The War for Wonderland

The Ace tracked her as she fell, and once close to the ground he caught her. Her fall had actually been delayed, as if she floated to the ground like a card. Maybe another Wildcard perk. "See? Not so bad," he remarked in a whisper before letting her go. The one thing he could not get rid of was her feel, her warmth. Even in that brief second, they had been so close.

She was falling and floating at the same time and the amazement from such a sensation just trickled in. When the Ace caught her, his strong arms wrapping firmly around her waist as he pulled her up, Alice had merely beamed at him, her cheeks flushed at the novelty and the spontaneity of her actions. Perhaps it wasn't just Wonderland who needed saving but Alice needed a little saving from the person she had built herself to be, having forgotten how different Wonderland Alice had been.

Smiling up at Ace, she untangled herself from him. "Thanks for the catch!" She said cheerfully.

Last edited:
He cracked a small smile and let her go. The sudden change of attitude startled him, but he rolled with it. "Anytime, Alice," he replied, before starting heading back towards the village. "Must be a Wildcard thing, you floating kind of," he commented, walking with her.

"Floating?" Alice repeated before realizing Ace must have meant the moment when she had jumped. "I guess it might be. Humans tend to be drop like rocks and not float like cards." She frowned thoughtfully. Did that mean that she was becoming like one of them?

"You did fall faster than I did, because I'm the human personification of the card," he remarked. "Maybe you're a hybrid between card and human. It makes sense," he shrugged. Even though logic was not in great supply nor demand in Wonderland. He kept walking, staying close to the stream. Once, he stopped to cup his hands and take a drink. The water was cold and fresh. He smiled slightly, looking back at her. "In your world, is water this good?"

She didn't think she was but Alice thought she would keep her suspicions to herself for now, preferring not to share uncertain speculations that people would wrongly assume as the truth. Not to mention that this was Wonderland, anything was possible.

She had knelt down, cupping her hands together and drinking thirstily from the cool waters. "I think water tastes all the same wherever you go." Alice said noncommittally. "When you want something very badly, it is always sweeter when you attain it." Just like when the Queen of Hearts ruled over her kingdom and probably why she wanted to rule over Wonderland, Alice thought.

"Unless it isnt what you expected." He observed, starting to move again. They were almost to town now, and though night had completely fallen they could navigated by thr dim light of the town. "I think they have an inn where we can stay," he observed.

Alice dipped her head in agreement. The moon and stars were their only source of natural light now but it didn't seem to trouble Ace - or Alice, as they continued trekking towards the village. Was this just a quirk of Wonderland or an ability of the Aces and Wildcards? Alice suspected it was more of the former. She had been able to get around easily during her first trip in Wonderland after all.

"Sleep sounds like a nice option." Alice commented. She turned to look upwards. How much time had passed in the real world? Alice still couldn't quite remember how she had returned from Wonderland the last time and it made her nervous to think that she might not be able to find her way back this time.

They found the inn and went inside, Michsel holding the door for her. He was a gentleman, always would be. They were informed that only one room and bed were available, but a payment from the Ace secured that room and bed. "I can sleep on the floor, if you give me a pillow and blanket," he told Alice. He was not going to ask to share a bed with her, for fear of making her uncomfortable.

When they had arrived in the town, Alice had gotten the feeling that it was cramped, stuffed to the gills with both its locals and refugees as they passed streets to get to the local inn. The landlady had informed that that a single room was available and Ace had paid for it. Alice realized with a start that neither the King of Spades nor Rabbit had supplied her with any money before setting her off on her venture.

The bed was big enough so when Ace offered to take the floor, Alice had stopped him. "It's big enough for two people to sleep comfortably. As long as you don't get handsy, we're good." Alice told Ace. She really didn't mind. Ace had behaved in her company thus far and at the very worse, there was always a blade on hand if he tried anything funny.

"I don't want to invade your privacy," he told her. Michael walked to the window and looked out. Theybwere on the second story, so the window was a viable escape route if need be. "But if you insist, Alice," he conceeded. He chose a side and set his weapons against the wall within easy reach. "Wake me up if you need anything, okay?"

Alice didn't think sharing a bed for a night would bother her. Ace didn't seem to give her any strange vibes and he was oddly respectful towards her so Alice was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - not to mention he did pay for the room and it would just be unreasonable to make him sleep on the floor after that.

The left side of the bed was near the window which was something Alice appreciated, having always liked a bit of a breeze. "Will do, Ace." She said, just as she dumped her weapons on the floor beside her.

He smiled and rolled onto his side, facing away from Alice, letting his eyes close and sleep carry him away. He slept soudnly, but was plauged by nightmares. Things from his past surfacing again, haunting him. He was still, but he occasionally murmured in his sleep.

Alice was a bit of a light sleeper - a hangover from childhood days when fevered dreams about Wonderland haunted her sleep. Her father, in particular, was concerned for her and he had searched for any sort of help to no avail. Eventually the nightmares went away but the habit stuck.

She had been in the midst of a very confusing dream when she heard some mumbling and that instantly roused her. She had peeked through half lidded eyes before realizing it was Ace who was speaking, or rather talking in his sleep. He looked untroubled though so Alice merely turned over, although she made a mental note about the matter, before falling back asleep.

He woke just before dawn and slipped out of their room. He hunted for food and scrounged what he could, returning to the room shortly after Alice woke up. He had a loaf of bread, a pair of apples, and some water. "Morning," he said quietly to her. "This is the best I can do, ffood wise, from locally. I dom't want to break out the rations this early, and who wants pork and beans for breakfast?"

The bed was cold and Alice woke up instinctively, realizing her bed mate must have left some time ago. The room was empty of the man but it was not long before Ace did return, his arms bearing food. It definitely wasn't the standard breakfast fare that she was accustomed to but she gave Ace a grateful smile nonetheless.

"Good morning." She greeted in return as Ace placed the food on top of the blankets. Alice picked up an apple and took a bite. "Wonderland always did have delicious food." She said.

He sat on the edge and drew his sword, cutting the bread into slices and offering them to her. "Nice to see you got over your fear of eating here," he remarked. "Wait, wasnt it just cakes last time?" he wondered, eating a slice of bread. Now he was slightly worried about a mile high blonde beacon highlighting their position and advance.

"A cake and a mushroom." Alice corrected Ace.

She really shouldn't be afraid. Wonderland had taught her and even more. So what if she grew to the size of a house? Wouldn't that make it easier for her to handle any card army if she was ten times their size? Alice gave a snort of amusement. "Maybe I really should find that mushroom that made me grow taller and smaller at different times."

"We can, if you remember where it was," he observed, finishing a slice of bread before starting on his apple. "Might help with moving, the bigger you are the longer strides you take. But you would also be a mile high beacon to the cards," he pointed out as he looked at Alice.

Alice frowned and then shook her head a bit sadly. "No. I met Absalom there but I don't remember why we met or how I even got there." A lot of her memories about Wonderland were still fuzzy and for a brief moment, Alice wondered if this was a possible effect from Wonderland trying to protect itself from outsiders.

"As long as we're humans, or of humanoid shapes, we have an advantage over the card army." Alice pointed out.