FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Usually every day, but I often don't like posting every day.
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
Genres
Fantasy, modern fantasy, high fantasy, romance, slice of life, sci-fi, grimdark, light fandoms (next gen, non canon chars, etc)
Smoke and the smell of alcohol wafted through the air of the small inn as Zuriel attempted to block out the sound of raucous chatter from the many bar patrons. It was evening, meaning workers were done for the day and were out for drinks. Music played in the corner from a small group of bards, but were mostly overshadowed by yelling and cheering.

This inn had become Zuriel's place of residence for the past few years when he wasn't on the road. It was where people found him and requested his services for work. The small town of Pendle was central to the continent, and small enough that his work wouldn't be lost to the crowds. It was known that the angel had made his home at the inn, and often adventurers would come and ask him for assistance. He didn't always help people, and only did if he was certain it would involve needing to get rid of evil relics or people. Necromancers and undead were common enough for him, as were cult leaders and lesser demons. Rarely did he attack anything larger when he was with other adventurers, as he didn't need his identity to be broadcast to everyone. He was supposed to keep a low profile about his true self, which is what he did.

Zuriel was an archangel, but paraded around as a simple cherub. To those in the inn and those who requested his help, he was Theliel, a rogue cherub who would help those in need for the right price. He muted his powers for his own sake, and followed the instructions of his god. He took his work seriously, despite its degrading nature, and followed the instructions to the letter. Of course, not everyone had to know such things.

Business had been slow as of late, and as Zuriel drank from his mug of water, he counted out his coins in a small leather pouch. He didn't have much of a need for money, and it indeed somewhat confused him, but humans existed for it. He needed it for his lodgings, which was the smallest, cheapest room in the inn, as well as any items he would need in his adventures. While he rarely went on any by himself, the occasional evil relic would pop up and need to be taken care of.

With a sharp sigh, the angel shoved the coins back into his shirt, eyes peering around the room. No thoughts of the patrons were jumping out at him, and they were the usual fare of these types of humans. It had been a dull day of nothing. With a final swig of the water, Zuriel made a move to stand, but was stopped by someone who entered his sphere. Someone who sounded slightly angry and violent, with thoughts of revenge. He heard his cherub name come through, and he sat back down. Thoughts like that meant somebody was looking for him, whether it be good or bad.

@Mars Walker

Theliel...What kind of dirty angel resides in a tavern?

The only thoughts residing in Galla's restless mind were ones she'd been focusing on for years. Her very soul was committed to finding the angel who'd murdered her parents, and it wouldn't rest until they were dead.
Galla knew she was crazy to want to take on an angel, merely being a human, but she was determined to try. She hadn't trained her whole life as a Paladin for nothing- she planned on using her strength and knowledge to do what needed to be done. She didn't care who she had to go through to achieve her goal, just as long as she got her revenge. No blood was too pure for her blade.
She had only just recently shocked her peers by leaving the kingdom's army, and the pain of leaving something she actually had enjoyed doing was still fresh, but still, Galla's heart and soul needed to be poured into her revenge.

She stood outside a rowdy tavern in a small town, her intense and icy eyes gazing up at the building's sign, and her thoughts permeating through her exterior demeanor. Her very presence was enough to chill ones bones, and her dented, dirty paladin's armor was a tell-tale sign of her violent tendencies.

Galla stepped to the tavern's door and roughly pushed it open with her gloved fist, scrunching her nose up at the smell of smoke and rowdy men. For a moment the music died down and several patrons turned to give Galla look, before deciding that she might be too much trouble to handle and resuming their loud partying. She scanned the crowd of folks slowly with her ever-intense icy eyes, looking like a woman who knew exactly what - or whom - she was looking for. She had heard of a cherub in the area and she'd been told she could probably find him at a tavern in town. Galla knew for a fact that there was no way a 'rogue cherub' would roam the lands and just help people with a smile- if that were the case, the world might actually be a better place. Or at least the area he worked would be. But no, Galla was confident that any rogue angelic creature would be 'taken care of'.

Her eyes met those of whom she could only guess was Theliel. He looked like he'd been caught red-handed. It was a little easy to tell that he was different from most humans, he was much to beautiful to even be compared to the men of her own race, who tended to look like they'd never heard of hygiene. But Theliel looked well-groomed, like a prince of sorts.

However pretty Theliel was, Galla could only see him as a dirty, hypocritical creature. She'd grown to associate all religious things and creatures with Zuriel, whom she naturally hated with a passion.

"You," She spoke in a low voice, and made her way over to Theliel, her frown growing deeper the closer she got to him "I'm highly against enlisting your help, but I need it." Her first words to him were brief, for it was obvious that she wanted as little to do with the angel as possible.

"I'm not taking no for an answer." Galla growled, her words sharper than a blade.

Just as he thought, a woman walked through the doors, gave him a dirty look, and approached him. Her demands were made clear, that she needed his help despite not wanting it. With a deeper read of her surface thoughts, he could see what exactly she wanted. Vengeance clouded her mind, vengeance for family. The perpetrator... Himself, it seemed. Digging deeper, he couldn't quite make out anything past the anger and hatred. He would have to speak with her directly.

"I see." He nodded lightly. "I see you want revenge, though not against just anyone. Against my own kind." He paused, looking her over. "I might be able to help you. My services are not free, as you may know." He continued, watching her movements as well as her expressions. He wasn't the best at reading human emotions, but he could at least get some sense of her.

"Apologies, a habit." He explained for his telepathy. "However, what you would be asking of me would be high treason. I am not fallen and I would intend to keep it that way." He was silent for a short while, obviously in thought. He would of course take this job, he had to find out who she was and who he had killed that would cause her to be so driven. Obviously it was someone who deserved it, or he wouldn't still be pure. In the case that this person was evil, he would have to take care of it as well.

"In order for me to accept this, because despite what you might think you cannot make me come with you, we will need to work out a payment in which at least three quarters must be paid up front. For me to assess payment, I need to hear details. If you would like to keep it quiet, I have a room here. If not, please sit, have a drink if you like."

Galla's eyes narrowed at Theliel, she could almost make out his telepathic presence in her mind. She didn't care what he found in her thoughts, mostly because there wasn't much but her need for revenge. Galla was quiet while he prodded he clouded mind, and remained quiet as he spoke, wanting to hear his terms and requirements.

He made it known that he knew what she wanted, but it surprised her when he said he might actually be able to help, despite it being high treason- though she really didn't care how her request affected him in the slightest. Galla wouldn't hesitate to cause more angels than Theliel to become fallen, and if she were to be honest, she truly thought the whole concept of the angelic hierarchy was a bunch of hypocrisy.

If God were truly kind, he wouldn't have left me an orphan. If God cared, he wouldn't let a lot of shitty things happen. Screw heaven. And Theliel, if you read my mind again, I'll pull your wings off with my bare hands.

Galla's nostrils flared in a quick surge of anger, but she kept her anger internalized. Mostly. Truth be told, Galla wouldn't pull Theliel's wings off unless he deserved it. The only angel she truly wanted to kill was Zuriel. He'd caused this mess, and he would finish it by paying Galla with his life. Only then could she finally rest, and maybe gain some peace within her weary, angry soul.

Galla took a slow breath, exhaling her anger. "I'll pay whatever you need me to. Just so long as I can get what I want. It's rather important to me, as you can hear." Galla tapped the side of her head in annoyance, referring to his telepathy.

Making it known through body language that she didn't care who heard what she wanted to do, Galla roughly pulled a chair out and sat down, ordering a full glass of ale from the barkeep. She was quiet with thought as she took the glass offered to her and downed the whole thing in a few large gulps. Galla made a face her nose scrunching up a bit at the bland taste of the ale, "Small towns have shit ale...tastes like dishwater." She muttered quietly to herself, sliding the glass away from herself before turning her cold gaze back to the angel.

"I'm here to exact my revenge on the angel Zuriel. Though I'm sure he's fallen for what he did. There was no good reason for him to do what he did, and I'd like to find him and kill him before anyone else from your kind do. He's my kill." Galla spoke harshly, with insistence on the fact that Zuriel's life was hers to take. Her brows remained tightly knitted together in a seemingly permanent scowl, and the tips of her ears were a bit red as they tended to do when she was a particular kind of angry. She rested a hand on her thigh, tapping her fingers impatiently on the wood of the bar.

"I've waited for a long time to get to this point, and I expect to find him soon and get this over with so that I can maybe live my life." She finished, her gaze softening for a moment to reveal a slight wistful longing before hardening again, "Again, I am more than ready to pay the price, whatever it may be. I don't assume gold will do the trick for you in this case?" She asked.

Zuriel could not help but feel amused about this whole scenario. The woman wanted to kill an archangel, and was hiring the help of who she thought was a cherub. She seriously did think that she could defeat an archangel on her own. A small smirk rose to his lips, before falling again.

"Well, as for my payment, you are correct in thinking I do not want only money in this case. No, considering this is a special case, I believe money is not enough." He paused, lowering his voice, and sending out a small suggestion to the room minus Galla to not pay attention to him as he spoke. No need to have others overhear what he wanted.

"In the case of utterly betraying my kind, first I will not help you fight against any angelic being we come across. Harming my own kind would be treason unless they harmed me first, but considering finding your mark would be an act of aggression, me harming any of my people even in self defense would mean I would fall. I will simply walk away from such fights." He watched her drink the ale that she had ordered, though she seemed to not like it and eventually pushed it away. He never understood why humans would consume such disgusting things.

"Second, my payment. While I do need some gold to keep my room here, that will not be my main price." He once again paused, sending out stronger suggestions to the others in the room to just ignore him.

"There is an artifact I have need of. It is a simple amulet, but it is incredibly powerful. I need it to continue my work here on your land. In exchange for me helping you find your mark, I want your help in finding this amulet. I have not located it entirely, but I do know roughly where it is supposed to be hidden." He kept the suggestion up in the room, wanting people to at least ignore them during this conversation.

"Should you accept, then we can talk about where we may find Zuriel."

• Love
Reactions: Mars Walker
While Theliel spoke, Galla sat utterly still, listening to him intently, a scowl on her face and her eyes like raging storms. She couldn't care less if Theliel ended up getting killed for falling, but she knew she needed to keep him alive in order to get what she wanted. After that, she truly didn't care. She did find it odd that it wasn't considered treason or betrayal to be helping her find the archangel she wanted to kill. Galla would have to ask him about that later- right now, she just needed to secure this angel's help. What made her wonder more was that even if in self defense, it would be considered treason. Was Theliel expected to just stand there and take it?

"It's fine if you walk away from those fights- I'm sure I can handle myself. I don't need you dying just yet anyways, not until I get what I want." Galla continued to gaze at him harshly for a silent moment before continuing, "I can easiliy afford the gold. I've inherited a large sum of money, so it's not a big deal." Galla reached over to her right side and pulled a heavy tied leather pouch from her belt. She dropped it on the table infront of Theliel, and it landed with a thud and the sound of shifting gold coins, " I've already told you that I'll do anything for what I need. I'm not sure why you'd need a human's help to find a stinkin' amulet, but I'm up for the task, no questions asked." Galla finished speaking for a moment, reaching one hand up to run her fingers through her messy white hair.
"I've not got anything or anyone tying me down, so I've got all the time in the world to find Zuriel and kill him. Nothing's stopping me." Galla's scowl somehow grew deeper, her eyes intensifying.

Zuriel eyed the coinpurse as she less-than-gently put it on the table in front of him. It was not at all what he was after, and in all honesty if it weren't for his need for a central location, he'd likely outright refuse any money. Nodding gently, he took the purse, not bothering to count out the coins. His real payment was not monetary.

He had suspected her to question why he needed her help with the amulet, but considering she wasn't asking questions, he didn't say anything else about it. He could explain on the way. This entire trip would easily kill two birds with one stone. He would find the amulet and be able to destroy it, as well as determine if this human was good enough to leave alone, or if he would need to get rid of her as well. If she was a danger to his brothers and sisters, there would be no objections to killing her.

"Well, then if that is squared away, I can tell you information I know of him." Zuriel shifted in his seat, his eyes meeting hers. "He is not a simple angel, he is an archangel. While not the most powerful creature in our realm, he is powerful even among some archangels. He is well known." He paused, sending out a final surge of his power to make the rest of the tavern ignore him and Galla.

"As for his status, he is not fallen. His actions in the past have been ordered by someone who has power over him, and he does not entirely work as his own entity. Our god gives him tasks, and he completes those tasks. Nothing more. The death of your parents did not make him fall." Deciding to not wait further after seeing what looked to be rising rage in her eyes and thoughts, Zuriel continued quickly in his explanation.

"However, I do know where he is, and where he will be. After completing my task, I will show you. What you do next is entirely up to you." He finished, leaning backwards slightly, eyes still settled on hers in unbroken eye contact. He was often told the unflinching contact was unnerving, but he never quite understood it.

"Now, if you have any other questions about him, ask. I can tell you other things, up to a point. If you have no other questions, we may leave whenever you are ready."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Mars Walker
Galla's anger was most certainly rising as Theliel spoke, and she could remember a time when she truly believed that God was a being worth worshipping and respecting. Even after the death of her parents she had retained faith, under the assumption that it had been a rogue angel that killed them. However over time, especially with everything she'd been through while training to be a paladin, she had slowly begun to lose faith. She'd often questioned whether God was worth wasting time on, and she'd been stuck on feeling betrayed by whatever God- or Gods- there were. But now, with everything Theliel said in regards to the angels and their God, she felt the last bit of faith she might have had just fade away.

How could God order his pawns to kill innocent people? And how could that angel get awaywith it?

"...The death of your parents did not make him fall…" Theliel spoke of Zuriel.

Those words truly shocked Galla, so much so that her anger was pierced through with a cold and hollow feeling in her stomach.
How could that be? They were innocent! Right?
Galla's stomach knotted up and both of her hands clenched into fists, but her cold, sharp anger was not interrupted as he continued to speak.
She had so many questions to ask about Zuriel, but time was something she didn't want to waste on chatting, and so Galla stood, her fists remaining clenched at her sides.

"I'm ready to leave now. We'll complete your stupid task as soon as possible. I'll ask questions on the way. I don't want to waste too much time in a bar- I've done enough of that lately." She hissed, the searing anger in her eyes remaining, and growing much like an untamed fire.

"I have one horse resting in the stables across the way. You can ride with me, but if you have your own steed, I'd much prefer you ride on your own. Away from me." Gall growled, her anger just about to boil over.

God is worthless! If I could see his face, I would punch it!

Galla turned on her heel,her armor clanking a bit as she walked, her footsteps thudding angrily on the tavern's floorboards. She made her way out the front door, not bothering to wait up for Theliel, and went over to the stables to get her horse prepared to leave for their new quest.

Her anger was quite evident, and Zuriel knew that it would show. Humans were not good at hiding emotions. As she stood, announcing she was ready to leave at that moment, Zuriel let the magic fall. People around them would now notice that Galla was leaving in a rage, and Zuriel was to follow shortly after.

Before he moved to follow Galla, he gave the innkeeper the sack of gold to keep his room open for as long as he required. He went into his room to take what he needed from a trunk, which was a pack that contained some mostly mundane weaponry. However, he also carried things that he was allowed to use in his goals, things that were sent with him from his god.

With his bag slung over his shoulder, Zuriel left the inn, heading towards the stables. He did have his own horse, as he needed one from past jobs with mortals. He found them terribly slow, and he could fly much faster, but mortals generally couldn't comprehend him with his wings in plain view.

Finding the stableboy, he requested his horse be readied and saddled for him. Once his steed was brought to him, he gently stroked the beast's neck. It was completely comfortable with him. Seeing Galla, he lead the chestnut horse to her.

"Once we leave the town, the location should not be far. I unfortunately do not know the exact time it will take on horseback, but be prepared for at the very least three days. Tell me if you must rest and we will stop, but do not expect me to remember to do so on my own. I do not rest like you mortals."

Galla's horse was tall, blue roan stallion with the calmest of tempers. He seemed to be the only being in the world that was affectionate towards her– and Galla rather appreciated his quiet companionship. He didn't judge her for her anger or call her crazy, he just seemed to want adventure and sugar cubes.

Galla didn't bother calling the stable boy to saddle Sugar up for her, since she really just preferred to do things herself. She strapped the saddle onto Sugar's back, belting everything just right and making sure her belongings were still in their correct places.

"I don't care how long it takes, and I don't sleep much anyways, so we'll be able to ride for a long while. Sugar here likes a good long walk anyways." She spoke more gently around the horse and patted the stallion's side, moving to reposition her sword on her right hip before climbing up into Sugar's saddle, her cynical gaze resting on Theliel, "Lead the way, pigeon." She cracked a small mischievous smile, and it seemed almost out of place on her.

Zuriel made no comment when she called him pigeon, though he knew it was a joke. The humans seemed so fond of such things. Nudging his horse into a walk, he started out the gate of the town, soon getting the horse into a slow lope down the dirt road. A few hours along, and he slowed the horse to a walk. His head perked up, sensing something, though still far away. It felt evil, unholy. Possibly a fallen. He had the urge to fly after it, but he had other matters at hand. It didn't seem to be moving towards them, so he ignored it for now.

As the day went on, the sun began to set. He had no issues seeing in this darkness, but knew the human might. It had been some time since they had left the town, and other than a few breaks for the horses, they had not stopped. He didn't mind, she'd let him know if she needed a break to sleep. However, what bothered him was the presence that was still at the very edge of his senses. It wove in and out, and kept pace with them. Was it following them? Only one way to find out.

"Hold." He lowered his voice, raising his hand to quiet any questions she had. He stopped the horse, waiting for the presence to move back into range. It didn't take long for it to happen, almost immediately it moved back, but stopped. It wasn't moving with them anymore. It knew they were there.

"We're stopping here. We're being followed." He informed her, dismounting his horse and leading him off the side of the road to a nice patch of grass. He started taking off the saddle to his horse, as well as the rest of the tack, tying the lead rope to a nearby tree.

"Rest all you need, we should leave by first light. We will wait to see if our pursuer leaves us, but if they do not, we have no choice but to continue. Unfortunately, I would not be able to wait for them to simply die off. I fear they might be something inhuman." He moved more to the side of the horses, sitting in the grass, eyes fixed where he sensed the presence.