EXERCISE The Two-Sentence Story

Discussion in 'REFINING WRITING' started by fatalrendezvous, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Sometimes as writers and roleplayers, we put unnecessary emphasis on word counts. We have this misconception that more words is better. This exercise is intended to help break us from that habit!

How much can you tell in just two sentences? How much emotion can you convey? Can you create a story that readers can relate to and connect with?

Often, a concise story can be just as powerful, if not more powerful, than a wordy one.

Give it a try! No content is off-limits! The only rule is, you only get TWO SENTENCES! No more, no less. No run-ons!

EDIT to include an important point from @☆Luna☆!
    The trick to making a two sentence story is to immediately introduce conflict. If you want to make it really good, you can try to make the first sentence build expectations, then have the second one defy those expectations by resolving them in an interesting, and possibly ironic, way.

2. I'll start with one:

I still haven't cancelled your cell phone number. Your voicemail greeting is the only way I can hear your voice anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I can't be heard from any kind of communication.

I only fight so I can stay away from my inevitable damnation.

#3 Mapelle, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I still can't decide whether this situation is good or bad. I mean, the walls are closing in and we're running out of space, but you are pretty cute...

• Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 2
    • Nice execution! Nice execution! x 2
  5. The finish line is seems further away than ever before. The rhythm of the drumbeat in my ear-buds drive me on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wow this got popular ever since I posted.

Oh wait, hold on, my turkey just got roasted. :(

7. He wasn't sure whether or not that counted as a story, but he didn't care. He was busy thinking of some other witty two-liner.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don't even have to rhyme with these stories.

I just think it's time we stop this quarry before it gets gory.

• Like Like x 1
  9. To be perfectly honest, it seemed that the self-imposed limit was the real challenge here. But I wasn't convinced that was supposed to be the point, all I knew was that somehow, we'd unwittingly destroyed everything.

10. I'll repeat one I heard when I was a wee lad. You should know it, that very short horror story.

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room.
    There was a knock on his door..."

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Two sentences eh? Hm...

"I love you."
    "You're just saying that because I almost killed you."

• Like Like x 7
  12. My daughter won't stop crying and screaming in the middle of the night.
    I visit her grave and ask her to stop but it doesn't help.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 4
    • WTF Did I Just Read WTF Did I Just Read x 1
  13. I was just up there trying to enjoy the view. Somebody below shouted at me to jump.

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  14. You're so beautiful when you sleep. But it's getting a bit old, so please wake up.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  15. When something large and furry and fanged and clawed is drooling on your face, hope to God it's a Saint Bernard come to the rescue. Otherwise, you're screwed.

• Like Like x 6
  16. I made the mistake of telling you I loved you. You made the mistake of telling someone else she was the one.

17. The trick to making a two sentence story is to immediately introduce conflict. If you want to make it really good, you can try to make the first sentence build expectations, then have the second one defy those expectations by resolving them in an interesting, and possibly ironic, way. Using this information to my advantage, this is my attempt.

Mrs. Johnson, Sarah really needs to stop bringing her baby here. Middle school is no place for a child.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
    • Thank Thank x 2
  18. I'm really sorry about Stacie's accident. Next time, i'll make sure the car doesn't miss.

• Love Love x 1
  19. Despite having all of these powers -- flight, x-ray vision, super speed -- none of them would get her out of this one.

Infertility would have been more useful.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I'd give anything to be in Harry's shoes at the moment.

He's content with life and he is so proud of what he does.