The United (In Character)

Mobley Eats

Consume. Smother your doubts. Be fulfilled.
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Modern, Romance, Fantasy, Scifi, Drama, Action.
"The United" (IC)

[dash=light blue]The United Character Sheets
The United Episode Listing, Extras, Etc[/dash]

Origins Untold

cross_fate_city_concept_by_adimono-d3rdiy0.jpg

A call for change has befallen West Point City.

In a world protected by the mighty hands of superheroes and vigilantes abound, peace reigned supreme. Villains scuttled and hissed from the hidden crooks, from the deepest pits of our grimiest alleyways. Those without power are in debt to their protectors.

And yet, a sad medium lingers. The Hierarchy of Heroes squashes the unheard under a thumb of steel, extinguishes their collective voices with the ice of superiority. No one speaks of the lower heroes' treatment. Their abilities pale in the face of West Point's mightiest caped titans. Whatever will, whatever thoughts of rebellion fan their inner fire, a frigid reminder shall be dealt. They are delivered frequently and swiftly, in the public eye for all to swallow.

And our young heroes bow to this. Their teeth gnash, their tongues are held, and their chins are lowered. Leave it to the professionals, never think twice of the ridicule, and live to the best of your capability. Be grateful for this gift.

The Hierarchy crumbled before we could blink.

An unforeseen evil has awaken. We do not know what it is, who it is. Of exactly how powerful they are...but West Point's strongest of heroes have fallen to their feet. Our home faces a danger unlike anything ever known. Villains are stirring from their nests, whiffing out the hero-free scent in the sewers.

Your time has come, lower heroes. Wipe the ridicule clean of your brow, burn the damnable label and underestimation from existence. Believe in yourselves and your abilities once more. Believe in your unquenchable thirst to protect us. Because, my dear heroes...you are all that West Point City has left.

This is our distress call.

39fe23397f79728a4d07754890863607.jpg

ceeb45b5df4b021439dc40bcabbef411--sexy-men-hot-men.jpg

b121b392eb4b5b6478537b2c1d2793d6.jpg

26142fecf2dd1250f7c0265974f513dc.jpg

corinna.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Quinn Kimberly | Location: Apartment to West Point City Power Grid | Interactions: Natalie and Colette

_mp07534-copy_3.6a2561514d91.jpg

God, was it Quinn or did this bed feel extra fan-fucking-tastic today?

"Quinn?"

Quinn snuggled deeper into her blanket cocoon, only a few strands of blonde peeking from its heavenly prison. She hummed contently, just barely drifting in and out of consciousness.

"Quinn!"

Quinn mumbled a protest as an offensive chill attacked her body. Eyes still closed, a groggy pout made home on her visage as she blindly reached out for the covers. They were gone. Dammit, Natalie! With a lazy groan, Quinn rolled onto her back and grimaced at the sunlight flooding the bedroom. Nat must've opened the gateways of hell (curtains).

"Yes, dear?" Quinn said sleepily. She still didn't open her eyes, but it was impossible to miss the bed bouncing as her girlfriend plopped down next to her with a huff.

"Don't 'dear' me, you freaking potato," Two fingers pinched Quinn's nose, "It's past noon. Get your lazy butt up and wish me good luck." That last tidbit made Quinn crack one eye open, peering up at Nat curiously.

"Good luck on what? Not decking Ms. Ice Bitch in the face for me?" Quinn chuckled, which prompted Nat to giggle begrudgingly. Their dislike for Nat's co-worker Colette was beyond mutual.

The brunette shook her head and sighed, "I wish, but no. Just got called in by the precinct, a big scoop is going on down at the power grid and they need me on drug duty." Drug duty was a pretty sketchy choice of words, but Quinn knew it leaned towards the scientific studies end. God her girlfriend was so freaking smart. "So make sure you send me good vibes."

Opening both eyes with a soft grin, Quinn hummed in approval and said, "You got it. I'll send waves of that stuff," A pause, "Through the television screen."

"Figures," Natalie scoffed while playfully shoving the blonde. The next handful of minutes were spent dragging Quinn out of bed and bribing her with hot chocolate to take up dish-washing duty for the night. Once the normal morning skirmishes were over, Quinn gave Nat goodbye kiss and a daily dose of sarcastic wisdom on her way out.

Half an hour or so after that, Quinn snagged her favorite Snuggie (frosty blue with white polka dots) and got comfy on the couch, turning the TV on and flipping through channels. Once "Breaking News" and "WPLN" came into view, she turned up the volume and listened.

"We're streaming in live at West Point's main power grid, where WPPD has brought an end to what is undoubtedly this largest Drug Bust in West Point History."

Quinn's eyebrows shot up in intrigue. "Whoa, Nat wasn't joking. This is huge," she whispered. She sat forward a bit when the camera switched over to a line of dealers being dragged away in cuffs, some of them struggling, some others cooperating bitterly, while one or two were limp and had to be carried out on a gurney. That was weird...but Quinn didn't think much of it. All that mattered was the WPPD Forensics team loitering around in the background with their fellow detectives.

Quinn spotted Nat easily. "Woooo, that's my girlfriend!" the blonde cheered while pumping her fist. What she was doing was definitely overkill, but she'd be the biggest damn fool around for that woman.

"Detective Yamanashi of WWPD has informed us that all dealers and involved parties have been immediately apprehended at their sight of dealing. Surprisingly enough, the power grid." The camera briefly zoomed in on the electrical towers. "Their product, the famous Zoom Dust that has been plaguing our streets for years, turns out to be a sort of concentrated and addictive version of Norepinephrine, aka, Adrenaline. The contents of said drug currently being studied and tested by WPPD just as we speak. All we know is how dangerous," The camera cut to the unconscious users, "This substance is."

"Dang, so is that like...adrenaline overdose or something? That's gotta suck." Quinn cringed at the thought of it; she could only imagine the pain you would have to suffer. Sure, some adrenaline numbs your senses to pain, but if there's too much, your senses would probably overload or something--

"Look out, move!!"

Quinn's eyes darted back to the screen.

Suddenly, an explosion boomed from overhead and out of screenshot, but when the camera veered up, it showered a steel tower showering everyone in sparks and flickering fire. The sound of crackling electricity and groaning bit at Quinn's ears. The next thing she knew, the structure was coming down...right on top of the forensics van.

Quinn's heart stopped.

"Nat..."

Car keys in hand, she sprinted out of the apartment.

#

Quinn could've sworn she burned rubber as she screeched to a stop.

The scene was horrific.

A fallen tower had bisected the power grid in two, angry arcs of lightning lashing about the area and leaving smoldering craters in their wake. Sparks and smoke billowed from the towers like nimbus clouds, filling the air with an acrid stench. Pressing a sleeve to her nose, Quinn started squeezing her way through the panicking crowd and peering around desperately for Nat's face. She had to be okay. She had to be.

"Please, everyone! Exit in a calm and orderly fash--!" A police officer was nearly shoved to the ground by a petrified civilian, but regained his foot and hollered even louder over the chaos. "I SAID TO KEEP CALM! EXIT THIS WAY!"

"Hey!" Quinn seized him by the shoulder, turning him around to face her. "Where's Dr. Kross! Natalie Kross! I-I'm looking for her, please tell me she's okay!" The officer seemed to flinch at the mention of Nat, which in turned flipped the pit of Quinn's gut. The blonde's grip on him tightened. "Say she's okay!"

He slowly pried her hand away while casting a glance back at the fallen tower. "Listen to me ma'am, I need you to evacuate this area immediate--"

"Is. She. Okay?!"

And there it was. The flicker of apology in his eyes, followed by a another glance at the fire.

"Ma'am, I'm truly sorr--"

"Move!" Quinn dashed off towards the crackling inferno, narrowly missing the officer flailing out to grab her.

"Ma'am! MA'AM! GET BACK HERE THIS INST..." His voice faded into the screams. Into the snapping of electricity. Soon, Quinn found herself jumping through the bars of the tower. A wall of fire on her right roared and sprouted sweat along her face. The smoke was everywhere.

"Nat! Naaaat!" Quinn coughed into her sleeve and ran ahead, to anywhere the fire didn't touch. The more and more she ran, the more her eyes stung. The more her lungs burned. The more her heart sank. Tears rolled down her hot face as fingers scratched at her scalp. "No, no, no, no, Precious don't do this to me, no!" She spun about in place until the world blurred into a typhoon of oranges and reds, of viscous whites and blues, of grays and blacks.

She couldn't find her. She couldn't find her!

"Q-...Quinn...?"

Quinn seized up.

Then made a mad dash in the direction of that voice. She knew that voice. She had learned it, absorbed it, committed it to heart like the only prayer in her universe. A caustic burn licked at Quinn's sides as she sprinted through a narrow gap between two flames and burst out the other side, coming face to face with Nat. She laid trapped under a hunk of van metal, shattered vials and supplies littered all around her. Blood rolled down her temple.

"Nat!Oh God!" Quinn rushed to her side, seizing the woman's face in her hands. She seemed unfocused, as if suffering from a concussion. "Precious? Hey, come on, look at me love. We're gonna be okay."

"Q-Quinn?" Nat's brow pinched before coughing weakly. "W...what're you doing he..." Her eyes rolled. Panic held Quinn's heart hostage, but she forced the tremors out of her limbs and the fear from her eyes. She had to keep calm and get Nat out of here.

"Just hold on." She yanked at the metal, but it failed to budge. "Fucking come on," Quinn growled before gnashing her teeth and doubling her efforts. Her muscles wailed in protest, burning and knotting up until she heard the item start to give way with a low creak. She pushed it onto its side before letting it tumble over with a thud. Quinn hastily pulled Nat into her arms, though she didn't miss the worrisome bend at her knee.

The smoke was now at head level. Quinn crouched as she carried Nat back to the gap she came in from. The path had grown thinner, much, much thinner, but it was just enough for two people to squeeze through. An agonizing groan emitted from the tower caving over them; it wouldn't hold up for much longer.

Just as they stepped foot out of the fire, Nat held firm onto Quinn and forced herself to whisper through a mouthful of blood, "Co...Colette's still i-..." Her consciousness fell back into darkness and her arm fell limp.

"Shit! It's okay Nat, it's okay. Stay with me." Quinn spotted a group of paramedics guiding patients by the handful into the back of ambulances. She rushed over to place Nat on an empty gurney and yanked over a paramedic by his collar. "You! Watch over her with your life! Got it?"

"Wait, what're you--"

Like the fool Quinn had always been, she ran back into the belly of the tower. The smoke and fire and electricity had grown drastically worse and she could tell that several beams have collapsed, forcing her to hurdle and climb her way through the metal maze. She delved deeper, past the spot she had found Nat and into the dumbest thing she had ever done in her entire life.

All for that Icy Bitch. Why? What in the hell was wrong with her??

Luckily, Colette wasn't as difficult to find. Nothing seemed to be pinning her down, but the crimson caking her shoulder and chest wasn't a good sign. And neither was the fact that she was shakily violently and foaming at the mouth. Her eyes were rolling into the back of her skull as agonized gurgling bubbled on her tongue.

"Jesus Christ, Colette," Quinn uttered in horror while approaching her. She had no idea why the woman was in such a state, but as soon as she noticed the powdery substance dusting her nose and jaw, she could draw a theory. That damn Zoom drug must've gotten into her system and now she's going into shock. "Let's get you some help," Quinn grunted as she started hefting Colette into her arms. It was difficult at first since her flailing body was smacking her, but the blonde could manage...

Then a creak...

Followed by several more. Many, many more.

Quinn didn't want to look up, she really didn't, but she did anyways. What she saw was what she assumed to be her last moment here of Earth. A wall of blistering steel plummeted straight for her and Colette. On instinct, Quinn committed her gravest mistake yet and put an arm out to catch a bar and hopefully lessen the impact.

Pain unlike anything she and Colette ever imagined.

Thousands of volts of electricity raced through their systems and ripped bellows of agony deep from the pit of their lungs. They climbed in volume and primal horror and pain, until two distinct sounds distorted and slowly melded into one...

The tower exploded into an electric blue cloud of discord.

Nat's outcry was brittle and weak.

Last edited:
Gwendolyn Slade - 2015, 11:38 P.M.

Gwendolyn had missed the bus home after dinner with her date that night. He had offered to walk her home, an offer which Gwen had regretted severely as she trudged through the rain, her boots sloshing in the puddles as her face scrunched up in a grimace. She figured that she did not need to bother the man, for his state of residence was in the opposite direction of where Gwen had been residing the last few weeks. Gwendolyn had met a peculiar medical student, miss Ruth, who she had referred to affectionately as Izzy. Gwen did not enjoy having to declare dependence off this woman, but she had been so kind and gentle that Gwendolyn was nearly forced to give into the affection. Gwen could not afford the residency upon her campus, and having a roommate older than her with an already furnished apartment was beyond her wildest dreams of comfort. Gwen had only traversed the streets in times of need, and in the last three years of her life, she found that she preferred to sleep in the library down the way instead of the local homeless perch. Now that Izzy was in her life...and normality was beginning to kick in again, Gwendolyn found herself relaxed to a point where it frightened her. It horrified her as she travelled along the alleyway, her eyes glued to the tops of her shoe while her knuckles held a key, each one standing erect and sharp within her grasp. Izzy had taught her this, as had an occasional pickpocket. Gwendolyn did not rely on the heroes of the streets to save her, for she knew that a little bit of cleverness and determination could get a small framed girl a long way.

"I suddenly wish I took his offer." She whimpered lowly to herself as the rain water seeped into her shoes, her batman embedded socks suffering from soggy cloth and a saddened owner. "His arms did feel nice around me anyway..." She mumbled, wondering how she gained the courage to even go upon a single date. This man she had known only a week, and yet she felt her shoulders slump with trust. Fear began to bubble at her chest once more. She recalled what her mother had always told her

"Angel, confia solo en ti y en Dos.(Trust only in you and in God)" And while Gwen truly attempted to follow most of this, she knew that she needed to expand her horizons, or ever be crushed by the social hierarchy that her society had built. As much as she considered that sort of thing to be foolish and wasteful, she knew that people similar to Izzy, and to her date, her petit ami as it were, gave her joy and comfort. Yet...in the darkness of the city, with only the stars as Gwendolyn's guide...

She detected footsteps. Swift. Calculated. Behind her. Gwendolyn's grip upon her keys tightened, and with confident determination, she trudged with a louder, bolder step. Her pace quickened, her heart chattering and booming against her chest. The footsteps grew. Gwendolyn tensed. She knew better than to freeze, but her body was unaware of how to respond correctly. Her head screamed at her to run, to perhaps move to the other end of the alley...while her body protested. Shock? That couldn't be possible, Gwendolyn knew better than to give into such a horrid thing. Pain began to blister at her arm and a sharp gasp sliced against her lips. She glanced down as she scuttled along the alleyway, seeing that there was blood trickling down her forearm from...the joint. Her brow furrowed. Why was she bleeding from...

"Scream and I'll kill you." Gwendolyn heard a soft whisper cascade against her ear as cold steel was pressed against her throat, and a gloved hand hovered over her mouth. Her eyes widened, and panicked quickly ensued

YOU HAVE TO BE SHITTING ME. Maldición! This son of a bitch thinks he can...

Yet her body did not convey her thoughts. Sweat began to build at her brow and a hurried nod was her response to the man's demands, a musty and nearly decayed aroma emitting from his coat.

Jesus. At least if you are going to drag me into an abandoned alleyway leave me with my last scent being that of Lavender Honey...do you shower? What a disgrace? What a fu-

"Good girl..." The man cooed to her, Gwen's demeanor twisted into a grimace. I'm hell in a hand basket, baby. Oh God...Izzy isn't going to know I am missing until tomorrow morning...shit...shit...

Her eyes flickered up in an attempt to identify him, for he towered over her by a good six inches. He was foolish enough not to wear a mask, but in the dark it was difficult for Gwen to get a clear identification. Greying hair...rugged face...slightly overweight...just another pervert walking the streets... "Mm." She muttered, her panic now systematically overwhelming as he began to force her backwards, the hand that was holding the knife sneaking down to the hem of Gwendolyn's blouse. A near screech escaped her, and with a final blast of fury she attempted to drive her heel down into the front of the man's foot. Gwendolyn was in near shock now as he let go of her, a restrained yelp of pain escaping his lips. Gwendolyn did not get far, however, and felt the cold metal of the knife travel down her shoulder as the man attempted to grasp her by pulling her into him. Gwendolyn decided that she had two options, go down as another newspaper statistic of a young college student being murdered, or make one hell of a newspaper article about the man who attempted to harm her.

"GET OFF!" She nearly bellowed, her booming surprising her for her small body. "HELP! HELP!" The pain at her arms grew worse and lightheadedness began to creep into her skull. She felt a sharp pierce at her side, realizing that the man had attempted to stab her but missed due to her struggling. So far so good, but this wasn't going to keep her alive for long. She recalled her keys were still lodged in her knuckles and she jammed her hand backwards, satisfied as she felt the metal scrap against his skin. "Agh!" Gwen exclaimed, feeling another sharp blow to shoulder. He had managed to scrap her there too...in fact Gwen was surprised that he didn't get her. But then she realized. Her shoulder felt heavier than usual. Pain exploded across her arm and shoulder, her tongue nearly transformed into cotton as screams could no longer escape her. The man continued in his attempt to silence her, reaching up...

She bit. She bit so hard that she tore through the fabric of the glove, piercing the skin and nearly causing him to bleed. A copper taste entered her mouth and she spit at his hand in retaliation, her breathing labored. In his vengeance, he removed his bleeding hand from her face and began to pull at her hair, forcing her head back to reveal her vulnerable throat, the metal of his knife glinting in the soft moonlight.

I am not going to see the sun tomorrow am I? One wrong decision and I died. Huh..huh...No...no no no no no! GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF!

Crack.

The man let go, his eyes widened and nearly empty as he toppled back, leaving Gwendolyn shaken and pained. She gasped for air and retreated, her chest heaving as she placed her hand over her heart. The man...there was clearly something wrong. His body...his body was...not right. His torso was twisted in the wrong direction, his arm propped in the opposite direction. Gwendolyn could feel the icy trickle of tears traveling down her face. Her shoulder throbbed, blood began to pour from her nose and the metallic taste of the crimson blood was creating nausea within her stomach. She never had nosebleeds, she never had headaches this bad...and her shoulder. What the hell happened to her shoulder? She, horrified and uncertain, glanced to see her shoulder was hidden beneath a thin layer of...of...

"Cartilage?" She nearly screeched, her throat clenching as bile began to build. "Cartilage. Cartilage..." She glanced back to the man, alive but writhing upon the ground. Something began to click within Gwen's mind. She broke him. She panicked and she broke him. She somehow had a full layer of now nearly broken cartilage upon her shoulder...and his body was consistent with that of a man who suffered skeletal damage from a fall. Sobs bubbled up within her throat, a wail finally cascading past her lips. She fell to her knees, eyes rolling in her nausea, her bleeding her...

No...have to...have to get...home...

With that thought clear in her mind, Gwendolyn's head bobbed, her body swiveling towards the exit of the alleyway. Her eyes were graced by a figure before her, clearly a man or woman of superior heroics. Before thanks could escape her, her eyes rolled back and she braced herself for the pavement.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Vincent Aaron - 2006, 12:38 P.M.

Vincent found that it was divine struggle to find time alone within his caretaker's house, for the bustling of other children and her own pregnancy caused mayhem within the house. Now that she was gone on errands, the children to their friend's home and Vincent to his own devices. Vincent would meditate during such a miraculous time, but on this day in particular, he found it excruciatingly painful to focus on peaceful thinking. His mind reverted to crueler, bolder thoughts, the front of his skull throbbing as he battled off these swarming cruelties. His body curled as he began to shake, attempting to recline into the old leather couch as a method of comfort. For once, he wished to have the children around to distract him, his caretaker to soothe and hold. His brows furrowed into a scowl and the desire began to overwhelm him. How this desire came to be, Vincent could only describe as

"
Primal, primal horrid want. A taste of the hurt makes it a uniform occurrence. No one to do it...I don't want to do it..." His eyes snapped from his thoughts as it rang over, and over again. He squeezed his eyes shut, dragging his nails down his bare arm. "Get home...get home...for the love of God come home..." He inhaled sharply, the fresh taste of oxygen slicing down his throat like a dagger. He grimaced, fully aware that he promised his caretaker that he had gotten better. That he had not hurt himself for over a month, and while that was indeed true...The desire was still there. Festering, grotesque. Vincent did not wish to do this, but it was a relief to a mental anguish. Physical pain he could bare, the mental agony of ever cruel thoughts and memories of a neglectful home began to drive him over the edge. He exhaled, throat raw and ever flaring.

As he glanced down, he became fully away that his nails were continuously digging into his skin, almost without his control. "No...no no no..." He grasped his own wrist, prying it away from his arm, the flesh now flashing irritation and a burning scream of resistance. Curses escaped his lips and he pressed his head harshly to the back of the couch. His grit his teeth, gnashing them to the point where he almost inflicted sharp pain against his tongue. "Come home..." He whimpered under his breath, giving into the urge after five minutes of mental turmoil. He ran his nails down both his arms, face ignited in heat and disdain for his own self. A muffled cry became lost in his throat, his flesh screamed in its agony...liquid beaded over his fingertips. Crimson blood gentle trickled onto his fingers, and as his eyes glanced downwards, he realized that three of the six marks he had made were bleeding, two faint...but one was trickling onto the couch. "S-shit. Shit.." He whispered lightly.

Stop. Please stop.

A foreign instinct flooded through his mind. A soft touch was administered to his cheek, but the trace was cold. Not human. His eyes flickered up swiftly to reveal...Red, beady eyes staring into his. A scarred, grey countenance was inspecting him up and down, its lips pulling back into what Vincent could only assume was a grimace. A scream built in his throat, and Vincent's eyes widened in a panic at the creature. It's head tilted, reaching a long, gaunt arm towards Vincent's face. Hot tears fell from Vincents eyes as anxiety bubbled in his chest. The creature wiped them away from his face before placing its claws over Vincent's ears...pressing it's forehead to his. A growl emitted from the creature and Vincent considered struggling, considered that he was going to die...but then he realized something vital.

This was the exact process his caretaker used to calm him. Hands pressed over his ears, a gentle touch to the forehead...the creature suddenly opened its mouth to reveal it's dry, near purple tongue and several, several missing teeth. The fangs the creature did have were sharp, rugged. Vincent's chest trembled, his breathing labored and pained...but rather than biting Vincent, the creature began to clean his face of tears with its tongue.

Please stop. I am with you.

The instinct continued, the monster locking eyes with him as it had finished its cleansing process. It reached a singular claw to Vincent's stray locks, brushing it back with a gentle care. The monster let out a sudden whimper, its grasp now wrapped gently around his bleeding arm. The whimpers increased into a near howl, agony spreading into Vincent's mind as the monster appeared to be suffering from horrid grief.

Why? Why?

"I...I don't know." Vincent finally managed, tears continuing to cascade from fear and sudden realization. He didn't always know why he did this. It did not feel good, but it took away from his emotional stresses...he just hadn't bled from it in a few good months. "I don't know I don't know I don't..."

Be still. Be still. With great hesitance, Vincent forced himself to be still. The monster raised his arm, sniffed at the blood briefly before starting to clean it again with his tongue. Vincent grimaced, yet was surprised to feel that the motion was gentle and caring. The monster raised a singular claw once he was finished, a light, string forming at the tip. Once the monster had generated enough, it gently began to weave the string against the cut. The monster continued to whimper with worry, but it returned to a gentle hum of comfort as he finished the first. Vincent stared down at the handy work, shocked to see the wound was gone completely. He stared to the monster, his mouth agape in wordless thanks. He did notice, however, a new mark upon the monster's arm. It was the same length and width as the cut he had healed.

"Why are you..."

Must help. You are mine. My care. My care.

"W-what?" Vincent questioned, confused as the monster continued to remove his wounds. Vincent's fear began to dissipate slowly but surely, the monster standing upon its hind legs once ti was finished. Its shoulders were forcibly slumped by the ceiling and its red, sorrowful eyes stared down upon Vincent

Will not leave. Will not leave until safe. Others. Others. I must stay. The monster raised two of it's limbs upon the couch and struggled briefly to hop on, curl into a near ball, and lay its head upon Vincent's thigh. It's red eyes peered up at Vincent, watching him attentively and with care.

"T-thanks. W-what..." Vincent cleared his throat. He did not understand why this creature was here, or why it was that it existed. The creature buried it's head into Vincent's lap, a single claw rested upon his shoulder.

You are mine to care. I am bound to you.

"Vi...Vi...Vin...cee...." The creature opened it's mouth, attempting to get the boy's name from it's mouth. It was inhuman, yet...there was something tender there that made Vincent's shoulders slump. "Vincccce."

"Are you my guardian angel?" Vincent whispered weakly, his fingers instinctively running across the beast's fur. He was still tense, but he was learning to comprehend the situation he was within. "I thought...I thought you looked different..."

Sort of. Not particularly. I am just here to care for you...

"what are you then?" Vincent inquired, watching the beast lazily lift its head. It began to lick at Vincent's cheek again, nuzzling his cheek against his.

Yours. I stitch your wounds...I am yours. And you are my care... The creature glanced down at it's claws and, with a light yelp, broke a piece of it's front claw off. The beast gently tucked the broken piece into Vincent's shirt pocket, nuzzling it's head against his shirt. Do not harm yourself again...if you need me, call. For you are my care, and I am yours. Vincent swallowed, allowing the creature to curl upon him, it's big crimson eyes remaining still on Vincent.

Vincent felt no fear. For the first time in what felt like a century

Vincent felt in control of his body.

• Love
Jennifer Clemons - 2002, 4:30 P.M.

Jennifer had finished her hike with her brother Jonah thirty minutes prior to what they had set for time. She panted as they retreated to their cabin, her brother's hand hovering over her hair affectionately and messing it into tangles. He chuckled softly, patting her back as they walked inside. "Nice job Jen. You were able to keep up with me for once. That's something to be very proud of, I will have you know ~" Jonah hopped ahead and raced towards the kitchen, where Jennifer's bulky father stood, his head stuck in a book as he leaned against the counter. Jonah embraced his father, an action nearly surprising for the twelve year old boy. Jennifer was very aware of how much Jonah loved their father. He had taught them how to hunt, how to reload a weapon, archery, and of course Jennifer's favorite, self defense. It was her best skill, being able to squirm out of someone's grip and show them hell. She smiled wearily as her father embraced Jonah with one arm, the other propping the book he had within the palm of his hand.

"You two are home early." He commented cheerily, motioning for Jennifer to join the embrace. After he released the two children, his big brown eyes began to inspect them. "Jonah you didn't..."

"No, I did not cheat. I did not make the animals in the area help us. This was all done manually." Jonah waved his hands innocently, a grin consuming his young features. "Ask Jenny. She will agree."

"He is right daddy." She commented with a light smile, reaching back blindly to release her mane of hair from the rubber band. It flowed with grace, until locks began to travel into her face. She brushed them back, a grin bestowing itself upon her face as well. "No assistance for us. We did it all by ourselves. For once." Jennifer commented, poking her brother with the tip of her elbow. "Isn't that right Jo?"

"Shut up Jen." He mumbled, although there was still a smile presented along her demeanor. "You wouldn't have even been able to find your way back without me. So don't you go talkin that I am the one who can't do it right."

"Sure." Jennifer giggled, burying her pockets into her sweatshirt pocket. Her brows furrowed in near panic as she realized that her arrowhead was not there. Her father had given her an older one from when he was a child, and entrusted it with her. She frowned and desperately began to pat her pant pockets. She began to twist and turn, sweat gathering at her brow. "H-have either of you seen my arrowhead? I s-s-swore I had it before we left..." Jennifer bit back her tears of frustration as both men before her shook their heads. Her father placed a big, gentle hand upon her shoulder and claimed

"Jenny it's okay. You might have just dropped it while you two went out. I am sure we will find it...It isn't a problem."

"B-but." Her lip began to tremble, and with a light sigh she glanced down to her sneakers. Her cheeks began to blister and burn with embarrassment, the blood rushing to her face making her slightly off balance. She held her arms behind her back as she glanced back to her father, nodding slowly "I just want to find it papa...I know that meant a lot to you..."

"Jennifer I am not angry. We will find it." Her father reassured, his eyes flickering over briefly to Jonah who claimed

"Ill go check outside. Just don't do this again, dummy." Before their father had an attempt to reprimand the boy for his words, he hopped out into the wilderness, a light bob of brunette hair being the last thing they saw before he disappeared into the brush.

"Don't worry Jen." Her father continued, tracing his hand down her hair, brushing it from her face. "It will turn up. Just remember..."

"Saint Anthony Saint Anthony..."Jennifer replied, managing a giggle in her moment of despair. Desire suddenly began to fill her, and it was a warmth that she had never graced before. It began at her stomach, traveling to her chest where it festered and scorched. That was...bizarre. She had never felt this emotion bubbling within her, and while the loss of this item was anguish to her small body, she knew it was not worth this much inner turmoil. Her father's eyes suddenly widened and she glanced back to what she was viewing. and lo and behold was her arrowhead, buried within a scratch of the space before them. Jennifer could not describe it more than a ripple, and with her throat clenched, she reached inside the pocket, pulling the arrowhead gently and cautiously. Once the item was removed, it shriveled into nothing. Jennifer's mouth remained agape as her father bellowed with laughter.

"Ah! The late bloomer I see!"

"W-what?" Jennifer stammered, face pale as she clutched her precious gift within her hand. As far as she was aware, she did not have powers. In her family, her siblings had gained their powers between the age of five to seven. Jonah could speak and transform into animals. Abigail could control water. Hannah could, even as a little five year old, create sparks of energy. Jennifer figured that when she didn't develop her powers then, she was never going to...and yet...She just summoned her item. From what appeared to be a separate pocket of space. Panic settled into her stomach.

"This calls for celebration!" Her father exclaimed, seeming to be perfectly unaware of the panic hiding within his daughter's eyes. "Cheryl!" he called to her mother, racing into the kitchen as Jennifer held her item. Her entire body shaking, she attempted to see if she could summon anything else. The familiar desire did not bubble up with her, and she frowned. She switched tactics after five minutes, and hearing her father begin to gather the family of five children, Jennifer glanced down at her hands and desired for a safe place for her item. Before her, a pocket of space broke open, the thin, jagged ripple easily pried open by Jennifer's curious fingers. She placed the arrowhead within it, closed the ripple, which felt like silk against her palm. It withered and vanished. Panic once again settled into Jennifer's chest, but she focused on her desire...

The jagged ripple returned in time for her family to walk into the room. Her mother with her little baby brother, Hanna yawning as she had awoken from her mid day nap, Abigail appearing annoyed, and Jonah with his head tilt like a deer. Jennifer glanced at them, their eyes waiting expectantly as she dug her hand into the pocket space, pulling out the arrowhead and raising it as if it was a rare specimen. Her father laughed once more as her mother was forced to cover her mouth to keep her dainty gasp from escaping. Hanna brightened and ran to hug her sister's knees, while Abigail yawned and Jonah returned to ruffle her hair.

"Good job sis. See you aren't a dummy...or powerless." Jonah bumped his elbow with hers, Jennifer's face slowly regaining its color.

She supposed she would no longer have the comfort of being the little, well kept black sheep of the family.

• Love
Leonardo Delgado Miranda | Location: Brazil | Interactions: Annita, Roberto & Coruja Erispito

erasmo-viana-by-thomas-synnamon-07.jpg

"Leonardooo. Amada (Sweetheart), where'd you run off to?" Annita heaved a tired sigh, though were eye roll was of good-nature. It was always typical of Leo to disappear somewhere; she doubt he could get into anything worrisome. Not when the entire neighborhood were aware of the fact that he couldn't leave the area on his own. Someone would guide him back home if he approached the outskirts.

Annita pulled her chocolate tresses up into a sloppy ponytail and decided to go looking for her little brother. Mama had asked her to call him over for family dinner and she would have a conniption of Leonardo skipped out on this one.

Family should always be together on the night of Lua da Coruja (Owl's Moon). Annita wasn't the most superstitious person, but even she shared some reservations about roaming the grounds on this particularly night. As she traversed the streets barefoot, warming her soles against pleasantly heated dirt, she smiled and waved at the familiar faces of her neighbors.

Roberto sat outside of his shed, rocking languidly back in forth in his rickety chair. When he spotted Annita, he flashed a withered and toothless smile, the skin around his lips tight with wrinkles. "Ahhh Annita! So good to see you out and about."

"Evening, Roberto," Annita greeted while strutting up to the cheerful elder. She placed her hands on her hips and chuckled. "You already know why. Have you seen Leonardo pass by?"

Roberto wheezed out a cackle. "Oh yes, yes, your brother's real nearby." Annita quirked an eyebrow as he shakily rose to his feet and shuffled into his home. She took that as a signal to follow him and welcomed herself inside. She and Leonardo visited Roberto on countless occasions, so she felt more than comfortable enough to enter.

However, Annita's shoulders slumped in equal parts relief and exasperation at the sight before her. "Amada..."

"Hm?" Leonardo's head snapped up, his cheeks bulging and fingers dripping with food. It looked like some egg and corn dish, simple, which was exactly how the man loved his meals. Gulping, he flashed his big sister a sunny smile. "Ola irma~ (Hey sis~)," he sang loudly before diving back into the plate.

Roberto heaved a sigh of relief as he eased his sore bones into the cough. "He came around not too long ago saying he was hungry. Poor son almost ate the flour." Though his words were formulated like a complaint, his tone was colored a warm shade of concern and care. Regardless, Annita smiled guilty at her long-time neighbor.

"Sorry about that, Roberto. This is usually when he eats dinner, but Lua da Coruja dinner took a little longer than usual. I'll make it up to you--"

Roberto waved off her apology. "No, no, no! No worries. Please. It's a holiday, celebrate with your family and take him home. Nightfall's coming and you know it's dangerous to be out and about tonight." He grinned teasingly at that last bit, humoring the stories and rumors of Lua da Coruja. Not very many believed in an Erispito Coruja (Owl Spirit) stalking the shadows on the fourth full moon of every year, but it was still fun to indulge in the idea.

"Thank you, Roberto," Annita smiled politely before gently placing her hands on Leonardo's shoulders. It wouldn't be convenient if she startled him while eating. He could choke. Cause a mess. Or a mix to the two. Luckily, she didn't, and he smiled up at her with a messy chin. "Amada? Ready to go home?"

Leonardo's eyes lit up. He nodded eagerly. "Yes, home please."

---

"No!"

"Amada it's okay--"

"Noooo! No! No! No!"

Leonardo cradled his head and squeezed, his face flush with agitation as his breathing turned shallow. He wheezed and growled behind clenched teeth. His feet stomped fitfully under the dinner table. Annita was by his side, running her fingers through his hair while pressing kisses to his hot temple.

Another episode.

"They're not here, Amada. It's just us. No meanies are here, I promise," Anitta cooed gently. Leonardo shook his head violently, as if trying to rid his thoughts of an invasive disembodied whisper.

"No, no, no! Not meanies! Not!" His voice cracked with a whimper, a silent plea for help. Just as Anitta attempted to ask what he meant, their mother rushed into the dining area with a tall glass of his favorite beverage--milk. She knelt down next to him and caressed his sweaty, pressing the glass to his grimacing lips.

"Here, meu filho (my son). Drink. It's your favorite." All the while, she and Annita shushed him and rubbed circles into his back.

The triggers were always random and impossible to predict, but they were rare. Sometimes it occurred when he remembered instances of ugly souls berating his intelligence, taunting and hurting his feelings like cold monsters. It always hurt Leonardo deeply; they all assumed he was "too slow to understand" but he knew when he was ridiculed for being himself. It never softened the sting in his chest.

But this episode...it was unlike anything Annita and their mother had ever seen. It was as if he was fighting something within himself--

Leonard gagged on the milk. Then he spat it out and screamed, nails digging into his scalp. His screams became scratchy and pained. "HE COME HE COME! HE COME! MAMA! ANNITA! HE COME HE COME!"

"Amada! Amada please! Calm down!" Fear flooded Annita's veins. This was wrong and, above all else, terrifying. Her little brother was in pain, yet she couldn't do a damn thing to help him in his time of need. What sort of big sister was she? Tears pricked the corner of her eyes as their Mama turned Leo's chair to face her, forcing his wild gaze to lock with the woman's.

"Who, Leonard? Who?" Mama pleaded.

Suddenly, a gust of wind slammed the windows and doors open. Every candle within the household was extinguished, bathing the family in pitch black darkness. Only moonlight illuminated scraps and streaks of their home.

"W-what was that? Mama? Mama!" Annita yelled as she scrounged around blindly.

"I'm here, Annita! We're over here, follow my voice."

Annita barely heard her mother over the wild beating in her ears, but she had managed to ghost her fingers over a bony, familiar shoulder. She immediately hugged her mother close and pulled Leonardo into the embrace, who allowed himself to be brought in silently. So silent. Not a single word uttered despite his fit ensuing seconds ago.

"He come"

A whirlwind of white swirled about their home. They were fleeting and fast, but Annita had caught glimpses of...feathers? Feathers as crisp and pristine and porcelain as an ivory tusk. Before she could blink, a powerful sweeping wing knocked her and Mama away from Leonardo. She flipped and rolled painfully over furniture before landing on her back. A groan vibrated deep in her racing chest as she carefully propped herself up on her elbows...

"Host..."

The voice of a god.

It had to be a god. No sound could be uttered by anything imagined nor mortal. There, towering over Leonardo and hunched within their tiny hut, was the divine and mighty form of a giant owl. The owl of legends and bedtime lullabies and horror stories. The Guardian of the Forest. Stalker of the Shadows. Wisdom's Vessel.

The Coruja Lua.

It's head cocked ninety-degrees as it scrutinized an immobile Leonardo. Beak and face were mere inches apart. His coffee locks fluttered with the Owl's every breath, measured, exact, controlled. A giant claw peeked through the curtain of snow and curved into the center of his forehead. The blunt tip was soothing and cool to the touch.

"Your body...I need it. Shall you accept me...Leonardo Delgado Miranda."

A peace unlike anything Leonardo had ever experience washed over him. His eyes fluttered closed from the sensation, basking freely in it. He felt like he was flying. Instinct flared in his gut and bubbled to the surface, prompting his lips to move without hesitation.

"I will."

"A...A-Amada...Leo?" Annita feebly crawled towards her brother, only for a wing to close her off completely. She could only make out Leonardo's face through the gaps of the spirit's feathers.

Corjua Lua placed its attention back on Leonardo.

"Consequences are abound," it warned lowly, "Your life here shall be no more. We embark on a new one. Together."

"Amada!" Annita yelled.

Mama laid unconscious in the kitchen. Alive, but surely bruised.

Only the Owl Spirit existed in Leonardo's world. A breath of resignation escaped him and a tender smile overcame his features. A bitter tear rolled down his cheek. He loved his Mama and sister. He loved them so much that it hurt to have them love him back. It hurt to be their shame. Their embarrassment. Their constant headache and responsibility. He was different, but not stupid.

He knew that he was a burden.

Eyes glassy and wet, his answer rang with bittersweet conviction.

"Save me," he whispered, "Please."

Without another word, Coruja Lua wrapped its wings around Leonardo like a cocoon of velvet snow. And then, in a vortex of flashes and feathers, it vanished into the shadows.

They were gone.

"No...N-no, Amada. Leo...Leooooo!!" Annita wailed as she curled into herself. Fresh cuts and stings blossomed along her side as she rolled into shattered glass. A fallen photo frame. With shaky hands and gasping breath, she reached out for it.

The photo of the siblings was taken.

---

Photo of Leo and Annita:
anitta2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: KatSea
Arthur Ruth - 2018, 2:45 P.M.

“Mister Ruth I don’t understand why you have come to me today.” The doctor inspected him with disdain and near impatience. Arthur crossed his arms defensively over his chest as the doctor glanced down at his papers, pursing his lips in his prissy, all mighty glow. “There is nothing physically wrong with you. All the tests we have conducted show that you are perfectly healthy, if not a little over weight for a man your height...” The doctor pushed himself from his desk, towering over Arthur’s hesitant form. This had been the third time in the year that Arthur came for inspection. The first one had been planned ahead of time, for Arthur was fully aware that there was a possibility of some form of cancer returning. The second one was due to pains similar to that when he was first diagnosed. They had inspected him and claimed that he was in perfect shape, if not a little underweight for his height. This time around he had troubles running with his cousin and his friend Gwendolyn, which was an occurrence not common for the man. He made sure to exercise constantly, whether it be dancing and teaching those in his life how to dance, or simply taking joys around the neighborhood. But the last week had been tiring for Arthur and once again, he feared the worse. His original doctor as a younger man welcomed these check ups, but as he grew older he found that they became more common. The results were always the same, he was healthy, and perhaps a little under or over weight. This began to annoy Arthur, and while he was grateful he was not sick, he knew that there was something wrong in his head. He kept finding ways to express physical ailments, and whether or not they were false was not apparent to Arthur.

“With all due respect sir I was just making sure that I don’t have any other form of cancer. I know leukemia is much more common in the younger population, but I am aware that in some cases, even after recovery, cancers can come back. Even if it isn’t the same kind.” Arthur glanced sheepishly down at his swinging feet, chewing at the inside of his cheek in his anxiety. “I appreciate the check up sir. Is there anything you need to inform me of before I go?”

“Only that your insurance still manages to cover everything...somehow.” The doctor mumbled, a tight smile pulling at his lips. “You are healthy Mister Ruth. I highly doubt you will develop any similar illnesses in the future. I hope you have a good rest of your day.” The doctor trudged to the door and held it open for Arthur, who let out a sigh as he hopped up from his seat and exited the office. He didn’t bother to book another appointment on the way out.

The weather outside was none too surprising. Crummy and damn near pouring. Arthur grumbled under his breath as he plucked his cousins unbrella from the depth of his coat pocket, which happened to be decorated in the bane of Arthur’s existence. Ladybugs. He popped the umbrella open and sighed his relief, his body shivering from the cool breeze that travelled by. He was going to request a famous Cyrus Booker hug when he got home to their apartment, and then perhaps convince him to visit Izzy and Gwen. He did not wish to admit his visit to the doctors, however, and gnashed his teeth as he thought about it still.

“At least I’m not sick...” He mused to himself, feeling a gentle figure fall into him as he trudged on the sidewalk. A man, a half foot smaller than Arthur had collided into him, his hands clutching the sides of his coat desperately. Arthur realized that the strangers knees were buckling quickly, and his hands grabbed for him. Gently he helped him to his feet, watching the man’s breath become labored. Arthur wouldn’t be surprised if this man was drugged or drunk. “Sir are you okay?” The man’s head tilted to view Arthur, his beady, weary eyes locked with the young man’s

“Help me. I...home. Home is not too far...” the man raised a gnarled, wrinkled hand that was decorated in veins and purple splotches. He pointed towards the group of homes packed together near the office, his finger trembling as his free hand held onto Arthur with desperation. “Please...”

“Do you need a doctor sir?” Arthur inquired as he placed an arm around the man and made sure that the man’s grip upon him was strong. “You don’t look too well.”

“Doctors won’t serve me now...home...” Arthur, while hesitant, followed the man’s direction and slowly guided him, not a single word spoken between them as the rain pounded against Arthur’s ridiculous lady bug covered umbrella. The man’s grip did grow weaker as they continued their way, Arthur’s vision nearly blinded as the rain came down mercilessly. His eyes squinted and surely enough, as they reached the first house, the man tugged at his sleeve. “Here.” Arthur’s attention was directed to a warn out home, the front door barely hanging upon its latch.

“Okay...” Arthur muttered uncertainly, leading him in and closing his umbrella on the way in. “Are you okay sir? Is there anything I can get for you? Water?” Arthur offered, but was stopped by the man with a stubborn wave of his hand.

“No my good boy. I must do something for you.” The man explained quietly, hobbling deeper into the depths of his home. Arthur bit his lip, the hairs on his neck standing straight up. He suddenly wondered if he should escape, but before he had the chance, the man returned with a box, gently tied with a blue bow. He shoved the item into Arthur’s hands, a smile on his withered, tired face. “I never thought I would find someone worthy to wield this. I think you might have a chance good boy. Can you promise me something?”

“What?” Arthur inquired, confused that this man had a gift for him prepared. His heart hammered in his chest in near fear.

“You shall not spill blood. You shall not kill and taint your soul.”

“What?” Arthur questioned again, pale “I’m not going to kill anyone sir...I don’t plan on killing anyone and find that notion to be disturbing.”

“Fucking close enough.” The man mumbled, patting Arthur’s shoulder. “Thank you my boy. And take good care. Remember the promise.”

“Okay?” Arthur scowled in thought before the man smiled sweetly, asking of him.

“Good. Now get out of my house.”

——

Arthur, still confused about the man, decided that staying at his apartment was the best decision. It took him a good twenty minutes to return home, his gift tucked safely underneath his arm. Taking the key from his pocket, he clicked his way into his home, noticing that Cyrus was not home. “Must be out still.” He mused, making his way over to the tight living corridors. He plopped onto their couch, his fingers almost instantaneously ripping the parchment from the box. Once there was a clear lid, Arthur pried it open to reveal something very odd.

A checkered masquerade mask stared at him, it’s details worn and faded. “What the hell?” He questioned as he took the mask within his hands. Faint voices began to echo within his head. Fear bubbled within his chest, but instinct told him to put on the mask

“Finally that old man decided to give it up.” A man’s voice boomed through his skull, husky and demanding.

“I don’t blame the poor dear. He was getting old...but he served us well.” A gentle woman’s voice bounced, causing the fear to travel to Arthur’s throat.

“It doesn’t matter who gets the mask at this point.” A bland voice echoed, a yawn soon following after. “Hey kid. Whatever your name is. Welcome to your void.”

“Don’t talk like that Hill! You were always so cruel to Gabriel...don’t be rude to this poor boy.” The woman pleaded.

“WHAT THE HELL?!” Arthur finally exclaimed, his fingers tracing the mask in panic.

“Ooo dear dear relax honey you are alright....oh dear oh dear...” the woman attempted to soothe, her voice as sweet as honey. “Ignore hill...listen. You’ve been chosen for a great service...to protect those who cannot protect themselves...”

“There are people in my head...there are people in my head...” Arthur whimpered and placed his head in the palms of his hands, the mask smooth against his skin.

“Trust me we aren’t happy about it either.” The first voice claimed, before stating. “You are gonna be alright though kiddo. But for the meantime, take off the mask. We don’t need you blowing up the apartment.”

“What?” Arthur choked, struggling to breathe evenly.

“Sweetie raise our your hand.” The woman asked politely, to which Arthur did so. “And now focus. Just breathe. In...and out...do you see that spark?”

“Yes.” Arthur replied, shocked to now see a red spark growing in his hand. It festered and grew, causing more panic to bubble within him.

“That’s why sweetie. Take off the mask for now. Put it back when you know you need it. Quickly sweetie. Quickly now...” Arthur did not need another demand, and swiftly removed the mask from his face and put it back into the box. The energy disappeared, as well as the voices. Arthur took five minutes to fully calm himself, but at that point, his roommate had entered the room.

“Arthur...you okay?” The young blonde man inquired as he placed himself next Arthur, staring down at the box “What’s the deal with the mask?”

“I think I’m cursed.” Arthur muttered, shoving the box onto the coffee table before retreating into their shared bathroom to scream.

• Love
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Jenny's Apartment | Interactions: Jen

600full-erasmo-viana+%252832%2529.jpg

"Olá Querido~ (Hello Dear~)," Leo greeted brightly as he entered Jen's apartment. Although he had been in the woman's residence numerous times, he couldn't suppress the joy and novelty of sharing in her company while in her home. Plus, the area truly belonged to her. Everything about its design and atmosphere made him think of his dearest friend.

It was wonderful.

In his hands were two bags of Chinese takeout, which held a total of five meals and an order of Cheese Wantons. Two of them were for him and Jen, which he held up with a sunny smile. "I brought us nourishment and, personally reserved for you, more hugs!"

Then he paused to think while looking at the load of food in his hands. "Ah! Well," he set them down in the kitchen on the island. Once those were out of the way, he threw his arms out to Jen for a proper embrace.

"Now I can give hugs, yes?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Jennifer Clemons

"Jenny? Jenny can you still hear me?" Her brother's voice boomed from the cellphone, allowing a sigh to cascade against Jennifer's lips as she finished the batter to her desert plan for Leo when he had got there, her phone still lodged between her ear and her shoulder.

"Jonah, I literally have not moved from where I am for the last ten minutes. What are you even doing?" Jonah laughed on the other end, another voice joining in, bubbling and innocent. Jennifer could identify it as her youngest brother Evan, who for being only sixteen years of age, had a surprising amount of common sense and wit.

"He's being very very quiet. Has to hunt some rabbits..."

"Oh shut up Ev." Jonah's voice boomed, followed by a hearty chuckle "We just got back from our hunt. We got quite a few good catches..."

"Bunny murderer." Jennifer teased, knowing very well that her brother's were efficient and ethical when it came to gathering their food. Evan particularly, who enjoyed to use every piece of the animal to reassure that none of it went to waste. "Honest to goodness Jonah, sometimes never change from when we were kids. You were lucky Evan, you got to be cradled and kissed when we were tiny. Jonah got to pull my hair and get us lost in the woods..."

"Okay, that only happened twice, number one, number two...You have a fair point..." Jonah puffed, but Jennifer could still detect a smile along his demeanor.

"Hey, so I am going to try something I haven't done before, do you want some batter to test?" Jennifer inquired, getting a decent amount onto a silver spoon. "I am making dessert for a friend, and I want to make sure it tastes alright..."

"Er, Jen you sure this will work out alright? Remember the last time you experimented?"

"Yeah yeah yeah Jo. Relax. Here it comes ~" Jennifer, with ease, summoned a small pocket from the area before her. Prying it open, she stuck the spoon in, watching it wither away before she inquired "Alright, you guys are by the cabin yes? Just hold on a moment..."Jennifer focused upon the idea of the cabin, imaging the desire she had when she was a little girl...A slight blossom of pain bloomed in her skull, and with a grimace she asked "T-the pocket should be right..."

"Huh, I'll be a monkey's uncle, it worked." Jonah mused, knowing very well that Abigail was pregnant with her first child, and was going to berate the poor woman with horrible nicknames until the child was in the world. "Okay...this won't chop my hand off yes?"

"Of course not. Unless I want it to, besides the pocket can only handle so much...hurry up and close it once you have it..." She muttered as the pain began to spread. "You got it?"

"Got it." Her brother replied, a sigh of relief escaping Jennifer as it began to recede. "Hmm...this is actually pretty good. What are you making?"

"Cookies and milk with a kick. Look guys I have to..." A knock interrupted her thoughts and with a brief goodbye she hung up the phone and promised her two brothers that she loved them. "I am coming ~" She cooed as she slid over to the door, pleased to see Leo there with a pack of Chinese food. "Has no one told you you are an actual angel, querido?" Jennifer chuckled, relieved that she had forced herself to learn some Portuguese in order to strengthen their communication. Although, her language was limited to hellos, goodbyes, and nicknames. No matter. It was a work in progress.

One the food was set upon her little kitchen island, Jennifer grinned, restraining herself from racing over and tackling him in a hug. Jennifer loved embraces, particularly from Leo. His embraces were comforting and strong, something that Jennifer could always look forward to at the end of the day, whether good or bad. "Alright alright, I am coming." She pretended to pant and pout before throwing her arms around him, squeezing him and smiling. "Thank you again for the food, pequena coruja." Jennifer mumbled, praying she pronounced it correctly. Leo generally never gave her problems for at least trying, so she forced herself not to worry. "Ready for another night of Jen and Leo pow wow?"

• Love
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Jenny's Apartment | Interactions: Jen

Leo matched Jen's pout playfully as she dragged her feet into the embrace. The expression had no chance of surviving upon his countenance once he wrapped his arms around her; Jen's hugs and cuddles were always his favorite experiences in the world (one would think it's the feeling of flying...but that was no longer the case once he met her), so it was hopeless pretending to dislike them.

"I'm an angel?" he chuckled while giving her a gentle squeeze, "Then you are my guardian angel, querido. No exceptions, yes?" He gave Jen one last gentle pat on the back before reluctantly leaving the hug.

Absolute pride and endearment glimmered in his eyes, an eager smile splitting his cheeks. "Your Portuguese has improved so much! I'm proud~" he said. He remembered how downright flattered he was upon realizing Jen's devotion to breaking down the communication obstacles between them; not very many people he had crossed paths with cared enough to do such a thing.

The sight of cookie batter on the kitchen counter caught Leo's eye, which prompted a curious tilt of the head. "You are baking? Ah, I should've cooked something myself!" He frowned apologetically while scratching the back of his neck. Of course, if he had an actual kitchen or stove, he would've gladly whipped something up for the occasion. Then again, he could've figured something out. He would remember to do so next time, but this time...honesty and giving was abound tonight. Cooking wasn't exactly top priority at the moment.

"You are always welcome," Leo hummed happily, "And of course I'm ready! Just, um," He faltered a moment while pointing at the second back of Chinese food, "May we take a stroll later to deliver this, yes? I have a friend and she adores the wantons." A laugh bubbled up his chest. "Her excitement for most sweets is amazing."

• Love
Jennifer Clemons

Jennifer's lips immediately pulled into a smile as he wrapped his arms around her, giving her his life saving hugs that he could administer so well. Her shoulders slumped, her body relaxing almost entirely at his comforting embrace. "Of course you are an angel, querido." She mused to him, having to stand on the tips of her toes to reach up and give his hair an affectionate ruffle. "Sweetest man on earth, and you watch over people who need it." She scoffed at his response, a chuckle rippling past her lips. "I try, my friend. Watching over you is part of my job. You have my back, and for that I have yours, anjo(angel)." Sheepishly she released him, rubbing the back of her head as he complemented her attempts at breaking their language barrier. Jennifer had to admit that Leo's english was very good, elegant even, but she figured that if he put in the effort to communicate with her, she could only return the favor.

"Heh...I am trying Leo. I am not sure how vast my vocabulary, but it does bring a learning experience, and a chance to improve our already kickass bond." She nudged her friend lightly, a smile still present along her demeanor. He never managed to fail to keep her content, an ability few could manage with Jennifer's ever busy mind. Besides, it was not a bubbly, exterior happiness that Jennifer put out, it was a genuine, peaceful joy that made her feel at ease. As if the world did not need saving for at least one day.

"Oh, I was just making some batter for either later tonight or tomorrow. I figured a good case of cookies and milk would serve us both well." She smiled then shook her head dismissively, waving her hand. "Leo do not worry about it. I simply did it because I have not baked in a while, and I know you like sweets." She bobbed her head towards the kitchen, informing him gently "You know if you want, I have a lot of ingredients as a recent gift from one of my assistant self defense instructors, sort of as a hint to make food for the rest of the faculty." She grinned, revealing a set of pearly white teeth, with a small crook at the front. She couldn't help it. Being hit one too many times on the job screwed you up ever so slightly. "I could always teach you some of the recipes my mother would make. Despite living in the middle of nowhere for half my life, her food made it all worth while."

"A stroll?" Her head tilted in curiosity, but she knew better than to question. Leo was very giving, particularly to those who needed it. She figured this friend was in need, and that a part of the Chinese food was for them. "Oh of course! I wouldn't mind the fresh air anyhow, just let me grab my things." She picked up her purse from her couch, her mask delicately tucked within. She returned briefly, brushing her hair back and holding open the apartment door "After you pequena coruja." She asked of him with a gentle bow.

• Love
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Stroll through the city | Interactions: Jen

Leo nodded in agreement. "Yes, our bond is quite kickass. I don't know how it could possibly be more kickass, but if there's a way, we can do it." He bounced on his soles jovially as he watched Jen grow sheepish from the praise. She was always so modest and easy to fluster, both aspects about her that Leo enjoyed. He didn't make her flush to tease her, he just found it to be endearing and wonderful to see; besides, his compliments are always genuine and must be expressed when he feels the need to.

Something grateful and warmer than a spring morning fluttered in Leo's chest. His smile softened. "You're always thinking of me, my querido. I appreciate you and everything you've done for me. You know this, yes?" He crossed the short distance to peer into the bowl with the curiosity of a child on a field trip before facing Jen once more. Hands clasped in front of him politely, he nuzzled into the woman's hair like an affectionate puppy. Or an owl. "And I would love to bake with you and learn of these wonderful recipes. You call me and I shall come to bake, yes?"

However, he then realized his lapse and leaned away to give her elbow room. He chuckled sheepishly as his thumbs twiddled, though that sunny smile was ever present. "Apologies, Jenny." All of his optimism returned when she immediately agreed to join him on a stroll to deliver his friend's food. That was just like his precious companion--her ability to find joy in the simple and unplanned aspects of life never ceased to please him.

"Wonderful!" Leo beamed at her as he stored their food in her fridge and grabbed the bag of extra food. He waited for her patiently and just as he was about to open the door for her, she did so. His smile widened before answering the bow with one of his own. "Thank you! Come, come!"

As he stepped out, he offered her his arm and excitedly led her out into the West Point city air. The weather was pleasant and clear, which filled Leo to the brim with content. As his eyes strayed over to Jen again, an inkling of hesitation settled upon his features. His bottom lip became entrapped between his teeth. "I'm certain my friend will love you, querido. Just...you may have questions."

His eyes shot down, finding his worn sneakers incredibly interesting. This was it. If the conversation transpired the way he dreadfully predicted, he would likely disappoint Jen. Or make her upset. Neither scenario appealed to him.

• Love
Jennifer Clemons

A grin consumed her features as Leo began to speak of further strengthening their bond, which almost allowed for amusement to spill from Jennifer. Leo had an unique way of speaking, one that could amaze Jennifer, or simply send laughter through her lips. No matter the case, his adorable little ramblings made Jenny’s chest fester with a beautiful, comforting warmth. “Oh of course I’m always thinking of you my querido, you happen to be the greatest friend I have, a wonderful day partner in stoping crime, and of course one of my top priorities.” She blinked as she felt his face buried in her hair, and her features softened as she reached up absentmindedly, brushing her fingers against his hair.

“No need to apologize anjo.” She reassured him gently as he moved to give her space. She turned to give him a bright smile, brushing a lock of her hair back as she claimed “Ill call you up whenever, and I’ll show you how to do cookies, oh, cakes are fun, so are cupcakes, tarts are pretty nice too when the berries are ripe and in season.” She paused, chewing the inside of her cheek briefly “Maple pie is also surprisingly good. When you go up to Canada they have maple shacks by the dozen that make them. Mm, mama stole a recipe a few years back and added her own secret ingredient, which only I know as of this day.” She winked at him teasingly “But I’m sure mother won’t mind if I extent the little family secret.” She sang sweetly to him, double inspecting her purse for everything she needed as she waited patiently by the door.

Wallet, check. .22 caliber pistol, in a nearby pocket of space. Trench coat? With the pistol. Her mask, neatly tucked into her purse. License? Didn’t need to worry about it. Pepper spray, got it. And last but not least, house keys and her infamous little bear keychain. “So glad you could make it.” She teased Leo as he greeted her by the door, bowing to her and taking her by the arm. Jennifer contently looped her arm with his, the walk down the apartment complex’s steps a grand beginning to the venture of the great outdoors.

At least the great city. It was nowhere near as comforting as her cabin in the woods, but for the meantime it was home. She reminded herself why she was out here, to put her powers to good use. And with Leo by her side, her job was a million times easier. “I am sure I will love your friend Leo. You associate yourself with gracious, good people my friend.” She teased him with a bump of the elbow, but her head did tilt. “I’ll try not to ask too many questions if I can help it Leo. I am sure there will be no reason to.” Still, curiosity began to blossom. She was not sure who this woman was, or why Leo seemed hesitant for Jennifer to meet her. It was no matter. Jennifer trusted Leo with her life on the battlefield, she could trust him with a simple acquaintance.

She supposed she would just need to hold her tongue if the time did come for something bizarre to happen. Again, Jennifer doubted it. She simply smiled and gave Leo’s arm a gently squeeze, patting his shoulder before continuing ahead. “Think we will have a quiet night tonight my querido? Or do you we will need to do a lot of work?” She smirked thinly. As much as she enjoyed the hero gig...

A quiet night was always a lovely night.

• Love
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen

"Yes, I do," Leo said with a bright smile, though it turned a tad teasing as he nudged Jenny. "But your company will always be my favorite, yes?" He truly was grateful for having a companion as understanding and supportive as Jen; her mere presence soothed his senses, especially while on hero duty. It was never really fear that crept up on Leo in the midst of apprehending criminals. Rather, it was the distractions, the self-doubt, and a slew of other thoughts crashing against the interior of his skull while tapping into his owl abilities.

Without Jen as an anchor, his time on Earth would be hellish. He knew it.

"Thank you, querido. I appreciate it. I know that my friend is a nice woman deep down, but..." He fought a moment to choose the right words, his gaze briefly straying up. "She is troubled and needs help. She just...gets scared with new people." Getting scared was quite the understatement, but Leo could sense the anxiety and pleas for help quivering in his friend's very being. There was something there. Something off. But he was never one to push and would support her until she's ready to explain.

"I hope for a quiet night," Leo answered with a determined nod. As much as he cared for everyone's safety in West Point city, he craved a wholesome night of cookies and cuddles with Jenny. Maybe even a Disney movie or two. Or three. But, then again, he doubted the evening would be that way; at least, not initially. He could only hope this visit wouldn't turn to any negative extremes.

Their walk lasted for another five minutes or so, filled with pleasant chatter and achingly honest compliments tossed Jen's way. Leo couldn't help it. He always found something wonderful and captivating about her everyday, and was eager to inform her about it each time. However, he became somewhat less talkative as their destination came into view.

An abandoned train station.

The area was eerily quiet and rundown, located further away from the bustling activities of the inner city. Aside from Leo and his querido, not another soul could be seen. "This is it," Leo whispered, his eyes vigilant and roaming their surroundings for a particular face.

Image of abandoned station:
img_7420.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Jennifer Clemons

"I certainly hope that with be the case anjo." Jennifer teased in return, briefly leaning her head on his shoulder so she could reach up to poke his temple with her pointer finger. Jennifer enjoyed having a friend as laid back as Leo, who would put up with her poking and cuddles, her teasing and her constant need for banter. Jennifer needed to keep her mind constantly busy, within and outside the battlefield. She worked and functioned efficiently with a busy, content mind and a partner to calm her nerves. Leo could accomplish both tasks, making him someone she could count on no matter the circumstance. A bad day on the night job? Leo could get her home. Jennifer didn't get enough sleep to function properly during the day? Leo would insist on a few healthy minutes of sleep. She could rely on him, which made her independence shift into a mutual partnership. It was not dependence, no, that would be unhealthy for the both of them. It was an efficient bond and business relationship, the two easily able to trust each other with their lives and happiness. Leo had her back. In return, she had his.

"That is understandable Leo. I will not judge your friend on her fear of new people." Jennifer did swallow. She had learned to be patient, particularly when it came to her students, whether it be at the middle school or in the dojo. Sometimes a child could not assess and handle a situation properly, leading to stress, irritability, social distress. Sometimes a woman or a man became overwhelmed with panic as Jennifer locked her arms into place, informing them how to free themselves with ease. It took a gentle and patient touch. Adjust. Learn. Adapt. Jennifer just needed to understand the woman's personality, adapt her persona to fit comfortably with the woman, and she would be on her way. "I understand, some people may be scary. I told you I was partially intimidated when I met you, yes? Not because you were frightening, but because I felt so small compared to you." Jennifer cleared her throat sheepishly. She was used to others towering over her, or beneath her, but something about Leo radiated off of him. Something that made her understand her size, her strength. It was not necessarily a bad thing, in fact, it brought a healthy glow to her cheeks when she thought about the feelings he administered into her, festering pleasantly into her stomach and rising into her chest in a fury of heat and excitement. To this day still, his embraces, his gentle compliments, even the features upon his countenance would drive Jennifer under, content and excitement bubbling within her. Genuine joy from something so simple as contact with a friend.

"I hope for one too, querido. We can watch Moana, or Enchanted. Oh, that would be fun...maybe stay up until midnight eating cookies and singing our hearts raw." Jennifer chuckled softly at the thought, having enjoyed quiet nights with leo before. They tended to occur after a hard night of work, when Jennifer could not sleep and need to wind her restless mind down. Disney movies were her perfect cure, and there was nothing quite like the embrace of her friend as she fell asleep to the sound of a duet. It was the little things Jennifer enjoyed about their friendship, particularly the mutual affection. Their respect towards each other, specifically when he pointed out details about her that set her cheeks aflame.

There he goes again... Oh he must really learn not to make me blush so...I think he likes seeing me flustered. But his honesty is there...should I say something kind to him in return? I never truly know what to say in times like this.

"Thank you anjo. You never cease to amaze me with your words." She chuckled softly, pulling gently at her collar as she fanned herself with the same hand. "Hmm?" She questioned as her eyes beheld the abandoned train station, her brows furrowing curiously. "The poor dear lives around her?" She questioned, wonder how anyone could attempt to live such a life. It was hard enough to have a home with little space or focus on a dangerous job, but living without a proper roof? It made Jennifer frown. "Oh dear. Are you sure she is here querido? It seems fairly quiet here now..." She kept her eyes wide open, peering from left to right for any sign of this friend. She doubted that the friend could mean any harm, but natural instincts blossomed within her. She swallowed it back before gently calling out

"Hello?"

Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen

Leo smiled in response, though it was dipped in a thin coat of bittersweet sympathy. "Yes, she lives here. I found her here some weeks ago." His lips pinched. "No, she found me. I was sleeping, then she woke me. The poor one was hungry and I wanted to help." It was rather a shock--their first meeting. Leo had wanted to unwind in an area unpopulated and quiet, yet close to his querido's apartment in case she needed him for anything. But then...then she arrived. Desperate. Confused. So near yet far away.

Leo had to help.

"It is quiet because she does not speak much," Leo said, his steps slow and careful as he guided Jen towards the station. The overhanging beams were clogged with cobwebs and debris, the foundation rusted yet stern from decades of oxidation. The silence would've weighed down on Leo's chest if he hadn't been so used to it.

"Hello?" Jen called out, which prompted Leo to give her arm a gentle squeeze and shake his head.

"She will not come out to a voice she doesn't know. We must find her. But she is always here. I promise." Giving his querido a supportive pat on the arm, he loosened his hold to point at the eastern staircase. "See?" Upon closer inspection, one could see a series of dents bending each step, starting halfway and leading all the way up to the second floor.

"Those are new since yesterday. She made them, I'm certain." A tinge of concern infected his features; those dents were never a good sign. She was likely in an agitated mood, but he didn't want her to starve. He turned to Jen with an innocent look. "We go up, yes?"

Last edited:
Jennifer Clemons

“You were sleeping out here?” She inquired to him gently, her chest tightening in worry for her friend. She was not aware that he had resorted to sleeping in an area such as this, nor was she aware that he appeared to have no where else to do so. Why didn’t he just come to her and ask to stay? She had let him rest at her area quite a few times after a night shift gone wrong, whether he was too exhausted to move very far, or she was horrified of sleeping alone for the night. How could he not inform her of his predicament? She would have reached out to assist him immediately, expecting nothing but his affection, loyalty and protection in this case of trouble. She swallowed her worry down her throat, solutions to this problem immediately slashing across her skull. Invite him to stay. The apartment wasn’t incredibly large, but if there was one thing Jennifer could do was adapt to a difficult surrounding.

Silence overtook her in her shock, her mind barely able to process his words. However his squeeze upon her arm had driven her out of her state of surprise and sorrow for her friend. “My apologies querido.” She mumbled softly, nodding slowly as she scolded herself for not being as socially aware. People scare her. Yelling out a greeting was not a particularly spectacular way of connecting with a woman such as Leo’s friend.

Following his friends direction, Jennifer was surprised to see dents along the staircase. Her heart hammered in her chest. What could have possibly created such a thing? His friend must have been like the two of them, containing a sort of ability that would have made this incredible sight before her. She forced her fear down her throat and nodded slowly, loosening her grip upon him as well. Tranquility and confidence was the best way to face this woman, for Jennifer was truly not yet aware of what was ahead of them.

“Yes anjo. Up we go” Jennifer claimed lightly, squeezing his arm gently as she forced one foot up, making her way up the stairs quietly and with extreme caution. She did not wish to scare the poor dear.

Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen & Leo's friend

"No apologies, querido," Leo reassured while nuzzling her head again. He was hypersensitive of her emotion shift in mood and it dimmed his own to see her flame flicker in the slightest bit. No observation was minor in his eyes when it came to her--never.

However, he couldn't mask the slight frown marring his features as she caught on to his living situation. Goodness, now he knew for sure that she would approach him about it later; he would be ready to accept her gentle scolding with an open heart and deception-free filter. It personally relieved him as much as it filled him with dread; no longer did he have to hide this fact from her, though his intentions were never malicious to begin with.

In the end, his decision to keep quiet was foolish. He knew that now.

"When we find her, be sure not to look her in the eyes," Leo whispered as they scaled the steps, his gentle hold on her arm guiding her around the dents. It would be a nasty fall if her balance slipped. "Eye contact makes her...jumpy," he finished, a certain memory jumping to the forefront of his mind.

He personally loved eye contact. If he could, he would just stare deeply into his querido's eyes, admiring and worshiping the precious soul peering forest green windows. But she always grew flustered and the stare never lasted for long. His friend, on the other hand, did not appreciate locking eyes. Her chin would dip and duck away, focusing shakily on something else before shifting around in a subdued frenzy. It was heartbreaking to watch, but Leo had learned from that experience and vowed to never make her so uncomfortable again.

As they reached the second floor, Leo paused to add as a fleeting thought, "Also, do not ask of her name. I only call her friend. She will become upset if you ask." Another lesson learned the hard way, in the form of an angry bruise on his abdomen. Of course, he had take the blow willingly and apologized immediately after. His friend hadn't replied, but he had sensed the remorse rolling off of her. Water under the bridge, one bucket of many.

The second floor was as desolate as the open space below. A hallway ran down both sides, in which the left lead into another network of grimy corridors and ticket booths. However, Leo turned right and traversed the space on cautious, nimble feet. His hold on the Chinese takeout tightened, reminding himself that yes, he did, indeed, get everything that she likes. And a lot of it. Just enough to hold her for the rest of the night.

"Oh," Leo placed a hand on Jen's shoulder, signaling her to stop, and gestured forward. A few yards ahead was a dead end, a single door on the left wall and a row of windows on the right. However, what stood out was the lonely, curled up figure sitting on the floor, back against the concrete surface as she rocked ever so slightly. Her nails had a vice grip on her head, digging deeply into her blonde mane until they threatened to pierce her scalp. Incomprehensible mutters and whispers spilled out of her like a broken faucet.

Just as Leo predicted. His friend was having a low day.

Carefully, ever so attentive of her every move, Leo approached until a foot or so remained between them and knelt down to present her food. "Good day, friend," he chimed softly while pushing the bag closer. "I have come with food and, even better, my dear querido. Remember? I speak about her very much to you, yes?"

Instead of getting a reaction, the blonde woman continued to rock back and forth. Her mumbling didn't cease.

Last edited:
  • Love
Jennifer Clemons

Leo's affection brought to her returned her to her senses, her worries and curiosities about the woman flooded away. No judgments or thoughts, it was the best way to enter this situation blind and not set her off. Assume nothing, something that Jennifer had a horrid time with handling. She liked to know a target inside and out before interacting, something she had adjusted to in her military life style. In fact, it came before that period of her life, when her father claimed that she would need to be aware of all her surroundings. The people around her, their possibilities for weapons, their intent towards her. Jennifer never assumed, when her impulses were high and growth delayed by teenage experimentation, that someone would purposely target her or pose a threat. This became horribly clear as she grew older, joined the service, turned to vigilante work. There were more people who loved her than she thought, that was true, and that is how she maintained trust and open faith towards a first interaction. But she also realized that there were more people who wished to harm her, or other's similar to her. Hesitation was common, even with her social exterior. A hello was always meant well, but Jennifer always recalled which pocket space carried her .22. Which pocket space had her pocket knife, which trench coat pocket had her cell phone or mace. She knew her surroundings, but she knew her solutions. She needed to be in control, but in this moment of trust and perhaps even blind faith, she forced herself not to look into possibilities of this woman's apparent suffering. She forced herself not to look into the probable powers that would have caused the damage upon the stairs.

Instead her mind wandered back to Leo, blind shock still settling within her. She never pictured Leo as the homeless type, he appeared so well kept and was even able to bring food to her apartment. She envisioned perhaps a small apartment not too unlike hers, and yet...pieces began to ensemble, knowing that her blind trust within her friend prohibited her from making small connections about certain details. She gained trust within him because he proved himself worthy of that trust, of that affection, of that care and sweetness that was bestowed. But details were missed once she fell into that faith. His homelessness, his broken friend. Details that could have been pieced together if Jennifer forced herself to pay attention. In the words of her favorite show

Fuck Politeness. She supposed she should have dug a little further, and perhaps dig into his friend. The friend would give no name to him, was horrified of people and refused to make eye contact. First thing that came to Jennifer's mind was the thousand yard stare. She would see that all the time in soldiers who returned from overseas, the soldiers who nearly didn't make it. The soldiers who found that taking a life was worse than losing their own. Her own squad member, Marcus Carver, who lost the light in his eyes after training. He didn't even make it to the battlefield, and yet from what she recalled, he recovered. He functioned. He managed. The light was flickering, but...it was never to turn back on. This thousand yard stare, it was very possible it wracked this woman.

Jennifer found that she suddenly understood how to handle her. Be submissive, gentle. Speak only when spoken to. Don't ask questions. What Marcus Carver needed in this time of hopelessness, was a gentle hand beside him. Jennifer recalled sitting next to him for hours, silently, slowly managing the courage to press her hand on top of his. Waiting for him to say something. Anything. A hello. A how are you doing.

Jennifer was once again knocked out of her thoughts by his touch against her shoulder, and as she squinted her eyes she could get a better look at the figure he was directing at.

Ah Christ. Definitely the one thousand yard stare. Poor girl must have had something happen to her to cause this...I'd rather not think what. She waited for Leo to go ahead, inspecting him as he kneeled and offered the trembling woman food. She slowly made her way behind Leo, deciding to kneel at a farther distance. "Hello." She greeted gently, putting a smile upon her face with a soft grace. "It's nice to meet you, Leo has said some very nice things about you." She commented, praying it would be enough to ease the girl a little bit. But then she recalled. Stay quiet. Wait for them. Don't move too quickly. Don't look at her in the eye or ask her questions. She could stay where she was, and she folded her hands politely in her lap. Sympathy spread through her like an illness, clenching her throat and sickening her heart with worry.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Leonardo "Leo" Delgado Miranda | Location: Abandoned Train Station | Interactions: Jen & Leo's friend

Through the fog of chaos swelling her cranium to is limits, the woman had picked up on the familiar voice sooner than Jen's actual presence. She rocking slowed, her shaky vision daring to lock onto the the woman before her, as her nails reluctantly retracted itself from their blonde prison. Leo's friend did not speak; the mumbling had ceased, a thick silence settling over her like a blanket of suffocation. The distrust was painfully clear in her sky blue eyes.

Leo watched with a serene and patient smile, though the tightness of his jaw betrayed the anxiety fluttering deep in the pit of his gut. His friend's gaze flickered back and forth between Jen and the food. Slowly, she leaned forward to stretch an arm out, hand shaking horribly with nerves. She stopped inches away from the takeout. Glanced at Leo, who smiled encouragingly, and took that as her cue.

Like a rabid fox, she snatched the bag and quickly scurried back to her original spot. Without pausing to breathe, she ripped a case open and started digging in with the grace of a neanderthal. She hadn't started using a fork until twenty seconds into eating, apparently having a shred of awareness left to recall the plastic utensil. As she ate, she glared blandly at Jen every few seconds, scanning her like a vulnerable predator.

On the other hand, Leo's shoulders relaxed. Good--the food worked well to distract her from what her thoughts. Temporarily, at least. "I made sure to get your favorites, friend," he said. "You still have the adoration for Cheese Wantons, yes?"

As an answer, the woman proceeded to munch on the wantons with her bare hands, dipping them in the sweet and sour sauce impatiently. Strings of the red liquid stained her already grimy clothes, in which the collar of her coat revealed a suspiciously light blue cloth underneath. A hospital gown.

Leo allowed the awkward atmosphere to linger for a moment or so, his hands clasped patiently in his lap, before starting gently, "Do you wish to talk about the thoughts today, friend?"

This question seemed to force more clarity into her demeanor. Her head snapped up, frozen mid-bite as crumbs of wanton peppered her face and grains of shrimp fried rice littered the ground around her. Reluctantly, inhumanly slowly, she lowered the box and shifted uncomfortably while glancing at Jen again. She obviously wasn't too keen about opening up around her and the sudden cringe crossing her dirty features spoke volumes. She smacked her temple aggressively, over and over, and creating an unpleasant slapping sound. A whimper simmered on the back of her tongue.

• Sympathy & Compassion