The Water (OOC and sign-ups)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secondary Character Sheets:

aa96ea155f185394c5ffe409cfadffc3.png

NAME: Tonia Marie Meadows-Neal
Tonia holds many roles other than her occupation. She is the wife of Christopher Neal, mother of Mallory Neal, younger sister of Saul Meadows, and the aunt of Quinn Meadows. She is also rumored to be cheating on her husband with Miguel Cuevas, the head principal of Antioch Academy.

She met Christopher when she was 20. Despite her being a college sophomore and he working on a Masters in Business Administration, she was immediately smitten and despite some family objections, they soon began a relationship. As Tonia was completing her junior year of college, she discovered that she was pregnant. Her health during the pregnancy declined and she was forced to drop-out.

Chris assured her that everything would be alright and two years after their daughter was born, the couple was married and moved to Bridgewater. There Tonia enrolled in Ashland's Beauty School. Ten years later, at the age of 34, Chris surprised her with purchasing a shop within the shopping district of town that she would dub Broadway 51, a rather high-end salon where she became well-known within the town.

2q0umah.jpg
Name: Miguel Ángel Cuevas
Miquel was more in Valencia, Spain to Oscar and María Cuevas. His father was a United States citizen and traveled within the military for work. His parents met during a festival in Madrid and within just a few weeks, the two decided to marry. In a few short months, María became pregnant. Unfortunately, Oscar was unable to attend the birth of his son as he had to travel back to the states to take care of business within the family. When Miguel was two years old, Oscar was able to send for his wife and son and they traveled to the US to be reunited as a family.

Growing up, Miguel became fluent in both Spanish and English and fell in love with the Spanish culture. Trips were often taken back to Valencia so he could know his mother's family. During his years in college, Miguel chose to study over-seas and ended up graduating King's College in Madrid. After moving back to the states and settling in Bridgewater, he met Elizabeth Corduroy and they were married for twenty years before divorcing soon after Miguel's 44th birthday. They never had any children.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jerelin: Yea that works out for me. Mallory can be the good girl whose trying to "fix" bad boy Jason, lol. Anything else you would like to work out about the characters' history together?

*Also, I updated Damien's and Troy's profiles with images just for reference...

@Alis_Audāx -
The only real thing I'd like to work out last, then, is how long have the two been friends? Has the friendship been going on for a while? Or is it somewhat newer? It doesn't really matter to me, I just wanted to know it before the RP gets started.

@MST3K 4ever -
Yes! I could see them being friends. Idony can act a bit out there sometimes, but she's generally a pretty friendly girl, and she definitely enjoys school. Plus the Indy club would have given them a better chance to hang out, and I imagine they would have struck up a casual friendship. Idony usually appreciates anyone who is willing to look past her family, as it's something she rarely finds. Plus I have a feeling she'd like to somewhat poke fun at Quinn, which would make a friendship with Nick only more appealing to her.

@Jerelin -
I feel like Idony really wouldn't be a big fan of your character, at least not until they got to know them. It would just be the combination of everything - she gets great grades at school, has a somewhat high social standing, and is dating the little brother of a police officer? It wouldn't sit well with her. She might be a tad bit sympathetic because of the rumors about her mother and all, since she can relate to that sort of thing somewhat, so she likely wouldn't act all that hostile towards her, but would rather try to steer clear of her as much as possible.

(If you were to have her find out about Quinn's possible involvement with the meth dealers at some point, like you mentioned, I could totally see Idony being the one to break it to her though. She has pretty good knowledge of those sort of going ons in the town, since her family is so involved in that kind of stuff. Her older brother, Hunter, for example, is pretty deeply into the world of drugs - and I can very easily see him being involved in it himself. She kind of likes to hang that stuff over Quinn's head, and I could see her telling Mallory for either the express purpose of trying to upset her, or simply in passing as a mistake, as she sometimes forgets not everyone knows about the less favorable going ons in their family. Again, just a possible suggestion if your possible suggestion were to possibly happen at sometime. I'M NOT TRYING TO BE PUSHY OR SOMETHING I SWEAR D: )

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Sorry for the absence guys! Was away for memorial day weekend, but I'm back home now. Seems like we've figured things out with our characters for the most part and we should be ready to start the RP soon. There's one issue though. @Oyoa hasn't been around to give her thoughts on what we've discussed. I sent her a message informing her of the character discussions, but haven't received a reply yet. In the interest of keeping things moving, I'm going to be controlling Sai for the time being until Oyoa returns.

With that out of the way, everyone go ahead and add your relationships to your CS (preferably under a spoiler!). so that all of the info is easily accessible to everyone.

By the way, Cwolf0615, I was thinking, it'd be interesting if there was a super dark reason why Idony's family is so detested by most of the town (in addition to some of her family members being actual criminals). What if like, a long time ago, one of her great-grandparents or something committed a horrible crime that has stained the family lineage? I don't know why this came to me (and forgive me if this seems incredibly dark), but what if a certain Kierstead woman drowned one of her kids in a bathtub? I think that'd be the kind of crime that would really stick with people and give a family a dark reputation. Let me know if it's too much or if you'd rather just ignore this idea.

Also, @Chris_Reaper and @Jerelin, this is just me putting on my GM hat, and I'm only saying this because I've seen it happen in other RPs and it's led to bad things, but try to keep in mind that even though your characters are dating, Mallory and Jason are not joined at the hip when it comes to plot-- they are their own characters and should have their own storylines and motivations. I'm only bringing this up because in some RPs I've been in before, two characters who are in a relationship can run into an issue where one character kind of overtakes the other and then the person playing the other character feels as though their agency in playing the character how they want is kind of lessened. I'm not saying this will happen or that I'm accusing you guys of anything, it's just something to keep in mind. :)

Oh and here's a few images of what Bridgewater is supposed to look like.

http://imgur.com/a/x13ZL#iod6sQl

So, I'm picturing the town having three main neighborhoods, each with its own kind of people and vibe.

Cooke's Row (or as it's colloquially know, 'The Row') is the 'bad part' of town where the lower-class folks live. It's supposed to be a dangerous place for outsiders, but it actually has its own community where people who've lived there a long time watch each other's backs. Most of the families who live here work in the factories that dominate the area. A few miles away from The Row, outside of the town's dividing line, there is a Native American reservation-- a place where not even the people of Cooke's Row dare to tread.

Elcott is a middle-class neighborhood in the central area of Bridgewater. Think tree-lined suburban streets and quiet cul-de-sacs. It's boring here and Elcott kids spend most of their time downtown at the boardwalk or throwing bon-parties in the woods. Antioch Academy is located here.

Finally, we have Shields (or 'The Shields'), an upper-class neighborhood situated in the verdant slopes of Tiger Mountain. It's an exclusive territory where only the oldest and wealthiest families in Bridgewater reside. Mansions dot the beautiful landscape, while golf courses and country clubs play host to Bridgewater's wealthy elite. Centuries ago, this plot of land was home to the Chinook natives, but was taken from them by the town's English pioneer founders.

So yeah, you guys should probably have a good idea of where your characters live. Quinn, Nick and the rest of the Meadows family live in a huge empty mansion in the Shields, which he despises.

Reactions: Vivianne
@lost_wisdom -
Ah, I absolutely love that idea! Dark themes have always been a favorite of mine in roleplays, but additionally, I just think it makes a lot of sense for the Kierstead's story overall. Not only would it add extra push against Idony's main starting internal and external conflict, it would also help to better explain why the Kiersteads are the way they are, and I feel like it would add nice depth to some of Idony's family members - her mother especially.

---

I like the idea of it being her great-grandmother, on her mother's side. Her great-grandmother had always been an unstable woman. She was very jealous, and vindictive, with some underlying abandonment issues. Her marriage - and her children - suffered because of it, and one day, her husband decided enough was enough. After a particularly bad fight, he stormed out of the house in a flurry of curse words, insults, and exclamations about how he was never coming back - he even went so far as to make up a lie about having another woman. Their youngest child was a four year old boy. Despite being a Kierstead, he was somewhat well-loved in the town, due to his friendly nature. He was often seen toddling around with his two older sisters, and would often tear away from them to run over and grin and babble at other people. He wasn't just a favorite in the town though - being Idony's great-grandfather's only son, it was no secret he was his favorite child as well. In a fit of rage, Idony's great-grandmother took the poor baby, and drowned him in the bath - caring more about making her husband pay than her own children, who he had never really viewed as anything other than pawns anyways.

It affected her two remaining children pretty badly, as could be expected. The family completely fell apart. The oldest sister, who was pretty much the boy's primary caregiver, committed suicide in her teenage years. The younger of the two, Idony's grandmother, went on to have a family of her own - but she was damaged goods, and everyone knew it. She developed pretty severe mental problems, and was somewhat abuse to her own kids - one of which was Idony's mother, obviously. So, not only did Aileen grow up with a severely troubled mother, she had to live her life with her grandmother's actions hanging over her head.

That family background has a lot to do with why she treats her own children the way she does - she's never had any real example of what a mother should be, and only has bad experiences with that parental figure. She's kind of unable to connect to her own children, and also doesn't think she should - since in her experience mothering your child pretty much equals ruining their life.

Of course, Kiersteads keep to themselves about that sort of stuff - so, to outsiders, it looked less like a family falling apart over a trauma, and more like a line of bad mothers taking after their ancestor.
---

...So, uh, yeah!
Let me know what you think about that.
And um.. if you feel like i overthink things, or go too much into them, let me know also. I'm always worried I'll overwhelm people, I just get so terribly excited when plotting things, sometimes I think I might get carried away.

Reactions: lost_wisdom
I just woke up so no time for a big reply atm, but @lost_wisdom, I see no need for you to worry. The relationship is sort of rocky anyway and I believe that we have enough RP experience to not let that get in the way with our character. Especially once the actual plot begins to unfold and shit starts going down. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Reactions: lost_wisdom
Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to reply to everyone yet. But here is what I have to say:

Yes. To just about everything. *laughs*
I like the ideas people have been saying in regard to relationships and will have it all work pretty well. I like the character that Sai is becoming and am taking notes in regards to relationships and all of it.

Again, sorry. Real life got too real but I should be back now. I am working on catching up now.

@Alis_Audāx I feel like Sai isn't sure what to make of Robin. The choice eir has made has made it so that she isn't sure what to make of it and just tends to try as if maybe Robin doesn't exist to a point. It is one of those things were she is weary, and will interact if called upon, but considered possibly not important. Who knows. I think I will have to see their interactions to really figure this one out. I am excited to see how they actually interact.

@Phaesaris Since he will make it his goal to annoy her, she will make it her goal to scoff/ignore him to the best of her ability. Especially with his poor grade point average. If he isn't going to make an effort there, why bother type of thing. ;P

@Chris_Reaper I don't see how Jason and Sai would interact much. Not until the project anyway. Maybe he's more of an 'under her radar' because she doesn't think it is worth her time to know everyone. Another one of those "Who is he," deals that she won't figure out what she thinks until everything goes down. Who knows.

@MST3K 4ever For Nick, I like that. Someone she can converse with. She will oblivious to any sort of feelings he may have, but again, it is because she is very goal oriented. Though she does have to admit she likes how him and his siblings are definitely appearing to not be stuck in a rink place and possibly going somewhere in the world.

@lost_wisdom Would Quinn be the one to introduce her to adderall? And why? I would have to figure out why in her 'perfectionistic' mind she would take it, but it would be a nice flaw to add as a possible wrench in plans.

@Cwolf0615 Yes! I think that is a good thing for them. Sai is going to strongly dislike Idony a huge part because of the fact that she doesn't even try to get decent grades and it ticks Sai off because she has to try so hard. She didn't ask to have 'followers' but that must mean she is doing something right, which she reasons in her mind that Idony is doing something wrong. Being an outcast isn't desirable. ;P

@Jerelin I have a feeling that Sai does NOT get along with people at this point - and your character would be a good rival. But I have to ask: What Pillow-Talk rumor? This does sound quite interesting. She will find Mallory quite infuriating though. Plus Sai may make comments that Mallory cares about her appearance too much just to have something to pick at.

There we go! Sorry everyone, It doesn't seem like the best of quality right now and for that I apologize. And if I missed anyone, let me know.

Great to see you back, @Oyoa! As for the adderall thing, it was just an idea I had, since it's a study drug and I thought Sai would probably take some from time to time in order try to try and keep focused. Quinn probably did introduce her to it, mostly because he's bored and finds other people boring and wants to kind of inject some spice and excitement into the lives of others. If we're going by D&D terms, Quinn would definitely be chaotic-neutral on the morality scale. He kind of just does his own thing for his own ends.

But anyway, the adderall thing was just an idea. If you don't want Sai to be into that kind of thing it's perfectly cool!

@Cwolf0615 , don't worry about it! I've mentioned this before but I love it when people go super in-depth into their characters. I'm a production assistant for films and tv in real life and you kind of remind me of actors who create these super elaborate histories for their characters. I always thought that was awesome and I'm glad you're doing it! Of course, unlike those actors, who's characters' backstories don't show up on screen, I'll try to intertwine some of that awesome Kierstead history into the story itself. :p

@Chris_Reaper - I also thought up something that might be an intriguing storyline for Jason's brother Damien. He's an interesting character but I'm thinking it might be a bit vanilla if he was just the traditional good-natured guardian character. I like those kind of characters but if there isn't anything more to them, it could end up being a bit boring. What if like, Damien is having money issues or what have you and is involved in some not quite legal stuff on the side? He's still a good-natured guy at heart and is trying to do the best for his family, but maybe he has some dark things in his past that might creep up in the storyline? If you're onboard with this, I'll PM you the idea I have, which I think could be pretty cool.

The only real thing I'd like to work out last, then, is how long have the two been friends? Has the friendship been going on for a while? Or is it somewhat newer? It doesn't really matter to me, I just wanted to know it before the RP gets started.
@Cwolf0615 - I was thinking perhaps at least 1 year of friendship. That way they know about each others problems, and have some solid understanding on how the other "works". Which can help develop that "us against the world" type of friendship. Yet, it still leaves room for secrets being kept and add to the possibility of revealing them as the RP goes on.

I feel like Sai isn't sure what to make of Robin. The choice eir has made has made it so that she isn't sure what to make of it and just tends to try as if maybe Robin doesn't exist to a point. It is one of those things were she is weary, and will interact if called upon, but considered possibly not important. Who knows. I think I will have to see their interactions to really figure this one out. I am excited to see how they actually interact.
@Oyoa - This does make sense, Robin's situation is different and out of the norm of typical societal views. Especially, in an older town like Bridgewater. Robin is a, "if your chill with me, I will be cool with you." type of individual. So I can see Robin not really caring if Sai decides to ignore Robin. But, Robin enjoys poking and having a little fun with those who are obviously unhappy with ey choice. I agree with you, I think their interaction will kind of dictate on how or where these two will be.

With Robin Nick respects Robin and even admires him, because ey is trying to live on eir terms. Nick is not worried about fitting and he knows that he will never be considered cool, but that's okay as long as he can be honest about what he likes and living life on his terms.
@MST3K 4ever - I think both Nick and Robin have that in live life on their own terms in common. I think it will be interesting to see how their interaction will be. Even if someone can respect another persons choices that does always mean they are agreeing with that person's choices. So who knows? I think as the RP progresses we will be able to see what their relationship will be.

@Chris_Reaper - I think Robin would have issues with all of your law enforcing characters. hehe. Robin's father pasted away and the details surrounding his case was never fully exposed. Robin's fathers case was pretty much just pushed under a rug. Which gave way for Robin's step-father Boivin, to step in and cause problems. I think Robin would feel like the law enforcement in the town could be easily bought and ey sees them as easily corruptible. (even if this may not be true). I could see Robin avoiding them when ey can.

- As for Robin's classmates who are related to law enforcement. Robin may be weary of them, kind of a "guilty by association". Robin would never fully trust these classmates, however ey is willing to be civil if they are. If a friendship forms with one of these characters it would be difficult to gain Robin's trust.

I gotta give credit where credit is due to you all. Yeah we've had various things come along and keep us from getting this RP off the ground quite yet, but everyone is still here and wants to do this.

That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

The characters and relationships are really solid...This RP has a lot of potential.

@Chris_Reaper: Probably not much else, no. We will just see how it goes organically between the characters. I think we have enough to play off of each other and let Mal and Jason do their own thing. Do you have anything to add?

@Cwolf0615: I can totally see that. Idony would be the perfect person to let it slip or even just say it as a jab (depending on how you want to play it ^_^) I PROMISE YOU'RE NOT BEING PUSHY :D I love the idea, tbh. It would create a nice dynamic between the two and cause some tension in Quinn and Mal's relationship whether it is true or not.

@lost_wisdom: Should we make Mal and Quinn neighbors? Or at least live within a few houses of each other? Oh, my goodness. I am just now looking at the images for Bridgewater. This is fantastic and making me even more excited!

@Oyoa: The Pillow-Talk rumor is basically that Mal's mother is sleeping with Antioch Academy's head principal. Instead of getting where she is by merit, Mal is only where she is because her mom slept with the right dude. Sai could add as much to that rumor as she would like to try and tarnish Mal's image if she wanted to go that route. I just love the idea of the two girls disliking each other and seeing how it develops.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Great to see you back, @Oyoa! As for the adderall thing, it was just an idea I had, since it's a study drug and I thought Sai would probably take some from time to time in order try to try and keep focused. Quinn probably did introduce her to it, mostly because he's bored and finds other people boring and wants to kind of inject some spice and excitement into the lives of others. If we're going by D&D terms, Quinn would definitely be chaotic-neutral on the morality scale. He kind of just does his own thing for his own ends.

But anyway, the adderall thing was just an idea. If you don't want Sai to be into that kind of thing it's perfectly cool!
I think... she tried it once. For like a week to get through some stressful tests. Then vowed to never do it again. But she is tempted from time to time but resists although they do seem to call her. That fits her a bit more. There is a whole thought process but it is fun to mess with.

@Jerelin- No I suppose that's all I had as well. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out...

@Oyoa- Just expect hostility by association I suppose. If Sai is going to make trouble for Mallory, Jason will naturally defend her. So our characters will just be on obvious bad terms...

Status
Not open for further replies.