The Wild World

R

Revision

Original poster
The Wild World

Discuss, ponder, and ask for advice on creatures, primitive cultures and languages, and tribal societies. Link useful resources or interesting articles.

Seventh Sanctum has a boatload of useful generators, but their Beings and Creatures category is especially helpful for getting ideas for humanoid races.

Re: Languages

Did you know that a large amount of the world's languages use some form of "mama" and "papa"? That's because they're some of the easiest words for babies to say - you don't need teeth! So if your humanoid characters' babies are saying "zvritch" as their first words, You're Doing It Wrong! Anything else? ;) I'm not a language expert, but I love languages and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Let's talk languages!

Reactions: 1 person

Having everyone speak a common language, while easier is usually unrealistic. While there's nothing wrong with not creating words, it still should be noted that people A speak a different language then people B. bonus points if you say people C speak a "corrupt" version of Bs language. Unless you're talking to C people who say its Bs who have degraded theirs.

Also dead languages are not only fun just for prophecies and old libraries!

When it comes to naming places and things I use rare languages (or languages not commonly seen) such as Estonian, Ukrainian, Icelandic, Azeri etc etc. I've found that the spelling styles of Latvian and Lithuanian are very...unique which lend themselves well to alien names!

When trying to find a name for my world Revi said to use anagrams and she was right. Put some words together then make some non-sense anagrams and you can come up with some amazing names. Also I found this word mixer. http://unique-names.com/word-mixer.php

I have certain languages that I've associated with certain races for naming customs and bits of words. It actually started with Warcraft (don't judge me! D:<)

Humans: Old English
Elves: Nordic and Germanic languages (in WoW terms, Old Norse for Night Elves and German for Blood Elves)
Undead: Greek/Latin ("Classical" or "dead" languages)
Trolls: Tribal or island-culture languages (Polynesian, African, etc.)
Orcs: Slavic languages

And for WoW-specific races:

Draenei: Indian/Pakistani
Tauren: Native American (Yes I realize Tauren are basically just minotaurs, but I'd be more likely to give minotaurs Icelandic names or something.)

And yes, I realize that Warcraft has its own languages. I didn't give a damn. I named my first character Fjorlief. D:<

Of course, this being said, my very first fantasy world that I built was based on super-corrupted Gaelic mixed with nonsense.

Hmm, the one made-up language that I've really bothered to develop is basically an off-shoot of the languages I already know or have been exposed to (Spanish, Latin and French in order from best-known to least known). I chose to off-shoot from them because to me they are the easiest ones to make flow. The way I've set it up is so that there are some letter combinations that can be pronounced in different ways, thus creating dialects/accents of the language. Elision is also a (mostly) optional thing that can occur in my made-up language to create a slower/faster dialect (sort of like the difference in speaking speed between English in the southern US and the northern US)

Example sentence: Mora máscima entri turne ê venticatru hore. (Slower speaker)
Mora máscima entri turn'ê venticatr'hore. (Quicker speaker: One should note here that in both cases the h is silent, which is why the elision is possible to begin with.)
English: The maximum delay between turns is 24 hours.

I also have some distinction between the older stuff I did in it and the newer stuff, allowing for a distinction between old/modern periods of the language. This is due to the fact that I altered some things and regularized noun-endings. This is sort of in line with a thing I read on language in TOK about how over time languages tend to regularize and simplify as to avoid having to deal with errors and to facilitate pronunciation (hence why we have a bunch of silent k's in words like knight, knot, etc.).

Older Acqua-ish: Trabayator cansatu por tre díe trabayatta sin parari. (The tired worker worked without stopping for three days)
Newer Acqua-ish: Trabayadori cansadu por/po' tre díe trabayatta sini parari.

For the world I'm working on, the names are a combination of off-shoots from Greek and Latin as well as stuff I made up xD.

Awesome link of the day: http://talesofamalthea.com/

It's a 'design course' for otherworldly critters and they are doing it in a world exploratory/building sort of thing. Pretty cool. Maybe someone will have use for it. ^^