The wrong castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't." She said honestly. There was no way she could truthfully say she trusted him. "But you know your way in this world and have been more truthful to me in the minutes that we've crossed paths than any of my advisors in a full year."

Her face was serious. She would hire him, for one she would be able to see if what he said was true, and secondly the one thing her father did teach her was that sometimes it was important to keep your enemies close by. And until she was certain he wouldn't kill her, that technically made him her enemy. "You require a place to be safe if you do not wish to die, and I require someone who is willing to aid me in my quest of taking down whoever it is that is messing with my nation. If that someone is you, we can make a business deal."

Ryan smiled as he listened to the black haired woman's words, his sympathy for the woman grew ever so slightly. He couldn't believe in the level of generosity the woman had, to spare the life of the man who was supposed to kill you was more than generous.

To him this was a perfect opportunity to get out of the business he wanted to get out for quite a while now.
"I highly appreciate the offer and I agree to any of the terms you have. I ask nothing of you in return but the safety you're already providing me with."

Ryan slowly knelt on one of his knees as a sign of respect for the woman. "Thank you for sparing my life and saving it at the same time as well. I shall serve you with all my strength and skill." He told her, bowing his head humbly and closing his eyes.

Seated on her throne, Mourina looked at the man. This deal could go wrong in so many ways. Ways that were best left unthought of for the idea of them would probably scare her off her own plan.
"You shall have immunity, none of my men shall lay a finger on you. In return you will aid me in bringing rest to my nation in anyway that is possible. You are to advise me, listen to my plans and help me improve them, as well as provide me with the knowledge I need to make a way in this world. Should you break our deal in any way, such as by harming me, or abandoning post, your immunity and my forgiveness will be revoked, and the hunt for your head be made public news." She got up and crouched down near him. "Now please, get up. Seeing people on their knees always gets me nervous."

Like she didn't have enough to be nervous about, a door swung open and sure enough, one of the security guards came in, expecting, and interpreting, the worst. Somehow the sight of her low on the ground in front of a stranger must have looked bad, because next thing she knew was seeing him grab for his gun.
"No!" Mourina called out, getting up and coming between the two. "You are not to harm him as he is in my service." Her voice was harsher now, compared to before. "He was to come into my house, unseen, and he succeeded. Now what does that tell you about our security? What if an assassin had tried the same and killed me in cold blood, half an hour before you would even notice it." She spoke fast, at a rapid, almost harsh tone. "Find your leaks and patch them up before round two." She need not say another word as the guard nodded quick and scrambled his way out.
When the man had left she let her tense shoulders go. "Sorry about that."

"You truly are amazing.." Ryan told her as he slowly stood up, his eyes gazing into hers steadily. Even though she knew that he was supposed to kill her she decided to spare his life and give him safety and next to all that, she decided to jump in between him and the gun that was being pointed at him a couple of seconds ago.
"I shall do everything that you ask of me without any complains. I will follow your lead even if it lead me into certain death." He told her as he bowed his head down in humbleness.
A second later his black eyes moved back up and steadily gazed into hers.
"You're unbelievably attractive when harsh by the way." He complimented as he smiled, his eyes closing as he did.
"Thanks for saving my life there.. I owe you so much. I can't believe you actually stood up for me, the person who was supposed to assassinate you." He told her, opening his eyes afterwards and looking back at her.

"You really are an amazing person."

Now that most of her had gone back to normal, the rain of good words made her blush. "Please don't shower me in such compliments, it unnerves me." Or rather, it just made her feel uneasy. Kind of in the same way as how public displays of affection tended to make people uneasy. Never the less a smile did play through the redness of her cheeks.
"And when I say I would grant you immunity, that means I would let my guards shoot you a moment later." She paused for a moment. "Though I suppose you were in luck that this wasn't our best trained man, or he would have taken you down before I could stand."

With blue eyes she looked at him. "If I am to work with you, I would like to know your name." She brushed a lock of hair behind her ears that had come loose when she had moved quick to defend him. "And if you have a place to spend the night."

Ryan smiled as he noticed the woman's cheeks turn a shade lighter which went great with her pale skin. His black eyes sneakily scanned her beautifully expressed facial lines as she addressed him but he still payed attention. "My name is Ryan Your Highness, it is an honor to meet you and be in your service." The black haired man introduced himself in well manners, bowing his head afterwards as a sign of respect.
"I have my own home which is down below, in the city outskirts but.. I'm afraid if I venture out of this mansion right now, without the task being done I shall not live to see the day after tomorrow." He told her, raising his head and looking into her lunar blue eyes.
"It would be for the best if I was to stay here, if you don't mind. We have no idea if there will be more of assassins incoming and you have no guards in this room. I could guard the balcony and with that the only blind spot and the easiest point of entry of the mansion."

Mourina nodded. "Going home would indeed not be a wise choice. But I can not ask of you to remain at a window all night. Sleep is important. I will have my guards patrol more frequent, and tomorrow I would like it if you could inform the head of security about what you know, where the problems or faults in the system are. But if you wish to stay here this night instead of in a guest room, you are welcome to it."
She walked down the large hall towards the main exit. "You can call me Mourina. It would be nice to hear my name for a change instead of formal titles."
Mourina turned back after two steps. "So would you prefer to be here, or shall I have one of the rooms readied?"

"I appreciate your concern but your life is more important than a couple of hours of sleep. I shall be fine since I spent the whole day sleeping and preparing for this very night." Ryan told her as he smiled. "Don't worry, I will not disturb you in any manner possible. It'll feel like I'm not even here but you shouldn't worry as I will protect you." Ryan told her, bowing his head respectfully after being done. "That is, of course, if Your... Mourina wants it." He lifted his head up sightly to look at her. He knew how easily they could dispatch another assassin by the end of the night and if he left the room to go sleep she wouldn't be protected. The next one would probably be even more skilled than Ryan and protecting her while away, in the other room was not possible.

Silently Mourina looked at him as he spoke, and remained silent a little while longer after that, her head tilted slightly towards the side. "How are you so willing to throw away your old life and ready to give yours for a person you were supposed to kill?" She pondered out loud. Straightening herself up she nodded. "Very well, stand or sit where you wish. I will have the guards informed of your presence so they won't try and throw you out while on patrol." She said with a smile. There would be an intercom to inform the head of security right around the door of this room, so she would be able to do that as she went to her sleeping quarters. "Now if it's all the same to you, I'm in a bit of a need to sleep, I haven't been sleeping during the day after all." Mourina spoke with a growing smile on her face.
Without waiting for a direct reply, she turned around and walked towards the exit of the throne room, the heels of her shoes clicking in a steady rhythm against the stone floor as she went.

"Let's just say I've found a new hope to fight for.. before it was just sheer survival now.. I see I can be a part of something better, bigger. I've spent my whole life helping the wrong cause.. you helped me realize that." Ryan told her as he bowed his head down in humbleness. "I won't stand in the way of your guard, they won't even know that I'm here anyways. Also, worry not, I shall keep you protected. May you sleep soundly." Ryan told her as he once again bowed his head down in respect.
He watched as the black haired woman made her way towards her sleeping chambers, waiting for her to enter before he made his way back out onto the balcony. He climbed back up and sat down to overview both the mansion and the smoky horizon. The night was still pretty young and there was plenty of time for another attack, he needed to be on full alert.

Tilting her head slightly Mourina looked at the stranger that she had just hired. Odd. She had expected someone to some day send an assassin at her, which is why she had the guards patrolling so often. She had expected to have to take a stand for what she believed. She even expected she would make a few enemies along the way that didn't want what she desired. But to find someone who was sent to kill her, and then hiring that person to help her achieve her goals and give this person a brand new reason to fight? No, regardless of the amount of scenarios she had spun in her black haired head, she would never have been able to make up that one.
Smiling she nodded. "Very well. I will wish you a good, and hopefully peaceful night. Should the need arise, my room is easily found. It's the most ornately decorated door there is in this hallway." She said, a laugh following her words. It was like her ancestors had almost purposefully painted a target right at their bedroom door, expecting nothing would ever happen to them.
With that she left the room and went to her own. If he said he would likely go unnoticed to her own guards, then she wouldn't inform them of his presence. It would just make them more jumpy. And jumpy guards were not very good for one's sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.