The Warlock King and the Witch Queen: The Grand Tourney IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her face might have been covered but her intense scowl could most certainly be felt. She didn't like the astramancer's attitude but she had promised herself that she would respect the other members of her coven... Even if they were unbearable. Gritting her teeth, Xena calmed her inner rage and extinguished the physical one that had sparked to life in her clenched fist.

"Are you so insecure about your own abilities that you must nitpick our choice of conversation?" She retorted, taking a step toward the witch. "I hope we get to face each other in battle come time for the tournament. Then I'll show you where you can stick your detailed strategy." Xena hissed, blowing excess air out through her nose with frustration. So she failed a little in restraining herself, but at least she didn't physically attack her like she desired to. If a bit of harmless banter was all this came to, Xena would have considered it a personal victory. Not wanting to bother any more with the negative vibe she was receiving from the girl, Xena prepared herself to leave like so many others already had.

"I look forward to training with you all." She bowed her head to the remainder of the group before taking her leave, exiting the meeting place without another thought. Xena maintained a controlled but quick pace, her excitement for the upcoming events flooding her with energy. It would be a miracle if she slept at all that night. As soon as she was home, she began packing whatever she owned into a bag that she would take with her. As Simon's voice sounded in her head, she couldn't help but to smile, stuffing the last of her things into a bag before completely undressing to stand in front of her mirror. She glanced at the marks running down her forearm with a sigh.

"What have you gotten yourself into now, moron." She shook her head. Her intentions were good, but she didn't know how Layth would react to her marks... They were similar, but that didn't mean he would see her marks the same way she did... And the others most likely wouldn't either. Working in such close proximity, she hadn't the faintest clue if she could manage to keep them covered the whole time. The arm would be easy, but with a uniform of sorts... She wasn't sure if she could maintain a cover over her eyes. Shaking her head she walked away from the mirror and climbed into bed, staring at the ceiling deep in thought.

As the furious girl left, Shiori spoke, to no one in particular. "Not at all. I simply want to make sure that if I do die, my cause of death isn't because of my teammates' incompetence, which seems to be a likely outcome thus far." Shiori didn't lose her cool, unlike the departed witch. Shiori never lost her cool, because she found it hilarious whenever someone else did - no one liked giving her the upper hand, but so many did it out of sheer anger. It was especially funny when she took into account that she could induce such anger in people trice her age. Smirking to herself, she easily hoisted her cannon onto her back and strode out of the room as if the metal block was weightless.

As soon as he entered the secret entrance, Philemon heard Simon's message. Even after a few months of staying here, he still can't help but jolt whenever someone sends a PSA using the coven's telephonic messaging system. He thought it felt creepy hearing someone's voice inside his head. Since he doesn't have anything else to do for the rest of the afternoon, Philemon stopped by the coven's library unsure whether he will sleep or find something read to pass the time. He found himself browsing in a section that he hasn't visited before. The books were old and dusty in this particular section and the pages of the books looks like it'll crumble at any second. No wonder nobody visits this part of the library, he thought and sneezed due to the presence of dust. Philemon was about to leave when he noticed a pile of books stacked inside a cardboard box just below the bookshelves. He picked one up and was surprised with what the books contained. We can certainly use these, he grinned and carried as many books as he can and proceeded to the take-out section.
------------------

Carrying his essentials- some spare clothes, basic bathroom supplies, some books he found in the library, his channeling item and his elven longsword- Philemon yawned, feeling sleepy due to staying up late while reading the books he found in the library. And I'm the one who said stuff about the importance of sleep back at the meeting room, he chuckled as he wiped the sleep out of his eyes. When he arrived at the grand hall, he found Layth waiting for the others to arrive. "Did you sleep well?", he greeted him with a grin and sat beside him. "Oh, check out what I found at the library yesterday", he ruffled through his messy bag and brought out the books he borrowed. "These books contains strategies for the team-based rounds made by the members of the coven who participated in the previous Grand Tourney. I heard they made it past the first round so maybe the strategies they made were effective". Philemon picked up a book and turned it to a particular page. "I really like this opening they made. They didn't name it, but I'll call it 'The Leeroy Jenkins'. It involves having their geomancer, aeromancer, and astramancer charge into enemy lines and break whatever formation they have using 'area of effect' spells while the rest of the team picks off the enemy while they're all confused and panicked. But y'know what? I think it'll also work if...", Philemon continued telling Layth his thoughts even though he's unsure whether he's interested or not.

The dropping of the hall's temperature announced the Cryomancer's entrance. Crix had only packed some clothing, a toothbrush, and some books in his four wheeled luggage. His weapons were conjured so he had no need to pack those.

He had heard from other coven members of how two of his female teammates had gotten into some sort of spat after he had left. Division within the team before the tournament was disadvantageous for the entire team right now, but Crix decided that maybe he could use it for his own purpose later on. Right now in the hall, however, the scholar did not appreciate the geomancer's hyperactive personality in the morning. Hearing Philemon talking about strategies, Crix decided to try to steer Phil to a more intelligent conversation.

"That would be a good idea if we caught our opponents off guard," began Crix as he joined the other two. "However, charging into a group of prepared fighters is just suicide. For example, if there was a geomancer with the defenders that created holes in the ground, there is a more than likely chance that the attackers may break a leg or two. If you wanted to charge in, it would be best for somebody to draw their attention before going in."

Last edited:
His eyes closed followed with a sigh, he was a bit early but that was due to his own eternal clock forced him to wake. Seemed he did have some trouble sleeping after all, though that hardly changed... Footsteps were heard and Layth opened his eyes to see who it was. Philemon...? Hearing his comment about sleep Layth offered a light smirk in response. "Naturally." As the young man sat down next to Layth he peered over the books that he began to pulled out of his back, old and barely held together by their leather bounds; he could see the dust particles fly as he began flipping through the pages. A brow arched in intrigue once Phil mentioned what information resided within. Strategies from members of the coven in the past... Now that was valuable information. Feeling the chilled air Layth looked over to the cyromancer that just joined them, he heard his reasoning behind why he believe it was a flawed strategy. The one specified strategy Phil stated began to paint a image in Layth's mind.

"Air and earth are plentiful out on the field, and utilizing the already present elements make for dramatically shorter cast times in using a spell... The aeromancer and geomancer would be the front men of the assault by taking advantage of the already present elements, by doing this they allow the astramancer the small amount of time needed to generate the necessary amount of electricity needed to further disrupt the other team's formation, likely by overloading their nervous system with slight shocks. Damage can also be mitigated and enhanced with the combination of earth and wind, natural conductors of each other's elements... With the three man split this strategy ensures that if the front liners fail the remaining three elementals will get the job done through long range tactics... Though that should not be the case with their continuous support. I'd imagine the three man team away from the combat would use spells to offset the defending team from actively trying to stop the offensive team..." Layth replied somewhat in thought. Unsure if either was paying attention to him.

"...That's what I think anyway." The young man was no stranger to battlefield tactics

The sun had barely risen by the time Xena had awoken. She took her time getting ready, humming to herself the entire time. The detached sleeve on her arm was one of the first articles of clothing on her body, but she saved the hood for last seeing as she was alone for what could possibly be the last time in a while. If she could help it, she wouldn't drop her hood around her team, but she had the nagging feeling that someone would take it from her one way or another. This in mind, Xena grabbed her packed bags and left her apartment, stepping out into the brightening world.

By the time she arrived at the Grand Hall, a few others had already gathered. Xena was somewhat relieved that the witch she had been arguing with the night before had not shown her face yet, but she knew that she would be around sooner or later. Until that time, Xena set her things down and stretched, enjoying the moments of peace before work began. She had entered mid-conversation, but from what she had heard thus far, it appeared the boys were already discussing strategies.

"I think it would be best to hold off on such discussions until we actually begin training. To place someone in a formation based off of their Path alone is rather irresponsible. Based off of the stereotype of a fireball chucking Pyromancer, it would make sense to place me off to the side or in the back of the formation to use ranged attacks. However, my fighting style would me make me pretty useless in that particular situation." She added, stepping up to join the conversation.

"That being said, I'm particularly enjoying your source of inspiration." Xena said, pointing to the book in Philemon's possession. "Taking a page out of ancient history might actually be the key to our survival. After all, mentors now a days tend to be a little on the snobbish side when it comes to technique. Let's just hope that we don't end up paired against a group of history buffs."

"You have a good point. However, discussing strategies not only helps us in execution but also in countering. If our opponents should try this tatic on us, we will, knowing that there are probably mancers farther back, be prepared for the AoE attacks of the chargers yet warry enough to defend ourselves against ranged attacks," reasoned Crix to the pyromancer. "That reminds me, I forgot to pack something. Be right back."

Crix got up and walked towards his research room. Potions would be useful in the upcoming fights...and fighting meant injuries…which meant blood. Crix had avoided gathering magic wielders' blood because of the possibility of getting caught. On the other hand, people in the tournament were bound to get hurt, allowing Crix to gather their blood without suspicion.

Crix, although a seasoned and skilled conjurer, could not just summon anything he liked. He would have to make arrangements for somebody, most likely a Maleficarum, to get him his equipment during the actual tournament. Since right now was merely the training phase, Crix packed some empty vials, brewing equipment, raw materials, and some pre-made potions of different colors and effects.

Last edited:
Soon enough, the low whirring of the coven's RV came about as Simon found himself within, with the driver being one of the many golems that staffed the coven. The RV itself was a plain white with a series of black stripes parallel to one another on each side. It was a larger model, with enough sleeping for all seven of the teammates if needed. The stone golem, affectionately named "Orcus" by the elder generation of spellcasters, pulled up the vehicle to where the others were. Orcus turned his plain head, for the golem laced most facial features, save ears and eyes, and waved in a manner that was easily recognizable as happy.

Simon stepped out of the RV's door and walked around, the dark circles a little less prominent than usual as he had managed to catch some sleep in the previous night. He had brought his laptop, a few old books about the Grand Tourney and magical warfare, a duffel bag of clothing, and his fencing gear (for he was an avid fencer, and often did his various physical training wearing said equipment. He was informed there would also be a variety of training gear awaiting them in the mountains, but he merely brought his own gear just to be safe. Walking around to where the others were standing in the Grand Hall, it would be noted that he was wearing his tennis shoes, jeans, a grey hoodie, a dark tan dust coat, and a white undershirt.He pulled up the hood. Radriar, of course, was flying around the room and observing all of those who had already arrived as the wisp bumped into their foreheads.

After chuckling at the sight of Radrair being hyper, Simon spoke to his comrades, smiling softly. "Good morning, everyone. I've got Orcus waiting for us in the coven's RV in front of the book store for when we're all ready to go. There's also breakfast up there so let's hope that Ester and Shiori get here soon. Otherwise, I trust that you all slept well last night and packed everything you'll need?"

( @WanderingSpirit @Karakui )

Shiori stepped silently towards the group of her assigned teammates. Her cannon was now wrapped in some kind of fabric to make it slightly less conspicuous, and she was carrying a backpack almost the size of herself, and easily twice as heavy. It was clear that what was in it was primarily metal, since she was able to lift it just as easily as the weapon. She was dressed in considerably more modest clothing than the picture used for her bio, with a plain black, slightly faded T-shirt under the cloak. "Bloody powerful RV if it can still run even with 7 people and however many tonnes of rock in it," she muttered. "Well, magicians have never been very good at obeying physics."

The returning cryomancer found himself slightly amused with the young astramancer's muttering.

"If you have a hard time that an RV can carry seven people and a golem, you underestimate magic," Crix chuckled as he carried a box full of his brewing equipment to his luggage. "Magic is meant to break normal science. If it didn't, we wouldn't be do, well, magical." Receiving a look from Shiori. "Fine. It's the runes. There are gravity altering runes in the car that makes whatever is inside weigh less."

He put down his stuff and greeted Simon with a short wave.

"Looks like everyone is here except for flower girl. Can somebody go check if she's awake?"

Status
Not open for further replies.