The Sword of Weathers. (OOC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh.. The power thing is such a heavy toll on me... xD
When we roleplay, is it alright if I just were to write it out in action than my character actually saying it out?
If it's possible, an example on how magic would actually be like please?
so I have a specific idea in mind?

Reactions: Shade_XY
Ahhh.. The power thing is such a heavy toll on me... xD
When we roleplay, is it alright if I just were to write it out in action than my character actually saying it out?
If it's possible, an example on how magic would actually be like please?
It's fine if you just write it out. I'm also thinking about just having focuses like staves and stuff that make it easier to use magic; some of which might even help to where the caster doesn't even have to verbally speak. To be honest, casters yelling out gibberish words seems kinda funky to me, so a workaround could be presented and at the very least, you can just write it out in action.

As for how it works, it's kind of a case by case basis if you ask me.
Caster says a funny word, their magic reserves are drained to pay for the spell with their body, and then stuff happens. I'm going to see shade about working on a list of spells you can cast and let our magic users pick a few out. We still haven't fully fleshed the magic out, so you'll have to bear with us.

I would be interested, assuming you don't mind rolling the dice on someone new to the site! Below is my completed interview.

"What job are you applying for?"

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Madame Interviewer. My name is Alun Hallows, and I am here to apply for the medic position under Dr. Weaselhoffer, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Why did you apply for this job?"

"Regardless of what the lords and ladies of this fair city have to say, it takes coin to purchase all of those fancy medicinal herbs that go into the draughts they swallow nightly to keep aches and pains away; and vastly more coin to acquire ingredients to treat real illness. Donations to the Temple of Uirmyd have dwindled in recent years, to the point that Her clerics will soon no longer be capable to fulfill their function as healers. In order to address this matter, low ranked and new clerics have been requested to accept contracts at this fine guild. This contract stood out both for its rather mundane requirements, as well as the prestige of Dr. Weaselhoffer."

"What skills do you have?"

"I am considered proficient enough in surgery to conduct operations independent of observation, as well as in common medical practice, herbal medicine and ancient history. I have also completed a full apprenticeship at the Temple of Uirmyd, and have been taught the most rudimentary of her Sacred Words."

"How long have you been what you are?"

"I am the third son of Lord Aeron Hallows, and since both the Heir and the Spare survived to adulthood, I was given over to the Uirmydian Order at the age of eight. I began my real apprenticeship at the age of ten, once I was considered literate enough to meander my way through sacred texts and could be trusted not to run away screaming into the night. Since I am twenty-four, that would make this my fourteenth year as a cleric."

"Are you willing to risk your life for our client if we hire you?"

"If your client happens to be in my care at the time, I am obligated by my oaths to shield him from any harm that would befall him, regardless of the personal cost. To be completely honest, I have never received any training in combat, and would not be of much use to him in field operations. My usefulness would therefore be derived either from preventative measures such as diplomacy, or post-battle medical assistance."

"Why do you think we should hire you?"

"Despite my youth and low rank, I am considered competent enough to operate without my Order's direct involvement, and am trusted by them to fulfill the duties and responsibilities they have bestowed upon me. I am reliable, honest, and well trained in the healing arts that I pray your client will not require on this venture."
Also, I've read your interview. You've got some good stuff, but we might need to make a few changes. We're not completely sure if medic means cleric or physician, since this is a more modern-ish fantasy. Think late 18th or 17th century instead of medieval. You might have to make some changes, but the general idea works. However, a temple that worships a god raises a few red flags. Shade and I haven't gone through religions yet, so like Bellator, you'll have to bear with us. I'm not saying no on anything, I'm just letting you know that there may be changes. At worst, you'll be called a doctor instead of a cleric with a few spells in addition to your medical instruments and your temple will be changed to an apprenticeship or something. But that's worst case scenario, and even that's not too bad.

I like that you sort of get how nobility works though, so kudos for that.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
It's fine if you just write it out. I'm also thinking about just having focuses like staves and stuff that make it easier to use magic; some of which might even help to where the caster doesn't even have to verbally speak. To be honest, casters yelling out gibberish words seems kinda funky to me, so a workaround could be presented and at the very least, you can just write it out in action.

As for how it works, it's kind of a case by case basis if you ask me.
Caster says a funny word, their magic reserves are drained to pay for the spell with their body, and then stuff happens. I'm going to see shade about working on a list of spells you can cast and let our magic users pick a few out. We still haven't fully fleshed the magic out, so you'll have to bear with us.

Yeah, it's kind of hard since you haven't completely fleshed it out.
Might I be able to suggest? Do we have true names going around here?
Like their true secret name which is sort of like how Egypt with Isis and Ra, if you are familiar with the story?
Since we have what you call Spiritual Energy than perhaps, relying on that threads of Spiritual Energy
these sorcerers follow the thread using SE in finding the power over a person or object.
It would depend though, if a being was strong or so it would need more SE and stuff idk
but for small things like a little rabbit perhaps than it would be easy

well overall idk >.>

I am of course completely open to changing those minor details, I just rolled with the first concept that popped into my head! Words like "Temple" and the fact that magic revolved around verbal incantations just brought to mind mystery religions. My concept of Nobility is unfortunately drawn from my soon to be five years in a medieval studies program, which might conflict with what is being presented in this roleplay. If that's ever the case feel free to bash me over the head; I may even learn something!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, it's kind of hard since you haven't completely fleshed it out.
Might I be able to suggest? Do we have true names going around here?
Like their true secret name which is sort of like how Egypt with Isis and Ra, if you are familiar with the story?
Since we have what you call Spiritual Energy than perhaps, relying on that threads of Spiritual Energy
these sorcerers follow the thread using SE in finding the power over a person or object.
It would depend though, if a being was strong or so it would need more SE and stuff idk
but for small things like a little rabbit perhaps than it would be easy

well overall idk >.>
No, the way we see it is different. Spiritual energy is more like fuel. You don't need more or less to cast it at a rabbit or a dragon. You're paying for what you're doing, not who you're throwing it at. I'm familiar with the story, but it implies that players will eventually get enough power to take control of powerful beings like the big baddies we'll encounter. We can't really have that, because it would make casters living gods. The simplest way I can put it is this:
1) Extend your hand (or point your focus if you're using one).
2) Say the funny word. (In this case we'll pretend you said the equivalent of a shard of ice).
3) Have some energy sucked out of you by the almighty cosmos so that they'll allow you to break the laws of physics a bit for a price.
4) A sizable chunk of ice pretty much flies out of your hand (or focus) and flies like a bullet at whatever you pointed at. I like to think this is a silent, non-flashy way. Like just, (word) and thunk, there's a sharp piece of ice stuck in something.
5) Enjoy your newfound powers. Recommended for ages 6+, some assembly required, batteries not included. Oh, and you can only do this a couple of times until your run out of energy and keel over. We're working out the details, but that's pretty much how I think it'll go. The explanation and fluff behind will come later, as will what you can do.

I am of course completely open to changing those minor details, I just rolled with the first concept that popped into my head! Words like "Temple" and the fact that magic revolved around verbal incantations just brought to mind mystery religions. My concept of Nobility is unfortunately drawn from my soon to be five years in a medieval studies program, which might conflict with what is being presented in this roleplay. If that's ever the case feel free to bash me over the head; I may even learn something!
As for you, don't worry about it. If anything, you understand nobles better than we do, since our ideas of nobility come from movies and TV shows. The lore might be a little different here and there, but it's open to interpretation at this point; so we'll never just shoot you down for something unless it's pants-on-head retarded. If we're iffy about something, we'll take it into consideration before deciding we like it and we'll keep it, or it doesn't work and we'll change it.

Reactions: Duwang Chew
No, the way we see it is different. Spiritual energy is more like fuel. You don't need more or less to cast it at a rabbit or a dragon. You're paying for what you're doing, not who you're throwing it at. I'm familiar with the story, but it implies that players will eventually get enough power to take control of powerful beings like the big baddies we'll encounter. We can't really have that, because it would make casters living gods. The simplest way I can put it is this:
1) Extend your hand (or point your focus if you're using one).
2) Say the funny word. (In this case we'll pretend you said the equivalent of a shard of ice).
3) Have some energy sucked out of you by the almighty cosmos so that they'll allow you to break the laws of physics a bit for a price.
4) A sizable chunk of ice pretty much flies out of your hand (or focus) and flies like a bullet at whatever you pointed at. I like to think this is a silent, non-flashy way. Like just, (word) and thunk, there's a sharp piece of ice stuck in something.
5) Enjoy your newfound powers. Recommended for ages 6+, some assembly required, batteries not included. Oh, and you can only do this a couple of times until your run out of energy and keel over. We're working out the details, but that's pretty much how I think it'll go. The explanation and fluff behind will come later, as will what you can do.
Hahaha, I see
at least we got that cleared up
hahaha

"What job are you applying for?"
I am applying for the role of general worker, madam. You will find that I am capable of resolving a variety of situations with ease.

"Why did you apply for this job?"
If you will excuse the secrecy, madam, my reasons are my own. However, I am at liberty to tell you that I rather fancy the prospect of aiding an exploration team as opposed to wiping the cheeks of the wealthy, something I find is a tremendous waste of my talents. No ill will is directed at my previous employers, of course. Serving them was a pleasure. I simply desired a more challenging task.

"What skills do you have?"
I am efficient at most of the small and menial tasks that come with such an exploration. I am also well trained in the culinary arts. I can prepare over 2,500 dishes and know of approximately 5,500 drinks and liquors as well as how to make them and what food or cheese they go best with. I am aware of fashionable presentation and many of my previous masters have complimented my eye for detail in both a gentleman's attire and other less agreeable situations. My experiences in life have taught me various survival skills that can be applied in the scenarios one can expect in your expedition. I can skin a kill as well as I can tailor a suit. My skills, however, do not end in care-taking. I have studied fencing as well as eleven martial arts, and I am able to apply them when needed, madam. Before becoming a caretaker, I was a member of certain organizations. Frankly; I am the kind of butler who can make tea the way you like it while warding off bandits from your caravan; if you'll excuse my bold words. I have a very strong work ethic, madam. Those that I service shall see as little harm or discomfort as possible with me present.

"How long have you been what you are?"
I have been in the service of many families over the years. My experience in caring for families began when I was around 30, so that would be over 20 years serving various families. I have been butler and caretaker of many families, some of which had more than politics to worry about. Needless to say, I cared for the families no other man would care for, for fear of their own lives. Yet, all of my masters made it through my employment alive and well-fed. Before that, I was a spy, although I shall not say where or for whom. I am not ashamed of it, but it may put some people in a rather difficult position.

"Are you willing to risk your life for our client if we hire you?"
Of course, madam. As I have said, those under my care shall see no harm while I draw breath, and will never rest on un-fluffed pillows, or find leaves in their tea; unless they like it that way.

"Why do you think we should hire you?"
You should do so because I am, frankly, an excellent choice when attempting to adventure in safety and in comfort. Because I can cook your meals to perfection, even in the wilds; as opposed to simply burning one's meat over a fire. Because I can set a table while fighting a madman with a hatchet. And because I can protect and serve, just the way you like it.

Potentially introducing: Super-Butler!

Remember, this is just in case no on takes general worker, but I kind of like the character. I had fun with it. Same goes for the assaulter character earlier.

Well, since there's another back-up general worker, I guess my priority lies in my defender character.

Any idea when the RP will start, or are you just waiting for the last spots to be filled?

You guys are amazing. I am surprised by the amount of post done while I was out.

So, we only need to clear what kind of spells will be available and fill the empty position, then we can start.

For now, I need to go through the post for unattended jobs and ask for comfirmation on your participation.

Whose character knows how to use magic? Give an example of his or her spell and we the GM will decide whether it is accepted or not. I do not want to limit your creativity by giving you choices to pick from.

You guys are amazing. I am surprised by the amount of post done while I was out.

So, we only need to clear what kind of spells will be available and fill the empty position, then we can start.

For now, I need to go through the post for unattended jobs and ask for comfirmation on your participation.

Whose character knows how to use magic? Give an example of his or her spell and we the GM will decide whether it is accepted or not. I do not want to limit your creativity by giving you choices to pick from.
my character. ._.""
i am heavily concerned with our magic problem xD
maybe something elemental like a flicker of light to create fire, water to drink.
something basic that makes them enable to create or use in day to day life needs

My defender wouldn't know spells. But I guess he would be intimidating as I want him to be a half-orc (if that race is allowed. You did say myriad races)

My general worker, if I go through with him, wouldn't consciously know any spells, but I did want him to know a song that has been passed down his family for generations, which would be in the ancient language. He would be humming this tune whenever he'd be working. The song itself doesn't actively do anything except for bring good fortune to the singer... If that is allowed, of course.
Speaking of general worker. I wouldn't mind having super-butler and mine going on this adventure. I think it'd be funny how outclassed he is compared to the skills super-butler has and how he'd constantly try to outdo and sass him.

You don't need to yell out jibberish to create spells in the roleplay. It I agree that it sounds silly. You don't need to create words for the spell. Just write that your character spoke and created a sentence with the words of power, creating a spell. That will suffice.

The amount of spiritual energy used will be based on how powerful your spell is, how massive is the area of effect, and how far the distance of the spell from your body.

Elemental spell is okay in my book. Just pay attention to the strength, size, and distance of your spell. A fist size fireball from your hands won't cost much spiritual energy, but a house sized fireball will ofcourse cost you more. Hurling or moving the fireball with magic will also cost spiritual energy. The distance of the spell from your body should also be taken into account. Creating it close to your palm would not cost you much spiritual energy, but if you make it appear behind an enemy who is a meter away from you, it will cost you more.

As for ice and water spells. It would cost you a lot to create water and ice out of nothing. But if you simply move a puddle and turning it into ice, it will cost you less. But if you try to create a stream of river out of nothing, you will die, unless you have massive stored spiritual energy in gems.

Moving and stopping matters with magic is a very useful spell. You can create varias barriers with that simple spell.

I would enchant my clothing with a spell that would stop fast solids from hitting me. It would cost me lots of spiritual energy as well as time chanting ancient words on the clothing to create the enchantment. But after taking lots of hits, the spiritual energy I spent on the clothing would deplete, thus the enchantment will break. If the clothing doesn't take any hits, without maintenance, the enchantment will also break in time because spiritual energy will gradually seep out of the clothing.

Teleportation and summoning is a super no no because, in my opinion, teleportation and summoning spell is a type of spell where you bend the dimension, time, and space of reality. Think of the massive space you're manipulating. That sort of spell will use up all of your spiritual energy and kill you. The spell will still fail in the process.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My defender wouldn't know spells. But I guess he would be intimidating as I want him to be a half-orc (if that race is allowed. You did say myriad races)

My general worker, if I go through with him, wouldn't consciously know any spells, but I did want him to know a song that has been passed down his family for generations, which would be in the ancient language. He would be humming this tune whenever he'd be working. The song itself doesn't actively do anything except for bring good fortune to the singer... If that is allowed, of course.
Speaking of general worker. I wouldn't mind having super-butler and mine going on this adventure. I think it'd be funny how outclassed he is compared to the skills super-butler has and how he'd constantly try to outdo and sass him.

I have nothing against orcs. I'm not racist... much. XD I'm just kidding.

Cool. What about the mystique-ass background song from olden times? I can easily do without it if you say so.

That helps lots.
I'll leave all the details for when I make my CS

Cool. What about the mystique-ass background song from olden times? I can easily do without it if you say so.

Oh forgot to reply about that.

He can sing the song in ancient language, but he won't understand all of the words. Perhaps some mispronounciation will occur. Nothing will happen because whatever he sung will only happen if he knows the meaning of the words and will the song to happen.

I am interested in this. Am interested in playing an anthro kitty cat! I was thinking something like Assassin/Sword Dancer if that is an acceptable job ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.