The Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venna flashed a charming grin as she noticed that she had caught the Barkeep's attention, though he looked rather distraught and worn down. "No need to frown or concern yourself, good sir. I only request a large cup of water." She looked down at the handful of coins she placed on the counter, then back to the man, "And don't worry, I know water is free, those are for the time you allow me to stay here and perform in your establishment." She chimed. "I appreciate your crew, and an opportunity for business." She bowed her head, her eyes subtly wandering and scanning before she lifted it back up. There was a change in the air of the place, a shift in the mood. After she had waited for the man's response and replied accordingly, she politely ended her conversation with him and stood from her seat, walking yo a rough middle ground between the group of characters that had caught her interest as she played her song, and even after.

"Alright," she began, gesturing to the group to lend their attention to her for but a moment with small hands. "It seems to me that we all seek something. In my experience, it seems like, it can prove to be more beneficial to join together in a group." She turned towards the traitor elf, "I have travelled to many lands in this world, but something most people seem to have in common is a distaste for that mark you bear. Why not travel in a group to aid you in whatever it is you desire, perhaps share your story or redeem yourself, maybe even something completely unrelated, what matter is it?" She turned to the princess, "With all due respect, mi'lady" she courtseyed respectfully, only without a dress or skirt to hold on to, "You're away from the comfort of your castle and on your own seeking things you would only receive there in a run down inn such as this one for a reason. Judging by the reasoning behind that and the awkward demeanor tucked within, I can only imagine you seek something as well, even if just to prove a point. It seems that you're also accepted in this small party before you. Why not band together and receive even more than you're looking for?" Her gaze traveled to the marked elf, "You hold a mark I've seen in the past, and as every sort of mark in this land goes, some don't know or care, some will welcome you with open arms, and some will even try to kill you. Why not have some excitement in the way with even a small group who will experience triumph together and help you on your quest?" The older knight was next, "The armor you wear, proudly I'm sure considering you still wear it, has seen better and cleaner days. As a knight, don't you seek adventure? Justice? A cause?" Her hand motioned to the sword on his person, "When was the last time that wonderful weapon got to see anything outside of its sheath?" She then turned to the poor kanine that seemed to hide and shy away, "And what would a group be without a precious, beloved companion." She let out a soft sigh, scanning over the entire group.

"I also seek things myself. My point is, why not? I will tell you that I would love to see adventure and battle, solve puzzles, and help wherever possible with each and every one of you, not despite each of your standings and differences, but because of them. Imagine the tales that could come of it!" She smiled before she continued on, "I feel I've taken up enough of your time and attention." She gestured her hand with the locations she named, "I will either remain here, or upstairs, last room on the left in the first hall. I would love to speak with you if any of you at all, even just one, desires to." She took a low bow before returning to her seat to retrieve the water that hopefully waited for her return. "I thank all of you for your time." She finished, sitting down and folding one leg softly over the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xavier scoffed and looked at the drink the bartender put in front of him. "Thank you sir." He calmly says and places a few coins on the bar. He kept listening despite his scoff, he shook his head I'm looking for a place that I can not go back to, disgrace is disgrace. I was heaped it when I was charged with treason and sent away, treason I did not commit and sins that are not my own. He took his shot of alcohol without any complaint and shook his head again. "You are mistaken lass, I do not seek anything, my place is the road now, unless I am taken in by humans as a knight, which in itself is laughable as our races barely trust one another, I shall keep to the road. My blade is no more than a tool now, and my very being just a vessel wielding the tool. I am just to stupid to die is all." He disliked grandeur and speeches, and the fact this bard was spouting a lot of both made him itchy to leave, but he also knew that joining up with these people wasn't a bad idea, the old knight was someone he trusted, and the princess had defended him for which he should properly thank them.

He nods to the bard, ever the polite knight captain he is, and turns towards his defenders. "I feel that if I dally with this any longer I fear I shall offend the both of you, I am truly grateful you stepped in on my behalf." With this he stands up, and placing his right arm across his chest and bows to both of them. He then turns fully towards the princess "And M'lady I must thank you a second time for getting a room for me, but let me take care of expenses for them." He then turns towards Lenore, and places fifteen gold coins on the table "I thank you for the hospitality as well madam." He then makes his way back to his own seat, however he has turned himself towards the others now to maybe talk and get to know them.

Leecia_Moran_Portrait.jpg

INTERACTION : @ZellaKitty
MENTION : @Uneasy Goat @NewKingofDrangleic

[fieldbox="LEECIA MORAN, hotpink, dashed, 10, Georgia"]Leecia smiled and places some golds on the bar for the bar lady, but the elf refused her kindness and paid for the room himself. Huffed irritatingly, Leecia just let the elf to pay for himself and back to her seat. Leecia almost thought that her decision to go to this inn was a mistake, she didn't get anything or any guidance about where to go until the bard stood up and made a speech.

The bard mentioned several people who was indeed caught her eyes. Maybe it was fate or something, but Leecia refused to believe such things. This all was just a mere coincidence, nothing more. After she was finished, Leecia crossed her arms and squinted her eyes, Is she just guessing? But what she said was half true... Is she a spy or something? Father already knows where I am? Leecia rubbed her forehead nervously, then shook her head to throw away those negativity. Maybe Leecia could use this group to blend in with people, so her father couldn't find her.

Smiling with confidence, Leecia approach the bard, "Hello there, bard, nice speech back there, but one thing that you forgot, you didn't mention your name. It makes you less trustworthy you know," Leecia paused and leaned her body to the bar while her eyes still staring at the bard, "However, apart from that, I'm a little bit interested with your offer. You should be honored having a princess in your party."

Leecia smiled, not in a friendly way though, and back to her seat.
[/fieldbox]​

Rowen turned her attention to the bard-Elf when she addressed the room. So it was true that she had once seen the Gedwëy Ignasia, the Shining Palm. If she had seen the mark, then she saw a Rider. Rowen placed her hand on the emerald set into the pommel of her sword, a blade of emerald green, which was in its sheath under her cloak. It was a reassurance to her, a reminder of home and of the history of her people. Did the bard-Elf and the armor clad Elf share the same stories, or were they different? "Until I find what I am looking for, company will not be unwelcome." She said. "The Princess makes an excellent point. I believe at this point introductions are in order." Rowen said, scanning the room. "My name is Rowen Shadowmon. I bear many titles. Argetlam, Silver Hand, Shur'tugal. Rider, Dragon Rider. "

Roger realized as he began to survey the room, that he was far less concealed than he had originally assumed. He was in full view of everyone save for the barkeeper and chef. As he let his eyes slide down the row of stools surveying each occupant briefly, he found himself being stared at by a woman with red hair and an expression that somehow made him nervous. He quickly broke his line of sight and began to study the crack in the floorboards he was standing over, hoping her interest was only mere curiosity. In doing so, he missed seeing the friendly gesture from the Knight. His attention was quickly snapped back to the bar however as a pale woman who had odd ears stood up and gave a speech about forming a group and working together as a team etc. Roger may have had interest in what she was giving a speech about, but in reality his senses had been totally arrested by the smell of freshly spilled beer. He saw it laying in a puddle upon the floorboards past the 2 men with metal strapped to themselves. Roger hadn't had that delicious bitter liquid except for once as a young dog and while he had been scolded then, he still remembered the wonderful feeling of relaxation it had given him, and in this moment, he felt the risk was acceptable. This was especially true given the fact nobody had ordered any Rabbit stew, and there was no chance of scraps coming from the chef, he could count on that. He waited until the woman with the blonde hair had sat down again, and trotted with his head down towards the puddle. As he approached, a single drop of water ran down his forhead and into his ear. Now, Roger admittely did not shake dry as much as he should have outside, and as he did now he inadvertently hit the man the locals called "Frederick" with a fine mist of wet dog moisture, yet did not notice and greedily began to drink the alcohol left on the boards.

Last edited:
As Lenore and Anders did their best to hide their discontent with the current residents, they took the gold from the counter and continued to serve drinks. Frederick had his drink refilled, Lenore hoped he would keep it off the floor this time. Frederick felt a light mist of water hit him, and he saw that the dog had decided to shake off right next to him. His face turned red and he furrowed his brow as he raised the newly filled mug of ale and brought it down heavy on the dog's back, "I'll kill ye, ye feckin' mutt!"

Anders almost leapt over the bar and stood in front of the wet dog, protecting him. They exchanged glances and Anders pointed to the door, suddenly more intimidating that it seemed possible for this mouse of a man to be. Frederick smiled half-heartedly and started towards the door, finishing his drink in the process and leaving it on a vacant table. Stepping out into the light drizzle outside, he took shelter underneath a small overhang and lit a cigarette he had fashioned himself. He inhaled deeply, gazing off into the coming darkness with feigned thoughtfulness, and realizing that the sound of thunder was coming closer. He hoped it wasn't going to start raining heavily again.

He ignored the bard elf for a moment before looking up at her his eye's vacant and hollow. "Let me tell you a tale girly, their was once a bright innocent young man who yearned for adventure while his dream was to be a knight but not just any knight he wanted to be a holy knight for his God and he trained and trained as to become the best squire in his generation." *He stood now while the light of the place seemed to almost dim* "He accomplished his dream of becoming a holy knight at only 19 years old the youngest ever in his land and it looked as if he was going to have a bright future, while this young knight lived in bliss to the south another culture, another religion was peacefully going about life spreading it's teachings but this did not sit well with the leaders of the young knights religion who were more concerned with their own power and wealth and saw this culture to the south as a threat so they told their followers that these innocent people to the south were monsters and wanted nothing but their deaths and destruction and when they felt the fear and hate was high they declared a holy war. Now this young knight being the faithful man he was answered the call to go fight these heretics to the south and he along with 50,000 other young men went south and laid siege to the southern lands but this young knight noticed that they were not fighting monsters as his leaders had said or even soldiers but peasants and farmers armed with pitchforks, crude clubs and other tools, this war lasted for many years and with each passing one the knight who was now 27 years old questioned his leaders and his faith now at this point their march south had ground to a halt with the losses of the northern forces mounting. The knight truly founds the horrid truth a month later when he was lost beyond the lines of the northern forces without food or water but was found by two brothers who had lost their parents at the beginning of the war once the same age as the knight and the other only 9 but instead of killing the knight in revenge they took him in and nursed him back to health using their own limited resources and when he was healthy again and was to leave one of the younger brother gave the knight a star pendant *as he said this he pulled the star pendant out from underneath his armor and let it hand loosely* the star represented peace in their religion and was an important symbol of friendship. Only a week later the knight found the two brothers crucified upside down while their home was burnt to the ground after this the knight broke, he returned to his camp and killed every last person he found these fellow knights who he had fought with for so many years and forged bonds with well these bonds meant nothing anymore after the knight had seen what they truly were...monsters. After this he set off for a land he had always heard of, a land of peace where the worst wars were nothing but memories in only the oldest of people."

He sat down again his tale finished hardly noticing that the bartender had chased a man out moments before he had even started. "My armor is clean but stained with far to much blood to ever truly loose the dark crimson that tents it as for my blade it never leaves it's sheath unless it is to take a life again. If you are on some foolish quest for adventure then I want no part but if you are looking to do some true good in this world and are looking for someone who will shield any and all from the darkness of this world, someone who will strike at this darkness until his body no longer draws breath then I will join you." He finished.

The young looking elf grabbed the large cup filled with water that shimmered with the dim lights and took a small sip, not finishing before she was addressed and approached by a few. First was the so called traitor who seemed to show little interest, but remained where he was. perhaps the disinterest simply remained with her rather than the offer. Next was the princess, who judging by the way she acted for a moment further confirmed certain parts of her own theory. It wasn't long after that that the girl approached her with a very.. well, princessy attitude. Instead of searching for a place to put her own words in, she let the girl talk, then return to her seat, thinking a little on the comment about not having introduced herself. Before she could respond much to her, a third chimed in, the marked elf.

The bard nodded her head in the appropriate places of her words while continuing to sip quietly on her water until the girl finished. She really did guess that now introductions were indeed in order. "Fair enough. It is a pleasure, Rowan." She said, extending her hand, "My name i-" finally she noticed that the older knight who seemed to ignore her now look at her and begin to speak, and share his story, which she listened to closely, keeping it in her mind for the future. At the end of his tale and explanation, she grinned again before leaning over in her stool to get a better look at him past the rider. "I'm a performer, that's true, but a bard, not a fool." She replied, "I seek no foolish reasonings as I have little time for it, there is always a cause. In which case, I look forward to traveling with you" she bowed to him from her seat before turning back to the girl who stood beside her.

"Rowan it was." She continued from earlier. When she spoke now, she didn't yell by any means, but she spoke loud enough for the group to hear since it was a few times over questioned. "My name is Venna Seren. I am, as mentioned and shown, a bard by trade. I write, I sing, I dance, I perform. Actually written a few books. As we are yet still strangers, I too have things I seek, along with my own goals and reasons, but respectfully, for now they will remain my own." She stated, taking in some more water, leaving only a small gulp left in the cup which she placed gently back on the counter.

Reactions: Dakota K5

INTERACTION : @Dakota K5
MENTION : @Uneasy Goat @Saint Allison @ZellaKitty @CynderTheDragoness

[fieldbox="LEECIA MORAN, hotpink, dashed, 10, Georgia"]Leecia might be arrogant toward people, but she always had a soft side for animals. Seeing how the drunk barbarian almost hurt the dog, the runaway princess almost stepped up and helped the dog, but the bartender already did that, so Leecia back to her seat and looked at the knight who suddenly stood up. Leecia shrugged as the knight made his speech, why people keep giving speeches today. She grunted and drank her water before looked at the the bard and female elf again, "Oh, I'm Leecia Moran, I was complaining about you not mentioning your name, while I don't say my name either."

Leecia finished her drink and waved her hand to the knight, "I don't seek danger, but experiences. Do you think I will throw my precious life as princess only to fool around?" Leecia rolled her eyes and folded her arms in front of her chest before continued, "However, drive away darkness is not a simple thing to do, I must say it just as foolish as random adventure. Darkness, crimes, bad people are everywhere. You kill one, another one will arise. You couldn't put an end to it. Becoming a hero and win over the darkness are fairy tale, a story told right when I go to sleep. But now I realize that it's impossible."

Brushing her face from her eyes, Leecia continued again, "But I don't care, I have nowhere to go now anyway. My goal is still vague and I wish to see it clearer when I go with all of you. Slaying the darkness, saving princess, I'm up to any of it."
[/fieldbox]​

Rowen turned at the commotion the drunk man was making. So what if the poor stray dog shook water off on him. Clothes were washable, and the man needed a bath anyway. The Elven woman was about to intervene when the barkeep stepped up.

After things had settled, Rowan heard the Bard start to introduce herself, but was cut off by a tale told by the human knight. The tale having been told, the bard returned her attention back to Rowen, who then replied. "You may appreciate the tales and stories from my home. Much of it being our history."

Dreven couldn't breathe, but stopping wasn't an option. He held his hand against his chest and stumbled through the forest as fast as he could without looking back. He could her them, smell them, he swore he could feel their grip on his legs. The ground came fast as his leg gave out, the arrow that pierced it causing a shout of pain to escape him. He couldn't look back. He couldn't turn around. He crawled, choking on his breath as each hand reached out for another root to pull him along. He could feel the poison of the arrow in his leg moving through him like a snake. The ground rumbled underneath him and he knew the thunder was upon him.

He closed his eyes and cried, covering them like a child trying to hide from monsters. These were not closet fears, the Marching Thousand were real. His leg was stepped on by a mammoth sized foot and with a hard pull the arrow was removed from his leg. He couldn't withhold his scream, but it was met with silence and the continuous rumble of the earth. I wasn't worth the arrow, he thought. Something grabbed him by the neck and lifted him into the air, bringing him face to face with a nightmare. The eyes were just eyeballs in an open socket, the teeth yellowed and rotten with no lips to cover them. As the eyes studied him, Dreven tried to grab the creature's hands to release him. He thought he saw it smile, the skin of his jaw drawing up slightly, as it dropped him on his bad leg. Before he had a chance to attempt to stand, Dreven saw that the monstrosity had notched an arrow. I don't understand, he thought. He never would.

Somewhere in the distance, Frederick heard screams and his heart stopped as he realized that the thunder brought a different kind of storm with it.

Venna listened to the princess, now known as Leecia, and then Rowen. She smiled at both of them and bowed her head. Rowen mentioned the tales of her home, and it brought memories of her own home to mind, memories that caused her smile to fade subconsciously and her muscles to tense for a moment. A scream seemed to echo through from somewhere not too far off outside the tavern. It pierced the elf's ears and caused her to immediately stand from her stool, head turned at the doorway. Then there was another that followed, her hand quickly moving to her hip where daggers were strewn across. The bard turned to the group with a much different look than before. Rather than one full of joy and friendship, it was now one of sorrow and worry. "We may find something to bring us together quicker than we thought."

With that, she turned back to the front of the inn, grabbed her pack, and quickly made her way out of the doors. There was a haunting chill in the air. Thunder cracked loudly through the cold air as another agony filled scream rang out in a slightly more discernable direction. All of it sent a chill up the woman's spine and caused her to clench her hands. There wasn't many times that she heard the sound of fear and agony, but that was it if she ever did hear it. For a few moments, she stood still. Completely still, almost frozen in her place in front of that old tavern. It must have come from the forest. It was terrifying to thing of what possibilities could lie in the vastness of the thick, dark forest. A breeze cane her way and with it brought a heavy rain that thudded against the rooftops and quickly drowned out the ground beneath her feet. There was no way she could face whatever was there alone.

The knight stood up reaching his full height as he heard the scream, he put his shield onto his arm and rested his hand on the hilt of his sword before following the bard elf out of the tavern into the rain. He stood next to her before addressing her. "Well strangers turned comrades I suppose, by the way the name's Adrian if I didn't mention it before and would you give me the pleasure of learning your name since it would be easier then calling you bard the whole time." He knew combat was to come soon and knowing the name's of the ones you would be fighting with would prove to be helpful.

The feeling Adrian knew all to well crept up his body and filled him with...excitement, no matter where he went or what he did he still had the taste of blood and combat and every time he was to venture into battle he felt excited, ecstatic almost and the cry of pain was all to familiar to the knight he had heard it enough in his time and this was not different. He finally drew his blade from it's sheath, the hilt was wrapped in a black leather with the pommel being a simple metal sphere while the cross guard was rather basic but what drew attention was the blade itself, the steel of the blade was tinted a pale red from the years of use. He rested the flat of the blade on his shoulder while his shield arm hung loosely at his side, no need to tire himself out from just holding his equipment.

Xavier also got up, hearing the scream, a scream of pure agony and terror, he undid his cloak and let it fall, his large, crimson blade slung onto his back he reaches behind him to grasp the hilt but does not take the weapon out of it's sheath yet. He instead pulls out a tome and holds it to his side as he walks out the door and stands off and to the right of Adrian, getting down from the front of the tavern. He looked and saw the drunkard who had cursed him a moment ago and stared into the man's eyes "Where did the scream come from?" The flatness in the Traitor Elf's voice left no room for pettiness or jabs. He wanted to know and he wanted to know fast where the battle would take place.

Roger let out an involuntary yelp as he felt something metal strike his spine. His paws slipped on the wet floor and he felt fresh beer being sloshed on his fur. He stole a glance behind him as he tucked his tail between his legs and tried to find somewhere to hide, hurrying at the sight of the man with a red face glaring at him. He snuck behind the now vacant stage and laid down in the dust, lowering his ears so as to remain unseen. He felt the floorboards vibrate with heavy footfalls. He closed his eyes tight.

He saw Madeline's hand shake as she reached for him and he scooted as close to her as the small bed would allow. Her hands rested on his neck; they were cold. "Roger," she said between sighs that were too long, "You -are- good, no matter what they say." Her hands tightened. "I love you, don't ever forget." He saw tears rolling down her cheeks and gently licked them away.

Roger flinched awake from his memory as he heard the door slam, and peeking over the stage, (his ears still held tight) he saw the man had left, and the odd people at the bar were saying something he couldn't hear. They didn't look his way, which was a good sign, but their faces were set and focused. Anger? Concern? Every person had their own way of looking angry and sometimes it was very hard to tell.​

Upon hearing agonized cries, Rowen tore out of the tavern and whistled as she ran across the ground. Her show white mare galloped beside hervand the Elf swund herself into the saddle, the emerald colored metal sheath of her sword peeking out fron under herb billowing cloak. "Ganga fram!" She shouted and the horse respond with a burst of speed. She searched ahead with her mind, looking for the one whose body was in immense pain. Finding it, she guided the horse to the location.

INTERACTION : @Uneasy Goat
MENTION : Everyone who goes outside of the tavern

[fieldbox="LEECIA MORAN, hotpink, dashed, 10, Georgia"]Everyone stormed off to outside of the tavern as soon as they heard scream. Leecia was curious about the sudden scream out from nowhere, but she didn't rush herself to go outside just like they did. Instead, Leecia just sat inside and waited there patiently. Someone got to protect this tavern just in case it was not just 'a monster', it could be a pack of monsters. They could charge here anytime from any side, so Leecia decided to stand with the rest of people inside. Most of people here didn't seem like a fighter, those who looked like one were already set their feet off outside of the tavern.

Still with her eyes fixed on the door, Leecia unsheathed her sword and asked the bartender, "Does this tavern somehow have a backdoor?" Leecia didn't know how smart monsters could be, but whatever it was, it might come from the backdoor or even from the roof.
[/fieldbox]​

As she approached the source of the scream, the thunderous footprints grew louder. She didn't see what took her horse from underneath her, but she heard the pained cry of her mare as her legs were bent backwards from the force of a thrown axe. She hit the ground, attempting to brace her fall and breaking an arm in the process. In front of her was a mammoth of a creature, easily 8 feet tall with grotesque features and a grim smile. He reached down and grabbed her by the throat, examining her armor and weapon. She could feel her breath escape and could barely draw it back in. The grip was that of iron, solid and unyielding. He brought his face to hers and uttered a single word:

"Pathetic."

He takes Rowen's sword from the sheath and throws her to the ground in one gesture, following up with a single thrust of the blade into her gut.

Frederick, startled, looks at the group of people exiting the tavern. He looks back at the forest and you can see the fear in his eyes. He tries to say something but it's unintelligible and he runs off further into the town, trying to maintain his drunken balance. You feel the ground shake and you realize all at once that it's not going to rain, the rumble is coming from the forest itself. You can't see anything, the trees too dense to get a clear visual, but you see the hoofprints of Rowen's horse going through a self-made path.

Inside the tavern, Lenore stares confused at the group leaving the inn. Returning her attention to Leecia, "A back door? Of course there's a damned back door, what kinda of idiotic question is that? And what the hell are they all on about?"

A man at one of the tables pipes up, "I thought I heard a scream or somethin'."
"Probably just your fat ass," another responds, "or another fuckin' mutt looking for a handout." This man looks toward Roger and throws a handful of peanuts at him, laughing with the other man at the table.

Anders heard it, though. He knew what the thunder that didn't bring rain meant, and he slowly made his way into the back area of the bar.

Adrian sheathed his sword again and put his shield onto his back looking in the direction the female elf had rode on her horse and growled in his throat, he had came out here after the bard and heard something that he was sure wasn't thunder but he knew better than to run off and try and find the person or persons that might have made the noise if it was a person. He turned back to the bar and walked back in and to the bartender but before he spoke to him he saw a man slipping towards the back of the bar and Adrian fixed him with a questioning gaze hoping he would notice this and explain what that scream had meant because he looked...shaken for lack of a better word.

Status
Not open for further replies.