Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Image Result for Medieval Banquet Hall

I mean... I see a common trend... That falls in line with our GM's description that it was 1 table spanning the length with the king at one end.

But you know. I guess we all have that funny imagination thing, doin' crazy things to us all. Aw shucks.

Anyways, some actions are a lot less complex than others.

For example... Looking at the open field battle at the burned caravans as opposed to the banquet hall:

Open Field: All we know is that we're by some upturned caravans (not even how complete or high-up or etc they are) and that a number of bandits are coming out of the wood. We don't know how wide-spread the bandits are, or what directions they're coming, etc. In a combat scenario, you're suddenly pretty lost, because all your tactical thoughts? They're out the window because you can't effectively see the battle. For example, Silvir, looking between your AoE effect and mine. Yours apparently covered a lot more area than mine, because you were able to effectively snare a wide number of enemies -after they scattered for other means.- Now look at mine. It was an explosion centered specifically around just the archers and they were all apparently able to quickly run out of its effect field. There's a lot of room for interpretation on these events because... we honestly don't know where they are. The only things we can effectively have in our head is that there's a tree-line and there's some caravans of indeterminable size and number, with the bandits being closer to the trees and us being closer to the caravans.

Banquet Hall: We are given a number of objects to consider: First off, we enter through one end and out before us is a long table. The lower class is presented as being closest to us along the table, and divided along partway where it transitions into the upperclass, with the king on its end. Around the outer ring of this long banquet hall are guards... Now, this offers a lot more information, even if it doesn't necessarily outline the number or descriptor features of the hall. We know where to look along this singular stretch for various individuals and our relation to other individuals because of this. We were told in what company Jackal was oriented, as well as the named nobles, and even our friendly captains Udo and Aapo. If we all were to draw a map of all this and the people present, you could probably draw a rough estimation of just about what the area is and where everyone is and it'll be much closer and with much less effect upon the scenario that the Open Field scenario has. *shrugs*
*Sigh* oh okay lets address this before we are starting to cause misunderstandings. Lets do some source checking. It is quite nice to have the original posts to read from.

1: The banquet hall you are so wrong about i don't know what you read up on. But for reference i took time to look at the first post that actually takes time to describe the scene.
Here i copied it to save time.
It was easy for the courtroom to turn into a banquet hall. It was already a huge room, housing wooden tables that were easily a hundred feet long where not only the Nobility dwelt, but their knights and squires as well as their own servants. That wasn't including the guards that were stationed throughout the room, of which there were at least a hundred. In the back of the court room were doors that led to the kitchens where the food was still being prepared with dozens of raging fires and large cauldrons. Doors to the side were where a mass of servants of the King went in and out, providing services such as wine and even playing instruments if they had the skill, prompting merry laughter from a nobility that were often quite stuck up and pompous.

2: Open field??? Again im curious do you skim the posts??
let me qoute directly from the post
Finally he got his wish, right after passing the fork in the road, with the right turn leading to Ragabash, he found his evidence and halted the group to slow down and proceed with caution. There were four frames of what had once been massive trading caravans, the biggest that anyone had ever seen. The entire road before them was paved in black burn marks. But the group would notice that other than the smell of the wooden caravans, it wasn't charcoal they smelled. It was oil. Not lamp oil either, but a thick, greasy oil that was pungent and could cause one to cough if inhaled too much.

Then there were the bodies, dozens of dozens of what looked to be Vulgo mercenaries stripped of their armor and weapons and even clothes and left naked on the battlefield. Some had died by the usual violent means: swords, clubs, spears and arrows. But others were burned and charred completely, their bodies permanently twisted due to the last flailing moment of agony they experienced before their lives finally ended. Corpses were littered everywhere. Benedict stepped slowly into the carnage and signaled for the others to move behind him as he carefully drew his sword; a slender estoc.

I do not see a field mentioned. In fact it seems all this takes place on a rather wide road in the forest.
Now lets move on to right before the battle and see what is written here

The man made a small, mocking smirk. Already knowing what Benedict was thinking and he didn't once move to grab his hatchet. "Try not to do something that would result in all of you dying" he said coldly as he motioned for the woods beyond. "Besides, you should really focus on what's out there"

Benedict paused and heard in the distance of the forest the sounds of men grumbling and tramping loudly through woods and towards them.

"Looks like they're here to clean up" he said as he grabbed his hatchet, it's handle being completely swallowed by his hand. "These bandits like to cover their tracks for some reason. They'll want to kill us all since they know we've seen the bodies."

Benedict nodded as he warily faced away from the man and towards the sounds of the laughing men slowly emerging from the forest. Those with keener eyes could see their outlines as they came close.

It seems we are on a road and in front of us on the road is a man "Otto" standing. Clearly Benedict has to turn away from him to face the oncoming enemies. Meaning we have 3 directions to choose from and forward is not one of them. The road is clearly large if one looks further back in the post so the men arriving out through the woodwork's are not to far away. But enough to allow for crossbow men. So i take it that the forest is not that dense closer to the road.

And how does this continue well lets have a look shall we?
The sounds of the men revealed themselves, a group of around two dozen, some of whom were carrying flasks of wine, their faces flushed red and at least slightly drunk. Their laughing and merriment stop as one of them, a toothless, older man squeaked out a sentenced.

"The Fuck? I thought Zeke said he killed them all."

"mus' be some stragglers. Letsa go gut 'em"

The majority of the bandits drew their weapons and began running at the group. Despite having been pillaging quality weapons for months now, they're own weapons looked shoddy at best and some were even made of wood in the form of spears and clubs. The metal weapons some of them had looked rusty and way to old to be used for even training purposes. But it was always unwise to underestimate the strength of drunk bandits. Regardless of their weapons. What was more concerning were the five who stayed back and pulled out their crossbows and began to slowly load them.

Im sorry but i see nothing here mentioning a field either.
And there i'm done with that. But i will concede on the point that Action can be more complicated but so far there has been little to none that requires a large amount of detail. Also to return to @T _ TSalty here in this

1: Assasin means hired killer. It can be any type of person that is really good at finding and killing a target in a variety of scenarios even in broad daylight, in a crowd. Now yes you have made it clear that your character focuses on sneak attacks mostly. But based on description you should have some martial training and knowledge to deal with melee combat right???

And now to finally to return to the original question in this.
What does the dice have to do with that?
Cause regardless in combat you will have to move, position and make clear what your intentions for engagement are. Heck you did already in this battle. The Dice will only decide how successful you are and how the physical combat plays out after that. Not all battles will be a one turn dice throw some will be several with writing inbetween. And based on what you have written that will be difficult. Which is what im trying to understand here. :/

And also now i am curious. Is your assasins at all capable at melee combat?? martial training? or anything the like...

• Thank You
Reactions: Windstormugly
First off: A field isn't always with crops and stuff its just a general term for "an area of open land" Because we don't have it openly expressed one way or another how great the distance is or is not, but we can apparently have an open enough stretch to see all these individuals suddenly appear but not be instantly next to us to attack or see us through their tree coverage before we see them, we can assume that there is a determinable stretch of open land between us, though we do not know the measurement, in other words: a field. Fields, quite surprisingly, especially if you live in areas with them eeeeeverywhere and you can't walk out your front door without seeing them, can have roads amidst them, and are still called... fields.

Also, let's just... Iunno. Draw up a verbatim rip of the word assassinate from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
  1. 1: to murder (a usually prominent person) by sudden or secret attack often for political reasons
  2. 2: to injure or destroy unexpectedly and treacherously
Now, I don't know about you... but being capable of assassination, esp with the way in which the character was designed, which... did you even read the characters? Does imply an iota of stealth, underhanded tactics and overall... getting the upperhand on your opponent.

How does dice help translate towards being beneficial towards a character where you can't actually effectively map out what they're doing step by step on a field where you don't actually know where all the pieces on the map effectively are... In fact, no one does, if not evidenced by our already very contradicting ideas of the layout of the area. The best you can do is try to fanagle some sort of rough gist of what you try to do without enforcing too much detail because (1) it could contradict with the GMs ideas of the area and layout and (2) it can do the same with the other players'. In this, the dice are a "great equalizer" and you can attempt to utilize your benefits as an assumption that your character utilizes their skills/proficiency/etc via expression by a "bonus" to the dice roll in lieu of thorough tactical explanation.

Oh, by the way, you're not the only one who can quote:

The huge courthouse, which housed the King and his relatives and was also was the prime seat of power within Gyrus. Its two doors were over twenty feet tall and built with steel that was a foot thick. [. . .] It would always be the first thing one would see before entering the court room.

[. . .]

King Lysander sat on the throne before his feast, [. . .] Benedict had frowned because Lysander was surrounded by nobles[.]

Now, in a rather traditional banquet hall, especially when these people are so thoroughly congregated down along a line of tables... This is the setup:

medieval-banquets-tables-31473715.jpg

These tables are aligned end-to-end and they aren't spread out across different division of tables, but foster a communal atmosphere where the banquet is lined out along their combined length, hence: one table. One key point that hints further to the banquet being set up like this is the following from the 3rd GM post correlating to the banquet:

Two skinned and gutted bear corpses were carried out on spitroasts by four servants each and placed in the center of the banquet.

This implies that there is a central location about which everyone at this is gathered. I mean, a lot of this does give an idea about where the locations of people are, what the set-up is and so forth, in support of a lot of what I said....

HOWEVER! GETTING AWAY FROM THE POINT. We can go on and on about the very details of what looks like what and our various interpretations of it, but guess what... We're always all going to get something different. Which is the point here. In a social situation, there is typically going to be less importance towards the tactical positioning of everything in the room, so a general gist of Who is around Who typically suffices in order to understand that one must be in a certain area to talk to X but won't be around Y because of it. The point of the entire thing was to say, in a combat scenario in particular, it comes up more the importance of understanding positioning and such, especially for the characters that have a less direct role. I've already given examples of this with the differences in our "Area of Effect" attacks, Salty has given you one with his assassination, if you want more... Consider what you're saying by there not being an open expanse between the bandits and our party. If there's not an open space, suddenly (1) our frontline engagement isn't moving to meet them (2) I'm shooting near our front line with explosives and you with your spells (3) the enemy's frontline would have effectively been right in the faces of the support line of archers and casters and they would have been right in the melee, because these individuals failed to moved back, but rather stood there and just took their aggressive actions for the round. TIt should also be considered that by also them not being in an open expanse, our archers and such likely should not have had a clear sight because the enemies would have been able to use the treeline to provide themselves cover.

If you read nothing else, read this:

You're behaving like a demeaning jackass with how you're talking to others, @Silvir. And I find it a bit dickish that when being explained as to why people have TROUBLES WITH PARTICULAR PLAY STYLES and are EXPRESSING THEIR OPINIONS AND PREFERENCES, you are on the attack because it doesn't make sense to you and your particular preferences or your visualization of things. But yeah, okay. Let's continue to go back and forth at each others' throats. When we're all using our imagination in a game of fictional collaborative writing where we all have our own ideas, interpretations and preferences, this sounds really productive and like it'll get us far.

Hey guys, let's take a step back and realize that there are differing opinions here. It's still a great role play, and Slade mentioned himself that it's a work in progress. Trial and error, right?

Let's keep the positivity! It's still a great roleplay!

Hey guys, let's take a step back and realize that there are differing opinions here. It's still a great role play, and Slade mentioned himself that it's a work in progress. Trial and error, right?

Let's keep the positivity! It's still a great roleplay!

It's not even a difference of opinion. I was attacked for two fundamentally different mechanics of writing.

I need to know where my allies are;

In DnD sessions we go

"Well Regard is a paladin so he'll be in the front"

"My Orc Barbarian will be right beside him"

"The Bard will be in the center behind them then"

"While my Mage will hang back"

"The Rogue will be in the middle then"

and then we also know where the enemies are from us

"Oh that bandit is 15 feet away from you"

so you know you can either make a double move or you have to take three turns to get there

We also know where and who is attacking what

"Paladin attacked the bandit in front of him"

"How do I get around not being seen"

"You're out of so and so line of sight"

I need to know;

-Where everyone is positioned
-What distance the enemy is away from us
-Who has a line of sight
-Who doesn't
-How far it will take to get there
-What is the best route to take
-What the terrain is like

All the factors that encompass a battle mechanic.

Reactions: Silvir
First off: A field isn't always with crops and stuff its just a general term for "an area of open land" Because we don't have it openly expressed one way or another how great the distance is or is not, but we can apparently have an open enough stretch to see all these individuals suddenly appear but not be instantly next to us to attack or see us through their tree coverage before we see them, we can assume that there is a determinable stretch of open land between us, though we do not know the measurement, in other words: a field. Fields, quite surprisingly, especially if you live in areas with them eeeeeverywhere and you can't walk out your front door without seeing them, can have roads amidst them, and are still called... fields.

Also, let's just... Iunno. Draw up a verbatim rip of the word assassinate from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
  1. 1: to murder (a usually prominent person) by sudden or secret attack often for political reasons
  2. 2: to injure or destroy unexpectedly and treacherously
Now, I don't know about you... but being capable of assassination, esp with the way in which the character was designed, which... did you even read the characters? Does imply an iota of stealth, underhanded tactics and overall... getting the upperhand on your opponent.

How does dice help translate towards being beneficial towards a character where you can't actually effectively map out what they're doing step by step on a field where you don't actually know where all the pieces on the map effectively are... In fact, no one does, if not evidenced by our already very contradicting ideas of the layout of the area. The best you can do is try to fanagle some sort of rough gist of what you try to do without enforcing too much detail because (1) it could contradict with the GMs ideas of the area and layout and (2) it can do the same with the other players'. In this, the dice are a "great equalizer" and you can attempt to utilize your benefits as an assumption that your character utilizes their skills/proficiency/etc via expression by a "bonus" to the dice roll in lieu of thorough tactical explanation.

Oh, by the way, you're not the only one who can quote:

Now, in a rather traditional banquet hall, especially when these people are so thoroughly congregated down along a line of tables... This is the setup:

medieval-banquets-tables-31473715.jpg

These tables are aligned end-to-end and they aren't spread out across different division of tables, but foster a communal atmosphere where the banquet is lined out along their combined length, hence: one table. One key point that hints further to the banquet being set up like this is the following from the 3rd GM post correlating to the banquet:

This implies that there is a central location about which everyone at this is gathered. I mean, a lot of this does give an idea about where the locations of people are, what the set-up is and so forth, in support of a lot of what I said....

HOWEVER! GETTING AWAY FROM THE POINT. We can go on and on about the very details of what looks like what and our various interpretations of it, but guess what... We're always all going to get something different. Which is the point here. In a social situation, there is typically going to be less importance towards the tactical positioning of everything in the room, so a general gist of Who is around Who typically suffices in order to understand that one must be in a certain area to talk to X but won't be around Y because of it. The point of the entire thing was to say, in a combat scenario in particular, it comes up more the importance of understanding positioning and such, especially for the characters that have a less direct role. I've already given examples of this with the differences in our "Area of Effect" attacks, Salty has given you one with his assassination, if you want more... Consider what you're saying by there not being an open expanse between the bandits and our party. If there's not an open space, suddenly (1) our frontline engagement isn't moving to meet them (2) I'm shooting near our front line with explosives and you with your spells (3) the enemy's frontline would have effectively been right in the faces of the support line of archers and casters and they would have been right in the melee, because these individuals failed to moved back, but rather stood there and just took their aggressive actions for the round. TIt should also be considered that by also them not being in an open expanse, our archers and such likely should not have had a clear sight because the enemies would have been able to use the treeline to provide themselves cover.

If you read nothing else, read this:

You're behaving like a demeaning jackass with how you're talking to others, @Silvir. And I find it a bit dickish that when being explained as to why people have TROUBLES WITH PARTICULAR PLAY STYLES and are EXPRESSING THEIR OPINIONS AND PREFERENCES, you are on the attack because it doesn't make sense to you and your particular preferences or your visualization of things. But yeah, okay. Let's continue to go back and forth at each others' throats. When we're all using our imagination in a game of fictional collaborative writing where we all have our own ideas, interpretations and preferences, this sounds really productive and like it'll get us far.
That sweet taste of blunt honesty. No seriously this is very helpful for me to rein in my own personality flaws. especially when im the cause of things turning sour.

To start of sorry about the previous post being the way it was. I for some stupid reason rushed it out before leaving home instead of waiting with replying. :/

And to @T_T Salty i also apologize it was the way you phrased it that got me confused. I understand what you meant, but the way it was put forward did not feel logical and well i practically have a compulsive behavior on geting it worded so that it makes sense even if i understand it. Im sorry you got caught in that. I am usually able to keep that from happening. :(

That sweet taste of blunt honesty. No seriously this is very helpful for me to rein in my own personality flaws. especially when im the cause of things turning sour.

To start of sorry about the previous post being the way it was. I for some stupid reason rushed it out before leaving home instead of waiting with replying. :/

And to @T_T Salty i also apologize it was the way you phrased it that got me confused. I understand what you meant, but the way it was put forward did not feel logical and well i practically have a compulsive behavior on geting it worded so that it makes sense even if i understand it. Im sorry you got caught in that. I am usually able to keep that from happening. :(

It's fine. I'm Autistic. So I have trouble communicating with words. I thought I had word it in a way that was understandable. I mostly stayed out of it because when I feel attacked, I would say some not nice things and didn't want the argument to explode.

Reactions: Dovahkiin
Alright, so we're all just gonna chill out and relax and read this little thing, that's from all the way back in the first post

Since RP's are a creative collaborative effort, I understand that there can be frustrating aspects of an RP, such as things not going your way or just general disagreements between players. And while I am certainly sympathetic to such feelings. I wish to remind you that this is a internet Roleplaying forum, so there is no reason to actually get angry. So lets all take a chill pill and work through any minor frustrations that might come along.
Now after reading that, if you're still having feelings of intense frustration/anxiety/general unpleasantness, I totally understand and implore you to go out for a little bit and hang out with friends, get a few drinks, try to get some tail. Whatever fun non-internet thing it is you do to get some perspective on life and whats important. Because, to be honest, I had read a few things from here early this morning and was dreading writing this, trying to mend relations and make sure everyone is happy. Because I generally don't like OOC fighting, I've seen it before in another RP where I watch close friends tear each other apart. So seeing it at all these days makes me very uncomfortable.

But then I worked a 13 hour shift today and got punched in the jaw at the bar by a cunt who didn't get his beer within five seconds and I had to put him out before he glassed me in the eyes. So now I have some perspective and realize this is my hobby, not my life.

So now I will do my best to answer any of your questions and hopefully we can all move along and get some posts up. Props to Grothnor for getting a good post up, thanks bud.

I mean, what do you want me to do with a stealth assassin? Run up and kill people like a warrior. I am not sure I understand what you're saying.

It's like any DnD session, Rogue with stealth attack, stealth attacks.
All I meant that the writing was going in the direction of encouraging spamming attacks rather than looking at things in a more tactical light and I didn't want to do that. Don't get me wrong, spamming attacks is probably preferable for straight up fighters and archers. But I don't want our more precise players to feel left out on all the murder and glory.
Now then. =^.^=
While i do enjoy the Dice concept, something that i find refreshing in the writing to hold back certain... Power trips.
I also find that it is a difficult system to implement in an RP as it's Roleplaying but at the same time collaborative writing.
Where all participants has to at some level come to agreement on what level the story is being written on.

How much realism do we have?
What kind of tropes do we want?
What limitations apply when we write things?

Since these are all currently vague right now the Dice system becomes too unpredictable. And can in many ways twist the intended writing of one PC when the dice has been rolled. Leaving a certain atmosphere of dissatisfaction.
To me at this moment it looks like it would work better as a karma system based on what actions we decide our characters should take in certain situations. If too out of character and to unlikely to succeed then a dice could decide the fate of that decision.

Of course that is what i see right now looking at what has currently happened so my perspective is limited.
For example in the beginning when we started going trough character creation. It was mentioned that our characters where above average or the crème of the crop. Yet the dice right now can make even seasoned characters look like complete beginners. Which then begs the question of where we are on the spectrum of writing a fun story together or just doing a straight down DnD session forum style.

-"Now if you're wondering if I rolled anything for Otto. Lol no. He's insanely strong and there is really no reason to roll for him. I think this is the only time he will ever fight directly by your side so don't rely on him."
I can understand this from a writing perspective but from the dice perspective that makes no sense at all since that creates a weird balance for characters PC and NPC.
:3
I wanna emphasis before anything else that this is about the writing more than anything else. I don't want a totally DnD session. To me the writing on every level is what is important to me and I will alter things based on how that is effected. Now I utilize dice for three reasons, two of them are good. They are:
1.) I've been using dice for post-by-post RP's since I was in highschool, its basically what I grew up playing. (this is the not so good reason)
2.) it prevents players from power tripping and slaughtering hundreds of enemies or some other animu-tier act (you have to earn your weeaboo privileges)
3.) It offers randomization and gives tension to the player. As a person who has fought with swords and done fencing and all that stuff. This shit is hard and even very skilled fighters fuck up. It encourages smart plays because in the back of the players mind they're thinking "if I fail, i'm going to get immensely fucked up" Now that feeling of unease goes way up when character death is introduced but I'm not willing to go that far just yet.

Now in terms of realism, tropes and limitations. I honestly feel that question was already answered by your posts. I know that with all the fuss getting kicked up there are some issues. But in all honesty, all of your posts were perfect. I was so excited to read them all because they were what I wanted. I didn't read a single one and go "get that Bleach/Naruto garbage off my RP" Every post was fun and wanted to engage in combat that probably wasn't all too realistic. But realistic enough to make it seem believable to the average reader. I loved them all. This is a medieval society with some magic fireballs thrown in. So everything is supposed to be more believable with a dash of the fantastic, and everything went so well.

Now as this RP goes on, the realism and your more realistic limitations will start to blur as you get more powerful and encounter more whacky things. But even in those future scenarios it'll be based in a reality where these things aren't normal. In this RP a group of 12 people beat thousands. THAT'S NOT NORMAL and I think that's what makes these more fantastical events have more meaning.

Also I don't hate the karma system, but I'm frankly too stubborn to remove dice from the equation (for the most part) And it is true that our group is well above average, that's what the dice modifiers are for, our characters natural skill with things can usually turn a shitty fuckup of a roll into a good roll or even a crit. Majority of NPC's in this world are shitty at pretty much everything. Your characters aren't however. ur spechal. But even super special awesome people fuckup. And in the case of a bad roll like anything below a 5, there isn't much one can do. Which means that's your character is gonna fuck up occasionally.
This basically sums up my ideas/thoughts on it. :) I have no qualms about utilizing a dice system, but it seems a bit lackluster given the proverbial advantages/disadvantages given to certain characters and not to others. If we are going to use such a system, with perhaps some refinement, I would like to have more information on how Jeanna, say, got a +6 but others only got +3 or +4.
As I said before, everything is subjective on my end and is by no means a perfect system. But if someone ever feels like I'm giving their char shit modifiers constantly or maybe is getting the short end of the stick, pm me and we can figure out the issue.

Now I wish to emphasis that these modifiers aren't set in stone and are dependent upon the combat scenario, environment and type of enemy. Chars like Jeanna get a +6 because in what is basically an open brawl of a combat scenario of drunken bandits blindly charging, she excels. Her whole character specializes in combat and nothing else. She doesn't have to worry as much about the dice because her combat modifier will generally get her out of any jam. But in most social situation, such as the banquet, she is basically completely at the mercy of the Die.

Other characers only got a +3 or +4 because it seemed that this kinda of drunken, shitty, bloody, open brawl doesn't suite them as much. Characters like Coby and Nuit especially would not do well in such scenarios. Even a character like Selia, who is a fighter. doesn't receive as much in this combat scenario due to her general blindness and her difficulty in more crowded environments, which this certainly was for a brief time.

Now once again I wish to reiterate that people will have questions regarding why their chars got different modifiers for various reasons. While I don't mind you PM'ing me, if you have a steam, just add me and ask whatever questions or concern you have. My steam ID is Tycho128, so just add me if you feel like it.

It's not even a difference of opinion. I was attacked for two fundamentally different mechanics of writing.

I need to know where my allies are;

In DnD sessions we go

"Well Regard is a paladin so he'll be in the front"

"My Orc Barbarian will be right beside him"

"The Bard will be in the center behind them then"

"While my Mage will hang back"

"The Rogue will be in the middle then"

and then we also know where the enemies are from us

"Oh that bandit is 15 feet away from you"

so you know you can either make a double move or you have to take three turns to get there

We also know where and who is attacking what

"Paladin attacked the bandit in front of him"

"How do I get around not being seen"

"You're out of so and so line of sight"

I need to know;

-Where everyone is positioned
-What distance the enemy is away from us
-Who has a line of sight
-Who doesn't
-How far it will take to get there
-What is the best route to take
-What the terrain is like

All the factors that encompass a battle mechanic.
In a DnD scenario. Oh god, you are absolutely right. But in the post-by-post RP. Everything is very loosey-goosey for a reason. Because having everyone on the same page for a visualization is hard. Positions are broad brushes. "He went out and charged" "She stayed in the back and shot an arrow" "He hid behind the thing and cast a spell."

Distance is not even a thing unless it is noted by the GM. Generally unless otherwise noted, you can write about running up to the an enemy and performing an attack.

Line of sight isn't even a thing because in DnD, you have a clear picture of where everything is and how to avoid your character's blind spot. The majority of forum rps can't have that because it would sound like this.

"the orc hit you in the back of the head with an ax because you're a total fucking dumbass and didn't notice the enemy i didn't write about until now sneak up on you and kill you because you were too busy fighting the two enemies in front of you that I took the time to visualize for you. Gee wasn't that fun?"

I will never do that. Due to the limitations of the post-by-post rp, the enemy will almost always be more up front with you. The only real exception is if an ambushed is set up. Which in that case it effects everyone and is just me setting up a dickish set piece that you can get out of. But I will never have an enemy you don't or can't know about blindside you. I will never go "and then the arrow from the rear that you totally would have notice in a D&D game and prepared for comes out a kills you, gg... bitch"

As for Terrain, I will specify what the terrain is. I didn't really do that in the last post which seemed to be at least somewhat the cause of the fighting. I will do a better job as GM to give you a better description of what the area is like. It seems I succeeded in the banquet section but was found wanting here. I will fix that.

Also if you have questions about terrain or about aspects of a battle you have trouble understanding, don't pm me. Post it here! That way when I answer a question everyone knows.

Basically you really don't need to be extremely technical. You don't need to know exactly where your standing or what your position is. Other than across from you is the enemy; how are you gonna go fucking murder them? Where is the caravan? Why it's right there! Yes there! You can go to it and do snekky stuff. You wanna flank someone? Literally type, "and while he's fighting the paladin, I run to his side to getting a flanking strike in his rib"

And I promise you, I freaking promising you. I'm not gonna make some condescending generic nerd snort "nheh, you can't do that because you are two tiles too far to make a strike at that enemy. do something else"

All I'm gonna do is roll a die to see if you hit or not, add a modifier and see where we go from there :)

Holy shit, I feel like none of what I just typed made any sense or actually did anything valuable. But I hope it did and I hope some things are smoothed out. I really do. I know I didn't fix everything or answer all the questions. But I just wanted to put my foot down remind us all that we're here to have some fun, and write a story. I hope you're all liking the story so far. I know I am because I see some very cool characters that I'm looking forward to putting in some cool scenarios and stuff.

I had more to say, but I'm tired and my jaw hurts. I hope this wasn't all some insane rant from a GM who has lost his mind. But I'll wake up tomorrow and find out.

Have a good night <3

Last edited:
@Slade

But it is possible to have a visual rough representation next time of the battle scenario?

<-----I will admit, I am Mr. Details and Technical. So sometimes I run around in circles and obsess over details.

But next time I will ask questions here.

And I suggest next time, We as Members discuss battle strategy here in the OOC.

Reactions: Slade and Silvir
@Slade

But it is possible to have a visual rough representation next time of the battle scenario?

<-----I will admit, I am Mr. Details and Technical. So sometimes I run around in circles and obsess over details.

But next time I will ask questions here.

And I suggest next time, We as Members discuss battle strategy here in the OOC.
Hmm that is a good idea and furthering on that how about we try to RP that discussion? I know my character will be uneasy about using more powerful spells as long as she doesn't know where she has her friends. So it could be an in character discussion that we also partly do here in OOC. o.o
Would be a great chance for characters to start bonding as well to slowly form into a team. :3

Hmm that is a good idea and furthering on that how about we try to RP that discussion? I know my character will be uneasy about using more powerful spells as long as she doesn't know where she has her friends. So it could be an in character discussion that we also partly do here in OOC. o.o
Would be a great chance for characters to start bonding as well to slowly form into a team. :3

I like this idea

Reactions: Slade
Hey @Silvir now that I've gotten an abundance of sleep and cooled down from all the shit I was dealing with the other day, figured I should extend an apology to you. I did get a bit more heated than intended there and used you as a vent for a lot of what wasn't even your fault. You just managed to be that straw that broke the camels back. To convey my sincerity here where I'm extending a hand to make peace... I won't even post a joke about being too much of a lone wolf to be in y'alls team. :3

• Love
Reactions: Silvir and Slade
May I make a request could we have an index for our characters? I'm struggling to find peoples sheets when I need to have a glance at them

May I make a request could we have an index for our characters? I'm struggling to find peoples sheets when I need to have a glance at them
I think there is one. On the first page in the OOC, there's a "Cast of Heroes" tab. Should be links to everyone's characters there. (:

• Useful
  • Thank You
Reactions: Sir Salty and Slade
I think there is one. On the first page in the OOC, there's a "Cast of Heroes" tab. Should be links to everyone's characters there. (:
I'm sorry I'm losing it. That's embarrassing. I have had a long week.

You can alway collab with somebody to help you get things moving if you're having problems :)

Dova and I are working on a Copost

• Useful
Reactions: Silvir and Slade
Hey guys, just wanted to check in and see who is gonna be posting this round? Hoping to do an IC update sometime this week :3

Hey guys, just wanted to check in and see who is gonna be posting this round? Hoping to do an IC update sometime this week :3

Me and Dova are slowly chipping away at our copost. Give us sometime. Dova will speak when she feels willing to do so.

Reactions: Slade
Status
Not open for further replies.