PROJECT CHARACTERS COMBAT WORLDBUILDING WRITING MAGIC TECHNOLOGY The Ultimate Roleplay Perk Repository

Would you like to know more about Roleplay Perks?

• Yes! I have all the ideas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't care about adding perks to my Roleplays

• I am undecided

• Total voters

Absyinthe_Artica

Creator of Worlds
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Online Availability
Everyday
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Sc-fi, Horror, Steampunk, anything really

The Ultimate Roleplay Perk Repository

A PROJECT FOR ALL

Over the years of being a GM, I have put what I'd like to call "Roleplay Perks" in my games. Some of you may name these extras something different, but for the sake of the project, we will call them as such. My goal in posting this is to make a sort of repository of various mechanics and ideas that would be considered perks to a normal roleplay. I think it would be awesome if more GMs had the knowledge and help to add these to whatever group or even one x one they desire.

There will be individual guides for each perk that break them down in detail. This initial thread is for brainstorming ideas and specific mechanics for each possible roleplay perk in bulk. This project is my effort to help Game Master's across the site with the nitty-gritty of crafting roleplays. If you want to add a perk to our list, there is an optional form you can fill out. Thank you for reading!

PERK GUIDE NAVIGATION

This list will denote what roleplay perks we are brainstorming, and as soon as we have enough information to make the official guide, I will post a separate thread with it to be linked here. The list is endless; the more ideas for other Game Master's, the better!
  • Leveling and Experience Systems - Open
  • Character Classifications -Current
  • Rank Systems
  • Skills, Abilities, and Power Perks
  • The Hidden Object System
  • Theme Specific Perks

HELPFUL FORMS

Idea Form

A form for original ideas to be submitted to the list:

Roleplay Perk Name: [What would you name this idea?]
Basic Concept: [A Brief Description of Concept]
Difficulty: [How Difficult is the Idea to Execute?]
Extra Information: [Anything extra]

Question Form

More of helpful questions than a form itself:

How does this perk work?
What are the required steps to execute this perk?
What is the benefit from using this perk in my game?
What is the easiest way to keep track of this perk?

Contribution Form

A form for contrubting to the list of already made ideas:

Roleplay Perk: [Perk Name From List]
Contribution Ideas: [Brief Description of contribution]

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kuno

The Ultimate Roleplay Perk Repository

LEVELING AND EXPERIENCE SYSTEMS INTRODUCTION

Similar to a leveling system you would see in a video game, this perk is a way to measure a player character's achievements in your game. By accomplishing actions that further your narrative, the character gains points towards the next level. Each level grants the PC different things depending on your game itself. This addition to the URPR will break down how to add a Leveling System to your game in four different categories; Game Master Difficulty, Leveling Up, Tracking Progress, and System Rewards. Additional questions to discuss are at the bottom.

GAME MASTER DIFFICULTY

The Game Master Difficulty of this perk is determined by how many levels you want your players to achieve in the long run. The more levels you wish to have, the more difficult it can be to manage and maintain the roleplay. For the sake of this guide, we will make five difficulty ranks as examples.

Difficulty Rank #1:

Level Cap 10-25

The first difficulty rank has a level cap of ten to twenty-five. I would consider this rank the simplest to execute. Your game's leveling system is a minor part of the game, and the scale of the abilities and rewards is to a lesser degree.

Difficulty Rank #2:

Level Cap 30-45

The second difficulty rank has a level cap of thirty to forty-five. The difficulty is increased by NPC difficulty. This perk gives your players a minor challenge in leveling up as they have more tasks to overcome. The rewards are slightly better than rank one.

Difficulty Rank #3:

Level Cap 50-65

The third difficulty rank has a level cap of fifty to sixty-five. This rank is in the middle range in Game Master Difficulty. For a game with a dedicated plot, the third rank is perfect. The NPCs are at medium difficulty, and the tasks the player needs to accomplish to level up are more involved. The rewards are mid-grade and flow with the plot theme.

Difficulty Rank #4:

Level Cap 70-85

The fourth difficulty rank has a level cap of seventy to eighty-five. This category is one step above the last. A good portion of the plot mingles with this perk. The NPCs take much effort from the group as a whole to kill. Each level up can take more work from the group. The rewards are excellent and benefit the higher levels.

Difficulty Rank #5:

Level Cap 90-100

The fifth difficulty rank has a level cap of ninety to a hundred. This rank would be the hardest for a Game Master to accomplish; however, with dedication and determination, this is possible. The NPCs are very difficult to take down, and it is wise to add extra perks to enhance how the character plays in the game. This rank is for long-term roleplays.

HOW TO LEVEL UP?

There are many ways to have your Player Characters level up. It is ultimately up to your imagination and idea of the plot with how you make them level up in the IC. However, I can give examples of what they can do to gain a level.

Actions to Roleplay

• Successfully negotiating with an NPC to accomplish something.
  • Furthering the plot in some way.
  • Successfully winning a battle.
  • Accomplishing a goal for their extra perk.
  • Interacting with another character in a meaningful way.

TRACKING PLAYER PROGRESS

Depending on how you like to organize your notes for your games, Tracking the Progress of player's levels can be different for everyone. If you want to track it yourself, you can make a document with a list of relevant actions for when a player does something to level up. You can use BBcode on Iwaku to create character profiles to follow the player's progress throughout the game. If you are doing a simple system, you could ask your players to maintain their level tally while you divvy up the rewards when needed. Overall, keeping track of the levels shouldn't become a burden.

SYSTEM REWARDS

I would say the best part of this system is the rewards given for leveling up. The possibilities are endless and entirely depend on the plot you have to be relevant in your game. Higher-level caps will require better rewards when leveling up. Here is a list of ideas for rewards:

Ideas for Rewards

• Special Items for the Character
  • New Abilities
  • Currency
  • Skill Points
  • Ranks

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

Here are some important questions for you to think about:

Difficulty Rank Questions

• How much effort do I want to put into this roleplay?
  • Does this plot require a higher level system?

Leveling Up Questions

• What will it take for characters to level up?
  • How hard do I want it to be to level up?
  • How can I work my plot into the leveling up requirements?
  • How should I keep track of the levels?

Reward Questions

• Should I have extra perks to add as rewards?
  • What rewards make sense with the plot?
  • How should I give out the rewards in the IC?

Questions For You

• What do you think of the Leveling Systems Perk?
  • What Difficulty Rank would you try the most?
  • Do you have a plot that benefits from this system?
  • What would be your favorite reward to receive if you were the character?

Thanks for reading!

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kuno