The Tale Of A Certain Shut in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethan watched as she sat, silent in her seat. Watching as she ran her fingers through her silky beautiful hair. Her eyes were teal and stood out. It certainly made her stand out but not in a bad way. He sighed and felt terrible for the first time in a long time, that he didn't know how to comfort her. He bit his lip and clenched his jaw, turning away from her again, not seeing her expression change but only hearing her voice as she spoke. His eyes widened as she spoke, she would only do as he asked if he would promise to do the same. That Sylvia wasn't coming to him on purpose. He scoffed a bit and turned to her.

"I've tried to move on with my life. But Aiden is here, you can talk to him, you can hear from him again. I can't...I can't talk to Sylvia. Aiden's death isn't your fault at all...he was in an accident and the doctor messed up. But me? She begged me not to leave, to stay. But someone asked me to come and help them and I couldn't say no, I had to stay in the lime light, make a name for myself. I was an selfish bastard. She died because I wasn't there...shot in the head by someone who broke in and stole a thirty-four dollar necklace...Thirty-four dollars for her life. So I want you to but understand I can't. You don't have to pity me. I'm not asking you to, you don't need to and have no reason to feel sorry for me, I did this to myself. I will be just fine here...please understand that Miss. Avery...

He looked at her and sighed, a pleading sad light in his eyes though his expression on his face was hard and dark.

Avery just couldn't let it go. The way that her and Ethan were in such a similar situation, the way that they in the end sat with the same guilt inside them made her want to help him out, as well. If she couldn't help him, then she didn't want to have happiness either. How could she even think about having happiness if the guy helping her kept being sad? She was blaming herself for his sadness even if she was completely unrelated to it, even if she didn't know about any of it. She wanted for him to be happy and she didn't know how to do it which made her want to hit something, want to break something out of frustration at herself.

"That was not your fault, Ethan. I... I know this sounds strange, but I can't just leave you like this. I... I just can't. I don't want someone to be feeling like I do, and I know you have for just as long as I have, so if I gain happiness and peace again, I want you to have it too. I know that pain isn't the best way for people to bond, but I really want to help you out, too. To help you atone for the sins you didn't actually commit. You couldn't have seen that coming, it was a robber, for god's sake. You couldn't have known. If I had just been faster or hadn't told Aiden to hurry to work, he wouldn't have been hurt in the first place.... but in the end, it's just blaming ourselves for pointless things. That's why... Ethan... please..." She whispered the last words, unconsciously moving closer to him. Her arms wrapped around him in a comforting hug, which was kind of awkward because he was larger than her.

"Please... please allow me to help you. I'll do anything I can... anything you need me to do." She said pleadingly, not wanting to leave him hanging like he was in sadness.

Ethan couldn't believe this woman. He had let her in to help her and now she wanted him. Iris would love this, absolutely love the fact that someone had gotten in and now wanted to help him. He clenched his jaw tightly and looked at her after she was done speaking. But as she got up and came over, wrapping her arms around him in a hug he tensed increadibly. He reached a hand up and patted her back a bit, not knowing how to react. The medium really didn't have a choice now, did he? If it meant she would let go.

"Fine..." he said and growled a bit. "But okay, please let go...please. I don't care if you touch me but this is a....a bit much..." he said and swallowed a lump in his throat. Three years since he had his last touched or hugged anyone. "But...please...I've had quite enough for today...You can come back tomorrow just need to gather my head.." he said shakily as he looked down at her.

Avery didn't know what to do about herself. She just wanted the happiness and calm she'd possibly get to be passed on to Ethan as well so that he wouldn't be sad. She felt that she was doing something wrong of her but didn't know what else she could possibly think about doing. She bit her lip as she hugged him, trying to think of what to do after that. She felt his hand patting her back and just hoped that he wouldn't be angry at her for what she had done. It had been on impulse and she felt quite bad for doing it in the first place.

"Ah... uh... right... s-sorry..." She stuttered as she unwrapped herself and looked away, a blush on her cheeks. "Just promise me... promise that you'll keep what you've said... I want you to have peace too, I want you to be happy too... I can't just leave you down like this if I get happiness myself..." She looked into his eyes. "I'll be back tomorrow, and that's a promise." She said as she strode out of the door.

He didn't promise her anything, he reassured in his mind. Thinking about going outside made him anxious. He paced a bit, his heart racing. Sighing he sat down. He could help her but he wouldn't go outside. The woman could try and help him but didn't know if she would get him out into the world again. The last thing Ethan wanted was to be famous again, because if he went out that was what would happen. People would line up for his help because there were so many people looking for him. Sighing he sat back and fetched another few beers. By the time he laid back he was buzzed dozed off. The next day by the following afternoon he was still asleep, evidence of his drinking littered around him as he snored softly. The door was left open after he forgot to lock it. So worried about her possibly having success in getting him out. If he went outside he would probably have a heart attack.

Avery was very worried despite her being so reassured. She didn't know if she could get him out of the house, and even if she did, what good would that do? She didn't want to make him hate her. When she got home, she locked the door safely, pulled curtains for the windows and stripped to her underwear. She lied down on her bed curled in a bunch of blankets and for once it felt like they warmed her just a little. She fell asleep in this hopeless state, her body shaking and her white hair almost making out to be a light in the middle of the dark room. She almost never ate anything and it caused her to shiver and shake almost constantly. She hadn't wanted to be saved, either, but thinking about having a normal life again didn't seem all that unappealing. She had thought about it from time to time and even if it scared her, it also made her feel reassured.

When he woke up it was late in the afternoon and he saw the beer cans around him. Sitting up he groaned and looked around. Sighing he got up shakily to his feet not bothering to pick up the mess. He did remember the girl was coming back but didn't know just when. Silently he wondered if she had come when he was sleeping. Would going out really be worth it? It would ruin his cover and he wouldn't have an easy time hiding again. Her boyfriend paced the floor looking anxious. He had really missed his lover and kept him up late into the night last night asking him to just let him talk to her. He flipped on the TV and idily flipped though shows, looking for something to watch as he waited for her to come back.

When Avery came to, it was early morning. Her heart was pounding and she was bathed in cold sweat. She had had a nightmare during the night of finding Ethan dead when she came back to visit him. Feeling anxious, she put on her clothes as fast as they would go, drank a glass of water and ate a few bites of an apple before she ran out of the house as fast as her legs would carry her. When she reached his apartment, the door was open. She got so scared and got in. But when she got there, he was just snoring in his dream world. Maybe it had just been a dream this time... she sat down on a chair to catch her breath, cuddling into her hoodie as she silently let her tears fall. He was alive... before she knew, it had gotten afternoon, and he woke up. She watched him and it seemed as if he hadn't noticed her. She stood up and looked at him. She had always been called sneaky. She walked almost silently, and her breath was also silent. "Ethan." She said weakly to him, looking over at him. The image of him lying cold on the floor scared the living wits out of her.

Ethan nearly jumped out of his skin as he looked over and saw her, Avery. She didn't look too great, she looked pretty shaken up and scared. He looked confused. Not feelling well himself from how much he drank last night he turned off the TV and looked to her.

"Avery...y-you okay?" he asked, but something seemed off with him. He was ghostly pale and his heart was racing. It had been awhile since he had drank that much. A cold sweat covered his face but he with a shaking hand wiped at it. He went to stand again and he caught himself on the couch as he stood and almost fell. But he wasn't worried about himself, thinking it must be because he was drunk, she looked worse off though. At least in his eyes. "Did something happen? Your...not looking so good..."

Avery was almost surprised enough that she fell to her butt as his sudden outburst of surprise when she said his name. She blinked as she looked at him. She didn't know why but she was feeling different than before. Seeing him, she wanted to protect him, but what could she do in her pitiful state?

"I-I'm... I'm okay, it's nothing." She said hastily as she looked at him. She stood up when she saw him in such a state. "It was just a nightmare, nothing special..." She muttered as she got him to sit down. "Moreover, I'm worried about you. If you're going to get hungover then you might as well stop drinking. Sit down." She pushed him into the couch and went to make a cup of tea for him, putting in some things she had been instructed would make it taste good and help his stomach. She walked back to him with that and cold cloth. She set the tea down. "Drink this, it should help." She said as she wiped off his forehead with the cold cloth, sitting beside him on the couch. "You look horrible."

He fell back onto the couch quite easily as she had come over to her. Ethan sighed as she had said it was a nightmare. Before he could say anything she came back over with a cup of tea. It smelled good but his hand shook taking a sip. He set it down as she wiped at his fore head and sat with him. He nodded and nit his lip for a moment.

"Yeah...Haven't drank that much in a very long time...wonder why I did...Buut....Tell me about your dream...they alwaus come true " he then excused himself to be sick he felt light headed and fell onto the floor. He gasped for breath, his breathing now shallow as he gasped for air; on the floor there were far too many beer can littering the floors. It was clear that he didn't know just how much he had drank.

Avery tended to him as he sat down, hoping to get him to drink some more water and tea so he would get better. She didn't want to see anyone like this, and she felt like leaving him yesterday had been a bad, bad mistake of hers. It made her furious. She wanted to help him and didn't know what to do about it. She was a horrible helper. She just wanted him to feel better, it was all she wanted to do.

"No, no this time, it was just a nightmare, really." She said as she looked at him worriedly. "It won't come true, it wasn't... about a death that haven't happened already..." She said. She gasped as he fell onto the floor, bringing him to the bathroom. "Ethan? Ethan?! Answer me!" She said worriedly as he threw up in the toilet. She grabbed her phone and called an ambulance for his place. "Damn, I'm never letting you drink again... what did you drink? Did you I drink beer and wine or something?!" When the ambulance came, she followed him all the way from the ambulance until they emptied his stomach. When he was lying on the bed, she held his hands tightly. "Dammit! I won't allow you to die on me... not you... I was going to help you and make you happy... will you wake up!" She cried at him.

Everything was all a blur, he remembered getting sick but blacked out after that...it was all gone. The next thing he knew he heard some beeping and some voice demanding he wake up. When he opened his eyes he groaned and looked around. His eyes widend as he realized he wasn't in his apartment and the beeping was a heart monitor.

"No, no, no ,no ,no, no, no. no...." he muttered. He felt sick, his stomach aching very badly. Looking over he saw Avery. "What...what did you do? Why am I here...I can't I have to leave..."

The man moved. "Who did you tell them I was? I can't be back here...I want to go home..."

It was clear he was very anxious.

Avery had followed with him all the way, holding his hand and praying, praying for him to be safe. She didn't believe in god and wondered who on earth she was playing with. She knew that he was stabile but she wanted to see him awake and at his senses, awake and alive. She wanted to see him again, wanted to see the face that she desired to put a smile on.

She watched as he woke up and took his hand to try and calm him down. "Ethan, Ethan please calm down.. I know you don't like this, I know it's not good, but you became sick from the alcohol.. you would've been dead if I hadn't taken you here..."

She had tears in her eyes. "I just told them that you were my boyfriend and that you had drinken too much and fainted."

She pushed him back down gently. "Please... please get some rest, okay?"

Ethan didn't want to, he didn't want to rest and pulled his hand back. He didn't want to be here, he felt his heart beating very fast. It felt like he was going to have a panic attack. He looked to her and was pale. There was no way...he couldn't do this.

"Get me out of here now...I can't be here." he said. He sat up and leaned over, clenching his eyes shut and the images flashed back. Doctors rushing around, rushing his girlfriend to surgery. Of course she didn't make it, the bullet had done too much Damage to her brain. Opening his eyes spirits surrounded them and they all were pleading for his help, crying.

"No! he yelled. "Go away, I'm not going to help you..."

He clenched his jaw and covered his ears.

"Avery...get me out of here....Please..." he begged though he was in no condition to leave.

Avery looked at him worriedly and just hugged him when he pushed her hand away. She couldn't let him leave the hospital, not now, not anytime soon or before he was feeling better. If he didn't recover, she'd blame herself forever for it, and he had to recover in order to become happy.

She didn't know exactly what had happened to Ethan's girlfriend, but he figured that it made him scared of being at hospitals. Maybe it reminded him of her death bed. There was nothing she could do about that, but he had to stay for everything in the world. She'd protect him against whatever would try to hurt him. If she could, anyways.

Hearing him speak, her eyes flashed. She whipped around in the general direction of the spirits.

Her eyes flashed again and became deep crimson.

"Leave. Now." She hissed in a voice so unlike her own, and all of the spirits evaporated into thin air. After that, she collapsed on the floor, heavy breaths escaping her.

The man felt her wrap her arms around him in comfort but he pulled out of her arms as well. He didn't want to be touched now, poke, prodded or stabbed at. He wanted them to just shut up...go silent. Leave him to his miserable life. Ethan thought he made it just as clear as crystal that he didn't want to help...ANYONE. Living or dead. Just then he looked up and watched as her eyes glowed a deep crimson. What the hell was that? He asked himself. Her little trick of sending the spirits away distracting him momentarily. He pushed his call button and motioned to her as the nurses came in.

"D-Don't talk to me...just....just check if she is okay please..." he said biting his lip and watched on to make sure the young girl was okay.

Avery didn't know of her ability to send spirits away, and the skin around her eyes seemed a bit crackled as she finished, but it was slowly starting to heal again already. When the nurse checked her, the woman put her in a bed beside Ethan's bed, putting a cold cloth on her forehead and checking her pulse and taking a blood sample of her. "She seems to be alright. Sir... what happened to her? The skin around her eyes... it looked odd a moment ago." She asked Ethan as Avery lied on the bed. Her usually pale face seemed even paler, and she looked like she was dying. But she was just sleeping out the exhaustion.

When she opened her eyes, they were still that bright crimson color, and she looked like she was lost in another realm. Her breath was ragged and she reached her arm out for Ethan.

His heart was racing as he watched Avery. Something else wasn't right...and he couldn't stop thinking it. He watched as they moved her into a bed and placed it near his own. Damn this hospital....he thought. He just wanted to leave right now and not turn back. But as the nurse spoke to him he snapped out of his own little world and didn't make eye contact with her. He didn't respond either. Refusing to speak to anyone else but Avery and his sister Iris. But as he watched the girl she was so very pale and looked like one of the spirits he had helped at one point.

But hours later he practically jumped out of his skin as she opened her eyes again and looked to him, reached for him. Her eyes were still hazy and deep crimson red. Shaking he didn't know if he should, but he lifted a hand and gently reached out, touching her hand. It was the first time he had reached out to someone since Sylvia's death.

"Avery....come back...You need to..." he said absentmindedly, just looking at her as he laid on his side in his hard hospital bed.

Avery's weakness caused her to not be able to open her eyes for a long time. Her breathing was ragged and uneven and she was seemingly just clinging onto her last strands of life. But she wasn't that much in pain, it was simply a little bit of exhaustion. It had taken a toll on her thin, mistreated body to use such a powerful ability just like that, and she had been aware of the consequences of such an action. Or, maybe she hadn't and she'd just rolled the dice and hoped to survive it. Either way, she had done it to make Ethan feel safe, to make sure he was alright.

When she had opened her eyes, her instinct had been to reach out for him. Because she wanted to make sure he was safe. Her gaze seemed obstructed and it was blurry. Her eyes were still the same, bright red color and it made them look like there was blood dripped into her eyes. She saw him reaching out for her and for once, her eyes opened fully.

"What.... what.... happened...?" She managed as her still crimson eyes stared into his. She was confused, scared, lonely. She just wanted to know what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.