The Unpredictable Blade

His mind was groggy. Opening his eyes would take too much effort. He wondered when he last slept. It was probably a day ago, against a makeshift lean-to. He had an odd idea of being lifted and moved. Certainly he felt the shifting of weight and motion. Khavar was now sitting. He had thought he heard someone speak earlier, but the words were lost. The hands had left him and all that he felt was the chair. It was hard and uncomfortable. He wondered if he should have made something better, but there wasn't much time to improve his shabby little home. He didn't feel like thinking anymore and receded further into the bliss of sleep.

Renaya studied him closely and when she saw that he was falling asleep, she removed her cloak to wrap it around him to keep him warm and she then walked up to one of the windows and she looked outside, being deep in thoughts.
She stood there and watched the skies and nature even as morning had started to roll in, when it was early morning, she sat down on the floor and she drew one of her blades and then studied it with her gaze, her eyes wandered across the silvery steel and she trailed her fingers carefully across the flat side of the blade.
A small sigh escaped her lips and she pushed herself up to her feet and then stepped outside, she drew her other blade and she'd then start to practice different swings while her eyes narrowed, she concentrated each swing but now and then did a too violent swing which disrupted her balance.

Khavar woke by morning's first touch. He always rose with the light. It was something instilled into him by experience. There was a cloak wrapped around him. Melina was still deeply asleep in his bed. Had he ever slept that well? Khavar shook his head. It was a luxury he could not afford. There was a distinct sound coming from outside. He got up and felt the soreness of his body. It was a feeling he had felt almost every day.

The outside air was still chilly, but the cloak still clung onto him. The warmth was strange, but not unwelcome. She was doing something outside. Khavar finally realize it was practice. A terrible one at that. The way she swung had no rhythm. No flow. She would be better off swinging a blunt club or axe if that was how she fought. Swords were something more exact. They were made to slice, pierce, and cut. Khavar couldn't stand it any longer. After a particularly terrible strike her balance was off. He held her steady and grabbed her sword hand. "Not like this," he pointed out. Khavar examined her center and corrected her stance. "The feet needs to be steady on the ground. Your arms should never overextend." He straightened her arms. "This is your range. You sphere of control." The sword arm was guided in a circular movement, revealing how far she could extend without shifting her balance off. Khavar noticed another mistake in her legs. "Your knees are too rigid. Keep them slightly bent to allow for a more reactive movement." He followed this by pushing on the back of her knees slightly.

Khavar took a couple steps back. "Try again. Simple swings without compromising your center of balance." He didn't know why he corrected her. He had not decided if he would teach her or not. But the form she showed was horrible. Something his father had drilled into him until he could no longer stand.

Renaya blinked as she felt Khavar hold her steady when her balance toppled, she turned her head and looked at him as he grabbed her sword hand and as he spoke. She turned back her head when he corrected her stance and she listened intently to his words. A faint blush had formed on her cheeks as he guided her on how to move and once he stepped back, she again swung her blade, but now with much more finesse. Her balance didn't topple and the sound of a clean swing softly echoed through the air.
She turned around as she lowered her blades and she looked at Khavar. "You are awake early." She said, she seemed rather surprised that she wasn't the only one up so early.

"Just a habit," he replied. Khavar then remembered, "This is your cloak I assume." He pulled it off himself and gave it back to Renaya, "Thank you..." The words was difficult to say. He imagined that it was perhaps his first time thanking someone. There was never an occasion where he needed help. Khavar was now silent unsure how to continue. The Uvi would certainly move in a month or so. It would be enough time to help her do some training. Then he realized he was already planning on how to train her. When did he even decide to. Perhaps the pain and hopelessness of seeing the Uvi had pushed him forward. Made him choose. And it seemed the choice was to train her. "Okay..." Khavar said, "I will train you." He once again turned away from her. "First thing I need to get Melina back. Her father will be worried even if he doesn't seem so." For some reason he felt lighter. There was something to look forward to. He had plans and goals. Not a vague idea on how to deal with the Uvi, but a general outline that somehow involved this new girl Renaya. He entered the house to wake Melina.

Renaya sheathed her blades before she took the cloak as he handed it back to her and she then draped it over her shoulders. "You are welcome, I just didn't want you to be cold." She said with a gentle smile and she then raised her eyebrows in a confused manner as he said "Okay." And when he continued his sentence, a genuine smile formed on her lips and she bowed deeply towards him, even if he was turned away from her. "Thank you, I will do my best not to disappoint. Do you want me to accompany the both of you back?" She asked as she stood up straight again and she looked at Khavar as she walked inside with him.

"If you wish," Khavar answered. He then noticed his clothing. It was not a cheerful sight. He took off his shirt and felt it peel off as blood was caked everywhere. He could not return to town like this. "I'll actually be cleaning off myself before I wake her." The well was close to his home and he made his way there swiftly. Using some soap he picked up and a couple of buckets he managed to reach a more presentable look. After drying himself with a rag he changed into a new linen shirt and pants. He didn't see Renaya anywhere while he finishing up. Perhaps she went outside. Now he attempted to wake Melina. She was stubborn, but he finally managed with a rigorous shake. "Its time to return to Helden," he spoke firmly. Melina was mostly awake now, but she tried to hug Khavar feigning sleepiness. It was a move he had evaded too many times. "Good you are awake. We leave immediately." She was now annoyed but she followed him out without argument. Her mind was still trying to recollect itself.

Renaya stood outside with her arms folded and she looked at the sky in a pondering manner, she was thinking about what had happened the day before, a small frown formed on her face as she sighed low and shook her head before she looked over her shoulder towards Khavar's house.

Last edited by a moderator: