The Vampiress and The Peasant Boy (AbbieNoel+ChadJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donovan blushed deep red, "That's you? You know what I'm dreaming? Man..."
Rosalyn's word carried a hint of hope, but at the same time, Donovan felt a looming and insurmountable pressure that was being held over his head.

What's so great about me? Does she see something in me?

H
e watched her drink and gagged, "Is that what I think it is? " He meekly took the offered canteen and frowned into it, he glanced at her and then back down.

He took a swig and almost vomited. " Ugh! I was afraid that's what it was. " Rosalyn's fangs sent a shiver down his spine, but if she wanted to eat him, wouldn't she have already?

Donovan stood up, he felt so small and meaningless in a world that had suddenly become so full of new things. He looked out the window. No sign of his "family."

He kept looking out the window, "Alright. I'll go with you. But I have to see them."

Rosalyn stood up quickly, her eyes widening. "If you think I'm going to drain you dry, I won't... not just yet." She winked, this type of joke always scaring the living hell out of people. She tilted her head as he agreed to go with her, nodding. Her nodding suddenly stopped as he said he must see his family first, and she frowned. "No. It's much too dangerous. Your ass isn't the only one on the line here, Donovan. I swore to sacrifice myself to protect you in every single way, but this is too much. You are risking your life to see people who literally just beat your face in and seemed to be possessed. DO YOU WANT TO TURN INTO WHAT I AM?!" She realized she was yelling, her fangs fully extended as she looked away and began to pace, muttering under her breath. "This isn't the way it's supposed to be, I know this for sure.."

The voice in her head suddenly spoke up again in her mind, and she narrowed her eyes at it's words. Sometimes, it's best to realize that humans will die, Rosi. They always die. You'll stay young forever. So why do you need to protect him? You need to protect YOURSELF.

He kept facing the window as she yelled at him, his scarred fave turning into an intense mask and he clenched his jaw tightly and frowned. He balled his fists, string out across the town, across the river and at the great wall that began the middle city and the territory of the higher class.

"I don't care what happened to them, they're still my family." He stormed out of the room, not caring whether the vampire tried to stop him or not. He stomped down the stairs, catching the gaze of several alarmed patrons.

He exited and walked towards his house, where a large crowd had gathered. Donovan's heart sunk into his feet and he paused, his body going slack.

The crowd parted, making way for three body bags. Donovan raced up to them, shoving onlookers out of the way. His uncle, identical twin to the father, frowned at Donovan as the bodies passed.

"Let me see!" Donovan screamed. He pushed his uncle and peeled away the blanket. Jan's face was nearly completely eaten away, her skeleton nearly all that was left. Donovan ground his teeth ad he felt the tears coming, he replaced the cloth and ran away from the crowd. He ran and ran till he was on the outskirts of town.

No no no no.

He
jumped into the river and waded until it almost came up to his chest. He had to outrun the pain, he had to keep running. He stopped in the center of the river, unable to move anymore, and screamed his lungs out.

Rosalyn let the boy run out the room, her head cocked sideways as if someone had slapped her. She rarely talked to anyone except of her own kind. She walked out the door, silently following him as she had before. "Even if you can't protect him, someone will come. Someone always comes to take care of business." She looked down the road at the body bags, her eyes not revealing any emotion. She was then bombarded by a police officer, his eyes solemn as he forced her to sit. He didn't make her take off her cloak. "Miss. Is it safe to say that you are new to this 'ere town?" Rosi shook her head, looking at his features for future reference. "I can't say that is true. I've been in this town many times. I used to live here for years." The officer nodded, looking at the inn. "I got a word that you are staying there, but you only put a reservation in for two days. Is that correct?" Rosalyn nodded chuckling. "I don't see what this has to do with the deaths of an innocent family, but yes. I did reserve two days." "And why is that, Miss?" Rosalyn scowled, watching the boy run down the road. "Because people in this town are nosy. I like my privacy. I travel while I work, see. And people in small towns make that difficult." He nodded, eyeing her suspiciously before letting her go. She walked towards a nearby shop, gathering supplies. "I might as well wait for him to calm down.. Though I don't see what is the big deal. Hell, my parents have been dead for centuries. And I'm not complaining!"

Donovan's head was swimming, all he could see were the blissful twisted faces of his family. He felt sick and he vomited into the fast river current. His eyes were dry now, he culd cry no longer.

Why can't things be normal, why can't I wake up to my family and go to work with my dad?

He remembered the way that his parents changed before him, the hole in all of their eyes. Something had changed them, made them attack him. Donovan's head pulsed and he stumbled, falling into the river. He dissapeared from sight, caught on a rock and slowly drifting with the current.

"Donny. Donovan!" his mother's voice called to him. He felt her soft brown hair sliding through his fingers and he reached for her. Then she dissapeared.
"Son, you have to wake up." His father sat there in his rocking chair, always so menacing. "You have to get up."

Donovan's eyes shot open and he swallowed water, he was choking and scratching for the surface. His body body cold, His arms and legs heavy as stone. He yelled and swallowed more water, but brought himself to the surface. He gasped for air and vomited against, expelling most of the swallowed water. He clenched his fists and looked east, where the very bases of the Hilter mountain range was just out of sight.

I'll go. I'll become stronger than anyone. I'll find out who did this, and I will tear them limb from limb.

He waded out of the river, soaking wet and half drowned. His facial wounds were leaking blood. He spotted Rosalyn and walked up to her, "I'm ready, whatever you want me to do, I'll do it," he spat.

Rosalyn couldn't spot Donovan at first, but quickly was startled as he walked towards her, his clothes and body soaked. "What the hell happened to you?" She chuckled and stood up, her cloak hiding everything except her shining eyes. She smiled at him, pointing towards the mountains. "We'll head towards there. Of course, I could run you there faster, but I'd rather not. It's best you see and hear everything there is in the wild. It could save your life someday." She began walking ahead of him, her cloak running over the dirt road. "Now the things I will be telling you is crucial.. There are more than just humans on this world, Donovan. We may encounter other things. Things like me. And you'll have to run when I say run and hide when I say hide."

Donovan kept pace beside Rosalyn. They were quickly out of the bounds of town, over the arched wooden bridge, and on their way. He nodded at her, a look of grim determination on his face. He rubbed his right hand over it, feeling the deep scars that zigzaged across. He felt his eyes stinging again, but was resolved to only move forward. No matter how much his heart bled. "What about fighting. Can't I fight any of these things?"

If all I can do is run and hide, why is she watching over me so?

Donovan looked up. The sky was a bright blue, filled with roiling clouds that moves swiftly across the sky. The warm summer wind kissed his face and swished his loose clothing. Ahead of them, the Ynti forest loomed. It was a dangerous place, many a tale of traders and merchants being slaughtered just for the fun of it had been told you the town children for generations. Most of the townspeople either went the excrucitingly long way around it, or went the completely other direction out of town to ge to the city.

Rosi stopped, frowning at Donovan. "Because you're not strong enough. I'm not about to get you killed and then risk my own job. I can fight things on my own. But you must listen to me, ok?" She ruffled his hair, observing his face as he stared into the forest. "Yes, we are going in there. C'mon. You really shouldn't be afraid of tales and legends." She laughed at her comment, walking into the darkness of the forest. There were so many trees that hardly any sunlight shone through. Rosalyn took the hood off her cloak, her black tendrils of hair falling down her back. The braids that she had put in her hair were untouched, and her eyes began searching for any danger. She took the canteen out, taking a long swig of the blood before putting it back. "You're lucky, Donovan. I brought the liquor with me. That way you don't have to drink my food." She saw something flutter behind a tree, and she held her hand out, silencing herself as she slowly crept forward. A vampire jumped out, tackling her to the ground. "Climb in the tree, Donovan!" The vampire slammed her head to the forest floor, her mind reeling as she quickly climbed to her feet. To any normal human this would look like a pair of blurred bodies going faster than they should. The male vampire scratched Rosi across the face, a few trickles of blood running down her face. She wiped it away, distracting the man as she pulled his head off his shoulders. She then threw the head into a patch of sunlight, the sun instantly burning it. Rosalyn dusted herself off, and smiled. "Let's go, Donovan."

Donovan frowned angrily, "Fine. I'll do as you say." Donovan paused and looked into the thick forest, then moved forward anxiously as Rosalyn beckoned him. He gulped as they came under the dark canopy, in here it could be early evening. He curled his lip in disgust when she mentioned the blood. "Yes, I might need that drink soon enough..." Hekept looking all around them, his neck hairs were on end and he couldn't help but feel that they were being watched. Every shadow caught his eye and leaped at him.

Donovan froze when Rosalyn seemed to have sensed something. He cried out when the male vampire attacked her and he tried to get in the fight, but they were much too fast. Rosalyn had already dispatched the beast by the time Donovan had caught up with them. He was breathing heavily, "How do you...move...so fast!" He stared as she threw the head into the last sunlight they would see for a while.

"Um. Yes, let's go."

Dammit, there's fighting already and I can't do a damned thing about it..

The pair continued though the dark forest, Donovan was so on edge that his stomach began to ache from being so tense. He thought he heard voices, whispering in the distance. Then right in his ear a female hissed, "Hello there, delicious one." He yelled in surprise and turned around, fists ready. Yet, nothing was there, only the weakened breeze, low shrubbery, and thick trees.

Rosalyn laughed at his question, stopping for a brief moment. "It's just part of who I am, I guess." They walked for a while, the wind and rustling of the trees making small noises. Rosi knew this wasn't something serious, and so she continued to walk, looking over at Donovan every once in a while. She turned around quickly at the sound of Donovan yelling, grabbing his close. "What?!" She sighed as nothing was there, looking away and continuing to walk. "You're being paranoid, Donovan. There's nothing here." She laughed and looked over at him, smiling. "You ok?"

Rosslyn kept walking. Donovan looked around, touched his ear and said, "I heard a voice. A woman. She said, 'Hello, delicious one.' Like she was right next to me!"

Donovan quickly caught up to Rosslyn so that they were neck and neck. He scratched his scalp nervously and couldn't stop looking around with wide scared eyes. "I swear I've heard that voice before."

Ahead, Donovan thought he could see the edge of the forest and penetrating rays of sunlight, or was that just is imagination.
"I don't think I ever got your name. "

Rosalyn eyebrow's perked, her head tilting as she said the sentence. It rolled on her tongue, and she loved the way she said it. "I like that." She calmed down, walking some more before stopping as Donovan claimed he didn't get her name. "Huh. You didn't? I could've swore I told you the first time we officially met..." She continued to walk, her eyes searching for any signs of danger. "We have quite a ways till we get to where we need to be. I'd suggest focusing on walking and not letting your mind wander."

"You...like that." Donovan shuddered and stretched it out.

Had she?

He couldn't remember. So much had happened since last night that his mind was swimming. The contorted visages of his dead family always lingered in his mind, waiting to creep forward and take him. He shook his head to the side and tried to focus on the present.

I will follow her. I will learn from her. I will kill whoever did that. I will follow her. I will learn from her...

"Sorry I...get a little sidetracked. Where did you say you were from?"
There was no breeze this deep in the forest, and the vegetation had thinned as well.

That's strange. Shouldn't it be thicker here?

The earth was gray here, and packed solid. Donovan's heavy leather boots barely made a sound.

Rosalyn laughed, her eyes narrowing as the events of her night began replaying in her mind. "Yeah. I like the way that sentence sounds." She looked over at Donovan as he asked her where she was from. "I... can't remember. I remember it was a beautiful place, but I can't remember much else about it." She looked over at him as they walked, tilting her head to the side. "Hey... Don't fret about your family. Weren't you the one who always thought of your father as creepy ?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Donovan gulped, "If you say so."
He nodded and listened.

She doesn't remember where she's from? I wonder if something really bad happened to her also?

Donovan could see a bit more light filtering in from up ahead.
"Hm. Yeah he always was strange-wait how do you know anything about my father."

He quickened his pace, furrowing his brow.

Rosalyn looked over at Donovan, her eyes glowing. "I know alot about you, Donovan. You do not know how long I have had to sit back and wait for a day like this." She grinned, her eyes widening as her face hit a patch of sunlight. She shrieked, backing up and flipping her hood back onto her head. Her skin was slowly healing where the burn was, her eyes watering slightly. "Man, that hurt." She sat down on the forest floor for a moment, her eyes looking up into Donovan's. "Come. Sit."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Really?"

That was odd. Donovan had never thought that anyone would really pay much attention to him for his entire life.

"Oh, God! Are you okay? What happened?" The woman seemed to react badly when they were getting into the light on the other side of the forest.

So vampires really are damaged by sunlight? Hm. Guess some myths are true after all.

"Um, okay." He looked around nervously. The brush and vegetation was thickening once more now that they were out of the center. He slowly sat down, ever mindful and paranoid of his surroundings. His face still itches from his arcing facial scars, he tried his best not to scratch them by scrunching up his face.

Rosalyn looked over at Donovan warily, her eyes narrowed. "Yes. I should be fine soon. Some rest is needed though. And knowing you humans, you'll need to stop and eat sooner or later." She leaned in closer, her breath and mouth inches from his face. "Do you.. realize what I am now, Donny? May I call you Donny?" Rosi sighed, her mind filling with darkness for a moment as she smelled the blood on his face.

Come now, Rosi. Just have a small sip. Knock him out and taste his blood. Who knows the powers it will possess? It wouldn't hurt to try it. Besides, sometimes there's a better outcome by breaking the rules than standing back and doing what you should, eh? The boy just needs some.. care. Yes, that's it! Care! So help the boy become a man! Steal his blood, Rosi. DO IT!

Rosalyn snapped out the darkness, her eyes widening. The voice.. it was familiar. It always came to her at the worst times, urging her to do the bad things she wished not to do anymore. "I.. I'm sorry. You shouldn't see a creature like me. Nor should I indulge my personal life onto you. Bad things can come of what is the most secretive, Donovan. And I'd like to keep you at bay for now."

"Yes, I am a little hungry." He'd been so distracted that he hadn't really been paying attention to his basic needs. He exhaled sharply and he recoiled in fear as Rosalyn seemed to become an animal. He brushed his tunic nervously and tried to regain his composure.

"It's...alright." He gulped, his heart pounding in his chest.

Come on, you puss. Get yourself together.

He cleared his throat. "We all I secrets, I guess." He paused, biting his lips nervously and staring at the ground. He looked to Rosalyn, then to the edge of the forest. "Thanks for...for...saving me."

Rosalyn had closed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose as she inhaled deeply through it one more time The smell of the blood tingled her senses, leaving her in a euphoric state. "I.. love the way your blood smells. But Ill eat later, or starve trying to save you." She smiled, opening her eyes as she scooted away from him, reaching into her pouch and handing Donovan a chunk of meat. "This should hold you until we reach the next town. If you want to sleep, just let me know. I'll hold you while I walk. We must get there before dusk." She stood up, facing towards the edge of the forest. "I'll stand guard." Donovan thanked her, and she kneeled down in front of him, her face softening as she put a cold hand to his cheek. "There's no need to thank me for doing what I needed and was told to do, Donny. I know how it feels to see your family dead at your feet. To smell the sweet smell of blood cling to the air. To see the look of death on each of their faces. Remember, I once had a family too." She kissed him, her cold lips gently touching his forehead. "Sometimes, I wish I was beautiful and young again."

Status
Not open for further replies.