first, but something caught his eye.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Erin sighed as Jeanna turned away for the food. It was exhausting to move around all these nobles and experienced fighters. If one side wasn't busy measuring your worth, the other stepped in and measured your strength. Like a cub sneaking past a full grown beast the girl moved up next to the woman and took some food as well. "I'll do my best" she said picking out from the delicacies. But mainly focusing on the dishes around the meat as they smelled heavenly and besides, wild meat was a daily diet for someone like her, but never had she tasted these recipes and she let out small sounds of joy at each new experience as the eating moved on. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]As people finished up and the dessert was brought in the king called for everyone's attention and Erin turned with shiny eyes as she sipped with joy from the sweet drink never noticing its alcoholic contents. Still the next part caused her to hick and cough as the statement of presenting themselves to the king was announced.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A helping hand appeared at her shoulder, giving a little nudge to get her attention.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"Don't choke on the wine Fable, it will be hard to introduce yourself." Balton said with a smile towards the young girl. Able to look back on his own life gave him a sense of the uncertainty she most likely felt at the moment. They were after all going to offer themselves unguarded in the face of the king and his nobles.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"Just think of them as… a herd of sheep and Lysander as a wolf. Ok maybe an old bear, hehe." a little laugh rolled of his lips as he said the last. Looking at her to see if the joke managed to calm her down.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Suddenly seeing their faces surrounded by wool and making sheep sounds Erins shoulders shook from withheld laughter. "thank you" Erin smiled nervously as the image faded away. They still had to walk up there. And so another man in the party did, Renva. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]The girl looked at the scene that played out trying to imagine herself up there in that position. A small hick could be heard again. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Of course the former Xabsigan had to introduce himself that grimly, after he had managed to calm the girl down and everything. Balton would have been annoyed if he didn't find this all as such a lovely gathering.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"They'll find you adorable, just tell them what you can do!" he said. Not really sure if that first part would help her in front of the king. A sudden thought struck Balton, and he fished up a tiny blue vial from his coat, which he sneaked into the hand of his young companion.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"Give that a taste, won't you? Thinking clearly in a room of drunks make them seem that much less as something to be bothered about. Just a taste though, hehe." a wink and the peddler was walking ahead of the girl to stand before the king. As he came up beside Revna he gave a smile and flung out his coat and bowed with as much flair as he could, which proved to be surprisingly deep below his waist with one leg out at an angle behind him.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"My name is [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Balthonne Trive'rsdiá[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent], at your need, King!" Balton said with a big smile, looking up into the eyes of Lysander. "Merchant from Dunheim since my youth, I have walked every path and road in this wide world, and I'll make sure we arrive and return with that which we need!" a power could be felt in the peddlars words that betrayed his appearance. There was no uncertainty or lie in his eyes, eyes once more alight with a fire forged through a whole life. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Too nervous to really think straight she emptied the thing into her drink and swept it all down. While Balton introduced himself Erin couldn't feel anything at first but then her eyes grew and noticeably so did her pupils. Frightened at first hearing wind she soon realised she could hear her own breathing and that of everyone around her. It was a rush but at the same time making her so focused she almost forgot to head upfront to present herself. But finally she moved and knelt down next to the other two. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]"I am Erin Fable, Druid from the western wild lands. I offer my humble powers in service to this quest" Having said that she could feel her heart beating in her chest like a wardrum. Unsure where to look she kept her eyes low never even thinking about looking up at a King. A person so far above herself in stature. [/BCOLOR]

Jeanna didn't take a lot of food, at least until dessert came when she wasted no time to grab as much sweet stuff as possible. Her drink, was and stayed, watered-down wine, as she was not a fan of getting drunk, ever (she did it once and didn't like it at all). Anyhow due to taking a bit more time to enjoy the dessert Jeanna was only a few moments slower then the first three that stepped out in front of the King.

With her scythe in her right hand, its blade still warped in cloth and rope, she walked out in front of the King, standing next to the others. She politely preformed a curtsy before introducing herself: "Jeanna. Mercenary from Ragabash. Here with my scythe, seeking excitement by joining this task of yours, Your Highness."

With that said Jeanna took a firm stance, her scythe right in front of her and the cloth-warped blade pointing straight at the king. Despite being separated by the blade, both of Jeanna's eyes were fixated on the King, full of unyielding will as they studied the aging man. "Fucking shame I was not born earlier or he later. He would probably been one challenging motherfucking opponent when he was in the fucking height of power," she thought as she waited for the rest to introduce themselves or the King to say anything, whichever happened first.

Status
Not open for further replies.