The Tales of Agganoth

oGmJwdq.png

sZAwCvL.png
"We will return home in a few days. Do your best to look after things while we're away, Isha. I do not want to see a single thing out of place."

"Of course. You need not worry-"
Without another word, the family turned out the door slamming it shut behind them shaking loose dust free. The sound of their carriage faded away leaving Isha'a in the vast grand foyer. They got to work without further prompting. The list of chores to be finished in her master's absence was long, but not insurmountable. And so, off Isha'a went deeper into the halls to begin her duties.

Isha'a neatly tucked away the last pile of clean laundry into the cabinets before turning to quietly admire her work. The rest of the house's servants and maids had left in a hurry once the master had left. Either to carry out errands or relish in the free time they suddenly come upon now unsupervised. Adjusting the sheets and pillows of a newly made bed, Isha'a found herself being unusually fussy about the whole arrangement in general. She constantly found herself moving a pillow ever so slightly in one direction only to move it back a moment later. Bed sheets would be pulled away and re-tucked looking for a sense of contentment to only still be off-put by the whole arrangement.

She took a few steps back from the bed to see that it was no closer to being tidy than when she first tried fixing it. Something didn't feel right when she looked at it. Isha'a could tell that something was out of place, but her mind just couldn't find what she was looking for.

Backing off from the whole ordeal, she straightened out her clothes before turning out and down the hall. Maybe it was time that she too got some fresh air Isha'a thought to herself. All the time spent dusting the furniture and sweeping the floors definitely gave the air a stale feel. One that she was all to eager to break free from.

Closing the door behind her, the lock slid shut with a weighty 'thunk'. Isha'a gave the handle a little shake as if to see if would come loose before she turned to the garden paths that would lead her into the city proper. The shadows creeping along the uneven blades of grass were the only signs of movement in the clear, golden hour of the evening.

Isha'a tensed up as she lightly crossed the paths leading to the far gate on the edge of the gardens. The usual smell of petrichor wasn't in the air. Nothing seemed alive save the grass, weeds, and other shrubs that had taken over. The normally manicured lawn was spotted with patchy, brown grass. Quiet blanketed the entire area like silence after a snowfall. And the serenade of the birds was absent and even the wind seemed afraid to howl.

She looked back towards the house only to see it shuttered and dark. A menacing cloud hovered over head seemingly bringing the promise of rain with it. Be it so, Isha'a slowly sat down on the dry grass waiting for the rain that would never deliver. She pulled her legs up and rested her head on her knees. Closing her eyes, she waited.

sZAwCvL.png

It wasn't gone yet. The sensation of something pushing hard on her chest nearly forcing her back into bed. The temptation to pull the rough sheets back up and lay down was strong, but she stilled herself. All manner of cries and weeping had surrounded her since the sun crested the horizon. There were many others around likely in much the same situation Isha'a found themselves in—

"That was much more vivid than I'm used to." she said smiling to herself as passersby moved in and out of the inn. Maybe looking to get away from the city. Maybe trying not to attract any attention.​

—sorry guys. :(​

Rayela and Sindri, a collab with rjs

The wind caught on, brushing Rayela's cheeks as she stared at the leftover debris from the steps of the inn. She sneezed and pulled her legs in close. Her head hurt from the constant movement she'd displayed within the last few minutes, but thankfully, the innkeeper had been sturdy enough to wrap the bandage on tight so it didn't shift or loosen up. Her eyes were dry and red from tears. Dust particles collected in her irritated eyes and she tried to rub them out.

"If only I'd done better by his side..."

She stretched her legs out and looked down at herself. She couldn't find it in herself to love who she was anymore. Her nails were brittle, her hair a tangled mess, and she always failed those she loved.

She blinked back oncoming tears and sniffed. The pain dug in her side like needles as her worry continued in a steady trance. Some gray clouds roamed overhead and a light shower began to build up, each droplet hitting her feet in silence. She stared up at the sky from under the overhang. She closed her eyes and breathed. The rain calmed her senses and made her feel at peace, if only temporarily. She shivered as a gust of wind touched her body and she stood up. Her feet dug into the dirt and she stepped out into the grass, the rain sprinkling down onto her cheeks. She heaved a sigh, the emotion inside her overwhelming.

A small tap of her foot and a slow twirl. She hummed a small tune and did some more footwork, lost in her own world.

Meanwhile, within the inn, Sindri was splashing cold water into his face. The visions he had seen during the night still replayed through his head. He'd had nightmares before, but he couldn't shake the sensation that last night was somehow different to the others. It had been too vivid, too painful… too real. He shook his head sharply, droplets of water flying from the ends of his beard. The small room seemed confining at this stage - stuffy and restricting. He longed for the outside air that he was used to. The city was oddly quiet, no doubt a consequence of both the early hour and the carnage of yesterday.

He stepped out of the inn's front door and out from under the overhang. The rain falling down steadily yet gently, almost soothing in the way it impacted his skin. He raised his head directly to the sky, feeling the rain spill down on him. He focused on the sensation, allowing all other cares and worries to dissipate. He breathed deeply. The air in the city still tasted constricting, but it was a vast improvement from inside. Suitably calmed, he lowered his head, catching sight of a bandaged girl dancing in front of the inn. He had heard the sounds of new arrivals as he had turned in, but paid little notice at the time. He froze, unsure as to what was the appropriate way to respond to somebody you'd just walked into dancing in the middle of the street.

He coughed, gently yet politely, "Are you sure you should be doing that while you're still healing?"

Rayela stopped in her tracks and flinched at the coughing sound. She turned around and saw what looked to be a middle aged man. Her cheeks flushed and she smoothed her dress out, eyes diverted towards the ground in front of her. "No, I suppose not. Did you help people with their injuries too? Like the innkeeper?"

"Hardly." Sindri shuffled his feet, eyeing the scuffed marks on the top of his boots. "I just brought a few people here. Truth be told, I had no idea the innkeeper would even be able to help. It was just the only place I could think of. Had he not turned out to be an ex-medic, who knows what would have happened to them?"

"I-I see," Rayela mumbled, flustered. The man awkwardly held out right hand.

"Sindri Hermod, Skald of Eldrassir."

Rayela held her breath as the man stuck his hand out in greeting. It was fairly common around here, though something Rayela still struggled to adapt to. She bit her lip and hesitantly touched his hand, wrapping her fingers around it like she'd seen so many locals do and he shook it.

"Rayela," she said. "Rayela Alandir. I have no title. How long have you been here in Norcrest? Was this the first time such a large explosion has happened in town?"

Sindri coughed, nervous, "Hardly a title, more a… job. A way of life. As for the explosion, I would be surprised if it were commonplace, but this is the first time I have ever been to Norcrest." He shuddered. "Hopefully the last too. It's too hectic here, even before the explosion. It doesn't suit me-."

He paused for a moment, seemingly lost in his own thoughts before he continued,"I was sent here to perform at the festival. I assume you were as well, from what I saw as I walked out."

Hands crossed over her chest as she looked up for a brief moment. "Yes, I'm an entertainer and a seamstress. I tried dancing to earn more coin, but after the explosion, I lost everything. I'm going to be leaving Norcrest once I heal." She glanced out at the burnt buildings and trees, all reduced to ashes. "Norcrest is obviously not a safe place for anyone now."

The skald nodded in acknowledgement.

"Aye, seems that way. If that many people can die in the heart of a royal capital, I'm not sure anywhere is. Maybe that's why I had such a terrible nightmare last night," He responded gravely and sighed, staring at the sky once again as the rain trickled down on him.

"You had a nightmare? I'm sorry to hear that," Rayela murmured. The light rain dissipated and the clouds moved on. Weather was a strange thing; the rain could come and go, the winds could toss and turn, but in the end, you never knew how long they would last. "I suppose I shouldn't stay out here too much longer during the early morning. My bandage is already a little wet and it's like you said, I shouldn't be dancing when I'm healing."

Sindri smiled slightly, "Aye, as well as you dance, it's not the best thing right now. Maybe the innkeeper's up and there's some breakfast on the go." A man could dream, after all. He held the door open for Rayela. "After you."

"Thank you," she murmured, grabbing a towel near the door and wiping off her feet as best she could before stepping back inside the tavern. "I don't have any coin on me, unfortunately, so I won't be having a meal. The innkeeper was already kind enough to let me sleep in a small room for one night without pay. I couldn't impose on him any further."

Sindri's smile seemed to stretch a little wider. "Given how he did the same for three other people last night, and fed them dinner at no cost, I doubt he'd consider it an imposition. To be honest, I suspect he might think you were scorning his wife's cooking."

"Oh no, it's not that…" Rayela fumbled over her words, embarrassed.

He sighed deeply, casting his mind to the back, "He said to me last night that this is a time when people have got to pull together and do what they can to help. I don't think he's going to begrudge one of his patients some breakfast."

They'd indeed been lucky. Rayela knew the innkeeper's hospitality was more than anyone could bargain for, and it seemed that Sindri and some of his other friends were fortunate enough to stumble across the Gryphon Inn after what'd happened.

"He's a genuinely kind person, for all his gruff exterior. I've travelled a lot, and there's many who preach kindness but never enact it. He's different." He coughed a little before he followed Rayela inside and closed the door.

Rayela's hand wrapped around her wrist and rubbed it. She pulled a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Do you know the innkeeper personally? You sound like you do."

The smell of freshly cracked eggs and sausage filled the air. The innkeeper was awake, just as Sindri had suggested. Rayela took a deep breath. She was not used to this kindness. It was foreign to her, especially from a man. She gazed over at Sindri with caution before glancing around to see if she could find the innkeeper.

Sindri looked down at his feet.

"I wouldn't say I know him that well - I've been staying here for a few days, but yesterday was the only time I really spoke to him. In spite of that, someone who'd drop everything to help suture the head wound of a stranger without even asking for anything in exchange. Well, I think that says it all, anyway."

"It smells good. Are you sure he wouldn't mind if I received a free meal? He already has so many mouths to feed."

"Apparently most of his guests left as soon as they could after the explosion happened. I'm pretty sure enough has been cooked already that for you to not eat would be a waste." He sniffed the air, an appreciative smile spreading across his face even as a deep rumble emanated from his stomach. His face flushing slightly, Sindri clutched his abdomen. "Sorry." His face took on a sheepish expression.

Rayela smiled a little, "Sounds like someone's hungry."

She sat down at one of the wooden tables and fiddled with her fingers, unsure how to express her means of gratitude to the kind stranger she now knew as Sindri.

"I'm sorry I'm a little… to myself, I guess you could say. I'm not used to this kind of hospitality from a man, um, I mean, stranger."

Sindri's face took on a sympathetic cast, looking at the woman who he could now tell was clearly frightened and alone. Whatever had happened in her past - it clearly wasn't pleasant. Her skin tone betrayed her as Tumaran. He had heard tales of the savage nomads, but never actually met any before. It seemed the stories he had heard were not exaggerated. He cast around in his head for something to say, but couldn't find anything that didn't come across as overly patronising or hopelessly naive.

He was saved from his discomfort by the arrival of the innkeeper, bearing plates of steaming breakfast. "Up and about early too, eh?" The dark circles under his eyes belied his cheery attitude. "Dunno whether it was yesterday's mayhem, or the drink, but I just could not sleep well last night. Kept having these awful bloody nightmares." He sat down opposite and began to tuck into his own plate voraciously.

Rayela's eyes widened as the innkeeper came over, sat down next to Sindri, and devoured the plate of food. She smiled awkwardly and picked at her own food. It was unexpected and a bit uncomfortable. She didn't want to seem rude though, so she took a small bite of her own meal and stayed quiet for the whole time, although her body wanted to leave and go back outside to where there was no one around.

"I don't believe I introduced myself last night to ya lot. Jacobus Feveran."

"Um, hello. Nice to meet you. Um, when will I be fully healed?" she questioned immediately as the innkeeper finished up his plate. "I want to leave as soon as I can."

The innkeeper scraped a piece of bread across his plate, soaking up the residual juices. "I imagine it'll be a couple of days possibly, depending on a couple of factors." He eyed her barely touched plate. "How much nutrition you provide yourself with being one of them. Is the food not to your liking, miss?"

"It's fine, I'm sorry." She took a bite, wondering if her loss of appetite came from the nightmare last night or simply the discomfort of being around a man who eagerly filled himself to the brim. She couldn't help but feel on edge and it got in the way of her enjoying what seemed to be a good meal. Rayela took a small bite of her sausage and chewed. It was a savory kind, though she barely enjoyed it. Food was food, however, and she needed it to continue on.

Sindri lifted his head to look at the innkeeper, chewing thoughtfully, "You say you had nightmares last night. Odd, I had the same experience. Maybe it's just nothing, a coincidence, but… no, nevermind."

He caught the innkeeper staring at him.

"You alright, lad?"

Sindri nodded, rubbing his eyes, "Yeah, yeah, just tired and not thinking straight."

Jacobus got to his feet and gathered his plate and Sindri's, "As long as you're sure, lad."

The innkeeper strolled over to the kitchen, and the sound of clinking dishes could soon be heard.

TAGS || @La Reina, @Greenie, @SkittlesAndSpike, @RJS, @Wishlist

wXxcjAP.png

a collab with @SkittlesAndSpike

Shireen had only just managed to compose herself when she heard the screaming from another room in the inn. Frowning in worry, unsure about what could be going on, she carefully stood up from her bed, gingerly making her way across the room to open the door. Now the screaming was louder than before, though it seemed to die off even as she left her room. Still, she hurried in the direction she had heard it coming from, wishing she'd had the foresight to grab onto her sword, just in case. She wasn't as dizzy as last night at least, so that was a blessing. Her hands, whilst still in pain, were functional as well.

She stopped outside a closed door, pressing her ear to it, listening for signs of skurmish. There was nothing of the sort, but she could hear some movements. Taking a breath, she tapped at the door twice with her boot, preferring not to use her hand if she could get away with it.

"Hey... I heard screamin'. Is everythin' alright in there?"

Atum's head snapped in the direction of the door, startled by the knock. Inwardly he scolded himself, especially after hearing the voice of concern on the other side. As vivid as it was, he had to remember; it was just a nightmare. Nothing more, nothing less. He stood up, wiping at his eyes to clear any tears that might have made it out. He would not be seen crying, not if he could help it. He opened the door, surprised to see it was the woman from the night before, the one who had been injured greviously. "Oh...hello." He greeted.

"I'm okay, thank you for asking." He told her. He tried to crack a small smile but his facial expression only came out looking more pathetic than he intended. "Just a bad dream, a really bad dream." He sighed, wiping at his eyes again. "But more importantly, how are you? Are you okay to walk?"

"Well, I'm still standin' so I guess I'm okay to walk." Shireen returned a smile that was as awkward as Atum's. "I am feelin' a little woozy though, pro'ly shouldn't 've come over as quick as I did... erm... mind if I sit someplace?"

"Of course, of course." Atum nodded his head quickly, opening the door wide and stepping to the side to let her in. "Please sit, allow me to pull up a chair." He grabbed the wooden chair from the corner of the room for Shireen to sit in, setting it nearby the door so she wouldn't have to walk far. He thought a little better of it however, and opted to place a pillow from the bed on the seat of the chair, as well as the back.

"I'm sorry if my screaming awoke you." He apologized to her. He wondered how many other people may have heard it. So far it seemed it was just her, which meant that he had done at least something resembling a good job of muffling himself.

"Oh, don' go apologisin'." Shireen sat herself down on the chair without delay, a sigh of relief escaping her as she did. "I was already awake, truth be told..." There was a slight pause as she chewed on her lip. "You weren' the only one with the bad dream. I had one too, was why I woke up in time to hear your wailin'." She managed the smallest of chuckles, though it faded away as she thought of her dream. "Must've been pretty damn bad if it got you like that..."

"Ah...two bad dreams in one night. Quite the coincidence." Atum cracked a weak grin at that. Comedy was simply finding any bit of enjoyment from tragedy after all."It was quite the dream. Were I not a sane person, I might have thought it to be reality." His body still felt like it was. He remembered the way his hands were bound behind his back in the dream and how they were stuck in that position even after waking up. The spot where his father had stabbed him still felt...off, compared to the rest of his body. He rested a hand on that spot even now, a frown gracing his face. Had his mind knew it was a dream but his body was still convinced it was real.

Hm... Shireen decided it was probably best to leave the topic of dreams for some other time, or even better, forget about them altogether. She looked to the Tumaran; by the expression on his face, it was clear to her he was probably hoping the same. Instead, she tried recalling his name. "You're... Atum, right? The one who brought the old man."

"Yes, I did." He nodded his head. "I'd just arrived after a long journey from Tumar and it had been awhile since I'd eaten. While I'm sad to say I never asked his name, he was kind enough to purchase a meal for me." Now that was something he could smile about. "I hope he recovers well."

"Yeah... me too. T'was mighty nice of him to buy a meal for you." She couldn't help but smile a little. "Nice of you to help him out too. Most people would've just left him... who goes riskin' their lives for strangers? Rare folk... like the one who made sure to bring me here." She paused, wondering if Sindri was still around. Hopefully he had a good night's sleep..

"He had done me a favor, it would have been wrong of me not to do the same." He told her, verbally waving the compliment away. He would have helped the old man had he seen him regardless. Respect for your elders was something ingrained into him since childhood.

"Still..." The thought of the old man reminded her of Jarus, so Shireen decided to change the subject. "So... Tumar, eh? My Ma was from there, even if I don' look it much. Went more on my Pa's looks."

He was quite surprised to hear she had Tumaran heritage, and he laughed a little at that. "I wouldn't have guessed you had Tumaran blood in you, indeed you must have your father's looks. Have you ever been? To the desert?"

"Only 'round the coasts and harbour," she replied. "Never been much of a land person, if I'm bein' honest, an' the desert's more than a wee bit different than the open sea. This'll probably be my first time stayin' on good ol' land for longer than a few weeks."

"Oh, you're a sea-farer. I've never been to the sea. This is actually my first time leavng the desert if I am to be honest." Atum's world had always been small, confined to what was in front of him. One could hardly blame him. In a place like that you were likely to be killed if you were too busy staring off into the sunset, dreaming about some sort of adventure. You had to be in the now and make the best of it. "Why the change in scenery? Not getting sick of the sea are you?"

"Never," Shireen replied, almost instantly. "I was born at sea an'... more than any place, it'll be my home. Just... sometimes you gotta leave your home if you wanna learn more 'bout the world. My Pa did, that's how he an' Ma met in the first place. I wanna be like him, or at least try. See more before I finally return home." If she did at all now.

He nodded his head in understanding. It was very much similar to how he felt about the desert. After all that had happened, he was still going to head back there, eventually. He just needed distance for now, and an opportunity to get things back on track. "That makes perfect sense to me. I can relate somewhat. I've only come in the hopes of finding new opportunities to increase my standing before I make my eventual return home." He couldn't risk it in the desert after a failed raid. Should his enemies find him he would be a target.

"Perhaps when we return to our homes, we will find that which we are looking for." For him it was money and maybe even help. Anything to get a fresh start. For her, it sounded like experience in a part of the world she did not know. It was funny in a way.

For the smallest moment Shireen looked downcast, eyes darkening and mouth trembling Would she find what she was looking for if she returned to her ship? She didn't know. "Perhaps," she finally replied."Either way, I expect we'd find somethin' or the other, an' maybe that'll make it worth it." She let out another breath before slowly getting to her feet. "Apologies... didn' quite realize how long I've been sittin'..." What was supposed to have been simply checking up on a person had shifted to a whole conversation.

"Oh it's no problem. Truthfully I did not mind the conversation." It wasn't like he would be able to fall asleep once more. A dream like that sapped any desire to sleep away, he was awake now. Besides, the conversation distracted him from dwelling on the nightmare, which was quite welcome. "Thank you once more, for checking up on me. Now I suppose I'll go and see what to do next." After the events yesterday he expected things to be locked down for awhile. It would have been his first move had he been king.

"Breakfast would probably be a good idea first." The sound of a faint rumble forced a small chuckle out of Shireen as she looked down at her complaining stomach. "Didn' feel much like eatin' last night, but I s'pose this beastie here has different ideas today."

"Right, breakfast." Atum nodded his head, laughing a little. "Right, you should eat especially. You need to recover and it's hard to do that with an empty stomach." He knew he would eat. He'd gotten enough food last night but he did not wish to feel that kind of hunger anymore. "Do you need help getting down the stairs?"

"I think I should be fine, but if it looks like I'm 'bout t'fall, don't think I'll mind some help." A small but less forced smile found its way on Shireen's lips as she started out of the doorway. There would be darker moments to come, of that she was certain, but she had to make sure to find some light where she could, even if it meant a silly joke with someone she barely knew.

The night before had brought with it horrors not seen in years. Not a mind was spared from the nightmares that fell like an invading army forcing its way through the walls that sheltered the dreams of the innocent. By the time the sun had risen, every person in Agganoth had experienced a nightmare unlike any in their entire lives.

[fieldbox="The Wyvern Inn, green, solid"]
Not long after Catriona's screams came the screams and cries of every other occupant in the small village of Stagrun. For hours the horrific symphony of cries arose in waves as victims of the nightmares awoke from their frightful grasps. Never had so many people suffered like they did tonight and there was nothing Darin could do to drown out the noise.

Darin sat in a chair at the table accompanied by Wymond, and the woman and man from earlier, Catriona and Ardryan. A mug of ale that Wymond boasted as being some of his strongest, sat still full between his arms as he rested his forehead in his hands. Though he had not drunk a single drop of it, the smell was strong enough to make him believe every one of Wymond's words. His head throbbed from lack of sleep and the wave-like assault of the cries that had finally settled. He let out a short-lived sigh of relief as any hope of capturing anymore sleep despite the silence was washed away by the first light that pierced through windows and dotted the room with rays of light.

For a while, the four of them sat quiet. Certainly the shock of the night had taken hold of them. If not, the howls made it impossible to really concentrate on any real conversation. They were only able to manage their names before it all began. Annoyance was the first thing that Darin felt before concern replaced it the more people joined in. If he wasn't so sure he had awakened from his own nightmare, it would have been difficult to prove to him he currently wasn't in one.

Shifting his weight a little so that his head rested on one hand, Darin spun the mug in slow circles with the free one. His mind swam with the events of yesterday and the haunting vision he had the night before. The guilt he wore seemed to sag his shoulders no matter how hard he tried to avoid it. Sarah was gone, and he couldn't save her. He could feel his heart breaking all over again though his eyes did not burn with tears. Turning his hand palm up, Darin recalled the work he had done the night before. If he had saved Sarah then Wymond would not have had to bury his daughter. If only he had been stronger or faster.

Wishing only to get his mind off of his thoughts, Darin finally broke the silence that hung between the four of them, "So what's next for you all?" [/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Norcrest, gold, solid"]
The Gryphon Inn was practically dead, another casualty to the explosion the day before. The few patrons inside licked their wounds and puzzled on about the nightmares that seemed to inflict more than themselves. Screams rose from the populated city. Some could be chalked up as the screams and cries of the wounded, the wailing of those whose loved ones passed away during the night, but others were the cries of fear that tore from the throats of those who managed to close their eyes for even the slightest bit of rest.

As the rain fell lightly in the streets of Norcrest, many had abandoned the dry cover of their homes to begin helping with the clean up. The rhythmical march of soldiers sounded as patrols ensured the wounded were cared for and even stopped to help dig out structures shattered into rubble by the explosion. No word had spread yet as to the source of the explosion, but the citizens of Norcrest found solace in knowing that their King would not rest until the attack had been righted.

There was one unit of soldiers that stood out among the rest. They cleared a wide birth as they moved through the street wearing their battle-tested armor and deep blue tabards sporting the white gryphon. Before them stood Sena Skymane, an athletic woman sporting a scar that along her neck. Her shield strapped to her back and her sword hung at her side as her eyes scanned over the faces and buildings.

The door to the Gryphon Inn swung open as Sena and her men poured in.

"I'll be right with you," Jacobus called from the kitchen.

Without a word, Sena nodded to her men and they dispersed with some heading up the stairs to the rooms and others fanning out to search the ground floor, "My name is Sena Skymane," something hit the hard floor of the kitchen and shattered.

Jacobus rounded the corner with haste and stood, a hint of fear, respect, or perhaps both, flashed across his eyes, "What can I do for you, Captain Skymane?"

"The King has asked us to see if we might be of any assistance to the people of Norcrest," her people began to file back into the Tavern, most with shaking heads, "but it seems your facility is just fine," her eyes scanned the room once more, studying the occupants, "You seemed to have fared much better than many others."

Once more the door opened and in stumbled Gavin, "I'm tellin' ya," he slurred, the bottle in his hand spilling liquid from the lip and onto the floor, "I saw'er," he pulled back his head as his brow narrowed. Swallowing hard, he continued, "Almos' lost me lunch there."

Sena sighed before her jaw clenched. Spinning around, she addressed the drunk, "Gavin, your word is weightless you useless drunk."

Again, Gavin pulled back and swallowed hard, "Mayhaps I should find a seat," he swayed to the nearest chair and dropped his body into it letting out a yelp of excitement at almost turning it over.

Shaking her head, Sena glanced over her shoulder to Jacobus, "Should you, or anyone you come across, need any aid, see the captain of the patrol for this area. He will ensure you get what you need."

"I'm tellin' the truth," Gavin spoke after her as she walked away. When the door closed behind her unit, he threw a hand out dismissing her, "Bah," throwing his head back, he took another swig, "Ain't nobody care 'bout the princess no mo'."

Rubbing his forehead with his middle finger as he shook his head, Jacobus addressed him, "Captain Skymane is right, Gavin, you're too drunk to say anything that would hold any value."

"They took 'er, I sawr it. Right out the castle, 'ey did. There was two," he leaned forward and shook his head, almost throwing himself from his chair, "No, no, no. Four," he threw up five fingers, "I swears, Jaco-" he pulled his head back and swallowed hard.

"Were you drinking then, as well?" the old man replied.

"Bah!" he struggled to his feet, "Ya ever 'eard of the Talons helpin' out in dis-dis," he seemed to lose himself in thought for a moment, "big messes," pride seemed to flash across his eyes at his ability to pick another word while drunk, "They're lookin' for the Princess, 'ey are," standing tall he continued, "n' I sawr 'em take 'er 'wake and kickin'."

With that, Gavin turned and stumbled over his chair before making his way out the door.

"Don't mind him," Jacobus said once the drunk was long gone, "He comes in every so often spouting nonsense. His word is as Captain Skymane said, weightless." [/fieldbox]

The food on Rayela's plate was cold before she could eat the rest of it while it was still fairly fresh. She picked at the last of her egg before the door of the Gryphon Inn swung open, startling her. Rayela stood up, a sense of violation flooding her as a woman and a large group of men began to search the area. Her heart pounded in her chest as she frantically searched for somewhere to hide. "What in Ajal's name…"

The lady who'd barged in introduced herself and Rayela heard something shatter in the kitchen.

"Jacobus?!"

Rayela rushed over to the innkeeper as he stepped out from behind the back and observed him. He seemed fine; there was no visible cuts that she could see. She leaned down and gathered up the broken pieces as Sena Skymane spoke of possibly assisting the tavern. Rayela had half a mind to stand up to the lady and tell her outright they didn't need her or her men's help, but she refrained from looking the woman's way.

"I'm so sorry this happened, Jacobus," Rayela apologized once Sena and her men were all gone. She barely acknowledged Jacobus' words. "She had no right to barge in like that with her… men." There was a hint of fear on her tone. Goosebumps crawled up her back and she stepped away from the mess. "It's broken."

"Aye lass. But it'll be fine. We simply just sweep this up and toss it out, nothin' else to it," Jacobus sighed and opened the backdoor, propping it open with a nearby chair. He was careful not to cut himself on the sharpness of the edges while sweeping the mess outside and picking up any residual leftovers. Rayela crossed her arms over her chest.

"What did Gavin mean by they're looking for the princess?" she questioned.

"I don' know. Why don't ya go sit down and let me finish cleaning this up? Have ya finished yer plate?"

"Yes, I have. Finally," Rayela replied in a low, distraught tone. "I'll grab it."

The young woman approached Sindri and grabbed her plate without sparing him a glance.

"Seems we won't be sleeping another blink the next few days," she told herself, bitter from the sudden rise of new events. "Princess is gone, we've all got nightmares, and strangers who like to barge into establishments and search the whole damn place without permission."

Rayela returned her dirty plate to Jacobus and politely thanked him for the meal. Her calm disposition was nothing when she approached Sindri at the table for what she felt might be the last time she'd come across him.

"Sindri, I… I really appreciate what you've done for me. I must be going today though, so I hope that whatever you may have in mind for the future, we'll meet again."

TAGS || @RJS

SINDRI HERMOD

Sindri's mug slipped from his hand as he heard the drunk's words. He hadn't dared to contemplate the possibility earlier, but the words of the drunk brought all his fears to the forefront. Everything fell into place, monolithic slabs of realisation crashing down like tombstones. Last night's nightmares. The princess allegedly kidnapped. The importance of the Oracle of the Eternal Slumber in keeping the darkness at bay. The consequences of the Seven Seals. The return of...powers that humans should never have had. Sindri's jaw dropped as he desperately fought to control his racing mind, rein in the tension that gripped his very being. It was all he could do not to run upstairs and hide in his room. It was over. There was no chance. The darkness of the world unleashed.

Rayela's words cut through the panic, snatching his attention away briefly. She was leaving? But where to? Nowhere would ever be safe anymore? Why even flee? How could he even tell her what he had realised? He'd sound like a madman, but she deserved the warning, if nothing else. He swallowed deeply as she turned away. "Rayela....wait." He paused again. Damn it, how was he even meant to verbalise this? "That drunk...he was telling the truth. He must have been. You had a nightmare last night too, like me and Jacobus. Like most people in Agganoth I don't doubt. The oracle has gone missing. The seals on the power of magic are starting to break. Think about it! What else could have caused that blast!?" He paused for breath. "The nightmares will only get worse. The incidents will only increase. Nowhere will ever be safe again. Are you truly sure you want to set off alone, in the state you're in? Your wounds have barely healed, after all!"

He sighed, collapsing back into his chair as his legs began to quiver uncontrollably. "I don't know what we can do in this situation...but going off alone is surely the most dangerous thing to do. Please. At least stay until we know a little more about what's happening and until you've healed a little more."

Last edited:

2ed08748160cd81354971bb1c8d647f8.png

As Shireen made her way down the hallway, ready to head downstairs to breakfast, she could hear the screams and cries in the distance. She couldn't help but wonder if perhaps others too had been plagued with nightmares like she and Atum had been. What caused her steps to pause however was the sound of something shattering downstairs. Frowning, she looked back at Atum before looking forward once more, deciding breakfast could do with waiting. "Might be a good idea t'get hold of your gear if you got any... dunno 'bout you but I'm not really trustin' anythin' t'be safe an' sound after yesterday." Paranoia had never been one of her strong suits, but there was nothing wrong with being prepared.

She headed to her room as quickly as she could manage, panting as she entered her room, a hand pressed against the door frame so that she could catch her breath. Her eyes flitted across the room before landing on her things at the end of her bed. Hurrying over, she slung her rucksack onto her back, flinching at the effort though she didn't pause there, making sure to secure her satchel on her person as well. The sound of footsteps climbing up stairs kept her moving despite the wave of dizziness that struck her; head low and hand pressed against the bed, she leaned over and grabbed onto her scabbard, sword still inside. Once it was secured to her belt, she allowed herself to slowly stand up. Thankfully the feeling that the room was spinning had receded.

As Shireen headed for the door and looked into the hallway, she saw more than a couple of soldiers entering rooms. She ducked away from her room, not really wishing to speak to the men. She wasn't wholly surprised to see them there, seeing what had happened the day before, in fact she was a little surprised that no soldiers had made their way here already.

'Least the king's makin' sure people're bein' taken care of.

Soon enough she had carefully made her way downstairs, staying out of the way of more soldiers. Keeping to a side, she looked around, spotting the familiar face of Sindri and the innkeeper, and the not so familiar faced of a woman she deemed a Tumaran. She remained quiet, simply listening as a drunkard entered the inn, proceeding to speak words that were rather worrisome. Though the Captain and even the innkeeper seemed sure he was speaking nonsense, Shireen wasn't too sure; she had been around drunks plenty of times and to her it seemed he knew more than the Captain wished to share.

So, when the drunkard, or rather Gavin as she recalled him being called, left the inn, Shireen decided to follow him out of the door, despite the ache building in her head.

"Oi," she called as she stepped out onto the street, " Gavin! How 'bout a drink of water then?" Holding out her water canteen as an offering , she continued. "Bet you're mighty thirsty right 'bout now. Drink up an tell me what you were sayin' 'bout the princess. What d'you say?"

@DarinValore

Alana Mcale
Alana had remained pressed against the door for the remainder of the night. She couldn't drag herself back to the bed. She was too afraid to go back to sleep, afraid she might have to relive the events of her past again. She hadn't dreamed of the man, of that day, in a very long time and last night's nightmare was much too real for her. Every sensation, every breath she could still feel on her skin and she just couldn't bring herself to move. It was as if she subconsciously felt if she remained against the door than no one could enter inside, no one could surprise her, no one could catch her. She didn't want to be caught off guard, not again, not ever again.

Finally the sun began to rise and Alana knew it was time to move on. Her eyes were tired and surely had bags beneath them but She wanted to go home and find comfort in what she knew. Her tired eyes landed on the blood stained dressed and caused her to sigh. It was her only option. Dragging herself from the floor she moved towards the dress that had finally dried, removed the borrowed night shirt and slipped the dress on. She grabbed her coin purse and tied it securely against her. At least her hair and skin were clean. She'd find a new dress later.

Alana opened the door cautiously, eyes peering from one side to the other to ensure no one unexpected was around. She scolded herself inwardly. She was stronger than this. She didn't need to be paranoid. As she finally stepped out she straightened her back, held her head high and moved down the steps with a look as if nothing bothered her or rather that she shouldn't be bothered. Everyone seemed to have moved on and were ready to go about their business and head to wherever they were supposed to head to. Alana thought she should do the same. She noticed the dancer, Rayela, she had met the day prior with another man. Alana was glad she had found someone to help her. It was time she moved on.

Alana moved towards the door but halted in her tracks as the soldiers walked through. Her first instinct was to hold tightly to her coin. It wouldn't have been the first time a solider grew too handsy with her and took her hard owned gold and silver. The crashing of plates from the kitchen made Alana jolt slightly but she held her place. The soldiers were only looking to help, thankfully and allowed let go of the breath she hadn't realized she was holding. A drunk followed after and his words were curious but who would take a drunk seriously? Apparently the man beside Rayela had.

He spoke of the nightmares and immediately drew Alana's attention. "You all had nightmares too?!" she said as her feet made their way towards the two. She hadn't even realized she had moved. The look of shock and disbelief registered immediately upon her face. "Magic doesn't exist. It's just some tale told to children to keep them in their beds at night. This...this isn't happening. This can't be." Alana looked around. "Right? It just..." She couldn't say another word. She had seen a woman go up in flames for no reason at all and create a blast that took out the entire area. She had even heard rumors of others showing some signs of power but it couldn't be, could it?.

Her eyes fell on Rayela and she couldn't help feeling like she should help her some how or perhaps it was Alana's instinct to stay safe at all costs and there was safety in numbers. "He's right. You shouldn't be alone right now. None of us should." Alana looked to the man and nodded her head. "I'm Alana. I'm traveling alone as well and I had the most terrible of nightmares last night. If what you say holds any truth...I'd like to stay as well until we can figure out what's happening. I don't want to be alone right now." She needed to avoid danger at all costs.

"The nightmares. The nightmares must be because the princess has truly been awaken. There can be no other reason. Should we try to hide? There has to be somewhere safe? Someone should have thought of a plan should the princess ever be awakened? Yes?" Her eyes darted from one to the other. She was full of questions but she didn't know if any of them were equipped to answer them.

Tags: @RJS @Kat

"That is a good idea." It was for several reasons. After an event like yesterday, Atum thought he would do well to make sure he could defend himself from any trouble if needed. They were also the only things he owned, aside from his horse, which he would have to check on as well. Amal was left far enough from all the explosion that the horse should be safe, but it was the people scared by the event that worried him.

He ducked back into his room, rummaging around for his things. It wasn't much; a gourd, his Khopesh, quiver of arrows and bow, but it was all he had and he would be damned if he lost any of it. He geared up rather quickly, keeping his gourd in hand as he exited his room with the intention of refilling it. As he stepped out of his room he could see a few men, soldiers in service of the crown enter a room, which he assumed was to search it.

He ignored their presence almost entirely, responding only in kind to the small nod he was given by one of the soldiers. He didn't wish to engage with them, he wanted some water and food, and maybe some answers if he could get any. He descended the stairs, looking for the Innkeeper. As his eyes scanned the room he noted a face he hadn't seen the day before. A woman, Tumaran like himself speaking to Sindri.

But he didn't pay much attention beyond that, for his gaze had settled on the Innkeeper. He only wanted to ask the man for a jug of water to refill his gourd and was even more grateful when he was given one. As he restored his water supply, he listened to the drunk ramble before he left. Someone took the princess…? He thought it unlikely, but the other day…it would have been the perfect time to pull such a stunt. Perhaps his words were worth hearing despite his inebriated state.

When he saw Shireen follow the drunk out, he made his mind up to do the same. A part of him was still unsure she should be moving around so much after her head injury, but he also found her pleasant to be around. He appreciated her coming to check on him, despite her injuries and dream of her own. Perhaps she also wished to hear the drunk's tale as well.

Sindri's voice had risen in what seemed to be panic, so much so that Rayela had become fearful of what he might say. The drunk was right, but what did it matter if the princess was gone? She couldn't do anything about the seals being broken or the nightmares. No one could from the sound of it. She sympathized with Sindri, but her instincts continued to push her forward. She didn't know if any of Sena's men knew of her betrayal to her husband, she didn't know anything.

"This place was already dangerous for me. I honestly shouldn't have stayed for as long as I have. I need to leave before they catch me."

The stairs nearby creaked as a stranger with a bandage around her head entered the main area. Rayela eyed the woman with curiosity as she walked towards the door. She was hurt too, probably almost caught in the fire. Her heart pounded as she tried to shake away the stress and paranoia that continued to steadily build. Rayela turned away from Sindri, her arms wrapping around her body. If she stayed, her husband would catch her. She couldn't have that.

The young woman turned to leave the table to return to her room when a familiar face came into her line of sight.

"Alana."

Her eyes widened as she barraged her and Sindri with questions she couldn't even fathom. The idea of hiding sounded notorious and it was on Rayela's list from the very beginning. They simply needed to leave the tavern, travel south or north. Somewhere far away from Tumar. They didn't understand and the more Rayela waited around, the more her fears took over.

"I can't stay here," she stressed through gritted teeth. A handsome man entered the clearing, skin and facial structure clearly marking him as from the desert. Rayela made the mistake of staring at him and her heart immediately jumped. She froze as he began to walk across the room, presumably towards her, she thought. Rayela could never mistake where he came from and she couldn't mistake why he was here.

Tumaran. My husband sent him. He's here to kill me.

Rayela forced herself to leave the table, feet carrying her quickly across the wooden tavern floor. She bursted outside of the tavern doors, stumbled down the stairs, and ran for her life. Away from her newfound acquaintances, away from Norcrest, and the dangers of the aftermath. She could not look back, she could not allow him to capture her.

A piece of glass cut the bottom of her foot and she hissed, but pushed herself forward as the glass dug deeper, leaving a trail of blood in her wake as she hurried down the dirt road. Her breath caught on and she felt stitches build up in her side.

Don't stop, don't stop. Keep moving.

zTHyLJh.png
Ardryan was wide awake. His head buzzed with the lingering remnant of the night's dream and his body shook slightly from restrained energy. He held his shortsword loosely by its straps with his fingers, feeling the familiar weight of it reassuring and calming his nerves.

"I'm not too sure." said Ardryan with a mouthful of ale, fourth mug that day alone which was more than he had had in a year. Alarming, that. The truth is, he was sure, only he had every intention of delaying the inevitable as long as he could.

"What is your plan, Catriona?" focusing his attention of the girl, his voice was a low bass resonating in the quiet lobby, his tone tinged with concern and more than a touch of doubt. "You get to Westhollow, then what?"

Catriona, who hadn't touched the mug, but to curl her bandaged hands around it stared at the amber colored liquid as though answers might be scried from within. None came, however, and at Ardryan's pointed question, her lip twitched down into a subtle frown.

The fact was, she had no plan. She never had. She had left her family's devastated home with only one intention and no real consideration of how she was going to accomplish it, and now she didn't even have the lead that she had when she'd left.

"...The plan hasn't changed. I'll find out who the raider was intending to meet and I'll follow them."

"That is your goal, that is not a plan…" Athos above, she was fully determined to kill herself, it seemed.

"Why so set on finding out who this man was supposed to meet?" Darin asked as he stopped twirling the cup, "Why not just go home? Wasn't yesterday eventful enough?"

Breathing out, her eyes rose from the mug and Rion shook her head, "Because thanks to that man… And no doubt the men he was meeting, I have no home. And he's dead, so this is my best chance at finding answers…" And avenging her family.

Answers….It sure would be nice to have answers about what happened to Sarah, but who knew if those were ever going to arrive. After glancing down to his drink, Darin returned, "I'm sorry for your loss, Catriona," loss was something he was coming to understand for the first time, and yet he could not imagine the impact of not having a home at all to go back to. Leaning back, he let his hands wrap loosely around the untouched mug, "Did he die in the explosion?"

"No." Her eyes flickered to Ardryan and she frowned, "There was a fight… He was killed, before I was able to get any useful information. All he had was a note… burned. It mentioned Westhollow. All I need is a map to get there..."

There it was again. Knowingly or unknowingly, she stoked the fire of guilt inside of Ardryan with her words, and it flared a hot shameful red.

Tapping his fingers on the table with increasing rhythm, Ardryan pondered the idea, turned it over in his head, examined its details, found it exceedingly distasteful, and cursed himself for his guilt and his choice. He turned to Darin.

"We are going to need a map. How can we obtain one? I haven't been in the city for a long time."

"You can get a map from the local trader if he has one," Darin shrugged slightly, "In small towns like this one, you aren't guaranteed though," he could tell it wasn't the answer either of them wanted. Shifting slightly, he came up with a solution, "I have to pass through Westhollow on my way home," the thought of going back there and telling his parents what had happened to Sarah sent a shiver down his spine, "I could take you there?"

"Now, hang on a minute…" Sitting up a little straighter, Rion looked between the two, "This isn't an outing. I'm not asking either of you to come along. I just need to know the way!"

"You'd need a lot more against men like that." countered Ardryan, his mind made up. "I cannot stand aside and watch you rush into certain death." And I cannot face my family, not yet, but he did not give voice to that thought.

"And about...Darin, was it? I do not think it is of much trouble for him to guide us for a time, if he chooses to do so. The decision is ultimately his." At that he turned his gaze upon Darin, expectant.

"No trouble at all," he shook his head, "I'm going that way anyway," Darin turned his eyes to Wymond, "Why not come with us?" He knew Wymond did not need to come, but there was nothing here but heartache for the man, "Might do you good," he suggested with a sympathetic look.

Wymond sat behind the counter, already starting on his third mug of the strong ale he set down for all of them. This surely was the strongest of his drinks, brewed by his very own hands. He shifted his eyes to look at Darin, a man that overnight he came to consider somewhat of a friend, and then stared back at the other two 'strangers'.

"Come with you, eh?" He looked around at his inn, and let out a deep sigh. He stood from his seat, and scratched the back of his neck. He couldn't believe the events that unfolded over the course of a day. It seemed everyone in his Inn was having a hard time sleeping, but he shrugged it off as it being trauma from the prior events.

"I used to have a friend that lived over by Westhollow, and I vaguely remember the path. But it's long, and at times it can be very dangerous." He leaned against the counter, standing on the opposite side of them, and taking one final chug from the mug. "The way that I see it, even with pretty boy by your side," He motioned to Ardyan, "You won't make it very far. If there's a group of raiders they could rob you, rape you, or even leave you for dead. Most likely all three."

'Trust me, I would know.' Wymond thought to himself, wrapping his hand around the mug.

"I…" He looked around the tavern then back at Catriona , "I don't really have much left. So I wouldn't mind joining you on your journey. Even though I'm not as young and agile as I used to be, I still have a lot of experience when it comes to doing what I have to do. But of course...it's all at a price." He gave a weak smile.

"You're all mad… but it's nothing to me if you insist on going. You won't talk me out of it, though. They need to answer for what they did. They all do." Her eyes shot pointedly to Ardryan, before picking up the mug, Catriona finally pulled from the ale. Wrinkling her nose with a shake of her head, she looked back to Wymond, "Not bad, but if you let the casks sit in the sun to dry between brews, you'll get a more even distribution of fermentation."

Pushing the mug aside, she rose to her feet. She was by no means of powerful or impressive stature, leastwise in the company of three more than capable men, but her will held, stubborn and strong, belying whatever she lacked in physical supremacy, "We need to leave. I've wasted to much time, already…"

"Not before dawn. It's still early yet. You should get some rest while you still can." The night had been hard on all of them, Ardryan could see it in the others' faces.

"And I have some work to do." Under his breath he whispered, rising and heading outside.

It had started raining sometime during the night, a deliberate weighty drizzle that saturated the air like a curtain, as if the sky itself was weeping.

"Where are you--" but by the time Catriona had opened her mouth to call after him, Ardryan had already gone, the door closing after him to shut out the sound of the rain, falling onto cobbles.

She rose, but a twinge of dizziness drove her back into her chair. Sinking into the seat with a small hiss of frustration, she ran her fingers through a tangled web of red, "We'll leave at first light." She muttered, "Rest if you must. I've no intentions of going back to sleep."

"Right, first light," Darin nodded as he stood leaving the drink untouched, "I'll need to find some gear, or at least a bow. Since there won't be a large crowd of people traveling, I fear Wymond may be right, and I'd rather not be caught out without a means of defense."

Lowering her hands again, she nodded, "...First light, then."

TAGS || @Jays, @DarinValore, @Ultra Paradox

[fieldbox="The Wyvern Inn, green, solid"]
As much as she was hoping to avoid it, sleep seemed to be the lingering thought on Rion's mind as she returned to her room to pack her belongings. She'd had so little over the past few days, and her injuries had only served to further exhaust her. It would have been all too easy to lay down and allow her mind to drift back into unconsciousness… but after the dream she'd had, there was very little appeal to the idea beyond allaying her exhaustion.

Instead, taking her bag and her cloak, she found her way downstairs again, finding Darin on his way out the door. Approaching the man, she slid her bag over her shoulder and tugged up her hood, "I'd like to go with you, if I may…"

Rion had suggested rest, but everything that had happened - Sarah and the nightmare - made it impossible for him to do just that. He was tagging along with Rion simply because Westhollow was on his way home, but Wymond had correctly judged th3 character of the people they could run into. He was going to bring his bow with him, but Sarah had convinced him otherwise. She reasoned that there were so many people traveling that no bandit would dare to strike out. Now that he needed it, he wished he hadn't listened.

He was just about to step through the door and into the street when he heard Rion's voice behind him. He turned to his side before answering, "I thought you'd be resting," he could see it in her eyes, that same obstacle that hindered embracing sleep. With a nod toward the door, he continued, "Come on. I need to find a bow."

The rain was still falling when they stepped out. Darin stepped out into the rain allowing Rion to take the cover the awnings offered as often as possible. The Lund of puddled steps and raindrops crashing against the muddied floor made Darin struggle to find a subject to talk about in order to escape the silence between the two of them, "Sorry to hear about your family, Catriona," he offered again. His eyes fell low as he recalled his own loss, "I think I know a little of how you feel. I lost my sister yesterday."

Keeping her head bowed to avoid the rain, Rion took a breath, picking at the edge of her nail as her eyes shifted briefly to Darin, "I know. I… I recognized you. I wasn't sure at first, but when I heard you speak… I wasn't far from where it happened." Still, she didn't understand how she had managed to survive it… but like the dreams, it was a question she preferred not to ask aloud, "I'm sorry, as well. Were you close?"

"Very," he responded, his head hung low, "Never been closer to anyone else. Never wanted to be," but now he found himself feeling a bit lonely, "I tried to…." Sarah erupting in flames flashed before his mind's eye, "but I failed."

"My family was my world…" She murmured, dropping her hands to her side. As he continued, her expression shifted as she glanced up to him, frowning, "Something is happening. Your sister… and last night, the dreams. Something bad is happening. But whatever it is, Darin… I don't think you're to blame. I don't think anyone could have stopped it. And I don't imagine if… if she were alive, still, and if you were so close, your sister would say you failed, at all."

Her words did little to comfort him. He'd suffered a tremendous loss in his life. He knew she understood that. The only thing that would heal that wound would be time, "I hope you're right," he said as they rounded a corner. A small building with a bow and arrow etched on a sign above the door swayed slightly in the light wind, "There," he pointed with a lift of his chin, "I should be able to buy a bow there."

The cover of the buildings ended as the two of them had to cross the street to get their destination. Stopping short of opening the door, Darin looked at Catriona, "Please don't tell anyone what you saw," the last thing he needed was the stigma and hatred that would come from people who discovered he was related to the woman who had inadvertently caused so much destruction.

The request surprised her, and it shown across her face as she looked up at him, but only for a moment, before she bowed her head in a nod, "...I won't say anything. But… but it might do you well not to keep it a secret for long. Secrets have a way of coming out, sooner or later…" Turning to the shop, she frowned, "And I have a request, in return…"

Of course she did. Darin's shoulders slumped. His jaw clenched for a moment as he straightened up, dropping his hands to his side, "What's that?"

"...Teach me." Looking back at him, her jaw set, in a way that suggested she was accustomed and prepared to argue, "Teach me to shoot. When I find them, the Raiders… I intend to kill them, but I… I don't know how."

His eyes fell on hers and he studied them. He could see the determination in them, the desire burning behind them. If he didn't help her, she'd find someone else, or worse, Wymond would discover that his sister was the source of the explosion because he didn't instruct her, "It will take time," he warned. The trip to Westhollow would not be adequate to teach her how to shoot well. If they found her raiders then, she could be more of a liability, "for now, we track only. Even if we find your raiders in Westhollow. We train and wait. I won't have you die because we rushed things," Darin placed his hand on the door then paused, "I understand your desire for vengeance. If I ever found out someone else was responsible for what happened to Sarah, I would move mountains to track them. But we," he stressed his involvement, "do this the right way, and only when you're ready. Do we have an understanding?"

For a fraction of a second, the fierceness in her expression flickered away, and there was a vulnerability in her gaze… the look of a young woman who had lost everything in the world, who had been forced in so short a while to become someone she wasn't particularly proud of. Someone who had wholly expected him to say no.

Her eyes misted over and she nodded when he directed the question to her, perhaps a little more enthusiastic than she intended, "Yes. Yes, we do…"

"Good," he pushed the door open so she could enter, "Let's see about getting us some bows."
[/fieldbox]
Collab with @Elle Joyner

@Ultra Paradox @Jays

wXxcjAP.png

a collab with @SkittlesAndSpike with guest appearance from Gavin (@DarinValore)​

Atum took a drink from his gourd, enough to wet his throat before replacing the water he'd just consumed. With the gourd full, he closed it and thanked the Innkeeper before heading out after the drunk and the sailor. Apparently, he hadn't missed much, catching the two just in time to see her offering her canteen to the drunk. "I don't think he'll be much interested in drinking water." He commented, making his presence known.

"An' you'd be right," Gavin scoffed at the water offered him. Instead, he tossed his head back and downed more of his liquid courage, "that be the stuff," turning his eyes to Shireen, he wavered a moment before regaining his balance, "Come t' make fun of the drunk, too?"

"An' how would that help me?" Shireen returned with an eye raised. "I got bloody sutures to the back of my head an' pain worse'n a hangover." She lifted her still bandaged hand to point at Gavin. "Which you're gonna be sufferin' from if you don' stop drinkin'." She let out a breath before speaking once more. "Look here. If I wanted to make fun of a drunk, I'd've stayed in the inn an' waited for another someone t'come in. You got stuff t'say, which I wanna hear. So tell me, what were you talkin' 'bout in there?"

"I am curious about what you said in the Inn as well." Atum chimed in. "You said something about the princess, and after the craziness of yesterday, well...I think it would be foolish to disregard your words entirely."

Shireen's threat did not sit well with Gavin. The drunk took another swig and cradled his drink tightly against his chest. He considered stumbling away until Atum spoke. The man thought it was foolish to disregard his words? The thought of someone actually listening and thinking his words beneficial made him smile revealing rotting teeth, "I'll tell ya," he pointed to Atum, "but notchu," he glared at Shireen, "You wanta take me drink."

Gavin waved for them to follow him as he exaggerated his steps to make sure he didn't trip on any debris still littering the streets. He made his way to a broken cart and sat up in it, "It's like I said. I sawr 'em take th' Prin-" he pulled his chin back and buried behind closed lips, "Woe, close en'" he slapped his hand against his chest and continued, "As I was sayin' 'fore I was interrupted, I sawr 'em take 'er," he nodded and sat up proud that he recalled the memory. His glassy eyes bounced between the two of them before he lifted his drink to his lips to take another swig.

The last thing Shireen wanted was any sort of drink, but that was neither here nor there. She leaned against the wall, closing her eyes as Gavin finished speaking. She didn't want to further antagonize him by asking questions first, so she was going to let Atum do the speaking for now. All that rushing about had her a little dizzy again, as it were.

But worth it. Her hunch about the drunk man was paying off.

Atum listened quietly as he spoke, speaking when Gavin went to take a drink. "Do you know who they were?" The question was, well, a shot in the dark to say the least. The odds of him knowing were likely nothing, so he decided to ask a different question. "Where did they take her? Did you see where they were going?"

"Where did who take who?" Gavin asked as his drink leaked from the corner of his mouth and dropped onto his soiled pants, "Oh, the Princess," he leaned back a moment and threw out his arm to catch himself, "I don' recall who dey were, but I sawr 'er leading them. Right out the gate they walked," he pursed his lips in thought a moment, "Servant's exit 'ear the souf corner of the castle wall. I told the cap'n all this, but she don't b'lieve me," he shrugged, "their loss," tossing his head back, Gavin waited for a drop that never came. His brow narrowed in disappointment, "if you like me story, spare a dr'nk," he flashed that same rotting smile.

"Their loss… yeah." Shireen opened her eyes and looked at the drunk, an inward sigh restrained from escaping. "Y'know the only reason they don' believe you is 'cause you're drunk." She reached down and patted her satchel. "An', I don' have any drink save water on me. I could give you a few coins though if you have anythin' more to add. Like what they looked like?"

Atum was glad that Shireen offered coin, he had no money to offer, let alone anything to drink. "And a number if you have one, how many of them were there?"

Gavin couldn't help but show the disappointment for not getting a drink, but her mention of coin washed it away. He could just buy himself some more, "I sawr four, no, five, or was it seven? l he growled in annoyance, "My eyes ain't what they used ta be," he raised a finger, "and only one I sawr was a woman. I thought it was weird she was wearin' a servan' dress!l he pursed his lips and shook his head slowly, "All I sawr, I swears."

Shireen reached into her satchel, fingering the coin within. "One last question then and then I'mma give you the coins," she promised." Any idea how they mighta escaped with the princess? Ain't an easy task headin' off with someone so important."

The annoyance couldn't be controlled. She just asked another question promising that it would be the last. He had already answered her question and he wanted the coin promised him, "I 'on't know," he answered quickly and jutted a hand forward, "ain't hard when you got so many swords and ya blend righ' in. All I know is wa' I sawr."

"Okay, thank you for the information." Atum nearly put a hand on the man's shoulder but decided he'd rather not touch the drunk. "You've earned your coin." It was intriguing, the information had enough detail to raise suspicion and warrant an investigation. If only he weren't so drunk, then the soldiers may have listened to him and ended up on the right trail. But at least he and Shireen had the information now.

The only question was what to do with it. Do they tell the soldiers? They wouldn't believe them if they mentioned their source. That would mean passing the information off as their own, which wasn't ideal either.

Shireen meanwhile pulled a few coins from her satchel and offered them to Gavin. "Here you go. Just as promised."

Gavin snatched them from Shireen, counting the coins as invaluable treasure. Tucking them into his pocket, he thanked them before scurrying off, straight for the local spirits vendor.

Sighing, Shireen shook her head lightly before looking to Atum. "Kinda feel terrible helpin' him get more drunk… but he aint my responsibility I s'pose." She lifted her canteen to her mouth after uncorking it, taking a sip of warm water. "Let's go back, eh?"

Wymond tried his very best to get some sort of sleep. He rolled around in bed, where a number of empty mugs lay beside him, formerly filled with different kind of alcohol in an attempt to help him daze off. The sheets were draped off the side of the bed, and his leg hung loosely off the edge as he looked up at the wooden ceiling. A spider web was slightly drifting to and fro, and he unconsciously watched it as his mind wandered. He was shirtless again, and left his guests downstairs so they could get some rest. He left the bar open to them and they could take whatever they want from the food storage if they so pleased. He wouldn't be having his only guests waste any money after yesterday's events.

He groaned, and sat up. His bloodied sheets from earlier was in a bin of dirty clothes, but his body was still stained by his own fluids. He attempted to scrub it off, but the blood was defiant on staying. He looked around the room, and then across the hall from his bed to Delilah's room. Stumbling up from his bed, he decided rather than unsuccessfully getting some rest, he would begin to gather his necessities for the trip. So he turned on a lantern and began packing clothes, his sword, a dagger, and an old leather cuirass. It was covered in dust, the leather was punctured and soft in some areas, but reliable in others.

"It's been a long time," He whispered to himself as he ran his fingers against the dusty leather armor.

His eyes watered, thinking about Jenerith and Delilah. He gave up this life for them. Now that they're gone, he has no interests in staying. Not in this inn, not in this town, and not in this world. He knew nothing other than taking care of his family, and living a life of crime. It was time to return to his ways, at least until he found a new purpose in life.

He wiped the tears away and stepped into his daughter's room, and peeked out the window. Many lights were on, it seemed like they weren't the only people in town having trouble getting some sort of rest. He heard the squeaking of a door from downstairs and caught a glimpse of Darin under his hood along with Catriona. Eventually they vanished into the shadows, and he turned back into the room. He picked up an old bunny, Delilah's favorite stuffed animal since she was born, and stuffed into his bag of things.

He would be ready to go at first light. Before he leaves he'll make sure to find the Shepard and his son, and give him order over the Inn until his return. Making sure to notify him that his absence may possibly be a long one and if permanent he leaves the Inn under his name.

"Westhollow," He paused, eyes glazed over as he was in deep thought, "I wonder if you're still there, Hagrid."

SINDRI HERMOD

"Hide?" Sindri shook his head. "You don't understand. You can't hide from the contents of your head. You can't run from them. They'll come back night after night, regardless of whether you've buried yourself underground, run to the frozen peaks of Eldrassir, or curled up in the most secure room in Norcrest Castle. You can't escape what's in your head.

The stories speak of seven seals. Seven seals to secure shadows."
He frowned. "The Oracle's slumber...was the first. Unless the Oracle is returned, these nightmares will never go away. In fact, should more seals break...they will only get worse and worse."

He caught sight of Atum heading down the stairs, before Rayela bolted out of the door. Sindri froze. Should he follow? Should he not follow? Running away was stupid, but he couldn't force her to stay, could he? Maybe she didn't want to be followed. He agonised, wrestling with his thoughts before leaping to his feet and giving chase. She was already at the far end of the street, and seemed to stumble as she turned a corner and vanished from his sight. Sprinting after her, he saw a piece of glass where she had stumbled, and bloody footprints leading away from it. Sindri swore under his breath. "Rayela! We can't do anything alone right now! We need to stick together! RAYELA!"

c34ba0f44fc7c3bc7cdb380651562e10.png

Ardryan faced the Captain's murderous stare unflinchingly, his demeanour calm with a tinge of lingering sadness, a complete contrast to Kortell's seething glower. It was the early hours of the morning, but the entire barrack was brightly lit and full of activities, soldiers streaming in and out of the officers' building to report then hurried away with orders. The day had been a disaster, so much so that even their recently recalled War Battalion was being dispatched as a policing force in the capital proper. Not a good sign at all, and definitely not a good time to deliver to a Captain a decision that he would have found distasteful even in less stressful circumstances.

"This is the kind of stunt that gets you whipped, soldier." Kortell's voice was low and dangerous, his bloodshot eyes half-manic pinning on Ardryan.

"No stunt." replied Ardryan lightly, producing a rolled-up parchment which the Captain grabbed out of his hand before he could set his down.

"Which of them bastards put you up to this? Deram? Kalib? I swear if I..." his words cut off abruptly as he spotted the content of the parchment. When his eyes raised to meet Ardryan's again, where had been mere annoyance and exhaustion before now burned with unrestrained fury.

"I could have you hang for this." His voice was a low hiss of rage, his knuckles turning white gripping the edge of his desk, no doubt to hold himself back from jumping over it and strangling Ardryan with his bare hands.

"You could." Ardryan's tone never wavered or changed.

The parchment was a exemption from further military obligation, signed by the Battalion's Commander, Giosef Delani. Delani was known to sign anything without reading if they were presented when he was intoxicated. Being a notoriously incompetent Commander, it was how his Captain worked around him to get the Battalion running. All knew of the open secret, but none ever used it to their own gain. There were unspoken rules. And Ardryan had broken it.

For the long moments their eyes locked, his regretful and the Captain's murderous, Ardryan wondered if his gamble had been a wrong choice, and he would find a noose around his neck come morning.

With a deep bone-weary sigh, Kortell looked away first. His Captain looked years older than his age, even more so now.

"Get out of here you son of a bitch." His resigned whisper sounded like lost. "Go drown in your grief. With this for a purpose and a distraction, that guilt will eat you up alive."

"I know." Ardryan's answer felt familiar on his lips. That reminded him of the night's dream.

He considered saying goodbye, but Kortell had already closed his eyes and turned away. Another of his solider lost, his posture said. To the war or to their own stupidity, what was the difference?

Ardryan returned to the inn with a large pack slung over one shoulder and his spear on the other, only to find the common room deserted. He trudged up the stair into his room and threw himself uncaringly on the rough bed. Perhaps he could grab a few more hours of sleep before the sun rise if he tried hard enough.

[fieldbox="Westhollow, green, solid"]
Darin didn't rest. It was pointless. The group had decided that when the light peaked out over the horizon, they'd move out and on to Westhollow. Instead, he took the time to gather what he could, which wasn't much. Buying two bows instead of one swallowed up almost all the coin the hunter had on him. When the four of them were ready, they departed down the King's Highway toward Westhollow.

Six and half hours later, the group crested the hill that overlooked the town.

"By the Gods," Darin muttered as he came to a stop. Smoke from fires long put out arose from ruined buildings in different sections of the town. Chunks of the palisade lay open as if they had been blown out, scattering shattered wood into the fields surrounding the town. People were busy gathering them up and piling it in three growing stacks just outside of town while armed soldiers watched on brandishing weapons as motivators, "What happened here?"

The group continued down the road, Darin's eyes studying the scene as they went. The closer they drew to the town, the clearer the scene became. The people picking up and stacking wood were prisoners, and as they drew nearer, they were forced to step aside as three sets of four guards carried tall wooden poles out of the gate and toward the piles of wood. People, dirty from working on the rubble and reinforcing the palisade, stopped as they entered and watched the group suspiciously. Those who were not working seemed to have been drawn to the town square filling the streets just enough to force the group to stop. The crowd was angry, throwing rotten food and hard objects up at the platform.

A man, well-dressed, stood on the platform beside three people, two women and a man, in rags and chains held in place by guards with weapons drawn and points all but piercing through their bodies. The three of them were weeping uncontrollably as they looked down, "Ya' know me!" the man called into the crowd, "I swear I didn't do it, you gotta believe me!" His plea was answered with a strike to the gut from one of the guards. He fell to his knees and the girls cried harder.

"Judgment is final!" the man called, "Carry them away!"

The guards led them away, forcing their way through the angry crowd. Darin could have sworn that he saw people throw punches through the holes conveniently provided by the guards. By the time they had cleared the crowd, the three prisoners were sporting several new bruises and cuts they did not have on the platform. With them gone, the crowd began to disperse.

"You four!" two soldiers approached the group, "State your business!"

"Just passing through from Norcrest. We're survivors of the attack there," he lied, his eyes bouncing to Rion before returning to the guard, "Just trying to get home."

The guard that spoke studied him for a moment and then replied, "Fine. But don't go causing any trouble. If you can't tell, we've had our fair share."

"What happened?" Darin asked.

The guards looked at each other and he could see apprehension in their eyes. Finally, the one that had been speaking answered, "There were a few explosions within the city. We've caught those responsible and are making examples of them later tonight."

"I hear the Raven's Cry has opened its doors to those who are travelling from Norcrest. You should go there and see if anyone else you might know made it out. Gods bless the King and Norcrest. We had it bad here, but from the sounds of the reports, all this pales in comparison," his eyes were soft with sympathy.

"We're just glad to have made it out," Darin forced a weak smile and then continued, "If you don't mind, though, we've been travelling, and the Raven's Cry is…?"

"Oh, take the first road, make two lefts and then a right," he paused a moment and eyed Rion, "I must warn you though, it's in a rough part of town. I wouldn't stray too far from these men, lady," he nodded and slapped the chest of the other guard, "Right then. Let's get ready for tonight and let these poor folks get some rest."

"Right then," Darin turned to his traveling companions, "to the Raven's Cry? If the area is as rough as the soldier said, then it sounds like as good a place as any to start looking for your raiders," he asked Catriona."
[/fieldbox]

zTHyLJh.png
It was the furthest Catriona had ever been from her home. But for the nature of their journey, it might have struck as a point of pride. Taura, stubborn as she was, road fair and they arrived in less time than she had expected them to take. Upon arrival, how, it became clear fairly quickly that their mission would not be met with ease.

The lingering scent of death and destruction clung to the thick, humid air, tendrils of smoke still curling skyward. At first sight, the young woman fell sullen, struggling to bear the weight of memories… a burnt village, the mournful wails of loss…

Upon their entry they were stopped, and as the guards explained the circumstances surrounding the odd scene in the square, she felt a pang of curiosity that only momentarily overcame the cause… Those people would be executed for what they had done, Darin's sister had perished… how many more instances of tragedy would come from these sudden, bizarre occurrences?

The guard's attention turned to her and Catriona frowned, nodded, "Aye… We'll stay together." But she was already thinking about the potential for information, even before they had continued on and Darin asked about it.

"I'm sure of it…" She agreed, nodding firmly, "They've got to be here."

TAGS || @Jays, @DarinValore, @Ultra Paradox

Alana Mcale
You can't escape what's in your head.

Alana breathed in deeply as the man's words continued to ring in her head. Last night's nightmare was so real and he was telling her she would have to deal with similar nightmares over and over; that they would only grow worse. She didn't want to think on it, couldn't imagine the agony slumber might become instead of the peace it was intended to bring. She wanted to know more, needed to know more. Before she could further ask however, Rayela took off running. Alana looked to the man who seemed to have the same thought as her. They had to go after her.

So Alana took off after Rayela as well. "Rayela! Rayela!" she yelled in tune with the man. A trail of blood was left behind and although Alana didn't want to see her new favorite dancer hurt, she was thankful she was. It allowed the two to catch up to Rayela and get in front of her. "Allow me," she said to the man as she moved towards Rayela. "Stop!" she yelled at her and stood directly in front of her to halt her movement. "You aren't going anywhere." Alana narrowed her gaze letting Rayela know she meant business.

She couldn't bare to see another woman broken and weak. Rayela was broken inside. She could see it. She could see the fear in them. She knew what it looked like, she had seen it so many times in her own gaze and Alana would be damned if another had to suffer as she did. "I don't know what has you so frightened but now it not the time to dwell on those emotions. There are greater things to fear now and you are hurt. I am as well." In more ways than just physical but Alana allowed Rayela to interpret as she saw fit.

"Come," she extended her hand to the dancer in hopes that she would see reason. "We are safer…together." She did her best to remain calm, to offer reassurance where it was needed. She didn't want to have to force the girl but if she had to, she would. "Rayela. You don't know me and I don't know you but we can help each other. We all need each other, especially now. Come back to the inn. We will keep moving." The girl was intent on running, Alana could see it. It was as if she couldn't stay in one place for too long. "I promise we will keep moving but we need to know where first. We need a plan."

Her eyes lifted up to the man that had followed Rayela as well. "And I think our new friend here can help with that." He seemed to have a good idea of what was going on and perhaps he could lead them to their next destination.

Tags: @Kat @RJS

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: Greenie and junebug
Before heading off with the group Wymond walked to the Shepard's house and knocked on the door. There was no answer. So he knocked again, and he could hear a shuffling and a mumbling coming from behind the door. Someone cursing under their breath about the time and how nobody has any respect now a days. You could hear his sheep baaing and stomping about around back, so the Shepard should have been getting up around this time now.

The door came unlocked and the Shepard peeked out from behind his door, and when he saw Wymond his face softened, "Oh, Wymond, it's you." He opened the door, inviting him in, "Come in, come in."

Wymond half smiled and held his hand up, shaking his head, "No sir, it's quite alright, I'm actually here to ask a favor of you."

"A favor?"

"Yes sir, I'm sure your son has told you about-"

"Yes..." His eyes were full of sorrow, "I'm so sorry for your loss Wymond, certainly, if there's anything we can do to aid you during this hard time in your life."

"That's actually why I'm here," He cleared his throat, shifting his bag of stuff onto his shoulders so it would fit more comfortably. With that came a shifting of the sword that was sheathed, the Shepard glanced down at the weapon and back at Wymond, cocking an eyebrow. "I need your son to watch my inn for an indefinite amount of time and if I don't come back, it will belong to him."

"What," His father shook his head, "I need him here to help me with the sheep, I raised him to take over this business just like my father before me. Wymond I like you, a lot. You're like family to me, my son looks up to you as well, but this-this is too much."

"I have no one else to turn to Ian."

"I'm sorry but the answer is no."

"What if I say you can keep all the profit, even whilst I'm away."

The Shepard hesitated, but then shook his head, "I'm sorry-"

"I'll do it." The Shepard's son, Leon, appeared from behind his father, a confident look in his eyes.

"Leon," His father turned to give his son a harsh glare.

"Father, the Inn will help us make more money than working here would. Plus, Wymond needs us right now. I think I'm old enough to make my own decisions."

Ian sighed and glanced back at Wymond, "...Fine."

Wymond smiled and shook both Ian and Leon's hand, "Thank you, both of you. I will never forget the great kindness you blessed myself and my family with." He turned to leave, trudging back to the Inn.

"Wait!" Leon rushed out of the door way, "Where do you plan on going Wymond?"

"Good question," He glanced back at the boy with a smile, "Take good care of the Inn."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally returning to the group he planned on travelling with, he was ready to go. He threw his bag into the cart and hoped that they were all rested up and ready to go. But he could tell from everyone's eyes, no one was able to get much of any rest. On top of that, the carriage that belonged to Catriona wasn't very large, so they would have to take turns on which two get to rests while the other two walked alongside the carriage.

Wymond was able to handle a long three hours on foot, but after a while he was sweaty under the old cuirass and decided to get some rest. The ride there wasn't as bad as Wymond would have thought it to be. Perhaps times have truly changed, or maybe after the incidents in Norcrest, many raiders were scared off? Who knew.

By the time they reached the hill that overlooked the town, Wymond was walking besides the carriage again. He glared down at the town, and stared in awe. There was smoke rising to the air, grey and thin. There were a number of people moving the wreckage while being overseen by a group of armed guards. Wymond looked at Darin, "The gods?" He looked back down at the town, "It seems that they have abandoned us."

Things got even more chaotic as they came into the town. Three 'prisoners' of some type, chained up by what looked to be soldiers. They all seemed like harmless individuals, crying and pleading for their innocence. They were assaulted as the guards escorted them through a crowd after being deemed guilty. Wymond shook his head, "This is anarchy," He whispered, not wanting to catch the attention of the angry crowd, "Just what the fuck is going on?"

When the guards walked up on them, to question their business in the town, Wymond's hand naturally fell upon the hilt of his sword. But Darin was able to handle the situation and it was revealed that there were explosions throughout the town, similar to Norcrest. Wymond glanced back at his gang, then at the soldiers.

An explosion? Then whoever the explosion came from must be dead. Why were those three punished?

It didn't matter. The group had a destination to go to next, and all these questions would be answered later. When they walked off towards the direction of Raven's Cry, Wymond whispered so only the group would hear him, "Those three will be hung tonight, for something they most likely didn't do." He shook his head, "It's a shame, and a waste of life. But nothing we could do for em."