The Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anarchy shrugged, rubbing her arm lightly. "I'll be okay." She said. 'Kalric.' she mouthed silently. A small green light twirled around her arm and she stopped rubbing it. "I think I'd like to come with you." She gave Elvira a half-smile.

Elvira clapped her hands and smiled.

"Good! Then please, follow me."

Elvira showed Anarchy many of the various sections of the island. They had walked quite a bit, and the sun was catching a bit of orange, when Elvira stopped and looked around. She made sure no one was watching or following them. The were standing in front of the forest, with massive signs saying 'warning' and 'danger' around it. They enter through a small, almost unnoticeable pathway among the impenetrable trees. "Don't worry, it's not long now." Anarchy heard ominous sounds around them, from creatures she didn't really fancy meeting in a place where movement was restricted such as this. They finally stopped in front of a small stone building. It was square in shape, and seemed to be of the same rocks as The Wall. "This just popped up the ground one day, together with a letter saying it was the entrance to the dungeon of quests. It said that only a select few would be granted access to it, and that it should be hidden from those who were unworthy." Elvira grabbed Anarchy's hand, and put it against the wall. The rocks moved, and created an opening. "Just like I thought. You've been communicating with The Wall. I'm surprised to see you have been granted access already, but it doesn't matter." Elvira put her own hand against the building. A similar hole opened. "I was also granted access, but the letter specifically told me not to go down to the deepest level. It told me to only guide the others who were worthy here, and if someone accidentally got inside I were to get them out. Anyway, if you feel like going down there I would recommend not doing it now, as it's nightfall soon. I should also warn you that you're not the first I have guided here, but those who have entered in the past have not gotten back up again..." After a moment of silence, Elvira smiled again. "Well, let's head back. You must be starving after not having anything to eat this whole time, and our cook, Bellevue, has probably whipped up another feast again."

As they got out of the forest, Elvira turned to Anarchy. "I must really return to my shop now. Feel free to look around some more, or head back to the inn if you want to. It was nice meeting you, Anarchy!" And with that, Elvira made her way back to the inn, öeaving Anarchy a bit confused over the recent course of events.

Anarchy stood there, bewildered as she tried to process everything. What...just...happened... Was her thought as she started back towards the inn. She stumbled in and started towards her room, deciding she'd write something down real quick and put her sword up before she went to eat. She unlocked her room with the key around her neck and entered, setting her sword down and picking up a small crimson red book.

-Day 1. I seemed to have 'spoke' to the wall. According to Elvira, one of the owners, I have been chosen. I saw the Dungeon of Quests. What is it? This is my recording for Day 1.-

She closed the book and slid it under the mattress of the bed, coming back out of her room and locking it. "Hmm..where was I supposed to go?" She mumbled to herself.

When Griffith arrived at the island, it was already getting late. The orange sky was both beautifully and eerily reflected in the still water surrounding his destination. He got off the ferry, and looked around a bit. He decided that he should go up to the inn and get his room first, as he didn't want to end up at night without a place to stay. So he walked up the slight slope that led to the inn, and entered through the front doors.

There was a man at the counter who greeted him, and after talking for a while he gave Griffith the keys to room 314. He went up to his room to drop off his things, and then headed back downstairs. He saw some people walking into one of the side corridors, and decided to follow them. Since so many people went there, it had to be a pretty interesting place. At the end of the corridor was two wide opened double doors with a sign over them, saying 'Elvira's alchemy shop' with the same symbol he had seen at the front doors under the text.

The inside of the shop was unexpectedly large, with potions of all the colours imaginable in small, round flasks hanging from the wall, and glass displays with enchanted items, weapons and armour in them. He walked through the many aisles of displays, and made his way to the counter. However, no one seemed to be there. Then, a door behind the counter opened, and a young woman in a brown alchemists uniform walked out. She smiled at Griffith.

"Hello, my name's Elvira, and I run this shop. Can I help you with anything?"

Griffith was a tall, lanky youth of what appeared to be middle-eastern origin, standing at just over six feet, with swept back ebony-colored hair held in a loose pony-tail, his dark eyes darting around the shop, taking in everything before turning down to settle on Elvira. "I dunno, can you help me with anything?" He asked in return. "I heard about this... this thing here- this wall, y'know? Story goes, so I've heard, that no one can climb over it, and all those alchemist people haven't been able to figure out a damn thing about it yet. But rumor has it that anyone who manages to cross over this wall can have any wish granted, so I figured I'd come and check it out for myself. So..." He leaned forward, resting an elbow on the counter and cupping his chin with his hand. "...Anything you can tell me about it? I'd be most appreciative." He finished with a grin, dropping a gold piece on the counter.

Elvira looked at the gold coin, and began to laugh.

"I'm sorry sir, but I don't take payments for that sort of thing."

She picked up the gold coin, and tossed it into the air. It fell down again with 9 other coins.

"The so called 'alchemist that hasn't been able to figure out a damn thing about it would be me, and I can tell you that those rumors are actually untrue. I know quite a lot about The Wall."

She collected all the coins in the palm of her hand, and when she let go there was only one coin left again.

"But whether you should be able to take part of this top secret information is not for me to decide."

She gave the coin back to Griffith. "You keep this. I suggest you go out to The Wall tomorrow and see for yourself. If you notice anything interesting, report back to me and I'll be able to tell if you're worthy or not. Be sure to read the signs listing the methods of crossing that doesn't work, though."

Griffith looked down at the coin in Elvira's hand, then back up at her, his eyes darting between the two as an undreadable expression coming across his face... And then he burst out laughing, taking the coin and slipping it into a pocket. "That was pretty good! I like you, you've got spunk." He grinned. "Anyway, I think I'll take your advice and go see this wall for myself. I'll see ya around!" He said cheerfully, turning and walking towards the door, one hand raised in a casual wave to Elvira. Making his way to his room, he fell back on his bed, hands behind his bed as he grinned again- The coming days should prove to be fun!

Early the next morning, before the sun broke the horizon, Griffith was up, casually walking around the wall, stroking his chin thoughtfully as he studied it. "well..." He thought to himself. "... I can't figure a damn thing out!" Annoyed, he growled, deciding to sit back and watch other people check the wall- maybe he could figure something out by watching them! This thought in mind, he sat down and leaned against the wall, running a small amount of heat through his back to warm the chilly stone.

He suddenly felt a sharp searing sensation on his back. Since he was used to heat it didn't bother him, but he could still recognize something was up. He turned around to look what had happened. In scalding red letters that quickly disappeared when a breeze flew by, it seemed like The Wall was talking to Griffith.

"You're warm. Have you been running to much? I can be warm, too. But I can't run."

Griffith's eyes widened considerably as he saw the words which faded away. "No way." He deadpanned, giving the wall a flat stare. "You can talk?" A grin split his face. "That is so freaking awesome! So, what kind of wall are you? What can you tell me about yourself? Can you really grant wishes? You reacted to my heated magic, do you react to lightning manipulation as well?" He questioned, pestering the wall with repeated pokes. Without any hesitation, he channeled a small jolt of electricity into the wall, wondering what kind of response he'd get.

Words rapidly flashed by in response to his fast speech.

"You're talking to fast. It hurts trying to think. You're being mean. I don't think I like you."

Suddenly, Griffith felt as if he was propelled backwards by a mighty force. He was sent fling, crashing into the second floor of the inn, falling down to the ground, and passed out.

He woke up in a small bed. His head felt heavy, and he noticed bandages on several parts of his body. He was probably drugged with something, too, becuase his mind was racing like crazy. He tried to look around and get a grip of his surroundings. There were glass cabinets, drawers, a few more beds but they were all empty. It was probably an infirmary, but Griffith couldn't remember why he would be in here. Then, he noticed a figure on his left side, standing on a small stool and arranging things on a shelf. He tried to focus his stare to get a good look. The person was clad all in black, with some white. It was probably a nun's attire. He was then struck by the creature's beauty. She had full hips, a small waist, large breasts, and ivory skin with a flush of rose on her cheeks. He thought how she had to be even more beautiful under all that clothing, for it to show through all that fabric. He thought he'd try to speak to her.

"What's cookin', good lookin'?" A weird thing to say. The woman seemed to be caught by surprise, as she let out a small shriek, or rather a peep, and fell off the stool on her behind. Griffith could hear the sound of breaking glass. Something must've been broken. "Ow, ow, ow..." Said the woman as she rubbed her behind. Then she noticed the broken flasks in front of her. "Oh no! Lady Elvira will be so mad at me! That's the third batch I've ruined just this month..." She hurried up on her feet, and grabbed a broom and a bucket and started sweeping the mess on the floor into it. She then wiped the floor, and sighed heavily. Then she remembered the man in the room, and quickly turned around to him She tried to keep a calm composure, but she was obviously still embarrassed, evidenced by her red flushed face.

"So you've come to? You were in a nasty fight with The Wall. I wonder what you did to deserve that punishment, though... Oh, sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm sister Margharethe, or rather, Margharethe, sister in training. I'm from the monastery of Friedenburg, and I was sent her to, I mean, for an internship... Basically, I'm the head nurse here, since lady Elvira is too busy with her shop."

Griffith lay in bed for a moment, his head cocked to the side with a thoughtful frown on his face as he remembered the events leading up to this moment. "Grrr... That damn wall! Is it tryin' ta pick a fight or sumthin'?!" He thought, annoyed, as he turned his gaze back to the sister, who was standing there, staring at him. With a sigh, he let his frustration slide away. "Well, I guess I was bein' a little pushy with the thing, so I'll forgive it... this once. But if it happens again, ZAP! Lightning bolt up the crack!" A grin spread across his face as he threw the covers back and lept out of bed. "WA HA HA! Well, that wall certainly knows how to throw a whatever attack it hit me with!" He laughed boisterously, one hand resting on his hip while he rubbed his nose with the other.

Walking over to the sister, he leaned against the counter. "You said your name was Margharethe, right? You're really cute when you blush, you know that?" He asked with a wink. "Anyway, don't worry about whatever this was that you messed up- it was my fault really, and I feel bad about it. So just place all the blame on me, I don't care at all! I'll pay whatever she asks." He saod honestly, with a litling, flirtatious edge to his voice. "Anyway, how long have I been out for?"

Margharethe blushed even more by his straight forwardness, but she tried to hide it by turning her head away and covering part of her face up with her sleeve.

"Not that long, sir. Only a couple of hours. I would suggest you stay in bed a little while longer though, because the recovery potion will kick in soon and you wanna be asleep by then. So just lay down, and I'll give you some more sedatives..." Before she could finish, a sharp pain flowed through the entirety of Griffith's body. It was as if every little cell down to the last toenail was corrected and ironed out. It sent him into a spasm that lasted for 5 minutes. Margharethe held him down to the bed, but when it was over, he sprung back up again. "Woohoo, that's good stuff! Alright, I'll be going, sister. A pleasure seeing ya." He winked at her again, and before she could stop him, he was already out of the infirmary. She sighed, but she knew that he would be okay after the recovery potion was finished. He would probably still be coocoo for a couple of hours or so.

Griffith walked out from a small corridor and into what looked like a waiting room, and then through a larger corridor. He found himself in the lobby, being greeted by Madogan. The smell of delicious, rich food oozed out from the dining room next to him. It was probably lunch time. His tummy growled. He hadn't really eaten anything today.

Sticking his nose into the air, Griffith followed the heavenly smell of mutton stew into the dining room. "That smells great!" He exclaimed loudlly, going over to where the stew was simmering on a stove-top. Looking around, he quickly found a large bowl and a ladle. Filling the bowl and grabbing a loaf of bread, he made his way over to a near-by table and sat down. "Hey, can I get a mug of beer?" He asked, looking around, where he spotted a barrel and some cups. "Never mind, I've got it!" He exclaimed, waving Madogan down as he got up and filled one of the cups before going back to his meal. "So, Madogan, was it?" He asked, pulling a crust of bread off and used it as a spoon, scooping up a hearty helping of stew and wolfing it down. Swallowing, he turned his attention back to Madogan. "You mind giving me the low-down on that Elvira lady and miss Margharethe, as well as the surrounding area? Also, anyone else around that I should take note of?" He enquired.

Anarchy glanced around and decided to follow a few people who were making their way in one direction. After following them for a little bit they led her into a dining hall, where she looked around a little. She got a little bit of food. Most people would see it and think she was anorexic or something, but oh no, she just didn't eat much, yet she still had enough energy to last her two weeks without sleep, she still had enough nutrition to thrive, and was perfectly healthy and safe with such a small amount of food. She sat down at a small table. Next to her was a table with Madogan and some other man who seemed to have just had an encounter with the wall. She looked back to her food and tool a small bite of the soup, smiling at the warm taste.

Madogan laughed.

"That's a lot of questions you ask, sir. Well, Elvira is a bit of an enigma, even to me. I know of how wonderful, intelligent, funny and beautiful she is, but I know close to nothing about her past. She told me her parents died when she was young, and that she grew up in the city of alchemists, Terramagnia. If you know anything about alchemists, you'll know that alchemists are the highest ranked practitioners of magic, and that there are ten 'degrees' an alchemist can earn, 1 being the lowest in rank and 10 being the highest. You'll also know that reaching the high ranks of alchemy is so extremely difficult, that the ones with the highest ranks are three people at level 7, meaning there is no one alive with the ranks 8, 9, or 10. Elvira told me that she studied and earned rank 3, and then left Terramagnia, but I don't have a clue why a girl would leave a city like that at such a young age. Especially not with her potential. You see, I met her when she was just 15 years old. I bet if she had just stayed a while longer, she could easily climb up the ranks, maybe even up to par with those in level 7.

As for Margharethe, she's more of Elvira's own project. Margharethe was a nun at the chapel in the capital of religion, Friedenburg, who studied to become a practitioning nurse. However, to do so, you must fulfill a 5 year practical program, and no one wanted to accept Margharethe because of her... Special properties. However, Elvira was very eager to hire Margharethe, and works hard to teach her everything she needs to know. Maybe it's because she recognizes a bit of herself in poor Margharethe, but how she found out about her in the first place I have no clue.

The island is also mostly Elvira's work. She's used her potions and magic to make it a suitable place to live for just about anyone. She even made sure to keep one lot of land empty, so that anyone who wanted to move here on their own could do so, but no one has... Yet.

Finally, I suppose there is one more person you ought to know about." He pointed to a hole through the wall into the kitchen, where a quite large woman was standing, stirring in a steaming pot. "That's Bellevue, the cook here at the inn. A couple of years ago, when we just got started and Margharethe wasn't around, her son got in an accident at The Wall. He was hurt really badly, even worse than you. I still remember it to this day... He was mostly a pile of meat and bones when we rescued him, but Elvira used her skills and made him as good as knew. Bellevue has felt an enormous sense of gratitude towards Elvira since then, and so she works her voluntarily for practically nothing."

Madogan took a big clunk of mead, and stood up. "Well, I ought to get back to work. Don't get into anymore trouble, now!"

Griffith grinned at his drinking partner.. "Thanks for the info! And don't worry, I'll try 'n cause as much trouble as possible! But only for those who deserve it!" He laughed, downing his stew in one huge gulp. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a wall to go apologize to!" He exclaimed, getting up from his seat and taking his bowl to the back counter before heading for the exit, bread in hand as he passed by the pale, skinny looking girl who'd just sat down. "Why hello there." He said with a warm, sultry grin- and then he was out the door, heading forward with one distinct purpose.

A short time later he approached the wall, being more cautious this time as he sat down in front of it, staring at it's blank surface. "Hey..." He started, placing his hands on his knees. "I ain't too good at this kinda thing, but... Y'know... Sorry, about pesterin' ya and all that stuff this morning, I mean." He apologized, reaching out with one hand and placing it on the wall.

Anarchy only glanced at Griffith before he left. Hmm..wonder if the wall talks to him too.. She thought to herself, recalling his claim of needing to apologize. I might should look into that.. She continued to eat, watching the exit a moment longer before looking at what she was eating as she ate.

The Wall repelled his hand. More fleeting words appeared over the surface.

"You made me feel stupid. I don't like feeling stupid."

-

When Anarchy had finally finished eating her food and was about to leave the dining hall, she bumped into a mysterious man dressed in black who was also exiting the room. He hurriedly continued past Anarchy, without even saying sorry for rushing into her. She then noticed an open book on the floor. The man had probably dropped it.

"Hey, you dropped something." She said, bending down to pick it up. As she looked at the pages of the book, it was as if she was filled with an incredible darkness. It felt like a mysterious force was banging on the door to her mind, wanting to get in. Had she not governed over ice and shadows, basic elements of darkness, her soul might not have been powerful enough to withstand it for very long. Suddenly, the sensation that had washed over her snapped away, and she noticed that the man from before had picked his book up, and was glaring at Anarchy. He then scurried away, and vanished up the stairs.

Griffith frowned, crossing his arms over his chest. "Awww, c'mon, don't be like that! I didn't mean to upset ya, I just never met a wall that has a mind of it's own before! Can ya blame a guy for bein' curious?" He asked grumpily. "Come on, uhhh... Mr. Wall! Just tell me what I can do to make it up to ya and show ya that I'm sorry!"

The wall didn't respond immediately, as it appeared to be thinking. Finally, it responded in a playful yellow colour.

"Ooh, I know just the thing! Hihi, why don't you come play a game with me? I won't talk to you again if you don't win, though!"

Just as The Wall had said, it didn't speak to Griffith again. What was this game it wanted to play, though? maybe it was time to report back to Elvira, and tell her what he had spoken to The Wall about.

-

Chi arrived at island silently. Without talking to anyone, or taking any particular interest in her surroundings, she walked up to the inn. Madogan greeted her, and began one of his chats, but when she didn't respond to him he settled with giving her a key to room 356, and letting her be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.