Midian

Stars fear no distance
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Occasionally Tuesdays.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Futanari
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
  4. No Preferences
Genres
Magical Realism, adventures/action, scifi and fictional modern, Medium-high fantasy, complicated romance, Adult, Horror, Japan-friendly, fanbased, LGBT*-friendly, flexible period drama, dystopias, mythological influence, psychological drama and horror... Open to other suggestions as well.
Currently I am going to close this to people who have not already expressed interest in the thread. If there is an opening, this message will self-destruct disappear.

Here is the IC thread.

Story: A small group of humans and monsters band together to keep the inn running and try to re-establish the power of Guests (monsters/spirits).

Setting: A magical realism world that's a modern alternate version of Japan. Pretty heavy Japanese mythological influences, but the inn and to a lesser degree the world can have other influences. There are special "doors" in the real world that let the inn guests come and go, but humans have to get special permission or accidentally use one the same time as a Guest. Doors can be windows, doors, ponds, trash cans, and your mom things like crawling under the right desk.

Premise: Parallel to the human world, there's a spirit world with a giant fucking inn that houses all manner of mythical creatures, spirits, and whatnot. Why? Humans and large-scale industrialization have squeezed the mythical folk out of their homes. With cell phones and street cameras, they can no longer hide and can't risk being seen or recorded.

Now, with the inn getting crowded, they have to figure out how to get people to believe in them and their power again without getting "caught" and forced to integrate with humans (in other words, their power lies in being known, but untouchable and unfindable). So a human or two seeing them is fine, but fifteen seeing them and them being recorded is not.

How do they get around unseen right now? Human suits (note: usually not made from real humans).

Rules: 1. I only need 4 humans. If you play a human, you can also play a monster at full or part-time. You can have no more than 2 characters to start with, but you might be able to add more later.
2. No godmodding, Mary-Sueing, or making things terribly convenient. Life is inconvenient for everyone, even spirits.
3. If you're not posting with the flow of traffic, you'll get one or two warnings and then your characters get dropped. PM me if you've got some major meltdown happening and we'll make arrangements.
4. If you're being a jerk to me or anyone else, or disobeying site rules, you get booted. Keep the adult bits within your age group and in the appropriate places.
5. Please avoid generic or oft-used creatures, or half-human hybrids. So no vampires, fairies, general ghosts, werewolves, etc. I am looking for creatures like yurei, wendigos, tengu, thunder birds, cecaelia, etc. Please no sexy catgirls, etc.
6. Posts should be a solid two or more paragraphs barring special circumstances.

Once I get a good number of posts, I'll start accepting people and get the IC thread up. You'll see the link here when it's ready.

Characters so far:

Mayumi the human

Eira the yuki-onna

Yamasato the tengu

Slyphie the mermaid

Chirra the swiftcat

Chrysa the forest nymph

Hana the human

Miriya the bakeneko

Tibbs the tanuki

Tamashi the onibi

Inushiro the inu yokai

For humans:[/SIZE]

[Picture]
Name:
DOB:
Physical Description (if no image):

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

For Guests/spirits/monsters:

[Picture]
Name:
Type of creature:
Preferred food:
Other habits/traits:

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

[Human suit image]
Human occupation (if they have one):
Brief bio on human disguise

mukaitaki-ryokan-traditional-japanese-inn-wood-construction-building-AH4F26.jpg
e3p1094779.jpg

cirrina_by_elluminous-d8zpkea.jpg
latest
3131766802_1f7a558602_z.jpg

2830188664_7c78323bcc_b.jpg
522683883.jpg

4b2427b380edb830ebf302e3bcd5fa30.jpg

Last edited:
Was thinking Chirra's reason for coming to The Spirit Gate Inn would be his desire to find a "human suit". If that doesn't fit, let me know, and I'll fix.

Just curious, if the creature already has a human (or mostly human) form, do they still need human suits?

Name: Perla Lozier
Type of creature: Will o' the Wisp
Appearance: She appears to be a small, largely colorless child, with translucent white hair and skin. Her glittering golden eyes are the only spots of color on her. It is rather difficult to see her in general, because she actually appears very transparent, like a ghost. However, a small, multi-colored ball of flame floats around her at all times.
Preferred food: HUMAN SOULS None (does not eat food)
Other habits/traits: Does not need to eat or breathe, does not understand puns (reads things literally)

Hobbies: Catching and releasing fish, playing, swimming, stalking watching other people.
Personality: Curious, friendly, caring... in her own way, childish, fairly open and honest.
Likes: People, fish, water, paper lanterns, the wind, frogs, alligators, trees, swamp water, her little fire, lots and lots of other things.
Dislikes: The sun, construction machinery.

History:
Perla has been around for thousands of years, just another one of the many wisps inhabiting the earth. She does not know how she came into existence, when, or why. She also has not met other will o' the wisps, having been brought into existence in a small swamp that held no others, though other swamps can have whole clans of will o' the wisps. She has never grown older nor seems to have grown into an adult's mindset, but most of her life has been characterized by a quiet comfort in solitude. People and animals and plants all live and die, come and go in what feels to her like an excessively short time, and as with most wisps, she has led many a poor human to their death by beckoning them to play and leading them straight into the inhospitable, marshy waters she calls her home. Thus Perla might have stayed for another thousand years, but the humans started disturbing her in the daytime by coming in, poking about, some setting up camps, others cutting down trees. Little by little, her home got destroyed, so she made her way to the spirit realm and eventually came to the Inn. She has not returned to the human world since, though she desperately misses her swamp sometimes.

[Picture]
Name:
Type of creature: Bakeneko
Preferred food:
Other habits/traits:

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

[Human suit image]
Human occupation (if they have one):
Brief bio on human disguise

Reactions: Midian
@Roose Hurro even if the character doesn't have one, you still need to know what it will be and get it approved

@firejay1 unless they pass seamlessly for human, they need one

• Thank You
Reactions: firejay1
@Roose Hurro even if the character doesn't have one, you still need to know what it will be and get it approved

Got it... will update soon as I'm able. A barbecue with friends awaits!

Hey I'm gonna be gone for two weeks, not sure If there will be internet where I'm going.

Okay Sasha, we'll keep your spot held for a couple of weeks and if I haven't heard from you after that, I'll poke you.

• Thank You
Reactions: Stormi
@Wingless_Angel @Uncle Legens Legentis @kimsim12 and @firejay1

Just as a friendly reminder, I'd like to get all characters approved by tomorrow afternoon so that I can get the IC thread up Sunday night. This means that if you haven't finished a character post by tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to assume you're no longer interested. I'm excited to see what characters everyone wants to play :) If you've got a WIP thing going and finish it, please post or PM me so I'll be able to be on top of it.

Okay! Perla is finished! Possible Bakeneko to come. But later. (excuse my poor photoshoping skills)

2r2p5ol.jpg

Name: Perla Lozier
Type of creature: Will o' the Wisp
Appearance: She appears to be a small, largely colorless child, with translucent white hair and skin. Her glittering golden eyes are the only spots of color on her. It is rather difficult to see her in general, because she actually appears very transparent, like a ghost. However, a small, multi-colored ball of flame floats around her at all times.
Preferred food: HUMAN SOULS None (does not eat food)
Other habits/traits: Does not need to eat or breathe, does not understand puns (reads things literally)

Hobbies: Catching and releasing fish, playing, swimming, stalking watching other people.
Personality: Curious, friendly, caring... in her own way, childish, fairly open and honest.
Likes: People, fish, water, paper lanterns, the wind, frogs, alligators, trees, swamp water, her little fire, lots and lots of other things.
Dislikes: The sun, construction machinery.

History:
Perla has been around for thousands of years, just another one of the many wisps inhabiting the earth. She does not know how she came into existence, when, or why. She also has not met other will o' the wisps, having been brought into existence in a small swamp that held no others, though other swamps can have whole clans of will o' the wisps. She has never grown older nor seems to have grown into an adult's mindset, but most of her life has been characterized by a quiet comfort in solitude. People and animals and plants all live and die, come and go in what feels to her like an excessively short time, and as with most wisps, she has led many a poor human to their death by beckoning them to play and leading them straight into the inhospitable, marshy waters she calls her home. Thus Perla might have stayed for another thousand years, but the humans started disturbing her in the daytime by coming in, poking about, some setting up camps, others cutting down trees. Little by little, her home got destroyed, so she made her way to the spirit realm and eventually came to the Inn. She has not returned to the human world since, though she desperately misses her swamp sometimes.

t8wzh1.jpg

Human occupation: None

Brief bio on human disguise:
As Perla looks mostly the same barring the lack of a ghostfire and a fully opaque body, she looks... like a five year old child. So there isn't really a need for a bio besides, "her parents are over there somewhere." She also has never used her human suit (and does not really understand the concept of parents) because she hasn't been back to the human world since.

Last edited:
  • Love
@firejay1 She's so cute I could gnaw on her! <3

• Thank You
Reactions: firejay1
I was wondering, what do you mean by generic ghosts? I have Rebecca mentioned in Sakura's backstory, and I'd like to use her as my second character since the two are linked. I do have a few twists on the usual ghostly persuasion planned, so she won't be too stereotypical

@daird If you're wanting to do something interesting with her, I'm all for it. I was originally thinking not a plain ghost that's basically a transparent human character, but one with special attributes or qualities, like a poltergeist or mu-onna or La Llorona.

Name: Rebecca Stanford

Type of creature: Ghost

Preferred diet: None (doesn't need to eat)

Habits/Traits: Standard-issue ghostly invisibility and intangibility. Air seems to be ten to fifteen degrees colder around her.

Telekinesis: Rebecca can telekinetically manipulate small objects. There doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of objects she can move, as long as their total weight is less than five pounds. Anything heavier she needs to possess.

Possession: Rebecca can possess inanimate objects. To do this, she basically disappears inside the object. The object appears to have come to life.

Locket: Rebecca always wears a small gold locket. Inside is a lock of hair from her corpse. This is her anchor to the world; if destroyed, she will be forced to move on to the afterlife

Hobbies: Reading, watching anime on her laptop.

Dislikes: Her schedule being disrupted

Fears: Her anchor being destroyed

History: The year was 1946. Rebecca's father, a 2-star Admiral with the British Navy, and the rest of the Allies were helping rebuild Japan after the war. Normally, a teenage girl wouldn't be allowed on base, but her dad had enough pull in London to do the job. The family was returning from a brief trip to the countryside when their car blew a tire and rolled over. Rebecca and her mother were both thrown from the car and died.

Normally, that would have been the end of the story, but Rebecca had the disconcerting sensation of looking at her own corpse. It took her several seconds to figure out what had happened, and almost on instinct, she preserved a little bit of her hair. She spent many years wandering Japan, until she came across the Inn quite by accident. She now divides her time between the Inn and the mortal world, but with her good friend Sakura now a resident, she doesn't really have any reason to leave anymore.

Human form: Same as her ghostly form, but solid. Doesn't use it, as she doesn't leave the Inn.

• Love
Yay I have WiFi where I am

Reactions: firejay1 and Midian
Hey, can we not use colored text in posts please?
It's murder on my eyes and I also find it really distracting.

• Thank You
Yes, I forgot to mention: Please use the novel-style dialogue (making each person their own line, like you can see in mine). Colors don't translate well across different light/dark schemes and I want this to be friendly to all players :)

Plus it is difficult for me to read too, and it's really important to know what my players are writing!

Reactions: - Falcon -
Sorry! Didn't know it was a problem for anyone here. I typically use colored dialogue to make it easier to read and distinguish, but it's silly to do that if it makes it harder for people to read, lol. I do try to make each person their own line, but if you want me to split it up more, that's fine, too. :)

• Thank You
  • Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
Thanks firejay! Like forcing my students to double space their papers, separate lines of dialogue are just easier to see and process. I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.