Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston Police Department - Southwest Division

"...and together we pray in your name O' Father. We fall on our knees to thank you for your protection in these dark days. We hold you dearly in our hearts as we remain true to your image. Our humanity is tested, but we triumph as you sought out this plan for us all. We will continue to do your work as vessels and sacrifice our needs for that of the greater good. We thank you for protecting our leaders and our children. For providing us with just enough food to carry on. We will continue to bow before you Lord, for we are strong with you in our corner. Amen."

Father Walters delivered communion with the group of survivors. Finalizing his prayer, he opened his eyes to find little Daniel - Jose's son - starring right at him with grim eyes. A darkness stained his lower lash line, screening a sense of sleeplessness or worry. The boy muttered something under his breath - indistinctive, but obtrusive enough for both Jose and Miss Walkers to hear. They broke prayer with an amen and opened their eyes to find the boy once again unknowingly transfixed. Jose touched his boy's shoulder, calling his attention. "Estes bien hijo?" he asked, questioning Daniel's wellbeing.

The boy turned slowly towards his father, breaking character and dashing into his father's arms. Jose hugged the boy - a repetitive action during communion. Daniel didn't speak English so his father was the only person able to communicate with him fluently. At only seven years only, he was also very wary of other adults and still didn't understand what had become of the world. "Tienes que rezar hijo, diosito nos va a protejer," Jose stated, trying to emphasize the need for prayer to which God would answer with protection and safety. Daniel looked at his father questionably, then turned to Father Walters to see him smiling back. "No me gusta Dios," he responded, disturbing Jose's relaxed state. Father Walters then interrupted by brining some closure to the boy's distress. He told the two that fear still clouded Daniel's mind and devotion to the Lord would come instinctively as he grew older. He stressed that devotion was necessary in times of peril as it displayed a sense of holding onto the world that was - and one that will come again.

"I undertand son. You have not seen God in action. You have not seen his plan for us or the safety he's provided because of those things outside. But I assure you, he is here, all around. He watches over us. When I was in Spain, I took classes in Latin and Spanish. I may not speak it fluently, but I do understand it. In my time there, the church recited the Lord's Prayer everyday, so I have memorized it by heart. Allow me to speak it now. Padre nuestro, que estás en el cielo. Santificado sea tu nombre. Venga tu reino. Hágase tu voluntad en la tierra como en el cielo. Danos hoy nuestro pan de cada día. Perdona nuestras ofensas, como también nosotros perdonamos a los que nos ofenden. No nos dejes caer en tentación y líbranos del mal. Amén."

Jose appeared wowed by Father Walter's lack of accent while speaking Spanish. He clapped in amusement and bumped his son's shoulder, indirectly asking him if he just heard what he heard. The boy appeared shocked, like if he had heard something he wasn't supposed to. "I think it would be perceptive to continue our English lessons. Maybe twice a day now, rather than once? If you are okay with that Daniel," Father Walter's proposed, displaying a genuine smile of affection.

Jose translated what Father Walter's suggested to his son who did not seem too content with the idea. Those same eyes from before returned as he looked down towards the ground and away from everyone. "Es para tu bien." Daniel bit his lower lip, nodding no to his father as his eyes became filled with panic. "Daniel. Vas a practicar ingles con Padre Walter. Entiendes? Deja entrar a diosito, es necesario o si no, no nos protejera."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horde Proximity - Frank and DJ

"Goddamm..." Frank uttered perplexedly as he watched a horde of about three hundred walkers make their way down the interstate. It didn't even look like human figures, but instead a united mass treading through zoned out territory. It was alarming to see this large bulk, fortunately they knew about it and could act accordingly. There was still questions on how to fight these monsters; they weren't all bright, nor physically strong, but an amount of this magnitude could definitely change the odds. As assumed before, waiting them out could be intelligent, but one wrong move and they'd be surrounded. Frank was thinking as DJ started to freak out again - fortunately this time around he kept his trap shut.

"We could try and lure them in a different direction. Keep them from even making it to the station. Yeah....yeah that'll work. It has too," Frank suggested, lodging his proposal into law. That's when the realization of barriers streamed into thought. The roads leading in and out of the city were all blocked by inoperative vehicles. Their cruiser wouldn't be able to make it through the tight loopholes. The only way in and out was on foot and leading a horde so immense at a walking pace would become too dangerous - even if they were armed. There was also the possibility of clearing the streets, but it was too late as the horde wasn't too far out. At this rate, they'd make it to the station in about half a day at best.

"Fuck!" Frank cursed as he looked at the horde one last time before turning towards DJ. He moved towards the teenager and forced him to calm down; regain his breath and personify. "Relax. Now, where did you see Tyler last?" DJ gulped, nerves still getting the best of him. His legs appeared to be shivering even though it wasn't cold. He was moving like a pendulum, back and forth like a madman.

"I umm....I don't really know. We separated to find supplies, I saw the walkers and I ran. We got separated and I ended up at the pet store. Then I left to the station cus' he wasn't coming, I couldn't wait for em."

"No! You decided to fucking leave him! That's why were fucking here." Frank proclaimed as he forcefully bumped his way past DJ and told him to tailgate along. The idea was to head to the pet store where they had planned a rendezvous.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pet Store - Tyler

An outline entered the emergency exit of the pet store, crawling through the confines of a trashed aisle. He remained silent, shadowing over the litter boxes as he neared on two unknown voices. The light tone of their voice indicated their sex as female, but there was an obvious timbre of peril. The shadow was Tyler, the same person Frank and DJ were looking for. He peeked between the shelves and noticed the armory both women wielded. He pulled out his own pistol and started closing in on them, waiting for his chance to strike.

The opportunity came when the girl facing away from him lowered her rifle. He jumped out of hiding and screwed the nose of his handgun to the side of the female's head, holding her wrist and pulling her hand away from her blade. He pulled her back with him, setting some distance between them and the barbed-wire wielding white girl. "Put that gat down or I'll shoot her!" he threatened. He had heard their conversation prior and knew they weren't friends, but the fact that they hadn't killed each other meant one of the two had some humanity left in them. Getting the girl with the rifle was the smart play.

"You too China bitch, unstrap your shit" he commanded - wanting Su-rin to put down her rifle so he could claim it as his own. Tyler was just as afraid as the two women ought to be. He didn't exactly plan for this interaction, but guns in this world were like diamonds in the old one. He looked around to see if there was anyone else as DJ was supposed to be there so they could leave together. His absence and their complete ignorance made it clear that he either never showed up or already left.

"I want all your food too. Your shit is mine now."

Interaction: @Mars Walker and @Mr. Calcium

Reactions: OppositeInverse
Su-rin was just about to walk over to the girl with the bat but was taken by surprise when someone grabbed her from behind. She felt the end of a handgun pressed up to the temple of her head and sighed knowing that screaming would only attract unwanted attention. She didn't strap off her equipment because she could understand this man was not here with a clear mindset, this was an action out of pure desperation.

She looked over to Samara and began talking to the man holding her hostage. "You know that she does not care if I die or not right? You also know I can shoot open the window, giving her time to run away but time for me to take you down with me. You're a weak person, that is very clear. You wouldn't dare hurt a fly. You're a desperate little ant."

Su-rin knew she had a single chance to disable the man. He had not been holding her left hand, which made the situation a bit easier at least. She kicked backwards against his thigh with her right foot to distract him while with a swift movement of her left hand, she took a hold of her knife and swung backwards to stick it right into his thigh.

As quickly as possible, she turned around on him aiming her rifle towards his head. "As weak as you might be, I am not."
She looked over to Samara and pointed at his handgun. "Take that away from him will you? We need to keep this guy here until some help arrives"
Su-rin would also lean down a bit and still pointed her rifle at him. "I'm Korean by the way. Learn your Asians"

Samudra hadn't hesitated for a second, keeping her bat on the offense while Su-rin took the attacker out swiftly. She was surprised the girl was so quick on her feet, but then figured that she wouldn't have survive the apocalypse if she weren't able to handle herself. She walked forwards and lowered her bat, Buster growling lowly at the fallen attacker from inside her backpack as if to warn him. Samudra grabbed the handgun and put the safety on, and stuck it into the back of her pants, "You're definitely not getting this back, asshole..." She growled.

Samudra's expression was fixed into an annoyed frown as she spoke, "This guy's a real dumbass..." She huffed, "And honestly, I only have dog food on me. I mean if you like Purina One's tender cuts in gravy mix...You look to be just the right amount of crazy desperate to eat dog food..." She trailed off, nudging the guy's face with her foot, "And you're in Texas, hun, you ought to know by now not to underestimate two armed women," Samudra looked to Su-rin with an accepting smirk, "I'm Samudra Holland, by the way. I'd be happy to join up with ya." She nodded at Su-rin, holstering her bat.

"By the way, is help coming? I sure as hell don't have anyone. So unless you're with another group, it's just you, me, the desperate weirdo, and the walkers." She spoke calmly despite the situation, reaching back to scratch under her dog's chin.

Leaned against the wall, his demeanor unchanged. Dayton was annoyed, and all he did for now was to be calm and collected. Keeping his eyes fixated on the surface beneath him, he listened to Autumn and her reasons, or rather, her opinion on the matter at hand. Staying cooped up in a damn cell was not only frustrating, it was horrible.

Dayton was not suppose to be in there for such a long time. The world outside took a turn for the worst and stayed that way. Even if he was inside when it all happened, when the dead walked among the living, he did not witness the change. His eyes darted ever so slightly in the direction of Autumn who approached the bars, asking him a question.

His hands were pocketed, and all he could do was laugh at what she said. A short laugh if anything, before he too, approached the bars, the only thing between Dayton and Autumn were the bars, and the one thing keeping him away from freedom. "Don't we all?" He gave a response, but with a question instead.

Turning to his side, he took a few steps, pocketing his hands in the process. Turning his face in the direction of the woman, he continued. "Deep down, we're all capable of doing something horrific. Something unforgivable. Something that could have been sparked by madness.. As you put it." A sigh escaped his lips. There was no reason for Dayton to let the anger inside him take control.

His eyes looked back into Autumn's but Dayton did not look away. "It doesn't matter what I say. With someone like Frank, the people you both are keeping safe in this temporary haven will crumble. And not because of the dead outside, but because of the one in charge."

A smirk came across his lips, before he broke eye contact. Looking away, he cleaned the sweat off of his face with his jacket. "Why don't you ask him that very same question.."

Taking a seat, all he could do was wait and see what would happen next. Perhaps the people inside the police department heard his conversation with Autumn. Good, that is how it's suppose to be. They should know before its too late. "People are scared. They ought to know before its too late.."

"My usefulness has already outweighed this.."

"But thanks.." Dayton did consider her opinion honest if anything, but the feeling was mutual in the end. Could he trust her?

No.

@The Dapper Mog

Reactions: The Dapper Mog
The various teachers listen in as Mr. Nigma told his behalf of experience. His name sounded like one of those comic book characters Mel had read about while stuck at the school. He mentions his family, everyone showing a bit of remorse, but Edward didn't seem to shaken up about it, in fact he rather joked in a dark manner about putting an end to his family and mentioning a pop quiz even. And then the real horror came, one that was even more terrifying than the horde below. They were deserted, left by the military. The man who was also foreign military would know if a federal protocol was in place. Mel's nose burned as tears begin to well in her eyes. The teachers shared the same uneasiness, Mr. Law even calling bullshit.

Mel eased over to the edge and looked down at what Edward called the "undead". How they operated, how the infection worked, and seemingly the only way to kill them. The surreal information was too much overload for a 17 year old girl to process, as she shook her head in disbelief. Giving Edward a look of disapproval. How can they be dead!? They are walking, conscious things. Was she supposed to believe that these things were really...deceased? The truth she didn't want to face was coming to confrontation.

Mr. Johnson smiles when Edward gives them the old leave or stay ultimatum. "Guys take Edwards weapon she to where we keep the arms." A few teachers take his arms and move into the school building as Stein and Law remain with Johnson to keep the man suppressed, ready for even the slightest move of opposition from him. Johnson then looks over the ledge and stares at Edward. "Back the way you came it is." Law and Stein look with skepticism, as Mel thinks to herself how much of a goner he is if that happens. The way he came was filled with draggers now, and below was a death factory. Even Law who sort of disliked Edward showed a bit sympathy. Mel speaks up.

"There's no way he'll live..."

Johnson rebutted to his behest of the school and students. "That's his problem. He's already the shown us he's capable of pointing guns at people who are innocent. Teachers and students. This the type of man you want here? You see how he insulted us upon us being cautious? Types like him do things like that because they think they can, they see weakness and they manipulate it. Well we ain't weak! So get your ass up, and get back climbing."

Mr. Johnson gives him space, Law and Stein also a sizable distance away so that he couldn't make immediate moves to counter. They had the door inside guarded in case he tried to rush inside. All that was left was the ledge. Mel felt like she could say something, but what could she do? Johnson made a fair point. Just then, the first floor windows break as the draggers seem to burst through on the inside. Mel and a few students that heard became alert, but the had the first floor well barricaded so the draggers weren't a threat to them. Yet. Edward seemed to lose that's bravado he came in with as he's faced with his mortality, at least that's what Mel read from his face. Johnson clocks back the hammer on the gun, waiting for Edward to climb down to death. Stein speaks up.

"We can't do this. Why don't we keep him locked up? He's still a person." Mel then agreed. "Mr. Johnson she's right, we can't kill him it's a death sentence. Why don't we keep him on the roof? He's up here with the Mag light, he has no weapons now, and he has nowhere to go but down and he won't do that because he doesn't wanna die."

Johnson thinks long and hard, still aiming at him, before nodding and showing his first ounce of empathy. "Okay. We'll see if what he says is true. The radios are up and we got a frequency with feedback, so we'll see how much he's telling the truth. I'd rather him just make a move to be a badass again so I can shoot him in the face." Johnson says right in front of Nigma with everyone listening. "Ed, can I call ya that? One thing you gotta know. I'll protect these people with everything I got. Don't get in the way of that." Johnson then leaves Stein and Law to guarding him, ordering Mel to kill her Magnesium light for now because of Edward's words. He leaves. Mel goes over to the light and refuses to shut it off.

"I'm not cutting this thing off. Nunca. Just because he says the military ain't coming we believe him. That may be HIS experience but that don't make it true for us. Plus there are others out there that may need help."

Law asks Ed about the inner city, saying he has family that was working there, and Stein asks about the residential area she's from, hoping Edward might have been there and seen something. They were looking for hope. Finally, after Edward replies them. Mel speaks up herself.

"....have you heard anything from the Elementary School? My little brother SJ was there when all this hit. Its been six weeks. Have you heard anything!? Or even NRG Energy corporation? My dad is a partner there."

@RiddL

Edward was about ready to grab the teacher and take him over the edge with him when the girl spoke up, along with the other teachers. Edward let out a small sigh of relief, he may not have his weaponry back yet, but this was a start. He got back to his feet and worked circulation to his legs where a small numbness had set in when he was berated with questions.

"Whoa slow it down to a gallop. Let me think, inner city is the last place anyone really wants to be, thats where the really nasty ones are, vast majority of the population there have been turned and those that are living have some serious hardware or bunkers. If your family was there, there's a small chance they escaped but it's not impossible. Turns out the Preppers had it right for once." he said answering Law's, watching his eyes flitter with both dread and hope for his family.

"From what I can tell last time I was there, the residential area was a feeding ground but there are definitely survivors banding together and getting out, from what I can tell everyone is going south. I just hope its safe down there. Sorry if that doesn't help but it's the best I've got." He said about Stein's questions, hoping the woman got the info she wanted.

He turned to Mel and put his hand through his beard, trying to think of the elementary school she mentions, he has been there before but wonders if its best to tell her. "I guess I said I'd answer what I could... The school there is totalled, windows are non existant, roof has collapsed in places, Zs swarming the place like vultures. Now I'm not saying your brother is dead or turned but alot of those things were children, I stayed well away from that place because I've had to kill one like that and I don't think I can do it again." he stopped and pulled out his flask, the action putting the other teachers on guard until they saw what it was.

He took a deep drink out of it and offered it to Law and Stein, "My faithful friend and companion lives in that bottle since my Alissa and Kylar were mercied. If I seem like a bad person, and I know I am one, I apologize, but last time I trusted anyone they tried to knife me in my sleep." He was handed the flask back after Law and Stein had a drink, Stein coughing sporadically from the strength of the whiskey in there.

"As for NRG I honestly couldn't tell you, I haven't been there. Sorry kid." he said genuinely sorry he couldn't provide answers.

He looked the girl in the eyes and lost all his joking demeanour, "This place has a lab and lab equipment, and you have intelligence hiding in those eyes of yours. What have you tried against these things, what do you know that I don't?" he asked her seriously.

The event unfolded differently than Tyler had anticipated. His advantage was easily mirrored as the 'Korean' girl surprised him with a forceful boot against his right thigh. The attack took his eyes away from his hostage and it became his downfall as a sharp blade pierced his skin. "AAAHHHHH!!!" he yelled in pain as the other female stripped him of his handgun and claimed it her own. He fell to the floor, Su-rin's rifle pointed right at his head as blood started gushing out of his leg.

Tyler acted quickly, running both his hands down his anterior and pressing down on his wound. His eyes were wide open, mind nudging him to pull the knife out, but heart telling him to leave it in. It was a personal conflict that led him to do absolutely nothing but stare at his blood-loss. It wasn't until yet another boot made contact with him that he snapped out of it.

Samurdra pressed the sole of her foot against his chin, mushing his temple against the cold floor. "Stop" he muttered between his fish lips, the females talking amongst themselves and unaware of the danger that brewed behind their very eyes. When Tyler had first entered the store, light beamed through the window blinds. Now, shadows corroded the light away. Bodies started to clash against the storefront, moaning and gnawing at the walls that stood between them and the survivors. "GET OFFF!" Tyler grumbled as he pushed Samudra's foot off his face and started crawling backwards towards the exit door.

He didn't care about the women, he just needed to get out of there as quickly as possible. He'd seen first hand what the walkers could do and it looked like there were plenty of them out front. As he dragged himself through the aisle, he left a trail of blood. His eyesight started to blur from the blood loss and his breathing a little bit more raspy than usual. "Fuck..." he cursed in a whisper until he was silent. He felt weak and couldn't drag his body-weight anymore. He didn't even make it far, he looked back and the women were still there.

Suddenly, a moan echoed within the store. Tyler's shock shot sudden adrenaline through his veins - an unexpected dribble of strength allowing him to move backwards and away from the sound. "There's one in here!!" he shouted to the two women, sitting up and lugging his ass back to their vicinity. Just as he reached them, a walker tumbled through an aisle and spotted the three survivors. He must have entered through the open back exit. He limped their way, swaying left and right as though unable to keep his balance. The thing was missing an eye, it's clothes almost completely torn away displaying his lack of muscle and skin. It's teeth rotten to the core, sunken into it's mouth like ass-mouth. "Fucking kill that thing!"

Behind them the storefront continued to tremble as walkers crashed their entire bodies against the door. One could hear the windows cracking from the force of the blows. Tyler decided to pull the knife out of his leg, which grew to be one of the most painful physical experiences he ever underwent. Blood started pouring from the gash in his quad, so he pressed firmly against the flow. He couldn't feel that leg anymore, but the pain was unbearable. "You fucking killed me," he thought to himself, looking up at Su-rin as she faced the walker.

@Mars Walker
@Mr. Calcium

Su-rin frowned and looked towards the window hearing all the walkers push up against it. She understood it was gonna get very dangerous soon when she noticed Tyler crawling towards them again. She quickly took her knife from Tyler and looked at Samura while pointing at the walker coming at them.
"Go and keep that one busy. I'm treating his wound because I am not leaving anyone behind. I just can't."

As Samura would deal with the walker, Su-rin cut off the bottom part of her shirt. She crouched down next to Tyler and took a bottle of water from her bag. She poured water over his wound before tightly wrapping the piece of shirt around the wound to try and stop the bleeding. She stood up right again and held her hand out towards Tyler.
"Even after you were an asshole to us, and threatened to kill us, come with us. I couldn't stand letting anyone die. I'll protect you"

Su-rin looked at Samura while aiming her gun into an aisle. She would be ready to protect all three of them.
"We need to get out of here now! Can you clear the way in front of us? I'll have your back."
She turned back to Tyler still with her hand out towards him.
"Don't try and screw us over again. I might not want to kill you, but she probably doesn't mind."

Samudra nodded in response to Su-rin's order and looked over her shoulder at the walkers banging on the windows and doors as Su-rin helped the unstable boy, hearing the glass in the windows start to crack, and the door beginning to give. It gave her a feeling of deep, bone-cold fear. The fear gave way for a rush of adrenaline, and she turned to the walker coming at them, swinging her barbed wire bat at it's head. The impact made the rotting corpse's head cave in, blood splattering from the wound. The walker fell down, and Samudra gave it one more hit to the skull for good measure.

She looked to Su-rin, and then to Tyler, "Yeah. I'll clear the way. And she's right, I won't hesitate to bash your skull in if you compromise this for us. I will use you as Walker bait." She growled, moving past both of them in a hurry towards the back of the store, raising her bat as another straggling Walker came at her, swinging at it's head, and getting a clean hit that knocked the undead man's head right off. Samudra could feel her heart hammering in her chest, feeling like it was going to jump out of her throat. Her stomach felt uneasy as well, but she charge through the fear and made her way to the back door, looking back to make sure her two new partners in crime were following. She opened the door with her bat raised, and peered to the left, out into the alleyway behind the store. There was a dumpster, four dead, half-eaten bodies, and one more struggling and starved Walker coming towards the door. To the right, the alleyway continued down to a different street, and her heart stopped when a small horde of walkers moved to block it, their groans and hissing growing louder as they noticed the three living beings.

Samudra took to the left, kicking the lone Walker down and bashing it's head in without even blinking. She ran to the end of the alley, looking out to the street, seeing that if they ran fast enough, they'd have a nearly clear shot to get across the street to an alley that Samudra had been familiar with; she had used the rooftop for a couple of days in the past week as a safe hideout.

She took a deep breath and spoke urgently to the two behind her "Okay, we're gonna make a dash across the street, there's a ladder leading to the rooftop up over there, and we're gonna climb it. Just be quick, and don't fuck up. I won't be stopping to pick your asses up!" She growled, and without hesitating, Samudra rushed out of the alley as the horde of Walkers behind them began to get too close for comfort. A Walker on the street came at Samudra from her left side, and she shoved it away with the tip of her bat before slamming the bat over the top of it's head, it's skull caving in, pieces of the rotted flesh and bits of brain sticking to the barbed wire.

@-QT-
@Mr. Calcium

Mel watched as Law and Stein took a sip from the man's flask, their faces still primed and not giving in to this stranger of a threat. HE seemed alright enough, but with a building full of kids and a foreign military figure waving his weapons gung-ho, couldn't be trusted. Which made the next bit of news all the more difficult for her to bear. Edward has told her of MacGregor elementary, and with the others receiving news that their places of interest was run down, Carmella joined in the sad and misery of the teachers. Bryan saw her eyes well with tears, as he opens the roof door and stares at Edward menacingly. He attempts to comfort Mel but she pulls away, the tears finally dropping.

"How do we know we can even trust this guy?" Bryan speaks up. "For all we know this is just another attempt ta' get our guard down so he can get his weapons back. I ain't trusting him a bit." Stein then interjects him: "Bryan back inside and take Mel with you. We know what you're saying, and if he mistakes our kindness for weakness then that's the price he'll pay. Just get inside and stay safe."

Bryan comes to retrieve Mella as she jerks away from him with teary eyes and looks at Edward. "It can't be....it CANNOT. You just say things don't ya? You have no idea who's alive! You're not even from OUR country! Our military! Your word don't mean anything!" She was just scared. Her heart was pounding. The the thought of knowing her brother could be dead, or worse, has seized her body with pure fear. She fights back tears with a solid will to prevent showing weakness to this stranger of a survivor. Stein attempts to come over to her to comfort her, but Mel shuns her and points to Edward. "Keep your gun on him...this could be what he wants." She sniffles and inside she can't believe she just said that. He was a person, a human being. Even though he seemed selfish and a bit of a dick, was this what it came to? On the outside, her face was as stoic as a lion's. Edward then spoke to her, but in a way she didn't expect. He didn't retaliate, or even try to swipe Stein's gun when she momentarily let he guard down, he spoke on her intelligence, he figured it must've been her to compile the chemistry materials otherwise she wouldn't be so close to the gear and Mari's backpack. Law and Stein kept guns on him, but nodded at Mel that it was okay.

"Show him Mel. Carmella here is one of Reagan High's best and brightest. Top 15%, and All-State Forward in soccer." Law replies to Edward, adding light to the mood. Mel sniffles and moves over to her notes, correcting him.

"...I'm All-State Defender." They all chuckle a bit save Bryan, who's still skeptical about Edward. She grabs her notes and carefully walked to Nigma. She was still scared of him, but when Stein and Law aimed on him she felt a bit safer, especially with chivalrous Bryan so ready to prove his testosterone to everyone. She opened the pages and stayed a good distance away.

POSSIBLE CROWD SUBDUE:

HALLUCINOGEN (X)
ITCHING POWDER (X)
SMOKE BOMB (X)
SLEEPING GAS (X)
FLASHBANG
EAR BURST?
MOLOTOV

"Okay, s-so what I gathered so far is...um. Well, I made a chemical alleviating powder that turns into gas while heated. I threw it down below to see what effect it had on the draggers. Nothing. They still showed tha' same behaviors. Next was itching powder, rudimentary mix of metal flakes of Manganese, sand, and some other stuff. Still no signs of effect. They don't think to scratch themselves if they do itch at least. The smoke bomb was my favorite, salt, sugar, and some Potassium Nitrate. They breathed exactly the same BUT I did notice they swayed their direction from their original eyesight, which means it impairs their vision."

Before Mel knew it she was opening up to this guy as if she's known him for a while. She catches herself doing this, and changes back to her cautious tone.

"Um, my last attempt was the sleeping gas I made. I really thought it'd work but they aren't affected by it at all. It was a solid chemical because I tested it on my best friend in the infirmary to get her to sleep and it worked like a charm. But with them, ...no. That shows me they their brain is operating on a lower consciousness maybe? Like, the brain packed up all it's luggage and moved to one specific part of itself. Did I explain that right? The rest on the list I still ain't done yet."

Mr. Law replies "Like I said Edward, best and brightest."

She looks to Edward assessing her work and piecing together some of the things herself. The Magnesium light still shines like a beacon in the night sky. But experiments were one thing, she knew her real priority. Her family. She took her phone out and wanted to cut it on so bad, but her rule was once a day. She takes her notes and places them back in the backpack. She looks out at the hordes coming in, all of them seemingly looking at the roof. Right at the light. The light was attracting them.

@RiddL

Julianna listened intently as Dayton spoke. It was beyond clear how upset he was about being locked up. She couldn't blame him, especially since more and more if seemed like he was actually innocent of the crime he'd been accused of. Still, caution was required in this sort of situation. For the most part, his answers had proven satisfactory, to the point that if she had the authority she would have released him. Hopefully by the time Frank returns he'll somehow be in a better mood and willing to listen. This was going to get harder, and they would certainly need all the help they can get. Dayton is the only person there with any medical training, after all.

The woman sighed softly, taking a few steps back as she looked at the still imprisoned man, all but broken by his circumstances. He had managed to, mostly, anyway, maintain a good semblance of composure. When they spoke he was mostly calm. Frank bad a way of pushing people's buttons, though. It's part of what made him a good officer. People on edge are more likely to make mistakes. When he had thanked her, it caught her off guard. Maybe just talking to him and giving him the benefit of the doubt was actually helping. There was no way the two could fully trust each other, but even a mutual respect could go a long way.

Officer Autumn spared a glance back into the main room, seeing the people standing in there with only concern and fear on their minds. these days, nothing was certain anymore. Would the people sent our come back? Would the undead simply overrun this place and kill them all? Would any of then eventually snap and become a significant danger to the others? Too many unknowns. This kind of shit wasn't covered in her training. What was she, one officer with no more real authority, to do?

"Dayton. I don't want to get your hopes up, you know how Frank is. But... I'll talk to him. You're right about us needing all the help we can get, and, I feel like you are worth taking the risk. Just, you know, sit tight." The young woman's gaze focused on him, only averting at a couple points before she turned and began to leave the room. She could only hope Frank would listen to reason.

Before

Five people ran down the streets of Galveston, Texas. Each decorated in their share of blood and guts. The group was comprised of three men, one woman and a teenage girl. One of the men towards the back was very large, a biker named Cutter. Another man who was a little older kept up the rear with a look of pure exhaustion. In the center was a young woman holding a rather upset cat in her arms. Ahead of her were her parents Amanda and Lincoln. The pair ran side by side working against the straggling dead-heads as the entire group moved further down the street. Every few meters they would glance back at the encroaching zombie hoard that seemed to be drawing ever closer. They had been trapped in a grocery store when the majority of the dead began showing up, but with the arrival of so many the store was quickly destroyed. After being forced into the alley behind the store they had been forced to figure out what to do. With the majority of their belongings still inside along with their vehicles being stranded amidst the horde they had no option but to move. At first they had been fighting their way out but after getting out of the alleyway they had lost so much. The grueling push through the mass of undead to leave the alley had cost them their energy and several lives. Amidst the groans Lincoln heard what sounded like a truck horn. He looked to his wife to find the same confusion on her face as she began slowing down. Looking back at her he saw past her, he saw his daughter cradling the cat and the men behind her falling further behind. Lincoln slowed down for a moment but only just as he dropped back behind his wife and moved her forward. After urging her forward he fell back to his daughter and began to force her onward.

"Tea we need you to move, girl!" Lincoln said putting a hand on her back, "I'm gonna be right here but I cant keep pushing you on."

"I'm sorry dad!" Tania growled as she picked up her pace slightly.

Lincoln looked back at Cutter and the older man as they shuffled along. Cutter seemed to be making a decent go of things but was certainly sweating heavily. He judged there was about thirty yards between the older man and their approaching doom. Letting out a sigh he pushed his daughter forward with the hand on her back. Her legs stumbled a moment but then she began a light jog again, satisfactory for Lincoln. Cutter looked up at them and realized their lacking pace. He and Lincoln locked eyes a moment before Cutter grabbed the older man by the arm and slung him forward. The man looked shocked as he was thrown several feet forward by the burly biker then clutched his ankle in agony. Cutter immediately moved to help the man up and hoisted him into a limping run with one arm. Amanda came running towards the pair and immediately tucked her shoulder under the older mans arm. Lincoln looked forward down the road and saw that it came to an T intersection ahead. Again the truck horn sounded, this time somewhat louder.

"Go damnit go!" Cutter shouted trying to be heard above the droaning undead. "I heard a semi! We gotta find that truck!"

"We need to go faster…" Lincoln muttered under his breath.

"Linc whats the plan!?" Amanda shouted as she helped the injured man, "We gotta get off the street!"

His mind was racing to find a way to hurry them along… something he could do to ensure his family would survive this. There was a truck somewhere but he didnt know where. He looked down at Tania and the cat in her arms. Jogging at her side he realized for the first time how afraid she looked. He'd been so focused on their safety he hadnt thought about the consequences of what this girl was seeing. So much death caused by something that could only personify the mortal terror. In his youth he'd seen and done many bad things but this world was beyond what he thought any child of his should have to endure. He looked back to his once lover and mother of his child as she struggled to help the older man like Cutter did. Beyond her the horde that seemed even closer than before. He swore under his breath as he looked around his daughter. With no foreseeable danger in sight he held her by the shoulder and borught her to a halt.

"Mom's gonna be right here with you okay!" Lincoln said grabbings his daughter by the face and trying to reassure her with his eyes. He ran back to the injured man and shrugged Amanda off of him, taking him on his shoulder. She looked surprised a moment then he threw an arm towards their daughter and she understood.

"Get Tania to that fucking intersection now! We just need to tuck into a store to wait it out!"

"That's the plan?" Cutter bellowed, "We need a fucking ride!"

Amanda ran up to Tania and began coaxing her into a run in. Lincoln wanted to hit Cutter with a snide remark but anything he could have done would have only caused tension. With Cutter and Lincoln holding the mans weight on their shoulders they managed to move with him mostly suspended in the air. However fast they were moving though the horde moved at pace, droning endlessly forward regardless of how much effort it took the living.

"I'm sorry…" The older man wheezed, "I didnt mean to…"

"Fuck that!" Lincoln said as he drove himself forward slightly faster.

"We got this..." Cutter growled, "I aint getting fuckin' eaten!"

Lincoln looked up from his feet to see a cat running with Tania right behind it. His heart dropped in his chest as he saw his daughter moving towards danger. He bent his knees to let the weight of the older man slide off his shoulder towards Cutter. Upon extending them again he exploded into a sprint towards Tania. She attempted to juke him but he neared her he bent at the stomach and hooked his arms towards her. A yelp came from her as his shoulder collided with her stomach and the wind was knocked out of her. Her momentum staggered him a moment causing him to reposition his legs before straightening his back lifting her into the air. She struggled against him for a moment but he quickly resumed a jog forward. Up the road Amanda dealt with a dead head using her knife to stab it through the eye. Lincoln began making his way to her with haste.

"Dad! No!" Tania cried, "Whiskers!"

"Fuck the goddamn cat, Tania!" Lincoln said maliciously, "The hell are you thinking?!"

"Whiskers!" Tania cried out in a hysteric scream.

In the rear Cutter had seen Tania being carried and elected to try the same with the older man. With his impressive size he managed to fireman carry the man while maintaining a light jog. Lincoln huffed as he slowed next to Amanda. Again the truck horn sounded, audibly closer and this time so close they began hearing music. Lincoln's face was a mixture of relief and worry for whatever came next. As he took place at Amanda's side he heard a shout from behind. They ran quickly towards the left side of the intersection, now nearly thirty yards away they heard the horn again. Accompanying it came music, unclear at first but then audibly present.

"What the hell?" Amanda said as she looked at Tania, "Where?"

"I dont know…" Lincoln grumbled quickly as he let out another shaky breath. Though he was certainly the most physically fit man there he was having trouble keeping up with the level of energy he was burning. Amanda looked back over her shoulder once, then again, and on the third she dropped back out of his line of sight.

"WOMAN!" Lincoln shouted at his loudest volume as she moved to help the others, "God damn you! MOVE!"

"Save Tea!" She said as she ran back disregarding her ex boyfriends orders.

He didnt look back. He already knew she was going back and him moving back too could only hinder his chances of saving his daughter. The small emotional conflict in his soul was extinguished as he came closer to the intersection with Tania bouncing over his shoulder. The pair narrowly tucked around a car as he heard the sound of the horn yet again, but this time it was too close.

The song playing was now clearly Van Halen's "Panama"

coming from the cab of a rampaging eighteen wheeler going at least eighty miles an hour. Lincoln gazed down the street in a state of suspended disbelief. While he stared the driver careened and took out undead with it's massive grill. It's massive load struck cars around it and caused some wreckage to the buildings on the street. Unbeknownst to Lincoln the driver of this vehicle was a man who'd been driving since it all began. In the cab of his truck he held a mini fridge with plenty of booze and various narcotics. I the trailer he held a shipment of canned soups that had kept him fed when he rested. Since he had been on the road to the drop off point the end times had begun. Lincoln stared in wonder at the truck down the street and began waving his free arm over his shoulder. The vehicle ahead of him in the road swerved left then straightened itself out then swerved right and clipped the edge of a small sedan in the road, sending it tail spinning into a convenience store. Lincoln groaned in frustration as he jogged further into the street. He turned back towards Amanda, Cutter and the wounded man. Cutter was holding the man above his shoulders and lumbering down the road while Amanda made sure the straggling undead stayed away. The truck's music came lowder as the horde grew seemingly more enticed.

"Move your ass!" Lincoln shouted.

He looked around him a moment then spotted an approaching pair of undead. He looked towards Tania a moment to make sure she was still in arms length of him. Lincoln reached into his beltline and drew his pistol, he drew the slide back and let it rack forward then took his aim. He hardly bothered to align the sights but at the range it wasnt important. He squeezed off one round and the left upper quadrant of the first corpse's head was blown away. Tania flinched, then flinched again as he shot once more. The second round hit it's mark in the center of the other's head. He hearn the truck horn again now accompanied by brakes squealing and rubber burning. Lincoln whipped his head around towards the vehicle so fast that he took a moment to focus his eyes properly. The truck ahead of them was now angling itself towards the angle of the intersection where the horde was coming from. Amanda Cutter and the older man were now closer to the intersection but the truck had hardly slowed and was now aiming directly at the corner building of the intersection. Lincoln looked towards Tania a moment then thought to himself how to help both Amanda and keep Tania safe. He reached behind her back and grabbed the pistol behind her beltline, in his other hand he grabbed her arm placing it in front of her. He slammed the pistol into her hand then formed her fingers around it. He looked up at her while she was looking down at the gun then angled her head towards him with his hands. He put a finger to his forehead and tapped twice.

"In the head baby, I'm gonna get your Momm…" Lincoln's voice was drowned out by the deafening blast of the truck horn, now closer than ever.

Lincoln looked back at the truck in time to see it cross into the intersection. It struck an SUV and pinned it in front of it before driving itself into the corner of the intersection. Lincoln watched in terror as he saw the love of his life sealed away from him by the destruction. Before he lost sight he could see just how close they had come. Twenty feet or more… maybe thirty. The SUV in front was destroyed instantly crumbling into the bricks of the building on the corner. The eighteen wheeler swung on it's side a moment, it's trailer sliding with a screech. As the destruction had ensued Lincoln had slipped into a primal yell of anguish. Without an idea what he was going to do he ran forward. Towards the now smoking eighteen wheeler's cab. On the other side he heard shouting then discerned Amanda's voice above the blasting music.

"Save her!" Amanda shouted.

On the other side of the vehicle the situation was much more dire. The horde seemingly allured by the blaring music and destruction had grown more intense. They were now beginning to assault the trapped trio. In the destruction Cutter had dropped the elder man and began swinging his chain through the air striking the undead over the top of their heads. Amanda was trying to pry open the door to the eighteen wheeler but to no avail. It was locked from the inside and from what was visible from the blood in the window the driver had not survived.

"Fuck!" Cutter said as he was grabbed by a one armed woman in a jacket, "Get that shit outta here bitch!"

He reached over her shoulder and grabbed it by the back of the jacket. He hoisted his arm up and pivoted the corpse in the air. The gnashing teeth lightly scraped the thick leather jacket Cutter wore as her grip was lost. Releasing his grip he threw a knee into her backside then raised his chain over his head. He let it's weight sail through the air in one rotation then brought it back directly down over the corpse's dome. With a splat the undead caved and fell to the side.

"Cutter help me get this open!" Amanda screamed.

She looked towards the part of the trailer where they could pass under and saw that the undead were already pushing against parts of the cab. She looked around then decided she would try to climb over. Cutter on the ground defended against the growing number of undead as best he could but one slipped through his guard. It ignored Cutter's large form entirely and went for the wounded prey that sat leaned against the wall. The older man had no chance against the creature as it beared down on him biting into the arm he held up for defense. The older man howled in pain as Cutter approaching from behind. His knife was drawn and quickly slammed into the brainstem of the dead head. Amanda looked back and halted as the music died simultaneously as a fire sparked in the engine of the eighteen wheeler. Se found her chance to tell Lincoln what she needed to.

"Save Sweat Tea! I'll find you!" Amanda shouted as she dismounted the eighteen wheeler.

"Fuck's sake…" Cutter groaned angrily, "I'll take care of her Linc!"

Lincoln however dismayed understood the wishes of the mother of his child. She told him what he needed to hear. His body wanted him to climb the trailer and save her. An image of himself drawing his pistol and wading franticically through the undead came to mind but he knew better. Nothing he could do could help other than to deliver his daughter to safety. The water forming in his eyes was quickly pushed away as he looked over the flaming wreckage. He turned towards the trailer end of the eighteen wheeler and saw that the horde was now pushing through the gap between the tires. He looked towards his daughter and began a light jog. Lincoln's shaking hands dug into Tania's shoulders as he drove her forward.

"C'mon baby," He said, she pulled back towards the eighteen wheeler.

"Where's my mom?" She asked her voice quavering.

"Listen to me!" Lincoln said his voice a mixture of pain and anger, "We have to go! She said save you! So that's what I'm doing!"

His daughter broke into tears in front of him. Whatever small parts of his heart were left remaining he felt breaking. However harsh he was being right now he knew it was the only way he could get through this. It was how his father had done it and he knew it would suffice to survive. He approached his daughter and prepared to lay into her a moment then stopped. He sighed then let out a breath to calm himself.

"Tea, we gotta go…" He said with a calmer but shakier tone, "There's nothing I can do for…"

"Dont you say that!" Tania cried as she struck at him in anger, "You're lying! You always…"

Her fist found it's mark on his chin. With the speed of his next movement his daughter yelped. His eyes lost a certain focus as he wrapped around her stomach and lifted her up. Tania's punch however unharmful had caused him to lose the layer of father like figure he'd assumed. It let him drop his mentality to what it was in prison. Something more primal and certainly unphasable. Though she struggled and drove a number of elbows into his shoulders he did nothing but steady his weight. Lincoln began to move away from the horde of walkers now seeping under the trailer and filing into the intersection. He started at a fast walk then graduated into a run as he got comfortable with his daughter's weight. With the horde behind him and a long road ahead he began his journey. After a few miles Lincoln ran into a group of people who offered him and the girl a ride away from the danger.

NOW
(No more Horde)

Alongside the side of highway 59 sat a parked vehicle angled into the curb. The vehicle was a 1998 Yukon with it's hood open and smoke billowing from the open engine compartment. A girl sitting on a towel was atop the vehicle wearing sunglasses, jeans, and a bikini top. Below the hood was a middle aged man wearing a cut off flannel vest over a black t shirt. The man worked his hand between crack of the somewhat hot engine while navigating around the smoke coming towards him. As smoke furrowed into his left eye and he reeled back rubbing his face with the back of his left hand. In frustration he swung his right arm in a sweep above the engine. Through his coughing Tania could make out a few well articulated curses. Though she tried to stifle it a small chuckle escaped her lips thus eliciting her father to grumble something.

"Punk ass…" Lincoln growled under his breath, "Tanning while I'm… sitting like a damn princess…"

Tania prepared a snide remark in her mind but immediately dropped it from thought as a member of the undead came into the street. The creature didnt notice the pair as it snarled at the empty air ahead of it. Tania's lip curled slightly in disgust at the creature's nose hanging half loose with a gash cut into the bridge of it. She cleared her throat loudly in an attempt to get her father's attention but he ignored her. He stared down into the smoking engine compartment trying to figure out what it was that was wrong. Lincolns knowledge didnt extend to the mechanical side of the world. This vehicle could have easily been a smart car to his eyes which only frustrated him even more. He heard his daughter clear her throat again. The assumption he made was that she was trying to catch his attention to deliver a well timed middle finger as she often did. He wiped his now tearing eye with the cleanest part of his shirt's collar before diving back into the engine compartment. Tania's hand crept over the roof of the Yukon to where her revolver sat and readied the hammer with a sigh. Lincoln wrapped his right hand around a worn rubber line that sat directly above a space where the smoke seemed to be coming from. He gave it a light tug in an attempt to move it out of his way then upon encountering resistance changed his grip. He wrapped his right hand underhanded around the line and then set his hand on the chassis for support. However the hot engine surprised him and he withdrew his hand while leaning back. The line came loose from the weight of Lincoln and some liquid ran over the engine that caused more gaseous distraction. Lincoln relinquished his grip and backpedaled away from the vehicle with a grimace on his face. At about 3 paces he began moving back towards the vehicle quickly. He planted one foot then raised the other to delivered a hard booted heel to the grill which dented the 'm' in the GMC logo. The walker that had moved into the street was now drawn towards the noise and the smoking vehicle. Lincoln's angered actions had caused just enough noise to give impetus to the walker who now seemed to move with a purpose. Tania atop the vehicle picked up her weapon then drew the sights on dead head.

"Dad, there's one coming from over there," She kept her pistol raised and let him follow the line of fire to it's location.

"I gotcha baby…" Lincoln said quickly as he scooped up an axe handle that had been leaning on the side of the Yukon, "I'll handle him you just keep an eye out for any extra."

The creature's detached nose swung as it lumbered towards the vehicle with both arms outstretched. Lincoln raised the axe handle to his shoulder as he sauntered up to the ugly undead and cockily waited as it approached. He looked at it's torn shirt, the chain around it's neck that had dug into it's flesh, the gnarled fingers and their broken nails, it's own nose swinging in front of it's mouth. He looked at one of the few tattoos that was visible on it's hand and read 'Sur 13'. Immediately a memory was called to mind of a man he had been locked in a cell with during his prison sentence. The man was some idiot who had ratted so Lincoln did what he was paid to do and delivered judgement. That man had been a fighter however as he managed to break Lincoln's wrist during the struggle. With that memory in mind Lincoln decided to handle the creature. He let the axe handle lazily fall off his shoulder then with the weight of it swung through the zombies arms knocking them away and turning the undead to the side. With the atttacking face of his target no longer angled towards him Lincoln began to play. He raised the axe handle and placed it's flat top against the ugly creature's shoulder with a little force to drive it back. The creature sidestepped and then refocused on Lincoln.

"I got something for you here mother-fucker," He said through gritted teeth as he readied himself in a batter's stance.

He leaned back on his right foot a moment then swung through the air to strike the dead head at an angle across the jaw. Snarl, Thunk, Splat. The undead's knees buckled before it fell to the floor with it's jaw shattered and it's head twisted at an angle. Lincoln let the bloody end of his weapon hang in the air a moment while he stared down at the grotesque ex-person that he'd just slain. Tania had been watching the entire time and as usual didnt approve of her father's playful attitude towards violence. Though she knew how his youth had shaped him she still couldnt help but hope for the inner Mr. Rogers to come out of her father. While watching her father admire his work she caught a glint of something across her eyes. Looking down the road she saw a vehicle approaching and immediately began grabbing her things from the roof of the Yukon. The girl was procedurally flawless as she lowered herself then rolled from the hood of the car slowly while announcing to her father the approaching threat.

"Dad there's a car!" She exclaimed quietly, "Get out of the road!"

Lincoln quickly moved away from the Yukon to take cover behind a nearby car, "Stay near the Yukie and dont let them see you. If they stop I'll take them away from here and handle if I need to."

"I know what to do…" Tania said with her snippy undertone ever present, "Not like we havent been doing this for a month."

Lincoln ignored her snide remarks and sarcasm in an effort to stay focused on the threat ahead. He took cover behind a small black Camry about 10 yards away from the Yukon and watched as the vehicle came down the road. He reached into his beltline and drew the .45 he'd had almost his entire life. Lincoln's aim with this pistol could be compared to most men's skills with a rifle if you didnt account for the range. He knew it would keep him and his daughter safe if he needed it to so having it at the ready seemed prudent. Setting down the axe handle for just a second he cocked back the slide to chamber a round before picking up his weapon again. Inside the camry he saw a member of the undead begin to stir. The creature sat quietly snarling in the back with it's belt across it's mid section while looking around the interior. Lincoln peeked slightly over the hood and through the dust covered windshield. Looking at the undead he could hardly stifle a groan at the size of the large undead man. With the decision to conserve his energy Lincoln chose to ignore the problem for now.

Reactions: Wolverbells
Avery Cortez | Southwest side of Houston going towards Downtown Houston​

The woman had now been driving for several minutes while trying to figure out a plan. The men had been arguing about which way they could easily get in and out of places they needed to be but something didn't sit right with Avery. She tried to figure out what exactly was going on as she tried to calm her nerves. It was the first time that she had gone out to downtown without Reese, but she tried not to think about it too much, although her eyes scanned the streets in case he magically popped up.

"Avery…. Avery? Hey watch out!"

Avery's mind snapped back to reality as she realized that she was a couple feet from hitting one of the undead with her vehicle. With a quick swerve, she had managed to both avoid the collision and make the men in the backseat finally sit back down and put their seatbelts on. "You would think people would have the decency to actually try to rebuild the city. It's only been a few weeks and people just… ran."

"Of course they ran, Ave. You've got a bunch of walking corpses trying to kill everyone. It's not exactly something that we're used to seeing. It's other worldly."

Avery remained quiet as she pondered the words, wondering what people must have been feeling whenever they realized that the government wasn't going to help. She pressed through the highway, going around some cars that had been left due to a lack of gas or some other reason. The cars had seemed to get a bit more frequent which caused come tight spaces to be created, in which the jeep had barely scraped by. It was a recent close call in which she didn't think the jeep would make it through that caused her to exit off of the highway.

"We'll take the feeder up until we just can't drive anymore. Then we walk."

With that being said, the group pressed on for not even half a mile before Avery halted the vehicle again. "Avery what the hell why do you keep stopping!?"

"There's smoke, look. I think it's coming from a vehicle. It could be Reese! He lives on this side of town!" Her heart began to race at the thought of finding her partner, her foot pressing down on the accelerator and sending the vehicle flying forward. As they approached the smoking vehicle, Avery motioned for the men to stay put. They had guns so regardless of what happened, at least they could cover for Avery. She had also observed that being a female helped with getting refugees to trust the groups she'd be in.

"Reese?" Avery stepped out of her Jeep and hesitantly made her way to the smoking SUV. "Is anyone out here? I'm a firefighter for station 68, just looking for my partner." With a small cringe, Avery was careful in the tone of her voice, not getting too loud in case the roaming corpses were nearby. Her hand gripped her axe tightly as she neared the SUV, barely being able to make out the inside of it.

@HellHoundWoof

Alleyway - Tyler & Frank
@Mr. Calcium & @Mars Walker

A fierce wave of walkers flooded the streets. Their moans harmonized in a Gothic melody, intensifying as they gained ground on the pack of survivors. The undead spewed from the store exit behind them, pushing the living into a vacant alleyway - the only visible escape route. Samudra unleashed a fury of home-runs with her wired bat. She bashed away her enemies without hesitancy, blood gushing from the skulls of the infected. Bodies started pilling to their left and right as walkers trampled over each other in hopes of earning a feast. Tyler could see their stairway to heaven, leeching off Su-rin's strength and stamina to get him there. Their survival appeared certain as they galloped heroically into the alley, but across their way came six corpses. The crashed against the walls, swaying side to side like a pendulum. They held longer strides, moving faster than the walkers to their back as though they could smell the pungent smell of Tyler's leg wound. Despite her unquestionable physical mantra, Samudra alone would not be able to take down that many. Su-rin wouldn't be able to help as she was forced to drag Tyler around like a rag-doll. Furthermore, Tyler was not one to sacrifice himself for the security of strangers, so in fear he held on even tighter to Su-rin and forced her defenseless.

As walkers advanced, Tyler started to panic. His body trembled uneasily and his leg started to throb in pain once more. The tourniquet no longer pressuring the wound dry. Blood ran down his shin and dripped onto the concrete beneath, leaving a trail as they moved forward towards the band of incoming walkers. "WE'RE FUCKED!" Tyler suddenly yelled, tears forming near the lower lip of his eyes. It was when the dead became uncomfortably close that shots sprung from the end of the alleyway. The walkers crowding their path fell one by one as bullets pierced through their skulls. Their bodies tumbled to the ground, crashing against the surface and opening a path out of their 'highway to hell'.

"FRANK!!" Tyler called out, seeing their savior had been non other than Officer Frank Campos.

"What the fuck happened to you?!" Frank asked as he rushed to Tyler's side. He forced himself under the black man's shoulder and helped Su-rin carry him onward. The four survivors moved down the alleyway as Frank instructed, pushing towards an empty street away from the horde and the staircase. "C'mon, Jay is waiting for us in the car, it's just a mile that way," he affirmed, asserting that DJ would be there waiting for them to make a grand escape. Little did he know that by the time he'd get there, DJ would be gone.

"...We move on foot, follow me..."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Southwest Police Station - DJ
@The Dapper Mog & @Akashi

Loud bangs erupted at the twin doors of the Southwest Police Station. "OPEN UP! OPEN UP!" came DJ's voice from the outside, the soles of his fist clashing against the two steel doors. Father Walters stood up instantly, rushing towards the cells to inform Officer Autumn of the recent development. In the meantime, Jose stood from his stool, picked up his rifle and pointed it towards the door. Miss Walkers yelped and hid behind a desk, peeking at the door with gray murky eyes. "Daniel, andate al cuarto!" he ordered his son, using his trigger hand to shoo the boy away and into a secure room.

"OPEN THE DOOR! IT'S ME, DJ!!" the voice came again. The survivors - as mandated by Frank - were not allowed to open the door without authorization from either officer. Rules were rules, despite the lack of them in this world, so the group followed them to a tee. The only people with a key were Officer Campos and Autumn anyway, so the chains were unmoved without them present. Therefore Jose remained still, his rifle pointed straight at the sound behind the door. DJ or not, actions without caution brought forth undesired consequences. Living in a world as such taught many that logic.

Father Walters had finally reached the cells, gasping for air as his exasperated expression exposed the seriousness of the situation. Finally catching his breath, he spoke brokenly. "Some-one-is-at-the-doors." He folded forward, placing his hands on his knees. The man of God had not been one to exercise, so the short burst of speed from the hall to the cell was vigorous. "It's DJ!" he managed to reveal without a break. He allowed Officer Autumn to rush passed him, looking up at Dayton with a hand up to assure his well-being.​

Southwest Police Station
Officer Julianna Autumn

The sudden noise from the front door was jarring after the fairly relaxed conversation she and Dayton were just having.

"Sorry, Dayton. I will talk to him as soon as I get a chance."

The young woman cursed under her breath before immediately moving passed Father Walters to make her way to the door. The banging and yelling was just going to risk attracting more attention from the creatures threatening them. Jose was standing ready, keeping his firearm trained on the door. She glanced at Jose, nodding towards him to be ready.

"Let him in, then close and lock the door immediately."

As soon as the door was opened, she grabbed him, pulling him into the building.

"DJ, calm down, and tell me what happened.

Whatever was happening here was definitely bad. He seemed shaken up, and because of it, that fear would quickly spread to all of the people here. What's worse, that fear represented extremely dangerous realities. She had to get this under control as quickly as possible. Frank wasn't here, and they needed her to be able to handle potential dangers.​

Lincoln & Tania Hunsucker | Southwest side of Houston going towards Downtown Houston

Lincoln sat stock still on the side of the small black Camry opposite where the SUV sat. As he looked on at the approaching vehicle his daughter had pulled on a blue collared shirt over her bikini top. Tania tried to peek around the side of the Yukon to see her father but couldnt manage a view. The vehicle came to a stop not far up the road then the drivers side door swung open. Lincoln's fingers danced on the wooden axe handle in anticipation as he watched a short latin woman exit the vehicle. At first he felt slightly relieved being that the woman was attractive and likely not looking for trouble. He could only smirk at himself for thinking anything as naive as that however, in these times everyone could be a threat. He watched as the woman approached calling out for someone named Reese. When Tania heard the other voice she almost audibly gasped, it had been some time since she'd heard a woman's voice. After a moment of hesitation she placed her hands flat on the ground to lower her head under the frame of the yukon. Below the edge of the frame she saw a pair of boots approaching. Tania judged from the style of the shoes that what the woman had said was true, she was in fact just a fire fighter. Tania pushed herself up off the ground then began a crouched walk towards the trunk end of the Yukon, away from the where the woman was. She made careful effort to roll the balls of her feet on the cement as not to alert the newcomer of her location.

Lincoln had been staring intently at the axe wielding woman to watch for any sign of malice. The axe in her hands certainly didnt seem like it would be hard for Lincoln to deal with and from what he could see there was no visible fire arm on her person. Lincoln looked back towards the jeep looking for any sign she had back up. The glare from the sun didnt allow him much view into the vehicle. He let out a low grumble before slowly manuevering himself to the backside of the camry he was using for cover. As he passed the backseat window he heard the thump of a heavy fist on glass. In a state of pure reaction he raised his pistol to the glass and lightly squeezed on the trigger before extending his index finger fully away from the trigger.

"Fuck me," He said with a shaky breath.

The large undead man inside the vehicle had been called to attention by seeing Lincoln pass directly in front of his window. The ugly beast now smeared his bloody hands over the mirror in an attempt to claw at the meal just outside of his reach. Lincoln heard the snarling then looked through the dirty windows as best he could to see if the woman had heard. The creature inside thumped against the glass with its fists while grinding its teeth on the window. He could see now that the woman was approaching as her silhouette grew bigger in the dirty windows. Lincoln knew better than to stand up and engage her, so as she approached the backseat of the camry he moved to make himself smaller and hide behind the driver's side door. Unbeknownst to Lincoln his daughter had been watching the situation from the edge of the Yukon's trunk, and growing uneasier with each step the woman took towards her father. As the woman came within five feet of the Camry Tania could take no more.

"Freeze bitch!" Tania said as she broke cover from the corner of the Yukon and exposed her flank towards the jeep, "No se mueve!"

Lincoln cursed under his breath and struck the edge of the axe handle against the side of the Camry in anger. His daughter had exposed herself and was now standing no more than 10 feet behind the woman with her pistol raised in both hands. He unbent his knees while straightening his back and rolling his shoulders as he stood to his full height to look over the top of the Camry. He raised his pistol towards the woman in front of him and lazily aligned the line of fire with her chest to ensure she didnt move. Lincoln looked past the woman towards his daughter with a look of typical fatherly disappointment.

"You say bitch?" Lincoln said with a mock tone, "The hell you thinking? Dont know this lady… she's just looking for her partner."

"Really?" Tania asked seriously, "You wanna give me a lesson about…"

The woman turned to look at Tania and Lincoln's eyes immediately darted back to her. His typical face changed to a harder image almost like a dog seeing someone move towards their owner. The pistol found a firmer grip in his hand as he set the hammer back and trained the sights on the woman's face. He was ready and calm as he thought about having to take her life. He hoped he was conveying his lack of hesitation through his demeanor in order to avoid whatever situation could come about.

"You dont need to look at her…" Lincoln said as he made sure the woman's eyes were focused on his, "I'm Lincoln and that little spitfire behind you is my offspring. You drop that axe and let me make sure you got nothing else, then we talk. Or you get ballsy and make a play… maybe you get lucky but I wouldnt bet against me at this range."

Now that Lincoln was looking more closely at the woman's face he was almost inclined to start laying flattery on her. Her baseball cap cast a shadow on the top half of her face but he could still make out the brown eyes and well shaped cheek bones. It was almost enough to make him reconsider how he was handling the situation but then he stopped himself. He couldnt let anything as meager as his personal preferences play into his daughter's safety.

@Wolverbells

Avery Cortez | Southwest Heading towards Downtown Houston | Lincoln &Tania

As Avery neared the SUV, she could feel the heat radiating off of the engine, meaning that whoever had been driving it had to be nearby. "They must have gone off to look for supplies to fix it…." Her voice was quiet as she spoke to herself. She wanted to take a look in the engine to see if there was anything she could do for it, but a noise behind her grabbed her attention and caused her to turn immediately. Her eyes scanned the area until she was met with a gruesome sight. A large undead inside of a black Camry, which meant problems for anyone that ever tried to get in the car for shelter or cover. With a quick wave back at the men in the Jeep, Avery walked slowly to the Camry, still weary of the situation of the SUV. If the owners came back and found her snooping around, she didn't know what kind of reaction they would have.

"Freeze bitch!"

The woman's body stopped moving instantaneously. She wanted to smack herself for not having cleared the area before moving on to the Camry, having always done so with Reese. In a matter of seconds, before the men in her vehicle had time to react, another man popped up from behind the Camry. She was pinned from both sides without being able to see one of the threats. Without saying a word, Avery simply listened to the man as he started speaking to the female behind her. He sounded like a dad scolding a child, which caused Avery to believe that there was some sort of familiar relation between the two. Slowly, Avery began to turn her head to see who was behind her but the man cut her off and forced her to look back at him. The fact that he introduced himself sent a small sense of relief through the woman. He couldn't have been like those people that tried to shoot and rob her and Reese in the weeks prior if he still had the manners to introduce himself. "Lincoln. My name is Avery, like I said before I'm just a firefighter. I'm going to slowly reach down to my axe and set it on the floor for you, okay?" As she spoke, Avery lifted both of her hands up so that they were visible to Lincoln's daughter as well. Once she was given a nod to proceed, she slowly reached down to her axe and took it out of it's small place on her belt.

"Avery, stop!"

She could hear the doors unlock from her vehicle as the three men inside tried to get out to help. "It's okay, Ryan! Just keep an eye out for more of the undead. Step out of the Jeep, unarmed. Tell the other two to do the same. Do it one by one." Not once did Avery break eye contact with Lincoln as she spoke to Ryan. She had finally tossed her axe towards him in a nonthreatening way and stood back up with her arms up so that his daughter could once again feel better about the situation. As she waited for Lincoln to walk over and check her, she began to explain the situation that they were in so there was no misunderstanding, hoping that she could help the two feel more comfortable. "Like I said before, I'm a firefighter and I'm out here looking for my partner that disappeared some weeks ago. We're also out here looking for water. Reese and I opened our station to people as a shelter. We don't have many because people are too afraid right now. Reese and I have been shot at and people have tried to rob us. The men that are now standing outside of my truck are men with families that volunteered to help me come out here. I decided to stop by your truck because I know the area well and thought I could possibly lend a hand."

Avery stood silently after explaining, her ears more focused on her men which had slowly began to get out of the Jeep. One door shut, another door shut, and finally the third. "Avery, there's growling coming from behind us. I'm going to go check it out, leaving my gun in the truck." The woman kept her eyes locked on Lincoln and didn't wait for him or his daughter to give them permission. She still had her team's safety to think about. "Be careful, and don't go out of sight."

With a bit of hesitation the other two let Ryan go off, their attention going back to looking around the area in case of any other threats.

@HellHoundWoof

Word Art 2.png

Edward ignored the jocks outburst and instead focussed on the list that of what she had tried and took a breath to orient himself. "I've seen some of these things walking around on fire, to Molotovs probably won't work well enough in any capacity, unless it's to make them scarier in which case you would succeed. Flash bangs and Ear Bursts may work, removing vision and hearing could impair them momentarily but their sense of smell seems to be enhanced, while I no longer regard them as being among the living they seem to be rewired to their most basic instincts, mostly driven by hunger. If you can get some meat from your canteen, rig up a hot plate for a bunsen burner or something you might be able to lure them to places that would be easier to either contain or dispatch them." He said running his fingers through his beard as his brain kicked into overdrive. He moved his neck from side to side, the joints popping and a small sigh of relief flooding through the man.

He quickly went through what he learnt about explosives and quickly drew up a list of some of the ingredients that they might have on hand here, grabbing a pen from Stein and a notepad that a student had carelessly left on the ground.
  1. Aluminium and Iron Oxide = Thermite
  2. Nitroamine + Dioctyl sebacate + Polyisobutylene + Motor Oil = C4 Plastic Explosives
  3. Plastic Bottle + Dry Ice + Water = Dry Ice Bomb
"Here, these should be helpful but please be bloody careful, I prefer life as opposed to being blown to pieces." He said ripping the page out, lowering it to the ground and stepping away from it, knowing that everyone here was still wary of him. He returned the pen back to Stein and sat down, resting against the wall and taking another sip out of his flask.

@OppositeInverse

DJ - Station (@The Dapper Mog)

As the station door opened, DJ tumbled inside, tripping over his own feet and catching himself on Julianna's uniform. He tugged his way back up, eyes wide as the sea of undead that obligated him back to safety. The officer's attempt to calm him weren't working, DJ instead became more nervous - walking wondrously around the lobby, mumbling gibberish to himself. Eventually his words started to make more sense as he traveled left and right like a madman. "I didn't mean to......I was scared, I didn't mean to leave them..." he stated, obviously speaking of leaving Frank and Tyler behind and deeming them to what seemed an inevitable death.

The other survivors started to feel the anxiety that came with DJ's state of mind. What had the boy seen out there that forced him to leave Frank and was Frank even still alive? Jose came forward after locking the front doors and stopped next to Officer Autumn. In his broken English he asked DJ to please explain what had happened, to answer Julianna's question and about Frank's whereabouts. DJ turned to the two individuals and starred at them for a second, tears flushing down his cheeks as he appeared to hold in a deep and dark secret. "Please DJ, tell us amigo.."

"I......I couldn't....I couldn't wait," the boy started, the words excruciatingly hard for him to utter. "I couldn't wait for them. There were hundreds of those things. You could fucking smell them. Oh god! Oh what did I do?!! FUCK!!" As he progressed with his explanation, his voice and tone started to get louder. There were loopholes in his explanation, but it wasn't difficult to piece together a story. "Where is Frank?" asked Ms. Walkers who subjected herself behind a wooden desk more than a few feet away. She felt threatened by DJ's inability to put words together and humanize his sudden movements - similar to her ex-husband who suffered from dementia.

"I don't know."

Jose's eyes widened at the realization that Frank might be dead. He saw his boy peeking through the door-frame, full of questions. "Hijo, entrale!" he instructed, rushing to his boy's side and forcing him back into the room. He closed the door and looked back over to Officer Autumn. "What are we gonna do?" he asked, forcing the position of leadership onto her.

---

Father Walters - Cell (@Akashi)

Father Walters sat down in the empty chair before Dayton. He still aimed to catch his breath - the man of the cross did not have a fitness regimen so his physical aptitude didn't match that of an athletes in any way. With a last exhale, he seemed to regain a respiratory balance. He looked up at Dayton with a smirk, laughing at his own lack of endurance. "I never did enjoy physical education class," he joked, revealing he was not simply God's marionette.

For some odd reason, Walters was able to open up more with Dayton than with any of the other survivors. It was possible that Dayton's ability to relate and open-mindedness constituted a sense of relationship with the reverend. Despite being locked behind bars that elucidated misdeed, Walters could see through his confinement. He noted a light within Dayton that others - like Frank - seemed to miss. He believed that the man was innocent despite his circumstances and has been trying to convince the others of his release, but it had yet to happen.

From the hallway, Walters and Dayton could hear the commotion. However, the holy man did not want to leave Dayton unattended. "Give me a second and I will return," he stated, going down the hall to listen to what had occurred. He returned with the cell with the bad news. "DJ has come back, but without Frank or Tyler. He is not sure where he is. I have a feeling something is very wrong." Instead of continuing with the scene that played out behind them, he turned the attention towards Dayton, asking how he was feeling, if he needed anything. He explained that their supplies were scarce, but that he would ensure he remained fed and hydrated. "We will pull through. I know this to be true," he reassured. "Once we release you, what is your plan? Do you hope to remain with this group? Or will you go in search of your family?"

Lincoln & Tania Hunsucker | Side of highway 59 | Avery and her group

@Wolverbells

Lincoln watched the woman closely as she disarmed. His sights still carefully trained on her forehead as she removed the axe from her belt then started speaking. Avery began explaining her position and easing Lincoln into a conversation. Satisfied with the situation he lowered his pistol slightly as he began moving around the car and away from the growling undead inside. As he crossed in front of the Camry there came a voice from down the road which startled both Hunsuckers. Tania looked down the road back at the vehicle to see the three men inside exit one by one. Tania lowered her pistol as she turned towards the jeep seeing the noticeably changed odds. Lincoln kept staring down Avery. As she tossed her axe he circled to put her between him and the jeep. He looked at Tania then let out a tweet like whistle to catch her attention.

"Gun up baby doll, I need you to watch her while I frisk her..." He said with a hint of encouragement.

Tania nodded before aiming her gun at Avery again. Lincoln satisfied with his daughters efforts loosened his grip on his pistol before sliding it into his belt line. He approached Avery with the axe handle resting on his shoulder. He patted her back and stomach then pulled up both pant legs around the boots. Unconvinced he grabbed the waistline of her pants and shook expecting for something to come loose. When nothing did he stepped away from her to glance at Tania with a grumpy look and a shrug. He crossed around in front of Avery to look her in the face again. He had listened to her while she explained herself but of course he couldnt take her word for it. He looked down the road to where two men remained at the truck, though neither had a weapon drawn she had said they had them. Lincoln pushed his jaw out to the left then to the right as he pondered the situation. He and his daughter were outnumbered but they did have the draw on this one member of the other party. However if the woman was telling the truth he couldnt pass up a chance for his daughter to be somewhere safe that could possibly feed them. Lincoln didnt say anything while the woman watched him. His eyes never left her face but their focus continued to change as if he was moving between thoughts. She gave her man the go ahead then Lincoln began talking. He pushed the axe handle up over his shoulders so that it rested across them then hung his wrists over it lazily.

"Sorry about your friend but I dont think anyone been missing for more than a week is much long for this world. Like you said people are real afraid right now... maybe afraid enough to lure people back to a fire station to kill them and take their supplies. Not sayin' you're that type but it's damn convenient."

Avery scoffed at the man's words, feeling slightly offended that he would even suggest that. "That's a horrible way to think. People still have good in them. I know this because I've been out here for six weeks helping them."

"You would think your opinion woulda changed after being shot at," Lincoln mused while pushing a smile from his face, "The world isnt puppies and kittens anymore. The dead walk sister, and the living lie cheat and steal."

"I'm aware of how the world is like now," the woman spat back at Lincoln.

"Right. So how many people you got at the station?" Lincoln asked, ignoring the opportunity to get mean and snap back at her, "Whats the supply situation like? Y'all got food and water? How many people?"

"We've got ten others and a few children. We've got food, and we're out here looking for more water so we can stay on top of things."

Avery was getting tired of simply talking with Lincoln, her patience thinning out as they wasted time and lost sunlight. She glanced towards her jeep and frowned when she saw that Ryan hadn't returned which then, in turn, made her worried. Lincoln watched carefully as the woman looked back to her truck. As she did so he took a moment to look around himself. He checked both directions of the street and took in a quick view of the routes where her friend could sneak up on them. Avery turned back to face Lincoln with an expression of worry as the sun sank lower in the sky.

"We're wasting day light out here just chit chatting. We can try to help you with your truck if you wanna just leave, or your more than welcome to go back with us, but we can't just stand here."

"You're right... we killing day light out here."

Lincoln agreed as he looked past the woman to his daughter. She shrugged then raised her eyebrows. The girl and Lincoln exchanged through the meeting of their eyes a question. Lincoln seemed to be shaking his head slightly but Tania looked away towards the woman. Lincoln sighed then after that his daughter gave him a pleading look. After a moment of hesitation Tania spat forward her question.

"You run across a woman named Amanda? Or a big guy in leather?"

Avery was surprised to hear that Lincoln's daughter spoke up, having been quite for the most part.

"No, I haven't. I'm sorry." She replied.

Lincoln closed his eyes a moment to rub them with a sigh. Tania found the same answer she had since they had starting asking. Her father hardly bothered to ask it any more, seemingly in a state of acceptance. Before Avery could explain that they had come out of the station for the first time in some days, Ryan's voice interrupted them as he came into view gasping for air. Lincoln's hand found itself wrapped around the grip of his pistol merely a second after the man began speaking. Mentally he chastised himself for being so jumpy as he looked down the road.

"A, there's about twenty coming this way," He announced between breath, "We need to move. Can't waste ammo."

Avery's heart sank as she heard Ryan acknowledge one of her fears.

"Grab what y'all can out of your truck. We'll make space in the back for y'all." Giving Lincoln a nod, Avery went straight into action as she turned on her heel and jogged over to her Jeep. As Avery moved to her vehicle Lincoln and Tania began grabbing everything they could. Tania moved to the trunk and began rolling up their sleeping bags while Lincoln dived into the backseat to collect their supplies and belongings. He crammed his clothes into his duffel then loaded up the small amount of canned goods he'd laid in the floorboard before he tossed his duffel out of the car. As Lincoln's duffel hit the ground Tania came with the sleeping bags now rolled and stuffed both into the large green bag.

"Ryan, help me make room for them in the back." Avery said quickly.

She went around the vehicle and opened the back door so that the two could begin moving things around to make it as comfortable as possible for the two newcomers. From further down the street, the growling and snarling could begin to be heard. Lincoln loaded Tania's backpack with the books she'd left in the backseat then as he scooped one up he saw her makeup bag sitting open on the ground. He lifted it and began setting the almost alien like products into the bag. Something in the bag caught his eye which immediately prompted him to pick it out. Lincoln growled angrily as his fingers produced the small gold plastic square with the image of a helmeted warrior above the name Trojan. He threw it to the side then without thinking threw the entire pouch rather forcefully under the shotgun seat of the vehicle. He pulled himself out of the vehicle with his daughter's bag in his hands zipping it closed. Tania looked up to her father as she closed his duffel then stood to take it from him.

"Got everything?" She asked as she grasped the backpack and slung it over her shoulders.

"Yup," Lincoln said as he scooped up his duffel, "Make sure you apologize to that lady. I dont wanna see you acting snippy again like you were with the last group we came on. She seems to be doing the right thing so we'll roll with it for now. "

"You think she's telling the truth?"

"Doesnt matter…" Lincoln grumbled, "It's a place to be for now."

Tania nodded her head simply to put off her father's dreary mood. As the pair neared the jeep Tania looked towards Avery then opened her mouth before closing it and rethinking what she was going to say. She didnt think she would need to apologize and now that she had been ordered too her mind drew a blank. The pair circled around the side of the jeep to where Avery was repositioning a box in the trunk. Avery smiled at the young woman after the two had approached the Jeep with their belongings.

"Sorry about the bitch comment," Tania said as genuinely as she could.

"It's okay. Really what else could you have said to get me to stop?" She waited for them to get in before closing the back and heading over to the drivers seat. "We still have to grab some water cases. I'll drive us somewhere safe if possible. Or I can go and drop you two off and show y'all the station. I don't want to put us in unnecessary danger."

"You'll want us with you, whatever you're about to go do." Tania said quickly cutting out the possibility of being around more strangers, "My dad and I can handle ourselves."

"You're gonna run out of room if you dont take us to that station I think," Lincoln said after eyeballing his daughter. He didnt want them out here any longer. If they were in the fire station they could hunker down and he could keep an eye on a doorway. But another errand would cram the vehicle and give him more responsibility when it came to his daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.