Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
【The Variable Project: Psyche】

white For information on the terminology used in this thread, read this.

「Roleplay Premise」

The year is 2206; the month, August. Academies for teaching the ever increasing population of Psychokinesis users how to use their powers were plentiful now, possessing numbers rivaling those of standard schools. Built as both a means of educating the masses and overseeing them (in addition to the already implemented Psyche system), attendance to these schools was made mandatory.

Most of the curriculum focuses on the history of Psychokinesis and the development of variables, as well as the tragedies of the past, namely the unethical nature of the original Variable Project, as well as the international attacks launched by the S-ranked Corrupted Constant, Cortice, and those atrocities both stopped and committed by the Vector group. Accompanying these more educational lectures is a more combat-oriented teaching experience, which dives into how to use Psychokinesis more effectively, as well as allowing the use of training variables during lessons (their attacks phase through humans, instead causing a reaction in the training suits worn by students which indicate what type of damage would've been dealt).

The government is clear in its intentions for such teachings — though the world is at relative peace now, thanks to the International Variable Organization (IVO), they still prefer to be prepared should any of the allies choose to turn on the others.

This roleplay follows new students to the Psychen Academy based in New York, USA, which was also the first such academy to be established. The major focus will be on the character interactions and development, as well as on the various combat situations that will occur throughout, up to and including the first International Variable Tournament of 2207.

「Character Sheet」

(Image Here, if applicable)

Name:

Sex:

Background:
(Doesn't need to be anything too in-depth, but try to hone in on your character's experience growing up with Psychokinesis, as well as how they ended up attending PA [recommendation, scholarship, etc].)

Personality:
(Try to identify at least a few key traits that stand out about your character, both positive and negative. Paragraph format.)

Appearance:
(If it should differ at all from the provided image, if any, please describe how here. Also mention such things as height and weight.)

VECT Result:
(This is just what type of variable(s) your character has tested as being compatible with based on his or her unique brainwave lengths. You can have up to two compatible types, but please try to keep them balanced so as to not be overpowered.)

Goals:
(What does your character hope to accomplish as a member of PA?)

[SUBJECT TO CHANGES]

@Crow @Kit-n-Kat @R-9 Pilot @ERode @Ultra Paradox

Nothing too fancy right now, but it has places for information to be plugged into, so it's a thing! (Also I had to make a three hour walk home after working for 9 hours so I was half dead while typing this up. Forgive me!)

Somehow, my first immediate thought is to ask "Which part of New York?" Because being upstate or otherwise away from the city would be an interesting choice.

I'll get to work on a character as soon as I get my ideas in order.

Reactions: Pravitas
Somehow, my first immediate thought is to ask "Which part of New York?" Because being upstate or otherwise away from the city would be an interesting choice.

I'll get to work on a character as soon as I get my ideas in order.
Sadly, I'd have to say it'd be a sort of hub in the city. While a rural area would be an interesting twist, I wanna go with all the razzle dazzle of a super sparkling academy in a digital city (which I imagine NYC has pretty much completely transformed into by the 23rd century).

There's also the advantage that everyone tends to know a little about New York city. It's probably changed and become even more modern, but the old landmarks are still there. And they better still have proper pizza.

8HU1in9.png

6’1 | 157 lbs | 17 y/o
Haruka Fujiyama
"Victory? Defeat? No, the winner's decided by the one who smiles last."

• Overconfident and energetic, Haruka’s the type of person who’s well-known even without going out of her way to be so. Her very actions exude a vivacious aura, and she constantly has a bright smile on her face, one of someone who enjoys every single moment of her life. Failures are just setbacks, while victories deserve to be celebrated. Indeed, this natural optimism allows Haruka to shine the brightest when she can reach out her hands to pull others out of their misery.

As long as she can reach them with her hands, evil will be punished and innocents will be saved. Why else would she have been blessed with such a power?

• Haruka’s life was filled with questions she never asked.

Why did she not look like her father at all? Why did her mother never look her in the eye? Why was she the only person in her elementary school classes? Why did she have no grandparents? Why was she pushed so hard, physically and mentally?

Haruka’s life was filled with truths she never wanted.

Weakness invited violence. Tears incited cruelty. Human progress was fuelled by hatred and destruction, benevolence a mere afterthought. Charity hid greed, and beauty existed to be defaced. It was easier to drag others down than to climb up yourself.

But Haruka’s life was saved by the fragment of a dream, a person that may not even be real granting her something that made her more than just another human trapped in a massive, yet minuscule cage.

Radiance gave her a heartbeat, and resplendence gave her a future.

Even with the world as her enemy, she will come out victorious.

• VECT Result:
    Short Range Physical ; Short Range Mental

Goals:
    Become a Hero.

Alias:
    Firecracker

Last edited:
Reactions: Pravitas
When you were asking questions, I studied the Int Chek.
When you were waiting for the OOC, I planned out my concept.
While you wasted your days on the front page in resistance of boredom, I cultivated inner plotlines.
And now that the OOC is here and Pravitas is at your gate, I am already done.

Oh yeah, if we're first years, what sort of age range should that be at the academy? Is this like, high shcool? University? Doesn't matter because they pull from a different pool?

• Useful
Reactions: Wryneck
@R-9 Pilot, ages will actually vary, but the adults and the younger crowd are separated (think actual high school vs GED program). I'd say probably 16-18 for our purposes though.

@ERode, everything cheks out, though I do have two things to ask. One is in regards to Haruka's background. It's rather vague, and doesn't really give what I guess would sort of be a history leading up to how she came to attend this particular academy? Though, I'm guessing knowing you that that might be intentional.

The second bit is just about the large scale. What ideas did you have in mind as far as using it in conjunction with a short range variable type? Just wanna make sure everything is sound. As open ended as the variable system is, even it has its limitations.

Also yes NY still got that pizza

It is indeed vague for reasons. She got into PA via recommendation, btw.

Can you give me some examples of what Large Scale actually is? I just picked it because nothing else resonated with me. Main focus would just be super anime CQC.

For long range it basically increases range even further than normal. Essentially just imagine being able to make it rain over almost an entire city. Only said "rain" is actually tiny variable "lasers".

For short range, I guess super large transformation? That or more concentrated destruction over a larger area. I.e. punch the ground + crater = small scale, punch the ground + entire city block disintegrates = large scale.

Eup, that's in line with my shit.

3a3d162a6d3d6eab2d62c59a1c63e925.jpg
c9b9b4632350e6b22dae692d5fc333cb.jpg

"This is a dark, and terrible world."

Name: Chikao.Minato (港港千賀)

Sex:
Male

Background:
Minato had a rough upbringing. At a young age he was physically the weakest child in his school district. Raised in Tokyo, Japan, Minato knows how busy and cruel the city life can be. Those around you act like you're invisible, while cruel kids take advantage of you, humiliating you each and every waking moment. He never quite understood why he was the target of so much hatred, bullying, and non stop teasing. Was it because of his snowflake white hair? Was it truly that unnatural? Or could it have been because he was born into the Chikao clan, one of the wealthiest families in all of Japan. Hated for their financial success in aiding with variable testing. Was he to bear his father's hatred? Or could it have possibly been for how ill and weak he was? He could never truly wrap his mind around why the strong want to torment the weak so badly.

His parents knew about the situation, but didn't do anything because Minato would incessantly plead them not to. If they did, he knew the beatings would only get worse. His only refuge came from being at home, with his puppy that he adored so much. One day though, Minato skipped class to go home, at the age of eight he already knew his way home. Recently this became a habit where his Father would drop him off and instead of heading in, he'd wait for his father to drive off and he would turn the corner and head home.

But on that day, those kids followed him. The gang of older boys, all of them thirteen and up. Minato ran, taking shortcuts and luckily out ran them until he reached the gate of his house. He struggled to climb over the fence, but when he did he fell onto the grass in the backyard where his dog was laying under the cherry blossom tree. The boys made it over the gate, much easier than Minato was able to, and proceeded to kick and beat the boy.

But his dog came to the rescue. The small Beagle growled at the group, and they all laughed. Shouting insults at Minato about how he was a "bitch and had a dog that suits" him. The Beagle eventually pounced, latching onto one of their ankles. In response the boy winced in pain and brutally kicked it, the puppy yelped and rolled on the grass. It whined a few more times then seized to move. The boys went silent, all of them shocked, especially the one who had done the kicking. Minato's one true refuge away from this cold world was gone. He snapped.

He unlocked his Psychokinesis potential and in a rage threw a steel pole at one of the boys directly at his knees. Due to the mental Psychokinesis his reflexes and ability to find an enemies weakness was incredible. So much so the strike hit the boy in the knee, paralyzing him permanently.

This would lead to long case in court that lasted three years, where they considered giving him up to ten years in jail for his unjust use of his Psychokinesis, even if it was his first time ever knowing he had one. His father pleaded the ruling, saying he's just a boy who was defending himself and his dog against a gang of bullies. Eventually though, the lawyer came up with a deal. When he reaches the age of seventeen, the boy will join an academy where he will learn to use his powers for good in the academies they plan on building to help people with Psychokinesis develop. But one of the rules listed in the deal was that he will join an academy outside of Japan, to stop any unnecessary bias. If Minato fails in being able to control himself when angered, he will be given the prison sentence.

International Variable Organization (IVO) agreed with the deal, seeing as how he had the potential to adopt a variable, and the court case was said and done. Everyone in Japan considered the ruling unjust, because his family was important to the development of variables, and he felt guilty for his actions. Sadistic, choatic, monster. Those are some of the names he heard ever since the court case, but the time has come to leave Japan and go into the academy within another big city, New York. He's never used his powers since, and doesn't know if he can even achieve that type of strength again yet alone control it. But now he has to, it could mean life or death. The world truly is, a cold, dark place.

[Got into the Academy through recommendation by IVO and the court casing. His family name also has to do with it, and from the damage found on the victims his variable holds incredible power]

Personality:
Minato is able to keep a well headed temper for a long time, this could be seen as he handled the bullying for most of his young life. He's a really charismatic guy, who's very book smart but not so much socially due to the lack of friends throughout his life. His reputation presides him and because of that he tries to stay away from meeting new people who might know of his background, so in this case it's probably every teacher in the school and possibly some students.

But when you get to truly know Minato you see he's an upstanding honorable guy. He knows very well his life now officially revolves around redeeming his honor and who he really is as a person so this ambition sticks to him and the way he carries himself under any and every task. He'll always work hard, no matter how big or small the mission, and will give it 110% even if it means giving his life.

Appearance:
Height- 5'8
Weight - 180

VECT Result:
Short-Range Physical; Short-Range Mental

Goals:
Redeem his name

Theme Song:

(Note: Sorry for any errors, wrote this directly after work! I'm excited to get started.)​

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's sending their apps in, but I won't have mine soon, maybe within the next 12 hours.

Expect great, gimmicky things!

ecd176bd3a8d46944a6a25af95a14937.png

"..."

Name:
Anchovy Scarletfever

Sex:
Anything for you bby Female

Background:
The Scarletfevers are a prominent family with great political power. As the sole daughter, Anchovy never truly had a choice. Sure, one could say that her parents could get her all the material things she wanted, but ultimately, they chose her friends, they chose her educational path and they chose her destiny. These series of events are what lead to them initiating their daughter into a deal with the International Variable Project.

They say those at the bottom lead lives of tragedy, but those at the top have no lives of their own to lead.

It was these series of events that ultimately landed her in Psychen Academy of New York.

Personality:
Anchovy often puts on a facade - a bright, yellow smile for all to see. She says words of encouragement. She does good. But only to hide the agony that's in her heart, the agony of being her bloodline's puppet to this point. She chooses the most appropriate time to unleash this agony - the battlefield, be it practice matches or actual battles, she will aim to brutalize her opponents.

Appearance:
Anchovy is 1.45 metres tall | 36kg and has a petite build.

VECT Result:
Long-range Physical
Long-range Mental

She utilises standard Training Physical Variables for now
Her Mental Variable grants her the ability to 'link' to the visions of animals or humans, and even the cameras of machines. This allows her to see things beyond her own reach and view things from different perspective. She uses this in conjunction with her suit.

Goals:
She currently lacks goals, for she is but her bloodline's puppet.

Additional Information:
Due to her position, she has been permitted a special type of suit equipped with cameras on her palms, soles, chest, back, nape, shoulder caps, knee caps and hips.
In addition to her Variables, she has skill in CQC, for melee purposes.

__original_drawn_by_ilya_kuvshinov__b9e8c808abfb2fd492da8f22e140b7d7.jpg

"Gee, it sure is boring around here..."

Yvette "Eevee" Lecce | 17 | Female
5' 4" | 118 lbs.
Short-range Mental

Background:

Yvette grew up to an average family in an average neighborhood in Ohio, USA. With the technological advancements of the age being the norm now, and Psychokinesis being a common trait throughout the human population, there was nothing to really interest her, nor set her apart. Living the life of the average human, Yvette quickly grew bored with the monotony of life, even with all it now offered. She soon resorted to mischief, not to be noticed, but to entertain herself.

It was when she was 15 that they opened — those academies specially founded to train those with Psychokinesis, particularly through mock combat. As common as these telepathic abilities now were, using them for combat wasn't allowed in public, thanks in particular to the Psyche system. Yvette saw this as an opportunity to experience something she never had before, and set her sights on the newly founded Psychen Academy in New York. Not yet mandatory, getting into the academy was quite a feat in itself, requiring excellent performance in regular schooling, a demonstrated proficiency with their Psychokinetic abilities, or special admission granted by an appropriate official.

Through hard work and determination, along with constant training with her abilities, at the age of 17, Yvette managed to be admitted to Psychen Academy. Thus would begin her journey as a true Constant.

Personality:

Yvette is someone who grows easily bored, despite how interesting someone might think super advanced technology and mind powers would make life. As such, she often resorts to mischief to spice things up, reveling in the reactions it so often garners from others. Unfortunately, she's not good at being able to tell when she's crossed a line, and oft gets carried away.

Very resourceful, Yvette is an incredibly smart individual, which her rather rambunctious behavior might belie. In tandem with this, she's also very persevering, never taking her sights off her goals, no matter the obstacles that may obstruct her view. Because of this, she's also guilty of occasionally clouded judgement, losing sight of other things in her bide to rise above.

Despite her susceptibility to getting carried away, she does feel remorse when she does notice she's gone too far, more often than not more than most do, and will try to comfort someone if she feels she has wronged them.

VECT Result:

Short-range Mental

Equalizer

By touching someone, Yvette is capable of adopting their brainwaves, making herself compatible with whatever variable types they are. The effect only lasts for a short time (no more than three minutes as off the start), but can be lengthened with training. This ability sees optimal use in team play, allowing Yvette to fill the role of anything the team might need an extra of, if only for a short time. Likewise, even though she can now use her target's variable type, it doesn't mean she's proficient with it.

Goals:

To find excitement in life.​

Super Interested, Will post a CS later today!

dh0t5gu.png

Prier Blanc
Sex: Lady
Height: 4'10"
Weight: 105 lbs​

Background:
Prier is a simple, Southern girl. She grew up in a middle-class household with nothing particularly unusual happening. Both parents worked, she has a sister who is three years younger than she is. In many ways, her family life was one of the average 1.5 children, just as many dogs and cats variety. At least, as far as she’s concerned nothing interesting ever tended to happen growing up. She had the usual misadventures of childhood, coupled with the usual trips to the doctor, the mandatory VECT testing and Psyche implant. Of course, her parents absolutely hated anything to do with PK, so it was banned in the household, and punished severely if found out.

As someone who grew up with psychokinesis being the norm, Prier is used to occasionally using her own powers for her own convenience. Why get a stepstool to reach the top shelf when you can just pick up the box of cereal (or yourself) with your mind? Well...when nobody’s watching, at least. She applied herself in school, and snuck off to practice with psychokinesis whenever she could sneak off, and had a supply of Psyche. She didn’t really expect to get anywhere with it, but she still applied in secret to the various academies specializing in the use of psychokinesis. Much to her surprise, she got a scholarship to Psychen, and essentially ran away from home in order to attend. Her parents are still furious with her, but they’ll come around eventually. And one way or another, she’ll prove them wrong.

Personality:
Prier likes to think she’s a pragmatist, and tries to be “cool” and badass and not care about anyone. She also at least acts like strength is all that matters. But really, she’s a socially-awkward marshmallow who comes off as trying way too hard to be edgy and is a klutz to boot, so even in the rare chances when her charisma isn’t all in her head, it’s not likely to last very long before she breaks character. She often ends up falling over, missing easy catches, or dropping things as they’re handed to her. Really, most of her attempts to be really cool tend to be self-defeating. She is quite serious about seeking strength, though. She is damn well going to make her parents proud of her, or at least become the thing they fear the most in the process.

Prier is the sort to have few friends, but be very loyal to them and spend much of her time with them. Or spend her time alone and enjoy it just fine. It’s her sister who seems to have all the charisma and is much more actively social. She’s usually either not speaking much, or if she’s with friends, talking their ears off. Of course, her “cool” persona tends to work better the less she actually says. She sometimes seems to lash out at people, notably when someone she doesn’t know tries to touch her.

VECT:
Long-range physical, small scale
Long-range spacial, small scale

Goals: Make friends. Become strong. Learn to control her powers. Make her parents respect her.

Something about theme music?

megane-anime-girl-two-stripes-my-edit-Favim.com-3373515.png

“Logically if villains exist in our world, physics say I’m due for a few heroes in my life..”

Claire Evelyn Bishop
Birthday: June 16
Sex: Female
Height: 5’6
Weight: 142

Background:
Even with Psychokinesis becoming more common, school is still an issue. It seems as if the more bookish and shy kids would always get themselves in some more trouble, especially considering the fact that Claire was the only one who actively used her telepathy. Mostly for small tricks, pen twirls, page turning, usual stuff. If it wasn’t the telepathy she got harrassed for, it would be how shy she ended up being and how much she spent trying to avoid people.

One of her oldest friends, Sarah, was part of the reason Claire has trust issues. At one point you think life’s going upwards, and the next thing you know your closest friend stops talking to you and life just throws more stones at you. With nobody she could trust to have her back and being harrassed by the others at her school, Claire got into her first fight, and that didn’t go well for her. The shy girl throwing a punch was somewhat shocking to the schoolmates but that didn’t stop them from beating her down.

At that point her only social life was shut down, and all she really had was her school work. Because of her solid grades she was able to get a scholarship to Psychen, and is trying to recover her life and re-create herself. Make a better name for herself, try to make life better, try to make her life worth something and maybe find an adventure, but that would be a stretch.

“All of these cuts and bruises that will fade away
I act as if they've made me that much wiser”

Personality:

Claire isn’t exactly the best when it comes to people, so she ends up being shy and quiet. She’s intelligent and a tactician, always trying to pick up new things but ending up overthinking a lot of scenarios. She’s also the type of person to try running a conversation out a dozen times in her head before saying something, but that just results in a rather shifty conversation and unsteady speech. As for trusting people, it’s somewhat difficult for her because of how much she’s lost faith in people. But, with other Constants she finds herself a bit more comfortable as some of them know her feelings.

Overall her perception of people has gone down hill, and while she is relatively shy that doesn’t stop her from being rather critical of people. She doesn’t say much of it, but has her secret judgements of people’s actions, and sometimes stupidity. She wants people to get better, she wants life to brighten up for her, but doesn’t entirely see that happening any time soon.

"I wonder why I wasted so much precious time
I'd never find my life inside this cluttered room”

VECT Result:

Short Range Mental: “Calculatory”

With a bit of a pause to process the situation, Claire’s Mental Variable lets her process and calculate projectile’s trajectory and attacks to the point of being able to bounce or ricochet certain projectiles or predict pathing for weapons. While she can see pathing for projectiles, executing throwing maneuvers like a certain man with a shield or actually dodging projectiles is still slightly beyond her. Melee strikes are difficult for her to track as most of them are too close for her to see it all, or there isn't enough time to process them. Bullets currently are also somewhat beyond her. Overwhelming her with fast or high quantities of projectiles to track isn't that difficult, and overuse of this gives her migraines. A bit of an issue, because she almost always uses it during combat.

Long Range Physical: Specifics TBD.

“It's every shameful fall, every mistake that I've made
These are the scars that have brought me where I am today.”

Goals:
"I wanna make a name for myself, I want to meet people who aren't crap, and I want to redefine myself. Life hasn't given me the best cards, but now I've got an opportunity to change that.."

“Let me keep on dreaming as I watch the days just pass me on by”