The United (In Character)

Jennifer Clemons

b121b392eb4b5b6478537b2c1d2793d6.jpg

Shit. I didn't realize her trauma was this bad. I don't think I have seen a TY stare that...vulnerable before. That...primal. She swallowed the lump forming in her throat as the woman stared at her, forcing herself to follow Leo's orders and not stare into her eyes. Rather Jennifer kept her eyes directed to the door behind the woman, offering her still a gentle and friendly smile. She knew very well that she had set off this woman, and she was going to continue to do so. Jennifer did not blame her. Had she been cornered, horrified, lost and without a home, and someone attempted to crawl to her, to smile at her and tell her the nice things she had heard...

Jennifer would have done anything to protect herself. Even if that meant being standoffish. Even if that mean lashing out. Even if it meant hurting someone with good intentions. Jennifer would need to be cautious. Quiet. Make no sudden moves that would frighten the poor girl. Jennifer was very aware that Leo had the atmosphere of a safe haven. Jennifer could assume that with a man so patient, a man so innocently sweet, a scarred woman could trust him. Jennifer was not the same as this. It was clear that she was forcing tension from her shoulders. It was clear that Jennifer was doing everything within her power not to inspect the woman. To understand her pain. To pick her apart, to understand how to communicate. Jennifer could not do this, and therefore was trapped in her kneeling, her smile plastered upon her face, eyes remaining locked away from hers.

Jennifer grimaced as the woman's face turned towards hers again with a flinch along her brow, before suddenly hitting her temple over and over again. "I am upsetting her." Jennifer whispered gently to Leo and swallowed, hesitantly making her way to her feet. "I am so sorry. I see I am not making you comfortable. Please, do not be upset. I will step aside for the meantime. I promise I mean you no harm." Her eyes strayed to Leo briefly before she stepped back, kneeling closer to the stair case. She clenched her teeth down upon her lip, praying that this could calm the poor woman. She needed space, and Jennifer was not providing enough of it. A stranger before her was enough to scare the poor woman, and Jennifer understood completely. She had fear in her stomach, however, that this woman was going to hurt herself. To go on a psychotic break, or lose her composure altogether.

Little woman so frail. Little woman I fear I am not meant to be here with you. She exhaled cautiously, keeping a smile still plastered upon her face. She did not know if her actions were enough to keep her calm, or too much to send her over the edge. Jennifer wished she knew the right thing to do, but she struggled. She could not predict this woman's movement. And even if she tried to inspect, tried to understand, she knew that would set her off horribly. "Please do not harm yourself because of me." She finally asked of her, her voice quiet and soft. "I apologize sincerely for upsetting you."

• Love
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen & Leo's friend

600full-erasmo-viana+%252832%2529.jpg

Leo watched Jen's reaction out of the corner of his vision. The sight that bestowed him tore ruthlessly at his tender heart--the guilt and determination radiating from his Qeurido was palpable. He supposed she had every reason to assume that her presence was the cause of his friend's actions. The man had assumed the same when he first witnessed it. The whimpers, the self-harm and beatings against her head, the angry and frustrated wails, all symptoms of a psychosis break brought on by overwhelming fear and unfamiliarity.

But Leo knew better. It was neither of their fault. Unfortunately, this conniption originated from within, his friend facing an internal struggle beyond Leo's understanding. If he could gently encourage more information out of his friend, then maybe he could piece together hypotheses, of ways to help her more. However, her words were always redundant and desperate.

Eyes glazing over with secondhand grief and sympathy, he dared to inch closer to the woman until she was within arm's reach. "She is not troubled because of your presence, my Querido," he said to Jen without breaking his gaze from the woman. "This happens many times. There is a battle in her head, one that she fights bravely."

He held out a hand towards his friend, palm facing up in an open offer to take it. "It is alright, my friend. Speak to me. Speak to us. I trust my Querido with my life, so you can trust her with your struggles."

One fist continued to pound into her head as she eyed Leo pleadingly. The pain grew to terrible heights, fearing that her brain would balloon until it broke from its confines. There was too much in her head. Too much screaming and fury and anguish and demands. So many demands. For freedom. For a life long lost. For full control.

She choked loudly on a sob as quivers wracked her body.

Unnaturally fast quivers.

"S-she's...she's..." Her voice was distorted and wavering as her body vibrated like a static blur. She gritted her teeth. "She. Won't. Shut. UP!" Both palms slammed to her head again as her neck snapped back, banging against concrete painfully. Leo cleared the distance between them, attempting to restraining from doing that again.

"Let your heart be still, my friend," he cooed quietly. However, her movements grew more fretful, more frantic, and she fought to loosen his grip. She had to do this. She had to make the hateful ghost haunting her existence go away. Leo glanced back at Jen in equal parts a plea for assistance and an apology for putting her through this. If this vibrating got any worse, there was no telling if his friend would remain cooperative for long.

Jennifer Clemons

"I know of one's mental battles..." She mused gently to herself, her heart racing within her ribcage. It hurt. Watching her do this to herself. How many men and women has Jennifer watched scratch at their skin, or purposely find ways of harming themselves, sometimes to avoid overseas conflict altogether. Some men assumed they would never truly go into a war zone, or that they only wished for a college education as Jennifer had done after their service. She was not surprised to see even a man, desperate not to go to on his tour, and wishing not to betray honor upon his own self image, attempt to break his arm. She knew of the mental battles that clashed in other's heads. She just did not know how to solve Leo's friends issues, festering and boiling within her very soul. Jennifer wished she knew. She knew how to comfort children, she knew how to walk a woman through a dangerous situation in times of need, but now Jennifer felt stuck. She felt truly bombarded with guilt due to this.

She was forced to watch as the woman screamed, something about...a woman. She won't stop speaking. Jennifer became fully aware that this woman was not referring to her, and this set fear in the pit of her stomach. Something was going on within this poor woman's head, whatever it was...It was not something Jennifer could physically battle. But as she inspected her, she noticed that she was blurring in and out...fighting against Leo's grip as he attempted to hold her. The gaze he gave her immediately set her on her quest of what to handle in this time of need.

"Come to me..." Jennifer mumbled under her breath as she hopped to her feet, hands outstretched as a ripple in space cracked through the open air before her. She ripped open the pocket, desperate to pull out the emergency shock blanket she had kept in times of emergency. What she had grabbed her hands on...however. "Ah shit. I forgot about this pocket." Jennifer latched on, nevertheless, to a Hershey's chocolate bar. Didn't Leo say something about this woman enjoying her sweets? Jennifer knew that if she was emotionally distraught, chocolate was one way to go. With chocolate in one hand, and her other hand focusing on rummaging through yet another pocket space, she pulled out a light, black blanket that she brushed out before rushing to Leo and his friend, hoping to hold her as she placed the bar to the side. "It is alright dear...you are alright..." She attempted to soothe, her eyes gazing up towards Leo in near desperation. This poor woman, Jennifer only wished she could do more to help with her emotional state. She wished to be able to connect to her, and she prayed that she would not struggle against the two, possibly hurting her or Leo. Jennifer did not want to handle herself if such an event. She swallowed and attempted not to focus on it.

"It's alright dear...we are only here to help...You are being so strong, and for that I admire you. Just settle your soul...breathe...breathe..." Jennifer attempted to soothe, remembering what her own mother would do in case of hard ship. "It's only a temporary hurt...It'll go away...just let us help you settle your mind..." Jennifer swallowed. She prayed she could say the right things in this woman's time of need.

• Love
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen & Leo's friend

d29d47d12d8c847fb94db647657b1a96--sexy-guys-sexy-men.jpg

The vibrations have become worse as her struggling ensued.

Nothing about this situation settled well with Leo. Yes, he had expected some hesitance and general fear, but this level of distress deeply worried him. Perhaps, just maybe, she was finally approaching the brink of no return. He hated toying with such a horrid thought, but it was indeed a possibility. He had only seen her condition gradually worsen as the weeks progressed, no signs of recovering ever to be seen. And yet, Leo persisted. He remained optimistic for when she couldn't be, because he could relate to her pain on spiritual level. An internal battle for balance and peace and harmony--it was nothing short of apocalypse of the mind.

"Hush, my friend. Do not fret, do not fret..." he cooed gently, now embracing the girl fully as she shook violently. The sensation was uncomfortable against his motionless body--painful, in fact, but it had at least reduced the volume of her whimpers. He couldn't afford to release her and let her bash her skull into the wall again. Just as he was about to check on his Querido again, he paused to curiously await what she would extract from one of her pocket dimensions...

Chocolate.

A Hershey's chocolate bar.

In reality, it wasn't a bad idea. In fact, it was rather smart of her to assume that chocolate would help. Jen must've remembered him mentioning the woman's love for sweets and capitalized on the notion. Pride momentarily pierced the pain; his precious Querido was such a brilliant soul.

And then, the unexpected.

Quinn fell still in Leo's arms. When he absorbed the woman's expression, he was surprised to see her ogling the candy bar with rapt attention, a flicker of life returning to her sky blue pupils. She followed the treat's every move like a starved hawk on a mission. All symptoms of her mental break were muted and all that was left in his hold was a tamed and transfixed girl.

Leo beamed at Jen as she approached with the chocolate and safety blanket. He carefully released his friend, allowing her to sit in a loose cross-legged position. Her eyes never left the chocolate bar. "Wonderful idea, my Querido," Leo gushed, the smile upon his face nearly splitting his cheeks. This was the most peaceful he had ever seen of the blonde woman.

Nonetheless, she didn't react much to Jen's words of comfort. As soon as she started lowering the chocolate bar to the floor, she disappeared in a gust of wind and blue sparks. She reappeared next to Jen with the candy in hand, nibbling on it like a greedy hamster as she stared ahead into nothing. The safety blanket was wrapped snugly around her shoulders.

Leo blinked.

Looked at where she used to be.

Then back at her.

"Oh...you're quite fast, my friend!" he observed helpfully. However, his eyes widened in shock as a voice both familiar and unfamiliar pierced the air.

"Stop, you're gonna make me blush," she drawled in undeniable sarcasm before glancing over at Jen. She barely stopped eating the chocolate long enough to mumble, "Thanks. For the candy from the gods, I mean." She winced as a throbbing thundered in the back of her head; she immediately regretted smacking her cranium into concrete like a frantic idiot. "Christ that's gonna sting in the morning," she grumbled to herself.

• Love
Reactions: KatSea
Jennifer Clemons

Jennifer felt shock seep into her body as the woman's glance locked upon the chocolate bar within her hand. She blinked, once, twice, relieved that her accidental find would prove to be a miracle. Jennifer bit her lip gently as she approached, reaching down to place the bar upon the ground for the woman to grasp. "Here...I hear you like sweets..." She spoke softly, once again pulling her lips into a reassuring smile. In a mere second, the woman was gone from the floor and beside Jennifer, nibbling at the chocolate in content with the blanket draped over her shoulders. Jennifer almost felt a laugh of surprise bubble in her chest, realizing that the girl's power must have been increased speed, which would explain her sudden blurring in and out of existence. Jennifer found herself never to be surprised by superhuman abilities. She had grown up with them, they were almost her entire life. The only thing that did surprise her is when someone did not have abilities. She supposed she found empathy and connection with this, and slowly extended herself to stand straight once more.

"You are welcome, my friend." Jennifer replied, inspecting her as she appeared to devour the chocolate ever so quickly. Her mannerisms began to kick in, and she reached back into her original pocket to retrieve two more bars, recalling she had at least six in there for emergencies. What she considered as an emergency would have been vastly different than what Leo could have considered as an emergency. Jennifer found that she could have extended shifts, fast for longer periods of time, or even be forced to ration out food on a difficult day. Chocolate was her answer to just about everything, whether it be a beating, a child in need, or this woman before her. She did feel a blush grow on her cheeks as she extended one more bar to her, swallowing down her fear.

"We can help you. I have a first aid kit someone in these pockets, and I have more chocolate here for you if you'd like. I figured you might be hungry, and I am the kind of person to always have an emergency stash of some sort of food. Will you let me assist you, my friend?" She inquired, taking the tone of her querido as she closed the food stash, ripping open one last dimension to reveal some medication bottles, a first aid kit, and of course spare rags, gauze and medical tape. She did not like to reveal where some of her items were from, but they were there nevertheless. "Okay here we go..." Jennifer gently pulled out the aid kit from the pocket, recalling how many pockets she had still. Her weapons stash. Food stash. Health stash. She had taken her blanket stash out of commission. Trench coat was with her weapons stash. Everything was in check for the meantime. "I don't know how hard you have hit your head sweetness, but I should have something in here that could help with the pain..." Jennifer began to pull out some bottles as well, her head wracking with dullness as she had kept her portal open for an extended period of time. Once she figured she had everything she needed, she closed the portal, keeping her hand upon her temple.

"We can take this at your own pace, my friend, if you'd like. And as I promise, I have more chocolate. I even have some potato chips and caramels in there as well if you'd like." She offered, her smile genuine and caring, cautious and thoughtful.

• Love

Again, the woman was barely listening to Jen, though there was far more awareness and clarity in her eyes. Just the smallest flicker of unease and paranoia tinted her demeanor as her glance shifted about, as if scanning every corner of the hall for someone to attack. However, she did tune back into Jen's words at the mention of getting more chocolate. Streaks of the candy smeared across her cheek, she stared blankly at Leo's Querido before extending a hand.

"Deal. Can I get another one?" she asked lowly. Even as she spoke, her leg started tapping impatiently, as if she was struggling to keep herself under control. Just the tiniest hint of tremors wracked her body. However, something akin to amusement glimmered in her eyes, scanning Jen up and down.

"How cute. You guys are twinning are talking the same way. Hey Leo," she called out to the Brazilian man, who perked up at the mention of his name. She was so talkative! Just the sound of normalcy (disgruntled, but still) entering her tone made relief and joy blossom within him.

"Yes, my friend?"

"Is she, like, your girlfriend or...?"

"Why of course!" Leo replied immediately, as if that was the most obvious fact in the world. "Jenny is my dearest girlfriend. My Querido."

"That Portuguese for girlfriend?" Quinn prompted with a smirk. Her hand was still waiting for another chocolate bar. "Mind if I reload Ole Mighty Chocolate Giver? I'm getting a little uh..." She motioned down to her now rapidly bouncing leg and, as if on cue, her head throbbed with whispers clawing back to the surface. "Uh, yeah. More chocolate soon would be awesome. No rush, really."

She grimaced almost begrudgingly, as if Jen had asked her to smack her head into concrete again. She waved off the offer for painkillers, all while trying to ignore the heat slowly filling her cheeks. "Ah, no worries on the drugs and stuff. I'll uh...I'll pass." The blush grew a tad darker. She scratched the back of her head, though she instantly regretted the motion as soon as her fingers scraped the sensitive spot. "Besides, those things don't last longer than five minutes on me. Trust me, I've tried some heavy shi..." She stopped herself from traveling further down that road. Never again. She shook her head.

"It just won't work and I, uh...I wouldn't be able to take it properly anyways..." Her gaze strayed to the side in embarrassment, her feet shuffling side to side restlessly.

Last edited:
  • Love
Jennifer Clemons

Jennifer briefly followed the friend's gaze, nervousness and defensiveness continuously present within her big, blue eyes. Jennifer ran her teeth gently against her bottom lip in concern before the woman asked once again for the chocolate. Jennifer handed it to her slowly and surely, cautious not to startle her. Concern grew in her stomach as she glanced down and witnessed the woman's foot tapping, her body threatening to tremble. Jennifer recognized this in two places, one, excitement and impatience that would overtake Jonah during the holidays, or on occasion, her father during his wait for her siblings to return from an endeavor he told them, very clearly "Don't." The second place she witnessed this was at the school she worked, where an eighth grade child had gained anxiety while waiting for her parents to pick her up after she had gained an injury by means of another student. Fear, anxiety, desperate to hold something within her and not it let be known to Jenny.

"Here you go, dear." She told her gently as she placed it within her hand, a smile overtaking her as she noticed the chocolate stains at the corners of her mouth. Motherly instincts nearly overtook Jennifer, desperate to lean over and clean her face with her thumbs as she had done for Hanna and Evan. Abigail wouldn't have it, and Jonah would change into an angry rabbit in order to escape it. She withheld the urge, however, despite her face growing red with the happiness of the memories that returned to her mind. However Jennifer was caught off guard by the woman's question as to whether or not she was romantically involved with her querido, and to which Leo replied to as most certainly.

Jennifer realized it must have been a cultural misunderstanding, and she merely shook it off, laughing gently instead as she brushed back stray hair. "Querido means dear, my friend. And yes...I suppose I am a girlfriend of sorts." She found that her cheeks threatened to warm up, and no more words could escape her. She supposed she should simply say that she was a friend, but nothing else could manage. It did not matter. She knew Leo knew what she meant.

She prayed.

"Alright alright...I have a few more bars in here as well after you are done." Jennifer decided to rip open the space one more time, keeping it open in case the woman decided to grab more. She ignored the lightheadedness and shook her head as the woman explained how drugs didn't work. And how she tried heavier things to ease her pain. Jennifer grit her teeth. She had realized this woman was in horrible condition, but she did not realize she went to extremes. When Jennifer was stressed, she would occasionally take a shot of alcohol or try a cigarette, but after meeting Leo she had decided to quit that, considering he was a better way to conduct her worries. Healthier. She swallowed before claiming

"At least let me inspect your head sweetness. I may be able to bandage it up or find a way to make it feel better. I have some anti-infectant as well if you need it." She offered very gently, her eyes locked with her pocket space briefly as an exhale passed through her teeth.

• Love

On the exterior, Leo's demeanor radiated his usual sunniness and tender smiles, beaming at his two companions. However, internally, his emotions could be accurately compared to a man stumbling upon what he believed to be a mirage of paradise turning out to be blissful reality. He knew that he and his Querido were not romantically involved, and he also knew what misunderstanding the supposed "naivety" of his response could produce. Of course he knew. However, what he hadn't predicted was Jen's response.

Not a blatant denial of such an idea. Yet, at the same time, not complete acceptance.

There was hope...There was hope. Just the faintest onset of flutters erupted in the pit of Leo's stomach before he extinguished the feeling. Either way, the revelation would come back later to invade his mind, his every waking moment, his every giddy inhale taken before a smile split his face.

In the end, whatever fireworks setting off beneath his skin were shielded from view like an eclipse, and so he blinked innocently. "Yes. My friend of female gender. But, of course," He leaned forward to whisper (loudly and playfully) to his blonde friend, "Meu Querido is my most special and precious friend of female gender. No exceptions, yes?" Pure amusement twinkled in the woman's eyes, which still shifted between him and Jen.

Oh, this was hilarious...but not the best distraction. Whether or not they shared romantic feelings, it didn't matter. They obviously looked like a happy pairing, one that got along quite well and enjoyed one another's company. It...It reminded her of just how lonely she was. Of how badly she missed...

The woman grimaced. "Thanks," she grumbled while scarfing down her second chocolate bar. Her mood had clearly soured again. However, it didn't mean that she was any less observant. Jen seemed somewhat winded, as if struggling to maintain her little...whatever the heck that floating hole was. One glance Leo's way had confirmed her suspicions, because the Brazilian man was eyeing her with worry as clear and prominent as a flashing sign in Las Vegas.

"Qeurido? Please, do not harm yourself," Leo pleaded gently before reaching out to tuck a strand of hand behind her ear. The back of his hand lingered to caress her cheek, the movement tender and caring, before giving her space once more. The sight almost made the blonde woman gag on her chocolate.

"Yeah, what he said," she mumbled while doing everything within her power not to look at them anymore than necessary. Their chemistry was personally pissing her off now. "Just have two of those magic bars on handy. As for my head? Naw," And she walked off between them, heading for the leading back downstairs. "I heal kinda quick anyways. Should've seen the bruises I got from those damn stairs earlier."

Leo followed after her. "But your head injury is significant, my friend."

Eyes rolling heavily, she stopped to toss her head back and groan. She glanced over her shoulder at Leo and Jen. "Dude. Listen. I appreciate all the help you've done, but I...I gotta go and--oh fffffffuck!" she suddenly cursed as an usually powerful throb exploded in her skull like a blunt pike driving through the bone. She fell to one knee and grunted. "For fuck's sake, C-Colette..." she hissed.

"My friend!" Leo rushed out as he knelt down next to her, a supportive hand landing on her back. However, before he could say more, his heightened senses picked up the distinct sound of...an engine? A car--approaching the station.

• Love
Natalie "Nat" Precious Kross | Location: Natalie and Quinn's Apartment | Interactions: Memories

MV5BMjEzMTE4MDQxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ3ODYxNA@@._V1_SX1500_CR0,0,1500,999_AL_.jpg

It hurt so fucking much.

So much more than the weight of a solar system imploding within her body. More painful than drilling a gaping hole through her chest cavity. Far worse than smashing your fingers into steel and bending each joint back with mind-numbing snaps. All mutilated cartilage and pulsating agony and blood-curdling screams and curses and all sorts of blinding discord wreaking havoc upon the human senses.

None of it compared to literal Hell eating away at Nat from the inside out.

Piles of paperwork littered her desk. Unorganized. An absolute fucking mess. Nothing like the neat and tidy environment she preferred to work in. Among those forensic documents faxed in by Detective Yamanashi, hypothetical blueprints and chicken-scratch formulas for upgrades to the precinct's grenade androids, and terribly tarnished, balled up swaths of tissue, were extra Missing Person posters. Her girlfriend's most recent Facebook photo stood out on them front and center, with a detailed physical description and contact information laid out underneath. No, not quite her most recent.

Quinn's current profile picture was a depiction of them both. Nat's twenty-second birthday, the pair pressed cheek to cheek, and flashing cheesy expressions at the camera as their coworkers drunkenly stumbled about in the background and harmlessly harassed the bartender. One could even see Detective Yamanashi draped along the bar while flirting with his bemused husband.

There was no way in Heaven nor Hell Nat could use that picture.

So she had downloaded the picture before that, printed stacks upon stacks of them at the office, and with the assistance of friends and Carrie, had posted them throughout the city. Of course, the precinct had also put out an Alert and Watch for Quinn. Quinn's body had never been found in the explosion. Any who dared to tell Nat to accept her death as reality were silenced mercilessly. And thus, the desperate search had begun.

That was over three weeks ago.

"Three...fucking...weeks," Nat whispered hoarsely. She had slumped into her desk, carelessly knocking her mess onto the equally as dirty floor, and buried her hands into her wild hair. She had failed to take proper care of her self. It showed in her hair, the dark rings under her eyes, the dried tear trails on her cheeks, her disheveled t-shirt and sweatpants.

"Three fucking weeks," she repeated as her palms migrated to her face. It felt hot and dry and brittle to the touch. "Twenty one fucking days," she continued, "Five hundred and four f-...f-fucking hours..." A hiccup burned her lungs. She wanted to cry, dammit. She wanted to wail and scream so badly, until the rawness of her throat and the furious pounding of her head forced her body to shut down or spiral into seizing. But she couldn't. Not again. Not for a fourth time. Detective Yamanashi would personally kill her.

Her breathing threatened to shove cotton down her windpipe, but a ghostly and mocking touch hauled her away from the edge. A pair of hands, fuzzy and warm and unfocused, encircled her from behind in an embrace. A heart-breakingly familiar voice tickled Nat's ear.

What's with all the numbers and symbols and other thinga majigs? You speak alien now?

Nat glanced in front of her. Desk neatly arranged. Documents and photos and portfolios organized accordingly. By date and category, even color-orientated for levels of priority. A vanilla folder laid open before her, displaying pages covered from head to foot in formulas and sloppy diagrams.

"It's just physics," she choked out. Why was she doing this to herself? Why did her mind hate her so damn much?

Just physics? Come on Precious. Nat couldn't feel it, but rather saw a single finger guide her by the chin until she locked onto a pair of sky blue eyes. It's never just physics. You're a freaking tech and science genius. What you do is freaking mind-boggling.

She remembered now. What she had done next. She scoffed and followed the script like an actress on dead feet. "S-sure you're not just saying that to...to butter me up and sk-..." Her eyes burned. "Skip washing dishes..."

A cheeky smile pulled at imaginary lips. The hug tightened; it looked like it did. That was how she remembered.

Damn, I've been found out. Welp, guess I should be punished with like aggressive cuddles or something. Quinn nodded, satisfied with that idea. Yep. Maybe an insufferable nap thrown into the mix too.

"I can't..." Nat reached back to run her hand through golden locks. "This is due soon."

Quinn snorted. Butterfly kisses trailed from her pulse point up to her pounding temple.

Babe, I hate to break it to you, but your definition of soon is a little screwy. You've got like a week to get this done. She nuzzled her nose into Nat's hair. You're over-working again.

"N-no I'm...n-...not..." Sobs shook Nat's shoulders.

You totally are. Take a break, lay down a bit. I'll give you a signature Quinny massage and everything...Sound like a plan?

Sounds like heaven.

That was supposed to be Nat's next line, but she couldn't bring herself to speak. The hiccups and whimpers spilling from her lips prevented words from escaping. She couldn't breathe. Why did her chest feel so fucking tight? As if a grown man's fist was squeezing her heart until it ballooned and popped? Nat clawed at her chest weakly, head lowering to meet the desk with a hard thud.

"Quinny," she wheezed, "Quinny. Quinny c-come back! Pleeeeease, please, please, please, please, PLEASE!"

You've always got me, Precious--

"Then why'd you l-leave me?!"

I love you.

"Why?! Quuuuuin!"

The last of her breath gave in with a weak cry, her form crumbling even more into the wooden surface. She was unraveling. This was it. Her ultimate downfall.

I love you.

The lowest point yet and she feared she would never rise again. Not on her own. Not without Quinn.

I...love you...

Her body, weak and limp and overwhelmed, slipped out of the chair onto the floor, immediately curling into herself like a child stranded in a frozen tundra.

This was not a seizure, but she wished to any gods or goddesses listening that it was.

Love you...lots, Pre...cious...

She wanted to blackout, to have a moment of reprieve before she willingly tossed herself back into an ocean of grief, hallucinations, anger, and sleep-deprivation. The crying had ensued once more, so maybe, hopefully, that ocean would come soon to sweep her asunder.

You've always got me.

Everything fucking hurt.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Jennifer Clemons

Despite herself, a chuckle escaped Jennifer at his none too quiet whispers. She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth teasingly, popping open the kit and scrummaging through. Surely, there was gauze and needles, string and...ah. There. Jennifer found the disinfectant, plucking that from it's space and a spare rag she had gotten from her pocket. She reopened the pocket, once again feeling a sort of shock flood her system. The edges of her lips twitched. These pocket spaces were meant to be used momentarily, not for minutes at a time, nor where they meant to be opened one after the other. Jennifer had never truly experimented with her abilities, in, out, in and out. Yet, as she realized that enemies and objectives were ever evolving, she needed to prepare herself. Being able to open more than one pocket at a time could be absolutely vital. She may need her .22 in one moment, and an item to act as a shield in another. She would need to transport items in times of necessity, similar as to what she had done with Jonah. Perhaps, even, transfer items back to the enemy. Bullets, energy, various other weapons. This meant keeping the pockets opened longer, more efficiently, even if that meant a light pressure at the front of her skull. Even if that meant...

"Whoopsie." She mumbled under her breath with a giggle as one foot nearly gave out, and she had to press her hand against the wall to regain her balance. "Alright...chocolate storage is down and out." Jennifer did feel a light blush creep upon her cheeks as Leo brushed her hair back, lingering his hand at her cheek for a brief moment. "I am not harmed, Querido." She claimed gently as she quickly shut both of the pockets, her eyes fluttering briefly. "See, I am still as precious and stable as ever, although my brain feels like jello." She grinned sheepishly and glanced down at her hands, chocolate bars in one and medical supplies in the other. She handed the bars once again to the woman, relieved that this calmed the woman, if only briefly

I could really go for some milk and cookies now...man watching her munch on those bars is sure making me hungry. No...can't think about food...Chinese...cookies...

Jennifer clamped her jaw before any possible drool or other unsavory expressions could escape her. She would remain strong for now, she had been used to forcing herself to not have food for specific periods of time, specifically to learn how to adapt. But once again, when Jonah was in town she spoiled herself. When Leo was around...she spoiled herself. She had to bite down a chuckle at the thought, realizing that the only unhealthy piece of their relationship was how healthy he had turned her habits. Eating appropriately, managing stress, not drinking. She wondered if he did a similar thing to this woman. Surely he must have been able to. He brought her food. Brought her company. Held her if she shook. Jennifer mentally scribbled down notes, realizing that the best way to remain her healthy relationship with his friend was a gentle nudge. And a lot of chocolate

"Wait, you really should let me help..." She asked of her gently, watching as she collapsed to her knees. She had followed Leo after, again keeping space and remaining behind him. "You shouldn't be pushing yourself sweetness...it's only going to put stress on your head, and that's no good. You should stay seated." Jennifer suggested, soft and cautious. She noticed that silence over took her Querido, and as she reached out gently to place her hand upon the woman's shoulder, Jennifer inquired "Is everything okay anjo?"

• Love
Quinn Bonnibel Kimberly | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Leo & Jen

corinna.jpg

It hurt so fucking much.

Why did Colette do this to her? Why, why, why?? Was this really how Quinn was cursed to live the rest of her life? Trading mental blows with some spiteful disembodied bitch floating around and bouncing about in her head like a ping pong ball personally sent by Satan? Maybe that description was a tad ridiculous, but that was genuinely how Quinn envisioned Colette's presence. Chaotic. Everywhere yet nowhere at once. Always bouncing back without fail to nail her in the most sensitive, impossible to reach sector of her brain.

It was maddening.

And God...God, she missed Precious so much. She wanted her Love back; she wanted nothing more than to race home and scoop her up, wanted to lock her into an inescapable night of cuddles, wanted to surprise her with breakfast in bed, even with all of the failed nuances, like slightly overcooked bacon, eggs scrambled without the heavy whipping cream, french toast that could've had a sprinkle or two more of cinnamon. She wanted to see that bright dorky smile split Natalie's cheeks as her beautiful cocoa eyes rolled in playful exasperation, though they twinkled with an endearment that gave Quinn a reason to care.

Because that was Quinn desperately needed. A reason to care. Not about others. But about herself. To keep herself alive and breathing, just to promise her Precious nothing but happiness. Maybe there was underlying morbidity to that line of thinking. Maybe it was unhealthy to depend one's worth on how much they mean to someone else, but Quinn couldn't help it...

Yeah well, you're worth zilch now. Both of us.

Fuck you, Colette! Quinn grit her teeth as she squeezed her head in anger. She hated this woman so much. Her bitterness and haughty attitude, her inability to not be egotistical for once--it all added up to the actual bane of Quinn's existence. She could barely pay Jen and Leo any mind as the migraine ensued once more.

The fact that you had the actual audacity to silence me with fucking chocolate of all things is just--

"Fuck off!" Quinn yelled in pure fury. Her fist smashed into her temple, setting off a series of spotted lights in her vision.

You insolent moron! Colette hissed. Cease doing that! Are you attempting to rupture your underdeveloped pee-wee brain?!

"Whatever it takes to shut your ass up..." Quinn growled.

I will gladly, as like fondly put, "shut my trap" as soon as you concoct a solution to this merge conundrum fabricated straight out of Hell!

"You're the so-called smart one," Quinn spat sarcastically. Her body began to vibrate again. "How about you come up with something?! The faster you're out of here the sooner I can..." She grit her teeth. She just wanted to go home goddammit--

"Queirdo, my friend," Leo called out quietly while peering out the window. Something concrete settled into his stance, his jaw working around in what Quinn assumed to be thoughtfulness. Without tearing his gaze from the glass, he continued, "A car is here. A man is emerging. Dressed in black suit and shades." He looked at them questioningly. "Surely, we are not expecting anyone? Especially not here."

"Oh hell no," Quinn grunted while standing up. She swayed a moment on her feet, but used Jenny's shoulder to right herself, before giving her distracted pat of thanks and shaking her head. "No way. I'm not dealing with anymore people. I'm...I'm getting the hell out of here."

Jennifer Clemons

Jennifer watched in horror as the woman began to beat her head again, her lips parted in a gape. She could feel her eyes burn, her throat clenching as she reached out to grab her wrist...but then she began cease. Jennifer knew it was better than to reach out to this woman, who she knew barely trusted her. Jennifer had to let it run its course, as much as she hated it. Before she knew it, it was over, and Jennifer squeezed her shoulder lightly in comfort. The woman was speaking to herself, angrily...Leo was correct. This woman's internal struggle was horrid. Jennifer could not imagine what could be going on in her head...

Jennifer was knocked from her concern as she could hear her querido call out to her. "A man?" Jennifer's brows furrowed in concern. What could a well dressed man be doing near this abandoned train station? A few ridiculous thoughts came to mind, one, he was meeting his lover and afraid to reveal the secret to his wife, two, he was here for a drug deal, three, government official using this lair as a testing ground. Jennifer snickered at herself, noticing the woman's hesitance to stay here. She could understand, and she pried open one last pocket where her .22 laid. She pulled it out, examining the barrel before clicking the safety on.

"My friend if you wish to leave I understand, but we will not allow for this man to hurt you, if that is his intent." For all Jennifer knew, that was not his intent at all. But she could never be certain, and she felt relieved to know that she had her two trusted partners. Her querido and her trusted gun. She loved that item as if it was her own child. She just didn't need to let Leo know that. "How about you two stay here for right now and I will go check on our visitor. I doubt he means us any harm, but I'd like to make sure before hand." Jennifer, without waiting for a confirmation, decided to make her way down the broken stairs, careful of her steps. She swallowed, praying that she did not need to fire. It was never good when shots when off in the neighborhood. Considering this wouldn't have been the first time. But Jennifer couldn't blame herself, people scared her on her way home from self defense sometimes. She had never really injured anyone, but she certainly got a laugh out of it.

"Okay...let's hope that this man in a suit is just here to sell us car insurance." She grumbled underneath her breath, clicking the safety off her pistol. "Or tell us we have won the lottery. No...I bet you he's a government worker...papa always said...shoot and ask questions later..." Jennifer once again bit her lip, forcing herself not to continue her conversation with herself.

• Love
Quinn Bonnibel Kimberly | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Leo & Colette

corinna.jpg

"Yes. Just one man," Leo confirmed as a hint of nervousness tinged his tone. However, Quinn knew the man better than that; he wasn't afraid for his own safety, it was never a priority for him. Judging by the absolute worry and endearment in his eyes as he looked at Jen, Quinn knew that he was only anxious for her safety and well-being. It was sweet. And even more nauseating. The Brazilian man's brow pinched. "Are you sure? I do not wish for you to go alone..."

"She's a big girl, she can handle it," Quinn sighed while rolling her eyes.

Oh, because you're a star module for exemplary and responsible individuals who can rectify their own problems?

"Colette, so fucking help me God!" Quinn growled before forcing her attention back on Leo. He seemed to have gotten accustomed to the blonde's one-sided conversations and had enough consideration not to point it out or stare at her in a peculiar way. He simply wore a smile of patience, though the tenseness in his muscles were impossible to miss. Quinn ruffled her hair angrily. "Look, Leo, I won't tell you what to do. You're your own person, which is pretty freaking great. Don't take it for granted."

An echoing scoff from Colette, which went ignored.

"Point is, you stay here or go out there if you want. But I know what I'm doing and it's not stepping foot out there towards that Men in Black reject."

Your humor is as classy as ever...Colette drawled.

"And you're a bitter bitch since we're stating the obvious."

"I do not know..." Leo muttered while shifting from foot to foot. Jen had already descended the stairs and he watched her every move through the window like a lion monitoring his lioness. It was intense, yet soft, a paradox so achingly understandable that Quinn couldn't bear to look at him. The blonde sighed again and stood next to him, also peering through the glass with a blank expression. She patted Leo on the back awkwardly.

"Look. We'll watch her and you'll see that this is no big deal to begin with--"

You sure do harbor an infatuation with fabricating lies, don't you?

"What do I have to do to make you stop talking? Pass me the manual, I'll wait."

That is all you're capable of. Lies and empty promises!

"Oh fuck you and your butt hurtitude!" Quinn snapped, her form vibrating and hands balling into fists. He distinctly felt Leo's fingers wrap around her hand and give it a gentle squeeze; she didn't fight it, nor did she acknowledge it.

What of your immature little promises? The ones you whisper every night? What were they...I'm attempting to recall...Colette's mocking down surged molten ire down Quinn's spine. Her fists curled even further, nails digging deeply into skin.

"Fuck yourself coral-style with a spiked baseball bat, brainiac bitch," she hissed.

I know you spent two days stewing over that comeback. Pathetic, Colette said. What were those promises, oh dear Quinny? Oh, were they not along the lines of, "It'll be alright"? "I'll come running home to you soon, just you wait"? Oh, hold on, my favorite of the bunch: "I'll silence this bitch once and for all"! Well guess what, Miss Empty Preacher--I'm still here!

*Crack!*

Spiderweb fracture lines spread out from the point of impact, little crevices absorbing the blood from Quinn's fist. The brittle and ancient window managed to withstand the speed behind her punch, but Quinn knew a beat too late how incredibly stupid that was. Her breathing was erratic and shallow, struggling to scrape whatever ounce of oxygen she could.

"My friend!" Leo seized her arm gently and pulled it away from the glass. He winced upon seeing glass shards protrude from torn skin, and he cradled her fist cautiously. "We must use meu Querido's first aid--"

"It's fine..." Quinn pulled away from his grasp. Her dead eyes were still glued onto Jen. "It's fine."

---

The man stood a foot or so in front of his midnight Lexus. Everything about his statuesque posture spoke of business and no nonsense, from the erect stance to the politely clasped hands in front of him, which were coiled tightly like a snake prepared to strike. Practiced. Collected. Perhaps even trained. His dark shades gleamed from a flickering light post, the one of few poles standing on their last leg of power.

He watched Jen approach slowly. A .22 caliber. Classic design, if he remembered correctly. That was what the books said. Other books and files deemed her worthy enough of the proposition. Bearskin, a rather traditional hero with visible army training and the ability to open separate dimensions. Interesting indeed. Potential.

His eyes briefly flickered up at the sound of glass cracking. Ah--he would be killing three birds with one stone, it seemed. Night Owl's presence was to be expected, but the speedster anomaly was an added bonus. She was the trickier of the bunch to track down, but it seemed that lady luck smiled upon him this evening. The scent of an oncoming promotion wafted up his nostrils.

Once Jen was within hearing distance, the man reached into suit and retracted a wallet. He flipped it open to present his ID to her, voice as bland and stern as lead. "WPHO, Miss Clemons? I am a recruiter personally sent to hire you and your fellow heroes' services."

Again, he glanced at the other two. They were frozen in place, pinning him down with laser-like stares. Was that hostility? He hoped to avoid extra measures but, of course, he came prepared. One slow, cautious step at a time, he supposed.

"I will need you three to accompany me to Head Quarters immediately."

• Love
Jennifer Clemons

Jennifer's body tensed briefly as Leo's voice inquired if she was alright on her own. "I can handle this. Watch over her and I'll be back in a flash." She doubted that she would be harmed, she doubted even further that Leo would have been harmed in this case, either. However Jennifer's instincts kicked in, and she knew first things first. The woman's safety, and the safety of her partner. She had done patrols in solitude, and knew that this was the best case scenario. Particularly if something did happen to her outside. Leo had time to evacuate his friend and Jennifer could manage handling herself for the time being.

Making her way down the stairs and to the outside, fresh air beat against her face and revived her system. Holding her weapon before her, she turned her head slightly to see the man was standing by his car, his attire radiating authority. She grit her teeth lightly, lowering her weapon cautiously as she approached him. "Hello sir, what may you be doing on this fine day?" She inquired in an attempt to be friendly. Before she could ask any other questions, he whipped out his ID badge and called her by her last name. At this, she readied her weapon ahead of her once again, inspecting him with skepticism.

"WPHO?" She questioned, brows furrowed as he claimed her to be a hero, that and her fellow compatriots. "There is no one else here." She lied smoothly, but her facade was broken at the sound of a window being smashed. She only figured that this woman was suffering once again, out lashing upon the nearest object. Jennifer licked her lips anxiously and turned back towards him, slowly lowering the gun as she took a singular step forward, attempting to make herself larger than she truly was. "A recruiter? Would you mind explaining what is happening before I agree to go anywhere with you?" Her eyes narrowed, flickering up and down at his attire. Suit. Sunglasses to hide his eyes. She would not be surprised if he himself had a fire arm.

"Your badge...I do not believe I have ever seen it before." She knew she needed to get questions and concerns out of the way before she even considering following in this man's direction. "How can we be sure that you are not here to hurt us? And I can reassure you, sir, we are no heroes." Her throat felt dry as her mind swarmed with anxiety. She knew that this could not be good. Either a government organization or very well a scam to force Jennifer and her colleagues into a situation where they could be killed. Shoot, ask questions later.

No. Adjust. Learn. Adapt. This would make things smoother...

"I am afraid you have the wrong people." Her exhales came short and sharp, her eyes flickering momentarily to her Querido and his friend. She could handle this just fine.

She prayed.

Neil Christenburg | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen

professional-hairstyle-for-guys.jpg

Miss Clemons was cautious. It was not the say that Neil blamed her. He was no fool; he could understand her skepticism, of how sketchy and underhanded his motives seemed. But, of course, it did not matter if he related to her current sentiments. He had a job to do, a mission entrusted upon him, bestowed by the mighty and heroic hands of WPHO's fallen titans. This was his prime duty now and he would be damned if some half-hearted glares and rapid-fire questions would daunt him.

"WPHO is, simply put Ms. Clemons, West Point Heroes Organization," Neil informed flatly. He stowed his wallet and ID away, ignoring her doubts about the authenticity of it."Before you say it, yes, I'm aware of how terribly uncreative it is." That was a flop on the promotional team's part; they were better off plucking a suggestion off an online name generator. He nodded. Once. Sharply. Just as he was taught.

"A fair question, though I cannot give details outside of my jurisdiction. Just know that this city is in grave danger, Ms. Clemons. The protectors of West Point are...no longer with us and now I, along with my colleagues, are reaching out to you for hiring purposes."

Neil held in a sigh. Of course--he should've expected this. The blatant denial and refusal to cooperate. He had told the head recruit that their approach would be unorthodox, but a combination of majority rule and hierarchy weighed against his input. Orders were orders, and he had to bring them in.

"You are indeed heroes and we are never wrong, Ms. Clemons. You are Bearskin. Twenty-six years old. Utilizes a so-called series of 'pocket dimensions'. Military training. And currently in a crime fighting partnership with your compatriot,"
He gestured to the window above, "Night Owl. Aka Leonardo Delgado Miranda. Same age. Abilities quite reminiscent of his social media given name. And, I may add tentatively, not the most legal citizen to date." He swept his immaculate hair back in one smooth motion. "And finally, a Miss Quinn Bonnibel Kimberly. Face plastered all over the news and Missing posters for a near month. Victim of the ever so popular Electric Grid Drug Disaster. Twenty one years old. A classic speedsters victim of Zoom."

Neil paused, allowing his words to marinate.

"Need I go on, Ms. Clemons? Our organization does not like to dawdle. We are quite aware of who we're reaching out to, and we know them inside and out." He glanced down at Jen's gun. "Now how about we play civil and lower the weapon."

• Nice Execution!
Jennifer Clemons

"I would have expected something more original. Like, I don't know, The Guardians, The League, Heroes Inc?" She tried to withhold her sarcasm, her lips pulling into a near smile. This man set her off. She did not feel comfortable near him and knew very well that if she was not careful this could end more violently than she had wished. Slowly, she clipped the safety upon her gun, dispensing it into her original pocket dimension. He knew everything about her. Her age, name, work history and unfortunately her secret identity. The man moved onto Leo, and her jaw shifted in agitation. She understood looking into her life, certainly she did, but having her own partner's life exposed to this man made her blood boil. She forced her demeanor to remain calm, eyes directed to his shades.

"Hiring purposes you say? For me...Leo and...Quinn?" Jennifer frowned. She was a victim of that horrid accident that occurred nearly a month ago. That would explain the trembles, perhaps even the voices in her head. Jennifer was right. Quinn had the thousand yard stare, perhaps worse than anyone else she had seen before. "Let me guess, the big guys are too tired to keep saving the city and they require us little guys to do all the dirty work." Her eyes narrowed. She knew that was not fully true. The death of West Point's golden child(at the very least their fifth favorite vigilante), had shaken the city nearly six months ago. But, surprisingly to Jen, this news was not very well spread. Or...at least not well spoken. One death of a titan did not affect everyone, unless he happened to be West Point's golden man and woman, both who, as far as Jen knew, where still happily residing in their stardom. She never paid too much attention, at least not since Evermore, a cruel little woman who enjoyed her boa scarves and basking in the glory of her victories, struck Jennifer down in the middle of a night shift

You ever come upon my territory again, little bear, and Ill wrap that fur scarf so tightly around your neck that you will be begging...just begging...for me to turn you into the cops. I'll skin you alive little bear...I'll...

She stopped. That had been on one of her first shifts. That was nearly a year ago. Yet the image of her beady, ice blue eyes forever seared into her vision. She exhaled painfully, eyes glittering with annoyance. "You do not need to speak anymore, sir. I understand completely. If this is the best for the city, than so be it. But I need you to promise that my colleagues and I will have our identities safe. One more thing you need to be fully aware of...if you pull anything...I will not hesitate to put you down. Understood?" Her demeanor shifted and she smiled cheerily.

"Oh I am so sorry about the doom and gloom sir! But I do wish that you could offer more details...at the very least, if we agree to go with you."

• Haha
Neil Christenburg | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen

"I cannot speak from personal experience Ms. Clemons, but I imagine death can be quite draining, even for a professional hero," Neil drawled. His head jerked right, emitting a sharp snapping sound. His shoulders visibly relaxed in relief; that damn crick in his neck had been nagging him for hours. "Judging by the contempt in your voice, being the little guy isn't your cup of tea. Fix that then. Join WPHO and you'll jump in the ranks. Earn proper respect. Simple as that."

Neil was growing somewhat impatient. Again, he could understand the hesitation, but time was a precious necessity and he could not afford to waste it on needless small talk. He nodded in satisfaction as Jen stored the .22 away. Again, just one nod. "Thank you for your cooperation, Ms. Clemons. And as for you and your compatriots identities, I can reassure that they will be kept safe. We may be the best at gathering information about our targets, but we are far better at protecting one of our own."

A brief pause, his mind turning over the request for more detail. Whatever he hadn't told Jen were either redundant, irrelevant, or classified. Mostly classified. He shook his head. One cycle of left to right. "I'm afraid I cannot do that. I have told you all that I am allowed to. You shall receive the full debriefing at HQ."

"One more thing you need to be fully aware of...if you pull anything...I will not hesitate to put you down. Understood?" Jen said, followed by a cheery smile. "Oh I am so sorry about the doom and gloom sir!"

Another pause.

"I'll be sure to add possible Bipolar Disorder as the first item on our list of concerns," Neil said. He then waved a hand out to the hidden hero and homeless woman. "I have your permission, but now I must hear confirmations from them as well. Bring them down here, if you may."

• Haha
Jennifer Clemons

"They are dead?" She inquired, her eyes widened. Evermore, the golden duo...all of them? She could believe the death of FreakShow, having perished months ago. But the rest of them? That couldn't be possible. How did this organization expect for Jennifer, her querido, and this damaged woman, to protect the city while the strong, mighty heroes had perished just attempting to do so? Her throat felt as if a fire had been put out. Ash built up, threatening to silence her once more. "I can only imagine, dear White Collar. But how in hell are you going to expect us to handle the problem if the legendary titans could not? That is like entrusting the fate of the world to philosophy majors rather than business and political science majors." She blinked, swallowing nervously.

"I pray you are good at protecting your own, sir. Meu querido and I wish for no trouble out of this. Our job is dangerous enough, and with this addition of your...organization to the mix, I hope you know that I will not take any trouble." She felt some of the heat from her hesitation and agitation begin to flood away from her face. "Oh of course. Classified shit." She grumbled under her breath, tempted to pull out her pocket knife from the pocket space just in case. She decided it against it, snickering against his comment.

"Im hell in a handbasket White Collar. I'll go speak to them. You stay here and look spooky." She snapped her fingers at him, turning on her heel to march back into the station. She swallowed hesitantly as she treaded up the stairs, her heart trembling in her chest as she beheld her querido and Quinn.

"That man is hoping to hire us. Says he is part of the West Point Hero Organization. Querido...he knows." Her eyes flickered up slowly to meet Leo's and she exhaled slowly. "He is hoping to get us three to replace the big shots. Apparently from what I have heard, it's more than just FreaksShow. Evermore. Apparently, they are no longer here with us..." She glanced down at her shoes, her teeth clamping down to her bottom lip. "I have already agreed to go with him to their headquarters. I do not expect either of you to agree to this. In fact, I would be content with going and fully determining what is happening. He expects me to come down soon, I do not know his name, nor do I know if his intentions are good. I fear that he is not trustworthy, but he claims to be doing this for the protection of the city. Sweetness...Quinn...I do not expect you to say yes. I'd much rather help you out of this station. But, I leave the situation up to the two of you." She pursed her lips in thought.

"He wishes for me to guide you back. But I will not if neither of you find this situation safe. I will tell him that you fled, or that you forced me away. I just need you to know that something is not right. And if it's true, that the big shots are dead. If FreakShow, Evermore, Sirena too..." Jennifer sighed. She did not appreciate any of the titan's treatment towards heroes like her and Leo. The last she heard, a little, infamous Savage nearly was pummeled by FreakShow the night of his death. Jennifer was threatened by Evermore and Sirena on several occasions before she met Leo and yet...

She knew there was worse. Skull Kid had been beaten up one night and it was obvious that it wasn't a villain. A sigma had been burned into her mask, a written threaten stuffed in her pocket from what the media reported. She had even heard rumors that another small hero was murdered by FreakShow, but it truly was never proven.

"If they are gone, this city is in danger. I understand your hesitance, and I understand saying no. But I remain fearful..." She admitted honestly, grimacing as she knew that she needed to meet the man as soon as possible.

• Love
Neil Christenburg | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen, Quinn & Leo

Neil heaved a sigh. Question after question after question. Ms. Clemons was reaching her quota--quickly. He took a moment to adjust his tie and dust off the front of his blazer. There was no grime or dirt there to begin with, but it was more out of habit than anything else. Your image reflected your work ethic, as he liked to believe. "Did you know, Ms. Clemons, that the Enlightenment was an age of rebirth and epiphany? Who ruled that era? Philosophers. Thinkers. Visionaries." He adjusted the buttons on his wrist cuffs. "Science and vision go hand in hand, Ms. Clemons. We cannot progress with one and without the other."

He shrugged. "But who am I speak. I am just a lowly recruiter. But this lowly recruiter knows that having WPHO as foundational support goes a long way. Whatever I say, I mean. We protect our own and do whatever it takes, no matter those risks. Is that not the be all end all for a true hero?"

He nodded once. "Yes. Secret Cow Manure. I'm glad you understand protocol, Ms. Clemons. I'll be waiting here. You have five minutes." He silently watched Jen head back upstairs.

Five minutes.

---

"Oh. Yeah. Here's the thing,"
Quinn started, "Fuck. That. I'm not going anywhere with him."

Despite the heartburn and nausea this spurs, I cannot help but agree with you on this sentiment, Colette grumbled.

"Omg, shocker. I'll save that for the scrapbook," Quinn said sarcastically before forcing her attention back onto Jen and Leo. "Anyways, thanks for the heads up and everything, but I think I'll turn down this job opportunity. I need to get home. Like, yesterday."

Why yes. Let's bring a duel-brained psycho-drug addict to your dear Natalie's doorstep~.

"BITCH DON'T MAKE ME COME IN THERE!" Quinn snapped. Her temper skyrocketed at the sound of Colette laughing mockingly.

You may try, dear host.

"Jesus fuckin--JUST YOU WAIT I SWEAR TO GOD!" Just as Quinn reeled her fist back to hit herself again...something clicked into place. She whipped on Jen, blue eyes wide with shock. "How does he know my name? Wait, the heck do you mean 'he knows'? Who the hell are we dealing with?" She looked to Leo for an answer, but found that the Brazilian man had fallen thoughtfully quiet, his gaze glazed over and distant.

"I see..." he mumbled. A fraction of awareness seeped back into his eyes. "So he knows who we are. Our real identities, yes? That is...troubling..." he trailed off with a tired exhale. Nothing about this situation sat right with him--for good reason. His privacy was being prodded at and invaded, to a level of discomfort that ate away slowly at his bones. He didn't care for the feeling. Taking a handful of measured breaths, he locked vision with his Querido before stating, "Whatever you do, wherever you go, I shall be by your side, meu Querido. I shall come with you."

His hand fell gently onto Quinn's shoulder. "As for you, my friend, you may now leave. But please, do remember that you can always come to me for assistance, yes? Even to talk." The blonde seemed to hesitate at first, a stark contrast to how certain she was about leaving mere seconds ago, but she nodded in gratitude.

"Thanks...Leo," she muttered awkwardly. "Both of you guys. I, uh, I wouldn't be able to use words right now if it wasn't for you guys. So...yeah."

Leo chuckled at her sudden sheepishness. He wished he had gotten to know this true personality sooner and under better conditions, but he was not one for questioning fate and how it worked--

"Five minutes are up."

"What the fu--!!" Before Quinn could finish, a projectile needle was jammed into her bicep and pumped a clear serum into her veins. An unpleasant warmth and tingle wracked her body, but the overflowing adrenaline clouded her senses. She attempted to take off in a zoom...

Only to be running at normal speeds. And then she felt imbalanced. Sick. Like the world itself was suffering vertigo.

She fell to her knees.

Then flopped down unconscious.

Neil adjusted his tie again.

"I knew the speedster anomaly would be uncooperative, so I did what was necessary. Now then, will you both come quietly or should we use force?"

We.

Neil gestured to the same window, where one could see a second Neil standing by the car and withdrawing a handgun.

• Love
Jennifer Clemons

Jennifer shut off as she trudged towards the station. Whatever had entered her ear had left soon after, the man's ramblings threatening to annoy her. I suppose he truly did not understand. In her mind, those who could work would work until it was possible to think creatively again. However she did not linger long upon it, her gaze soft and nearly frightened as she looked towards the two she wished to protect. As she suspected, Quinn said no almost immediately. This pleased Jennifer, knowing that this woman had gone missing and surely needed to make her way home. Jennifer was just glad to see that she was functioning better than what she had seen before. She was not sure if she assisted in that process or not, but she was sure the chocolate did go a long way for her.

"He knows our identities. Our names, age, history." Jennifer nearly flinched at the thought. He could know about her brothers and sisters, the cabin, her old squad. He could know about the school she worked at, the building where she held classes for self defense. He could know the apartment number...He could track her down even if she said no. This horrified her. Leo offered to stay by her side and she clenched her eyes shut, knowing that he would not abandon her here. She wished that he would.

"Be sure to come visit me for chocolate.' She asked of her softly, eyes widening as the man's figure appeared behind Quinn and injected her with an unknown fluid. Shit. Shit shit. Sure enough, as Quinn began to run she collapsed to the floor, unconscious

"You son of a bitch! I told you I'd put you down." She growled, surprised as anger began to bubble within her. He was going to abduct this woman. This missing woman who was desperately attempting to get home. Jennifer noticed his change in tone and she glanced at the window, seeing his backup. She swallowed. She did not want to admit it, but she was horrified.

"Querido...I do not know if I can trust him." She mumbled, reaching behind her into her pocket to grab her pistol once again, her heart hammering in her chest. "What do we do?" Her eyes remained glued to the man, fear rumbling through her entire system. "You cannot force her to go." Jennifer hissed, pulling her weapon out in front of her. "You can take me with you, but I will not allow you to drag her along. Is that understood? I will go willingly, but if you even lay a finger on her I will fight back against you." She kept her weapon low, eyes pleading yet filled with anger and a futile battle for control over her emotions. She was restraining herself, she knew, but at the same time.

She was irrational. She needed to be cautious in order to keep her, Leo, and Quinn safe. "You know as well as I do this can be messy, please, consider the best option and do not fucking touch her. I promise, I will lower my weapon, but only once I know she is going to be let free. If these terms do not fit...then please, feel free, try me." She prepared a ripple in space in front of her, just in case. Her chest throbbed in worry and fright. She prayed Leo would not get caught in the possible crossfire.

• Love