The Sylan: Appropriate Materials for Anatomy?

D

Dolkvier

Original poster
Hello!

So, I was developing this world some few aeons ago and developed a race for it that is made of completely synthetic materials. They, anatomically, were humanoid with extremely scaled hips and legs. Feet were slightly less so, but still not excluded. They also gained 'sustenance' by inhaling vapors from cylindrical containers that were about the size of a cigarette. The containers were just like cigarettes, but instead of addiction(depending), they gained nourishment from the vaporized material inside the container. Not sure how relevant that information is, but it leads up to what I was looking to find out:

What materials that are man-made would be suitable for the general 'flesh' and 'bones', along with some organs, that would allow for a nigh perfect replica of human exterior characteristics?

I hope this isn't too late, but here's my idea.

What you appear to be describing is an Android that almost perfectly models the functions of an organic being, and so here's what popped up in my mind; partially inspired by the Synthetic Humans in the Aliens franchise.

-Skin would be a latex or silicon replica of living human skin.
-Muscles would be elastic fibers that can stretch or contract on demand.
-Bones would be any light-yet sturdy substance. Perhaps metal or some sort of carbon structure.
-Various tubes throughout the body could pump a liquid that allows quick travel for nano-machines to repair damage. The liquid in question would be comparable to blood, and could possibly double as coolant.
-Organs could essentially be miniaturized power-plants and factories, supplying energy to the machine, and providing raw materials for the Nano-machines to work with. With a mix of fuel and raw materials being supplied by the vapors. Additionally, cooling mechanisms to prevent overheating could resemble a respiratory system.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
I hope this isn't too late, but here's my idea.

What you appear to be describing is an Android that almost perfectly models the functions of an organic being, and so here's what popped up in my mind; partially inspired by the Synthetic Humans in the Aliens franchise.

-Skin would be a latex or silicon replica of living human skin.
-Muscles would be elastic fibers that can stretch or contract on demand.
-Bones would be any light-yet sturdy substance. Perhaps metal or some sort of carbon structure.
-Various tubes throughout the body could pump a liquid that allows quick travel for nano-machines to repair damage. The liquid in question would be comparable to blood, and could possibly double as coolant.
-Organs could essentially be miniaturized power-plants and factories, supplying energy to the machine, and providing raw materials for the Nano-machines to work with. With a mix of fuel and raw materials being supplied by the vapors. Additionally, cooling mechanisms to prevent overheating could resemble a respiratory system.
Thank you so much.

This is a lot late but, what if this race was made out of polymer plastics, which are extremely durable and don't break down. These are essentially hydro-carbons. With the addition of ions and transition metal elements you can make conducting polymers to imitate nerve and muscle firing. Unfortunately carbon isn't 100% stable and undergoes radioactive decay on a regular basis. Over the course of centuries this decay becomes noticeable and could impact the functioning of the species in question. Hydrogen is more stable, but still not entirely. Many common ions are 100% stable. Transition metal elements for the most part decay quickly and would thus need replacing a lot more often in this model.
If we make the presumption that their advanced frame simply 'knows how to transport and incorporate this "sustenance",' then its simply a matter of supplying them with their lost, decayed materials. Hell this could cause them to produce nuclear waste, and have to mine the star system (they're in space?) for mineral and carbon deposits, really giving them a drive and a place in the hierarchy of things.

Reactions: Dolkvier
This is a lot late but, what if this race was made out of polymer plastics, which are extremely durable and don't break down. These are essentially hydro-carbons. With the addition of ions and transition metal elements you can make conducting polymers to imitate nerve and muscle firing. Unfortunately carbon isn't 100% stable and undergoes radioactive decay on a regular basis. Over the course of centuries this decay becomes noticeable and could impact the functioning of the species in question. Hydrogen is more stable, but still not entirely. Many common ions are 100% stable. Transition metal elements for the most part decay quickly and would thus need replacing a lot more often in this model.
If we make the presumption that their advanced frame simply 'knows how to transport and incorporate this "sustenance",' then its simply a matter of supplying them with their lost, decayed materials. Hell this could cause them to produce nuclear waste, and have to mine the star system (they're in space?) for mineral and carbon deposits, really giving them a drive and a place in the hierarchy of things.

I'll look into this. And they're a nomadic race in a fantasy world. Kind of hinting at thw whole cliché of a 'ancient civilization' kind of thing. They utilize the strength of their legs, seeing as they are the largest limb on their body, and most durable. Think of the male Monk from Diablo 3. Those kind of legs.

On a side note, I'm developing a world with a bit of an excessive combination of science and magic. Here's the first paragraph of the basic rundown of it I'm developing.

Alkeno is one of my worlds where logic meets magic, science meets fantasy. Within it is the existence of the Big Bang theory, the universe growing in accordance to our own. But with that, the similarities end, and difference proceeds to be the predecessor. Energies of arcane and mythical characteristics mixes itself within the atomic structure of everything in existence, occasionally going further as to conglomerate itself in the Cosmic Voids and Quantum Mechanics. This energy, with its magical properties and omnipresent influence, is mutable and mutating. And so a plethoral quantity of elements, physics, and other things were formed. With this information disclosed, let us continue onto the primary subject: The planet known as Alkeno.

I plan to do a lot of self-educating with this. I could maybe create, based on Dahrinn and yours' information, a few arcane substances that I could transfer over. Thank you for your contribution. :3