The Spirit Gate Inn: A home for displaced mythical

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midian

Original poster
Currently I am going to close this to people who have not already expressed interest in the thread. If there is an opening, this message will self-destruct disappear.

Here is the IC thread.

Story: A small group of humans and monsters band together to keep the inn running and try to re-establish the power of Guests (monsters/spirits).

Setting: A magical realism world that's a modern alternate version of Japan. Pretty heavy Japanese mythological influences, but the inn and to a lesser degree the world can have other influences. There are special "doors" in the real world that let the inn guests come and go, but humans have to get special permission or accidentally use one the same time as a Guest. Doors can be windows, doors, ponds, trash cans, and your mom things like crawling under the right desk.

Premise: Parallel to the human world, there's a spirit world with a giant fucking inn that houses all manner of mythical creatures, spirits, and whatnot. Why? Humans and large-scale industrialization have squeezed the mythical folk out of their homes. With cell phones and street cameras, they can no longer hide and can't risk being seen or recorded.

Now, with the inn getting crowded, they have to figure out how to get people to believe in them and their power again without getting "caught" and forced to integrate with humans (in other words, their power lies in being known, but untouchable and unfindable). So a human or two seeing them is fine, but fifteen seeing them and them being recorded is not.

How do they get around unseen right now? Human suits (note: usually not made from real humans).

Rules: 1. I only need 4 humans. If you play a human, you can also play a monster at full or part-time. You can have no more than 2 characters to start with, but you might be able to add more later.
2. No godmodding, Mary-Sueing, or making things terribly convenient. Life is inconvenient for everyone, even spirits.
3. If you're not posting with the flow of traffic, you'll get one or two warnings and then your characters get dropped. PM me if you've got some major meltdown happening and we'll make arrangements.
4. If you're being a jerk to me or anyone else, or disobeying site rules, you get booted. Keep the adult bits within your age group and in the appropriate places.
5. Please avoid generic or oft-used creatures, or half-human hybrids. So no vampires, fairies, general ghosts, werewolves, etc. I am looking for creatures like yurei, wendigos, tengu, thunder birds, cecaelia, etc. Please no sexy catgirls, etc.
6. Posts should be a solid two or more paragraphs barring special circumstances.

Once I get a good number of posts, I'll start accepting people and get the IC thread up. You'll see the link here when it's ready.

Characters so far:

Mayumi the human

Eira the yuki-onna

Yamasato the tengu

Slyphie the mermaid

Chirra the swiftcat

Chrysa the forest nymph

Hana the human

Miriya the bakeneko

Tibbs the tanuki

Tamashi the onibi

Inushiro the inu yokai

For humans:[/SIZE]

[Picture]
Name:
DOB:
Physical Description (if no image):

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

For Guests/spirits/monsters:

[Picture]
Name:
Type of creature:
Preferred food:
Other habits/traits:

Hobbies:
Personality:
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
History:

[Human suit image]
Human occupation (if they have one):
Brief bio on human disguise

mukaitaki-ryokan-traditional-japanese-inn-wood-construction-building-AH4F26.jpg
e3p1094779.jpg

cirrina_by_elluminous-d8zpkea.jpg
latest
3131766802_1f7a558602_z.jpg

2830188664_7c78323bcc_b.jpg
522683883.jpg

4b2427b380edb830ebf302e3bcd5fa30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can make character quick links when I get everyone's characters in, Falcon. Thank you!

Reactions: - Falcon -
Oh, my... Spirited Away, Miyazaki's masterpiece! Just had an RP die (1x1), so I'm not only open to fill that slot, but oh so interested. I have two possible "mythical" critters in my roster I could use: Scuffis, my Whist. And/or... well, I can't remember his name, but he's a Swiftcat. Oh, I could name him Chirra. Just thought of that as his "official" species name, but it seems to fit something more personal. Whist are about the size of housecats, though they can shrink down to the size of a mosquito, if need be. They are what I term anti-gremlins, part of a yin/yang natural balance. Swiftcats are... well, as their names suggest. About the size of leopards. Yet so fast, they can't be seen when on the move. Whereas Whist help humans by secretly maintaining their machines/technology (opposite their gremlin cousin's desire to destroy it), Swiftcats help children. Young male Whist establish territories to attract females. Swiftcats, male and female, dash about looking for children in need... though, if you leave a saucer of milk out on your doorstep or porch, you might just attract one, along with the neighborhood housecat strays. It's considered good luck to see one lapping up your offering. Oh, and as for Whist again, only certain, special humans are able to see them. Whist cannot normally be seen, unless they grant The Sight. Both of these critters are my own "mythical" creation.

Don't have any character sheets yet, but I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: Midian
Although I'm slightly iffy on monsters not part of folklore, I'm really intrigued by the swiftlet. As long as it doesn't violate the godmodding rule and I don't have a profusion of monsters that are player created (to avoid people misusing that) I'm okay with seeing what you do with it :) they could be presented as your take on bakenekos or nekomata, too!

I'm so in. I've been waiting for a monster roleplay that excludes the generic trash xD

QUESTIONS: Do the creatures need to be at least somewhat humanoid?

Last edited:

Name:
Shigure
Type of creature:
Kitsune
Preferred food:
Brown Sugar Pop-tarts
Other habits/traits:
Has Red tribal marks near his side burns.
Hobbies:
Drinking Sake, Playing the [BCOLOR=#000000][BCOLOR=#000000]Koto[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR],
Personality:
Lazy, calm, collected, very traditional,
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Sweets, teasing people, laying around, and writing[/BCOLOR]

Exercising, trying, being bored
History:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Shigure has had a long history, one filled with murder and despair, and later loneliness and occasionally some happiness. When he appeared into existence, he was forced to kill to live, in order to survive. His history shadowed by untruths, rumors, lies, secrets, and more. He took interest in the inn because it was such a simple way to the human realm, for which he found enjoyment in teasing them. Later he became accustomed to the food, and decided he couldn't live without.[/BCOLOR]

Author

His human side is unknown just like his yokai side, since he just appeared out of the blue in a store, to buy brown sugar pop tarts, other than that he lives in a small apartment.

Name:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Sylphie Kururugi[/BCOLOR]
Type of creature:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Amabie[/BCOLOR]
Preferred food:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Tuna[/BCOLOR]
Other habits/traits:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Aquatic like ears[/BCOLOR]
Hobbies:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Swimming, reading, archery[/BCOLOR]
Personality:
[BCOLOR=#000000]She a nice caring person, who loves to make friends, she doesn't like it when anyone is in the dumps even if she doesn't like them, she is a pacifist[/BCOLOR]
Likes/Dislikes/Fears:
[BCOLOR=#000000]Candy, cute things, gossip, and cats (even though they try to eat her tail)[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Dry places, hot tea, warm milk, and clowns[/BCOLOR]
History:
[BCOLOR=#000000]She has spent most of her life alone, feeling sad or down all the time. Her mother died from another yokai when she was 6 and asleep. Spending all that time alone made her feel helpless or hopeless.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Librarian[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#000000]Her human form takes a lot to disguise her tail, so unable to walk with her legs she uses a wheel chair to get around. When in the human world she usually has a friend be her care giver, meaning helping her around, with anything she might need help with.[/BCOLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I'm slightly iffy on monsters not part of folklore, I'm really intrigued by the swiftlet. As long as it doesn't violate the godmodding rule and I don't have a profusion of monsters that are player created (to avoid people misusing that) I'm okay with seeing what you do with it :) they could be presented as your take on bakenekos or nekomata, too!

I'll have to look up those two, since I have no idea what they are. A suspicion, yes, given both have "neko" in their names. Been a very long time since I've played in the myth realm... loved mythology and folktales as a kid, but never got deep into Asian/Japanese folklore, mostly European/American. Most of the Japanese/Chinese stuff involved dragons. Perhaps a little Kitsune.

Alright, Swiftcat it is, then! Might take me a bit to get out a character profile, since I've been busy using my vacation time to finish the unpacking I couldn't do when I moved into my present residence over four years ago. Bit by bit! It's also grocery-getting day, so I need to clear up some stuff (tons of stuff blocking the front door, waiting to be thrown out, other stuff occupying the kitchen). Might not be till later, tonight.

Heh... can't say any of my critters have been "done to death".

as far as I'm concerned there aren't as much as you think there'd be on dragons.

True, but I like dragons, so I found some. If I remember rightly, they were all collected in the same book. Nice, big, illustrated volume I checked out of the library, from what I remember.

Would I be able to play a will o' the wisp in this setting? *curious.

Just to let you know, your banner ad says "Spirt Gate". Dunno if you want to fix it but figured I'd point it out!

Reserves a place for a Tanuki later :3

I'm glad to see so many people interested! Right now the approved players are -Falcon- and @daird , so I'd like to try to get everyone approved or otherwise sorted by Saturday or Sunday; if you haven't completed a CS and gotten approved by then, then you might have to hop in the next opening if there is one.

Also, I've noticed a lot of interest in kitsune, but I don't want to get overrun with them, so whoever gets theirs approved first gets to play one; if you're wanting one, I'd suggest having second and third-string choices just in case.

Heh... still working on my CS, haven't ever RPed this character before, so will see if I can come up with something tomorrow. Been a very busy evening, and it's way past bedtime.......

@Wingless_Angel at the moment we have no nekomatas, and yes, you've still got your human slot saved. And yes, feel free to pull from Spirited Away

Syria.png~original

Name: Chirra

Type of creature: Swiftcat

Preferred food: Chicken chow mein, though he also loves fresh trout.

Other habits/traits: Tends to be very careful where he puts his paws, also prone to be nervous in cities if he's not running (all those cell-phone/security cameras). Still getting used to Jaunting. Oh, also tends to put "bullies" in their place. Whether the victim is a child or adult.

Physical Description (differences from above image): Similar to the image above... rust-red fur, cream underbelly, but no black markings! Just rust-red on top, cream underneath. Front "paws" have a thumb, and can be used as hands when he's up on his hind legs.

Hobbies: Travel, likes to collect maps. Also plays with lassos whenever he finds rope.

Personality: Ever curious. And we all know what curiosity does to cats! Because Chirra's curiousity leads him into situations where others might just be annoyed enough to kill him. But being a Swiftcat, he's very hard to touch. Fascinated by the antics of human children.

Likes/Dislikes/Fears: Likes travel, maps, fish and oriental food. And children. Dislikes anything carbonated or overly aggressive/pushy/violent. Main fear would be losing his ability to run. Or otherwise being restrained.

History: Is on his First Jaunt after leaving Hwaorra (the "realm" where Swiftcats normally live). Barely into adulthood, so he still has teenage "issues". Some similar to humans (puberty, awkwarness), others not so much (tends to lick himself frequently).

[Human suit image]:
x-men-wolverine.jpg

Human occupation (if they had one): Wouldn't mind being a school teacher, but, well...

Brief bio on human disguise: Has come to the Spirit Gate Inn looking for one. So, no, not much of a history.

-------

Last edited:
@Sasha Bliss approved!

@Roose Hurro all nonhuman characters need human suits and identities, even if the character isn't going to have/use them at first just so I can stay on top of approving stuff.

• Thank You
Reactions: Stormi
Status
Not open for further replies.