The Spirit Gate Inn: A home for displaced mythical

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midian

Original poster
Currently I am going to close this to people who have not already expressed interest in the thread. If there is an opening, this message will self-destruct disappear.

Here is the IC thread.

Story: A small group of humans and monsters band together to keep the inn running and try to re-establish the power of Guests (monsters/spirits).

Setting: A magical realism world that's a modern alternate version of Japan. Pretty heavy Japanese mythological influences, but the inn and to a lesser degree the world can have other influences. There are special "doors" in the real world that let the inn guests come and go, but humans have to get special permission or accidentally use one the same time as a Guest. Doors can be windows, doors, ponds, trash cans, and your mom things like crawling under the right desk.

Premise: Parallel to the human world, there's a spirit world with a giant fucking inn that houses all manner of mythical creatures, spirits, and whatnot. Why? Humans and large-scale industrialization have squeezed the mythical folk out of their homes. With cell phones and street cameras, they can no longer hide and can't risk being seen or recorded.

Now, with the inn getting crowded, they have to figure out how to get people to believe in them and their power again without getting "caught" and forced to integrate with humans (in other words, their power lies in being known, but untouchable and unfindable). So a human or two seeing them is fine, but fifteen seeing them and them being recorded is not.

How do they get around unseen right now? Human suits (note: usually not made from real humans).

Rules: 1. I only need 4 humans. If you play a human, you can also play a monster at full or part-time. You can have no more than 2 characters to start with, but you might be able to add more later.
2. No godmodding, Mary-Sueing, or making things terribly convenient. Life is inconvenient for everyone, even spirits.
3. If you're not posting with the flow of traffic, you'll get one or two warnings and then your characters get dropped. PM me if you've got some major meltdown happening and we'll make arrangements.
4. If you're being a jerk to me or anyone else, or disobeying site rules, you get booted. Keep the adult bits within your age group and in the appropriate places.
5. Please avoid generic or oft-used creatures, or half-human hybrids. So no vampires, fairies, general ghosts, werewolves, etc. I am looking for creatures like yurei, wendigos, tengu, thunder birds, cecaelia, etc. Please no sexy catgirls, etc.
6. Posts should be a solid two or more paragraphs barring special circumstances.

Once I get a good number of posts, I'll start accepting people and get the IC thread up. You'll see the link here when it's ready.

Characters so far:

Mayumi the human

Eira the yuki-onna

Yamasato the tengu

Slyphie the mermaid

Chirra the swiftcat

Chrysa the forest nymph

Hana the human

Miriya the bakeneko

Tibbs the tanuki

Tamashi the onibi

Inushiro the inu yokai

For humans:[/SIZE]

[Picture]
Name:
DOB:
Physical Description (if no image):

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

For Guests/spirits/monsters:

[Picture]
Name:
Type of creature:
Preferred food:
Other habits/traits:

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

[Human suit image]
Human occupation (if they have one):
Brief bio on human disguise

mukaitaki-ryokan-traditional-japanese-inn-wood-construction-building-AH4F26.jpg
e3p1094779.jpg

cirrina_by_elluminous-d8zpkea.jpg
latest
3131766802_1f7a558602_z.jpg

2830188664_7c78323bcc_b.jpg
522683883.jpg

4b2427b380edb830ebf302e3bcd5fa30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I solve the whole color/distinction thing by just bolding all dialog:

-------

... "I'm cold, tired..." Yaaaawn... "hungry and yes! Quite certainly not a farm animal." Peet stared back, his night vision very, very good, aided by moonlight filtering in as the sky outside cleared. "Just as you are quite certainly not a rat. Or a cow." His head lowered, his expression a grimace... "This day has been more ugly than any cow..." He harked in mock amusement... "marked by this shining irony... soaked to the bone and doused in everything else wet and nasty, I still need a bath."

-------

Hey @Roose Hurro , I think that's even more difficult to read than colored dialogue-- most of my problem is when disalogue is imbedded in a paragraph, it's difficult to discern and therefore read. So please use the single line formatting :)

Reactions: - Falcon -
Alright... normally, I just write in novel format, with exposition related to dialog in with the dialog. Need to run for work, will see what's what when I get home tonight.

Reactions: Midian
If it's enough exposition, it'd be easier to read if it was made into its own paragraph :)

Hey @daird , just as a heads up, keep in mind the post requirements for this are a couple of well-developed paragraphs.

large.gif

Name: Miriya Namikawa (南川 美梨椰)
Type of creature: Bakeneko
Preferred food: Fish oh yes please FISH.
Other habits/traits: Tends to rub her ear with the palm of her hand even when human, goes crazy for fish and red laser pointers.

Hobbies: Dancing, exchanging stocks, sewing, playing computer games.
Personality: Moody, energetic, vengeful, untrusting, aggressive.
Dislikes: HUMANS, dirt.

History:
There are a lot of legends about how the shape-shifting cats came to be. Rather similar to nekomata - the split-tailed cats - some believe that bakeneko are cats that have been kept for an exceptionally long time. Others, though.... Well, let's just say Miriya thinks that superstition should be left to the nekomata. Her history was born in far less generous circumstances. Miriya was born a very regular house cat during World War II, which meant peace was not a terribly familiar concept to her. To her luck, however, a pair of children found her and took her home to where they were staying. The family they were staying with - a distant relative - scolded the children when they brought home another mouth to feed, and insisted they throw her out. However, the children kept her in secret, and raised Miriya for about 7 months, loving her. By then, however, the family they were with discovered her and, in a rage, kicked both the children and Miriya herself out. From then on, it all went downhill. The children tried their best to keep feeding her and taking care of her, but as time went on, all three of them started starving. The children had started stealing food, begging, but no one had time for a pair of stupid kids and their cat. Gradually, Miriya became more loyal to her masters, and more hateful of everyone else.

All of this came to a head when she was just a year old. The kids had caught a break, a kind stranger gifting them a whole bag of rice and a couple of small sardines just for her. It seemed, however, that their good fortune did not go unnoticed, and another starving person off the streets followed them to their makeshift shelter. The kids fought for the rice fiercely, and in the process the thief pushed the younger one hard, causing her to hit her head on a wayward protrusion and killing her instantly. The grieving elder child and Miriya were left with no food, and both died of starvation a few weeks later. Her deep grudge against the man who had stolen their last shred of hope had sunk in so deep that she held onto it even as she breathed her last cat breath. She woke up moments later, and without any prompting, transformed into a human, determined to take her revenge.

The bakeneko took her revenge against the desperate thief and then began to hunt the family that had kicked her and her owners out of their house. During the day, she stayed as a cat and hid in the shelter with the bodies of her masters, and during the night, she went out as a human with flaxen hair. When she finally found the kids' distant relatives, she tormented them every day until their family was torn apart both by her and the war. Her revenge complete, she returned home and prepared to die along with her humans. Day after day passed, and she realized she was not about to die, so she explored until she discovered a gate to the Spirit Inn. It was there that she waited out the rest of the war. She returned to the human world after peace appeared to return to her homeland and made a life for herself pretending to be a human.

308.png

Human occupation (if they have one): Waitress at a hamburger restaurant (part-time), stock trader (lucratively), test-gamer.

Brief bio on human disguise:
Miriya claims that she was raised in an unknown orphanage whose location she keeps to herself, and has simply decided to make her own way by taking jobs in the restaurant industry.

tumblr_npat8tKh2h1rlulmlo1_500.gif

558bd5351f395d0a438b456a.jpg

tumblr_morlozSXrx1rcufwuo1_500.gif

large.gif

5ac91b430050d5c0a3c6802cc94e515f.jpg

image.php

7917013684594596110.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Midian and Falcon

• Name: Travis/Tibbs
    Type of creature: Tanuki
    Preferred food: fish and fresh fruit. Also fond of cream. Likes coffee drinks (though coffee makes him hyper)
    Other habits/traits: His ears twitch towards sounds, tends to nap in random places and raid the fridge when hungry regardless of meal times. Speaks in various voices for "practice" and not because he's trying to be annoying ;),

Hobbies: Naps, sunbathing, playing tricks, trying to annoy people, shifting into random objects, eavesdropping, gambling
    Personality: Mischievous, kind, know it all, bratty, tough and determined when necessary

Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
    likes - fresh fruit, coffee, fish, naps, games, wagers
    Dislikes - sitting still, being board, getting caught
    fears - getting "stuck like that" / losing abilities

History: Tibbs tends to deflect all questions related to his past. He's older than he pretends, and Some have theories that he pretends to avoid what he'd rather not remember.

• 4cb74d4d7a624a7d3a9b0c0910024a4b.png

judo_tanuki_by_dj_rodney-d9trs1y.jpg

• Haircut V Build and outfit>
    tumblr_m87yhjfUjC1rcb1ygo1_500_large.jpg
    tumblr_ly6ar6C4OU1qb6mdoo1_500.png

• Human occupation (if they have one): Student, theater and communications (radio)

Brief bio on human disguise:
    Using his shape-shifting abilities Tibbs disguises himself as a college aged 21 year old human named Travis who transferred to his school in Tokyo from Boston.
    Tibbs reasoned that any oddities he displayed could be explained away if everyone thought he was a foreigner.

The Tanuki does take his classes seriously, although he's a major mischievous goofball with a love of trolling humans outside of class.

• Love
Not gonna post with Miriya RIIIGHT away, because I wanna get a better feel of the world with Perla first, though. :)

@daird ...

Gave you something to respond to, and this poke, just in case you missed it.

Hey folks, as a gentle reminder, please keep an eye on the length/content since some posts I'm seeing are skirting the "too short" range.

Oh... as an aside, is not-bolding dialog working for you?

Awww.. How can I miss this? I sooooo wanna join >_< Is it too late for me to join? If it is, can you please inform me if you have openings? I've been craving monsters and mythical creatures lately >_<

@Roose Hurro it is working great, thank you!
So my browser crashed, taking my two cs's with it. I'm going to be busy today so I cant start working on it again right now but I would like to reserve an Inu yōkai (dog demon) and then of course my human.

@DANAsaur- I think we have a person or two who showed interest, but didn't discussed making a character, so let's see what you have in mind ^^

@DANAsaur- I think we have a person or two who showed interest, but didn't discussed making a character, so let's see what you have in mind ^^

Alright. I'm going to make a CS now. Expect it posted in a few hours ^_^

Ah, unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to withdraw from this roleplay. I apologize and good luck!

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.