The Taller they Stand, the Harder they Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
He gave a curt nod, "Everyone who is willing to stand, we need everyone." He replied with a nod while he closed his eyes, slowly working out battle plans. "We will need the temple slaves to help the blacksmiths to distribute weapons and supplies... I hate to say it but they don't know how to fight." Iren spoke softly while he held her close. "Everyone from teen to elderly will need to be armed with something, anything... even if it's a broom, a wood axe, a rock... we need arms and numbers to win."

She nodded her agreement, thinking about it. "Neither do the masters," The young oracle replied after a moment of thought. "We have numbers, and some fighters... I do not think the free men will prove much of a challenge. They are soft, and have no dedication. We fight for our futures and the futures of all those around us, but they will now know why they fight." Snuggling in just a bit closer, Cassiphaea smiled. "This will come to pass. I will keep looking, you will keep fighting, and when the time is right we all shall rise up and strike off our chains. I'm sure of it."

He smiled softly as she moved closer, his head resting just above her own while he listened. "Knowing helps, my gladiators will spearhead the fight, we know what we're doing and we are already dead, we have the least to lose." Iren spoke while he kissed her head. "We'll have the other slaves in between my men and a few behind to cover the rear, from there we go as fast and hard as we can, get out of the city and go for the woods. Secure any horses along the way and grab any food we can. We'll stock as we go..." His mind was alight, thinking to every possible outcome, what gladiators to put where.

She frowned, shaking her head. "No, we cannot go into the woods," Cassiphaea insisted. "The prophecy was clear. We will take this city by force, by storm." After a moment of thought she then added, "In any case, we would not survive the wild. They will send their soldiers in and slaughter us, if we do not die of starvation, dehydration, and exposure first. In the city, we will have walls, supplies, weapons, and hostages. If the other cities think to send their armies against us, we can beat them back with the wealth we have here. If we leave the city, we shall be no better than outlaws, common bandits who must loot to live, hunted at every turn. I agree, it would be simpler to run for the woods... but it is not what is meant to happen, and I do not think it would end with anything but death."

He frowned, he had never been one for a standing fight. "We may need to kill more if we stay, the people will try to fight back... this is why my people raid not invade..." He replied softly, not wanting to be harsh on her but wanting to make his thoughts clear. His hand held her closer not wanting to let her go, fearing if he did he'd lose her. "We will need to persuade the people to join our fight, we don't have enough slaves to hold the city alone..."

She frowned, wondering how that could be true. It wasn't as though she knew much of military history or strategy, but surely...

"The city guard is what, five hundred men?" Cassiphaea asked, mentally calculating. "There are thousands, perhaps as many as a dozen thousand, slaves in the city and suburbs on shore. Surely, when we raid their armory, the stores of equipment under the coliseums, and the stores the smiths have, we will have arms enough to supply at least half again that many men?" She had never seen a war, but it seemed to her that if five hundred men could keep a city peaceful, surely five thousand men could defend it.

"There are only five hundred gladiators on a given day... they are the ones who know how to fight... we will lose probably a third taking the city... do not forget that there is still the army, they keep a contingent in the city to guard the palace and the like. They will take a toll on our men... beyond that holding the city with thousands wouldn't be so fearsome if the thousands were gladiators... but we have slaves, they barely know how to swing a sword effectively. To take the city there will be tens of thousands coming... while it is easier to defend a city you need to know what you're doing... having extra hands who aren't trying to sneak out helps greatly." He replied with a small sigh. "The less we have to watch others the better, specifically when the sieges start... "

Status
Not open for further replies.