The Thrill is In the Chase, Never In the Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arthur raised his hand dismissively, and looked to Alec with a breezy smile.
"Oh, it's fine, really. I needed the day off anyway. These monsters've been running me ragged. I swear, I've seen more action this week than most hunters see in a month. Oh well, I guess it'll be a bit easier now, huh?"
Arthur stopped a few moments after speaking, before deciding to take a left. A woman stood at an anvil, pounding away at a glowing lump of metal, though she seemed too preoccupied to notice the pair. "This here's our forge. I'm sure you know what goes on here. Just out of curiosity, though, what's that bow you're using? Its name's on the tip of my tongue."

Alec nodded when he was taken to the forge. 'Wow, a woman as a forger? That's new to me.' He thought before he registered what his partner said. "Oh," He said as he pulled out his bow, unfolding it. "This is the Arko Nulo R. It's one of the three elemental Bnahabra bows. This one is Fire, the W is Ice, and the Y is Lightning." He eplained. "I have the other two back with the rest of my stuff on the ship." He said. "It's good to have a wide array of the elemental bows when you're a primary solo archer." He said.

Arthur frowned at Alec trying to keep his voice down so that he wouldn't be heard above the noise of the forge.
"I'm... Not even going to comment on how sexist that sounded."
His expression, however, changed to one of interest as Alec told him about his bows. He held his chin, looking pensive, and then spoke. "Ah yes, the Bownabras. I remember those. A partner of mine used them - surprisingly powerful, they were, considering it was made using insect parts. As for me, I usually go for long swords. Long and wide range, powerful combos, and they pack quite a punch without it. But look at me, chatting away. Shall we move on?"

Alec's eyes widened. "Oh, no! I didn't mean it like that! I'm just surprised ot see it! All of the Smiths I've seen have been male! It's actually cool that a woman would take up a job that is stereotypically seen as manly. It's quite inspiring, actually." He said hastily, trying to not make himself sound like a terible person. Alec nodded at the other's comment. "yeah. I'm ready to go on whenever." He said, a small smile gracing his lips, not being as tense as he was when he first got here. "I do find it useful to work along side a long sword user. And a partner of yous? Did you have another help you before I got here?" He asked.

Arthur simply shrugged indifferently at Alec's defence.
"If you say so." He added, his voice distinctly noncommittal. It wasn't that he didn't care - it was just that it wasn't worth making much more fuss over. He did, however, raise an eyebrow when he was asked about having previous partners.
"Oh, nothing special," he said, ambling along leisurely, "Just the standard one-off affairs. On quieter weeks, I'd spend some time hunting in different areas. I've been to loads of places - the tundra, sandy plains... Didn't much like the flooded forest, though. Too many insects, and I got mud all down the inside of my favourite armour set. It took me weeks to get the smell out... But yeah, me and a guild-assigned partner'd usually go hunting for a few days together, and then go our separate ways. What about you? Had many partners before me?"

Alec just shrugged. "Not 'partners.' Just people I was sent to work with on guild-assigned missions. I haven't been sent out on any partner missions like this. I've always hunted with a full party of four, or just me. Not just one person. No people to relly call 'partners.' They were just one-time allies, practically." He said. "this is my first time with an actual partner." He eplained. "And I happen to love the flooded forest." He said with a small smile. Lots of cover for me and my arrows." He said. "Tundra na dDesert aren't really my favorite. I hate such extreme tempuratures.' he said.

Arthur nodded apprehensively at Alec's responses. Despite their nature, however, Arthur seemed strangely pensive about them. This would only serve to surprise most when he suddenly seemed to snap to attention when they were at their next destination.
"Hi Arthur!" the two at the counter called, waving to him. Arthur waved back, and walked over to them.
"Hello, guys. I'd like to introduce you to my new partner - Alec. Alec, these guys run the shop. Lesley - on the left - does general groceries. If you're looking for hunting supplies, like whetstones and herbs, ask Joe, on the right."
Arthur then whispered to Alec, so that the twins wouldn't her - y the way they were giggling, however, some would say they already knew.
"If you really want to have some fun, guess which one's the brother and which one's the sister."

They were identical twins.

Alec smiled kindly and nodded towards them. "It's a pleasure to meet you." He said politely. He listned to what Arthur was saying before his eyes widened for a moment, and then his brows furrowed together. "Huh?" He asked. He was generally confused. "But... aren't they...?" he asked, voice trailing off as he had the most dumbfounded look on his face. He looked as if he fell into some deep thought, lookeing between the twins and back to Arthur. "...Huh?' He asked again.

The twins - both quite feminine, even by the strictest standards - looked to each other before giggling profusely.
"Do you want me to tell him, guys?"
They both shook their heads in unison. Lesley spoke up, a mischievous grin present on him/her.
"The answer's actually more obvious than you think. Don't worry, we'll tell you if you give up, but we think you'll be quite surprised."
"Arthur rubbed the back of his head, and spoke with what seemed like a rather tired tone.
"Come on, he's just gotten off the oat. Give him a chance."
They shook their heads. He was on his own.

alec was still very confused. "uh... Uh..." He stuttered out as he looked back and forth between the twins. 'Surprised? Uh..." He though in his mind. "Umm... Is it... ...Joe?" He asked. He was soooooo confused right now. thinking didn't mi well afte getting off of a boat who's captain seemed like he was drunk off of his ass the whole time. "I give..." He mumbled out, his head was starting to hurt.

Arthur couldn't stop himself from chuckling, and the twins couldn't stop themselves from giggling either.
"The truth is," Joe said through his/her giggles, "We're both actually the same gender."
"And if you think that's a dirty trick," Lesley added, "Consider this - we're both guys."
Arthur clamped his hand on Alec's shoulder. His grin was the widest it'd been all day - he was obviously enjoying himself. He didn't see why anyone wouldn't. It was just a bit of harmless fun, after all.
"Come on then, Alec. let's go. I've still got to show you the Slop Shop."

Alec's face got even more confused. "Uh... I... Uh..." He stuttered, his brwoes were still furrowed together in confusion and his mouth was agape. "I... Uh..." He started before he sighed and shook his head. "Okay. I'm ready. Just... No more fun... My head hurts..." He said. He couldn't help himself from chuckling nervously. "Ah... Sorry bout that." He said sheepishly. "Let's go. I'm ready for bed now..." He said. "Just, show me what you need too." He said. He was confused out of his mind and hejust wanted to fall asleep now.

Arthur pondered for a moment, and shrugged after.
"Yeah, it's getting a little late out, now that you mention it. Tell you what - I'll show you the slop shop, first thing tomorrow. Their breakfasts are simply to die for."
At what seemed like the mere thought of the Slop Shop's breakfast menu, Arthur seemed to grin like an idiot. All that was missing was a long strand of drool, and the image would be complete. He snapped back to reality soon enough, however.
"Anyway, let's go. The inn's not far form here."
Arthur led Alec towards said inn - its warm, orange glow was hard to miss.

Alec nodded and felt himself smile, finding it hard to keep himself from laughing at the look on Arthur's face.
"Alright, sounds like a plan." He said. He followed behind Arthur, looking ahead to the warm glow of the inn. 'Ah.. Good. somwhere to sleep of the rest of this sea sickness.' He thought to himself as they neared it. "Thanks." He said to Arthur. He hoped that all of his stuff was taken to the inn... If not he'd have to lug it all from the docks. Sure, it wasn't a lot, but he was an archer. His muscles weren't that big.

Arthur was just about to speak, when a woman emerged from one of the back rooms, observing her two guests. She seemed jolly, but not in the way that the the elder did. Just like her in, she seemed warm, and inviting. The kind of person you could imagine being a mother, or a child's favourite aunt.
"Well, look what the Melynx dragged in! Arthur, I told you about bringing boys back late at night - you've got to share them with me!"
The two laughed briefly, and the inn keeper addressed Alec. "Sorry about that. An opportunity like that doesn't come around too often. Anyway, you must be the new hunter everyone's been buzzing about. Well, you must be tired by now, so I'll just bore you in the morning. Don't worry about your stuff, I've had some of my boys take care of that. You just get some rest, and e'll talk more in the morning."

Alec felt himself get wide-eyed for a moment before the lightest ting of pink dusted his cheeks, one that was easily missed. He then found himself chuckling a littl at how these two acted. He nodded and sighed in relief when he heard that his stuff was already taken to his room. "Yes. Thank you so much. " He said. He felt exhaustion and sleep wash over him. He nodded and began making his way towards the room he was to be staying in. "Thank you." He said to the innkeeper with a warm smile. He then turned to Arthur. "Thanks you, too." He said before he turned and retreated into his room.

Arthur was about to reply, but as Alec had began retreating to his room, he decided to just leave it. he had other arrangements to take care of as well, anyway.
"Sorry, could you fix me up something to drink? The Guild's buried me in paperwork..."
"Coming right up. Just don't stay up all night, eh? Don't want to look bad in front of the new kid."
"I think it's a little late for that."
Arthur settled down at a table, and a Felyne carried over the metric ton of sheets he needed to fill out. Some could be put off, but a lot of them had to be done soon.

Arthur cracked his knuckles, and knuckled down.

Alec had stripped of his bow and placed it net to his bed. He floped onto his bed and sighed in content. Teh bed was nice and soft. So much better than that one on the ship. His back was still hurtring from that. He flet hismelf quickly falling under the veil of sleep. He was very tired but was actually kind of ecited to go out and hunt tomorrow. 'Well, better sleep.; He thought to himself as he let unconciousness take him over.

Arthur woke the next morning with his head on the table, and a Felyne ambling round with a broom.
"Again...? Oh bum."
Evidently, this wasn't the first time he'd fallen asleep somewhere he'd rather not have. Luckily, he didn't ache that much, and he began stretching to get the morning out of him. Tired as he was, he was supposed to be going on a hunt with Alec, and he couldn't slip up in front of him. That aside, there were rumours of a group of great Jaggis nearby - and the torches would only keep them back for so long.

Alec woke and he happened to be quite well-rested. He yawned and got up, puting on all of his armor except for his helmet and he grabbed his fire bow. He was told that they would be fighting some Jaggi today, and everyone knows that Jaggis hate fire. He walked out of his room with a yawn. He stretched and walked back into the amin lobby. He noticed that Arthur was already there... Or he ehn't even left. "Hey." He said to Arthur as he neared the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.