Thegoria™: A New World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actually being like...well...85% serious. I did get wounded by a blunt spear about...a little over an hour ago and it scraped the fuck out of my chest. A little harder and it would probably be bleeding. The dude almost stabbed my throat too in round...4 I think it was...yes. Round 4.

Holy Crap! Okay, martial arts practice, or you're in a crazy Renaissance group that actually uses live weapons, like SCA, or something!
How close am I with this? Cause, really, those are the places I get end up gaining crazy injuries. :)

Little bit of both actually. I practice with blunted weapons and shields using viking tactics. Lots of bruises are involved. Last week I got stabbed in the face with an ax. A couple of centimeters up and I would have a black eye. Few centimeters to the right and I would have a broken nose.

Quite fun actually.

Nice! I'm training under long sword for The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) myself. Had a few shallow stabs and enough bruises to have family and friends call the cops on my husband cause they thought he was the cause of them. HA!, had them all when I expressed that instead there were a group of people beating me up on a daily basis - and I liked it!

And while we're clogging up the thread, (all due apologies to the GM), who else that signed up to this RP is still around?

I'm still here. And I take a Warrior Arts class at school with a professional LARPer/ sword fighting instructor. My right hand is always covered in bruises (the swords we use don't have crossguards) so I feel your pain :P

But yeah, I'm just lazing around waiting for this to start.

Reactions: Phi Chisym
I'm still hear and I wish I was in a sword fighting thing. Like Spartacus I think I would kick some ass xD

My most dire threats are spears and daneaxes. I dont have a sword yet as it is hard to find someone who selling blunt viking swords. I would not mind though practicing with an english longsword and fighting with both hands. But just about everything else outside of chainmail is easy to get. I made my own leather bracers and gonna make gauntlets at some point. In the meantime i am letting a hockey glove do. I should make another pair of bracers and a shield though. In hindsight i am disappointed with the positioning of the straps on my bracer and also want a slightly broader shield. Mine is just larger than a buckler.

Hello, is a spot avaible ?
This roleplay sounds quite interesting if yes, then I would like to be part of it. I already have, like two character in my mind, are no't well defined but is still in work. I think in a couple of hours might be ready. I know, I am new and everything, but I promise that I won't disappoint you.​

My most dire threats are spears and daneaxes. I dont have a sword yet as it is hard to find someone who selling blunt viking swords. I would not mind though practicing with an english longsword and fighting with both hands. But just about everything else outside of chainmail is easy to get. I made my own leather bracers and gonna make gauntlets at some point. In the meantime i am letting a hockey glove do. I should make another pair of bracers and a shield though. In hindsight i am disappointed with the positioning of the straps on my bracer and also want a slightly broader shield. Mine is just larger than a buckler.
My sword fighting instructor actually makes heavy-duty plastic swords and sells them. I use one 3 days a week. They're pretty balanced. If you want me to, I can see if he has a website or something. I don't know if you want something realistic though.

All the swords and weapons in my practice are steel.

Also they frown upon using anything high fantasy ish. They actually told me if I am going to draw something like Captain america or shit like that they would break it. As a half-serious joke.

That's understandable. My group only specializes in realistic, period weapons and attire. Higher level swordsmen actually learn how to forge their weapons as well as fight with them, using old methods too. They seriously frown upon fake weapons; everything has to be certified steel, well balanced and set for sharpening. We train blunt until a certain level, then they sharpen to a certain degree for higher levels that fight live steel in full armor.

But it makes since, cause most of SCA is associated with national and international renaissance reenactment groups. They train thespians for that sort of work. I know two guys from our Dallas area who hung with us in the Fort Hood area; they worked for Medieval Times while in college, using their certification from SCA to fight life steel and jousting. Thought that was awesome. I'm just in it to become a certified artisan in song and craft (seamstress and tapestry), but my martial arts friends got me into the fighting training when they started teaching long sword. I so suck at it, but I'm having a blast. I'm better at dueling with bo staff and short swords: single with melee, or double.

I am okay in a phalanx shield like.

I've never worked with shield before. Do they have like set techniques that you train in shield, similar to forms for sword techniques and such?

The shield is a rather crucial part of the training. Yes. All trainees must own a shield which I technically still am though I have been with the group for a few months now.

Most of the people use shields when they aren't using a spear or a daneax but there are those who sometimes dual wield. Usually it's a sword and ax in right and left but there is at least one that has two axes. Some use Sword and Seax and some two seaxes but the shield is the most popular. There hasn't been specific training for shield other than where to keep it positioned and how much you should move it. I have had the unfortunate brainfarting moment where I turn and the shields move and I get a spear in the belly.

But last practice we practiced using the shield in such a manner to manuver an enemy blow away from you and then pin the arm to the opponent so you can kill him. We never use the shield as a weapon though but there have been two occasions where I have been struck by one. Once in the mouth.

There is only one dude in practice that uses an a-typical sword. He uses a sabre and FUCK this dude. That curved sword is fucking elusive as hell as he can more easily come around the shield and stab you in the shoulder or rib.

Anyway. The group isn't really that artistic about it. It's basically they teach you the basics for about a month (twice a week) and then you get to spar and you figure most of the rest yourself.

• Thank You
Well at my school they frown upon metal weapons... and I'm more into the fantasy side anyway. It was just a thought.

We do technique and sparring twice a week, and war games on Fridays. Sadly, the some elementary school kids play with us. And those kids know worse language than I do o.O

We haven't gotten to shields yet, but some people are using spears right now. I kinda suck at all of it but for me it's more about stress relief. Nothing relieves tension better than whacking someone else with a foam covered stick :D

So true! Nothing make me feel.better than having steel against steel bashing against each other in total epic frenzy.

Somethign that I hope to go to at some point

• Love
ajax-loader.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.