The Webcomic Thread

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by RiverNotch, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let's talk webcomics. I love webcomics! I discovered them when I was about ten or eleven, and the first webcomic that I ever read was a webcomic called "Darths and Droids". The premise of that comic was simple: in a universe where Star Wars doesn't exist (gasp!), a bunch of tabletop roleplayers experience a campaign that completely mirrors the whole story. It's a funny comic, so if you want laughs, like Star Wars, and love Dungeons and Dragons and what not, it's a fun little daily romp! I don't read it any more, though: when they started going through the good movies, the comic sort of started losing its energy (or maybe I did? I did lose a lot of time when I got into that theater thing...).

But anyway, the creator of that comic, an Australian physicist (I think; I'm not sure if he's a physicist exactly, or just an engineer with a real affinity for physics) named David Morgan-Mar, also made this other comic I once read (that I similarly broke away from due to time constraints, or maybe quality decrease; again, I ain't sure), "Irregular Webcomic!", and it was this pun-and-miniature(-and -science! Boy, the science and history references there actually helped get me through some parts of high school, and even university)-driven webcomic that wholly, formally introduced me to this world of internet entertainment. It was through this neat little webcomic that I found out about the other gems I once read and currently read through, like "Order of the Stick", another roleplaying comic about a party of stickpeople on a quest to defeat an evil lich (actually, the story, though basically as simple as one of your typical television serials, has a lot of complexity in it, especially with regards to character development. It's also a funny too, however, so don't expect that journey to be in any way dolorous), "Schlock Mercenary", a space opera about the exploits of the mercenary company called 'Tagon's Toughs' (another episodic webcomic with a lot of complexity and humor. Got nominated for a bunch of Hugo awards, by the way. I stopped following it by what is currently the second or third to the last storyline, again because I ran out of time, but I'm pretty sure if I found, say, a good two weeks of complete idleness, I could catch up easily enough), and "Ozy and Millie", this time an anthropomorphic comic strip a la Calvin and Hobbes, but with more politics, early-2000s pop culture jokes, and foxes (also happens to be my favorite webcomic ever, even though it was already finished by the time I started reading. Inspired some really weird dreams in me [but no, none of those dreams are in any way sensual, you perverted reader, you]).

Oh poop, I just realized: you, the reader, might not even know what webcomics are! What are webcomics, exactly? Simple: they're comics on the internet. Although usually, to remove such comics as Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, and Watchmen as posted on the internet, I tend to affix to the definition 'comics on the internet made specifically for the internet' to that definition (and I think that may actually be the actual definition of webcomics, but whatever). There are TONS of webcomics out there (as in, if you printed them all out on paper, you'd be killing half of the trees on Amazon! [not an exact estimate]), and, to be honest, most of them (not yours, of course) are crap, but a lot of them are really good, too, in some ways better than comics on print! And since I am a cultured prick, I will give, as an example of a webcomic that is definitively better, or at least more exhaustive, than print comics, a webcomic I've only barely scratched the surface of: "Homestuck".

In this day and age, who hasn't heard of "Homestuck", that isn't a denizen of these internets that is, you know, denizenning it out here for reasons other than work? From what I've heard, "Homestuck" is basically this massive, semi-interactive internet webcomic that uses up a lot of code and other things you can only experience on the internet to create a story and a universe about four young folks going on a massive, Ulysses-(by James Joyce, another thing I reference, but haven't exactly read yet)esque quest to do....something. Well, that's all I know, but if you have the time (and the attention span. Apparently, it's already more than five thousand pages!), you should go check it out, and become one of those....I forgot what they're called....Homestuckers? But yeah, there's a name for that fandom. Homestuck...ers? I'm stumped.

But anyway, there are, again, many, many, many more webcomics out there, and again, a lot of them are really, really good. Even if you haven't heard of the term, I bet you, dear reader, have already read and experienced some of them, heck, even just in this site! (I recall a bunch of folks here posting, whether in the ads section or the showcases section, I dunno, webcomics based on a roleplay! Boy, do I wish I had that sort of time, effort, and dedication....Well, I do, but I don't have a friggin' tablet or scanner, and photographed paper art is, in all honesty, poop. Heck, my sister, who posts a lot of those, sort of agrees with me there, however touchy she is with her art) Anyway, here are a few other webcomics that you (and, for some of these, I) should read, coupled with brief descriptions, bits of commentary (for those that I've already read, of course, or are already reading), and the appropriate links (I'll include here the links for Darths and Droids, Irregular Webcomic, Ozy and Millie, Schlock Mercenary, Order of the Stick, and Homestuck here, too!).

Comics I currently follow:
    Lackadaisy - a bunch of cat-people (though the artist has admitted that she only uses the cat people because their faces and such have more potential for being expressive than regular, human faces. In general, she notes, the readers should see them as people, but with furry masks, like the considerably-more-serious print-comic Maus) in late-1920s Louisiana try to keep alive their little bootlegging business. Fairly serious, but with a good bit of humor involved, and with extremely, mind-blowingly gorgeous art. Slow update time, however, and there's a good amount of violence here for the mothers out there to have to close their children's eyes here.
    Family Man - a young, Jewish, possibly atheistic academic in 18th century Germany navigates the, er, lycanthropic secrets of a mysterious University. Since it's written by an anthropology major, expect it to teach you a lot of things. It's a very good story, however, and its art is fair and brooding, appropriate for the setting. Oh, and be warned: there are hints of sex and violence here, and the tone is bloody serious (though not impenetrably so).
    Hark! A Vagrant - Speaking of old, academic things, here's a fun little variety show for you: history comics! Most of the jokes are very good (even when you don't get the references sometimes!) and this comic is guaranteed to teach you something, especially about Canadian history. And the art...well, it starts out fairly not-so-good, but it manages to develop into a very lively, fluid sort of style that one can't help but appreciate!
    xkcd - Less a comic and more a series of references on math, the academia, pop culture, programming, and various other things. Don't expect especially good art here (it's all stick figures), and don't expect more than fifty percent of the jokes to not go slip past your head. However, even though most of the jokes are that alien, they still manage to force a bit of a chuckle, and they usually manage to at least educate. Also, some of the artist's stints, especially with his infographics, and his specially coded strips, can really astonish.
    Dinosaur comics - Comics for a postmodern world (or is it modernist world? I dunno, I'm not an arts major): all of the art is the same, but the words are always changing. Extremely funny, even if the references can, a la xkcd or Irregular Webcomic, just fly by your head. I love this comic so much.
    Octopus Pie - Comics for the new generation: a Chinese-American twenty-something and her drug-addicted baker friend navigate the hard, hard New Yorker way of life. Another funny, though lately it's been going through a bit of a serious, getting-older phase, that I feel won't end any time soon. Though in general, it's quite ridiculous, for modern, middle class youths (like most of us here), and for people wanting to understand modern, middle class youths, and for anyone living in New York, the truths echoed by this webcomic are resounding. And, er, beyond this generality, the comic's art and storytelling makes it just plain good.
    Phoebe and Her Unicorn - the new webcomic by the creator of Ozy and Millie! This time, it's the story of a young girl (the eponymous Phoebe) navigating her sweet, I'm assuming Seattle, life with a unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils. It's absolutely delightful, and it's a breath of fresh air from the either serious or extremely ridiculous nature of the webcomics I currently peruse. By the way, this comic is, I've heard, about to get syndicated on print, so this may just escape my original definition of webcomics up there....
    Order of the Stick - But I already said this, didn't I?

Comics I used to follow (incomplete list):
    Crossed: Wish You Were Here - a graphic (note: when I say graphic, I mean GRAPHIC) horror story about a bunch of people trying to survive a post-apocalyptic world (where said apocalypse is due to the Crossed, a bunch of id-inflated maniacs that I literally cannot explain in this one post, but that you'd understand by reading at least one episode of that comic). I stopped following it because...well, because it's finished now, and I really haven't gotten around yet to reading the one following it. This webcomic, and the whole group of print comics that led to it, by the way, I discovered through this very site!
    Out There - another sort of slice of life comic about a (young?) bartender making her way through life. I stopped following this after my time got really consumed by stuff.
    Ozy and Millie - I've already said it, but I'll say it again: my favorite webcomic ever.
    Count Your Sheep - Another little webcomic, this time know what, honestly, I'm not sure. But it's cute, and you should read it. I stopped reading it late at around 2013, when it seemed to have fact, it was just an indefinite hiatus that I think is already done.
    Outfoxed and Bite Me - I'll bunch these in here, instead of giving them independent paragraphs. Both were made by the same person who made Family Man, and both are really good (and fairly short). The first is a fairy tale....of sorts, with a very chilling story and a rather, well, perplexing ending. The second is a farce about the French Revolution, Vampires, and Werewolves.
    Schlock Mercenary - ....
    Darths and Droids - ....
    Irregular Webcomic! - ....

Comics recommended to me:
    It's late at night, and I wanna get to sleep as soon as possible. So, for now, I'll just note the webcomic I already noted before: Homestuck.

And now for what makes this a proper thread for discussion: if you do happen to already know and enjoy (or, heavens, even create!) webcomics of your own, please, do tell! And if you wanna comment on anything I said, or all the others who speak here say, then again, feel free to comment (but not to troll, of course!). And for the haters (though I think the only real hater for this post here is me), yes, I do understand that I really didn't discuss anything too deeply here, but this is meant more a report on the general idea of webcomics than anything else.

Back to everyone else: I do suggest you make many of your comments all deep and stuff. It'd be nice to see this discussion on the art and what not of webcomics to go all nice and comprehensive, so that, besides the inevitable comic-linking and laughter-spouting, we get a rich something out of this romp.

(Written in the middle of the night, with a bit of a tummy ache)
    • Thank Thank x 1
  2. I really like Vibe for it's sexy art style and story. I used to read comics by Bleedman, but eh.
  3. Girl Genius
    Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
  4. Stand still. Stay silent.

"Stand Still. Stay Silent is a post apocalyptic webcomic with elements from nordic mythology mixed in, set 90 years in the future. Contains plenty of friendship, exploration adventure and some horror"

Definitely my favorite of the comics I've come across so far and I absolutely love the art.
  5. As a swede, I love seeing a post-apocalyptic rendition of Scandinavia
  6. Awkward Zombie is the best thing.

Also, its writer is a rocket scientist. Your argument is invalid.

Show Spoiler
  7. I weep for the loss of BrawlInTheFamily. At least there are a glorious 600 posts to sieve through when I'm bored in a couple of years... That, and a bunch of comic books or something that I'm unable to get a hold of anyway so there's no point in me dwelling on it.

Also, Vectorbelly has some really good, hilarious comics, including Our New Electrical Morals and the Tumblr famous Twitter: The Comic.
  8. BITF went down like a champ, really fucking classy.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. power puff girls dousjinshi by bleedman!
  10. I recommend reading Order of the Stick, a fantasy comic that parodies Dungeons and Dragons. The jokes are clever, and the storyline surprisingly is intriguing. The characters are also funny (especially Belker) Another webcomic I think you guys should read is Dumbing of Age. It's about a collage with a huge cast of characters. The characters are very likeable, and it deals with homosexuality and other stuff.
  11. Digger.

Who doesn't love wombats? Read this, and if you don't, you will.
  12. Ava's Demon: Beautifully illustrated and includes short "videos" at the end of chapters. The story is engaging, the characters are wickedly endearing, and the world she creates is simply stunning.

Delightfully dark.
  13. @PetticoatLane
    I was coming to post Ava's Demon. I only discovered it around a month or two ago, but I was captivated instantly. It's beautiful.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Okay, I'm not gonna link anything because I am on my phone and I am so lazy. I'm sure a quick google search of any of these titles will send you in the proper direction. A couple of them have been mentioned already but all the more reason to pick them up!

Cucumber Quest
    The Black Brick Road of Oz
    Manly Guys Do Manly Things
    Romantically Apocalyptic
    The Property of Hate
    Hark a Vagrant!
    The Lonely Vincent Bellingham (This one has just started but it looks promising)
    Tripping Over You (my favourite feel good comic)
    Girls With Slingshots

Also, it's not exactly a webcomic but if you're looking for something with cool worldbuilding and interesting characters (as well as great art), you should check out Tower of Artoris.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sandra & Woo! Cute comic I read every Saturday. What can I say? I have a thing for small furry animals.
  16. Milo Manara is one of my favorite webcomic artists. Warning for all you teenagers though; and yes, I know I'm one myself. His comics are NSFW all the way.
  17. Speaking of NSFW: Oglaf.

Never fails to amuse me.
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.