The Truest of Hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vel's words did little more than break the prince's heart. The love of his life cried uncontrollably on the floor of the library, a broken she'll of the woman she once was. Memories of that positive, smiling, giggling little girl flashed in his mind as once again his hand rested softly on the library window. Vel was still talking but so lost was he in Quil's change that he missed the words entirely. How could any man want to squash such a spirit as hers? It was that spirit that every future king should strive to have at his side. Instead, Alexander had destroyed it for some other reason.

It wasn't until he saw fell fall against the wall out of the corner of his eye that he returned to her. His movements were slow bogged down by despair and anger even though he tried to hurry to her aid, "Ar-are you alright?" He asked her as she straightened herself up.

His hands supported her arm until she assured him of her balance. Only then did he speak again, "What do I do? What can I do?"

Micaiah had thought that losing her to Alexander at her birthday was hard. This was far worse. Alexander had not just taken her from him, but he had destroyed her. The Quilicia he had fallen in love with was now suffering to the point where she had been suppressed for protection. He only prayed that Quilicia had not allowed such nightmares to destroy that part of her that was perfection.

"We can't let this go," he brushed out his clothes with his hands, "If I could just speak with her."
-----
Alexander couldn't focus on entertaining his guests. It was nearly impossible to do with his future bride not at his side. He knew deep down that he could not trust her, or rather, he could not trust Prince Micaiah. He knew that even despite their conversation, Quilicia still loved Micaiah and if the prince were to find a way to be alone with he could potentially unravel everything he had worked hard to change. Quilicia was finally what he needed her to be and he'd be damned if he let that happen.

Instead of entertaining his guests, his eyes searched frantically for Quilicia though his body showed no such tension. His mother noticed however and a soft hand brushed over his, "Do not fret, my son, the Princess will return."

Alexander looked to his mother and smiled faintly, "I know she will," after all, she knew the consequences of disobeying him.

As he made an end of speaking, Quilicia returned. Alexander immediately took her hand and squeezed it painfully. He wore a smile as fraudulent as his feelings for her as he leaned over to her ear and whispered, "Too long," those two words carried a weight only she would understand.

Turning back to his guests, he allowed her to stew in her thoughts of what punishment he might have in store for her. Now, with her at his side, he could not properly entertain his guests. There were plenty of those as well. Laughter filled the hall and occasionally he would glance at Quilicia to see if she could hold up appearances. A smile spread across lips as he watched her. She was a perfect example of submission.

Alexander's next guest both made him uncomfortable and excited. Standing before him was Duchess Francis but Prince Micaiah was no where to be found. Alexander tilted his head ever so slightly in respect, "Duchess Francis, it is so nice to see you. I am very glad that you could make it. But-," he faked disappointment in order to hide his uncomfortableness, "Whre is your fiancé?"

• Love
Reactions: Phi Chisym
"We can't let this go. If I could just speak with her."

Vel was split between two directions. As she contemplated how she can help Prince Micaiah with this dilemma, her mind and heart held onto Quilicia and the situation surrounding her right at that moment. All was fine as her dear friend returned to the festivities...

"I...I might be able to help, but it requires something from you..." Unsure just how the Prince will take this unorthodox request of hers, she quickly wrapped them back into the shadows to return to the safety of the stables. The darker atmosphere made it easier for them to hide safely, for there was something she needed to do first in order to help the Prince. But, should she reveal herself to him?

Once the shadows dissipated from around them, revealing their location to be one of the high lofts within the royal stables, Vel turned to Micaiah and bowed once more. "It's is probably obvious to you that...I'm quite different." Just then, Vel was attacked by another onset of maddening fear. She refocused her attention back to her friend and realized that she was sitting with Prince Alexander, tensed with horror. Vel's body language, folded in sorrow and suffering, portrayed exactly what Quil was feeling at that very moment. Vel held her ground, almost in tears but she did not show them. Her plans altered, for now she realized that she had no other choice. Time...was melting away fast.

Taking a few deep breaths, Vel slowly stepped before Micaiah as she continued to speak. "I'm a rather unique creature of shadow and soul, an Umbreon. I have been blood bounded to Princess Quilicia ever since she was born. I protect her - at all cost, keeping myself hidden as her little spy, working for her when she is unable to do for herself. I can feel her emotions, her inner thoughts; and as of right nowm can hear the conversations she's having with others. I cannot use my abilities on others - only her, because of the blood bound. But, there's a way I can work for you, just as I do for her. I can become your little spy over Quil. All that I need..."

Vel's hand flew up, stopping her words right in the middle of her own sentence. Again, her wild violet eyes widened, and before the Prince could say anything, she grabbed his hand. Her hand suddenly glowed with a violet light, and she revealed to him the conversation transpiring between Prince Alexander....and Duchess Francesca!

"Duchess Francis, it is so nice to see you. I am very glad that you could make it. But... where is your fiancée?"

"Oh no! We've run out of time!" She glared at Micaiah, "Do you trust me, M'Lord?" As soon as he answered positively, her free hand lifted over his. It wasn't normal anymore, but a fur-covered claw. She flipped his palm up, and like a sharp needle, she pricked the center of his hand to sprout one drop of blood. She did the same with her own palm, then pressed their hands together. A sudden bright glow took over their hands and grew between them. To Vel, she felt nothing. But to Micaiah, where their blood fused caused a slight sting. The bound sealed itself and left no trace. "Now, I am your servant as well, Prince Micaiah. My strength is yours. Use it - to save her!"

Before he had a chance to speak, Vel wrapped him in shadow once more and transported him into the palace, finding a dark location unseen within the banquet hall. She took her time with the spell, hoping to not distort his equilibrium, but he needed to get there as quickly as possible and this was the best way to manage that.

Micah was a whirlwind of emotions as he watched and listened to Vel. Her explanation was interrupted numerously due to things she could not yet explain, not for lack of trying. He wanted to grab her shoulders and stop her long enough to get her to explain but she didn't give him the chance. She suddenly grasped his hand and pricked it with a transformed hand. That alone caused fear in him, but a deep sense of calm about it fell over him as she took his hand. It was short lived, however, as Vel moved them once again though his time he could tell she was trying her hardest to not dizzy him.

Everything returned to normal and his ears were assaulted with music, conversation and laughter. Vel had moved them to the party. It was amazing...and unsettling all at once. Micah steadied himself by planting a hand against the cold stone. It took him only a moment before he was fine. With a nod in thanks, he searched for Quilicia only to find her with Alexander and Francis. His heart sank in anxiety.

"Vel," he started, "I-I don't know what you've done or what to expect. I just know I must help Quilicia but I need to do it carefully."

He couldn't strain relations between the kingdoms. To cross any lines with Quilicia in front of anyone would result in war no doubt. It would also hurt Francis and harm relations between her parents and his kingdom. Both of these would be detrimental to his homeland. Whatever Vel had done, it would have to be enough until he could be with Quilicia alone. That was something that needed to happen either way.

"Separate Quilicia and I will do everything I can to save her."

Micah left Vel and hurried to Francis' side arriving and scooping up her hand just as she was about to answer Alexander, "Quite the party you have here!" He exclaimed with a smile before he turned and clasped a hand over Francis', "I am sorry to have left you for so long."

Alexander shifted his weight in suspicion and looked down at Quilicia. He could tell she thought he suspected something and from the fear in her eyes, he knew it was true. Smiling back at Micaiah, he replied, "Well, this is a day of celebration in my land. Soon we," he tugged on Quilicia bringing her closer as if to flaunt her, "we will rule this land together and usher in a new era of peace and prosperity. One that is far greater than any other the kingdom has ever seen."

Micaiah would be lying if his comment didn't hurt him in the least bit, but he did his best to hide it. It was Quilicia's reaction to Alexander that caused his blood to boil. Micaiah knew by heart the real Quilicia. He had dreamt about one memories and smiles every night since he had first seen them. What he saw before him was a shell of that woman. Another lie to tell would be that, in that moment, he did not want to run Alexander trough with his blade.

"Vel," Prince Micaiah started, "I-I don't know what you've done or what to expect. I just know I must help Quilicia, but I need to do it carefully. Separate Quilicia and I will do everything I can to save her."

With a heavy sigh, Vel nodded, "I will do what I must. And you, M'Lord, can now do all you may wish. You will soon see. Now, you must hurry." Quickly, the young servant melted into the shadows, lost to his eyes.

A cheerful smile, a tilt of her head; that was all Quil was capable of doing after Prince Alexander's last words. Those two little words were the very ones she'd hoped to not hear. How could she have been so immature to step away from his side, even for a moment to recompose her emotions? It wasn't a sound idea from the start. and now, her efforts to return promptly were a failure...

My God! What must he think of me now? Especially since Prince Micaiah's not here!

Her thoughts were frazzled, but - as always - her natural ability to put on a show masked her true self once more. She kept everything about her in peace, smiling and conversing with their guest as they stepped forward for their former welcomes from the Relpins. All thoughts of seeing Prince Micah had been tossed aside once more by the horror that now tossed images in her mind about what Alexander might do to punish her this time. A slap across the face was painful and humiliating. Once was enough for her, but of course, she knew that simple discipline takes a broad step when one doesn't learn from it the first time.

But...I did learn from it the first time! I - I didn't mean to be late... I wasn't looking for...

"Quite the party you have here!"

That voice caused her nightmarish thoughts to flee from her daydream, and Quilicia lifted her eyes to find non other than Prince Micaiah returning to Francis' side, taking her hand in his lovingly to apologize for leaving her. Her eyes immediately dropped from his face, moving instinctively to Alexander. By the stars, she didn't what to make another mistake and disobey him once more; looking upon Prince Micaiah. She gave him her eyes instead, but instantly she saw exactly what she feared... Suspicion. As softly and unnoticeable as she could, her eyes spoke her plea: I wasn't looking for Prince Micaiah, I swear!

Smiling back at Micaiah, Prince Alexander replied, "Well, this is a day of celebration in my land. Soon we," he tugged on Quilicia bringing her closer to his side. She did not show disagreement at this and leaned into him tenderly, smiling happily as she watched him chatter away. "We will rule this land together and usher in a new era of peace and prosperity. One that is far greater than any other the kingdom has ever seen."

The perfect actress lightly giggled in his ear before turning her eyes towards the apparently content couple before her with a blossoming grin, "Yes. My dear Fiancee has promised me all that I can imagine with our coming union, more than I can ever dream!" Dropping her eyes away from the two, she turned back to Prince Alexander with a humbled hold, caressing his features with the sparkle within them that spoke genuine love. "It is a blessed promise that our two kingdoms, and the entire realm, will gain from."

Her hand slipped over his tenderly, almost timidly, and held it with a reverence. For a moment, she just stared at him, reading the darkness that shrouded his soul and the bits and pieces of his true heart she honestly wished were whole enough to get to know. Deep down, she's seen it before, how Alexander can be a sweet charmer with a true passion for the things he holds dear. She knows he can be good, but this darkness that had twisted him makes it difficult. Quil realized that if she can show love to that caged, tattered heart within Alex, then perhaps, she can portray the true love for him that she must showcase before him and all others. That was her well of inspiration - what her salvation rested on...

Her lips parted with a silky sigh as she smiled lovingly towards Alexander. Then, she turned towards the couple once more and grinned warmly towards Francis. "Ah, Duchess Francisca. It's been so long, but nothing has changed about you. You're still as radiant as I remember."

Francis was taken back by her old friend's behavior, but smiled all the same and curtsied. "I can say the same about you as well, Princess Quilicia. You're not the tiny little sprout that use to tug at my skirt and follow me everywhere I went anymore. Me must catch up some time soon. I do miss my old shadow."

The two women giggled in unison as if nothing had changed between them. It felt good for the both of them to allow a portion of their old friendship to shine that night, knowing how tense the a moment they were in. Then, with all the strength Quil could muster, she flattened her expression slightly and turned towards Prince Micaiah. It would be improper for her to not acknowledge his presence, but as she gave her most formal, well-rehearsed smile his way, her eyes remained barely upon his face - just skirting the strong line of his jaw. She dare not find his eyes, knowing they would only draw her back into her fonder memories of happier days.

"Prince Micaiah, it was so good of you to join us. It is greatly appreciated."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Why won't she look at me?

Micaiah thought as the conversation between the pairs of royals commenced. It was if she couldn't stand to look at him. It was either that, or Quilicia was a very good actress. Micaiah, on the other hand, was not so perfect in the craft. His eyes, if anyone took enough time to look, really look, they would see his heartache. It had always been difficult for the prince to mask his feelings.

While the girls conversed, the boys locked eyes. In that moment, a smirk spread across Alexander's lips and Micaiah cursed himself. He had allowed Alexander to see those emotions and had further emboldened the fool. Micaiah steeled his gaze though it was too late, and turned to Princess Quilicia when she addressed him.

Her calloused words toward him pricked his already wounded heart and a mixture of pain, anger, love, and hatred threatened to boil over in that moment. For now, Micaish was in desperate need to make this conversation as short as possible for to kill Alexander on the spot would surely do his people no merit. Micaiah straightened himself and responded. This would show Alexander that he was not weak, Princess Quilicia that he would not press the matter for now, and Francis that he truly meant what he had told her.

"I couldn't miss such a joyous occasion. To not wish good fortune on another kingdom would be foolish. Both our kingdoms benefit from peace," Micaiah turned to Alexander, keeping his eyes off of Quilicia as much as possible, "I do hope you have a wonderful celebration over the next several days," turning to Francis, he smiled warmly, "Now come, love, I am quite sure the crown prince us many other guests to attend to."

Micaiah extended his free hand to Alexander and locked eyes with the boy he hated more than anything, "Until next time?"

Alexander studied Micaiah a moment and he could have sworn he saw a thought to turn down the gesture. After a pause that was far too long for anyone who was watching, Alexander finally took his hand. Micaiah squeezed firmly, far more than necessary and smirked back at Alexander's reaction, "Until next time," Alexander replied and quickly released his hand.

Micaiah guided francis to their table and waited for the servants to pull out her chair before he even thought to sit. Only then did he lean toward her and speak softly, "Does Quilicia seem as her old self?"
--------
Alexander watched as Micaiah walked away. His eyes bore straight through the boy as an arrow did its target. Despite the show of strength the prince gave before his departure, Alexaner had seen what he needed to. He saw the hurt in Micaiah's eyes. That was enough to date any frustration in his life, at least almost any.

His smile faded ever so slightly as his attention returned to Quilicia. She had disappointed him and needed to be reminded of the consequences of that. He could harm her once again, but what would that do? No. He had told her that her disobedience would effect those she loved and it was time she learn that.

As Alexander and Quilicia waited for their next guests to arrive, his eyes fell on Bianca.

"I couldn't miss such a joyous occasion. To not wish good fortune on another kingdom would be foolish. Both our kingdoms benefit from peace," Micaiah turned to Alexander, keeping his eyes off of Quilicia as much as possible, "I do hope you have a wonderful celebration over the next several days," turning to Francis, he smiled warmly, "Now come, love, I am quite sure the crown prince us many other guests to attend to."

Just hearing calling someone else his love was painful to hear. Quilicia held her breath, still with a false smile plastered on, as the two men shook hands and the couple left their presence. Her eyes closed and she slowly, numbingly exhaled, emptying her lungs of everything it could hold. If she could, she would refuse to fill them again in order to free herself of this new hell she's forced to live. That's how she felt - to hear Micaiah's voice, but not touch his face or stare into his eyes... To hear his adoration expressed to another... It took all her strength to play her part as well as she could, but there was no more energy within her to go on. Quil wanted the night to end...

Francis wished to end the night herself.

Torn, she couldn't stand the torture her friends were going through, and she felt so guilty as being one of the elements causing it. But, it's such a rarity to feel Micaiah's genuine affection, to know just through his touch that, regardless of what might be, he was there for her and always will be. When his heart feathered to thought of his first love, the distance is as far as the east is from the west; yet, they stand so close - hands touching. She understood - the love he held for her would never be the same as what he reserved for Quilicia. Francis wasn't sure if she was okay with this understanding, or frustrated by it. Even as he stands before that very soul his heart still pursues, his behavior was the same - distant. Until his final statement, when he place his armor on once more to stand against his nemesis. Suddenly , Francis felt something between their palms and in the tone of his voice. It was faint, but at least it was something - even if it was just to show off before the other prince.

Micaiah guided Francis to their table and waited for the servants to pull out her chair before he even thought to sit. Only then did he lean toward her and speak softly, "Does Quilicia seem as her old self?"

Francis sighed, "No, she is behaving rather distant to you. I believe she was attempting to not look upon your face..." Appreciated of that Francis was, but also very disturbed. Watching her old friend from a distance she saw her eyes fall to her lap when no one was before the couple. She looked as if she was sitting in the corner of her room sulking. "Quil's never been a child who was easily contained. It would take Bianca, myself, and several servants just to get the girl to sit down and finish a meal. There were only two things that kept her tail in one place - the piano, and her father's scoldings...." Francis gasped, feeling the hairs upon her arm rise with a unforgiving chill. Her eyes turned to Micaiah, fearfully shaking her head - she couldn't utter the words, afraid to believe something so awful could happen to someone she knew.

• Love
Francis' response was just as he had thought it would be though he had hoped it would not. He suspected that Quilicia was as she was, not b choice, but because of the strong hand of another influence and beyond the fact he had hoped it were Alexander, evidence was continuing to pile up against the crown prince. He was breaking her and quite successfully it seemed. Unfortunately, Micaiah only had a few days to find a way to save her and he had to do it under all the watchful eyes.

His parents would not believe him and the mere mention of her name from his lips would result in a scolding glare from his father and a disappointing look from his mother. Not to mention the heartache his valiant gestures would cause Francis. Prefer it or not, she was his bride to be. She was the woman he needed to learn to love and would one day mother his children. She would rule his kingdom beside him and neither of them could do such a task effectively if she constantly doubted him.

Micaiah took Francis's hand and gently brought it to his lips before pressing a kiss to her knuckles tenderly, "I am certain it cannot be as bad as you think it is, Francis," he rubbed over his kiss with his thumb gently, "Let's try not to ruin their big day with accusations that may not be true. Perhaps it is just time and age that has transformed the princess into a softer, quieter girl."

It was all a lie. He had seen Quilicia crumpled on the library floor. He had seen her mourning for a life she would never enjoy again. He had noticed the way she spoke to him, the way she cooed over Alexander, and the way she had avoided eye contact. They were all losing the little girl they loved because of Alexander and he would pay dearly for that.
-----
The banquet came and went without further incident. As day gave way to night, Alexander took his fiancé for a walk through the garden insisting that Bianca come in tow for the sole purpose that he had noticed Quilicia looking a bit pale and did not want to be alone with her should she faint of whatever was ailing her. At least that's what he told Quilicia and Bianca. Separately he had another lesson in mind.

"Are you feeling well, Princess?" Alexander asked as he held her arm in arm as they walked amongst the budded roses, "Prince Micaiah has become quite a young man, yes?" A trap and she would know it.

Alexander soaked in her answer with a sigh. She would tell him what she thought he wanted to hear but deep down he knew she was just a little whore unwilling to stay faithful to the man she would be married to in a few years, "It was quite the coincidence that, while you were absent from my side, he too was absent from Franscesca's," now the truth would come out, "You were with him weren't you." It was declarative not interrogative. After all, all she would do is lie. She wasn't his yet, not completely. There was a part of her that she still tried to hold to.

Alexander ignored her answer and spoke again, "Look up on the garden walls," he whispered so Bianca could not hear, "Each one of those archers has an arrow aimed at your beloved nurse. Need I remind you there are rules," Alexander flicked his wrist and the men drew back their arrows, "I need only give the order and they will let their arrows fly. Now tell me the truth. You were with Micaiah weren't you. Lie to me, Quilicia, and I will give the order."

Alexander looked over her shoulder and smiled at Bianca, "Will you wait there, the princess and I will be at this bench. If I feel she need you, I will call for you."

Leading Quilicia to the bench, he continued once they sat, "Look at her. She's beautiful and has many years left to live. What would she think, if she were even aware of her situation at the the moment, if her life was cut short because you lied."

• Love
Quil tried her best to continue keeping up appearances, but a hard shadow remained hovering over her head throughout the entire night. Regardless how she felt, the night did move smoothly. After a while, Quil was able to fall into her roll, laughing and swooning over Alexander, all the while keeping her attention miles away from Prince Micaiah and Duchess Francesca. Her confidence grew at Alexander's behavior - perhaps her behavior was appealing enough to gain his approval, and his mercy.

Quilicia spent the rest of her night attempting to understand what all happened and what impact her words and attitude had on her lost love. Her hopes of the night finally coming to an end changed when Alexander called for her presence once more. This time, with Bianca. The explanation about hsi request for her Governess made sense, but odd since normally he prefers to spend time with her alone.

The two of them were escorted with him to the gardens. As they walked, Quil continued to sneak a look over her shoulder, attempting to read her Governess' thoughts through her eyes. Bianca slowly nodded her head, a silent reassurance that she will be okay.

"Are you feeling well, Princess?" Alexander asked as he held her arm in arm as they walked amongst the budded roses

"Yes, quite well, just tired after such amusement."

"Prince Micaiah has become quite a young man, yes?"

Quil kept her eyes straight ahead, "I wouldn't know. My eyes remained on you throughout the night." He sighed, obviously not amused by her answer. Quil didn't understand what he was attempting to do; Prince Alex was a difficult man to read. All she knew was that he wasn't a man that was light with his threats.

"It was quite the coincidence that, while you were absent from my side, he too was absent from Francesca's. You were with him weren't you."

Quil turned to face him, holding the same stern expression she normally held when standing her ground when she know she's right. "No, I wasn't. I was in the library with Bianca waiting for my assistants to bring me a new pair of shoes." Quilicia has never lied in her life, even when she was young. She learned at an early age that the truth was better for the soul and her backside; besides, she had no reason to lie...

"Look up on the garden walls," Alex whispered, pointing up as he did. Quil followed his hand to find her worse fears coming to life. "Each one of those archers has an arrow aimed at your beloved nurse."

Her eyes widened in disbelief, "NO! Alexander, please don't do this..."

"Need I remind you there are rules," Alexander flicked his wrist and the men drew back their arrows, "I need only give the order and they will let their arrows fly. Now tell me the truth. You were with Micaiah weren't you. Lie to me, Quilicia, and I will give the order."

Alexander looked over her shoulder and smiled at Bianca, "Will you wait there, the princess and I will be at this bench. If I feel she need you, I will call for you."

Trying her best to not break, Quil walked silently with Alex, looking over her shoulder with enough heartache in her eyes to warn Bianca that her life was in danger. Tears began to run down her pale cheeks. How can I save her with the truth - he didn't listen to it the first time!

Sitting down on the bench with Alex, he continued. "Look at her. She's beautiful and has many years left to live. What would she think, if she were even aware of her situation at the the moment, if her life was cut short because you lied."

With eyes wet and wide, she turned directly to him and held his eyes with anger. "Alex, I was not with Prince Micaiah. I did not look for him, I did not care to look for him. I went to the library to remind myself how important it was for me to... follow your directions."

She shook her head, completely shocked that she was going through this - that Bianca was pulled into it. "My two assistants, the very two you placed for my care, they know where I was. They will tell you the truth too - I asked them to bring me a pair of comfortable shoes because I knew I didn't have enough time to do so myself. Bianca and I waited for them at the library."

Lifting her red eyes to Bianca, all she wanted to do was tell her to run; Alex will kill her regardless of what she said. Bianca realized the minute she saw the archers raise their bows that her life was over. She did not run, did not cry. She only stood in place with her hands folded before her, and her loving eyes upon the girl she cared for as her very own. A prayer left her lips, then she moved her lips slowly for Quilicia's sharp eyes to read. Never forget who you are, my little Leonni. Do not let him take you away from yourself.

"Please, Alex," she pleaded, "I'm telling the truth. I did not disobey you!"

Alexander glared down angrily at his fiancé. There wasn't s word she spoke he believed. He knew she was with Micaiah. It was the only explanation. When she shifted the blame from herself and included the two servant girls he had given her, he paused only a moment. His hand held in the air and his eyes shifted to Bianca. He wanted so badly to give the order. To watch as his men made a pin cushion out of the only person left that could keep him from controlling all of Quilicia, but to do so now would be suspicious. How would he play it off?

Sighing and visibly frustrated, the young prince spoke, "Bring the servant girls," a soldier scurried off and he looked back to Quilicia, "Have I not given you everything you could want? Do you not see that anything you could ever want is in my reach? Do not ruin your chance at true happiness over a stupid boy. You'd better be telling the truth, or by the Gods Quilicia, you cannot fathom in the darkest recesses of your mind what will befall Bianca before I let her die."

Alexander's heart had never been darker, than it was in this moment. So driven by anger and jealousy was he that all hopes of any light bringing to life the innocent boy was all but gone. His eyes bore into hers angrily, "You are mine," he breathed.

The sound of shuffled feet and clanking armor announced the return of his guard and the girls. Alexander shot to his feet and yanked Quilicia up with him by the arm. Practically dragging her, he walked toward the girls as he spoke, "Princess Quilicia swears that she did not see prince Micaiah. Is that so?"

The girls nodded quietly and bowed respectfully. Alexander immediately felt all the more angry as embarrassment flooded him. His eyes flicked from Quilcia, who undoubtedly was going to bruise from his iron grip. In his jealous rage he had made a fool of himself now someone ended end to suffer.

Alexander's eyes shifted from Bianca and the two girls. Then he moved with speed no one thought he possessed. Reaching down, he drew the sword of the nearest soldier and turned to the women. With a growl, he lunged and drove the blade into the chest of the nearest woman, one of the servant girls. Blood soaked the young girl's body as she fell to floor. The remaining servant screamed as she struggled to get away.

With the blood soaked blade in his hand, he took Quilicia once again by the hair and forced her to the ground so she could watch the girl die, "See what you've done! Your disobedience cost this young girl her life. This is your fault. If it happens again," he swung the blade and pointed toward Bianca, drops of blood splattered onto the nurse, "I will kill her."

Alexander let her go and stood up. Calm suddenly washed over him as he handed the sword back. He had killed his first person without a blink and it was a girl barely in her twenties, "She was attacked and we arrived just after. The man got away," his eyes shifted to all the eyes including Bianca and Quilicia, "Everyone understand?"

• Love
There was no end to Alexander's madness. Right before Quil's eyes, the darkness that her gift allowed her to see, grew deeper and darker. Her tears fell harder as he called for the servant girls. Now, more innocent lives were being pulled into this fiasco. Quilica didn't know what to do. Mentally, she called out to Vel in hopes that she could do something to stop this situation before someone dies.

But Vel's spirit felt far away, distant but not by the distance of space. Quil could feel it - Vel was weak, hurting from her sorrows. That's when the young princess realized that this has probably been the first time she's ever felt such horrific emotional pain. Vel's not strong enough to handle so much... After her conversation with Prince Micaiah, she had emptied of far too much energy. She now rest in the stables, too weak and detached from her friend's voice.

"Have I not given you everything you could want? Do you not see that anything you could ever want is in my reach?"

"I have, Alex! Please, don't do this... I haven't done you wrong!"

"Do not ruin your chance at true happiness over a stupid boy. You'd better be telling the truth, or by the Gods Quilicia, you cannot fathom in the darkest recesses of your mind what will befall Bianca before I let her die. You are mine," he breathed.

Again, another lock was place upon her chains.

The two assistants arrived, and Alexander stood to his feet and walked across the garden towards them, literally dragging Quil along by her wrist. She tried to stay in step, tried to pry his fingers from around her stretched wrist, but the length of her after hour dress tripped her up far too many times to allow for any such release. When he stopped, she was able to regain her footing and continued to fight Alex's hand. "Alex...please, let me go! You're hurting me...

"Princess Quilicia swears that she did not see prince Micaiah. Is that so?"

The girls nodded quietly and bowed respectfully.

"See, I spoke the truth to you." Quilicia took a deep breath to calm her tears. "I will never lie, not even to you. There's no need when I didn't do anything wrong."

Bianca shook her head slowly, trying to catch Quil's attention. She knew her little princess well; her mouth, if not harnessed, can lead her into worse trouble than she's already in. Or, become trouble for someone else. Before anyone could stop him, or register what the man was about to do, Alexander snagged the sword from one of the guards and plunged it into the chest of the nearest assistant.

"NOOO!" All the ladies there gasped and cried out, watching as the young maid's eyes glazed over with confusion and pain. Quickly, they lifted to the sky as her knees buckled and she fell to the ground, struggling to take the only breath she had left.

"Lanette!" The other assistant tried to run for her life, but the guards would not allow. She instead fell to the girl's side, trying to do what she could to ease her final moments. Bianca stood frozen, for she feared this... she feared Quilicia falling into the hands of such anger. And unfortunately, her status as her Governess didn't give her enough clout to stop this. Not in this household...

Quil's seen death before - with animals meant for slaughter. But she's never seen a person's life swiped off the earth right before her eyes before. The blood that covered the grass, pooling around the girl, made Quil's stomach turn. She turned away, crying in remorse for being so weak. Alexander grabbed her hair and jerked her to the ground. She fell harshly upon her hands and knees, right over the face of her maid. The potent smell of fresh blood was stronger there, causing her to cough in between tears.

"See what you've done! Your disobedience cost this young girl her life. This is your fault. If it happens again," he swung the blade and pointed toward Bianca, drops of blood splattered onto the nurse, "I will kill her."

All she could do was close her eyes. This was the end of her life. Her fiancee was determined to have her, all of her, heart and soul. Either she needed to find a way to be all he wanted her to be, or end her life before other lives were lost.

Alexander let her go and stood up. She slowed down her tears as she sat up, head lowered as she watched the young girl's eyes fall in shade. As Alexander reposed himself to create a new story for this event, Bianca quickly moved to Quilicia's side as she slowly tried to stand to her feet. She was flush, and emotionally weakened by everything. She leaned against the older woman for she could legs could barely support her.

"We'll get out of this, sweet Leonni," her Governess whispered, "I promise."

"She was attacked and we arrived just after. The man got away," his eyes shifted to all the eyes including Bianca and Quilicia, "Everyone understand?"

"Yes, M'Lord," Bianca responded, lifting Quil's chin up for her so she could acknowledge his command.

"Yes... M'Lord..."

Bianca cautiously requested to carry Quilicia back to her room to prepare for bed. She needed to attend to her spirit more than anything else.

Alexander granted permission for Quilicia's departure with her governess. He was fairly certain that after these events, he had gotten his point across. He was confident the young girl would be more obedient despite the fact that in this situation she had been honest. His own pride had driven him to murder this girl.

Alexander moved to his room and closed the door behind him. A night to relax and unwind would help the prince to recollect his thoughts. He was going to need more of an elaborate story to pass off the girls death. A clearer head would help him think.

A few hours passed when his door was suddenly thrown open. Alexander spun around and was surprised to see the anger in his father's eyes, "You foolish boy," his mother entered after his father spoke and quickly shut the door, "You murdered an innocent girl on our castle grounds?"

Alexander shook his head, "No, father, Quilicia and I were taking a walk-"

A swift hand flew through the air and caught the rig side of his face. It stung like hell and sent Alexander crashing into the desk beside him, "That may work for those who have to obey you but don't you dare take me as a fool, boy."

Alexander straightened up, his hand covered his face and his eyes were a mixture of hatred, shock and anger. His eyes flicked to his mother and he wondered why she hadn't moved. Then he saw it, the same look burned in her eyes. Looking back at his father, he started again, "You told me to break her!" He yelled, "Well I did!"

"I told you to condition her. You crushed her! on top of that, you killed one of your own people! What will the people think if they were ever informed of your act? How do you think the soldiers feel that witnessed your heinous act?" His father pinched the bridge of his nose and turned to his wife when Alexander only shifted defiantly, "You need Quilicia to rule with you, not just be a decoration. She cannot do that if you crush her in the process."

Alexander saw the wisdom in his father's comment but was to angry to agree, "I did what you said."

His father turned to slap him again but his mother placed a soft hand on his shoulder, "Love," that one word was enough to still him.

"I've got to fix this," his father spoke.

Alexander felt bad for th damage he had done, "Let me."

"No," a hand dismissed the thought carelessly, "No, you'll just ruin it all the more."
------
Alexander spent the remainder o the evening alone thinking about all his father had said. He was right. If he crushed Quilicia, she would be no good to him. He needed to her to be a good ruler not a fearful one. The next day, his father called a gathering and explained the murder away. Like his son, he blamed it on a random attack but included a more diplomatic approach.

Alexander stood outside Quilicia's door. The princess and her governess had been excused from the gathering for the sake of everything they had seen. With a knock he waited for the door to open and when it did, he passed a message on to Quilicia through a servant, "Tell princess Quilicia, nothing is required of her today. Tell her that I insist she stay in her room and rest. Yesterday was a harsh day for her."
-----
"Can you believe it?" Micaiah asked Francis, "more importantly, do you believe it?" Anything that was associated to Alexander and was dark he automatically tied it to the crown prince, "Quilicia stumbled upon a dying woman? Who would be idiotic enough to kill someone during such a gathering? All the kingdom's are going to be on edge now praying that it wasn't any of theirs."

Micaiah shifted as he watched Alexander rejoin the rest of the gathering. He was alone. That meant that, theoretically, so was Quilicia. This may be his only chance to talk to her, but after everything that had happened, could, would she even be able to speak?

Vel? If you can hear me, can you get me to Quilicia? She is not attached to her warden. It's now or never.

• Love
That night, while Bianca bathed and dressed her little princess, Quilicia went through fits of heartfelt cries, to whimpers, and back to gloomy tears the entire time until she was so exhausted she passed out before her Governess was able to get her to her bed. The remaining assistant, Augusta, helped Bianca carry her to bed, tucking her in and checking over her once more before leaving for the night. Bianca feared leaving her, remained sitting at bedside.

"Oh, my Goddess, what has happened?" Vel, fully recovered after passing out at the stables, stepped out of the shadows in her human form. Bianca startled at her voice, but quickly recovered when she realized who now rushed to Quil's side with tears of her own.

Standing, she rubbed Vel's shoulders with a sigh, "Prince Alexander...he's broken our sweet princess to a point of no return." She explained all that had happened, which only caused the guardian to feel ten times worse than when she was depleted of her energy.

"Oh, Bianca! I wore myself out attempting to help Prince Micaiah reach her."

"What do you mean?" Bianca pulled the young woman over to sit with her at the round table near the fireplace.

"I spoke with the Prince of her heart and carried him to the library for him to see for himself what we've known all along - that Prince Alexander's an evil sorts. He's determined to speak to her, but I feared what damage that might cause Quil. So, instead of fulfilling his wishes then, I created a bond with him... I didn't realize what such magic would do to me, nor did I understand the power of Quil's emotions. Both entities wore me out - I ended up passing out in the stables. If... if I didn't overexert myself, perhaps I could have stopped him from..." She looked over at Quilicia with a face of shame. "She shouldn't be in this state... I wasn't at my post!"

Bianca grabbed her hand for a motherly squeeze, smiling from ear to ear, "Vel, you've done more than you think. I believe you've done the one thing possible that can save us all!"

The morning came faster than the two women cared for. Bianca slept beside Quilicia with Vel at guard, watching them both - unable to rest. When the light began to shine through the splits of the thick curtains, Bianca was up for her daily routine in calling for the princess' breakfast, requesting her own as well to be sent to the room. Vel passed out around that time, falling asleep in a soft furry ball of blue fur with her thick tail wrapped around her. The fire kept her warm until it fell asleep as well, but she woke up for a little while to awaken it to keep the morning nip out of the room.

While Bianca attempted to wake the princess up for the day, only gaining a mumble and a stir as a response, there was a knock at the door. Vel's ears shot up with concern. She lifted her head, looked around, and quickly faded away before Bianca reached the door.

"Who's there?"

"It's Tabitha. I have a message from Prince Alexander."

Bianca frowned. Tabitha was one of the kitchen servants; what was she doing there? She opened the door for the girl to relay the message. Thanking her, she closed the door with a sigh, "Perhaps, he's come to understand his mistakes, holding regret? That will be a miracle. But for her to not be at his side during this occasion is rather a poor move before such a collection. I do believe there's something we're missing here..."

Vel returned to sight, sitting up with a stretch and extending her mind to the older woman. I'll go make my rounds and see if I can learn of the Prince's intentions.

"I'll remain here to make sure Quil wakes and eats. She needs nourishment just as much as rest."

Vel nodded and was about to return to the shadows, her mind was bombarded by a new connection. Vel? If you can hear me, can you get me to Quilicia? She is not attached to her warden. It's now or never.

Bianca watched as the creature solidified with a question on her big blue eyes. "Vel, what is wrong?"

It's Prince Micaiah! He's requesting me to bring him to Quil! Reading his connection with her, her little form gasped and began to bounce around the room with excitement, causing Bianca to step back to avoid a collision. Prince Alexander and the Royal family are in the presence of their guest. That means no one will be here with Quil for a while.... There's time!

With excitement, Bianca rushed forward towards Quil's bed. "Well then, do what you do best, Vel. I'll try to wake her up!"

Prince Micaiah, do pardon me, but I shall do as you wish. She left the room in silence, only to land beside Prince Micaiah's feet in an invisible form. She wanted to be sure he was not in mix company. M'Lord, is it safe for me to be seen? We must find a safer place to transport.

Micaiah was surprised by Vel's quick appearance and jumped slightly. The teenage prince gathered himself quickly before he looked like a fool jumping at shadows. Excusing himself from his fiancé, Micaiah made his way toward the hall that led toward the exit for the outhouse and quickly stepped into a separate room when he was out of sight.

"Okay, Vel, I'm ready," he nodded with determination and took in a deep breath as the creature stepped I out of the shadows and into view, "You can take me to Quilicia now? You've got to, Vel, I cannot bare the thought of her broken heart. I did not sleep well last night and I fear that my nightmares have merit. You must take me to her."

Vel tried to calm the young prince but instead of calming him, he ust grew all the more impatient, "Prince Micaiah, you must collect yourself. The princess is fragile and your words are what could save her."

The weight of Vel's words hit him and he took in a deep breath, "You're right," he took only a few more minutes to collect himself and then nodded, "Let's go."

Th trip was just as dizzying as it was the first time after Vel took a hold of him and passed me into the shadows. They moved swiftly throw the castle unnoticed and then through Quilicia's door. When they stopped, Micaiah felt like vomiting but held it in. He gripped Vel's arm to steady himself and when he looked up, he caught sight of Bianca trying to stir Quilicia and immediately his heart broke. He had never thought Quilicia to be one to be so hard to stir seeing ashow energetic she was during the day. However, it seemed that Quilicia had been destroyed.

"Bianca?" The prince asked as he started toward the bed. Looking down at the unmoving princess, he saw everything he had fallen in love with..well almost everything. Her hair splayed about her head in a blonde halo despite everything she was suffering through. Her slender fram and perfectly symmetric face stirred everything within him he had tried so desperately to suppress. His heart thumped against his chest as he recalled the beautiful girl he had fallen so hard for and then broke at the idea that anyone would seek to destroy that. A single tear fell telling him that he had been unaware of what was happening.

Bianca had moved and Micaiah had walked to the side of the bed, "Quilicia?" He whispered as if stirring her would be waking a goddess. Hesitantly he placed a hand gently on her face and brushed loose hair from her cheek. It was the first time since her birthday he had touched her and electricity passed through his body and made his heart skip a beat and caught his breath in his throat. There was only one thing he could think to do and it was absent of all words. Against everything, Micaiah leaned down and....

Kissed her soft cheek. Would that be enough to stir her from her slumber?

• Love
Her night's dreams were filled with death and pain, raising mournful cries to her lips while she slept. That morning, she rested silently for the sun seemed to cause those demons to flee. When Bianca attempted to arouse her, Quilicia could feel her touch, and barely see her through half opened eyes, but the energy required to open them or speak had vanished with her will to go on. She was drained - only holding onto breath and hoping to regain a purpose to drive her through the nightmares she lives within her days.

Alexander's voice echoed repeatedly in her mind - a mental reminder of all the rules and consequences she must abide to now. She needed to memorize them, etch them in her soul - anything to avoid losing someone else.

"Quilicia?"

A voice spoke her name in the distance, but she could not answer. Then a touch of breeze touched her cheek. She stirred. A memory she's watched delightfully for many years suddenly blinked into focus, showing her a little girl running in her finest beside an older young boy - both hoping to reach the finish line first. She mumbled and her head tilted slightly.

Then, the most softest touch in the world fell upon her cheek like a feather. It felt like love and worry all mixed up in one, but there was something so familiar also within that caused her eyes to flutter along with her heart. She began to breath deeper as a single tear traced down the side of her face.

It's just a dream... Her shattered mind sighed, but her heart disagreed. Open your eyes as prove it first.

"M...Mic...aiah..." she mumbled softly as she frowned.

"Hello," he whispered and lowered himself to his knees, "Quilicia," he smiled ever so faintly, "You must wake up, my love," his voice never left a whisper, "You cannot do this. You are better than this," Micaiah brushed her messy hair from her face and smiled again. His heart beat skipper and he leaned closer, "Quilicia, open your eyes and look at me. I am here."

Micaiah sighed and looked up at Vel and Bianca. His face reddened ever so slightly as he thought of other ways to encourage her to open her eyes. He cleared his throat knowing that what he had finally settled on was a violation to all his promises. It was a line he was about to cross in cultural standards. In this moment, Micaiah had to weigh his options. His eyes fell on Quilicia once more and, in that moment, he accepted his fate.

Micaiah knew he would never stop loving Quilcia. He knew that despite all the promises, all the fated decisions, and all the evil he could not erase that. He could not reject it. Leaning toward her once again, he kissed her lips ever so softly. His eyes slid shut and enjoyed that kiss. It was almost everything he had ever thought it would be. Almost. Had she kissed him back, he was sure it would be exactly like the one that haunted all his dreams.

When her eyes finally fluttered open after he broke the kiss, he smiled and whsipered yet again, "There you are," he brushed her hair from her face again.

Micaiah gave her a moment to understand that he was there for real, "I need you to know something. I need you to hear that I have never stopped loving you. I love you still. You need to fight against Alexander. Do not let him break you. You are too good for that."

Micaiah sighed, "What he's doing, what he has done to you, it's not right and you know it inside. You are the proud princess of Biscanye. Only daughter to the King and Queen of that proud kingdom. And you are my heart, and the love of my life. Nothing will ever change that. Quilicia, I promise you I will do everything in my power to save you, but you have to promise me something. Do not give up. Can you promise me that?"

His eyes searched hers reflecting the softness that carried his voice. He had promised to not pursue this love, but after seeing her in such a state, to ignore her anymore would be a crime. He could not reject this love, nor did he wish to do so anymore. Until his wedding day, he would remain ever vigilant as he searched for a way for the two of them to be together.

"Quilicia, I love you."

That voice...it's the one I was told to avoid, but....it's the one I'm desperate to find again.

"Quilicia, open your eyes and look at me. I am here."

Conflicting emotions kept her locked in the state she's in, but something so powerful graced her soul and broke through the haze of fear holding her down. A flood of memories slammed into her subconscious, recognizing the similarities of that touch to the one and only she'd shared so long ago. She took a deep, well deserved breath, and her eyes fluttered until they opened with focus.

"There you are."

Quilicia blinked in a haze of disbelief, trying to sit up as she mumbled, but her head was spinning. "Micaiah! You're...you're here!" She wasn't sure if she should run and hide, scream for help, or hug him with everything she's got.

"I need you to know something. I need you to hear that I have never stopped loving you." She began to rapidly breath, fearing hearing those words. "I love you still. You need to fight against Alexander."

"Noo, I - I can't..."

"Do not let him break you. You are too good for that."

Quil's mind was in a panic. Her fear in Alexander was only because she feared for her friends and family, what he might do to them if he learns of any wrong doing on her part. "This is...this is dangerous! He'll find out... he'll punish me by killing someone else! I - I can't see you! He'll find out!"

Vel turned into her cat form and on Quil's free side, purring and attempting to give energy to her friend to clear her mind. She could feel all the agonizing emotions the young woman was feeling and how they effected her.

Micaiah sighed, "What he's doing, what he has done to you, it's not right and you know it inside." Quil continued to mumble to herself, shaking her head with her eyes lowered.

"You are the proud princess of Biscanye. Only daughter to the King and Queen of that proud kingdom. And you are my heart, and the love of my life. Nothing will ever change that." She stopped, glancing up slightly, cautiously, to look at Micaiah - to fully, clearly take his presence with her eyes.

"Quilicia, I promise you I will do everything in my power to save you, but you have to promise me something. Do not give up. Can you promise me that?"

She wasn't sure what she can or cannot do. Quil's heart was so lost, so scared... It tore Bianca's heart apart to see her like this. It tortured Vel as much as it did the princess, for no matter what magical tool she used, she could not break through the spell Alexander bounded her in. Micaiah held the only power strong enough to break any spell, but Quilicia's heart needed to awaken to it again.

"Quilicia, I love you."

As if the fog burned from her eyes, Quil's lips parted slightly into a smile. "Micaiah? Is that...really you?" Before he could answer, Quil immediately raised up and wrapped her arms around his neck with a cheerful laugh. "I can't believe you're here!" Then, she lowered her voice, "They listen through the walls...shhh."

Micaiah was relieved when Quilicia seemed to fully awaken. The princess rough her arms around his neck and joyfully call for him. It brought a smile to his lips that quickly faded as she retreated into a light paranoia. His frown was not in her comment but in the substantial damage Alexander had managed to do to the most beautiful of minds. He had broken it, almost to the point that Micaiah would be unsure of his own ability to rescue her. Almost.

Pulling back slightly, he shook his head, "No one is listening, Quilicia. It's just you, Bianca, Vel and I. Do not fret. I'll not let him harm you anymore. There's nothing he can do to make us stop loving each other."

Micaiah stood up and reached to pull Quilicia up with him, "I am so sorry I did not stop him sooner. I thought it best to fill our respective roles. I thought that you would be better with Alexander and that it would be more honorable of me to marry Francis."

He looked down and locked eyes with the blonde beauty, "But I was wrong, Quil, I was wrong. There is no honor in living a lie. There is no honor in surrendering you to a fate worse than death. You deserve someone who loves you and it is not Alexander. I love you. It should be me."

Looking toward Quilicia's governess he smiled and his cheeks reddened slightly. He had never confessed out loud his feelings for Quilicia but it was needed. Turning his attention back to her, he made a promise that would be very difficult to fulfill bite would strive to do so, "I will do whatever I can to change what the fates have planned for us. Will you fight with me?"

• Love
As Micaiah spoke, Quilicia seemed to be dancing within a silly six year old's dream, but Vel worked her magic to slowly, step by step, she made her way through the fog blocking Quil's mind from reality. This time, she found the grey of depression and suppression and washed from her eyes, from her skin and hair, from the blood pumping sadly through her heart for so long; Quil's eyes registered Micaiah's voice and lifted with clarity before they filled with tears.

"Micaiah...,"

"...I thought that you would be better with Alexander and that it would be more honorable of me to marry Francis."

Overcome by the sight of her love standing before her in her room, Quil's hands seized his forearms, holding on tightly as she continued to listen to him - almost doubtful that what she saw was really him.

He looked down and locked eyes with the blonde beauty, and the look of pure love within his eyes proved to her that she stood before the real thing. "But I was wrong, Quil, I was wrong. There is no honor in living a lie. There is no honor in surrendering you to a fate worse than death. You deserve someone who loves you and it is not Alexander. I love you. It should be me. I will do whatever I can to change what the fates have planned for us. Will you fight with me?"

Tears quietly fell from her eyes, and she raised a hand to gently touch his face. "I'll do...whatever you want me to, Micaiah.... Oh, Micaiah!" She fell into his arms, finally letting everything go. Ignoring all traditions of proper etiquette between young men and women, Quilicia looked deeply into Micaiah's eyes and drew him in to place her longing lips upon his once again. She held that kiss as if her life depended on it - only to pull back with a bashful grin. "I knew I felt those lips pressing against mine in my dreams... They're the only lips my heart knows."

• Love
Quilicia kissed him.

The act stunned him even though he had just done the same. He had always imagined a time when the young princess would care enough for him to do such a thing, but in her fiancé's castle? The thought brought a smirk to his face and his arms snaked around her in an embrace after she had spoken. The scent of her hair was welcomed as he took in a deep breath before speaking, "I had to do something drastic, Quilicia. What Alexander had done had put you in a stupor of the worst kinds."

Micaiah pulled away and looked down out her. His hand landed on her cheek softly and caressed the smooth skin beneath his thumb, "I saw you," he glanced toward Vel and then back to Quilicia, "I saw you broken in the library. It was in that moment I knew that everything I had purposed to accomplish was wrong. I could nOT pretend to not care about you. I could not pretend that Alexander was not harming you. I had to see you despitemy father's orders."

A small chuckle accompanied his smile, "No one will understand this," a solemn expression fell over him, "No one can know. They will separate us for sure. If that were to happen, there would be no chance of fixing all of this," Micaiah dropped his hands to his side and looked over all the others that were with them, "No one can know. If you all care about any of this, you cannot tell anyone."

Once they agreed, he turned his attention back to the princess, "Now, Quilicia, what has Alexander done to you? As much as I do not want to know, I must so that we might figure out a way to combat him and finally break this fool's arrangement. Has he threatened you? Struck you? Has he-," Micaiah was old enough to know what was forbidden to share until one's wedding night. He also knew that there were men, no monsters, that did not allow for such a thing. Those men believed they could take whatever they pleased without consequence. His eyes flicked to Bianca just in case the princess had not quite known what he meant. She was still young, but perhaps because of the amount of time she spent at Alexander's castle, her father might have stressed the importance of her virtue.

• Love
"I saw you broken in the library."

Quil's eyes widened, and she looked away almost embarrassed that he saw her in that state. "But...how?"

"Ah, my sweet sister-friend," Vel stepped up, turning into her human form - the first time Quil's ever seen her dear friend in such a state. "I took the liberty of helping Prince Micaiah, doing what you fear to do yourself. Please, forgive me for disobeying you," she bowed respectfully.

Quil was shocked at seeing her little furry friend transform into one of the very handmaidens she's considered a friend for a very long time. She smiled and shook her head, "No, Vel... Don't apologize. You, of all beings, know my heart. You did...the only thing that can be done. Thank you."

"It was in that moment I knew that everything I had purposed to accomplish was wrong." Micaiah continued, "I could not pretend to not care about you. I could not pretend that Alexander was not harming you. I had to see you despite my father's orders."

"You're doing this...against your father's orders?" Now, Quil was really worried, for that placed him in a dangerous state as well.

If anyone learned of our meeting tonight...

"...They will separate us for sure. If that were to happen, there would be no chance of fixing all of this," Micaiah dropped his hands to his side and looked over all the others that were with them, "No one can know. If you all care about any of this, you cannot tell anyone."

"You already hold bond with my, M'Lord," Vel announce, stepping forward, "Therefore, I shall always hold your best interest at heart. My words are sealed." Quil was shocked to hear Vel's pledge, realizing just how much she must have revealed to Micaiah about herself to do what she has done.

Bianca stepped forward to stand beside Vel, dabbing her handkerchief against her wet cheeks, "The same as I, M'Lord. You hold my Leonni's heart in your hands; therefore, I shall do all I can to keep it so, even if it cost me my life." Quil frowned and was about to say something, but her Governess' eyes held hers with so much love and understanding, she held her place and just nodded. Those eyes were the same ones that held her down that very day, when arrows targeted the older woman's heart.

"Now, Quilicia..." She turned her attention back to Micaiah. "What has Alexander done to you? As much as I do not want to know, I must so that we might figure out a way to combat him and finally break this fool's arrangement. Has he threatened you? Struck you? Has he-,"

When he glanced at Bianca, she gave him a knowing raised brow and a shake of her head. Unfortunately, she's expressed preserving her purity, but in the form of such intimacy has not been a discussion they've had of late. Even Vel's head shook, for she spoke to Quil of certain matters...but left the birds and the bees for Bianca's doing. With all the extra work they're forced to do in this household for her ad Prince Alexander, neither one of them has had free time to sit down and discuss particular topics of choice and maidenhood.

"He's...hit me," Quil stated, "Threatened to use his influences and his father's armies against my kingdom and family... Today, he threatened Bianca's life, but took another innocent one instead." Her eyes whelped with tears once more, but she held them at bay. The thought of that poor girl... She took a deep breath and continued on, "But... of anything other threats; no, there aren't any more." She wasn't sure if there were any others forms of force one could use to torture and manipulate another.

Taking Micaiah's hand, Quil's face folded in urgency, "Please, tell my father what's happening here... But encourage him not to make a move - just prepare. If Alexander learns or foresees that my parents know about what he's done to me, the threats he's made, he'll take it out on me...and those close to me that I hold dear." She looked down at their perfect hands, "I - I don't care what he does to me; I'll fight to the end if I can. But, my family...my friends... my people... They can't fall to the hands of such dark intent."

Status
Not open for further replies.