The Ultimate Marvel Roleplaying Universe (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I think we can work that out," Rogers replied. "You have my word."

With Laura on board and the rest of the superheroes gathering, the SHIELD Director allowed himself to feel more confident about the battle ahead.

"Let's move out."

• Thank You
Reactions: Ravenbelle
Janet watched the whole thing unfold. It was rather ridiculous, and her opinion of Iron Man plummeted when he threatened the injured woman for no reason. This whole team idea was a horrible one. Further, they were wasting time arguing like little kids and Cap's acquiescence made no sense to Jan. Just because this girl had blades that came from her hands and seemed to heal and an accelerated pace didn't mean they needed her. The icing on the cake was when Cap decided that the two people who least wanted to be a part of the group should go ahead and recon the sewer.

She thought about leaving the group, right then and there. She could have already started scouting the sewer by now, and likely found the S7 without being detected herself. Who else was small enough to hide in a crack in the cement? The whole thing was utterly ridiculous. They had a military aircraft overhead, for crying out loud. Someone was going to get hurt, and likely killed. She doubted the jet had nonlethal armament, and judging by The Punisher's history and the newest girl's demeanor, Janet guessed that neither actually knew how to hold back. She had to wonder what Cap was thinking or if Steve was even the man she thought she knew.

Instead of second guessing the S.H.I.E.L.D. director, Janet flew over to him and decided to try and talk with him. "You sure sending those two ahead is the smartest thing? The girl is barely recovering from her wounds. She obviously tangled with the Sinister Seven before and didn't fare too well. She's also obviously a hothead and still steaming from the beating. The Punisher, on the other hand, is more likely to start the fight on his own than wait for us, or even report back to us," well that wasn't exactly talking. Jan always did have a temper.

[fieldbox=X-23, red, solid]
Without the fuss Laura might have expected, Director Steve Rogers of SHIELD gave her his word on the information she wanted. She narrowed her eyes and took a moment to study his blue pair. He seemed sincere and his heartbeat didn't drastically change pace. Her dark eyes studied the others then, watching them all closely, one by one. She still despised Iron Man, whom she glared at. Castle had a strange aura about him, as if she should be suspicious but she did not know why. The rest though, she would keep aware of at all times. She still didn't know some of their names, but she figured it didn't matter either way. This would be a temporary thing anyway. She's doing it for Peter before she has to leave New York. She's doing this to track down Wolverine and train herself with self-control on her way to him. That. is. all.

So she nodded to both of Rogers' statements and retracted all of her claws. If she needed to inflict damage, she could do so with or without them. Laura swiftly dashed behind the crates and put her backpack on her shoulder. Just as she started for the door past Rogers, the bug girl came buzzing up beside him and decided to add her two cents. As reasonable as she sounded, X-23 was certainly not pleased to hear her opinion of 'the girl' who was standing two feet away and if she was going to get her information, she had to do this and she wasn't going to back down now.
So Laura huffed and stepped forward, glaring directly at the 8-inch nuisance. "Excuse me, but who are you and what do you know about me? I believe it's certainly not enough to be calling any names. Rogers and I have a deal now." She crossed her arms and huffed before turning her back on the group and heading out from where they'd come in. "So are you coming or not?" She called over her shoulder and took a deep breath at the entrance of the warehouse where she'd crawled in not too long ago. It was definitely dark out now and she wondered which members of this ragtag group could see as well as she could in the low lighting. She knew exactly where the Seven had gone. Now all she's waiting for is the footsteps behind her.
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Reactions: Seeking Calliope
Janet turned her attention toward Laura. Her tiny shoulders moved up in a shrug, "Janet van Dynne, and I don't know anything about you, except for what you've shown us in the last five minutes. Which admittedly has been quite a lot."

She glanced at Steve and gave him an apologetic look before flying after Laura. If the girl wanted to prove she wasn't a hothead, there was still ample time to do so.

Castle didn't bother interjecting during the exchange. She was right about him, and he knew it. If it was any other group, Frank would undoubtedly just try to kill the Seven when they found them. He couldn't hurt half of them, though, so he knew it was suicide. He crossed his arms as Laura continued to argue, before she walked away and called out to them. He grunted and jogged to catch up.

It was way too dark now. He ran to his van and grabbed a pair of night vision goggles. The van was on its last legs; he doubted it would start again. So he sighed and grabbed the rest of his standard arms, as well as a couple incendiary grenades and a few extra clips of ammunition before coming back out.

As they walked, he thought about the situation they were getting into. The more he did, the less appealing he sounded. He looked around at the group. Their hostility was poorly hidden, if they tried to hide it at all. He called out to Janet. "Dynne. You can shrink. Come with us, in case the Seven catch us. You can get out and take the information we get to Cap."

Without waiting for a response, Frank resumed walking away in his usual veil of silence. The goggles made him look slightly ridiculous, but he didn't care. He kept glancing at Laura's injuries with a deepening frown, though, and every now and then, his grip on the M16 in his hands would tighten in anger. Frank's mind eventually began to wander, though. He wondered how much these people knew about him. The Captain in particular. Did they know how he got started on this crusade? How he fought? What his usual tactics were? He knew very little about them. This only increased his reservations about working with them.

I apologize in advance, but this post might interfere with some of the more recent ones. Sorry, but we should probably move onto the next arc, so I'm gonna do a thing.

Spider-Man listened intently, watching as all of the supers spoke about their plan. There was going to be a scouting mission? Good luck. Even with Electro's energy signature, it was going to be hard securing any kind of capture while the group was still together.

Just as the thought crossed his mind, the tingly-feeling from earlier came back. Was that his Spider-Sense? Why was it going off right now? It told him to jump to the left, which he quickly did. Diving into a roll, Spider-Man narrowly avoided a powerful blast of water firing up from the sewer grate beneath him. Looking at the group as the water continued to blast upwards, Spidey shrugged and said "Well, I guess we know where the Synthetics are." The water continued to pour out at rapid speeds, flooding the streets of NYC. Other sewer grates did the same, bursting open and launching powerful jets of liquid into the streets of New York. Before anyone could say something in response to the sudden flood, Spider-Man had leapt off the ground and clung to the warehouse again, quickly pulling out his cellphone to find out what was going on. Exactly as he found the Bugle's TV Channel, he saw the headline: SYNTHETIC SEVEN ATTACKS NEW YORK! CITY UNDER SIEGE!

Immediately his eyes glued to the screen, watching intently as the images of carnage and mayhem came into view. The camera men who were filming obviously didn't have time for a steady grip, because the screen was shaking more then a Michael Bay movie. But, Spidey could clearly make out the gigantic sand-golem that Sandman had apparently transformed into, along with the ball-chain wielding Absorbing Man. Then, the moved changed to show a monstrous liquid man flooding the streets with water from the sewers. Obviously Hydro-Man, who was seemingly working with Spot to transport the water further. The cameras moved one more time, revealing a massive creature made up of bees, charging at the cameraman. As the insects took over the screen, the feed broke, forcing the signal to go back to the station. Peter nearly tossed the phone away in frustration, but remembered just how much it had cost him. Instead, he slipped it back into his belt and looked around for a sign. Where were the Synthetics attacking, and why? This made no sense. They were much smarter then to just indulge in mindless chaos. "Well, the good news is we know where the Synthetics are. The bad news is, we don't exactly-" began Spider-Man, stopping himself short as he saw a massive spike of electricity shoot up into the sky, coming from the Empire State Building. "Never mind then, there is no bad news. Well, actually there is. We have to fight against seven super-power infused maniacs that all of us, except for me and "Shoots Mc. Bang Bang "over there (Frank), haven't had much, let alone any, experience with. I'm sure SHIELD can figure out most of the important stuff, but the key to beating these guys is to either separate them, or use their own powers against one another. If anyone in that team is, and I just this term lightly, stupid enough to hit the other, then its Hydro-Man. If they got hit with a blast of water, Swarm and Thousand would lose a few units, Electro would short-circuit, and Sandman would melt into a muddy-creature. The only ones who wouldn't be affected too much are Spot and Absorbing Man, for obvious reasons."

Looking over the group as he finished speaking, Spidey nodded his head and clapped his hands together. "Alright, so did we want to have a plan, or just jump right into this? I'm game for either, but whatever we do we should do it quickly."

The infamous Iron-Ass remained surprisingly quiet through all of the discussion. Honestly, he was slowly losing interest. They'd missed out on watching some teenager getting her ass kicked, which, was rather disappointing to him. In his mind, she may as well have earned it; she'd done something stupid. You never go into a fight not knowing what you're up against; everyone knew that. Which was precisely why Tony had done something he had a feeling a certain super-soldier may not be too happy about; he'd hacked into what S.H.I.E.L.D files on the seven he could find. Honestly, he didn't dig up too much more than what Spidey could tell them, which, was at least a start. But for Stark, with his false identity, he preferred a info map that allowed him to learn his enemies inside and out. That way, he could neutralize them quietly. After all... It wouldn't do him any good to have the public in-the-know about the occasional heroic tasks he performed.

But right now, that was the least of the billionaire's worries; they evidently had bigger things to worry about, based on the water shooting from the sewer grate. He watched the development nonchalantly, rolling his eyes invisibly at Spider-Man's comment. "Ya don't say? Well, glad to see Captain Obvious has our backs," he mused, sarcastically. However, he heard his 'teammate'- no... Tony didn't work with teams. He had no teammates -out. Luckily for him, the given info was at least somewhat useful. His blasters were warmed up; ready for takeoff, whenever the word was given. "Right.. Well if someone has a plan, I suggest they say it now. If not, then I suggest we get off our asses and go fuck shit up. Objections, anyone?" He looked around at the rest of the rag-tag team. "...Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?" Ha, ha. Gotta love a good movie reference. I'm too funny.

Jan smiled to herself. It was about time someone realized her potential. She flew quietly behind The Punisher as she followed him to the sewer entrance.

The explosion which occurred next made her believe that they were under attack. She weaved to the left and flew upward until she was forced to dodge a water droplet that was as large as she was. She darted right and then dodged a dozen more before she gained enough altitude to be above the arc of the geyser.

She opened a channel on her comm, "Cap, what's happening?" she asked as she continued to climb. She soon saw the geysers which were erupting from every sewer opening within viewing range.

"Oh god, it stinks!" she commented to herself.

As she pirouetted in the air, her gaze fell upon Frank and the girl. Since they were the closest teammates in the area she grew a couple feet and yelled down at the pair. "So, what now?"

Frank was startled by the explosion, to say the least. His surprised look turned into, or rather returned to, a scowl when he saw the water flying up everywhere.

At first, he had no earthly idea what was going on. He buried his nose in the crook of his arm and coughed. His eyes watered a bit. Starting to check his gear, Frank knew he'd have to lose some things to gain mobility. The most obvious choice was the flamethrower. The only option that let him keep it required the others to keep him from getting outflanked.

Now came the hard decision. He had retrieved the flamethrower back at Oscorp. It had an effective range that might keep him safe from Thousand and Swarm if they didn't surround him. They would do that quite easily if Dynne and Laura didn't help.

Then he realized he was working with two inexperienced children. How would they stay safe? He was beginning to have doubts about his plan when he thought about all of the people that could be hurt. His expression darkened further. Upon hearing Dynne's question, he began to form a plan. "I can k-... Take out Thousand and Swarm. I need you two to keep them from surrounding us and to chase off any other threats until they are neutralized." If he got the chance, Thousand and Swarm were going to die. "Can you two handle that?"

• Thank You
[fieldbox=X-23, red, solid] As soon as X-23 started off down the street with her backpack over her shoulder, she heard a pair of bug wings and footsteps following, so she didn't look back. It didn't take long to pick up a scent and follow it towards where the Synthetic had set off. But she hadn't really started tracking before a huge geyser came flying out a few inches behind where she'd lasts stepped, Frank ended up right beside her when she gasped and pitched forward into an swift dive roll. She crouched beside the guy with the large weapons and let her eyes dart about accounting for everyone on this weird mish mash group of strangers that called themselves a team. That is, before the smell hit her. To her sensitive nose, the smell hit her as if it was a solid object, knocking her from a crouch to her rear end, covering her nose with her elbow and coughing a few times.

Laura quickly righted herself however, scrambling up to stand a few feet further back behind Frank. Only then could she pay attention to Peter-Spider-Man. and she did so with rapt attention, making sure to gather and process every bit of information he gave her from where he crouched on the side of a building. Laura bit her lip, wondering if she should really go through with this. as much as she wanted to keep Peter safe and get information on Wolverine, this was happening so quickly that she was unsure of how it would work out. She wasn't doubting herself when it came to combat, but she hasn't had experience protecting people. She only ever had to take out the bad guys, usually in a very bloody way, and make sure she could get back to the lab to heal. The only time she had to worry about someone else was when she had to save her aunt from vengeful cronies from the lab. And even then, all she had to do was keep her away from the action. With Peter, it would be very different. He would be putting himself into a very dangerous situation and if she knew him at all, he would be looking for the most dangerous. Laura sighed right before the Tin Man spoke up again. She glared at him. Everyone seems so set to go. Not that she wasn't though. She just has to get herself back into her old calculating warrior mindset. Her earlier fight with the Seven had helped with that. At the least, she knew that they were all very cocky and Electro is acting as ringleader for the freaks.

Who's Bueller? Did she miss a name or mix them up?

Janet looked to Stars and Stripes for a plan and Laura looked to Frank when he addressed her. He seemed the most experienced with death and she was fine with that. She can deal with morbid and macabre. If she could relate to anyone at first impression, it was this guy. She kind of wanted to ask for a weapon because she knew exactly how to work every single one he had on him, but she isn't the type to ask strangers for anything. She does things on her own. So, when he suggested she help him, X-23 was unsure of how to respond. Keeping away a few groups of insects seemed a bit menial for her, but she supposed since she was immune to their sting or bite, she would be useful. Is it that he was underestimating her? She narrowed her eyes.
"If I couldn't I wouldn't be here. We'll see what happens when we finally get away from this stink and face them."

She didn't talk to the whole team. In fact, she was tempted to walk away and get a head start there, but....Peter. If she could stay close to him throughout the battle, that would be ideal. She just has to find a place for her precious backpack and make sure not to give into the rage that tends to take hold when she's in combat.
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BarrenThin
Peter tilted his head when everybody seemed to respond to the disgusting smell of sewer water. What was so bad about it? It didn't smell so terrible, did it? But then again, these guys didn't have a slew of villains who spent most of their time hiding in the sewers, especially the Cross Species ones. Quickly jumping down from the building, Peter waved a hand and pointed to the city. "We can figure out a detailed plan later, but we need to get there now. I'm going after Electro, no doubt about that. You guys follow me and cover Times Square. I'm sure the Synthetics will notice me when I swing past, so you guys need to set up a trap. Box them in, and I'll stall them until you get there. I'll level the details up to you, but I'm heading over there now." explained the web-head rather quickly before he gave them a wave. "Try to hurry, though. I really don't feel like dying today." Running down the boardwalk with a quickening speed, Peter jumped into the air and fired off a web, swinging himself towards Times Square.

~~ GM Event ~~

spidey_times_square.gif

The entire city was going to hell. It was absolute pandemonium in Times Square, forcing people to flee the scene in sheer terror as the Synthetic Seven unleashed their fury upon New York. Hydro-Man was almost everywhere, having absorbed enough water to transform himself into a giant (thanks to the sewer system), but he left a wide area around Sandman clear of anything so his accomplice didn't fall apart and melt away into mud. Sandman, much like his aquatic counterpart, had absorbed enough material and was currently a gigantic sand-beast. Electro was busy focused on the brightly decorated buildings and billboards, absorbing the energy kept within them to enhance himself. Meanwhile, Swarm, Thousand and Absorbing Man were down on the ground, smashing and attacking various citizens who got in their way. The NYPD had already shown up at the scene, but they were unsuccessful in their attempts to stop the super-criminals thus far. Half of the first squad were already dead as a result of the various explosions caused by the group, primarily Electro. The buildings surrounding Times Square were all heavily damaged as a collateral result of the fighting.

Despite their plan for dominance over the new race of cross-species people not going so well, Electro's back-up plan was already in effect. Secretly, they had sent Spot over to the Treskellion Institute so that more of their "allies" could secretly escape. The boss wanted way more then just the Seven loose: whoever it was who wanted to free the Synthetics, they wanted a whole group of villains. The boss had not yet revealed their true intent behind freeing the super villains, but whoever it was, wanted them for something big. Perhaps a future job of some kind? Whatever it was, Electro was in the know-how. Why else would the glowing blue man who had a history of mental instability coupled with consistently yapping voices in his head be in charge of the group? Certainly not for his science skills, that was for sure. Shot after shot of electrical energy flew from the villain's hands as he unleashed his rage upon the citizens of New York. Citizens who, like Spider-Man before them, abandoned Max Dillion before and after his transformation. If it hadn't been for Spider-Man and his betrayal, Max may have-

The thoughts of the supervillain were suddenly cut off as he felt the heavy impact of what felt like a fire-hydrant being smashed into the back of his head. The impact sent Electro flying face-first into a nearby building, like a home-run being hit by a baseball player. Recovering himself quickly, Electro looked around for the source of the pain. Below him, was actually a fire-hydrant with a dent in it. Somehow, it had been picked up and flung towards him at an incredible speed, but what gave him a clue as to who was responsible was the thin, white substance glued to the side. Webbing.

"YO! SPARKY!" called out Peter, who was currently crouched over on the top of an abandoned police car.
image.jpg
"I'm gonna say this once and I'll say it nicely to you and your pals: LEAVE. MY CITY. ALONE."

"Ugh... Spider-Man. I expected you to show up sooner or later. Glad you could make it. I don't think we finished our little group-brawl earlier, did we? Obviously not: you're still alive. Well, now we have plenty of time. 8 against 1, this is going to be good." exclaimed Electro as he made his way out of the impact-crater he had made, charging up a pulse as he moved closer to the young hero.

"Wait... Eight of us? Did somebody forgot how to count?" asked Peter, who was praying that the diversion he was creating would give his team enough time to show up. The other villains seemed more for used on him now, but Hydro-Man and Sandman rapidly created a perimeter so the cops couldn't get to them. Whatever they were doing, they wanted to be alone with Spider-Man.

Smiling sinisterly, Electro let out a maniacal laugh that echoed with such power, it actually made the remaining lights blink on and off again. "No, web-head. The Synthetic Seven has recruited a new member, making us the "Artificial Eight". I'd like you to meet our little pet project. I'm sure you'll love him..." Electro explained as he clicked his fingers, sending a bright electrical wave shooting into the sky like some kind of signal. All of a sudden, a black portal appeared behind the supervillain, which promptly spat out Spot and another creature. It was red, with six sharp, clawed tendrils emerging from its back. The top of its head was spiked and cleft-in two, giving it a face similar to the hairstyle Wolverine rocked on a daily basis. The creature's entire body seemed to wriggle as if it were made of disgusting, constantly moving muscles and body-tissue. Its hands and feet possessed sharp, jagged nails that looked as if they could easily tear apart metal. The thing that caught Peter's eye, however, was the eyes of the creature. Much like his mask, it had large, pointed white eyes. However, the eyes seemed real and actually blinked (horizontally, like some kind of in-human monster or a Sci-Fi alien). The creature's body heaved with every breath, opening its mouth so wide that Peter swore he could see 2 rows of jagged, yellow teeth. "What is that thing?" muttered Peter under his breath, feeling extremely uneasy just being close to this creature. "Now this, my dear Web-Head, is our newest member. Perhaps you know him? Doctor Otto Octavius, being the good little scientist he is, decided not too long ago to join our lovely little enterprise. Using a stolen alien creature from OSCORP and infusing it with our blood, we managed to create the good doctor a little super-suit of his own! Living tissue, with sentience. Only catch is that it requires a human host to remain alive, so Otto decided to become the first of, what I can assume will be, many hosts! The suit has a bit of a symbiotic relationship with the wearer, giving the host incredible abilities and powers, while the alien parasite comprising the suit gets to continue living."
Peter watched Electro explain the creature's existence in shock. What had they done to Octavius? They turned him into a monster! Before he could even say anything in response, Electro spoke up again. "Technically, the suit was referred to by OSCORP as "the Symbiote", but me? I like to call our little science project "the Hybrid". You know what the best part about Hybrid is, Spider-Man? The symbiote is extremely impressionable. In fact, we already taught it a trick. Would you like to see?" asked Electro before he placed a hand on the back of
image.jpg
and slowly said "Hybrid? Kill."

Letting out a blood-curling Screech, the Hybrid symbiote extended it's tendrils and raced towards Spider-Man, claws bared. Jumping back, Peter's spider-sense went off just before we was hit by a blast of electricity, adding to the various electrical burn-marks on his costume. Before he even had a chance to move, the symbiote creature grabbed him by the head and tossed him against a nearby building before dashing forwards again, this time clawing at his chest and leaving behind four very painful (and blood-covered) cuts. Yelping in pain, Peter quickly kicked his feet forwards and knocked the alien creature back just in time to dodge another blast of electricity. Soon, the other Synethetics joined in on the battle, forcing Peter to stick to swinging around and dodging as opposed to attacking head-on. The group still needed time to get there, so he would create a diversion. Plus, Peter's mind raced over how he would get Doctor Octavius out from the Hybrid symbiote, if it was at all possible to remove the alien parasite.

• Love
Frank wasn't very happy when he arrived and saw the wall of sand and water. The Spider had rushed the villains without a plan and without waiting for help. Frank was unsure of whether he should commend the kid's bravery or scold him for his stupidity. He assumed that the wall was composed of Sand-man and Hydro-man. What little information he had collected on them, along with what Cap and the Spider had given them, gave him a few options, as for their weaknesses. Neither of them were very bright. He pulled his a frag grenade from his bag; it probably wouldn't help much against most of the Synthetics, anyways.

"Everybody, get clear!" Frank waited a few seconds to give the others time to get to cover, before pulling the pin and throwing the grenade to an area largely made up of by water. It exploded, sending shrapnel flying for several feet and dispersing the water. Without waiting for the others, Frank sprinted through, the flamethrower bouncing up and down a bit ridiculously on his back. He liked what he found on the inside even less than he did on the outside. Thousand and Swarm, the people he figured he would do best against, were wreaking havoc on civilians, and Spider-man was being attacked by a new player in this messed-up game. Frank was thoroughly confused, but he needed to make a decision. On the one hand, he needed to kill Thousand and Swarm, but on the other, the kid might need his help.

His time in Vietnam had prepared him to make split-second choices, though. He decided to run towards his targets-of-choice. Before he got too close, he dropped down and he fished an incendiary grenade from his bag, pulling the pin and hurling it into the crowd of spiders that made up Thousand. As the grenade, a military issue thermite grenade, flew through the air, it ignited. The quick-burning substance landed on the group of arachnids and burnt many of the swarm alive. This had the desired affect; Thousand and Swarm both focused their attentions on him. Now came the hard part.

He needed to funnel them, somehow. If he stayed in the open, Frank doubted he could rely on the others to pick up any slack. So he ran. He streaked into an old building, the first one he saw that he could defend effectively. The place had a lot of windows out front, but there was a hallway further back, facing the doorway. This would allow him to funnel the two long enough to receive aid. He whirled around just as the bees and spiders began to enter the building, and he let loose. The fire began to take them in the hundreds, but Frank could only hold for so long before some would slip through.

Last edited by a moderator:
The attack of the Synthetic Seven and the charge of Spider-Man threw any pre-made plans right into the water. Rogers swore under his breath as he ran toward Times Square, where the heart of the battle was raging. While the others began to engage the Seven and Spider-Man approached Electro, he saw from his perch atop an overturned car the newest asset for the Synthetics: a lean, crimson monstrosity with multiple appendages.

He scanned the battlefield, noting the growing chaos. Overturned vehicles, street fires, wounded and dying all around. Castle had drawn Thousand and the Swarm into the close quarters of a nearby buildings, while Hydro-Man and Sandman ran rampant in the open, both monstrously large.

Micromanaging the allies he had acquired would be next to useless at this point, Rogers realized. Instead, he began noting operational goals to get this battle under control. His hand went to his earpiece.

"We need to contain the giants' movement – I need someone keeping them in Times Square; if they take one step out, you bring on the thunder.

"I need someone upstairs reporting enemy movement and calling them out.

"Castle will need support as well.

"Remaining ground fighters, engage Absorbing Man.

"I'll try to keep the fight here on the ground with Spider-Man."

Something was nagging at him, however, even as he approached the battlefield. So far, he had accounted for Sandman, Hydro-Man, Electro, Thousand, Swarm, and Absorbing Man, as well as this newcomer in the crimson suit from hell.

So where was the Spot?

---

TRESKELION INSTITUTE

Howard the DUCC rolled out of the shadows and into the hallway, his scanners alerted to the presence of an intruder.

"MEATBAG DETECTED. ENGAGING."

Jan flew toward Times Square. She didn't know what she could do against giant walls of water or sand. They had wasted any time they may have had to prevent this and Spider-man had lead them into a battle they were poorly prepared for.

Where Frank's entrance was explosive, Jan's was much more subtle. She simply flew over the walls and dodged any of the tentacles which attempted to stop her. She was miniscule and few would actually take note of her. The insects of Swarm and Thousand were nearly as large as she was. She zapped a few of the insects which drew uncomfortably close as she listened to Cap's directions.

She had a few options. She could attempt to wrestle the two giants but two on one wasn't her first choice. She could act as over watch, but splitting her attention wasn't something she wanted to try without practice. If she tried to help Castle she was more than likely going to be burned along with the insects.

"You're thinking too much, Jan," she said to herself. At which point she quickly surveyed the area and decided to help the person who seemed to need it the most.

She doubted her blasts would have any effect against Electro, but maybe she could buy Spidey some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony was managing to keep up, miraculously. He had taken to the air as the team dispatched, and quickly noted the targets were advancing on Spidey. While the billionaire wasn't the vigilante's biggest fan, he realized he'd made a commitment: and he supposed he should probably stick to it, if he didn't want S.H.I.E.L.D and the rest of this rag-tag bunch of a 'team' after his iron ass.

When he was about to swoop in to offer his assistance, he heard the Captain's voice over his comm, and took a quick once-over of the situation below him. Just a second's glance revealed there were seven enemies.. But what threw off the genius was the disappearance of Spot. Frowning, he listened quietly to old stars and stripes's orders, quietly formulating a plan before responding. "Might I recommend the bird-lady keep the reigns on Time Square? It'd make the most sense; she can keep an eye on the enemy layout, and also put open fire on anything that leaves the ring," he suggested, continuing to observe the scene. It seemed Cap and Spidey would be fine.. For now. There were other matters to worry about.. "Do we have any eyes on the Spot?" he queried, landing silently. He noticed the way Frank had headed, and figured that was where he'd be the most helpful. Least, with Carol in the air, Janet God-knows where, and the others seeming to be focused on the remaining Synthetics, along with the new adversary they were faced with.

Cracking his neck, Tony readied his blasters, suit whirring mechanically as his weapons charged up and readied. He couldn't help but grin slightly. Oh, this is gonna be FUN. Upon JARVIS informing him his blasters were readied up, Tony commed in again. "Comin' to you, big guns," he remarked, repulsor rays on standby. Then again.. He supposed he wouldn't need them; the suit would, in and of itself, provide all the protection he'd need against villains that had bugs for their super-power.

More than ready for a standoff, the arrogant billionaire followed up from the rear end, shooting out a window in attempt to distract the villains attempting to get their hands- err.. bugs? -on Frank. It worked, to some extent. Of course, considering the mind control being worked on the bugs by Swarm, a majority of his bees still were evidently determined they'd make it beyond the flames licking at their numbers to get Frank. Of course, little progress was being made. However, Anthony had a feeling this would only last so long. Thousand, on the other hand, at least had skin to hide behind. Then again, he didn't seem to be holding up to well under the flames, either.

"Mind if I join the party? I hope it wouldn't bug you." I'm hilarious. Grinning madly under his mask, Tony advanced on the two villains. Between him and Frank, they had the fiends trapped. Err.. As trapped at they could be, considering the Swarm could fly out around him or his ally. Thousand, on the other hand, couldn't escape unless he could defeat the two.

In mere seconds, a number of weapons locked on the group of bees and the spider-host. First to be launched was a number of explosive shelled projectiles, aimed at the Thousand. Hopefully that'll do at least a bit of damage.

Rogers saw the Wasp flitting toward him and Spider-Man and acknowledged her approach with a salute of his shield, which he then turned into a spin on his foot, hurling the vibranium weapon at the Hybrid. It sank into the crimson flesh, but no blood spurted forth. Leaving Electro to Spider-Man, the SHIELD Director can atop an overturned car and leaped at the injured Hybrid, taking the moment of opportunity his shield had given him to punch the creature across the face. In the same movement, he grasped the edge of the shield and planted a sidekick into the Hybrid's side, forcing it back and peeling it off the shield with a stomach-churning squelch.

Rogers slammed the shield onto his forearm, just in time to deflect an electric blast from Electro. He rolled behind some debris to avoid a second burst. From behind cover, he went for the comm in his ear. "Wasp! Distraction!" he barked out, hoping Van Dyne could give him or Spider-Man and opening to take down Electro before the Hybrid recovered.

Just then, Iron Man came through the comm, "Might I recommend the bird-lady keep the reigns on Time Square? It'd make the most sense; she can keep an eye on the enemy layout, and also put open fire on anything that leaves the ring."

"Good call, Iron Man," Rogers agreed. "Danvers, Time Square's your playground - nothing gets in or out, even the big guys. You turn 'em back or turn 'em to ash."

A second alert went though him comm right after. Unfortunately, it was at the worst possible time. Rogers jumped and landed some feet away in a roll as Electro sent a blast at his former location, sending shards of slag everywhere. Some of it bounced of his shield. Clear of danger for a moment, Rogers tapped at his comm.

The voice at the other end surprised him. "MEATBAG DETECTED. IDENTIFICATION: THE SPOT. ENGAGING." Rogers almost forgot about the DUCC's investigation mission at the Treskelion.

"Rogers to all points - we have located the Spot! All Synthetics are accounted for! I repeat, we have located the Spot!"

Reactions: Midnight Maiden
[fieldbox=X-23, red, solid]
Peter seemed very much in a hurry to save his city and the situation was urgent enough for him to forget about a plan and go after them as soon as he could. Laura frowned. What had the citizens of New York done to deserve his heroism and devotion? Why was he so concerned that he would risk his life to go after the dangerous criminals police couldn't take care of? Why does he care so much? She sighed. There was no time to consider. As her only friend swung off toward Times Square, Captain America swore under his breath and the others started off behind him.

Laura just shook her head for a moment, forced her claws to break through the skin in her hands and feet and climbed the building Spider-Man had been stuck to before he ran off. From there she took a sprinting leap to the next building and kept on sprinting with her backpack slapping against her back with every swift step. She could still see Peter up ahead and she was catching up to him by the building, she was that quick. The clone was about to leap after him into Times Square when her backpack strap brushed against her hand in the breeze. She couldn't go into battle with it. It had all of her belongings. Pinocchio and The Letter. She just couldn't. She wanted to help her friend, but she had to put this in a safe place first. She is so selfish. If Peter gets hurt while she'd off hiding her stuff, she won't forgive herself. The whole reason she decided to go after the Synthetic seven was to help Peter and her motives haven't changed. She didn't care how much he cared about the 'innocent people' of new York, she was only here to make sure he'd be okay.

And with that in mind, she jumped off the edge of the building a few behind Times Square and landed in an alley, crouching to absorb the shock of the fall with a grunt. She pulled in her claws, holding her breath like she used to when she was working for Zebra Daddy by these kinds of alleys, X-23 sneaked behind a dumpster and stashed her backpack there. She knew what she was getting into with this fight, so she zipped open the beat up bag and pulled out her four remaining throwing knives and put them in the waistband of her jeans. Then she closed it up again and hid it with a piece of loose cardboard. Then she heard the noises of the fight already beginning. Large amounts of water and sand a few blocks away, along with a sudden screech that made her ears ring even from this far away. "Peter." She whispered, then dashed toward the battlegrounds.

She had considered herself rusty before first fighting the Seven but now, she would make sure they would not get the best of her. The rest of the rag-tag team made it there as she was climbing up the closest building with her claws to get a better look before jumping in. She saw them rush in and begin the chaos of battle while large quantities of water and sand came from all sides, in a wall surrounding the 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. A blast of electricity burst against the billboard on the building Laura was standing on when she noticed a new villain, a red creature, who had apparently been the source of the screech that had hurt her ears. Spider-Man was swinging around dodging direct attacks from Electro and when she looked closer, she was sure she could seen burn marks and blood on him. She would feel guilty for that later, but it was immediate anger that filled her and pushed her to leap off a building again, this time far enough to get past the walls made by SandMan and Hydro.
As soon as she landed as close as she could to her friend's assailant, she had to duck to avoid a blast of electricity. She searched for the source and for the creepy red creature and quicker than one could follow quite well she lunged for the tentacled creature focused on Peter. Despite her speed and ferocious claws, she was caught by her ankle with a chain and yanked back to the ground hard. X-23 coughed and looked to find the previously unoccupied Absorbing Man chuckling at her with a chain growing out of his arm. She'd had enough of that trick!

X-23 growled viciously and sliced through the metal before he could pull her closer. He was about to go for something new to absorb, but X-23 was furious and too fast for him to dodge a kick to the chest that left a long gash across his pecs from her foot's claw. The man roared and stepped back, allowing her to knee his stomach. He landed on his rear, but his hands touched the street, allowing him to send pieces of asphalt flying toward her. X-23 growled and couldn't cut through them fast enough so she pulled her arms up in an x, blocking as many as she could while they scratched her up where she stood. Just as the barrage was starting to die down while he got closer, X-23 was ready to attack again, but was distracted by glancing up to make sure Peter was okay. So she was instead blasted with a hard ball of sand that sent her to her knees. Absorbing Man quickly got the advantage on her then and laughed when he launched a huge and jagged piece of street to her chest. She partially dodged it, but it still knocked her to the ground and she smashed what had cracked her ribs with her claws. The cocky man was not expecting such a show of strength from the young woman, and that's what she had to take advantage of by swiftly jumping to her feet and leaping toward him. Her right pair of claws sliced through the asphalt he had made himself up with and cut his good arm off..
She could hear the rest of the battle raging around her and she just wanted to finish off her foe. Would Peter be upset with her if she killed this man?
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Epilogue of Chapter 1

Despite the odds, the mismatched group of "heroes" consisting of the vigilante Spider-Man, Captain America, The Punisher, the Wasp, Howard the D.U.C.C., Iron Man and "X-23" were able to overcome the Synthetic Seven and return them to the Treskelion institute. During the climactic final battle however, Doctor Otto Octavius was subject to experimentation by the Seven. The experimental Government-funded OSCORP project (which was a parasitic alien lifeform of unknown origin) Doctor Octavius was merged with, when combined with blood samples of the Seven, transformed and mutated his body into a creature known as "Hybrid". It is currently unknown why the group decided to mutate Doctor Octavius. Once the Seven were subdued, the heroes focused their efforts on "Hybrid" before Spider-Man discovered a weakness of the sentient Lifeform: high pitched frequencies. Using aluminium bars from a nearby construction site, Spider-Man created a make-shift cage for Hybrid and continuously created noise, harming the creature using Octavius as its host. Spider-Man then peeled the scientist out of the suit with a web and tossed one of Punisher's grenades into the creature, seemingly destroying it. The time spent inside of the "Hybrid" creature left Octavius with four horrifically mutated "limbs" attached to his back, which medical reports later indicted were comprised of real muscle and tissue that was connected directly to Otto's brain. If the limbs were amputated, Octavius could die.

With the Seven stopped and Hybrid destroyed, things soon returned to normal in New York... Except for the fact that Steve Rogers was now analyzing the files of the heroes involved with the event very closely, almost like a boss considering a list of potential employees.

But, this peace is not long lasting, true believers! For in the darkness, a new enemy threatens to surface and take the world as his own! ZOUNDS!

Three Weeks Later...

#2: "The Doctor and the Kingpin."

"Welp." said Peter, staring directly at the footage on the TV in front of him. On the screen was the image of a rather large man wearing an all-white suit. Beside him was another man standing at a podium and speaking about OSCORP. Peter recognized both of them right off the bat. The man at the podium was Norman Osborn, CEO of OSCORP. The large, whale-like man in white was none other then Wilson Fisk, or as most in NYC's seedy underbelly knew him as, the Kingpin of Crime. Most commonly, his title was shortened to "The Kingpin", but that didn't matter right now. What did matter was the fact that Osborn was announcing Fisk as the newest member of the board of directors. He spoke about how Fisk's investments with the company have increased the productivity of multiple projects and experiments, but Peter knew that Fisk knew just as much about science as he did about not eating the last piece of pie. There was only one reason that the Kingpin would be interested in OSCORP: resources. Having seen freaks like Electro and "the Scorpion" born at OSCORP, Peter suspected that Fisk wanted to create some super-powered goons of his own. Heck, a recent weirdo Spidey had tracked down, "the Shocker", had ties to Wilson. Peter only found that out after a little "aggressive interrogation" (meaning he hung him off the side of a building and threatened to drop the web). Peter wouldn't have killed Shocker anyways, but when somebody's hanging off the side of the Empire State Building by a thin strand of organic webbing, they tend to spill the beans quickly and efficiently. Shutting off the television, Peter rolled his eyes and returned to his cereal. "Guess Spidey's got some investigating to do..." mumbled Peter before raising the spoon of Honey Nut Cheerios to his mouth, chewing quietly as he stared into nothingness.

Then, a creak on the stairs caught his attention and he smiled playfully at the bed-headed brunette coming down the stairs. "Hey sleepyhead. Finally decide to wake up?" he asked Laura, taking another bite out of his Cheerios as he waited for a reply. Ever since the day the Synthetics rampaged through New York, Laura had even without a place to stay. Wannabee's had been destroyed by a Spider-Slayer and during the struggle, she had found out who Spider-Man actually was. Being the good-natured kid he was, Peter offered her to stay with him and his Aunt May. May Parker was thrilled by the new guest, but constantly wanted to remind Peter that "there will be no hanky-panky in her house". Despite how others may have felt about having a teenage girl who wasn't related to Peter (by blood) staying in their house, May was actually excited. She had known about Laura's past from Peter when he ran a report about her for the Bugle so long ago and thought that him offering her a place to stay was very grown-up and mature. She had taken a personal interest to Laura over the past while, treating her kind of like the daughter she never had. The two went on shopping trips to get Laura new clothes, bought her little trinkets and accessories for her room, and even added her cellphone to the Parker's family plan so Laura didn't have to worry about paying the bills. Until she got back on her feet and moved out, that was.

"You look like you were mauled by a wolverine, by the way." joked Peter as he took another bite of his cereal, patting the seat next to him at the table. "Come, join me. There's cereal in the cabinet if you're hungry and the milk's in the fridge. My aunt went to work early, so she won't be back until later tonight."

Elsewhere

~ Incoming Video Call ~
[/center]

"Ugh... On-screen."

~ Opening Video Call ~

"Hello, Dr. Pym."

"Victor... Why am I not surprised to see you bugging me again?"

"How long will it take to complete the prototype?"

"I don't know! Will you just let me work for christ's sake?! I already told you, I don't have all the proper parts to complete it, so I need more time!"

"What else do you need?"

"Well I could sure as hell use a base. If I had some kind of a working model to edit, things would be much quicker."

"A base? Hmm... How would something like this work?"

"... Victor, there's no way I'd be able to get my hands on that, even with my connections."

"You might not be able to, but I can. I'll ring up some of my contacts... Maybe Mr. Fisk can assist us. He's working closely with OSCORP now, so it shouldn't be too difficult to secure one."

"Whatever you say boss. But if you get caught trying to secure that, don't bring me into it. I've got enough problems as it is with my personal life, I don't need to be associated with a felon on top of it all."

"Of course... I'll let you get back to your work then."

~ End of Video Call ~

"God damn it, Victor... This better not trace back to me. I'm already in deep enough with SHIELD, I can't afford another strike... I should tell Janet. But then, if he's gonna steal from... Fuck, Hank! What have you gotten yourself into?"

Frank sat in one of his many safe houses, this one being a small apartment in Queens. Though the building was fairly normal from the outside, the inside was filled with various weapons and files on some of his still living marks, as well as some emergency cash. Places like this weren't cheap, but Frank had actually become quite wealthy. After all, the criminals he killed were usually quite rich, and the aging vigilante wasn't one to give the money to homeless junkies. So the money went to buy apartments and various other places, usually for obscene amounts of hush money.

It had been easy for him to move on from the incident with their little crew. He had easily remained unattached. They were just a bunch of stupid kids, bound to get themselves killed. Why should he stick around? Besides, they had Steve Rogers. Now, the man wasn't any more 'super powered' than Frank was, but he knew that Rogers could handle himself a lot better than most of those Supers in tights could. The majority of them fought like professional wrestlers- without skill, or forethought, and usually with much destruction inflicted on their surroundings.

So he had no interest in rejoining the group. Though one thing in particular made him doubt his decision to sever ties. It was also one of his reasons to sever ties. They were kids. Except for Stark and Rogers, the group was generally very young an inexperienced. Bound to get themselves killed. He didn't let this nag at him for very long though, moving on from mark after mark.

The group had also not made much of an impact on him when it come to his use of capital punishment. Just since his separation, he had killed ten more people. Granted, they were low-level gangsters. Nothing of worth. Just scum he cleaned up off the street. In the end, no one really knew who to attribute their deaths to. He was on the news almost every day; the extremely violent vigilante was blamed for quite a few killings, especially gang-violence without witnesses or any casualties on one side. Despite what the media would have you believe, though, Frank killed five or ten people a week, usually. Their numbers put him near one hundred, though. Every now and then, of course, Frank would deviate from this pattern. After all, sometimes a big group of people just needed to die.

He examined one of his files. Wilson Fisk, AKA "the Kingpin of Crime." Suspected of racketeering, murder, and many other things that made Frank seethe with hatred. Oscorp had announced that he would be joining their board of directors. That presented some opportunities. Frank knew he was David and that Fisk was Goliath, though. Somehow, he doubted his stone would fly quite so true. So, he cast the file aside. Then, something hit him. What if he could get the team together? They wouldn't consent to him killing Fisk, but he could always do it and then disappear again. After all, even if they did find him, Frank was confident he could handle them quite well.

The only question was how to contact them.

It would take a lot. A big noise. Screaming. Death. Though, they wouldn't be very happy with him if that was what got their attention. Still, it was the only real way. Frank didn't know who they were, for the most part, and knew he couldn't find them without months of work. In that time, Fisk would still be able to run rampant.

So, he looked through his files until he happened upon one in particular: the Patrov family. It was a large branch of the Russian mob, consisting of about ten active actual family members, fifteen honorary members of the family, and hundreds of henchmen and low-level gang leaders. The mob wasn't as strong as it once was, of course. It didn't own cities. It was just like any other gang, battling for turf. The Patrovs were a peculiar case, though. They were a violent, merciless band, and had been on his list for far too long. This was just the excuse he needed to go after them.

For now, though, he waited. Maybe he could find another way.​

• Love
Reactions: Midnight Maiden
While almost any other superhero around the world was likely off saving people or thwarting villains evil schemes, maybe just sitting around worrying about the antics of baddies and when they'd strike again, Tony Stark was in his lab.. Boredly and absently working on schematics for a new suit. His current one, Mark 5, was fine.. But despite, the billionaire always saw room for improvement. So, why not expand a bit? Even if Tony would deny that he actually intended to use his suit for anything good, and just say that he upgraded solely out of boredom and a need to do something.

But hey, it wasn't like anyone actually knew for certain or not. Hell, for all anyone knew, Tony wanted to use his suit to mcfuck up the city.

But admittedly, Tony had felt a little different since the Synthetic Seven incident. Not that he'd admit that to anyone, or anything.. But it had almost felt good to be out there, fighting those guys. Maybe it was the sense of partnership with the other 'heroes', or it was the positive feeling of helping people, or even just that it felt damn good to get out and whip some ass.

Even Tony didn't really know what it was.. But he didn't like it. Why would he feel good about any of that? Aside from the latter, of course; that always felt good. But the other two made no sense. Tony Stark didn't need a team... He worked alone. And he certainly wasn't one of those goody-goody heroes bent on 'saving the world' and catering to citizen's needs.

Damn emotions, being all fucked up.

Sighing heavily, the man rubbed his face, setting the schematics down on one of the tables in the lab. And with that, he simply made his way out, heading to his bar counter and getting himself a drink. This was a common routine; go to meetings, work on his suits or other projects, drink. He knew this wasn't good for him, of course.. But who cared? Certainly not the philanthropist. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

Suddenly, Tony heard his phone going off.. And groaned in detest. "Sir, the-" "I know, JARVIS. Decline call." "Yes, sir." Satisfied by the silence returning to the room, Stark simply stayed in his seat at the bar, drinking away and thinking about what he could- and should -do.. Both as the famous Tony Stark, and as Iron Man. Nobody knew the two were the same.. And most still thought Iron Man was solely Tony's guardian. But, suspicion had been raised as of recent.. Tony had been putting his suit to a bit better use lately; occasionally rescuing citizens, fighting off bad guys.. And then there was the SS.

What kind of bodyguard did things like that?​

Status
Not open for further replies.